Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

U.S. Route 66 Historical Markers

 
Adam's Grocery Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, July 8, 2010
Adam's Grocery Marker
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Adam's Grocery
In 1926, the Old Trails Highway was officially designated U.S. Highway 66, and it became the "Main Street of America." In 1984, Williams was the last Route 66 town in America to be bypassed by the interstate highway system. Built in 1907, this . . . — Map (db m33375) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Pollock Building
Built of locally quarried volcanic rock in 1901, this edifice housed a bank and many businesses displaced by the 1901 fire. These included the local newspaper, telegraph office, and eventually Arnold's, a famous Route 66 eatery. In 1928, the Masonic . . . — Map (db m33382) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Williams, Arizona
The area around what now is Williams, Arizona, was first explored by a Mountain Man who came to this area in 1876, William Shirley Williams, who was called “Old Bill”. The town site was created by a cowboy named C.T. Rogers in 1879. . . . — Map (db m48351) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Peach Springs — Historic John Osterman Gas Station
This property was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on March 15, 2012. The John Osterman Gas Station was one of several privately-owned and operated businesses in the town of Peach Springs during the 1920's through the 1950's. . . . — Map (db m58605) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Peach Springs — Historic Peach Springs Trading Post
This property was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on November 21, 2003. The Historic Peach Springs Trading Post, in downtown Peach Springs circa 1932, was an important commercial enterprise for Peach Springs citizens and . . . — Map (db m58607) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Route 66
You are standing near old Route 66. The line of the roadbed and the telephone poles in front of you mark the path of the famous "Main Street of America" as it passed through Petrified Forest National Park. From Chicago to Los Angeles, this heavily . . . — Map (db m68904) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Winslow — Standin' on the Corner Park — Winslow, Arizona
This area was dedicated on September 11, 1999 as a tribute to the memorable song of the 1970's that made Winslow, Arizona a town to sing about on famous Route 66. Route 66 Roadside Attraction Recognized by Hampton Hotels Save-A-Landmark . . . — Map (db m36329) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Winslow — The Winslow Bridge
This date medallion is from the Winslow Bridge that once spanned the Little Colorado River on historic Route 66 just east of Winslow. Because the river had always proved a daunting impediment to travelers, this bridge crossing became a strategic . . . — Map (db m32781) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Ash Fork — Ash Fork — Founded 1882
Ash Fork is located near the 35th Parallel where, in the 1850's the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers began surveying a future railroad route. Camels were imported and used as beasts of burden, adding to the colorful history of the region. A . . . — Map (db m33442) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Ash Fork — Ash Fork Maintenance Camp #1
Built circa 1926-27 by the Arizona Department of Transportation This building constructed of Moenkopi Sandstone, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Ash Fork Camp location was selected because it is a . . . — Map (db m33443) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Ash Fork — Ash Fork, Arizona / The Coming of Route “66”
Ashfork, Arizona Founded 1882 The Coming of Route “66” 1926 Ash Fork was a junction point of the Old Trails (Route 66) and the Grand Canyon – Nogales Highways (US 89), leading to the southern sections of the state. . . . — Map (db m33502) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Duarte — The Trails Restaurant
The Trails Restaurant started small, but vigorous in 1952 on land acquired in unincorporated territory along a two lane road known as Highway 66. A welcome stop for travelers, the steak house earned a reputation for its hefty portions, thick soups, . . . — Map (db m52460) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Amboy — 126 — Amboy and Roy's Cafι
Amboy, settled as early as 1858, became a water stop when the Southern Pacific Railroad laid its tracks through the Cadiz Valley in 1883-84. Following the course of the railroad and the National Old Trails Highway, Route 66 was opened in 1926. Amboy . . . — Map (db m78532) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Amboy — 69 — Old Route 66
Perhaps no other highway in the U.S. is as fabled as old Route 66. It has been immortalized in song, literature, and even a T.V. series as the main street of America. Automobiles came early to the desert, following the railroad with its reliable . . . — Map (db m78574) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Amboy — The Story of Route 66
[ Six panels are mounted on a half-moon base which tell The Story of Route 66 ]. Reading from left to right: [ Panel 1: ] The Story of Route 66 Commissioned in 1926 and soon dubbed "The Mother Road," Route 66 . . . — Map (db m33446) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Barstow — General Beale Uses Camels
In 1857, under orders to survey a wagon road from New Mexico to California, General Edward Beale followed the 35th parallel to paths opened by Francis Aubry and Lt. A.W. Whipple. Beale’s orders required importation of camels and drivers to . . . — Map (db m50561) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Barstow — National Old Trails Hwy/Route 66
In the early 1920’s, an emigration to California started from the Midwest. Families packed up and headed West on National Old Trails Hwy., and proceeded right along Barstow’s Main street. The depression and dust storms of the 1930’s sent families to . . . — Map (db m50530) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Mount Baldy-Wrightwood — 146 — Blue Cut
Cajon Pass, separating the San Bernardino and San Gabriel ranges, has long been an important natural gateway. It is traversed by Indian trails, emigrant routes, railroads, and a superhighway. Early in the nineteenth century it became the southern . . . — Map (db m78515) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Newberry Springs — Bagdad Cafe — Route 66 Roadside Attraction
Originally built in the 1950s, this world-famous restaurant was the location of the 1988 film, "Bagdad Cafe," which became the new name of the restaurant in 1995. — Map (db m52229) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Rancho Cucamonga — Red Hill — City of Rancho Cucamonga Historic Point of Interest
This site sits at the base of the prominent Red Hill Landmark. The early historic importance of the property stems from its proximity to a reliable water source, Cucamonga Creek, and to its location on the major roadway between Los Angeles and San . . . — Map (db m53036) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Victorville — 142 — Emma Jean's
Emma Jean's Holland Burger Cafe a Route 66 icon has been serving up meals to locals and hungry travelers on the highway since 1947. The building was built by Bob and Kate Holland from cinder blocks manufactured at the old fiber tile plant located . . . — Map (db m78518) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Hamel — Truckin Down 66 - Cassens Transport and Hamel — Tourist Haven Resaurant
It Began with Four Cars - Cassens Transport began in 1931 when Albert and Arnold hauld four new cars from Detroit to their father George's dealership in Hamel. By 1941, Cassens had a fleet of 35 car transporters operating from its terminal . . . — Map (db m77706) HM
Illinois (McLean County), Bloomington — Risk of the Road — Bloody 66 and Insurance
Illinois Route 66 was dangerous. Curves, crossroads, and bridge abutments doomed many speeding motorists, giving rise to the nickname, "Bloody 66." After World War II, curves were straightened, towns bypassed, and four lanes built to improve . . . — Map (db m57555) HM
Kansas (Cherokee County), Baxter Springs — Cafι on the Route — Route 66 Roadside Attraction
Built circa 1870, the cafι was formerly the Crowell Bank, which Jesse James robbed in 1876. It is currently a restaurant and bed and breakfast. Recognized by Hampton Hotels Save-A-Landmark program as a site worth seeing. — Map (db m37551) HM
Kansas (Cherokee County), Galena — Galena Chamber of Commerce — Route 66 Roadside Attraction
In 2001, members of the community joined with the Galena Chamber of Commerce to donate a block of the downown Route 66 main street to construct a park for everyone to enjoy. Recognized by Hampton Hotels Save-A-Landmark program as a site worth . . . — Map (db m43047) HM
Kansas (Cherokee County), Galena — Galena, Kansas — US Route 66 Will Rogers Highway — Chicago to Los Angeles
Founded in 1877 Names for the ore it produced, Galena lead mining was the largest industry in our history, starting in 1873 and continuing until 1973. The mining and smelting required 3 railroads, 65 crushers, 2 smelters and 3 sludge mills to . . . — Map (db m43035) HM
Kansas (Cherokee County), Riverton — Boom Towns — Kansas Historic Route 66 Byway

In less than 14 miles, this byway connects 3 towns, each with its own American success story.

The towns that dot Kansas Historic Route 66 were each poised for great success at the time the highway was designated in 1926. Galena was a . . . — Map (db m81118) HM

Kansas (Cherokee County), Riverton — Bridging the American Divide — Kansas Historic Route 66 Byway

When Route 66 first gained federal status in 1926, it traveled over Kansas roads already paved.

At a time when hard-surfaced roads were a rarity in Kansas, Cherokee County was an exception. Prior to the turn of the century, engineers . . . — Map (db m81117) HM

Kansas (Cherokee County), Riverton — Cosmopolitan Corner — Kansas Historic Route 66 Byway

The people of the Cherokee Nation left a lasting legacy to this corner of the State.

The 1836 Treaty of New Echota forced the removal of the Cherokee Nation from lands east of the Mississippi to the new Indian Territory. In addition to . . . — Map (db m81141) HM

Kansas (Cherokee County), Riverton — Crossroads of Kansas — Kansas Historic Route 66 Byway

You stand just miles north of one of Kansas' oldest highways: the Black Dog Hunting Trail.

In order to provide a supply route between seasonal hunting grounds, the indigenous people of the Osage Nation blazed a trail in the first decade . . . — Map (db m81145) HM

Kansas (Cherokee County), Riverton — Land's Legacy — Kansas Historic Route 66 Byway

The waters of the Spring River and its tributaries have shaped this land and its settlement.

The Spring River and the waters that feed it, such as Brush, Shoal and Short Creek, carve their way through this corner of Cherokee County. For . . . — Map (db m81100) HM

Kansas (Cherokee County), Riverton — Marsh Rainbow Arch Bridge
Rainbow Curve Bridge constructed in 1923 over Brush Creek. Only remaining Marsh Arch Bridge on Route 66. Listed on the National Registry March 10, 1983. — Map (db m52060) HM
Missouri (Jasper County), Joplin — Schiffedecker Park — U. S. 66 Will Rogers Highway — Chicago to Los Angeles
picture of Will Rogers Formerly Electric Park (1909-1912), is traced to a multi-acre dairy farm in the 1890's. Charles Schifferdecker acquired the land in the early 1900s. On Nov. 1, 1913 he deeded forty acres to the city of Joplin. . . . — Map (db m24674) HM
Missouri (Jasper County), Joplin — The Connor Hotel — US Route 66 Will Rogers Highway — Chicago to Los Angeles
Joplin's original industries were lead and zinc mining, smelting and associated manufacturing. Joplin became the center of one of the most important mining fields in the world. In 1906 and 1907 the Connor Hotel was built to provide . . . — Map (db m34654) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Rio Puerco Bridge
This Parker through truss located on the historic Route 66 was built in 1933. It was fabricated by the Kansas City Structural Steel Company and erected by F.D. Shufflebarger of Albuquerque. Its 250 foot long length is one of the longest in new . . . — Map (db m88404) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Pecos — Kosloski's Historic Stagecoach Stop and Trading Post
Built in 1810 — Map (db m65857) HM
Oklahoma (Beckham County), Texola — Will Rogers Highway — U.S. 66 Chicago to Los Angeles
June 26, 1952, on this location, Route 66 was rededicated as the Will Rogers Highway. This was one of the many ceremonies that took place on the state lines of Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California as well as Oklahoma, . . . — Map (db m100328) HM
Oklahoma (Craig County), Vinita — U.S. 66 Will Rogers Highway — Chicago to Los Angeles — Main St. of America
Will Rogers formed lifelong ties to Vinita by attending school here, the Worcester Academy, 1889 and the Willie-Hasell College, 1894 and 1895 terms. In 1934, Will returned for a WHC reunion and spoke at Old Settlers Day. He urged friends, . . . — Map (db m67804) HM
Oklahoma (Custer County), Clinton — U.S. 66 — Will Rogers Highway
The Oklahoma Route 66 Museum opened on September 23, 1995. The museum is operated by the Oklahoma Historical Society, and focuses on the history of Route 66. The redevelopment of the museum was funded with federal, state, and private funds, . . . — Map (db m52019) HM
Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Chandler — Phillips 66 Filling Station
In memory of W. L. (Bill) Cheatham who operated a filling station on Route 66 at Warwick, Oklahoma from 1926 until 1978 — Map (db m41801) HM
Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Stroud — Rock Cafe — Route 66 Roadside Attraction
National Register of Historic Places, established in 1939. Built with rock unearthed during the paving of Route 66. — Map (db m41862) HM
Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Stroud — William Alfred Mensch Building — 1922 — Historic US Route 66
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m41792) HM
Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Arcadia — 215 — Route 66
Whether motorists called Route 66 the Ozark Trail, the Will Rogers Highway, Main Street America or the Mother Road, all remember Arcadia's Round Barn. The well-known landmark was built in 1898 by W.H. Odor. After the route was designated a . . . — Map (db m52003) HM
Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Afton — Eagle (D-X) Service Station — Route 66 Roadside Attraction

