Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
57 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Pineville

 
1000 Block Main Street Marker image, Touch for more information
By Cajun Scrambler, November 25, 2017
1000 Block Main Street Marker
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — 1000 Block Main Street
Dodd's Rooming House, 1927, once stood on the site of Charles McTire's Beauty School. J.B. Kelly, Dentist, and C.B. Durham, MD, had offices upstairs in the rooming house. During the 50's C.E. Pickett operated a grocery downstairs. Later businesses . . . — Map (db m115602) HM
2Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — 1100 Block Main Street
1926: R.K. Garrett moved to Pineville and founded Garrett Brothers Paint Company. 1938: Russell's Lumber Yard opened its doors. 1943: Builders Lumber and Supply moved onto the Russell site. Co-owners were Bob Till, Simon Tudor and J.E. Ratcliff. . . . — Map (db m115601) HM
3Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — 1101 Main Street
1101 Main Street: The cafe and rooming house of Oliver Schwartzenburg was replaced in the 1930's by the Pineville Coffee Company, Robert Durham, owner. In the late 50's Charles Puckett opened a Mobile service station on the site which became . . . — Map (db m110935) HM
4Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — 200 Block of Main Street
The 200 block of Main Street was the location of both the second Pineville post office in 1885 housed in David's Store, and the 1927 City Hall, located where Hank's Pawn Shop now stands, 1917: Frank Smith opened Pineville Marble and Granite Works . . . — Map (db m116160) HM
5Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — 300 Block Main Street
1913: E. Blum opened a nursery on land leased from the Jewish Cemetery. Later, O.M. Barnage and James Haley operated nurseries there until the cemetery expanded. 1858: Charles Schraeder, Theodore Schaedel and Christian Baden built the Episcopal . . . — Map (db m120638) HM
6Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — 600 Block Main Street East
The Second story of the Masonic Lodge building has been the meeting place of Solomon Lodge 221 and the Order of the Eastern Star since the early days of Pineville. The first floor has housed such businesses as Piggly Wiggly No. 2, 1927, and A.A. . . . — Map (db m120581) HM
7Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — 600 Block Main Street West
The oldest business building in Pineville is located just behind the 600 Block at 105 Hayden, now Gabor Painting. The building was originally at 101 Main Street as Davie's Warehouse. Later it housed a broom factory. It was moved to its present . . . — Map (db m120583) HM
8Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — 700 Block Main Street
Much business was done in the 700 block and many prominent businessmen who worked here represented their fellows in government. Dr. George S. Long, former dentist and brother to governors Huey and Earl Long, served as a United States Congressman. . . . — Map (db m116337) HM
9Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — 800 Block Main Street
Owl Drugs, Sherwin Williams Paints, Buddy's Bakery, Dance Studio, Co-op Offices and E.B. Rogers' Grocery Market have all occupied the commercial buildings on the eastern corner of the street. 822 Main Street was the residence of J.E. Kenny, earlier . . . — Map (db m115600) HM
10Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — 835 Main Street
1927: I.B. Lacroix opened a gas station on the east corner of the block. It was later moved across the street where it remained under the ownership of his son, I.B. Lacroix, Jr. Bucky Pease's Garage replaced the Gremillion home adjacent to the . . . — Map (db m111561) HM
11Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — 900 Block of Main Street
1919: The First Baptist Church of Pineville was built at 901 Main. The church has now expanded to include all of the west side of the block. During the 50's and 60's Gertrude Leatherman's Tiny Tot College Kindergarten was the educational hub for . . . — Map (db m111072) HM
12Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — A Brief History of the Seminary and the Original CampusOld LSU Site — Louisiana State Seminary of Learning and Military Academy —
1860 The Louisiana State Seminary of Learning and Military Academy, the predecessor of the Louisiana State University, opened at this site in January 1860 with Colonel William Techmseh Sherman as its first superintendent, five faculty . . . — Map (db m111560) HM
13Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Address by President LincolnNovember 19, 1863
Address by President Lincoln At the dedication of The Gettysburg National Cemetery November 19, 1863Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and . . . — Map (db m137261) HM WM
14Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Alexandria HallLouisiana College
Alexandria Hall Louisiana College Has been designated a Registered National Historic LandmarkUnder the provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the . . . — Map (db m110649) HM
15Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Alexandria National Cemetery
The Alexandria National Cemetery, Pineville, was authorized by an Act of Congress on February 22, 1867, and the United States, through the Secretary of War, took possession April 1871 of this property from the Succession of Franco Poussan. The . . . — Map (db m110587) HM
16Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Alexandria National Cemetery
Civil War AlexandriaAlexandria, Louisiana, served briefly of the Confederate Department of the Trans-Mississippi, as the headquarters a vast area encompassing states and territories west of the Mississippi River.In spring 1863, the . . . — Map (db m136134) HM
17Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Bailey's Dam
"If damming would get the fleet off, it would have been afloat long before." Rear Admiral David D. Porter Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Bailey While Union officers surveyed the situation and discussed the possible loss of the boats trapped . . . — Map (db m38532) HM
18Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Campus LifeOld LSU Site — Louisiana State Seminary of Learning & Military Academy —
Life at the Seminary offered few distractions and fewer luxuries to either the faculty or the cadets. Fresh produce and meat were not available, but despite the poor food, students left the Seminary in better physical condition than when they . . . — Map (db m111169) HM
19Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Cavanaugh Hall of Science
The Cavanaugh Hall of Science bears the name of Charles J. Cavanaugh, whose teaching career spanned 1945 to 1977 as professor of biology at his alma mater, Louisiana College. Prof Cavanaugh, as he was affectionately known, often lectured without . . . — Map (db m136036) HM
20Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Central Louisiana State Hospital Cemetery
Authorized by Act 92 of the 1902 Louisiana Legislature, cemetery and morgue sites were selected in January 1906. There are 2,356 persons who are interred in the cemetery, the last occurring in June 1985. Individual graves for persons who are . . . — Map (db m116347) HM
21Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — City of Pineville
In 1722 Diron d'Artaguette, Inspector of Troops in Louisiana, recommended the establishment of a fortified post on Red River to prevent Indian attacks on those portaging the rapids. Although it is probably that some type of French presence was . . . — Map (db m110596) HM
22Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Deserting soldiers and the end of the war
On April 15, 1865 General Robert E. Lee surrendered to Brigadier General Ulysses Grant. At Fort Buhlow, soldiers quickly fled home, feeling that the end of the war was near. With the threat of a Union advance northward, Brigadier General Joseph . . . — Map (db m148002) HM
23Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Early LeadershipOld LSU Site — Louisiana State Seminary & Military Academy —
William Tecumseh Sherman, a graduate of West Point, was appointed the fist superintendent and a professor of engineering of the Louisiana Seminary of Learning & Military Academy. In June of that year, General G. Mason Graham wrote to Major D.C. . . . — Map (db m111061) HM
24Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Fallen Federal Firefighters/ Oklahoma City Bombing Victims Memorial Grove
Side AFallen Federal Firefighters Memorial Grove On May 30, 1995 this grove of 5 redbud trees was planted as a living memorial to the federal firefighters who lost their lives in the line of duty in 1994, and to the victims of the tragic April . . . — Map (db m110951) HM
25Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — First Baptist Church
Side A On January 8, 1911, Pineville Baptist was founded in a brush tabernacle on Reagan Street. Thereafter, the church met at Louisiana College until a brick sanctuary was built on this site in 1919. Under Pastor T.W. Gayer . . . — Map (db m110752) HM
26Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — First United Methodist ChurchPineville, Louisiana
1802-1806 First Circuit Riders (ministers) began work in Louisiana. 1811 Rapides Circuit formed - Miles Harper presiding Elder. 1814 John Shrock began work in Rapides area of Louisiana. 1817 Ashley Hewitt, Richmond Nolley, Jonathan C. Jones and . . . — Map (db m125135) HM
27Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Fort Buhlow and Fort Randolph
Fort Buhlow and Fort Randolph were earthwork/moat fortifications constructed beginning October 1864 by Confederate forces anticipating a repetition of Union Gen. Nathaniel Banks’ Summer 1864 Red River Expedition. Construction, completed March 1865, . . . — Map (db m7848) HM
28Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — How Fort Buhlow was built
There are no detailed descriptions or illustrations of how Fort Buhlow was built. However, through military reports and other historical records it is known that Fort Buhlow was a circular earthwork fort with an outer ditch around it. It was . . . — Map (db m147330) HM
29Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — In Honor and Memory of Louisiana College Students
. . . — Map (db m111150) WM
30Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Intersection of Main and Reagan streets
1926: The Corner Grocery Store stood at the intersection of Reagan and Main. 904 Main was Levy Lawrence's Rooming House in the 40's. Owl Drug Store in the 60's and today the City Court building. 1926: The Methodist Episcopal Church moved into a two . . . — Map (db m111645) HM
31Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Intersection of Shamrock and Main Streets
1926: Frank Delahoussaye's Owl Drug Store was located at the corner of Shamrock and Main. It sold first to Drew and Ferol Lacroix and then to Fred Tannehill. When the pharmacy relocated, the building became Lew Boyce's Grocery. Later the building . . . — Map (db m120620) HM
32Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Kees Park
Edward J. Barrett, an Irishman who was a soldier in the Federal Army of Occupation which was billeted in Pineville for two years after the conclusion of the Civil War, chose to remain and in 1868 married a local girl, Mary Reagan. He was later . . . — Map (db m117917) HM
33Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Kolin Czech Colony
In 1908, the Bohemian Colonization Club was begun by J. Rosicky, publisher & editor of the Hospodář, to establish family centered Czech colonies. In 1912, Wesly Wosterchil, Frank Zumpfe, and J. Sobotka located 21,000 acres of cut-over . . . — Map (db m116058) HM
34Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Louisiana College
The roots of Louisiana College extend to schools at Mount Lebanon (Bienville Parish) and Keachie (DeSoto Parish), founded in the 1850's by north Louisiana Baptists. By the end of the nineteenth century the Louisiana Baptist Convention (LBC) assumed . . . — Map (db m110635) HM
35Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Main Street
1910: Main Street was paved and sidewalks were added. Prior to 1927, homes and vacant filled the block. The Protective Union Hall, Negro Benevolent Society, was both meeting place and school for black children until 1916. In the late 20's, the . . . — Map (db m120622) HM
36Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Mount Olivet Cemetery and Chapel
The cemetery was purchased in 1858 by St. James Episcopal Church, Alexandria. It is the second oldest cemetery in Rapides Parish and has always served as a community burial ground. The earliest marker is 1824. Mount Olivet Chapel was established . . . — Map (db m110590) HM
37Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Mount Olivet Chapel
Oldest Structure in Pineville. It was completed in 1857. At one time during the Civil War, it served as barracks for the Federals. Mount Olivet now serves as a chapel of the Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana. — Map (db m110432) HM
38Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Pierson Lake
This lake is named in honor forDr. Clarence PiersonBenefactor of the mentally ill in Louisiana Superintendent of the Central Louisiana State Hospital 1905 1928-1934 — Map (db m116090)
39Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Pineville #1
Pineville today encompasses the first central Louisiana settlement begun on this spot in the early 1700's. Post Du Rapide took its name from "el rapido", the rapides in Spanish and "les rapide", from the French. The first levee was built along the . . . — Map (db m116639) HM
40Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Pineville #2
Pineville, located on the Edmund Murphy Land Grant, part of the original Post du Rapide, offered a variety of goods and services to early settlers. Traders Beauboeuf, Poussin, and David brought the first stores to Pineville where the streets became . . . — Map (db m116636) HM
41Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Pineville #3
Farmers from the north side of the Red River parked their wagons at Jessie Johnston's General Merchandise and Wagon Lot before they caught the ferry to Alexandria. 1905: Albert Rush and Jesse M. Kees purchased the store and continued to operate at . . . — Map (db m129573) HM
42Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Pineville #4
In earlier days, businesses were often located in or adjacent to the owner's home. Such was the case when Mary Lawrence served as post master in the family store located on one side of her home. The general merchandise was owned by Rollo Lawrence, . . . — Map (db m116871) HM
43Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Pineville River Front Trail
City of AlexandriaThe first merchant to locate in what is now Alexandria was Edmund Murphy, Irish trader, who opened a trading post where Bayou Rapides meets the Red River. He later received a land grant where the city of Pineveille now stands. . . . — Map (db m116055) HM
44Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Rapides Cemetery1792-1964
. . . — Map (db m136204) HM
45Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Red Hill
Red Hill, as the block is called by local citizens, for many years was filled with muddy ruts. In 1867 Congress authorized large stones to be placed on the street between the ferry and the National Cemetery, but the street had fallen into such . . . — Map (db m116873) HM
46Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — State Seminary of Learning and Military Academy
Provided for by Constitution of 1845 with funds from fed. land grants. Opened, 1860; closed during Civil War; reopened, 1865. Burned 1869; moved to Institute for Deaf, Dumb, and Blind, Baton Rouge. Became Louisiana State University, 1870. — Map (db m110942) HM
47Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Superintendent William T. Sherman
Louisiana acquired the land on this site as the location of the Seminary of Learning of the State of Louisiana in 1853. George Mason Graham from nearby Bayou Rapides chaired the Board of Trustees appointed to construct a building and determine the . . . — Map (db m136033) HM
48Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — The Dam Works
The Lexington is freed By May 8, the water level had risen five feet four inches, allowing the lighter draft gunboats, the Fort Hindman, Neosho, and Osage, to cross the upper rapids and wait behind the dams. Fearing that . . . — Map (db m38534) HM
49Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — The Foot of Red Hill
1923: The foot of Red Hill was the site of the cyclone , April 4, that destroyed much of Pineville from the bottom of the hill to the banks of the Red River. Harry Morris, owner, saw his store leveled by the cyclone. Dee Brady Plumbing later . . . — Map (db m116868) HM
50Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — The Jewish Cemetery
The earliest known Jewish settler in the Alexandria-Pineville area was Henry Michael Hyams, whose name appears in the 1830 census. The earliest grave marker identifiable on this site tells that Augusta Bernstein, daughter of Samuel Bernstein, was . . . — Map (db m38329) HM
51Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — The Red River CampaignMarch 1864
"I trust some future historian will treat this matter as it deserves to be treated, because it is a subject in which the whole country should feel an interest..." Rear Admiral David D. Porter May 16, 1864 Assembling the Troops In March . . . — Map (db m38368) HM
52Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — The Seminary BuildingOld LSU Site — Louisiana State Seminary of Learning & Military Academy —
Location The site selected for the location of the Seminary building was on a hill in an opening of the pine woods north of the Red River, within four miles of the city of Alexandria, Louisiana.Building Description The main building . . . — Map (db m111163) HM
53Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — This Stone Was A Part Of The 1st LA. Seminary
This Stone Was A Part Of The 1st LA. Seminary Built A.D. 1859 And marks the original site Destroyed by fire in 1869 Placed by The Colonial Dames Of Alexandria June 1926 — Map (db m110805) HM
54Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Welcome to Fort Buhlow
Welcome to Fort Buhlow. This was a Confederate Civil War fort built in 1864. It was an earthwork fort constructed with a ditch around it. You may notice that the fort was built on a hill overlooking the Red River. This was a strategic location . . . — Map (db m147024) HM
55Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Who was Fort Buhlow named after?Who built the fort?
Fort Buhlow is named after Lieutenant Alphonse Buhlow. Buhlow entered the Confederate Army on August 18, 1861 as a private in the 11th Louisiana Infantry Regiment. He was transferred to the Trans-Mississippi Department as a lieutenant where he . . . — Map (db m148005) HM
56Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Who was stationed at Fort Buhlow?How did they live?
General Kirby Smith organized five artillery batteries called the Siege Train Battalion to be posted at Fort Buhlow and Fort Randolph. In mid-December 1864, Major Richard M. Venable arrived at the forts. He had trained as an artillery and engineer . . . — Map (db m147588) HM
57Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Why Was Fort Buhlow Built?Was there another fort nearby?
Why was Fort Buhlow built? Fort Buhlow was built in response to rumors that the Union Army was going to attack the Red River in the spring of 1865. General Edmund Kirby Smith, commander of the Confederate Trans-Mississippi Department, saw that . . . — Map (db m147326) HM
 
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 24, 2020