Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Tarrant County Texas Historical Markers

 
Arlington Downs Racetrack Marker and Fountain image, Touch for more information
By QuesterMark, March 15, 2016
Arlington Downs Racetrack Marker and Fountain
Texas (Tarrant County), Arlington — Arlington Downs Racetrack and Fountain
In 1929, William Thomas Waggoner (1852-1934), Texas pioneer, oilman, cattle baron, thoroughbred horse enthusiast, and philanthropist built the $2 million Arlington Downs Racetrack, Arlington's first major recreation venue. E. Paul and Guy, . . . — Map (db m93523) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Arlington — 16963 — Bankhead Highway Through Arlington
The Bankhead Highway, often referred to locally as the “Dallas Pike” east of Center Street and the “Fort Worth Pike” west of that road, played an important role in Arlington's future by connecting it to Dallas, Fort Worth, . . . — Map (db m69468) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Arlington — 16313 — Booker T. Washington School
Serving the African-American students of Arlington, Booker T. Washington School was a vital institution in the city. It had its roots in Arlington’s first black school, which was in place by the 1890s. The school served the growing African-American . . . — Map (db m70463) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Arlington — 16425 — Carver Dixon King
Born on May 18, 1843 in Tennessee, C.D. "Uncle Dutch" King was an early leader in Arlington. He moved to Texas in 1873 and became Arlington's first mayor shortly after the town was established in 1876; he again served as mayor from 1899-1900. King . . . — Map (db m93352) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Arlington — General Edward H. Tarrant
In this vicinity May 24, 1841 General Edward H. Tarrant with 70 men attacked several Indian villages situated along a creek (now called Village Creek) and recovered many horses and much stolen plunder. 12 Indians were killed and many wounded. Of the . . . — Map (db m75808) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Arlington — 18475 — Hawkins Cemetery
Named for Harvey Hawkins (1804-1869), a pioneer settler who came to Texas from Tennessee and first settled in Rusk County, the Hawkins Cemetery is the final resting place for families of the Tate Springs community. In 1848, Hawkins married Mary Ann . . . — Map (db m104842) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Arlington — Houston Hitching Block
In 1906 Albert L. Houston, a local salesman, purchased this lot in the Fitzhugh-Collins Addition and built a modest home for his wife Fannie and their children. The concrete hitching block was used in the early carriage days to tie horses and . . . — Map (db m108673) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Arlington — Jesse ChisholmFounder of World-Famous Cattle Trail — (1806-1868)
Represented the Republic of Texas and President Sam Houston in many negotiations with Indians. Half Scotsman, half Cherokee, a scout, hunter, trader and trailblazer. Spoke 40 Indian languages and dialects and was a respected influence among . . . — Map (db m111718) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Arlington — 4724 — Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack
Wealthy rancher and oilman W.T. Waggoner (1852-1934) developed a stable of fine Thoroughbreds and quarter horses at his ranch here in the 1920s. At this site he built Arlington Downs, a one-and-one quarter mile race track with a 6,000-seat . . . — Map (db m93528) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Arlington — 4732 — Site of Bird's Fort(One Mile East)
In an effort to attract settlers to the region and to provide protection from Indian raids, Gen. Edward H. Tarrant of the Republic of Texas Militia authorized Jonathan Bird to establish a settlement and military post in the area. Bird's Fort, . . . — Map (db m75805) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Arlington — 4950 — Sloan-Journey Expedition of 1838
In the spring of 1838, Captains Robert Sloan and Nathaniel T. Journey led a group of about 90 northeast Texas frontiersmen on a punitive expedition against the Indians who had raided their homes in present-day Fannin County. The trail led them to . . . — Map (db m75807) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Colleyville — 1272 — Dr. Lilburn Howard Colley
A veteran of the Union Army during the Civil War, Dr. L. H. Colley (1843-1924) and his wife, Martha Sabrina (Fowks) (1860-1914), migrated from Missouri to Texas in 1880. They settled in Bransford community in 1885, where Dr. Colley became a . . . — Map (db m55665) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Euless — 17042 — Alexander Dobkins Family Cemetery
