Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Rockville, Maryland Historical Markers

 
Out of Robb's Window Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tom Fuchs, January 7, 2006
Out of Robb's Window Marker
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — “Out of Robb’s Window, Montgomery County Courthouse.”
Architect Benjamin Latrobe came to “Montgomery Court House” in 1811 hoping that the fresh air would help his ailing young son recover his health. He stayed at Adam Robb’s tavern that may have been located on Lot 4 on Jefferson Street . . . — Map (db m92) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 1803 Plan of Rockville and Boundary Stone
Rockville began when Owen's Ordinary, an inn and tavern, was established in this area around 1750. It functioned as the seat of lower Frederick County and in 1776 became the seat of Montgomery County when it was created. In 1784, William P. Williams . . . — Map (db m63) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 1891 Red Brick Courthouse
Montgomery County's third courthouse. Built in 1891 the "Old Red Brick Courthouse" has become the symbol and architectural monument of old Rockville. Designated a historic building on July 19, 1965 by the Montgomery County Historical Society, Inc. — Map (db m37578) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 17 — Baseball FieldNorth Washington and Hungerford Drive — SITE #17
The practice field for Rockville's African American baseball team was located between North Washington Street and present-day Hungerford Drive. The team played around the county and in Washington, D.C. from the early 1900s through the . . . — Map (db m102121) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Beall-Dawson HouseSlavery in Rockville
Gettysburg Campaign In April 1862, Congress abolished slavery in Washington, D.C. District slaveholders were eligible for monetary compensation when they manumitted (freed) their slaves. Because the Beall sisters held several slaves who worked . . . — Map (db m5416) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 7 — Beall-Dawson House100 West Montgomery Avenue — Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
Upton Beall, wealthy landowner and Clerk of Court, owned 25 slaves when he died in 1827. After Upton Beall died, his family did not purchase additional slaves, however, by 1860 the Beall family owned 52 slaves. The Beall family did not sell . . . — Map (db m43630) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Beall-Dawson House and Park
The Beall-Dawson property originally extended from Montgomery Avenue west to Forest Avenue and north to Martins Lane. The house was built in 1815 by Upton Beall, Clerk of the Montgomery County Court. It is a 2 1/2 story brick Federal-style home . . . — Map (db m224) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Boundary Stone
This stone, dated 1803 and located on this site, marked the southeast corner of the original town of Rockville. The letters "B.R." on its face stand for "Beginning of Rockville" — Map (db m77540) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Christ Episcopal Church
The first Episcopal church in or near Rockville was built in 1739 on a two-acre parcel of land, part of which is now the Rockville Cemetery. It was constructed of clapboards and logs and was called both the "Chapel of Ease" and Rock Creek Chapel. . . . — Map (db m91) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Christ Episcopal ChurchVestrymen Arrested — Gettysburg Campaign
Early Sunday morning, June 28, 1863, 5,000 of Confederate Gen J.E.B. Stuart's cavarlymen rode into Rockville and arrested Union supporters. They sought merchant John H. Higgins at his home, but he had already left for Christ Episcopal Church (across . . . — Map (db m37574) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 15 — Clinton A.M.E. Zion ChurchSouthwest corner of North Washington Street and Beall Avenue — Site #15
In 1867, several of Rockville's African American families left Jerusalem Methodist Episcopal Church to start the African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Zion Church under the leadership of Reverend Charles Pipkins. In 1890, Pipkins and his . . . — Map (db m101921) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Court House Square"Burning with Enthusiasm" — Gettysburg Campaign
Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and an estimated 5,000 cavalrymen arrived in Rockville, the Montgomery County seat, on June 28, 1863, to a boisterous reception. One soldier described “a spectacle which was truly pleasing . . . It was Sunday, . . . — Map (db m65) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 4 — Dr. James Anderson House100 South Washington Street — Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
Long before the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863, some enslaved people freed themselves by escaping to Canada. In 1856, Alfred Homer walked and ran more than 500 miles from this site to freedom, despite the dangers of the Fugitive Slave Law. . . . — Map (db m43557) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Dr. Thomas Sprigg Wootton(C. 1740-1789)
A local resident, member of Maryland's first Constitutional Convention and first speaker of the Maryland House of Delegates, Wootton introduced a bill to divide Frederick County into three jurisdictions. The bill passed on September 6, 1776, . . . — Map (db m81911) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 16 — Father Divine BirthplaceMiddle Lane — Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
Father Divine was an influential and charismatic religious leader and founder of the International Peace Mission Movement. Father Divine was born in 1879 on Middle Lane as George Baker, Jr. and attended the Rockville and Jerusalem M.E. Church. . . . — Map (db m43491) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 10 — Galilean Temple200 North Washington Street — Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
This was once a vital center of the African American community in Rockville: the Eureka Tabernacle Number 29 of the Order of the Galilean Fisherman.

Established in 1903, the Temple allowed Rockville's African American residents to work together . . . — Map (db m43567) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — George Washington Carver Junior CollegeEstablished 1950-51
Carver was the first accredited two-year junior college conducted under County Board of Education for post-secondary education of Negro students in Montgomery County. At the time, Lincoln High School, located in a historic black community in . . . — Map (db m106396) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion & Retreat
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m73) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 2 — Gibbs v. Broome, et al/1931 Courthouse27 Courthouse Square — Rockville’s African American Heritage Walking Tour
Should you receive the same pay for doing the same work? William B. Gibbs, teacher and principal of the Rockville Colored Elementary School, thought so, but he had to take the issue to court. African American teachers had to meet the same . . . — Map (db m43474) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Glenview Mansion
. . . — Map (db m7718) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 9 — Hebron House and Print Shop11 Wood Lane — Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
For over fifty years, Celestine and Jesse Hebron operated one of the most successful printing businesses in the county in this handcrafted building. Jesse Hebron started his printing business on Falls Road in 1932. After serving in World War II . . . — Map (db m43568) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Higgins HouseArresting Civilians
Early Sunday morning, June 28, 1863, Confederate cavalrymen arrived at merchant John Higgins' house to arrest him, but he had already left for Christ Episcopal Church. Instead they captured Eblen, a 17 year-old Union soldier recuperating here. When . . . — Map (db m102790) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 5 — Hungerford TavernWest Jefferson and South Washington Street — Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
Hungerford Tavern was most likely operated by the tavern owner's African American slaves. African American slaves traveling with their masters were expected to care for them if they became too rowdy or drunk at taverns. A meeting place for . . . — Map (db m43560) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Hungerford TavernLost Rockville -- 1801 to 1850
Hungerford Tavern was the site of some of the most important events in the history of Montgomery County. Three [illegible] prior to the Continental Congress in 1774, local citizens met at Hungerford Tavern to protest oppressive actions of the . . . — Map (db m56262) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Hungerford Tavern SiteJune 11, 1774
On above date aroused Patriots resolved that every lawful means be used to procure relief from oppressions of the English Parliament and that the most effectual way to secure American Freedom would be to break off all commerce with Great Britain. . . . — Map (db m66403) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Jeremiah Crabbe(1760–1800)
Near this spot lived and lies buried Jeremiah Crabbe (1760–1800), Officer, 4th Battalion, Continental Army during the Revolutionary War; Brigadier General of Maryland Militia, 1794; member of 4th United States Congress, 1795–96. — Map (db m20931) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 8 — Jerusalem - Mount Pleasant Church and Parsonage21 & 17 Wood Lane — Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
Racial tensions between African American and white church members peaked immediately before the Civil War. Pro-slavery parishioners joined the M. E. Church South in 1863. By 1868 the predominately African American M. E. Church North owned this . . . — Map (db m32146) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — John C. Brown Memorial Bridge
The John C. Brown (Corp’l U. S. Army) Memorial Bridge dedicated August 26, 1950, to the memory of the first Maryland soldier killed in action in Korea

June 30, 1950. — Map (db m90) HM

Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Lucy Simpson's Rockville Institute
1887 Original home of Lucy Simpson's Rockville Institute a private school known as the “Little Red Hut” ——— • ——— Owned by the Darby family from 1914 - 1979. Restored and renovated . . . — Map (db m102789) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock and His Men
To commemorate the encampment in Maryland of Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock and his men at Owen's Ordinary, now Rockville, April 20, 1755. This stone is placed by the Janet Montgomery Chapter, Daughters of he American Revolution, Mrs. Morris L. Croxall, . . . — Map (db m77) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Montgomery Avenue and Washington Street
Rockville grew from a convenient crossroads meeting place in the 1750s to become the legal and market center of the county. The tiny village was selected as the seat of local government in 1776 for its central location and the presence of taverns . . . — Map (db m43473) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Montgomery County Court House
There have been four court houses in Rockville since it was established as the County seat in 1776. Court was originally held at Hungerford Tavern. A frame court house existed in the late 18th century but was sufficiently outgrown by 1810 to . . . — Map (db m101964) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Montgomery County Jail
In 1777, seven commissioners were appointed to purchase a plot of land not exceeding four acres, for building a court house and prison for Montgomery County. In 1777, both court and jail were located in the former Hungerford Tavern on South . . . — Map (db m330) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 11 — Mr. T’s200 North Washington Street — Rockville’s African American Heritage Walking Tour
After being made to wait while five white patrons who came in after him were served, George “T.” Johnson opened Mr. T’s as a store catering to African American clientele. Taverns in Rockville were the only businesses that were . . . — Map (db m32141) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — North Adams Street and Middle Lane Residential Area
The area at North Adams Street and Middle Lane has four of the oldest surviving Rockville homes: 101, 106, and 5 North Adams, and the Beall-Dawson House. The 1793 portion of the house at 5 North Adams is probably the oldest structure in . . . — Map (db m81) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Preserving a Community ResourceRockville's Pumphouse
In 1896, after the election of Mayor Joseph Reading on the Water Works ticket, the Mayor and Council of Rockville approved plans and specifications for a waterworks and electric light plant. The plant was intended to supplement and eventually . . . — Map (db m109686) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Prettyman HouseConfederates in Rockville — Gettysburg Campaign
From his home, E. Barrett Prettyman, a prominent Rockville citizen and educator, watched approximately 5,000 Confederate cavalrymen ride into Rockville in three columns on Sunday, June 28, 1863. Like many other Montgomery County residents, Prettyman . . . — Map (db m37575) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 6 — Prettyman House104 West Jefferson Street — Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
For many African Americans emancipation from slavery meant transitioning from a household slave to a paid domestic servant.

The Johnson-Prettyman family lived in this 1841 house for five generations. During their ownership they transitioned . . . — Map (db m56261) HM

Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 1 — Red Brick Courthouse29 Courthouse Square — Rockville’s African American Heritage Walking Tour
After the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln and Congress created the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands to aid newly freed African Americans. By the time it closed in 1872, the Bureau had provided assistance to four million former slaves . . . — Map (db m43471) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Richard Montgomery1738 - 1775
Born in Ireland; served in the British Army in the French & Indian War. Joined the American Revolution as the most experienced general in the Continental Army. Led the invasion of Canada where he was killed in the Battle of Quebec, becoming the . . . — Map (db m50480) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville
Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's Confederate Cavalry occupied Rockville June 28, 1863, and captured 150 U.S. wagons along the Washington Road. From here they marched to Gettysburg. In July, 1864, Gen. Jubal Early passed through Rockville on his way to and from . . . — Map (db m59) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville
County seat of Montgomery (formerly part of Frederick) County. Made the county seat in 1776. Created a town by act of assembly 1801. Site of Hungerford Tavern where in 1774 resolution of sympathy for Boston was adopted and severance of trade with . . . — Map (db m60) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville Academy
In 1805, the Maryland General Assembly appointed a commission to raise money for a school lot and a fire engine for Rockville. The Rockville Academy was chartered and authorized to hire teachers in 1809. In 1812 and 1813, a number of lots were . . . — Map (db m94) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville Baptist Church and Cemetery
In 1823, the deacons of the Bethel Baptist Church church acquired a half-acre lot at this site to erect a church and provide a burial ground. The original church was replaced in 1864, but a half century later, the Baptists demolished it and built a . . . — Map (db m37576) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville Methodist Episcopal Church - Jerusalem/Mount Pleasant
Rockville was an early center of Methodism in Montgomery County. Methodists first met in private homes with occasional visits from a "circuit rider" minister. In 1835, the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church purchased lot 82 of the Original . . . — Map (db m43555) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 9 — Rockville StationPeerless Rockville
1873 Rockville Station Metropolitan Branch Baltimore and Ohio Railroad ──────────────────────── . . . — Map (db m108317) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville Town Square
In 1784 William Prather Williams divided part of his farm into 85 building lots, making “Williamsburgh” the first subdivision in Rockville. § 15 Cemeteries can be found with Rockville's borders. The oldest known burial — . . . — Map (db m102013) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville Town Square
Rockville started in the 1750s as a tiny Village Crossroads. It was called Owens Ordinary, Hungerford's Tavern, Montgomery Court House, Williamsburgh, and finally in 1803 Rockville. § Route 355 began as an Indian path that later became a . . . — Map (db m102370) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville Town Square
General Edward Braddock and his troops camped in Rockville in 1755 on their way to Fort Duquesne during the French and Indian War. § In 1774, local residents passed the Hungerford Resolves in protest against British taxation policy in the . . . — Map (db m102421) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville Town Square
When Montgomery County was created in 1776, the village today known as Rockville was selected as the seat of local government. Since that time, five court houses have been built in Courthouse Square. § Postal Service began in Montgomery . . . — Map (db m102844) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 12 & 14 — Rockville’s First Colored SchoolsRockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
Rockville's First Colored School 246 North Washington Street In March, 1867, twenty African Americans pledged to support a school by taking responsibility for money "as may be necessary to pay the board and washing of the teacher and . . . — Map (db m43556) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville's Pump HouseThe Growth of Rockville's Water and Power Services
The Pump House was built in 1897 under the guidance of Mayor Joseph Reading, the town druggist who was elected on the “Water Works Ticket.” Known as “Rockville Electric Light and Water Works,” it was an important step in the . . . — Map (db m108252) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Saint Mary’s Church
St. Mary’s Church, built in 1817, is the oldest church still in use in Rockville. Rockville was chosen for the church location for its relatively large concentration of Catholics, it central location, and its prominence as the County seat. St. . . . — Map (db m61) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 4 — Saint Mary's Catholic ChurchPeerless Rockville
1817 Historic Saint Mary's Catholic Church and Cemetery Original cost: $4,000.00 Renovations: 1885   │   1929 1889   │   1981 No. 4 — Map (db m108322) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 13 — Snowden Funeral Home
A hearse drawn by four white horses was a hallmark of the Snowden Funeral Home, the first African American-owned funeral home in Montgomery County.

George Russell Snowden started the family business in 1918 in Howard County. In 1926, he brought . . . — Map (db m32143) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Stonestreet Medical MuseumConflicting Loyalties
Of the four presidential candidates in 1860, Abraham Lincoln received only 50 of Montgomery County's 2429 votes. Some of Rockville's 365 residents surrendered government jobs in Washington, refusing to sign the Oath of Loyalty, rather than face . . . — Map (db m102181) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — The Bingham-Brewer House
This two-story Federal structure is significant for its architecture and for its personal associations. The house is one of only two pre-1830 brick structures still intact in Rockville. The front section is 24-feet high and 24-feet wide. It rests . . . — Map (db m226) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — The Confederate Monument
To Our Heroes of Montgomery Co. Maryland That We Through Life May Not Forget to Love The Thin Gray Line Erected A.D. 1913 1861 CSA 1865 — Map (db m106402) WM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — The Prettyman House
This house was built on a 13.5-acre lot on the outskirts of Rockville in 1842. A stone marking the southwest corner of the original 1803 Rockville Plan is between this house and the adjacent Rockville Academy grounds. Matilda Holland, widow of . . . — Map (db m74) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Typhoid in Rockville
During the 1913-1914 holiday season, 28 cases of typhoid fever were reported in Rockville and three people died. The new U.S. Public Health Service investigated, and identified the town's water system as the problem. Contaminated ground water . . . — Map (db m108254) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Veirs Mill
Veirs Mill was built by Samuel Clark Veirs in 1838. It was operated by Veirs and Co., or Veirs and Bros., for 89 years. Known by many as Rock Creek Mills, it drew customers from Rockville and Mitchel's Crossroads (now Wheaton), through a route that . . . — Map (db m78) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Wootton's MillRockville's History in Your Own Backyard
You are standing on the tract of land where Wootton's Mill once stood near Watts Branch stream. The gristmill was constructed and began operations in 1821. The saw and gristmill was powered by an overshot wheel, in which the weight of water . . . — Map (db m108378) HM

62 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement