Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Montgomery County Texas Historical Markers

 
Conroe City Hall image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, May 13, 2018
Conroe City Hall
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 7867 — Conroe
Established in the forest in 1881 as Isaac Conroe's sawmill, 2-1/2 mi. east of present site, at juncture of two railroads, first named Conroe's Switch; then Conroe's; in 1890, Conroe.

Lumbering brought prosperity. Chosen county seat in 1889. . . . — Map (db m117345) HM

Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 17662 — Conroe Fire of 1911
On February 21, 1911 around 1:30 in the morning, a fire broke out in the Capitol Drug Store on Chambers (today North Main) Street. The blaze was well underway before it was discovered and northerly winds began sweeping the flames southeastward . . . — Map (db m117347) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 12320 — Conroe Telephone Exchange
A long distance telephone line ran from Houston to Gilbert's Drug Store in Conroe before Mr. Gilbert and Albert Madeley began a local telephone exchange in the store in 1899. Soon after, George Madeley purchased the exchange, naming it Conroe . . . — Map (db m117348) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 17660 — Montgomery County Courthouses
The Montgomery County Courthouse in the center of downtown Conroe memorializes the remarkable history of one of the oldest counties in the state of Texas. Montgomery County is the third county created by the Republic of Texas, originally part of the . . . — Map (db m117350) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 7868 — The Isaac Conroe PropertyTemporary Montgomery County Courthouse
A native of New Jersey, Isaac Conroe (1834-1897) served with the Union army during the Civil War. Moving to Southeast Texas with his wife Margaret (Richardson) (1846-1896) in 1866, he lived at Lynchburg and Houston. In 1878 he built a sawmill at . . . — Map (db m117363) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7865 — Former Homesite of Joseph L. Bennett
Joseph L. Bennett, who came to Texas in 1834 and settled in this area, joined the Texas army in early 1836. As captain of a company of local volunteers, he left this area about March 1, 1836, to lead his troops to aid Texan forces at the Alamo. Upon . . . — Map (db m56760) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), New Caney — 7892 — New Caney
Permanent settlement in what is now New Caney began in the 1860s. The area was first called Presswood for the pioneer family of Austin and Sarah (Waters) Presswood. The Presswoods came to Texas in 1862, purchased land in the area, and raised cattle . . . — Map (db m117349) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.