Pioneer area settlers Alexander Dobkins (1815-1869) and his wife Mary (1818-1880) migrated to Texas from Tennessee in 1852. Ordained as a minister in the nearby Bear Creek Baptist Church, Alexander also served as postmaster for the local community . . . — Map (db m92008) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Euless — 15815 — Euless School
In 1913, patrons of three area elementary schools – Euless and Tarrant in the Euless District and Evatt (Crossroads) in the Evatt District – successfully petitioned Tarrant County Commissioners Court to merge and create the Euless Common . . . — Map (db m117437) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 4 — "The Stage Leaves From Here"
Few images of the American West are more enduring than the stagecoach. On July 18, 1856, the United States mail line brought the first stagecoach to Fort Worth on its way to Fort Belknap. The stagecoach stopped at Steel’s Tavern at the present . . . — Map (db m52279) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 1784 Tarrant County 1815Organized Aug 5, 1850-Named for — General Edward H. Tarrant
Born 1796, died at Fort Belknap 1858. Veteran of War of 1812, active in Battle of New Orleans. Veteran of Texas War of Independence 1836, Commander of Ranger Forces of Northwest Frontier 1837. Representative from Red River District in Congress of . . . — Map (db m52516) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 19 — African-American History
The first African-American residents of Fort Worth were slaves who received the delayed news of their emancipation on June 19, 1865. Those who remained in the area began to build a community on the city’s east side. A blacksmith shop operated by . . . — Map (db m52500) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 154 — Amon G. Carter
Born in Wise County, Texas, on December 11, 1879, Amon Giles Carter left home at an early age and worked at a variety of odd jobs around the country before his arrival in Fort Worth in 1905. Carter became the advertising manager of the “Fort . . . — Map (db m52831) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 11 — Amon G. Carter, Sr. (1879-1955)
From his arrival in Fort Worth in 1905 until his death, Amon Carter was the city’s most vigorous booster and champion. At his death, it was said that more than half of the city’s workers were employed by businesses Carter helped establish. As the . . . — Map (db m52283) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 201 — Armour & Company
In 1901, local business leaders G.W. Simpson and L.V. Niles began negotiating with Armour & Co., one of the nation’s four largest meatpacking firms, to encourage establishment of a branch plant in Fort Worth. The Fort Worth Stock Yards Co. offered . . . — Map (db m56976) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Armour and Swift Plaza
Designated as a state archeological landmark in 1987. This plaza honors the meatpacking industry, which helped make Fort Worth the livestock center of the southwest. In 1901, both meatpackers signed identical contracts with the Fort Worth Stock . . . — Map (db m56978) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 12201 — Blackstone Hotel
The first Art Deco skyscraper in Fort Worth, the Blackstone Hotel was erected in 1929 for wealthy cattleman C. A. “Gus” O'Keefe, who named it after a visit to the Blackstone Hotel in Chicago. The St. Louis architectural firm of Mauran, . . . — Map (db m52781) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Camp Bowie Boulevard
In 1917-18, this roadway was the main artery through Camp Bowie, a World War I training center. Narrow strips of asphalt paving flanked streetcar tracks that ran the length of the avenue, then called Arlington Heights Boulevard. After the war, . . . — Map (db m30025) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Camp Bowie in World War I
Headquarters, 36th Division, United States Army, 1917-1919. Established to train Texas National Guard and Oklahoma National Guard, after the U.S. entered World War I, April 1917. Named for James Bowie (1795-1836), one of the commanders who died at . . . — Map (db m28979) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Car 25
Car 25 is one of four electric motorcars ordered by the Northern Texas Traction Company (NTTC) in 1913. The cars were manufactured by the St. Louis Car Company. These cars served on the interurban lines between Ft. Worth and Dallas and occasionally . . . — Map (db m53427) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 17337 — Curzon Place
A. C. (Clayton) Luther (1896-1982), a Tennessee native, began to develop the area in the early 1930s with residential and commercial buildings. In the 1940s, he began construction of the Luther Apartments on Highland Street. The apartments were . . . — Map (db m79049) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 16 — Cynthia Ann Parker and Native Americans of North Texas
Native Americans hunted bison on the plains of North Texas in the 1800s. They traded freely with settlers, but conflicts did occur. Some tribal villages were attacked and some settlers’ homesteads were raided and captives taken. In January . . . — Map (db m52491) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 15744 — Douglass and McGar Parks
From the late 1800's, through the 1920's, during a time of Jim Crow segregation, Douglass and McGar Parks served as recreational grounds for African Americans in Fort Worth. In 1895 Thomas Mason, an African-American entrepreneur, with J.D. Johnson . . . — Map (db m107003) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — AQHHMP #5 — Early Quarter Horse Shows
Prior to 1940, Quarter Horses, also called Steeldusts or Billys, did not have an official breed name. However, there were shows where horsemen brought their Quarter Horses to be judged. William Anson of Christoval, TX, sponsored and judged this type . . . — Map (db m53425) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 1385 — Eddleman-McFarland House
Designed by Howard Messer, this Victorian house was built in 1899 for Sarah C. Ball (1825-1904), widow of Galveston banker George Ball. William H. Eddleman (1850-1932), a local banker, bought the home in 1904 and in 1921 gave it to his daughter . . . — Map (db m53418) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 18473 — Fairmount-Southside Historic District
The Fairmount-Southside Historic District is a predominately residential area in the center of Fort Worth's Historic Southside. Located approximately two miles south of present-day downtown, the district is comprised of 22 separate additions . . . — Map (db m104863) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 1710 — First Christian Church of Fort Worth
City’s pioneer congregation, organized by the Rev. A.M. Dean, who with hymn book and revolver came in 1855 to the riotous six-year-old hamlet on the Trinity. He held services (at present Belknap and Houston Streets) in a log house built for Post . . . — Map (db m52834) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — First Methodist Church Building
Initially a wood frame structure constructed in 1874, this “Fourth Street Church” was completed in 1887 of brick and limestone. Admired by many, the building was chronicled as “A very imposing structure in the Town of Fort Worth, . . . — Map (db m53217) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — First School1853
Site of the first school established by John Peter Smith Classes held in abandoned Fort Hospital in this block — Map (db m52517) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 1910 — Flatiron Building
Known in the early 1900s as the tallest building in north Texas. Erected 1907 for the renowned Dr. Bacon Saunders, Dean of City Medical College; Chief Surgeon, Nine Railroads; acclaimed as a pioneer of medicine in Texas. Designed by firm of . . . — Map (db m88117) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 14 — Flying Machines
Fort Worth residents got their first sight of flying machines in 1911 when the International Aviators National Tour was lured to town by Amon G. Carter, Sr. That same year the first “air mail” letter was delivered. During World War . . . — Map (db m52489) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 1956 — Former TSTA Building
Completed in 1930, this building was constructed to serve as the headquarters of the Texas State Teachers Association. Noted Fort Worth architect Wiley G. Clarkson designed the structure, which features Renaissance Revival styling. In 1949 the . . . — Map (db m126301) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 2026 — Fort Worth"Where the West Begins"
Founded June 6, 1849, as frontier post of Co. F, 2nd Dragoons, 8th Dept., U.S. Army. The commander, Maj. Ripley Arnold, named camp for his former superior officer, Maj. Gen. William Jenkins Worth. In 4 years of operations, the post had but one . . . — Map (db m52714) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Fort Worth 1849-1853
On June 6, 1849, Major Ripley Arnold and Company F of the Second Dragoons established a military post on this site. Arnold named the post Fort Worth to honor Major General William Jenkins Worth, Commander of the Department of Texas. Worth died of . . . — Map (db m121955) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 17927 — Fort Worth Belt Railway
Beginning in 1904, the Belt Railway serviced the Fort Worth Stock Yards. The arrival of the railroad in Fort Worth in 1876 moved the cow town from a regional economic player to a national force. The Stockyards Corporation, chartered in 1895, created . . . — Map (db m90588) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Fort Worth Library
Seeking funds for a public library, local women asked the philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, to donate "the price of a good cigar." He gave $50,000. With that and substantial local gifts, including land donated by Mrs. Sarah J. Jennings, the first . . . — Map (db m88120) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 2029 — Fort Worth Livestock Exchange
Headquarters, one of the greatest cattle markets in the world. In late 1860s Fort Worth was stop on cattle trails. Market for West Texas organized 1870s. First trader, T.B. Saunders, Sr., soon was joined by others. First small packing houses . . . — Map (db m28359) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 2030 — Fort Worth Main Post Office Building
The Fort Worth Post Office was established in 1856 with pioneer settler Julian Field serving as Postmaster. The central offices were moved here in 1933 when this building was completed. Designed by the Fort Worth firm of Wyatt C. Hedrick, it . . . — Map (db m52509) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 2032 — Fort Worth Stock Yards Company
The Fort Worth Stock Yards Company was created in 1893, when Boston capitalist Greenlief W. Simpson led a group of investors in purchasing the Fort Worth Union Stock Yards. Under Simpson's leadership, the Company earned the support of the Texas . . . — Map (db m28435) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 2033 — Fort Worth Stock Yards Entrance
Spanning Exchange Avenue, this gateway to the Fort Worth Stock Yards was completed in 1910. Constructed by the Topeka Bridge & Land Co. for the Fort Worth Stock Yards Co., it was a significant feat of concrete work for that era. The columns are 22 . . . — Map (db m53414) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 2035 — Fort Worth Stockyards Horse and Mule Barns
The Fort Worth Stock Yard Company's wooden horse and mule barns on this site were destroyed by fire on March 14, 1911, opening day of the Feeders and Breeders show (later Southwestern Exposition & Fat Stock Show). The show opened as planned, with . . . — Map (db m28440) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Fort Worth Zoological Park
The oldest continuous Zoo site in Texas, the Fort Worth Zoological Park has provided its visitors with many recreational and educational opportunities since 1909. The first Zoo in Fort Worth was a small menagerie then located in an old City Park and . . . — Map (db m29890) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Fort Worth's First Flight
In December 1903, the Wright Brothers achieved powered flight, but by 1910, most people still had not see an airplane. In October 1910, John Moisant of Chicago formed a touring aerial demonstration team known as the Moisant International Aviators. A . . . — Map (db m71262) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Fort Worth's First Telephone Exchange
On this site in September 1881 Fort Worth's first telephone exchange was founded by Southwest Telegraph and Telephone Company. It initially served 40 customers and employed three local employees. One hundred years later telephone service is supplied . . . — Map (db m53209) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 17361 — Founding Fort Worth
Major General William J. Worth was the commanding officer of the eighth military district including Texas and Mexico. His responsibility was to maintain peace between settlers and the plains Indians. His plan was to establish a new post on the . . . — Map (db m96405) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 5 — Gamblers & Gunfights
In the 1880s, Fort Worth, “the queen city of the prairies,” was home to good hotels, restaurants, theaters, banks, 60 saloons and 9 churches. Patrons dined at the elegant White Elephant Saloon with its 40-foot mahogany bar and climbed . . . — Map (db m52280) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — General William Jenkins Worth(1749-1849)
William Jenkins Worth, a native of Hudson, New York, was severely wounded at Lundy's Lane during the War of 1812. In 1820 he became instructor of infantry tactic and soldierly discipline at the United States Military Academy at West Point. He was . . . — Map (db m52501) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 18100 — Grammer-Pierce House
This California style Craftsman bungalow was built in 1915 by A.H. Richter and his wife, Violet (Murdock) Richter, in what is now the Fairmount Historic District. It was purchased in 1917 by Mrs. N.E. Grammer, widow of Nathaniel Grammer. Nathaniel . . . — Map (db m94541) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 8 — Grand Hotels
In March 1878, the lavish El Paso Hotel opened on this block. The three-storied, gas-lit, first class hotel featured a telephone and billiard room. It quickly became the major gathering place for city leaders, businessmen, visitors, actors and . . . — Map (db m52275) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 2250 — Grand United Order of Odd Fellows, Lodge No. 2144
Organized in 1880, this fraternal organization was an active force in Fort Worth's black community during the early years of the twentieth century. Associated with a national order that had been chartered in 1843, the local lodge supported seminars . . . — Map (db m53419) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 2394 — Harrison Cemetery
When first used, this one-acre cemetery belonged to Tarrant County pioneer D.C. Harrison. The earliest known grave is that of Mary E. Harrison (1864-71). Several early settlers used this site, including R.A. Randol (1850-1922), the operator of . . . — Map (db m76641) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 2431 — Hell's Half Acre
A notorious red light district known as Hell's Half Acre developed in this section of Fort Worth after the arrival of the Texas and Pacific Railway in 1876 launched a local economic boom. Fort Worth was soon the favorite destination for hundreds of . . . — Map (db m52502) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 2457 — Herbert M. Hinckley(1897 - 1938)
Engineering innovator who designed this dome for 1936 Texas Centennial. Staked reputation on plan (which uses a unique way of connecting radial arches at peak) despite doubts of many experts. Also designed nearby tower, buildings in major cities, . . . — Map (db m38758) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 2658 — Isham Cemetery
The Rev. W. Marion Isham (1831-1904) and his family came to Tarrant County from Georgia about 1870. Soon after arriving in the area Isham donated a one-acre plot of land to be used for a community cemetery. The oldest remaining legible grave marker . . . — Map (db m76640) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 17 — JFK
On the evening of November 21, 1963, President and Mrs. John F. Kennedy arrived in Fort Worth to spend the night at the Hotel Texas. Early the next morning, President Kennedy made an unscheduled outdoor appearance and surprised a crowd that had . . . — Map (db m52499) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 2799 — John Peter Smith(1831-1901)
A native of Kentucky, John Peter Smith migrated to Fort Worth in 1853. He worked as a teacher, clerk, and surveyor before his appointment as Deputy Surveyor of the Denton Land Department in 1855, for which he received payment in property. Also a . . . — Map (db m52506) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 3030 — Land Title Building
Pioneer architects Haggart and Sanguinet designed this brick sandstone and cast iron building with rounded arched windows and other ornate details. It featured the first known stone carving in Fort Worth, the figure of an owl, and displayed the . . . — Map (db m88115) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Leonard Brothers Department Store1918 - 1967
(center panel) Obie Paul Leonard • John Marvin Leonard Two farm boys, with ingenuity, determination and 600 dollars, built a business empire. (outer panels) The history of John Marvin Leonard and Obie Paul . . . — Map (db m52790) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 18103 — Meacham Field
On July 3, 1925, the Fort Worth city council approved a lease on 100 acres of property on Decatur Road for the city’s new municipal airport. It was built to replace the city’s first municipal airport at Barron Field, a World War I-era flying . . . — Map (db m97041) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Midnight1910 - 1936 — "World's Greatest Bucking Horse"
A Legend in His Own Time As He Is Today Midnight was born in Canada, the property of Tim McNabb. McNabb's "Door Key" brand was Midnight's mark throughout his life. He bucked on the American Rodeo circuit from 1923 to 1933 at which time he was . . . — Map (db m35919) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Morris and Conn Buildings
Originally the notorious Wild West watering hole known as the “White Elephant Saloon”. Long-Hair Jim Courtwright who had been both Federal and City Marshall here was shot and killed by Gambler - King Luke Short, February 8, 1887 at the . . . — Map (db m53212) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 3495 — Mount Olivet Cemetery
Encompassing almost 130 acres, the Mount Olivet Cemetery was founded in 1907 by Flavious G. McPeak (1858-1933) and his wife, Johnnie Clara Lester McPeak (1858-1936), who arrived in Fort Worth in 1894 from Tennessee. The land on which the cemetery is . . . — Map (db m92319) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Mt. Gilead Baptist Church
Organized & Built 15th & Crump Sts. 1875. Rebuilt 13th & Jones Sts. 1883. Rebuilt 5th & Grove Sts. 1912. — Map (db m53421) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 3499 — Mt. Zion Baptist Church
On Dec. 25, 1894, State Evangelist the Rev. Frank Tribune organized this Baptist church with five members: Ella and Lee Brooks, Katie Patterson, Laura Purvis, and Josephine Wells. With help from the Rev. Dr. A.R. Griggs, the members built a frame . . . — Map (db m71987) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 9 — Opera Houses & Theaters
The Adelphi, Fort Worth’s first vaudeville theater, opened in 1876 at 3rd & Main but soon closed. Within a month, the “Theatre Comique” occupied the site, attracting audiences to its popular presentations of western-style variety . . . — Map (db m52274) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Plaza Hotel BuildingSundance Square
This building was constructed in 1908 as a saloon with "Guest" rooms on the top floors. It belonged to Winfield Scott, one of Fort Worth's most prominent citizens who amassed a small fortune in the cattle business. A popular lodging place for . . . — Map (db m52278) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 14005 — Quanah Parker
Comanche chief Quanah Parker was a son of two cultures. He was born about 1845 along Elk Creek, Indian Territory (Oklahoma). His Anglo mother was Cynthia Ann Parker, taken captive in a May 1836 raid and adopted by Qua-Ha-Di (Antelope) Comanches, and . . . — Map (db m26908) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 17028 — Raymond C. Morrison
Raymond C. Morrison was born on Sep. 13, 1900 in Alworth, Illinois, to Phillip Huntley and Edith Adella (Cleveland) Morrison. On Jun. 9, 1924, he graduated from the New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Morrison married Helen . . . — Map (db m93814) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 4881 — Site of Saint Stanislaus Kostka Catholic Church
Catholics in Fort Worth began meeting together for regular worship services by 1875. They met in private homes, and were served by traveling priests. In 1876 Bishop Claude Dubuis of the Diocese of Galveston assigned a young Irish priest, Farther . . . — Map (db m52504) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 13486 — Site of the First Masonic Hall in Fort Worth
After many years of debate, Fort Worth researchers identified this site in 1957 as the location of the city's first Masonic lodge. For more than twenty years, lodge members met in a two story hall at this location. The group organized in 1854 and . . . — Map (db m52716) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Site of the Fort Worth Medical College
The Forth Worth Medical College was established as the medical department of Fort Worth University in 1894 by a group of prominent area physicians. Among those in its small charter class was Frances Daisy Emery, the first woman medical school . . . — Map (db m53215) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show
Fort Worth Stock Yards Company publicist Charles C. French and local cattleman Charles C. McFarland organized the first livestock show in north Fort Worth in 1896. Members of the Texas Cattle Raisers Association (TCRA) participated in the initial . . . — Map (db m38756) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — St. Ignatius Academy Building
The first Catholic School in Fort Worth, St. Ignatius Academy was organized by the sisters of St. Mary of Namur in 1885. The first classes were held in a house purchased from Jacob Smith. This four-story limestone structure, used for classrooms and . . . — Map (db m52505) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 4475 — St. Patrick's Cathedral
Erected 1888-1892 under the direction of the parish priest, the Rev. Jean M. Guyot, a native of France. Stone for walls was quarried locally. Improvised, horse-powered lathes were used to turn and polish the eighteen interior pillars. Ceilings and . . . — Map (db m52523) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 5167 — Swift & Company
A leading national meatpacking firm by the 1880s, Swift & Co. adopted a practice of opening branch plants nearer the source of supply. Attracted to Texas by the state’s vast livestock herds. The company chose this site for a new operation as the . . . — Map (db m56974) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 5195 — Tarrant County Courthouse
Designed by firm of Gunn & Curtis and built by the Probst Construction Company of Chicago, 1893-1895. This red Texas granite building, in Renaissance Revival style, closely resembles the Texas State Capitol with the exception of the clock tower. . . . — Map (db m121876) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 5196 — Tarrant County Criminal Courts Building
Built in 1917-18, this structure is located on land upon which old Camp Worth was constructed in 1849. The noted Fort Worth architectural firm of Sanguinet and Staats designed the building, incorporating elements of the Beaux Arts and Classical . . . — Map (db m52720) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Tarrant County War Memorial "Spirit of the American Doughboy"
(South Face) This memorial is dedicated to the honor of Tarrant County citizens who served their country during World War I World War II The Korean War The Vietnam War The Persian Gulf War May 25, 1980 (North . . . — Map (db m92318) WM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Texas Christian University
Texas Christian University and Fort Worth's partnership dates to 1910 although the connection began in 1869 when Ida Addison, and Randolph Clark established TCU's forerunner academy in the area known as Hell's Half Acre. The rowdiness of the area . . . — Map (db m121907) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 5278 — Thannisch Block Building
The eastern portion of this structure was built in 1906-07 by Col. Thomas Marion Thannisch (1853-1935), one of north Fort Worth's early developers. Designed for use as a hotel and office space to serve the Stockyards community and trade, the . . . — Map (db m53416) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 229 — The Atelier Building
Developer Thomas S. Weaver had this structure built about 1905. Named "Atelier", the French word for an artist's studio, it has housed the offices of architects and contractors, a restaurant, and financial institutions, including the banking firm of . . . — Map (db m118253) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 945 — The Coliseum
Until 1908, The Annual Fort Worth Fat Stock Show was held in a variety of locations. As interest increased in the event and its educational and promotional values were realized, livestock exhibitors sought a permanent home for the show. The coliseum . . . — Map (db m53426) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — The First Bulldogger
W.M. "Bill" Pickett (1870-1932) originated the rodeo event of Bulldogging, known today as steer wrestling. Native Texan Pickett developed a unique style of bulldogging, which made him world famous as a Wild West Show and Rodeo Performer. . . . — Map (db m52777) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 3569 — The Neil P. Anderson Building
Neil P. Anderson (1847-1912) lived in Fort Worth by 1882. A talented broker, he helped this city set the pace for cotton trading in the inland markets of the southwest. His firm had Sanguinet & Staats design this “Cotton Exchange” with . . . — Map (db m52830) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — The Site of Camp Worth
This stone marks the site of Camp Worth, a United States Military Post named in Honor of General William J. Worth and Commanded by Major Ripley A. Arnold 1849-1853. The camp protected the frontier against Indians, and was the beginning of the City . . . — Map (db m52717) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 12 — The Wild Bunch
When professional photographer John Swartz snapped this famous photograph of five young men in 1901, he had no idea it would end up on a “wanted” poster. Swartz and his brothers, considered Fort Worth’s premier photographers, were . . . — Map (db m52284) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 5465 — Thomas B. Saunders Family
A native of North Carolina, Thomas Bailey Saunders (1816-1902) migrated to Texas in 1850 and started a cattle ranch near Gonzales. After the Civil War he completed cattle drives to markets in New Orleans and Kansas before settling in Bexar County. . . . — Map (db m53413) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 15766 — Westbrook Estate
The Roy A. and Gladys Westbrook House is a 2½ story Tudor Revival style home constructed in 1928. The house sits on a 1.5 acre blufftop site in the Park Hill neighborhood that overlooks the Fort Worth Zoo and Forest Park. The Park Hill . . . — Map (db m94351) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Kennedale — 18476 — Kennedale Independent School District
Known for its farming and brick manufacturing, the town of Kennedale was not officially incorporated until 1947. However, the town's citizens recognized early the need for educational facilities for area families. To accommodate their need, the . . . — Map (db m105033) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Westworth Village — 18383 — Fort Worth Army Air Field
By January 1941, negotiations between Fort Worth civic advocates, led by Amon G. Carter, and the U.S. Army yielded an agreement to construct an aircraft plant near the city to build B-24 Liberator bombers. Legislation later authorized the creation . . . — Map (db m106248) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Westworth Village — 18384 — Horace Seaver Carswell, Jr.Major, United States Army Air Corps
Horace Seaver Carswell, Jr. was born on July 18, 1916, to Horace S. and Bertha Rea Carswell of Fort Worth. He attended North Side High School where he excelled in athletics. Graduating in 1934, Carswell entered Texas A&M College and later . . . — Map (db m106247) HM

96 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.