Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Newark, Delaware Historical Markers

 
American Position Marker image, Touch for more information
By Beverly Pfingsten, December 27, 2008
American Position Marker
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-41 — American Position — Battle of Cooch's Bridge
On September 3, 1777, an American Light Infantry Corps composed of Continental soldiers from New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, with militia from Pennsylvania and Delaware, was stationed west of Christina Creek between Aikentown . . . — Map (db m14788) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-A7 — Battle of Cooch's Bridge
American light infantry and cavalry under General William Maxwell encountered advance guard of British and Hessian troops under Generals Howe, Cornwallis and Knyphausen in this vicinity September 3, 1777. American troops were expert marksmen drafted . . . — Map (db m9774) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-42 — British Position — Battle of Cooch's Bridge
On the morning of September 3, 1777, soldiers of the Hessian Field Jaeger Corps encountered American light infantry positioned in the woods and fields along this road, which led from Aikentown (Glasgow) to Cooch's Bridge. The Americans attacked the . . . — Map (db m57931) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-205 — Christiana Public School #111-C
Formal education for African American children in Christiana began in the 1880s with the construction of a one-room schoolhouse. Many African American schools in existence at this time were marked by dilapidated facilities, a lack of running water, . . . — Map (db m94284) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-106 — Deer Park Hotel
Since the mid-18th century an establishment for public hospitality has existed here. The first building, of wood construction, was known as St. Patrick's Inn. Famous visitors included surveyors Mason and Dixon. The property was purchased by James S. . . . — Map (db m9907) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Delaware's Field of Valor
On 3 September 1777 an American light infantry corps under the command of Brigadier General William Maxwell engaged British and Hessian forces here in the Battle of Cooch's Bridge. Maxwell's Corps was composed of soldiers from New Jersey, North . . . — Map (db m14789) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-83 — Eastburn-Jeanes Mining Complex — (c. 1816 - 1900's)
This is the site of the Eastburn-Jeanes farms and mining industry. Marble from the Cockeysville Formation, found in three quarries in the area, was heated in kilns to produce quick lime for fertilizer and mortar. The lime was transported over . . . — Map (db m92273) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-104 — Ebenezer United Methodist Church
The first meetings of this congregation were held in the homes of its members. In 1824 a stone church building was erected at this location. The growth of the congregation resulted in the replacement of the original building by a one-story frame . . . — Map (db m10443) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Enjoy the Pencader Area Today
If you are just "passing through" or are a new resident or even a life-long Delawarean, we hope to spark your interest in the varied activities available in the Pencader Hundred Area. Whether your are experiencing these for the first time or . . . — Map (db m10871) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-115 — Head of Christiana Presbyterian Church
The first Presbyterian services in this area were conducted by Rev. John Wilson in 1706. Then pastor of New Castle Presbyterian Church, Rev. Wilson came every other Sunday to minister to the many residents of this area who had immigrated from . . . — Map (db m9979) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-159 — Hiram Lodge No. 25 — Grand Lodge of Delaware, A.F. & A.M.
By the 1780's members of the Masonic fraternity were organized and meeting locally. On December 6, 1802, a charter was issued by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania for Lodge No. 96 in Newark. This was one of four Lodges whose representatives gathered . . . — Map (db m9972) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Historic Iron Ore Mining
What is iron ore? Iron is a silvery-white, solid metal, though when found in Pencader Hundred, it commonly appears as a brown and sometimes nearly black oxide of iron. Its chemical symbol Fe, is derived from ferrum, the Latin word for . . . — Map (db m10705) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — In the Beginning — Formation of the Delmarva Peninsula
Left Column Delaware is the second smallest state in the country. However, we played an important role in the formation of the nation. Caesar Rodney rode from Lewes to Philadelphia to cast the deciding vote for independence in 1776. We were . . . — Map (db m10867) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Iron Hill School #112C — Preserving History: The African-American Community of Iron Hill
The Iron Hill Museum is dedicated to the study of human and natural history of the Iron Hill Area. The Museum is currently engaged in a project to restore the Iron Hill School #112C and document the experiences of African-American students who . . . — Map (db m10053) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-211 — Iron Hill School #112-C
The Iron Hill area was a community of African American farming and mining families. Constructed in 1923, Iron Hill School #112-C was one of over 80 schools built with funding from Pierre S. duPont, who sought to replace rundown public schools with . . . — Map (db m94286) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Iron Hill School #112-C
The Iron Hill Museum is dedicated to the study of human and natural history of the Iron Hill Area. The Museum is currently engaged in a project to restore the Iron Hill School #112C and document the experiences of African-American students who . . . — Map (db m94288) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-196 — Judge Morris Estate
This estate, now owned and operated by Delaware State Parks, was once known as Chestnut Hill and contains a manor house and approximately 500 acres of land. John Barclay acquired the property after the American Revolution and in 1792 built the main . . . — Map (db m92142) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-151 — Meeteer House
In the late 18th century a paper mill was established by Thomas Meeteer on the banks of nearby White Clay Creek. In later years Thomas was succeeded in business by his sons Samuel and William. the property on which this house stands was purchased by . . . — Map (db m9976) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Milling in Pencader Hundred
What is Milling? Milling is a process of taking whole bulbs, tubers, nuts, seeds, grains or other foods from its original size to a smaller size by pounding, grinding or rolling it until it is the consistency of a meal, flour or powder. Early . . . — Map (db m10712) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-130 — New Century Club
In 1893 a group of Newark women established a literary and social organization known as the Tuesday Club. Later renamed the New Century Club, the organization became part of the General Federation of Women's Clubs. Committed to matters of civic . . . — Map (db m9969) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-183 — New London Avenue School
The first documented public school for African-American youth in the Newark community was established in 1867 by the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands. This was one of several schools established in Delaware during the post Civil War . . . — Map (db m92143) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-35 — Newark Academy
Founded at New London, Pennsylvania, in 1741 by Rev. Dr. Francis Alison, removed in 1752 to Cecil County, Md., and in 1767 to Newark. Chartered by Thomas and Richard Penn 1769. Closed from 1777 to 1780 on account of Revolutionary War. Merged with . . . — Map (db m9781) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-206 — Newark Passenger Railroad Station
Designed by architect and engineer S.T. Fuller, the Newark Passenger Railroad Station was built in 1877 at a cost of over $9,000.00 by the Philadelphia, Willimgton and Baltimore Railroad (P. W. & B) to replace an earlier frame building. An article . . . — Map (db m94282) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-136 — Newark United Methodist Church
By 1799 a small group of Methodists was organized and meeting in the homes of its members in the Newark area. Desiring a permanent place of worship, the congregation built the town's first church building on land that was provided by Isaac Tyson at . . . — Map (db m9897) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-A3 — Old College — Erected 1833-1834
This building contained a chapel (called the Oratory) class, dormitory, dining, administrative, and student society rooms. Newark College chartered February 5, 1833, opened its doors for instruction May 8, 1834. Name changed to Delaware College . . . — Map (db m92139) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Old Welsh Tract Church
Oldest Primitive Baptist Church in America. This marker was presented by Delaware Chapter - Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America. — Map (db m39553) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-139 — Oriental Lodge #12, I.O.O.F.
The origins of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows can be traced to the creation of beneficial trade societies in England. Composed of craftsmen who practiced a variety of different or "odd" occupations, the purpose of these organizations was to . . . — Map (db m9898) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-124 — Pencader Presbyterian Church
On October 15, 1701, William Penn granted 30,000 acres of land to William Davies, David Evans, and William Willis "in behalf of themselves and Company of new Welsh Purchasers." Known as the Welsh Tract, this expansive holding attracted large numbers . . . — Map (db m9773) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-203 — Poplar Hall
James Boulden the Elder and his family moved to Delaware from Maryland in the mid-18th century, amassing wealth and expanding their land ownership in Pencader Hundred as the century progressed. The two-story brick mansion house was built during this . . . — Map (db m94181) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-129 — Pride of Delaware Lodge #349 IBPOEW
The Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World was formally organized in 1898. Designed to promote civic improvements, the IBPOEW is one of the largest fraternal organizations of its type in the world. Responding to the request of a . . . — Map (db m9974) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Purple Heart Trail in Delaware
Dedicated by Governor Jack A. Markell and the Military Order of the Purple Heart, Department of Delaware July 27, 2011 The National Purple Heart Trail Memorializes those heroic soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who have had the Purple . . . — Map (db m65649) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-116 — R.T. Foard and Jones Funeral Home
Completed in 1886, this was the home and place of business of Theodore F. Armstrong, a prominent local merchant and civic leader. Reflecting the growing prosperity of the community and its residents, this hybrid of Queen Anne and Gothic architecture . . . — Map (db m9905) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-34 — Robert Kirkwood, Jr.
Born in 1756, Robert Kirkwood, Jr. spent his youth on the family farm several miles north of Newark. Kirkwood eventually enrolled at the Newark Academy, later to become the University of Delaware. When the American Revolution began, Kirkwood was . . . — Map (db m47261) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-172 — Salem United Methodist Church
The origin of Methodism in this part of Delaware can be traced to the early 1770's when a Methodist Society was organized and began meeting in the home of Isaac Hersey, a prominent farmer and miller. Through the efforts of Hersey's step-son William . . . — Map (db m94281) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-167 — St. John African Methodist Church
This congregation was organized circa 1848. Early meetings were held in a log cabin at this location on land that was conveyed to trustees of the "Protestant Methodist Church" in 1850. In 1866 the members of the First Colored Methodist Protestant . . . — Map (db m9968) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-122 — St. John the Baptist Church
In 1868, the original Old Village Presbyterian Church, which stood on this location, was purchased by Charles A. Murphey. The property was donated to the Catholic Diocese of Wilmington, and the church was named St. Patrick's. It became a mission of . . . — Map (db m9779) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Battle of Cooch's Bridge
On September 3, 1777 over 800 Americans forming the Light Infantry Corps of Brigadier General William Maxwell engaged about 2,000 British Light Infantry and Hessian and Anspach "Jδgers" (light infantry) in a series of skirmishes ending at . . . — Map (db m10055) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Chambers House
Top Panel: A historic house leaves, then returns to the family. The story of the Chambers House begins in 1775 when Benjamin Chambers bought 250 acres of land and set up a sawmill on nearby White Clay Creek. His son Joseph built this house . . . — Map (db m72723) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Diamonds Walkway
The Diamonds Walkway recognizes donors who make leadership level gifts to the University of Delaware for five consecutive years as members of the Delaware Diamonds Society. Each brick in the walkway is inscribed to recognize the generosity of our . . . — Map (db m92140) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Judge Morris Estate — The Former Home of a Delaware Attorney and Judge
Built in the 1790s, this 2½ story gray fieldstone house is the former home of Judge Hugh M. Morris. Morris was a Delaware native, respected attorney and distinguished federal judge. He purchased the house and a large parcel of land here in . . . — Map (db m39506) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-182 — The Philadelphia Campaign — Battle of Cooch's Bridge
In August 1777, British forces under the command of General William Howe landed at the Head of Maryland's Elk River. Their goal was the capture of Philadelphia, the capital of the young republic. On September 3, advancing troops were engaged by an . . . — Map (db m14787) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-36 — The Wedge
The wedge-shape tract, west of the Maryland and Delaware curve, consists of approximately 800 acres of land. For more than a century, the property was claimed by Pennsylvania but governed by Delaware. In 1889, a joint committee appointed from both . . . — Map (db m9961) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Veterans Memorial
In memory of the men from Newark who gave their lives in World War II and in honor of those who served in the great wars Ralph E. Adams • Woodrow W. Gravenor • Harold N. Sheaffer Robert G. Allen • Charles W. Greer, Jr. • Ralph R. Skillman James . . . — Map (db m9901) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-195 — Vic Willis
Victor Gazaway Willis was born April 12, 1876 and spent his youth and much of his life in Newark, Delaware. He attended and played baseball for Delaware College (now the University of Delaware) in 1897. The Delaware Peach," as he was known, became . . . — Map (db m92141) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-53 — Washington's Reconnaissance
Generals Washington, Greene and Lafayette came to Iron Hill, August 26, 1777 in hope of viewing British army then landing along Elk River. Only a few tents could be seen. A heavy storm coming up, they spent the night in a nearby farm house. — Map (db m9778) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Your Gateway to Pencader Heritage — Exploring the Past
Left Column Welsh Tract Church William Penn granted a 30,000 acre tract of land to three Welshmen, (David Evans, William Davis, and William Willis) in 1701. They and their followers had left southern Wales in search of religious freedom. . . . — Map (db m10874) HM

46 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement