Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Miami County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Bradford Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., March 6, 2010
Bradford Marker
Ohio (Miami County), Bradford — 1-19 — Bradford
Bradford began in 1852 as a construction camp of the Columbus, Piqua, and Indiana Railroad. When the Richmond and Covington Railroad made a junction here in 1864, the village grew with the railroad yard. There were 60 miles of track, a 50-stall . . . — Map (db m28335) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Bradford — 8-55 — Bradford Fire of 1920
On the evening of August 3, 1920, at 10:30, two men hurrying home after working at the local Railway Y.M.C.A. discovered smoke and flames at the D. Arnold & Sons Lumber Company. Bradford firemen, with the help of area firefighters, could not . . . — Map (db m28337) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Bradford — 21-55 — Pennsylvania Railroad "BF" Tower
The Bradford or "BF" Tower was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad circa 1929, at the important site of Bradford Junction. It replaced an earlier wooden tower that stood to its west. From this building, operators controlled the movement of every . . . — Map (db m28349) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Brandt — 2-55 — The Old National Road
You are now traveling U.S. 40, the Old National Road, used in the westward expansion of our country. In 1837 notice was given that this section of the road would be constructed. A toll house was located at the east edge of Brandt. — Map (db m28345) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Casstown — 23-55 — Brigadier General John Webb
Born in Kentucky in 1793, his family moved to the Ohio country in 1797. Taught by his mother and in a log-cabin school near Dayton, he began teaching here by 1809. Purchasing land here in 1811, he served at Fort Greenville in the War of 1812. He . . . — Map (db m28367) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Conover — 17-55 — Brown Township School District #6(Allen's School)
In 1832, Sylvanus Allen's property became the site of Brown Township's sixth and final school district. Following many building expansions, the current building, constructed in 1916, became the home of the Lena-Conover Consolidated School and . . . — Map (db m29839) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Covington — Covington American Legion Monument
Thanks God for the sacrificial service of our armed forces with special recognition to the members of A.B.Cole, Post #80 “Freedom Isn’t Free” — Map (db m93116) WM
Ohio (Miami County), Covington — Covington Civil War Monument
Erected by Langgton Post No. 299 GAR Covington Ohio Mar. 1888 Committee R. Cantwell Commander Byron Crampton, SV Com, C M Gross, Serg Maj — Map (db m93114) WM
Ohio (Miami County), Covington — Covington Veterans Memorial
To the glory of Almighty God in loving memory of all veterans of all wars of the United States of America Erected by the people and friends of Covington, Oho dedicated by American Legion Post 80, Amvets Post 66 and VFW Post . . . — Map (db m93115) WM
Ohio (Miami County), Covington — Covington WWI Memorial
Roll of Honor erected by the citizens of this community in honor of the boys who answered our country’s call and as a memorial to those who made the supreme sacrifice 1914 Worlds War 1918 Orville Bazil J. Lowell Boyer Albert B. Cole . . . — Map (db m93113) WM
Ohio (Miami County), Covington — 25-55 — Michael Ingle
Michael Ingle, the first permanent white settler in Newberry Township, arrived in Miami County in 1804. A tanner from Virginia, Ingle cleared and cultivated eight hundred acres of land, where he grew wheat and other essential produce. He erected a . . . — Map (db m28342) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Covington — 12-55 — USAF Pararescue Memorial Parkway
On February 15, 2005, Senate Bill 156 designated Ohio State Route 48 as USAF PARARESCUE MEMORIAL PARKWAY. The Parkway honors the memory of all Pararescuemen who perished in the performance of their duties. It is also a tribute to the Air Rescue men . . . — Map (db m49270) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Eldean — 19-55 — Eldean Covered Bridge
Originally known as Allen's Mill Bridge, the Eldean Covered Bridge was built over the Great Miami River in 1860 for Miami County by the Hamilton Brothers of nearby Piqua. Its 224 feet place it among Ohio's longest covered bridges and the longest in . . . — Map (db m28339) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Fletcher — The Dilbone Massacre
In memory of Henry and Barbara Dilbone who were killed by the Indians on their farm to the north August 18th, 1813 Buried at this place — Map (db m29840) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Laura — 20-55 — Hanktown
Side A: Hanktown, settled in 1846, was home to eighty-nine of the three hundred and eighty-three slaves, owned by John Randolph (1773-1833), a wealthy Virginian landowner and cousin to President Thomas Jefferson. Randolph had decided to . . . — Map (db m19744) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Phoneton — 30-55 — Phoneton
Once the center of telephone communications in America, Phoneton, originally platted as Phonetown, was established in 1893 by the American Telephone and Telegraph Company (AT&T) as the place to service and operate three major telephone and . . . — Map (db m28347) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Phoneton — PhonetonThe Historic National Road in Ohio — Communications Center
Originally known as “Phone Town”, this community along the National Road was once a major telecommunications center in America. In 1893, the American Telephone and Telegraph Company (AT&T) selected this site as the location for a . . . — Map (db m96437) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — Alexander Post No. 158 G.A.R. Civil War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m17149) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — 6-55 — Battle of Pickawillany1752 — Ohio Historical Marker
In the mid-1700s, France found its influence waning among midwestern tribes as it contested for Native American trade and military alliances with Great Britain. Shortly after Miami Chief Memeskia (also known as Old Britain or La Demoiselle) moved . . . — Map (db m19875) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — Capt. Don GentileA One Man Air Force — Born December 6, 1920, Piqua
Metal marker also has pictures of three aircraft, the Spitfire, the P-47 Thunderbolt, and the P-51 Mustang Stone Inscription: Domenic Salvatore Gentile Son of Paquale and Josephine Gentile R.A.F. 8/41 U.S.A.F. 9/42 . . . — Map (db m17160) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — 14-55 — Forest Hill Union Cemetery
On March 20, 1868, the Ohio General Assembly passed a revision to the Ohio Revised Code allowing for a municipality and a township to join together in purchasing land for a shared cemetery. On April 24, 1868, the Washington Township Trustees passed . . . — Map (db m17140) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — Hospital Care
Prior to 1905, physicians in the Upper Miami Valley took care of surgical procedures in their offices or in the case of emergencies or serious illness on the patient's own kitchen table. Under these circumstances, cleanliness was difficult to . . . — Map (db m29911) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — In Commemoration of the 94th & 110th Reg’s. O.V.I.Mustered in the U.S. Service on these Historical Grounds.
[View of left side of marker] Mustered in Aug. 23, 1862 Battles Participated in by The 94th O.V.I. Commanded by Col. Joseph W. Frizell. Perryville, KY. October 8, 1862 Stone River, Tenn. Dec. 31, 1862 – Jan. 3, 1863 . . . — Map (db m26817) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — 18-55 — J. Scott Garbry
J. Scott Garbry, a 1986 inductee into the Ohio Conservation Hall of Fame, had a lifelong commitment and passion for conservation, historic preservation, and education. His gift of land and artifacts to the Upper Valley JVS led to the creation of the . . . — Map (db m17150) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — 3-55 — John Johnston(1775 - 1861) — Ohio Historical Marker
Beginning in 1794, Colonel Johnston was a prominent Mason for 66 years. While serving as secretary of Washington lodge No. 59, F. & A. M. (Philadelphia), he was delegated to participate in President George Washington's Masonic funeral. Colonel . . . — Map (db m26779) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — 29- 55 — Johnston BarnAt the Piqua Historical Area
With the intention of becoming a "gentleman farmer," John Johnston began development of his Upper Piqua farm in 1808 with a two-story log cabin and this double pen log barn. The surrounding outer sheds were built to protect the log pens from the . . . — Map (db m95026) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — 5-55 — Lock Nine
Completed in 1837, the limestone lock nine served as a catalyst for the growth of Piqua. The lock helped connect the village to Cincinnati (1837) and Toledo (1845) by way of the Miami and Erie Canal. German immigrants traveled up the canal from . . . — Map (db m17277) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — Lock Nine Riverfront ParkIntroduction and Summary
Lock Nine Park and the surrounding area has been the site for many of the major events in the history of Piqua and the Great Miami River Valley. As the crossroads for at least five major transportation systems, the area typifies various periods of . . . — Map (db m17278) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — Lockington DamOne of the Five Miami Conservancy Dams — Result of the 1913 Flood
The dams of the Miami Conservancy District are for Flood Prevention Purposes their use for power development or for storage would be a menace to the cities below.

Lockington one of five dams built by the Miami Conservancy . . . — Map (db m95070) HM

Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — Main Street
Main Street began as a Native American trail that paralleled the Great Miami River. The trail took a shortcut across the east bend of the river thus creating the route that would become the center of the future City of Piqua. This early trail became . . . — Map (db m17313) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — Pickawillany
. . . — Map (db m19876) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — Piqua Veterans Memorial
Erected in tribute to the veterans who served our country in all its wars Presented to the City of Piqua by the Piqua Rangers Drill Team Dedicated May 29, 1966 — Map (db m17299) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — Piqua Veterans Memorial
To the Piqua area men and women who have honorably served in the conflicts of our country — Map (db m17321) WM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — 4-55 — Piqua's Early African-American Heritage
Side A: Piqua's Early African-American Heritage African-American history began in Piqua with the settlement of Arthur Davis in 1818 and expanded with the settlement of the freed Randolph slaves of Virginia in 1846. African-American . . . — Map (db m17147) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — 11-55 — Piqua's Vietnam Home Front / William H. Pitsenbarger
Side A:Piqua's Vietnam Home Front Local views on the Vietnam War mirrored national attitudes of pride and confusion. Piqua citizens participated in the “Letters for Life” campaign in 1970 for prisoners of war. Piqua Daily Call . . . — Map (db m17319) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — Public History Movement
[Top half of Marker] Erected 1898 by the Piqua Chapter, of the Daughters of the American Revolution in commemoration of the last Battle of the French and Indian War, fought near this spot, 1763. [Bottom half of . . . — Map (db m26824) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — Public SquareSign of the Past
Piqua's public square, like in many mid-western communities, functions as the historical and cultural center of the city. Long after government buildings have moved to newer and larger sites, the public square maintains its status as the focal point . . . — Map (db m17367) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — 10-55 — Rural Electrification
On November 14, 1935, the rural electrification movement got its start in Piqua with the installation of the first electric pole financed by the Rural Electrification Administration (REA). In partnership with the Miami Rural Electric Cooperative, . . . — Map (db m17283) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — Shawnee BridgeCity of Piqua, Ohio — 1915 - 2005
The 1915 Shawnee (Lorimer) Bridge was dedicated in part to the forty-four men, women and children who lost their lives in the 1913 flood. The waters of the Great Miami River broke free from their banks on March 25, 1913 and devastated the areas of . . . — Map (db m17322) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — The 1913 FloodSign of the Past
The Great Miami River regularly overflowed its banks during the early years of Piqua's history. The first recorded flood hit the pioneer settlers in April of 1805. During the next one hundred years the Great Miami River flooded Piqua on nine . . . — Map (db m17297) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — The Mills BrothersAmerica's Greatest Singing Group
The Citizens of Piqua dedicate this memorial. We are proud of your Piqua heritage and birth. As musical ambassadors, you have achieved world wide fame and made the world a better place. Dedicated June 3, 1990 John, Herbert, Harry, . . . — Map (db m17298) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — 27-55 — The Village of Huntersville
The roots of Huntersville began when John and Elizabeth Hilliard purchased this former Shawnee tribal land in 1797 from Ohio's largest land speculator Judge John Symmes. When Symmes defaulted on his payments, the Hilliards found themselves . . . — Map (db m17291) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — United Spanish War Veterans
In Memoriam United Spanish War Veterans 1898 - 1902 — Map (db m17148) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — Vice Admiral Stephen Clegg Rowan
(Left):Erected in honor of Vice Admiral Stephen Clegg Rowan U.S. Navy. Born in Ireland Dec. 25th 1808 Died in Washington, D.C. Mar. 31st 1890. Received Special Vote of Thanks of Congress for Distinguished Services Feb. 7th 1863. . . . — Map (db m19195) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — 32-55 — William Moore McCullough / Civil Rights Movement in Piqua
Side A: William Moore McCulloch William McCulloch was born in Holmes County where he was educated in a one-room schoolhouse before moving to Wooster to attend high school and the College of Wooster. He attained prominence as Ohio's Speaker of . . . — Map (db m29828) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Pleasant Hill — Newton Township Civil War Memorial
G.A.R. Dan W Williams Post No 369 Dedicated by the grateful people of Newton Township, in memory of her fallen heroes who died in defence of the Union and who sleep in unknown graves. David Shoe Co G 110 O.V.I. John A. Book . . . — Map (db m91463) WM
Ohio (Miami County), Rossville — 28-55 — Randolph Settlement
Side A: Randolph Settlement In 1833, John Randolph from Roanoke, Virginia, died leaving three wills that requested that all of his slaves be set free and that land be purchased for them. Although contested for thirteen years by his family, . . . — Map (db m111980) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Tipp City — Hyattsville1833 - 1874 — A Ghost Town in Tipp City, Ohio
On this site in 1833 Henry J. Hyatt established the town of Hyattsville. It consisted of twenty seven lots, north and west of this corner. Early businesses included a post office, tavern, blacksmith shop, two stores and a church. The stagecoach . . . — Map (db m79998) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Tipp City — 24-55 — Miami and Erie Canal Lock 15
[Side A:] This section of the Miami and Erie Canal, constructed from 1833-1837, was vital to this region's commerce and development. It allowed for farmers and businesses to get their goods to larger markets at a lower cost and faster . . . — Map (db m18385) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Tipp City — Tipp City Veterans Memorial
In Honor of All Who Serve “Day is done Gone the sun From the hills From the lakes From the sky All is well Safely rest God is nigh” — Map (db m18633) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 22-55 — 1804 Iddings Log House
The 1804 Iddings House is the oldest structure on its original site in Miami County. A second generation American and cousin to General “Mad” Anthony Wayne, Benjamin Iddings brought his wife, Phoebe, and six of their ten children up the . . . — Map (db m18429) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Courthouses and JailHistory in Downtown Troy
Log Jail built here, 1808 Log Jailers house built beside it in 1810. A second floor over both served as Troy’s second courthouse 1811- 1824. Troy’s fourth courthouse— Two-story, Greek Revival, brick building with columns in . . . — Map (db m107364) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 001 — Dilts Warehouse Plant No. 1WACO History
The “Dilts Warehouse”, the first manufacturing location used by the Advance Aircraft Company of Troy, a company later to become the WACO Aircraft Company. It produced airplanes in Troy from 1923-1928. The location was also a former . . . — Map (db m19751) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 26-55 — Elizabeth Township
Elizabeth Township was founded in 1807. The Elizabeth Township House was built about 1870, serving as the community's assembly hall. The building is similar to the seven remaining one-room, brick schoolhouses, built throughout the township between . . . — Map (db m28340) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 003 — Engine Storage LocationWACO History
This location, 209 East Water Street, was at one time one of the manufacturing locations for The Hayner Distillery Company of Troy, Ohio, noted for shipping their mail order alcohol products to their customers nation wide and for the development of . . . — Map (db m19754) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Historic Lock 12A Long Hidden Relic of the Miami & Erie Canal
In front of you is a “footprint” of Lock 12 using a portion of the lock stones from the original Lock 12. It’s constructed in accordance with the original dimensions of Lock 12. The historic display is placed on land owned by the City of . . . — Map (db m104415) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Hobart Brothers CompanyAt Lock 12 of the Miami & Erie Canal — 1917- 2017
Founded on March 24, 1917 by C.C. Hobart, his wife Ella and sons, Charles, Edward and William, Hobart Brothers Company was built on C.C.’s interest and experience in manufacturing. He had worked for the Edison Electrical Illuminating Company in . . . — Map (db m104450) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 13-55 — Junior Girls Canteen 1943-1946
During World War II, forty of Troy's teenage girls, their mothers, and volunteers operated a free canteen service for troops on the platform of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad station. The group began as a few neighborhood girls providing magazines to . . . — Map (db m19746) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — LFWB&G Building170 Year Old Building of Used Material — Recycling in the Nineteenth Century
Erected in 1847 out of the brick of the first Miami County Courthouse, which was located on the Public Square and razed in 1845 — Map (db m107374) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 33-55 — Miami and Erie CanalFootprint of Lock 12
Construction of the Miami Extension of the Miami and Erie Canal, which included Troy, began around 1834. Lock 12 was built in 1836. General William Henry Harrison and other dignitaries officially opened the Troy section on July 4, 1837. The canal . . . — Map (db m122871) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Miami County War Savings Quota Plaque
In recognition of the patriotism of the people of Miami County who oversubscribed their war savings quota in 1918 this tablet is gratefully erected by the Oho War Savings Committee — Map (db m107362) WM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 15-55 — Overfield Tavern
Benjamin Overfield (1774-1831), son of a Revolutionary War soldier, opened his tavern in this log house on September 13, 1808. Never moved, it is the oldest surviving building in Troy. The tavern provided food, lodging and space for business and . . . — Map (db m19747) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Rose Hill Cemetery 1849
War Veterans buried here: American Revolution: Aaron Tullis 1753-1840 Alexander Telford 1759-1844 John W. Meredith 1760-1844 Indian Campaigns: William Gahagan, Scout for Gen. Wayne, 1794 War of 1812: 25 Soldiers, . . . — Map (db m107341) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Sheriff’s House and JailPart of the Complex in Downtown Troy
Sheriff’s House built in 1826 Jail in rear built in 1830. Both served until 1854, when the brick sheriff’s house and the stone jail across the street were completed. — Map (db m107375) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Staunton Veterans Memorial
In memory of Veterans Revolutionary War and War of 1812 They served with honor — Map (db m97837) WM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 16-55 — Thomas Cemetery / Abraham Thomas
Side A: Thomas Cemetery Thomas Cemetery is the resting place for many of Concord Township's and Miami County's early settlers. The cemetery is maintained by Concord Township. This marker was placed here in Miami County's and Concord . . . — Map (db m28352) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Troy Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to those men and women who served America in times of peace and war May 30, 1992 — Map (db m90711) WM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Troy's Public Square & Third Courthouse
Miami County formed and Troy chosen as county seat in 1807. Andrew Wallace laid out Public Square as site of Courthouse, and surveyed first 87 lots of Troy, bounded by Water, Clay, Canal, and Oxford Streets. Two-story brick Courthouse, 40' x . . . — Map (db m76522) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Twin Arch Stone CulvertMiami & Erie Canal — How Does a Canal Cross a Creek?
The Twin Arch stone culvert was constructed in 1837 as part of the “extension” of the original Miami and Erie Canal which ran from Dayton to Piqua. The purpose of the Twin Arch was to carry stream water from the Howell Ditch under the . . . — Map (db m122981) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — 7-55 — WACO Aircraft Company(Weaver Aircraft Company)
Founded in 1921 as the Weaver Aircraft Company and located in Lorain, Ohio, the Waco Aircraft Company relocated to Troy in March 1923. It was the first aircraft company to use assembly line production and shock strut landing gear. Leading all . . . — Map (db m40631) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Vandalia — Taylorsville