Opened in the 1930's, the Eagle Service Station served Route 66 travelers for nearly 60 years. — Map (db m81122) HM

Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Miami — Hadley Building

This building, commonly known as the Hadley Building, was constructed in 1904 within Indian Territory, the same year that the Wright Brothers successfully flew an airplane at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina and three years prior to Oklahoma's . . . — Map (db m81103) HM

Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Miami — Historic Route 66 Ribbon Road - Sidewalk Highway — Oklahoma Historic Route 66

Completed in 1922 as Federal Highway Project No. 8. Running 15.46 miles from Miami to Afton. The only remaining 9' section of original pavement on the old Route 66 system, taken out of service in 1937. A National Register of Historic Places . . . — Map (db m81131) HM

Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Miami — Miami, Oklahoma — 1891 --- 75 Years and Growing --- 1966 — Teepees to Towers
Miami: Since her founding in 1891, a chronicle of labor, optimism, growth. Indians: From them her name and her place - a proud, enduring heritage. Agriculture: Crops and cattle nourished her infancy, assured her maturity. . . . — Map (db m35096) HM
Oklahoma (Rogers County), Claremore — Will Rogers — U.S. 66 Will Rogers Highway — Chicago to Los Angeles
Main Street of America Will Rogers launched a journey into international fame, historic greatness and galloping humor along this frontier cattle trail that grew into Route 66 of motorized America. Born on a ranch in 1879 twelve miles NW of . . . — Map (db m67810) HM
Oklahoma (Rogers County), Foyil — 1928 Route 66 Footrace
Andrew Hartley Payne, a 1927 graduate of Foyil, won the 1928 transcontinental footrace, LA-NYC, a 3423.5 mi. world record in 573 hr 4 min & 34 sec. Andy "Greatest Long Distance Runner in History of Competitive Running" won in the 880 & mile . . . — Map (db m67809) HM
Oklahoma (Rogers County), Foyil — Andrew Hartley Payne — (1907 - 1977)
Andrew Hartley Payne (1907 - 1977) won the 1928 Great Transcontinental Footrace, began in Los Angeles 3/4/28, ended 3,422.3 miles later in NYC 5/26/28. Andy, of Cherokee ancestry, graduated from Foyil High School, served 36 years as Clerk of . . . — Map (db m52005) HM
Texas (Gray County), Alanreed — 66 Super Service Station
Texas Old Route 66 Historical Marker Built by Bradley Kiser 1930 then in downtown Alanreed — Map (db m52067) HM
Texas (Gray County), McLean — First Phillips 66 Station — in the State of Texas
First Restored Station on Old Route 66 -------------------- Build and Leased To Phillips in 1929 — Map (db m100357) HM
Texas (Potter County), Amarillo — Cadillac Ranch
Created by Ant Farm Copyright 1974 (Lord Marquez, Michels) All Rights Reserved Stanley Marsh 3, Owner In May 2002, Cadillac Ranch, one of the most recognizable landmarks on Route 66, became the 11th landmark to be restored as part of . . . — Map (db m50369) HM
Texas (Potter County), Amarillo — 4365 — Route 66 in Amarillo
Commonly called the "Main Street of America" and also the "Mother Road," Route 66 became the first paved transcontinental highway in the U.S. spanning from Chicago to Los Angeles, the route in Texas crossed 7 panhandle counties over 177 miles. Route . . . — Map (db m91706) HM
Texas (Wheeler County), Shamrock — 5513 — Tower Building
The distinctive Tower Building was one of many commercial structures erected in the early 1930s along new U.S. Route 66. Designed by Pampa Architect J.C. Berry, the structure was built by local entrepreneur J.M. Tindall in 1936. The Tower Building . . . — Map (db m52016) HM

55 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement