Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in New York

8733 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 8533
 
Wideview of The Elms Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin Craft, September 30, 2016
Wideview of The Elms Marker
New York (Albany County), Albany — "The Elms" — Home of Verplank Colvin
On Western Ave 0.2 miles west of Cortland Place, on the left when traveling east.
Surveyor of the Adirondack wilderness and state lands from 1872 to 1900. Champion of the N.Y. Forest Preserve — Map (db m15237) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — 10th Ward War Memorial
On Central Avenue (New York State Route 5) south of Henry Johnson Boulevard, on the right when traveling south.

Dedicated to the memory of the men and women from The 10th Ward who served their country in time of war — Map (db m115725) WM

New York (Albany County), Albany — 1624-1924
On Eagle Street at Corning Place on Eagle Street.
In commemoration of the three hundredth anniversary of the founding in 1624 of the first permanent settlement of Albany, then known as Fort Orange, near the site of Fort Nassau built in 1614 and abandoned in 1617. With the establishment of . . . — Map (db m64993) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — 1816 Dwelling House

The Dwelling House or "Bell House" contained a kitchen, large community dining rooms, and retiring rooms (bedrooms). At the height of this community, 100 Shakers lived in the main building and the 'T' shaped wing. On its roof in a cupola, hung . . . — Map (db m115659) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — 1st Telephone Central Office in New York State
On Broadway south of Maiden Lane, on the right when traveling south.
1st Telephone Central Office in New York State opened near this site March 18, 1878 — Map (db m116743) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — 200th Anniversary of Albany Charter
On Eagle Street at Corning Place, on the left when traveling south on Eagle Street.
Tablet commemorating the Two Hundredth Anniversary of Albany As a chartered city Settled about 1624: Charter Granted by Gov. Dongan: July 22 1606: State Legislature Held Here Permanently Since 1797: Early Names Of The City: . . . — Map (db m5560) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — 200th Anniversary of the Birth of George Washington
On South Swan Street, on the right when traveling east.
By his faith in God and man he built our nation Erected in 1932 by the New York State Commission for the celebration of the two hundredth anniversary of the birth of George Washington Hon. Franklin D. Roosevelt, Governor Hon. . . . — Map (db m8126) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — A City of Outstanding Historical Significance
On North Pearl Street (New York State Route 32) at State Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling south on North Pearl Street.
The city of Albany is home to six National Historic Landmarks and more than 4,000 properties listed on the New York State and National Register of Historic Places. In 2015, Albany was designated a Preserve America Community by President . . . — Map (db m116698) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Academy Park
On Washington Avenue at Eagle Street on Washington Avenue.
Established in 1882, a hill on the site required the removal of 10,000 loads of sand and clay filling a gully on the north side of Elk Street where present houses were built. Albany 300 - 1686-1986 - Still making History Erected by Albany . . . — Map (db m64997) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Albany - Capital of New York 200 Years
On Broadway, on the right when traveling north.
In Honor of the 200th Anniversary of the 1797           City of Albany           1997 Serving as the Capital City of the State of New York For twenty years, after the establishment of the State of new . . . — Map (db m5540) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Albany Medical College
On Eagle Street at Lancaster Street, on the right when traveling south on Eagle Street.
On 2 January 1839 The Albany Medical College reopened and occupied the Lancaster School designed by Philip Hooker in 1816 — Map (db m116752) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Albany Pump Station
On Montgomery Street (parking lot), on the right when traveling south.
The original Quackenbush pumping sta. engines pumped water from Hudson River to reservoirs until Dec. 1932. In Charge of Construction: I.C. Chesbrough. Engineer; J.H. Mars, Engineer For Pump Engine Constr. 1874 Designated as an Albany . . . — Map (db m4190) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — America's First Shaker Settlement
On Heritage Lane (New York State Route 151) at Meeting House Road, on the left when traveling south on Heritage Lane.

[Title is text]

Shaker Heritage Society Museum and Gift Shop — Map (db m115695) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — An English Neighborhood
On State Street at Lodge Street on State Street.
After the English gained control of the Hudson Valley from the Dutch in 1674, they established a strong presence in the town they renamed Albany. Soldiers headquartered at Fort Frederick just above this intersection. They formed a masonic lodge in . . . — Map (db m76382) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — B. Lodge & Company — ”Albany’s Oldest Store”
Near North Pearl Street (New York State Route 32) south of Columbia Street, on the right when traveling north.
The City of Albany Salutes B. Lodge & Co. ”Albany’s Oldest Store” Established 1867 Presented by Mayor Gerald D. Jennings January 11, 1999 Map (db m116738) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Birthplace of Modern Electricity
On Washington Ave. (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling west.
Here discovering magnetic induction, Joseph Henry pioneered the telegraph and electric motor, 1829 - 31 — Map (db m127919) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Bleecker Park
On Eagle Street at Madison Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Eagle Street.
In 1835 the City appropriated $1,000 and citizens raised a fund to enclose it within an iron fence. A fountain, the first in the city, dedicated in 1863. Albany 300 - 1686-1986 - Still making History — Map (db m65000) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Boardman & Gray Piano Factory
On Broadway at Ferry Street, on the right when traveling east on Broadway.

Built as the Boardman & Gray Piano Factory in 1853, it later became the Regent Shirt Factory, then the offices of the Brandow Printing Co. — Map (db m115701) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Brethren's Workshop (1822)
On Meeting House Road, on the left when traveling north.

The Brethren's Shop was used by the men and boys for various crafts including shoe making and tinsmithing. The porches and dormers were added in 1930 and the building is now used by Albany County as offices.

A date stone in the basement is . . . — Map (db m115662) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Chester Alan Arthur
On Cemetery Avenue.
Twenty First President of the United States Born October 5, 1830 Died November 18, 1886 — Map (db m95485) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — City Hall Carillon
On Eagle Street at Corning Place, on the right when traveling east on Eagle Street.
Initiated by William Gorham Rice. Completed in 1927. Restored in 1986 celebrating Albany's Tricentennial of the Dongan Charter through the generous contributions of the citizens of Albany. Albany 300 - 1686-1986 - Still making History Erected by . . . — Map (db m64992) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Court of Appeals
On Eagle Street just east of Pine Street, on the right when traveling east.
Highest tribunal in New York State This building erected 1842 State Education Department 1940 — Map (db m64995) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Creamery (1856)

The Shakers stored milk in the creamery to keep it cool. Milk was brought from the barn in large milk cans, which were then kept cool in troughs filled by water diverted from the creek. Later the building was used as a hen house; now it is used . . . — Map (db m115688) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Declaration of Independence Centennial Memorial
On Broadway (New York State Route 5) north of Hudson Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
The Declaration of Independence Was first publicly read in Albany by order of the Committee of Safety July 19, 1776 in front of this City Hall, then on this site. This memorial of the event was placed here by the citizens . . . — Map (db m116673) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — First Church in Albany (Reformed)
On North Pearl Street (New York State Route 32) at Orange Street, on the right when traveling south on North Pearl Street.
Organized 1642 Present building designed by Philip Hooker erected 1798 — Map (db m116733) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — First Plastic
On Delaware Avenue.
Celluloid-invented 1868 by John Wesley Hyatt First Use- Billiard Balls Albany Billiard Ball Co. — Map (db m129994) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — First Railroad
On Western Ave at Madison Ave., on the right when traveling east on Western Ave. Reported missing.
Near Here Mohawk and Hudson First Railroad Chartered in this Country, 1826, Began its Run Albany to Schenectady. — Map (db m36635) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Frederick
On State Street at Eagle Street, on the left when traveling east on State Street.
Fort Frederick Governor Edmund Andros Made an Inspection in Albany in 1676 and Found Fort Orange, Located Near the Foot of Madison Avenue in Poor Condition. He Ordered a New Fort Constructed at a Site in the Center of State Street Just West of Lodge . . . — Map (db m5248) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Frederick
On Eagle Street at Eagle Street and State Street, on the right when traveling south on Eagle Street.
In the Middle of this Street To the East Stood Fort Frederick Goal of Burgoyne's Drive to Split the Colonies - 1777 — Map (db m5280) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Frederick
On Eagle Street at Eagle Street and State Street, on the right on Eagle Street.
Facing The River On an Eminence in This Broad Street. Opposite St Peters Church Stood, Fort Frederick. Built About 1676. Removed 1789. Gallows Hill to the South. Fort Burial Ground, to the North. — Map (db m5405) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Fort Van Nassau
On Smith Blvd, on the right when traveling south.
Built 1614 By The Dutch Explorers. Christiaensen And Block First Trading Center Established In New York State. — Map (db m103295) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — NY-21 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
On Northern Boulevard, on the right when traveling south.
Through this Place Passed Gen. Henry Knox In the Winter of 1775 - 1776 To Deliver To Gen. George Washington At Cambridge The Train of Artillery From Fort Ticonderoga Used to Force the British Army to Evacuate Boston . . . — Map (db m23717) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — General Philip Henry Sheridan Monument
On Eagle Street.
Philip Henry Sheridan, General United States Army. Born Albany NY. March 6th 1831, Died Nonquitt Mass. August 5th, 1888.

Erected by the citizens of Albany and the state of New York under chapter 100 of the laws of 1914. Commissioners: . . . — Map (db m95584) WM

New York (Albany County), Albany — General Washington
On Washington Avenue (New York State Route 5) east of Swan Street, on the right when traveling east.

traveled this road on his tours of the Mohawk Valley 1782 and 1783. — Map (db m115354) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Glenn Curtiss Flight
On Smith Boulevard, on the right when traveling south.
From This Ground Glenn Curtiss Began The First Long Distance Airplane Flight Albany To New York May 29, 1910. — Map (db m13308) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Henry Hudson
On Broadway (New York State Route 5) north of Hudson Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Explorer, here ended the voyage of the Half Moon in quest of the Indies September, 1609 — Map (db m116689) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Herman Melville
On Orange Street near North Pearl Street, on the left when traveling east.
Author of "Moby Dick" Studied and Worked During Formative Years in Albany 1830 - 1838. Family Home at 3 Clinton Square 1834-1838 — Map (db m32335) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Historic State Street
On State Street (New York State Route 5) east of Eagle Street, on the right when traveling east.
This section of State Street is arguably the oldest continuously operating commercial avenue in the United States. What began as a path in the woods cut by Native peoples and Dutch beaver trappers and traders became the main east-west . . . — Map (db m116688) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Joseph Henry — Pathfinder in Science
Near Elk Street.
Joseph Henry Pathfinder in Science Born in Albany 1797 Died in Washington 1878 [Left Panel]: I arranged around one of the upper rooms in the Albany Academy a wire of more than a mile in length throvgh which I was enabled . . . — Map (db m11749) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Kilian Van Rensselaer
On Eagle Street at Corning Place, on the left when traveling north on Eagle Street.
Kilian Van Rensselaer the Progenitorof the Van Rensselaer family in America, a merchant of Amsterdam Holland, the original proprietor and first patroon of the Manor of Rensselaerwyck, under a grant from the Dutch government in 1629. In following . . . — Map (db m116749) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — LaFayette Park
On Washington Avenue just south of Hawk Street.
Named in honor of the Marquis de LaFayette who commanded troops at Albany in 1778. Returned here in 1784 on his way to Fort Schuyler was entertained by the State of New York and the City of Albany during his visits in 1824-1825. — Map (db m64999) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lil's Diner
On Broadway east of Ferry Street, on the right when traveling east.

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m115699) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Lincoln in Albany
"I hold myself without mock modesty, the humblest of all individuals that have ever been elevated to the Presidency....You have generously tendered me the united support of the great Empire State." - Abraham Lincoln speaking to the New York . . . — Map (db m5191) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lincoln Mourned
"The face had an expression of absolute content, of relief, at throwing off a burden such as few men have been called upon to bear --- a burden which few men could have borne." - Recollections of New York Secretary of State Chauncey M. Depew. . . . — Map (db m5192) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lincoln Park
On Eagle Street at Pine Street on Eagle Street.
In 1886 the site was unimproved: “wild and rugged in every respect.” Formerly known as Delaware Square, Delaware Park, Beaver Park — Map (db m131656) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lydius Corner
On State Street (New York State Route 5) at North Pearl Street, on the right when traveling west on State Street.
. . . — Map (db m116731) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Ministry Shop (1825)

This brick building was used by the ministry elders. Each member of the ministry had to perform daily manual labor such as shoe making or tailoring. Elder Chauncey Copeley a cabinet maker, worked in a wing added to the building in 1850. . . . — Map (db m115660) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Mother Ann Lee — 1736 - 1784
On Meeting House Road, on the left when traveling north.

First leader of the Shakers, a celibate Christian community. Their first settlement was in what is now Colonie. — Map (db m115692) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — New York State Office Building
On South Swan Street near State Street, on the left when traveling east.
New York State Office Building Cornerstone Laid By Gov. Alfred E. Smith, 1928. — Map (db m8024) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — NSDAR Revolutionary Soldiers Memorial
On Washington Avenue just north of Eagle Street, on the left when traveling south.
The New York State Organization National Society Daughters of the American Revolution honors the courage and valor of more than 41,000 patriot troops in the line. The levies and the militia from New York Colony and State who left their homes and . . . — Map (db m64998) WM
New York (Albany County), Albany — NYS Capitol & Albany City Hall
On Eagle Street north of State Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling north.
In 1885, American Architect and Building News named "The Best Ten Buildings in the United States." Two of those selected were the New York State Capitol and Albany City Hall, before you and to your right. The Capitol was chosen . . . — Map (db m116699) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Patroon Street
On North Pearl Street (New York State Route 32) 0.1 miles south of Clinton Avenue (U.S. 9), on the right when traveling south.
Former name of Clinton Ave. This was the dividing line between the City of Albany and the Manor of Rensselaerwyck — Map (db m116736) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 1 New York City 1993-1997
Near Broadway at Quay Street.
When the USS Slater returned from Greece to dock at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City on August 27, 1993, the state of the ship was appalling. The first goal was to survey the condition of the ship and develop a plan of action. . . . — Map (db m49646) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 2 Albany 1997 - 2001
Near Broadway at Quay Street.
In 1997, the management at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum made the decision to downsize and the SLATER was asked to find a new home. The ship was towed to Albany and arrived on October 27, 1997 to a crowd of well wishers. Here, a new group of . . . — Map (db m49645) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 3 Albany 2002 - Present
Near Broadway at Quay Street.
The whole painstaking process of restoring the ship, acquiring the parts and installing the refurbished gear, has been driven by volunteers and would have never been possible without these dedicated individuals. The SLATER's wooden whale boat has . . . — Map (db m49644) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Philip Livingston
On State Street (New York State Route 5) west of North Pearl Street, on the right when traveling west.
One of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence was born on this site January 15, 1716 (O.S.) This tablet was erected under the auspices of the Sons of the Revolution in the State of New York by Philip . . . — Map (db m116732) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Railroads
On Broadway north of Steuben Street, on the left when traveling north.
In the dawn of American Railroads, the Mohawk and Hudson Line (1831), running between Albany and Schenectady, was one of the first built. Juggling funding, inventions, public relations and sheer determination, this railroad evolved from a . . . — Map (db m116703) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion
On Eagle Street (Route 5) at Washington Ave. (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling south on Eagle Street.
1½ Miles SCHUYLER MANSION Home of General Philip Schuyler. Residence of Alexander Hamilton in 1781 and 1795. — Map (db m58880) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion
On Clinton Street at Schuyler Street, on the right when traveling south on Clinton Street.
The Schuyler Mansion 1762 Acquired By The State Of New York 1911 Restored and Dedicated As An Historic Monument October 17, 1917 Governor Charles S. Whitman Trustees Mary Margaretta Manning President James F. Tracey . . . — Map (db m58881) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion
On Clinton Street near Schuyler Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Schuyler Mansion Erected 1762 The Home of Major General Philip Schuyler of the American Revolution Patriot * Soldier * Statesman * 1733 1804* Acquired by the State of New York 1911 Restored and Dedicated October . . . — Map (db m58882) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Schuyler Mansion — State Historic Site
Major General Philip Schuyler commanded the Northern Department of the Continental Army until August 1777. After the Battles of Saratoga, British General Burgoyne stayed here as a prisoner-guest. Revolutionary Heritage Trail — Map (db m58883) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Second Albany City Hall — Erected 1705
On Broadway (New York State Route 5) north of Hudson Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
On the North-east Corner of Broadway then Court Street, and Hudson, then Spanish Street, stood the second City Hall, erected 1705, in which the famous Congress of 1754 “met and prepared a Union of the Several Colonies for Mutual Defense . . . — Map (db m116676) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Shaker Garage (1920)

By 1920, automobiles had become both necessary and fashionable. The Shakers never hesitated to adopt new technology that would make life easier and more efficient. They built this concrete garage for their Packard automobilies [sic]. — Map (db m115671) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Shaker Heritage Society Garden — Come in.

The plants in this garden are some of the herbs used and sold by The Watervliet Shaker Community during the 1800's. The community grew large "Botanical/Physic" gardens and also gathered many wild herbs for use in their business of selling dried . . . — Map (db m115658) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Shaker Meeting House
On Meeting House Road, on the right when traveling north.

This Meeting House, or Church, was built in 1848 to replace an earlier (1791) and much smaller Meeting House. It demonstrates many typical characteristics of Shaker architecture; double doors, one for men and one for women; a large meeting room . . . — Map (db m115663) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Sisters' Workshop (1840)

On this location was a large 3 1/2 sto[r]y stone building. Here Shaker Sisters did spinning, weaving, and sewing. Journal entries indicate that Sister Polly wove 3350 Shaker bonnets in this building.

The building was the only stone building . . . — Map (db m115656) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of 1 Elk St.
On Elk Street at Eagle Street on Elk Street.
Residence for NYS Governors Enos Throop - 1830-2, Washington Hunt - 1850-2, Horatio Seymour - 1852-4 and Mayor J. Stevenson - 1826-8 New York State Bar Association — Map (db m64996) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of First Poor House in the United States
On Broadway at Beaver Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadway.
On this site once stood the first Poor House in the United States. Community care for the poor was an important feature of Dutch society, and it took root here in Albany as the city was settled in the first half of the 1600s. . . . — Map (db m116696) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of Main Entrance to Old Capitol — Erected 1806
Near State Street near Eagle Street.
Gen. Lafayette was received here 1824 The remains of President Lincoln and many other prominent men, lay in state here. The State Library was adjoining and with Capitol, demolished 1883. Fronting on this park stood Congress Hall, famous for its . . . — Map (db m64990) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of Martin Van Buren Residence
On State Street at South Pearl Street, on the right when traveling east on State Street.
Martin Van Buren 1782 - 1862 resided at 92 State Street on this site while serving as 9th Governor of the State of New York 1828 - 1829 He is famed for his distinguished career as boy-lawyer, surrogate, judge, state senator, Attorney . . . — Map (db m5439) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of New York Central Railroad Erector Shop
On Commerce Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Site Of The New York Central Railroad erector shop where Engine 999 was built in 1893. '999' was the first creation of man in the history of time to Travel 100 Miles per Hour — Map (db m32251) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Spanish-American War Memorial
On Henry Johnson Boulevard east of Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling east.

Erected by The City of Albany July 22, 1928 in memory of those who served their country in the Spanish-American War —————————— William S. Hackett John Boyd Thacher . . . — Map (db m115726) WM

New York (Albany County), Albany — St. Peter's Church
On State Street at Lodge Street on State Street.
In the middle of State, formerly Yonkers Street, one block below, stood the First English Church, built A.D. 1715, upon ground granted by letters patent from King George the First. It bore the name of St. Peter's Church. The parish was incorporated . . . — Map (db m76381) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — State Education Building
Near Washington Avenue near Hawk Street, on the right when traveling north. Reported missing.
Dedicated 1912. Education Department Offices; State Library; State Museum; Exhibits; Open to Public — Map (db m118762) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — SUNY Plaza — Albany's Castle
On Broadway (New York State Route 5) north of Hudson Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
The grand building before you is home to the headquarters of The State University of New York (SUNY). Founded in 1948, SUNY is the largest comprehensive system of public higher education in the United States. Among the system's 64 . . . — Map (db m116667) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Swinburne Park — Albany 300 — 1686 - 1986 - Still Making History —
On Clinton Avenue at Manning Boulevard, on the left when traveling south on Clinton Avenue.

Named in memory of Hon. John Swinburne, M.D., Mayor of Albany 1882-84. One of four surgeon's to found Albany Medical College. Member of Congress. — Map (db m115735) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — The Albany Academy — 1813...1938
On Lodge Street at State Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling north on Lodge Street.
Chartered March 4, 1813 Held its first classes in a frame building which formerly stood upon this site This tablet erected June 3, 1938 during the Celebration of the 125th Anniversary of the founding . . . — Map (db m116745) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Battle of Henry Johnson
On Washington Park Road a.k.a. Henry Johnson Blvd., on the right when traveling west.
[Top Panel] The Battle of Henry Johnson First American Awarded Croix De Guerre with Gold Palm For Valor [Center Panel] In Memory of Sergeant Henry Lincoln Johnson Albany, New York for uncommon valor in combat . . . — Map (db m42675) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Erie Canal / Albany Basin
The Erie Canal. This site marks the east end of the canal, opened in 1825. It carried products and people between the Hudson River and Lake Erie Albany Basin. For nearly 100 years boats entered the Erie Canal at nearby Lock 1, . . . — Map (db m5174) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Four Immortal Chaplains
On Madison Avenue just north of Eagle St.
George L. Fox, Methodist minister Alexander D. Goode, Jewish Rabbi Clark V. Poling, Dutch Reformed Minister John P. Washington, Catholic Priest During the early morning hours of February 3, 1943 the USAT Dorchester was part of a convoy of six . . . — Map (db m64989) HM WM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Fur Trade
On Broadway at Maiden Lane, on the right when traveling north on Broadway.
Why is Albany Here? Mohawk and Mahican peoples inhabited this region for thousands of years when the Dutch ship the Half Moon dropped anchor near this spot in 1609. At that time, the world was in the midst of a "Little Ice . . . — Map (db m116700) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The King’s Highway — Route of
On Kings Road at Old State Road, on the right when traveling south on Kings Road.
First Dutch road between Albany and Schenectady c. 1663 — Map (db m127902) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Kings Highway
On Eagle Street at Corning Place, on the right when traveling east on Eagle Street.
First road to Schenectady began here near west gate of Albany Stockade P.B.H.P.P. — Map (db m64991) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Townsend Park — Albany 300 — 1686 - 1986 - Still Making History —
On Henry Johnson Boulevard at Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Henry Johnson Boulevard.

Named in memory of Mayor John Townsend 1829-1830 and 1832. Prominent banker and public servant — Map (db m115705) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — U.S.S. Slater — (DE-766)
Near Broadway.
Time: The Second World War, 1942 During the “dark days” of 1940, after the German conquest of France and prior to the U.S. involvement in World War II, England stood alone against the threat of Nazi world domination. An island . . . — Map (db m18188) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Uncle Dan
On South Pearl Street (New York State Route 32) at Second Avenue, on the right on South Pearl Street.
One Second Avenue birthplace of Daniel P. O'Connell November 13, 1885. Albany Democratic leader 1923 to 1977. — Map (db m131671) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Wash House & Cannery (c.1858)
On Meeting House Road, on the left when traveling east.

Shaker Creek provided water for both the canning and laundry operations. The first laundry, done on December 12, 1859, used a steam powered washing machine. Albany County used the building for laundry until the mid 1980s. Today it is a . . . — Map (db m115674) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Washington Avenue Armory
On Washington Avenue (New York State Route 5) at Lark Street, on the right when traveling north on Washington Avenue.

2006 Preservation Merit Award Adaptive Use — Map (db m115739) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Washington Park — Albany 300 — 1686-1986 • Still Making History —
On New Scotland Avenue (Washington Park Road) at Madison Avenue (U.S. 20), on the right when traveling north on New Scotland Avenue (Washington Park Road).
Attained its present form in the years 1869-1884 Design attributed to the concepts of renowned Landscape Architect Frederick Law Olmsted — Map (db m138130) HM
New York (Albany County), Alcove — Paper Mills
On New York State Route 143 at County Route 111, on the left when traveling west on State Route 143.
1818 Ephraim Andrews acquires cloth dressing and wool carding mills. By 1850 John E. Andrews establishes a straw paper making mill — Map (db m131759) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Altamont
On Main Street (New York State Route 146), on the right when traveling west.
Incorporated as a village 1890. Officers: President Hiram Griggs; Trustees Smith Philley, Jesse Crounse. Henry A. Wilbur — Map (db m49530) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 27 — Altamont — Museum In The Streets — Knowersville —
On Gun Club Road at Main Street (New York State Route 146), on the right when traveling north on Gun Club Road.
Few settlers ventured into the wilderness prior to the War of Independence. Roads were barely expanded trails between settlements. The Great Western Turnpike (now US Route 20) carried travelers west from Albany. Following ancient routes . . . — Map (db m133581) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 2 — Altamont Free Library — Altamont, New York — The Museum In The Streets —
Near Main Street (New York State Route 156).
The Village's First Freight and passenger train station was built in 1864, only months after the first train passed through Knowersville. In 1896 the old station was moved south along the tracks. In 1897, it was replaced by the newest, . . . — Map (db m115732) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Altamont High School
On Grand Street, on the right when traveling north.
New York Site Of Altamont High School 1901 - 1954 Altamont High Alumni Association September 1995 — Map (db m66983) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets
On Main Street (New York State Route 146) at Gun Club Road, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
WELCOME TO ALTAMONT The Village of Altamont and its immediate surroundings were once part of a tract of land deeded in 1630 by the Dutch West India Company to Killian Van Rensselaer (c. 1586-1643),a wealthy 17th century Dutch diamond and pearl . . . — Map (db m132693) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 10 — Beebe Harness Shop
On Maple Avenue.
IN 1887, CHARLES V. BEEBE received a patent for an easy riding, swing attachment for farm equipment seats. In 1891,he moved to Altamont and opened a harness shop in the Ostrander Building, in what is now 125 Maple Avenue. In 1895, Mr. Beebe . . . — Map (db m131475) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Dedicated
On Main Street.
Dedicated to those who served our country in all wars. For the glory of God and American independence. — Map (db m131474) WM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Dr. Jonathan Johnson
On Western Turnpike (U.S. 20) just west of Dunnsville Road, on the right when traveling west.
Site of house of Dr. Jonathan Johnson first physician in Dunnsville who came here on horseback in 1808 surgeon in War of 1812 — Map (db m91509) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 12 — Enterprise Building
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north.
IN 1879, JAMES OSTRANDER BOUGHT a large lot on Church Street, and built a thriving shoe business. In 1882, he sold a portion of the lot to Charles Taber, who opened a tin shop on the site. Both businesses were lost in the 1886 fire, . . . — Map (db m131455) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Family Cemetery
On Brandle Road 0.1 miles south of Main Street (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling south.
Family Cemetery Of Early Pioneer Jurrian Severson Grave of John J. Vanaernam Ensign, Revolutionary War Born 1730 - Died 1814 — Map (db m44022) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 11 — Fire Department/Village Hall — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146) when traveling west.
THE ALTAMONT HOSE COMPANY No. 1 was organized in May 1893, with 25 citizens appointed as members by the Village Trustees. The Company's first location was rented space at the Temperance Hall on Lincoln Avenue. In 1926, the Company . . . — Map (db m131453) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 276 — Henry Crounse
On Picard Road.
Union Army Captain NY 91st Regiment Co. D lived and farmed on this site from ca. 1822 until his death in 1901 — Map (db m128002) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 8 — Home Front Cafe — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Main Street (New York State Route 156), on the right when traveling west.
ON 2 APRIL 1864, DAVID BECKER purchased an acre of land from Conrad Crounse for $400, along the newly laid railroad tracks. On this land, Silas Hilton and Benjamin Crounse built a dry goods store, with rooms to let upstairs. The store . . . — Map (db m131500) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Indian Ladder Farms
On Altamont Road (New York State Route 156), on the left when traveling west.
Established 1916 by Peter G. Ten Eyck, Congressman and Commissioner of Agriculture, operated as a dairy and apple orchard. — Map (db m135951) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Inn of George Severson
On Altamont Blvd (New York State Route 156), on the right when traveling east.
Old Schoharie Road Built at close of Revolution First Post Office of West Guilderland as this place was then called — Map (db m49847) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — John Groot
On Western Avenue (County Route 397), on the right when traveling south.
Farm and Burial Place John Groot Officer 3d Regiment Albany County Militia War of Revolution — Map (db m43885) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 15 — Lincoln Avenue School — Altamont, New York — Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north.
BY 1879, THE POPULATION of Knowersville had grown sufficiently to merit the construction of a larger school, and the hamlet's third school building was constructed that year on School Street, later renamed Lincoln Avenue. The Lincoln . . . — Map (db m131471) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Old Plank Road
On Main Street (New York State Route 146) at Schoharie Plank Road East, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
Schoharie to Albany Followed this Route Chartered 1849 Abandoned 1867 — Map (db m44861) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 1 — Orsini Park — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Main Street (New York State Route 156) at Maple Avenur (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling west on Main Street.
ORSINI PARK WAS CARVED FROM LAND the Albany & Susquehanna Railroad purchased from George Severson (1794-1883) in the early 1850s for the railroad's right-of-way. In addition to the railroad tracks, the land included room for a depot, a . . . — Map (db m131477) HM WM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Severson House
On Main Street (New York State Route 146) at Brandle Road, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Built by Early Settler Jurrian Severson Located on Map of West Manor Rensselaerswyck, 1767 — Map (db m44897) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 16 — St. John’s Lutheran Church — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the right when traveling west.
St. John’s Lutheran Church, designed by Albany architect Charles Nichols and built by contractor George Rockefeller in 1871-72 was the first church built in Knowersville. The original church building was 42 x 62 feet and, completely . . . — Map (db m131427) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 14 — The Carriage Works — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north.
HENRY LOCKWOOD BUILT THE FIRST carriage factory in Knowersville in 1874. The VanBenscoten brothers and Charles B. Warner operated the business until the April 1886 Great Fire consumed the original building and much of the stock. . . . — Map (db m131468) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 13 — The Great Fire — Altamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Road (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north.
ON 30 APRIL 1886, FIRE TORE through the business district of Knowersville, leveling all five buildings of the Lockwood Estate, including the drug and dry goods store of Davenport & Fredericks, the carriage factory of VanBenscoten & . . . — Map (db m131465) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — 347 — Anti-Rent
On New York State Route 443.
Convention held here January 15 1845. Delegates from 11 counties petitioned state to end unjust land lease system — Map (db m131413) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Ax Factory
On Berne-Altamont Road (New York State Route 156), on the right when traveling south.
Established by Daniel Simmons in 1825. Said to be the first factory in the United States to make axes from cast steel — Map (db m62839) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Cheese Factory
On Berne-Altamont Road (New York State Route 156) 0.4 miles north of New York State Route 443, on the right when traveling north.
First in Town of Berne Built in 1878 and Made 495 Pounds in a Single Day — Map (db m57477) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Dedicated
On Helderberg Trail (Route 443), on the right when traveling west.
Dedicated to the of those who served in all wars — Map (db m131422) WM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Earliest House
On Tabor Road at Lendrum Road, on the right when traveling south on Tabor Road.
Built About 1750 By Peter Weidman, A Swiss, Stood On This Site — Map (db m101715) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — East Berne
On Main Street near Helderberg Trail (New York State Route 443), on the right when traveling south.
Formerly Called Werner's Mills And Philadelphia — Map (db m50538) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Johannes Dietz
On Switzkill Road (County Route 1), on the right when traveling south.
Near this spot in September 1781 Johannes Dietz and seven members of his family were massacred by Tories and Indians. — Map (db m30756) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Mill Site
On Berne-Altamont Road (New York State Route 156), on the right when traveling south.
For Carding and Fulling Mill Built at an Early Date by Malachi Whipple William H. Ball And Lyman Dwight — Map (db m57478) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Pioneer
On Berne-Altamont Road (New York State Route 156) at Stranahan Lane, on the right when traveling south on Berne-Altamont Road.
Col. Jesse Wood of Long Island Settled Here About 1800. Served in War of 1812. Died July 23, 1853 At Age Of 83 Years — Map (db m101719) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Reformed Dutch Church
On Helderburg Trail (New York State Route 443), on the right when traveling east.
Organized 1763. First Pastor Johannes Schuyler 1767. Oldest Church in County outside of Albany — Map (db m50191) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Schools
On Heldeberg Trail (New York State Route 443), on the right when traveling west.
In 1812 there were 21 school districts in Town of Berne and 30 the next year. In 1816 there were 1710 pupils in school — Map (db m62840) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Weidman Home
On Helderberg Trail, on the right when traveling east.
The Largest House in Berne With Ten Fireplaces Built By Peter Weidman In 1800, Stood On This Site — Map (db m101717) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — West Berne
On New York State Route 443 near Dutch Settlement Road (County Route 9), on the right when traveling east.
West Berne Called Mechanicsville 1830-34 Because So Many Mechanics Lived Here — Map (db m73433) HM
New York (Albany County), Clarksville — Houghtaling House
On County Route 312, on the right when traveling south.
Built before 1770 by Teunis Houghtaling, born May 18, 1740 - died May 20, 1806. Listed on National Register June 28, 2004. — Map (db m135121) HM
New York (Albany County), Clarksville — Site of the Battle of Clarksville
On Cass Hill Road at Delaware Turnpike (New York State Route 443), on the right when traveling north on Cass Hill Road.
On Dec.3, 1839, during the Anti-Rent Wars, Sheriff Artcher and his posse marched from Albany to Clarksville. They met their first resistance here. — Map (db m50488) HM
New York (Albany County), Coeymans — Coeymans — The World War
On Westetrlo Street Extended, in the median.
A tribute to those from this town who served their country in the World War — Map (db m131674) WM
New York (Albany County), Coeymans — Coeymans
On Main Street (New York State Route 143) at Westerlo Street, in the median on Main Street.
Town formed March 18, 1791 from Watervliet. A part went to form Westerlo in 1815. Named from the patentee Barent Pieterson Coeymans — Map (db m135122) HM
New York (Albany County), Coeymans Hollow — 1780 Shear Farm
On New York State Route 143, on the left when traveling west.
Built by Israel Shear. Restored 1980 by Paul & Nancy Caswell. Placed on State Register of Historic Places October 9, 1996. National Register Dec. 6, 1996 — Map (db m131672) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — A Park Named Craner * Cohoes Recalls a Hero — Cohoes Remembers Vets Craner Park Cohoes, NY Saturday, May 20, 2006
On North Mohawk Street near Devlin Street, on the right when traveling south.
Robert Craner was born in 1933 to Grace and Alfred Craner and grew up at 27 Church Street in the "Orchard" section of Cohoes. He graduated from the local Catholic Central High School in 1950 and enlisted in the Air Force at the age of 19. Craner . . . — Map (db m40821) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — An Urban Refuge
On Delaware Avenue, on the left when traveling north.

Peebles Island State Park is located in the city of Cohoes (Albany County) and the village of Waterford (Saratoga County). Surrounded by the third and fourth branches of the Mohawk River, this 191-acre park includes Polrump, Goat, and Peebles . . . — Map (db m115377) HM

New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Breastworks
On Delaware Avenue, on the right when traveling north.

Erected under direction of Thaddeus Koscuiszko in August-September 1777 to check Burgoyne's invasion — Map (db m115356) HM

New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Camp Van Schaick
On Park Avenue at Myrtle Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Park Avenue.
Continental Army, Northern Department under command General Philip Schuyler General Horatio Gates Aug. 15 - Sept. 8, 1777 — Map (db m7665) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Camp Van Schaick
On Van Schaick Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Encampment of the Northern Department Continental Army August 9-September 8-1777 from this place August 9-1777 Gen. Ebenezer Learned with his Massachusetts Brigade marched to relieve Fort Stanwix — Map (db m7666) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Cluett, Peabody & Company — What Happened at the Bleachery?
On Delaware Avenue, on the left when traveling north.

Cluett, Peabody & Co., a Troy-based manufacturer of men's collars and shirts, purchased Peebles Island in 1909. The abundant water, existing rail lines, and proximity to the company's Troy factory made the island an ideal location for treating . . . — Map (db m115364) HM

New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Cohoes City Hall
On Mohawk Street at Ontario Street (Route 470), on the right when traveling north on Mohawk Street.
Designed by Architect J.C. Holland and constructed in 1895, this Romanesque Revival building is the center of Cohoes Government. The limestone structure was the first building in the city constructed with public funds. — Map (db m40988) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Cohoes Mastodon
On North Mohawk Street near Front Street, on the right when traveling north.
Site of Cohoes Mastodon Found September 1866 Now in N. Y. State Museum — Map (db m40818) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Cohoes Tribute
On Columbia Street (New York State Route 470) at Amity Street, on the left when traveling west on Columbia Street.
This monument is dedicated to the Men of Cohoes who on land or on sea risked their lives that this Nation might endure — Map (db m131753) WM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Continental Avenue
On Continental Avenue at Ontario Street, on the right when traveling south on Continental Avenue.
Algonquin and Mohawk Indian trail. Colonial military route. — Map (db m131687) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Egberts & Bailey Mill
On Ontario Street (Route 470) at Moose Lane, on the right when traveling east on Ontario Street.
First building erected for the manufacture of knit goods by power in America, 1836. First power knitting machinery applied in Cohoes, 1832 — Map (db m11392) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — First Power Mill for the Manufacture of Knit Fabrics
On Ontario Street (Route 470) at Moose Lane, on the right when traveling east on Ontario Street.
First Power Mill - for the - Manufacture of Knit Fabrics ———————— Erected in 1843, By Egberts & Bailey Inventors of the Power Knitting Machine in 1832. ·      ·      . . . — Map (db m11350) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Fonda Cemetery
On Loudon Road (U.S. 9), on the left when traveling north.
Early Settlers at Boght and Crescent. Intermarried with Lansing's. Organized the Boght Reformed Church in 1784. Fonda Rd. is named for the family. — Map (db m129626) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — George Stacy Davis — Cohoesier in Baseball's Hall of Fame
George Stacey Davis was a shortstop and manager in Major League Baseball at the turn of the 20th century. He also spent several seasons as a third baseman and center fielder, and lesser amounts of time at other positions. Over his playing career, . . . — Map (db m120681) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Horace B. Silliman — His Life and Legacy
Near Mohawk Street near Ontario Street, on the right when traveling south.
Horace Brinsmade Silliman was born in 1825. He was educated in Albany Academy, graduated from Union College in 1846 ( a member of Phi Beta Kappa) and later received honorary degrees from Union and Hamilton Colleges. Silliman first became a . . . — Map (db m41361) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Juncta
On Saratoga Street (New York State Route 32), on the right when traveling north.
Junction of the Original Erie and Champlain Canals First Settlement and Name of Cohoes. Site of the First Post Office. — Map (db m6161) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Knickerbacker Toll Bridge
On Ontario Street (New York State Route 470) at Delaware Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Ontario Street.

This Toll Bridge Opened to the Public.

May 18th 1880.

Originated and Owned by Thomas A. Knickerbacker.

Was Destroyed By Fire March 7, 1920. — Map (db m115502) HM

New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Misty 17
On North Mohawk Street near Devlin Street, on the right when traveling south.
"Misty" was the call sign used by the F-110F Fast Forward Air Controllers (Fast Fac's) during the Vietnam War. There were 155 pilots officially assigned to fly missions over North Vietnam from June 15, 1967 to May 19, 1970. 21 other attached pilots . . . — Map (db m40826) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Native American & 17th-century History of Peebles Island
On Delaware Avenue, on the left when traveling north.

There is abundant evidence of Indian occupation on Peebles and Van Schaick Islands. Hammerstones and projectile points have been discovered and suggest that early tribes lived in this area. Archeologists uncovered a number of early hearths here . . . — Map (db m115382) HM

New York (Albany County), Cohoes — New Yorker Power Authority
On Cohoes-Crescent Road, on the right when traveling north.
The present day hydroelectric power plant located at this site is owned and operated by the New York Power Authority. It was constructed in 1908 when the Mohawk River was dammed, the Waterford Flight of Locks was constructed, and the Erie Canal . . . — Map (db m138991) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Old Military Crossing — Loudon’s Ford
On Cohoes-Crescent Road, on the right when traveling north.
British and Continental Army ford. Protected August September 1777 by Generals Enoch Poor and Benedict Arnold. — Map (db m138976) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Old Military Crossing
On Cohoes-Crescent Road, on the right when traveling north.
Prior to the construction of the New York State Barge Canal and dam at Crescent, the Mohawk River was shallow and fordable most of the year. For centuries, Native Americans had crossed at this place. In 1755, during the French and Indian War, a . . . — Map (db m138984) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Peebles Island in the 18th-20th Centuries
On Delaware Avenue, on the left when traveling north.

During the Revolutionary War, American troops camped on Van Schaick and Peebles Islands. Thaddaeus Kosciuszko, a prominent Polish engineer who aided the American cause, designed the earthworks that are visible today near the bridge to . . . — Map (db m115385) HM

New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Sightseeing / Cataract House, Cohoes Falls, N.Y.
Near North Mohawk Street, on the right when traveling north.
Sightseeing Dutch visitors left the first written accounts of the Great Falls of the Mohawk River at Cohoes during the 1640s. Generations of sightseers, poets, and artists followed to look at the falls, hear their roar, and feel the spray. . . . — Map (db m11612) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — The Cohoes Mastodont
On Vliet Street at North Mohawk Street, on the right when traveling east on Vliet Street.
The Cohoes Mastodont was discovered during the excavation for Harmony Mill #3 in 1866. The mill is sometimes referred to as the "Mastodon Mill" for this reason. When all the bones were recovered, they were kept at the Harmony Mills Office on . . . — Map (db m41622) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — The Erie Canal — Power Canal Park | Cohoes NY
Near North Mohawk Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Erie Canal flowed through Cohoes along two distinct paths during the 19th century. The first phase, 1825-1841, is commonly referred to as "Clinton's Ditch" after New York Governor DeWitt Clinton, who was the foremost advocate for construction of . . . — Map (db m42224) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — The Matton Shipyard
On Delaware Ave., on the right when traveling north.
The Matton Shipyard John E. Matton built his shipyard here on Van Schaick Island in 1916, shortly after the new Barge Canal opened. Besides building barges and tugboats, the shipyard serviced and repaired the boats that travelled both the Erie . . . — Map (db m48282) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick Burial Plot
Near Delaware Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
First Settlers of Cohoes And Owners of Half Moon Patent Buried Here — Map (db m7249) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick Island
On Ontario Street (New York State Route 470) at Delaware Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Ontario Street.
Military encampment   1777 Here, in the days leading up to the Battles of Saratoga, 5,000 – 8,000 Continental soldiers were garrisoned. — Map (db m37454) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick Mansion
On Van Schaick Avenue at Delaware Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Van Schaick Avenue.
1735 - 1927 Van Schaick Mansion Home Of John G. Van Schaick and his Wife Anna Patriot Americans Built by Anthony Van Schaick Son of Goosen Gerritsen original patentee Headquarters August 18-September 8-1777 Northern . . . — Map (db m7250) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick Mansion
On Van Schaick Avenue at Railroad Drive, on the right when traveling west on Van Schaick Avenue.
In 1777, this mansion was the headquarters for the Northern Department of the Continental Army, and the site where the victorious Saratoga Campaign was planned. Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m37455) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick Mansion — Revolutionary War Heritage Trail
On Van Schaick Avenue at Railroad Drive, on the right when traveling west on Van Schaick Avenue.
The plans for the Battle of Saratoga were drawn up in this house in the summer of 1777, when the American Army was headquartered here. That April General Philip Schuyler and 5,000 troops retreated from Fort Edward in advance of Burgoyne’s superior . . . — Map (db m37457) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — View of Van Schaick Island
On Delaware Avenue, on the left when traveling north.

You are looking at the northern tip of Van Schaick Island. The Hudson River flows to the east, and the third and fourth branches of the Mohawk River flow around the rest of this rocky island.

Dutch merchants Philip Pietersen Schuyler and . . . — Map (db m115371) HM

New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Water Ford
On Delaware Avenue, on the right when traveling north.

A colonial ford across the Mohawk River from which Waterford derives its name. Site of the colonial Fort Half-Moon — Map (db m115362) HM

New York (Albany County), Colonie — Boght Church
On Boght Road (New York State Route 9R), on the right when traveling west.
Site of the Reformed Dutch Church of the Boght 1st Church North of Albany Organized by the Classis Of Albany, Feb. 22, 1784 — Map (db m24730) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Dalessondro Boulevard
On Dalessondro Boulevard (New York State Route 155), on the right when traveling north.
In December of 1944, near Kalterherberg, Germany Technical Sergeant Peter J. Dalessondro of the 9th Infantry Division, at great personal risk, intrepidly fought against overwhelming enemy attack to save his company from defeat. His singlehanded . . . — Map (db m21881) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — NY-19 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
On New Loudon Road (New York State Route 9) at Arrowhead Lane, on the right when traveling south on New Loudon Road.
Through this Place Passed Gen. Henry Knox In the Winter of 1775 - 1776 To Deliver To Gen. George Washington At Cambridge The Train of Artillery From Fort Ticonderoga Used to Force the British Army to Evacuate Boston . . . — Map (db m23749) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Loudoun Ferry Road
On Crescent Road (County Route 159) at New Loudon Road (New York State Route 9), on the right when traveling east on Crescent Road.
1755 Constructed as Military Road from Albany to Lake George by Provincial Troops from New York, New England and New Jersey under command of Major General William Johnson ——— Named in honor of Major General . . . — Map (db m24514) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Maplewood Historic Park
On 2nd Avenue (New York State Route 32) north of 26th Street, on the right when traveling north.
Site of Erie Canal lock & former Weighlock Bldg.1850-1915 located near "The Juncta" of old Erie and Champlain Canals — Map (db m40996) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Shaker Cemetery
On Heritage Lane 0.1 miles east of Airline Drive, on the right when traveling west.
First burials occurred on this historic site in 1787- Mother Ann Lee and early leaders reburied here later — Map (db m41150) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Shaker Church Family Barn
On Heritage Lane (County Route 151) at Meeting House Road, on the right when traveling north on Heritage Lane.
Built in 1916 on the site of the original barn which had been destroyed by fire — Map (db m40593) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — The Boght
On Boght Road (New York State Route 9R), on the right when traveling west.
The Boght Settled On and After 1704 By The Vischer Weaver Witbeck Lansing Powell Runkle Dunsbach Lieverse Staats Roff Godfrey Van O Linde Groesbeck Van Vranken Fero Van De Mark Van Denburgh Johnson Pollock Storms Fonda and . . . — Map (db m24731) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — The Erie Canal
On Broadway (New York State Route 32) near Federal Express Plaza, on the right when traveling north.
For nearly a century, canal boats were pulled by mules and horse over this portion of New York State's famed Erie Canal. One of the slowest and most crowded parts of the waterway started to the north of the Flatts at Maplewood. Here Began the . . . — Map (db m14742) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — The Weighlock Building — 1850-1915
On 2nd Avenue (New York State Route 32) north of 26th Street, on the right when traveling north.
This Greek-revival building was one of several weigh stations along the Canal used to levy the tolls for barges carrying merchandise and farm goods. Until 1850 freight cargoes were measured by the displacement theory, but this hydraulic type . . . — Map (db m40999) HM
New York (Albany County), Delmar — Delmar
On Delaware Ave. (New York State Route 443) at Adams Street, on the right when traveling west on Delaware Ave..
Earlier Adamsville And Adams Station Nathaniel Adams Located Here In 1836 and Built A Hotel in 1838 — Map (db m97281) HM
New York (Albany County), Delmar — Union Dutch Reformed Church
On Delaware Turnpike (New York State Route 443), on the right when traveling west.
Founded and Erected 1825. "For The Glory of God" Quoted from 1824 Land Deed. Horse Sheds Built 1840 Fellowship Hall Added 1906 — Map (db m97276) HM
New York (Albany County), Dormansville — Andrew Hannay
On New York State Route 143 at County Route 312, on the right when traveling west on State Route 143.
Near here Andrew Hannay raised a company of volunteers October 1777 to oppose invasion of Burgoyne who surrendered before their arrival — Map (db m135130) HM
New York (Albany County), Dormansville — Dormansville
On County Route 312 at New York State Route 143, in the median on County Route 312.
Named in honor of Daniel Dorman, an inn and store keeper, and first postmaster in 1832 — Map (db m135109) HM
New York (Albany County), Dormansville — Dormansville War Memorial
On New York State Route 143 at County Route 312, on the right when traveling west on State Route 143.
Dedicated to the men and women of Dormansville NY who served in the wars of our country — Map (db m135134) WM
New York (Albany County), Dormansville — Reformed Church
On County Route 312, on the left when traveling north.
Original site of the Dutch Reformed Church organized 1793. Present location Village of Westerlo. — Map (db m136003) HM
New York (Albany County), East Berne — Anti-Rent Riots
On Warners Lake Road (New York State Route 157A), on the right when traveling south.
More Leased Land in Berne than any other Town in Albany County Led to Serious Outbreaks After 1840 — Map (db m50489) HM
New York (Albany County), East Berne — Lutheran Church
On New York State Route 443, on the left when traveling west.
Organized 1790. First pastor Rev. August Friederich Meier. Frame building used until brick church constructed 1835 — Map (db m132604) HM
New York (Albany County), East Berne — Mill Site
On Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Mill built here about 1765 by John and Christopher Warner — Map (db m132602) HM
New York (Albany County), Feura Bush — Jerusalem Reformed Church
On New York State Route 32, on the left when traveling south.
Established 1791. First located on Route 308. Rev. Harmanus Van Huysen was pastor 1793-1825. Current edifice built 1826. — Map (db m130527) HM
New York (Albany County), Feura Bush — Memorial
On Indian Fields Road (New York State Route 32), on the left when traveling south.
This memorial is dedicated in honor to all those who served our great country. — Map (db m130529) WM
New York (Albany County), Feura Bush — Slingerland House 1762
On Indian Fields Road (New York State Route 32), on the left when traveling south.
Built by Tunis Cornelise Slingerland, Dutch emigrant 1650, on land purchased from Indians — Map (db m130530) HM
New York (Albany County), Glenmont — This is the Capital District — Historic New York
On Interstate 87, on the right when traveling south.
          The Capital District has long been important as a trading post, military objective and governmental center. Located near the juncture of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers, Albany has been the “crossroads” of the northeast since . . . — Map (db m56854) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Battle of Normanskill
On New York State Route 146 0.1 miles east of Ostrander Road, on the right when traveling west.
Fought north of the creek Schenectady Militia with 40 Rhode Island troops dispersed large group of Tories on August 11, 1777 — Map (db m49379) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Captain Jacob Van Aernam
On Brandle Road 0.6 miles north of Altamont-Voorheesville Road (New York State Route 156), on the right when traveling north.
Captain Jacob Van Aernam 1732 - 1813 Revolutionary hero buried here Courageous always he fought for his beloved Country's independence — Map (db m44031) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Dr F. Crounse
On New York State Route 146 at Danvers Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 146.
Built this house, 1833 First physician at West Guilderland (Altamont) Practiced here sixty years — Map (db m49844) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Farm of Evert Bancker
On New York State Route 146 just west of Christopher Lane, on the right when traveling west.
Third Mayor of Albany, 1695 Indian Commissioner, 1696 Master Chancery, 1705 Died Here, 1734 — Map (db m50126) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — First Lutheran Church
On Route 146 at Hawes Road, on the right when traveling east on Route 146.
On this spot stood the First Lutheran Church in Town of Guilderland 1787. Rev. Heinrich Moeller first regular pastor — Map (db m48961) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — First Meeting
On New York State Route 146 at Hurst Road, on the right when traveling east on State Route 146.
of Town of Guilderland held April 5, 1803 in this house at that time a tavern conducted by Hendrick Apple — Map (db m49845) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — First Reformed Dutch Church
On New York State Route 146 at 158, on the right when traveling west on State Route 146.
100 ft. west, site of the First Reformed Dutch Church in Guilderland. Built before 1767. First pastor Rev. Harmanus Van Huysen — Map (db m136065) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Frederick Crounse
On Altamont-Voorheesville Road (New York State Route 156) near Brandle Road, on the right when traveling south.
Farm of Frederick Crounse Officer 3D Albany Co. Militia in Revolution. Carried food to Army Battle of Saratoga. Buried Here — Map (db m48377) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — French's Hollow
On Western Ave (U.S. 20) at French's Mill Road, on the right when traveling east on Western Ave.
Site of a Sawmill; Clothe Wks of Peter K. Broeck 1795; Factory of Abel French and Tavern of Jacob Aker 1800 — Map (db m65413) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — George Wagner
On Dunnsville Road (New York State Route 397) 0.1 miles north of Settles Hill Road, on the right when traveling north.
Home of George Wagner Lieutenant in the American Revolution — Map (db m63346) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Glass Works
On Foundry Road, on the right when traveling north.
Begun 1785 by Leonard De Neuville. Known as Albany Glass House, later Hamilton Glass Wks. Made bottles & window glass. Closed 1815 — Map (db m50620) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Guilderland Town Hall
On Western Turnpike (U.S. 20), on the right when traveling west.
Town Hall Town of Guilderland Est. April 4, 1803 First Officers; Supervisor Nicholas V. Mynderse, Clerk Peter G. Veeder Town of Guilderland 1985Map (db m103165) HM

8733 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 8533
Paid Advertisement