Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Albany County New York Historical Markers

290 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 290 are listed. Previous 200
 
French's Hollow Marker image, Touch for more information
By Howard C. Ohlhous, May 17, 2013
French's Hollow Marker
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — French's Hollow
Site of a Sawmill; Clothe Wks of Peter K. Broeck 1795; Factory of Abel French and Tavern of Jacob Aker 1800 — Map (db m65413) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — George Wagner
Home of George Wagner Lieutenant in the American Revolution — Map (db m63346) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Glass Works
Begun 1785 by Leonard De Neuville. Known as Albany Glass House, later Hamilton Glass Wks. Made bottles & window glass. Closed 1815 — Map (db m50620) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Guilderland Town Hall
Town Hall Town of Guilderland Est. April 4, 1803 First Officers; Supervisor Nicholas V. Mynderse, Clerk Peter G. Veeder Town of Guilderland 1985Map (db m103165) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Hamilton Glass House
. . . — Map (db m45518) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Henry Rowe Schoolcraft
Home Of Henry Rowe Schoolcraft B.1793 - D. 1864 Glass Maker, Explorer, Author, Poet, Authority On American Indians. — Map (db m77593) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Inn of Jacob Crounse
Built 1833. Midway tavern where horses were changed on Schoharie-Albany Stage Coach Route — Map (db m49512) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Jacob Van Aernam
Jacob Van Aernam 1723 - 1813 Capt. 3rd Albany Regiment Leader of Patriot forces in the Helderberg region during American Revolution Lived on farm here — Map (db m44020) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Knower House
Est. as hat factory about 1800 by Benjamin Knower Gov. William L. Marcy Married Cornelia Knower in this house — Map (db m49446) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Locust Vale School
Locust Vale School New Scotland School District No. 11. Built about 1827 and closed 1939. Moved to Meadowdale from Tygert Road During the 1940's. — Map (db m48608) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Palatine Road
c. 1712 First Road West By German Refugees To Schoharie Valley — Map (db m49555) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Schoolcraft House
Built Circa 1840 By John L. Schoolcraft U.S. Congressman 1848-1852 Albany Banker and Whig Leader Delegate to the 1860 National Convention — Map (db m65410) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Site of Hamilton Union Church
Site of Hamilton Union Church Octagonal building used also as a school house built by Hamilton Mfg. Society about 1797 — Map (db m116759) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Wildehausen
Site of an Indian Village Nearby Stream Called Wildehausekill or "Indian House Creek" — Map (db m66751) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland Center — Freeman House
Said to have been erected 1734 later the home of Barent Mynderse, Lieut. in War of Revolution — Map (db m49721) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland Center — House Built 1802
By Nicholas V. Mynderse sold to Michael Frederick who ran it as a tavern for many years — Map (db m49720) HM
New York (Albany County), Guildland — The Vale of Tawasentha
Iroquois name for a burial ground near mouth of the Normanskill Creek. — Map (db m131412) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Dutch Barn
Built Circa 1800 For Palatine German Settler Jacob Sholtes 1761-1852 By Grandson Jacob 1817-1891 — Map (db m62841) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Knieskem Farm
Settled by Hendrick Knieskem about 1750 — Map (db m54208) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Knox School #5
Knox School District #5 was formed in 1822. This school was built in 1898, restored by Kiwanis, & placed on the National Register in 2005. — Map (db m52395) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Knoxville Academy
Incorporated 1837 Chartered Regents 1842-1869 Faced Military Training Ground 1776 — Map (db m58862) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — 227 — Palatine Trail
Road Used for Travel West to Schoharie Valley As Early as 1767, The Town of Knox Began To Grow Around This Path. — Map (db m88107) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Pillbox Factory
In 1806 Nathan Crary Established the Pillbox Industry in Knox. His Factory was Behind This Farmhouse, Where He Lived. Knox Historical SocietyMap (db m73576) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Sand Farm
Sand Farm Settled by Christian Zandt in 1787 — Map (db m57937) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — 226 — Toll Gate #3
Old Albany and Schoharie Plank Road Passed Here Between 1849 and 1866. Wagons on Wood Planks Said To Make a Thunderous Noise — Map (db m91049) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Town of Knox
Established Feb. 22, 1822 Formed from Town of Berne Pillbox capital 1806-1906 First Town Supervisor was Malachi Whipple — Map (db m49450) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Whipple Farm
Settled by Malachi Whipple of Conn. about 1793. In 1820 farm won premium as model farm in Albany County — Map (db m49447) HM
New York (Albany County), Latham — NY-20 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the Winter of 1775 - 1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston . . . — Map (db m23447) HM
New York (Albany County), Latham — Latham
. . . — Map (db m75495) HM
New York (Albany County), Medusa — Medusa War Memorial
Lest We Forget In recognition of All who served and died For our Country — Map (db m136059) WM
New York (Albany County), Medusa — The Medusa FireMay 25, 1932
The fire destroyed 7 houses, the Methodist Church, and Goff's Store. — Map (db m136058) HM
New York (Albany County), Menands — Historic Albany Rural CemeteryEst. 1841
Burial site of Pres. Arthur, governors, statesmen and private citizens. Noted for it’s natural beauty, sculptures & architecture. — Map (db m37463) HM
New York (Albany County), Menands — Saint Agnes CemeteryMedal of Honor Recipient Burial Place
Saint Agnes Cemetery has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 2008 — Map (db m62357) HM
New York (Albany County), New Salem — Rev. Harmanus Van Huysen Home
Original part built c. 1816. revolutionary War Captain. Served 3 area churches from 1794-1825. His descendants lived in home until 1922. — Map (db m136073) HM
New York (Albany County), New Scotland — Bender Melons
Home of Bender Melons Famed "Benders" developed by Charles Bender in 1900 on this New Scotland Farm sold throughout U.S. — Map (db m48606) HM
New York (Albany County), New Scotland — David Allen House
Land leased From Patroon c.1779. Original House Is Stone. Wood Sections Added Later. Occupied by The Allen Family over 100 Years. — Map (db m97288) HM
New York (Albany County), New Scotland — 280 — Lime Kiln Farm
Named for Stone Kilns used to make lime. First farmed 1842. Miller Family farmed here over 100 years beginning in 1905. — Map (db m97287) HM
New York (Albany County), Preston-Potter Hollow — Dr. Samuel Preston
Settled here in 1789 and gave his name to Preston Hollow. He built the first sawmill and gristmill — Map (db m131419) HM
New York (Albany County), Preston-Potter Hollow — Whipping Post
For town located on farm of Lawrence Faulk who settled here, in 1790 and died in 1838. — Map (db m131416) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Baptist Church
Organized Aug. 19, 1796. First ministers: Truman Beeman Ephraim Crocker Reuben Winegar Jr. Present church built in 1836 — Map (db m136128) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Episcopal Church
Organized February 20, 1811 by Rev. Samuel Fuller, who built church in 1815 and served as Rector for thirty-one years — Map (db m136121) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Federal Library
This first library was organized March 13, 1798, with 186 subscribers and 200 books. Dissolved 1832. — Map (db m136123) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Hamlet of Rensselaerville
Settled in 1787. Historic District on the National and New York State Registers of Historic Places — Map (db m136109) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Hans Winegar
From Stockbridge, Mass. second settler in the village built a log home on the site of the village in 1788 — Map (db m136114) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Presbyterian Church
Organized 1792. This third church built by Ephraim B. Russ and dedicated 1843. George Goodyear, Pastor. — Map (db m136124) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Samuel JenkinsThe Father of Rensselaerville
Known as Jenkin's Mills 1795-1896. First visited site in 1787, located 1788, built house and grist mill 1789. Died 1837 — Map (db m136126) HM
New York (Albany County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
Military road during the French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars — Map (db m127558) HM
New York (Albany County), Schenectady — The King’s HighwayRoute of
Became wagon road about 1663 — Map (db m127559) HM
New York (Albany County), Selkirk — Hamlet of Selkirk
Named for James Selkirk 1757-1820. 2nd Regiment-Line, American Revolution. Native of Scotland settled here in 1786 — Map (db m129515) HM
New York (Albany County), Selkirk — Wiltsie Farm
Wm. Wiltsie of Nobletown, Columbia County and member of the Dutchess County Militia settled on this property in 1795. — Map (db m129514) HM
New York (Albany County), Slingerlands — Andrew Conning
Nearby is Burial Site of Andrew Conning, 3rd Regt. Albany County Militia Under Capt. Vanderheyden The American Revolution Placed by Tawasetha Chapter NSDARMap (db m44963) HM
New York (Albany County), Slingerlands — Slingerland Family Burial Vault Erected 1852
John I. 1804-1861 Congressman, abolitionist Champion of the Homestead Act — Map (db m136813) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — First P.O. 1868
Site of First P.O. 1868 Established in Reid's General Store, Farm of James Reid Town's First Supervisor — Map (db m48607) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Helderbergs
The name means clear mountains. They have been called "the key to the geology of North America" — Map (db m54688) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Indian Ladder
In Colonial Times An Indian Trail Ascended The Helderberg Cliffs At This Point From The Lowlands To The East State Ed Dept 1932 Friends of Thacher Park 2014Map (db m77125) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Methodism
Methodism Here built its first church in this entire area. Known as Bethlehem, North or Black Creek Church, 1823 — Map (db m48671) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Schoolhouse No. 10
Est. as early as 1826. Replaced 1867. Additions 1892, 1911. Fondly known as “Brookview Academy". Current bldg. erected 1929. — Map (db m135120) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Thacher Point
At this site, on September 14, 1914, this park was formally dedicated in memory of John Boyd Thacher. His widow, Emma Treadwell Thacher, donated the 350 acres to the state of New York to be preserved as a public park. The Thachers, whose summer home . . . — Map (db m77243) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — The Indian Ladder Trail
The Indian Ladder Trail runs along the base of the cliff and was historically called the "Lower Bear Path." Here, you are halfway down the limestone cliff, where the Coeymans formation above meets the Manlius below. At the top of the Manlius is a . . . — Map (db m43845) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — The Tory Cave
Caves are formed when limestone is dissolved by flowing water. In the ceiling at the back of the cave you can see a large, natural chimney where water has seeped into the rock from above. As limestone dissolves, calcite is deposited to from . . . — Map (db m12728) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Tory Cave 1777
Jacob Salsbury, a spy during Burgoyne Invasion, found refuge from settlers in a cave against the cliffs nearby. — Map (db m58550) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — City of Watervliet
The land now occupied by the City of Watervliet is part of a tract purchased by the first Patroon, Kiliaen van Rensselaer in 1630 from the Mohican or River Indians. The tract was within a large area on the west side of the Hudson River named Wely's . . . — Map (db m58228) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Civil War Parrott Rifle
10 Pounder Rifle From Watervliet Arsenal Designed By Robert P. Parrott and Cast at The West Point Foundry. Used by the Union Forces These Guns were Mounted on Carriages Made at Watervliet Arsenal Where Ammunition was also Made. This . . . — Map (db m7299) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Erie Canal
Completed 1825 Terminus at Hudson River. Locks called Sidecut allowed entry to navigable waters — Map (db m12214) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — In Memory of Those Who Served
City of Watervliet, New York World War I Veterans (List of names) — Map (db m131683) WM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Mayor James F. Cavanaugh1910 - 1973
Served the City of Watervliet from 1967 to 1973. Throughout his years of service he accomplished a great deal for Watervliet, including renovations at City Hall and police headquarters, construction of a new firehouse, the opening of the northern . . . — Map (db m47983) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Meneely Foundry
Meneely Foundry 1826 - 1950 First Chime & Carillon in U.S. Cast Here Foremost Bell Maker Patented Rotary Yoke And Casting Procedures. — Map (db m40322) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Peter J. DalessandroCongressional Medal of Honor
Peter J. Dalessandro Congressional Medal of Honor Technical Sergeant, US Army, Company E. 39th Infantry, 9th Infantry Division Sergeant DAlessandro was born May 19, 1918. Entered service at: Watervliet, N.Y. Presented the Congressional . . . — Map (db m46446) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Saint Patrick's Church Bell
The most obvious music associated with any church is the sweet and dignified tolling of the church bell. Pictured above is George E. Hipwod, President of the Holy Names Society who presented the bell for placement in the new church. The bell was . . . — Map (db m70628) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — The Nalle Rescue
The Nalle Rescue April 27, 1860 Near this site on Broadway, Charles Nalle, a fugitive slave from Culpepper, Virginia, was rescued from slave catchers by Harriet Tubman and citizens of Troy and West Troy (Watervliet), completing an . . . — Map (db m42015) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — U.S. Army 3 Inch M5 Antitank Gun
The 3 inch antitank gun was deployed during WWII. Hundreds of these guns were used by American troops in Europe and the Pacific during the war. Range: 16,100 yards max. 1,000 yards antitank range. The U.S. 1st Army and 3rd Army in Europe had . . . — Map (db m49148) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Watervliet Arsenal
Oldest, Continuously Active Manufacturing Arsenal in U.S. Founded in 1813. — Map (db m49297) HM
New York (Albany County), West Berne — Albany County
Derived its name from the Scotch title of the Duke of York and Albany afterwards King James of England — Map (db m132596) HM
New York (Albany County), West Berne — Dwelling
Built about 1800 by William Shultes — Map (db m132599) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Academy
This house was the Chesterville Academy built about 1800. Gabriel Pinney, head master — Map (db m135154) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Albany County
One of the original counties of the Province of New York created by law November 1, 1683. Mother of many counties. — Map (db m130618) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Allen House
Built 1795, here and on this road lived Ebeneazer Allen and his sons Justice, Howard, and Stephen. All soldiers in Revolution — Map (db m136127) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Anti-Rent War
Events in the quarrel of tenants with Lord of the Van Rensselaer Manor occurred in this region in 1840 and later — Map (db m50490) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Baptist Church
Organized at Chesterville in 1800. Roswell Beckwith was first pastor. — Map (db m135162) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Beardsley House
Home of William Beardsley. Here was held first town meeting of Westerlo, April 4, 1815. — Map (db m135143) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Early Business
Built c. 1830. Family run store, post office, tin shop gas station c. 1850 -1943. Long tenured postmaster C.F. Anderson 1910 -1943. — Map (db m135157) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Early Doctor
Dr. Jonathan Prosser of Dutchess County settled on this farm in 1788 — Map (db m129504) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Grant & Eadie
Early storekeepers. Made potash at Chesterville, 1798. — Map (db m135151) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Hotel
Three-floor hotel here 1800’s. Owned by Henry Latham 1876-84. Destroyed by fire 1897. Rebuilt two-floor hotel Haverly House. Later apartments. Razed c. 1953. — Map (db m135156) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Indian Trail
Old Indian trail led through this valley to the Switzkill. Indian camp ground near here. — Map (db m135092) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Manor of Van Rensselaer
1630 Kiliaen Van Rensselaer granted patent for 1152 square miles including all of Albany and Rensselaer Counties — Map (db m136076) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Myers Farm
Philip Myers of Germany in 1763 built a log house at Chesterville, married a daughter of Nicholas Stoddard and died 1813 — Map (db m135149) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Quaker Church
Site of a Quaker church and school. Erected 1803. Cemetery in rear. — Map (db m136064) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Reformed Church
First church in town. Organized 1793. Original site five miles south of here — Map (db m135148) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Westerlo
Town formed March 16, 1815 from Coeymans and Rensselaerville. Named for Rev. Eilardus Westerlo of Albany. — Map (db m135147) HM

290 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 290 were listed. Previous 200
Paid Advertisement