One of five dams built by the Miami Conservancy District for flood control in the Miami Valley

Completed 1922 Height 78 ft. Length 3000 ft. Width at base 415 ft.

The Dams of the Miami Conservancy District are for . . . — Map (db m83117) HM

Ohio (Miami County), West Milton — 1- 55 — 1804 Quaker Meeting HouseWest Branch Burial Ground, Marker #1
To commemorate the first church erected in Union Township, Miami County, Ohio, this log replica was constructed in 1976 by the Union Township 4-H Clubs and the West Milton area Camp Fire Girls.

The Laura Lions Club established this . . . — Map (db m90539) HM

Ohio (Miami County), West Milton — 31- 55 — Charles Furnas 1880- 1941
Side A In 1908, West Milton native Charles Furnas worked as a machinist in Dayton doing odd jobs for the Wright Brothers, the inventors of the first practical airplane. At that time the U.S. Army had agreed to purchase an aircraft . . . — Map (db m90599) HM
Ohio (Miami County), West Milton — John HooverWest Branch Burial Ground, Marker #3 — Ancestor of the President
John Hoover 1760 – 1831 Sarah Burkett Hoover 1767 – 1843 great- great- grandparents of the Honorable Herbert C. Hoover placed by Fort Greenville Daughters of the American Revolution 1957 — Map (db m90541) HM
Ohio (Miami County), West Milton — The Brick WallWest Branch Burial Ground, Marker #2 — Site of Old Meeting House
Erected 1948 in memory of Samuel and Anna Jay Jones this wall contains brick from the Friends Meeting House which stood across the road in active service from 1804 to 1906 — Map (db m90540) HM
Ohio (Miami County), West Milton — The Underground Railroad in West Milton
Side A: In the year 1798, several prospectors traveled north from their North Carolina homes in search of new lands for themselves and their friends. Four of these known Quaker prospectors were John Mast, Jr., Martin Davenport and David . . . — Map (db m19749) HM
Ohio (Miami County), West Milton — West Milton Friends Meeting
The West Milton Friends Meeting, established as a meeting for worship May 14, 1874, was made a preparative meeting of West Branch Monthly Meeting, May 15, 1883. It became a monthly meeting on May 21, 1927 by action of West Branch Quarterly Meeting, . . . — Map (db m18426) HM
Ohio (Miami County), West Milton — West Milton Korean War Memorial
A Korean War Memorial 1950 to 1953 5.7 Million Americans Served 55,000 Americans Killed 103,000 Were Wounded and 8200 Americans Missing in Action Dedicated 24 December 1988 — Map (db m18423) WM

78 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.