Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
430 entries match your criteria. The first 100 are listed. Next 100 ⊳
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Dane County, Wisconsin

 
Clickable Map of Dane County, Wisconsin and Immediately Adjacent Jurisdictions image/svg+xml 2019-10-06 U.S. Census Bureau, Abe.suleiman; Lokal_Profil; HMdb.org; J.J.Prats/dc:title> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Usa_counties_large.svg Dane County, WI (430) Columbia County, WI (72) Dodge County, WI (21) Green County, WI (11) Iowa County, WI (19) Jefferson County, WI (31) Rock County, WI (33) Sauk County, WI (47)  DaneCounty(430) Dane County (430)  ColumbiaCounty(72) Columbia County (72)  DodgeCounty(21) Dodge County (21)  GreenCounty(11) Green County (11)  IowaCounty(19) Iowa County (19)  JeffersonCounty(31) Jefferson County (31)  RockCounty(33) Rock County (33)  SaukCounty(47) Sauk County (47)
Adjacent to Dane County, Wisconsin
    Columbia County (72)
    Dodge County (21)
    Green County (11)
    Iowa County (19)
    Jefferson County (31)
    Rock County (33)
    Sauk County (47)
 
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1Wisconsin (Dane County), Belleville — Early Belleville / Library Park
(side 1) Early Belleville Finding a mill site on the Sugar River, founder John Frederick settled here in 1845. His mill prompted "Yankee" settlement and a village developed with a hotel/tavern, blacksmith, harness maker and general . . . — Map (db m59539) HM
2Wisconsin (Dane County), Belleville — 329 — Primrose Lutheran Church
In the mid-nineteenth century, many newly arrived Norwegian immigrants in southern Wisconsin depended upon the spiritual and practical guidance of itinerant Lutheran ministers to help successfully adapt to the new land. One of the most influential . . . — Map (db m55047) HM
3Wisconsin (Dane County), Belleville — 9 — St. Raphael's Frenchtown Cemetery
Final resting place of early French emigrants and their descendants. Coming directly to the Montrose-Belleville community from St. Germain in eastern France, 32 families arrived beginning in the early 1850's. Unique and isolated, the group . . . — Map (db m37296) HM
4Wisconsin (Dane County), Black Earth — 30 — Patrons' Mercantile Co-op — Oldest Cooperative in the Nation
Town of Vermont farmers, beset by a depressed economy in the early 1890's, organized a company to obtain quality products at fair prices. Amos Thorsrud was the first general manager. He and Nels Simley toured local farms to sell $10 shares in a . . . — Map (db m41930) HM
5Wisconsin (Dane County), Black Earth — Vermont Creek
This once clear tributary to the Wisconsin River now carries tons of soil from croplands on ridges and slopes. Silver maples, willows and box elders grow on the soil deposited by erosion. The low peaty meadows on both sides of the creek serve as a . . . — Map (db m36987) HM
6Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — 29 — Blue Mounds Fort
The onset of the Black Hawk War in northwestern Illinois in April, 1832 triggered panic in southwestern Wisconsin's lead mining region, prompting erection of over a dozen stockades. On an open prairie knoll 3/4 mile south of this marker, area miners . . . — Map (db m35412) HM
7Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — 18 — Brigham Park
Ebenezer Brigham (1789-1861), first permanent white settler of Dane County, came here as a prospector in 1828. The inn he built for his miners became popular with travelers on the old Military Road, and Blue Mounds became a well-known landmark. . . . — Map (db m36125) HM
8Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — Brigham Park
You are looking north from the Military Ridge toward Mazomanie, which lies in the Wisconsin River Valley. Beyond the Wisconsin River bluffs, on a clear day, the higher Baraboo Hills can be seen 35 miles away. These hills, with some of the oldest . . . — Map (db m36986) HM
9Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — Elvers Corner — Vermont Township
This corner has a colorful background as the site of a saw mill, grist mill, post office, grocery store, hotel, blacksmith shop, dance hall and until 1958 the Town Hall. In 1847 Samuel Lattimer built a saw mill that operated until 1865 when it was . . . — Map (db m55592) HM
10Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — 38 — German Valley — Evangelical Lutheran Parochial Schule
German immigrant families from Hesse began settling in this area of Blue Mounds Township in the 1840s. As early as 1856, Lutheran missionaries conducted home services for the rural community. In 1867, on acreage purchased from Justus Heuser, a frame . . . — Map (db m75828) HM
11Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — Site of Blue Mounds Fort
Built in May 1832 by the miners and settlers of the neighborhood and garrisoned by them as volunteer members of General Henry Dodge's Iowa-Michigan Brigade from May 20 to September 20, 1832 during the Black Hawk War This site was donated . . . — Map (db m36980) HM
12Wisconsin (Dane County), Cambridge — 11 — Koshkonong
Koshkonong Prairie with its twin churches at both East and West Koshkonong is one of the focal points from which Norwegian Lutheranism spread to many parts of the American continent. In 1844 at the request of pioneer Norwegian immigrants . . . — Map (db m36145) HM
13Wisconsin (Dane County), Cottage Grove — 17 — The Wisconsin Granger Movement
The Cottage Grove Grange, which became a leader in the state and national Grange movement, had its meeting hall near this site shortly after the Civil War. As a community center it became a significant cultural and social influence for pioneer farm . . . — Map (db m37290) HM
14Wisconsin (Dane County), Cross Plains — Festge Park
You are looking across a deep preglacial valley. Once glacial meltwaters drained west to the Wisconsin River, depositing sand and gravel brought south to Middleton by the giant ice sheets. Today, winding through this unglaciated outwash plain is . . . — Map (db m36988) HM
15Wisconsin (Dane County), Cross Plains — 15 — Haney's Tavern
In 1838 at the foot of this bluff Berry Haney, a migrant from Cross Plains, Tennessee, established the Cross Plains Post Office in a log house. Early Cross Plains was the site of important military road crossings and Haney became the pioneer . . . — Map (db m32617) HM
16Wisconsin (Dane County), Cross Plains — Kerl School — (Dist. No. 6)
Land for the Kerl School was donated by Otto Kerl, farmer and homeopathic practitioner. The school was built of native limestone by John Miller for $325 and opened in 1874. Early teachers earned $25 to $30 per month. From 1887 to 1907, there were . . . — Map (db m41963) HM
17Wisconsin (Dane County), Cross Plains — The Matz Farmstead — 1852 - 2012
The Matz Farmhouse, approx. 1907 [photo] You are standing in front of the stone remnants of the Matz farmhouse. The land was first homesteaded in 1852. Friedrich describes the initial living quarters as, “An American farmer isn’t set . . . — Map (db m108764) HM
18Wisconsin (Dane County), Cross Plains — The Plain Good Building of Cross Plains
Construction on this site began in 1854. Time had reduced this building nearly to ruin during 143 years of service to this community. With great skill and uncompromising attention to detail, it was completely restored during the winter of 1997-1998 . . . — Map (db m41395) HM
19Wisconsin (Dane County), Daleyville — 2 — Hauge Log Church - 1852
Early Norse pioneers who realized a need for a house of worship built the first Norwegian Lutheran Church in western Dane County from logs in the winter of 1851-52. First services held May 27, 1852 by the Rev. A.C. Preus. Previous itinerant pastors . . . — Map (db m36718) HM
20Wisconsin (Dane County), Dane — 42 — Nathan Dane
Dane County was created by the Wisconsin Territorial Legislature in 1836. Judge James Doty had convinced the Legislature to select Madison as the Capital and name the surrounding county in honor of Nathan Dane, a compiler of the Ordinance of 1787, . . . — Map (db m37643) HM
21Wisconsin (Dane County), Dane — 26 — Old Military Road - 100 Mile Point
In July, 1833, Lt. Alexander Center blazed a nearby oak, marking the 100-mile point of a military road he and James Doty were surveying. The Old Military Road, built from 1835 to 1837, connected Ft. Crawford at Prairie du Chien, Ft. Winnebago at . . . — Map (db m36907) HM
22Wisconsin (Dane County), Deerfield — Goose Lake
To your left is a "drumlin," a long streamlined hill formed by the last glacier about 15,000 years ago. A vast field of 40 drumlins, all pointing southwest, can be seen from high points in this area. Centuries ago, marshes, bogs and lakes formed in . . . — Map (db m42378) HM
23Wisconsin (Dane County), DeForest — 32 — Andreas Dahl — 1844-1923
Andreas Dahl came to DeForest from Valdres, Norway in 1869. For more than a decade as an itinerant photographer in southern Wisconsin, he took pictures that captured the essence of life at that time. His studio stood to the north of this site and . . . — Map (db m37005) HM
24Wisconsin (Dane County), DeForest — De Forest Centennial — 1863 - 1963
The Village of De Forest and the surrounding 2200 acres were once owned by Isaac N. De Forest. He purchased the site for $25.00 an acre in 1854 to farm and raise wheat. In 1856, before moving to Wetmore, Kansas, he started platting the site for a . . . — Map (db m37568) HM
25Wisconsin (Dane County), DeForest — Our Bell
Windsor Township High School was built on this site in 1895 on land donated by Ole S. Holum. This bell, a gift of the community's grateful young people, was installed in June 1896. When Union High School replaced the original building, the bell was . . . — Map (db m37567) HM
26Wisconsin (Dane County), DeForest — Site of the First Well in DeForest
In the 1850's, the U.S. government commissioned a well to be dug on this site to insure the settlers of a pure source of water. The well was seventy feet deep and cased in hand-laid stone. It served the community for many years after the Karows . . . — Map (db m38091) HM
27Wisconsin (Dane County), DeForest — The De Forest Depot — Built in 1871
The DeForest Depot was built in 1871, at the time of the construction of the railroad line which connected Madison to Portage. Land for a depot was donated to the railroad by Isaac DeForest. Recognizing the importance of rail service to the growth . . . — Map (db m37570) HM
28Wisconsin (Dane County), Fitchburg — Dogtown - Fish Hatchery School — District No. 9 — 1860-1919 —
Originally at the NW corner of Fish Hatchery and Lacy Roads, the Dogtown School was later relocated ½ mile north and called the Fish Hatchery School. The Gorman Family relocated and restored the one room schoolhouse on this site in 1989. — Map (db m26762) HM
29Wisconsin (Dane County), Fitchburg — Dogtown - Fish Hatchery School — District No. 9 — 1860-1962 —
Originally at the NW corner of Fish Hatchery and Lacy Roads, the Dogtown School was later relocated ½ mile north and called the Fish Hatchery School. In 1919 a new building was built at the original site. This building burned in 1937. A third . . . — Map (db m26765) HM
30Wisconsin (Dane County), Fitchburg — 46 — Illinois Central Depot / Fitchburg
Illinois Central Depot side On this site a two-story railroad depot stood from 1888 to 1939. The depot served the Illinois Central Railroad, which provided passenger and freight service to Fitchburg on its route from Freeport, Illinois to . . . — Map (db m120014) HM
31Wisconsin (Dane County), Fitchburg — 364 — The McCoy Farmhouse
Located on one of Dane County's earliest and most successful tobacco farms, the cream-brick-Italianate McCoy Farmhouse was built by Benjamin Brown in 1861. Tobacco growing began here in 1853 and boomed during the Civil War when Southern tobacco . . . — Map (db m33682) HM
32Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 82 — "Elmside" — The Simeon and Maria Mills House — 1863 —
This elegant Italian villa style house was constructed of native sandstone on the 191-acre country estate of Simeon and Maria Mills. An early pioneer from Ohio, Mills erected Madison's first store and was a banker, real estate developer and . . . — Map (db m41983) HM
33Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — "Let The Great Spirits Soar"
This memorial, carved by Harry R. Whitehorse from a storm-damaged hackberry tree, honors his Indian ancestors and is a tribute to the Effigy Mound Builders. Sculpture funded by City of Madison Committee for the Arts Dane County Cultural Affairs . . . — Map (db m33497) HM
34Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 84 — 9XM - WHA — "The Oldest Station in the Nation"
On this campus pioneer research and experimentation in "wireless" led to successful transmissions of voice and music in 1917, and the beginning of broadcasting on a scheduled basis in 1919. Experimental station 9XM transmitted telegraphic . . . — Map (db m33629) HM
35Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — A Grand Experiment — Bascom Hill Historic District
Fed up with the formalities of traditional education, Professor Alexander Meikeljohn decided in 1927 to try something new, converting a university residence hall into an "Experimental College." Students took no tests and received no grades, but . . . — Map (db m31986) HM
36Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — A Living Room for Campus — Bascom Hill Historic District
The Memorial Union is the university’s premier gathering place, serving as a welcoming living room for the entire campus community. Built in the Italian Renaissance Revival style (1928) with an International style theater wing addition (1939), the . . . — Map (db m111258) HM
37Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — A Stage for All — Bascom Hill Historic District
Not long after she was denied permission to perform in the D.A.R. Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C., because she was African-American, famous singer Marian Anderson found welcome at the University of Wisconsin. She sang at the Memorial Union in . . . — Map (db m32697) HM
38Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 64 — Adolf H. Kayser House — Claude and Starck — 1902 —
The Adolph H. Kayser house was designed by Claude and Starck, a local architectural firm that would later become the foremost practitioner of the Prairie School style in Madison. The design of the Kayser house is a distinctive blend of classical . . . — Map (db m40968) HM
39Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 141 — Aldo Leopold House — 1924
Aldo Leopold lived in this Craftsman style house from 1924 until his death in 1948. Leopold came to Madison to work at the U.S. Forest Products Laboratory and was a pioneer in forestry, wilderness preservation, soil conservation and wildlife . . . — Map (db m45691) HM
40Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 4 — Alexander Smith House
Built of sand limestone and cap limestone from a nearby quarry, this residence is an example of the Greek Revival style. The building was constructed as a farmhouse, but it also served as a halfway house for travelers between Milwaukee and Prairie . . . — Map (db m41991) HM
41Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 36 — American Exchange Bank — 1871 — Shipman —
This Italian Renaissance Revival style structure, a distinguished example of its type, was designed by Madison architect Stephen Vaughn Shipman. Built of Madison sandstone as the Park Savings Bank, the structure occupies the former site of the . . . — Map (db m33644) HM
42Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — American House
American House occupied this site 1838-1868 The first legislature in Madison met here November 26, 1838 — Map (db m36662) HM
43Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 98 — American Tobacco Co. Warehouses — 1899 - 1901
These two buildings are the most substantial warehouses built in Madison to house the processing of leaf tobacco. From the Civil War until the 1940s, leaf tobacco was among Dane County's most lucrative crops. The tobacco grown in Wisconsin was . . . — Map (db m53072) HM
44Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 100 — Anna and Cornelius Collins Residence — Claude and Starck, Architects — 1908 —
This house, designed by Madison's premier architectural firm of Claude and Starck in 1908, incorporates an eclectic mix of popular styles of the era and includes Prairie, Tudor and Craftsman features. Windows take center stage at the front faηade: . . . — Map (db m49272) HM
45Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Anton F. and Mary Kubicek Duplex
Anton F. and Mary Kubicek Duplex 1926 is listed in the State Register of Historic Places — Map (db m23740) HM
46Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Armory & Gymnasium — University of Wisconsin - Madison
Armory & Gymnasium University of Wisconsin - Madison has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m34019) HM
47Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 65 — B. B. Clarke House — Claude and Starck — 1899 —
One of Claude and Starck's earliest designs, this Queen Anne house has a Gothic theme, with pointed-arched windows and steeply pitched roofs. It was designed for B. B. Clarke, who earned a fortune in Indiana by manufacturing threshing machines . . . — Map (db m32867) HM
48Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — B.B. Clarke
First known as Monona Park when it was established in 1902, then Spaight Street Park, this park was renamed in 1929 for Bascom B. Clarke (1851-1929), a Madison businessman. He was a founder of the Dane County Telephone Company, publisher of the . . . — Map (db m41073) HM
49Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 89 — Badger State Shoe Factory — Ferdinand Kronenberg, Architect — 1910 —
Albert and Henry Atkins founded the Badger State Shoe Factory in Milwaukee in 1893. They expanded production to Madison in 1900 and in 1910 constructed this building to consolidate manufacturing operations. Significant for its association with turn . . . — Map (db m49284) HM
50Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Barry Alvarez
Winningest coach in UW football history with 118-73-4 record Guided Badgers to three Big Ten and three Rose Bowl titles in 16 seasons (1990-2006) Led UW to .727 winning percentage (8-3 record) in bowl games (best in college history at time of his . . . — Map (db m45685) HM
51Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 8 — Bashford House — 1856-7
This house is an example of the towered Italian Villa style executed in sandstone. Its square, hipped roof, three story tower, or campanile, is unique among old Madison residences. The house was first occupied by H. K. Lawrence, banker and . . . — Map (db m32466) HM
52Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 99 — Baskerville Apartments — 1913-1914
The Baskerville Apartments is one of Madison's finest remaining early apartment houses, built in an era of population explosion caused by enlargement of the University of Wisconsin, state government and private industry. Downtown densities increased . . . — Map (db m38941) HM
53Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bear — Wah-Zhe-Dah
Common type of ancient Indian mound - length 82 feet — Map (db m33425) HM
54Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 94 — Bear and Lynx Effigy Mounds — 500-1000 A.D.
These mounds were constructed by a people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33501) HM
55Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 6 — Beecroft House — Claude and Starck, Architects — 1911 —
This house is attributed to Madison master architects Claude and Starck and is an excellent example of the Prairie style of architecture. Louis Claude was influenced by the work of architectural masters Louis Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wright and George . . . — Map (db m58121) HM
56Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 81 — Bellevue Apartments — 1913 - 1914
Constructed by local builder Charles E. Marks, the Bellevue was the largest and most expensive apartment building erected during Madison's pre-World War I apartment house boom. Advertised as a place of "ease and comfort," the Bellevue featured such . . . — Map (db m39920) HM
57Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 109 — Belmont Hotel — Balch and Lippert, Architects — 1923 - 1924 —
The Belmont Hotel was built to serve business travelers and legislators, with two dining rooms and "modern facilities," meaning adjacent bathrooms. City boosters hoped that it would encourage conventions to come to Madison. The construction of the . . . — Map (db m41969) HM
58Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 47 — Bernard - Hoover Boat House — 1915
This frame building is the third boat house on the site. The site symbolizes the importance of pleasure boating in Madison in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The original boat yards and house were operated by Charles Bernard in . . . — Map (db m38703) HM
59Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bernie's Beach
Bernie Holtman Park, commonly known as Bernie's Beach, was dedicated in 1981. It was previously known as South Shore Beach and, before that, Gilson Street Beach. From 1945 until his death in 1980, Bernard Julius Holtman was the owner of Bernie's . . . — Map (db m45499) HM
60Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 55 — Biederstaedt – Breitenbach Grocery — 1874
A store with a residence above was a common pattern in nineteenth century Madison. This brick structure was erected as a saloon and grocery for Charles Biederstaedt. Built in a high Victorian Italianate mode, it replaced an earlier structure. In . . . — Map (db m33233) HM
61Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bird Effigy
Common type of Indian emblematic mound: Body 52½ feet, wingspread formerly about 133 feet — Map (db m33423) HM
62Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 34 — Bird Effigy Mound — 500-1000 A.D.
This mound was constructed by people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33532) HM
63Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Black Hawk — Sauk Chief
Black Hawk, Sauk chief, retreated through these grounds July 21, 1832 pursued by militia and U.S. regulars. — Map (db m32247) HM
64Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 1 — Black Hawk — Lake Monona: Change
Madison changed with great speed in the 1830s: from Ho-Chunk home to war zone to capital city. Powerful forces were gathering against the Ho-Chunks. To gain more land, southwest Wisconsin lead miners pressured the U.S. government to remove the . . . — Map (db m35314) HM
65Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Born in Madison, the Wisconsin Idea changed the nation — The Madison Heritage Series
In the early 20th century, experts from around the country came to study Wisconsin’s “laboratory of democracy.” The state’s Progressive politicians, led by “Fighting Bob”—Governor Robert La Follette Sr.—were using . . . — Map (db m32939) HM
66Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 143 — Boutell House — 1923
The Boutell House is significant as an elegant and finely detailed example of the Georgian Revival style in Madison. The style, locally popular between 1900 and 1940, is the product of the emergence of interest in Colonial architecture of the United . . . — Map (db m154088) HM
67Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 17 — Bowen House — 1856-7
This Italianate style farmhouse was built for Seth Van Bergen from locally quarried sandstone. It is characterized by ornate wood bracketing and a central cupola. In 1859, Van Bergen sold the house to James B. Bowen, local homeopathic physician, and . . . — Map (db m40976) HM
68Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bradley-Sigma Phi House
Bradley-Sigma Phi House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America — Map (db m41264) HM
69Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 43 — Braley House — 1875-76
The house of Judge Arthur B. Braley was a social and cultural center of the Mansion Hill area in the Nineteenth Century. The house was built of cream brick with incised stone lintels in the Late Gothic Revival style. Braley, a patron of the literary . . . — Map (db m33723) HM
70Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 13 — Breese J. Stevens House — 1863 - 1864
This multi-faceted brick Italianate house was built for Madison lawyer, Daniel K. Tenney. In 1871, Tenney sold it to Breese J. Stevens who probably altered the house significantly during his ownership. Stevens was elected mayor of Madison in 1884 . . . — Map (db m40861) HM
71Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Breese Stevens Field
Madison's oldest sports park is named for Breese Stevens (1834-1903). A New York native, he came to Wisconsin in 1856 to look after family landed interests. Stevens became Mayor of Madison in 1884, UW Regent in 1891, and Doctor of Law in 1902. . . . — Map (db m32639) HM
72Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 132 — Breese Stevens Field — Claude and Starck, Architects — 1925; 1934 —
Breese Stevens Field, named for the former Madison mayor whose family donated the land, is significant as the city's premier athletic facility from 1926 through the 1960s. The grandstand, designed by prominent Madison architects Claude and Starck in . . . — Map (db m58008) HM
73Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 49 — Brittingham Boat House — Ferry & Clas — 1910 —
The construction of this public boat house represents the spirit of municipal improvement that infused this city at the turn of the century. The parkland and its model facilities were created through the generosity of lumberman Thomas E. Brittingham . . . — Map (db m32456) HM
74Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 22 — Buell House — 1894 — Conover & Porter —
Designed for Madison attorney Charles Buell in the Shingle style with Queen Anne proportions and ornament, this house was the first built in University Heights. Called "Buell's Folly," it was the work of Madison architects Allen D. Conover and Lew . . . — Map (db m41149) HM
75Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Burr Jones Field
This park was named in recognition of the Honorable Burr W. Jones (1846-1935) an active member of the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association who conveyed property and funds to create and enhance the Madison parks system. Jones, a Wisconsin . . . — Map (db m90223) HM
76Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Burrows Park
This land was bequeathed to the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association in 1909 by one of its active members, George B. Burrows (1832 - 1909). The lake shore area was filled to its present level by dredging the lake bottom. Until 1913 an on-site . . . — Map (db m44408) HM
77Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 111 — Camp Randall
From these historic grounds went forth Wisconsin's sons to fight for the preservation of the nation in the American Civil War -- 1861-1865. More than 70,000 men trained for service within the boundaries of this camp named after Alexander W. Randall, . . . — Map (db m31743) HM
78Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Capitol Square has long been the heart of the city — The Madison Heritage Series
Even before Madison was founded, people met to exchange money and merchandise not far from this spot. Five hundred Ho-Chunk camped near the square in 1832 to swap furs for trader Oliver Armel’s goods. People began building businesses on Capitol . . . — Map (db m33482) HM
79Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 107 — Cardinal Hotel — Ferdinand Kronenberg, Architect — 1908-1909 —
The Cardinal Hotel, designed by prolific Madison architect Ferdinand Kronenberg, is significant for its association with east Madison's commercial and railway corridor. Conceived primarily to serve rail passengers, when constructed the hotel towered . . . — Map (db m77755) HM
80Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 351 — Ceramic Arts Studio of Madison
Once located at this site on North Blount Street, the Ceramic Arts Studio of Madison operated from 1940 until its closing in 1956. Founded by Lawrence Rabbitt and Reuben Sand, the company was one of the largest manufacturers of figurines in the . . . — Map (db m31833) HM
81Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Chamberlin Rock
This tablet commemorates the services to Wisconsin of Thomas Chrowder Chamberlin, leader in science and education, State Geologist of Wisconsin, 1873-1882, President of the University, 1887-1892. As State Geologist he conducted a survey . . . — Map (db m32249) HM
82Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 118 — Chi Phi Fraternity — Law, Law and Potter, Architects — 1928 —
The Chi Phi fraternity house is an outstanding example of the Tudor Revival style and is constructed of Madison sandstone. The striking design featuring steeply pitched and parapeted gables is one of the most accomplished works of premier Madison . . . — Map (db m78506) HM
83Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 84 — Chi Psi Lodge — 1911-1913
This imposing fraternity house was designed by noted Milwaukee architect Alexander C. Eschweiler and was built using Madison's native sandstone. Its Tudor Revival style is one of the best examples of that architecture in Madison. The Iota chapter of . . . — Map (db m40963) HM
84Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 86 — City Horse Barn — Built 1910-1914
This simple brick structure is a rare survivor of the horse-and-wagon era. Built as part of the old city yards, the barn housed up to nine draft horses whose job it was to pull maintenance and service vehicles. Each of the nine windows on the Dayton . . . — Map (db m32640) HM
85Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 50 — City Market — 1909 — Robert L. Wright —
The City Market reflects the active civic improvement work in Madison at the turn of the century. Like other public projects, the Market was intended to enhance the advantages of city life. The building design by Madison architect Robert L. Wright . . . — Map (db m32638) HM
86Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 29 — Collins House — c. 1911 — Claude & Starck —
Built for lumber executive William Collins, this dwelling was designed by architects Louis Claude and Edward Starck. The house is characterized by a gable roof, wide eaves, leaded glass windows, and horizontal and vertical banding that lends an . . . — Map (db m40964) HM
87Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Confederate Rest
The valiant Confederate soldiers who lie buried here were members of the 1st Alabama Inf. Reg., Confederate States of America. They were captured in the spring of 1862 in the Civil War Battle of Island No. 10 in the Mississippi River south of Cairo, . . . — Map (db m33779) HM WM
88Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Conical Mound — 0 - 400 A.D.
This mound was constructed by a people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33245) HM
89Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Controlling Blood Clotting — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Through the misfortune of a Wisconsin farmer, biochemist Karl Paul Link and his University of Wisconsin associates were handed the keys to discovery of anticlotting factors. Farmer Ed Carlson in February 1933 brought to Link sweet clover hay that he . . . — Map (db m115517) HM
90Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 76 — Corry Carriage House — 1911
This quaint stone carriage house was built for James and Minnie Corry. Corry, a well-known realtor, helped develop the Fair Oaks plat and was a promoter of the east side. The Corrys' plans to build a house in front of the carriage house were halted . . . — Map (db m45442) HM
91Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 56 — Curtis-Kittleson House — 1901
William D. Curtis commissioned the architectural firm of J. O. Gordon and F. W. Paunack to design this imposing brick house with Queen Anne style. Hallmarks of the style include the complex shape, wide veranda and corner tower, highlighted by . . . — Map (db m32670) HM
92Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 48 — Cutter House — 1882
Judson C. Cutter, an entrepreneur, commissioned the construction of this house, but he never lived here. The house is designed in a late Victorian period style, sometimes called Stick-Eastlake. The decorative surface treatment, which seems to show . . . — Map (db m41002) HM
93Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — David James Schaefer — 1955-2004
David James Schaefer, 1955-2004 was a phenomenal phenomenon. Though plagued by the progressive debilities of cerebral palsy, "Schaefer" was an uncomplaining and generous friend to many. Disability Rights Specialist for the City of Madison in . . . — Map (db m40520) HM
94Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 387 — Dean House / Nathaniel Dean
Marker Front: Dean House This simple flat-roofed cream brick structure with wood cornice and dentils was built by the Dean family as their country home. After 1871, the home was used by tenant farmers and in the 1920's as the Monona . . . — Map (db m144039) HM
95Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 85 — Delta Upsilon Fraternity House — 1906-1907
Founded in the spring of 1885, the Wisconsin Chapter of Delta Upsilon Fraternity has occupied this stately structure since 1907. Delta Upsilon Fraternity is unique among local fraternities as a non-secret Greek letter society since it has no secret . . . — Map (db m40961) HM
96Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 69 — Derrick C. Bush House — ca. 1867
Built of cream brick, this handsome Italianate house was constructed for Derrick C. Bush (1816-1887). A Vermont native, Bush became the village of Madison's first assessor in 1854, and later, a county judge. A later owner, Phineas Baldwin, was a . . . — Map (db m41393) HM
97Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 137 — Dick-Eddy Buildings — 1889 and 1907 — Conover and Porter, Architects —
The imposing Dick Building is a flat-iron building in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, a style in which the local architects, Conover and Porter, were particularly adept. The Dick block was built in part to house Christian Dick's wine and liquor . . . — Map (db m47942) HM
98Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Discovering Vitamins and Trace Minerals — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
By feeding diets of single grains to sixteen dairy heifers, University of Wisconsin scientists under the direction of biochemist E.B. Hart in 1907 set the stage for the discovery of vitamins and essential trace minerals. These feeding experiments . . . — Map (db m32356) HM
99Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Discovery of Vitamins A and B — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
In 1913 University of Wisconsin biochemist Elmer V. McCollum and associates used rats to conduct nutritional studies that led to the discovery of vitamin A in butterfat and cod liver oil. In 1917 his group discovered vitamin B complex in milk whey. . . . — Map (db m57103) HM
100Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Disease-Resistant Plants — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
At the end of the 19th century, a fungal infection called cabbage yellows threatened the entire Wisconsin cabbage crop. University of Wisconsin plant pathologist John C. Walker solved the problem by developing strains of cabbage resistant to the . . . — Map (db m32398) HM

430 entries matched your criteria. The first 100 are listed above. Next 100 ⊳
 
Paid Advertisement
Nov. 23, 2020