Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Industry & Commerce Historical Markers

 
Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner
Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter Marker
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Harvey Girls / Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter, 1869 - 1958
[Side A:] Harvey Girls In 1883, the Fred Harvey Company hired women to serve in its diners and hotels along the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. Thousands of respectable, intelligent women were recruited from the Midwest and . . . — Map (db m45326) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Hotel Alvarado
Hotel Alvarado was constructed in 1902 and demolished in 1970 in spite of local efforts to preserve it. The hotel and depot complex, shown in this 1908 photograph looking west, was designed by Santa Fe Railroad architect Charles Whittlesey in . . . — Map (db m45446) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Cedar Crest — Ben and Pat Abruzzo
Ben Abruzzo 1930 – Rockford, Illinois Pat Abruzzo 1932 – Rockford, Illinois 1985 – Albuquerque, New Mexico Ben Abruzzo was one of those rare individuals who undertake great enterprises – adventures of the human . . . — Map (db m120091) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — 1633 — Continental Oil Company Station 1
Built circa 1920 Unique example of an early filling station designed in residential Tudor Revival Style. — Map (db m104394) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Patrick Floyd Jarvis GarrettHis Ride to Destiny
In the frontier west, Pat Garrett has to be considered as one of the most famous and effective of legendary law officers. Six feet, five inches tall, he was an imposing and implacable foe of western criminals. An honest and honorable lawman, Garrett . . . — Map (db m73452) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Roswell and the New Deal
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt implemented the “New Deal,” a plan for ending the Great Depression. His economic program was was based on relief, recovery, and reform and included the introduction of the Works Progress Administration . . . — Map (db m104410) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — Roswell’s First General Store and Post Office
Roswell’s first general store and post office stood near this spot. The building was constructed by Van C. Smith in 1870 and hosted a somewhat famous postmaster, Ash Upton, who was a political player in the Lincoln County War and the ghost writer . . . — Map (db m102896) HM
New Mexico (Cibola County), Grants — GrantsPopulation 11,451 Elevation 6500 ft
Located just north of the great lava bed known as the malpais, Grants began as a coaling station for the Santa Fe Railroad. Around 1880 it was known as Grant's Camp, after the Canadian bridge contractor Angus A. Grant. In 1950, the area's vast . . . — Map (db m36473) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Cimarron — The Saint James Hotel
The Saint James Hotel Has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior 1872 — Map (db m45779) HM
New Mexico (Colfax County), Eagle Nest — Elizabethtown
The discovery of gold on Baldy Mountain in 1866 brought such a rush of fortune-seekers to the Moreno Valley that “E-town” became a roaring mining camp almost overnight. Because of water and transportation problems, and a decline in ore . . . — Map (db m45751) HM
New Mexico (De Baca County), Fort Sumner — Lucien Bonaparte Maxwell
A native of Kaskaskia, Ill, a fur trader and trapper who by industry, good fortune and trading became sole owner in 1864 of the largest single tract of land owned by any one individual in the United States. Maxwell founded the First National Bank . . . — Map (db m73719) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Artesia — The Derrick Floor
Dedicated to the men and women who take the risks and do the work to find, produce and refine New Mexico oil and gas. This monument of a 1950s drilling rig is unveiled in celebration of the 80th anniversary of the Illinois #3, the first commercial . . . — Map (db m61445) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Carlsbad — Carlsbad Irrigation Flume
The massive concrete flume in the distance carries water from the Pecos River to irrigate much of the farmland in this area. It is a vital link in an extensive irrigation system which made possible development of the region's agricultural resources. . . . — Map (db m61458) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hanover — Santa Rita Copper Mines
Copper has been mined here since 1804. For five years, development by Francisco Manuel Elguea resulted in some 6,000,000 pounds of copper being transported annually to Mexico City by mule train. Brief periods of activity were halted by Apache . . . — Map (db m38216) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Pinos Altos — Pinos Altos
Once the seat of Grant County, Pinos Altos, survived conflicts with the Apache. A gold discovery in 1860 by three 49ers from California stimulated a boom that led to the establishment of this mining camp which produced over $8,000,000 of gold, . . . — Map (db m38230) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Santa Rita — Santa Rita Copper Mine
Before you is the Santa Rita copper mine, one of the oldest mines in North America. The Santa Rita Mine, of Chino Operations, is owned by Freeport-McMoran Copper and Gold Inc. Chino produces copper and molybdenum. An Industry . . . — Map (db m71523) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Silver City — O.B. McClintock Bank Clock1918
Returned to this, its original location through the generosity of Wells Fargo Bank, successor to the American National Bank, which occupied this corner for 55 years. The Town of Silver City Council Members Mayor Terry Fortneberry Judy . . . — Map (db m38308) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Silver City — Silver CityPopulation 9,887 - Elevation 5,895
Silver City is located in the midst of rich mineral deposits. The Santa Rita Copper Mines, opened in 1805, were the second such mines operating in what is now the U.S. A silver strike in 1870 began the commercial mining for which the area is still . . . — Map (db m38231) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Lordsburg — Shakespeare
Located at the north end of the Pyramid Mountains, near the old stage stop at Mexican Springs, Shakespeare was first known as Pyramid Station. Later named Ralston, a diamond swindle caused its collapse in 1874. The town was revived as Shakespeare in . . . — Map (db m38243) HM
New Mexico (Hidalgo County), Rodeo — Rodeo Station
The El Paso and Southwestern railroad was constructed in 1902 by Phelps, Dodge and Company, to link El Paso, Texas with the copper mines of Bisbee, Arizona. New Mexico Highway 9, the "Border Route", between Columbus and Rodeo, parallels the rail . . . — Map (db m34856) HM
New Mexico (Lea County), Hobbs — Oil and Gas
A completion of the Discovery Well of the Hobbs Pool six miles south, April 12, 1929 focuses attention upon the potential of New Mexico as a major source of oil and natural gas. Steady development under the state conservation program, gradually . . . — Map (db m61424) HM
New Mexico (Lea County), Tatum — Dallas Cash Grocery
Clarence E. (CE) & Mae Dallas opened the Dallas Cash Grocery in 1926 on their ranch (founded in 1910) at Caprock, NM. To keep the store stocked CE & sons often traveled 5 days in a wagon drawn by a team of horses – 2 days to Roswell, one . . . — Map (db m73465) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Corona — Greathouse Station and Tavern
In late November, 1880, William “Billy the Kid” Bonney, David Rudabaugh and William Wilson were hiding out near here at a store and tavern operated by James Greathouse and a partner named Kuch. The night of November 27, they were . . . — Map (db m45908) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Buildings 17 - 20
Originally built by the Army in 1876 as four separate buildings, these adobe structures replaced older laundress quarters attached to the barracks. In 1928, they were joined together to create seven apartments for hospital staff. ‘Four women . . . — Map (db m85351) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Administration BuildingBuilding 9
This building, like most others on the parade ground, was first constructed in 1855 as a single story, stone structure. It included an Adjutant’s office, library, and guard house. Later remodels added a second floor and arched porch. It was known as . . . — Map (db m85802) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — L.G. Murphy Sutler Store
On the site located 100 yards west of this sign resided the L.G. Murphy Sutler Store (the post trader). Begun in 1866 by Lawrence G. Murphy and Emil Fritz (both former Dragoons stationed at Fort Stanton), it was a large, rambling, adobe structure of . . . — Map (db m123794) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Glencoe — John H. TunstallMurder Site
In one of the Lincoln County War’s earliest violent encounters, John H. Tunstall was shot and killed at a nearby site on February 18, 1878. Tunstall’s death set off a series of violent reprisals between his friends, among whom was William . . . — Map (db m46009) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Montano Store
Owned by Montano family, one of first in Lincoln. Operated as a general store by Jose Montano, neutral in Lincoln County War. Its 25 man garrison of McSween men, led by Martin Chaves, were driven out by Col. Dudley and troops in July fight. — Map (db m45972) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Murphy-Dolan Store
Built in 1874, as place of business and residence of L.G. Murphy & Co., a dominant factor in area in 1870's, and headquarters of the Murphy faction during Lincoln County War. Firm failed, and store became county gov't and judicial center for 33 . . . — Map (db m119775) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Old Dolan Home
Built in 1888 by J.J. Dolan, who took part in the L.C. War on the Murphy side, and afterwards was conspicuous in county affairs. In later times the building served as a hotel, the most familiar name being Bonito Inn. — Map (db m45961) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Tunstall-McSween Store
J.H. Tunstall and A. A. McSween erected-1877. A focal point in Lincoln County War in which both partners were slain. Despite looting by Seven Rivers group, building continued as a store under pioneer merchants, notably John M. Penfield. — Map (db m45991) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Ruidoso — Old Dowlin Mill
Part original structure. Famous landmark for 100 years. Originally grist and sawmill. Used as rendezvous by William H. Bonney (Billy, the Kid), Pat Garrett, Johnny Riley, J.J. Pershing (then Lt. at Ft. Stanton) and other historic figures. — Map (db m46014) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Ruidoso Downs — Old Dowlin Mill
Famous New Mexico landmark for over 100 years. Original building still stands and water turns massive water wheel during the summer. Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett and General Pershing visited here. Turn on NM 48, 2.7 miles to west, then proceed 1.4 . . . — Map (db m46011) HM
New Mexico (Mora County), La Cueva — La Cueva Mill — La Cueva National Historic District —
This mill was built in the 1870s by Vicente Romero. In 1851 he established the La Cueva Ranch by purchasing land from several grantees of the Mora Land Grant which had been conceded by Governor Albino Pérez in 1835. According to legend Vicente . . . — Map (db m73281) HM
New Mexico (Mora County), La Cueva — La Cueva National Historic District
This ranching community was established by Vicente Romero in the early 1850s. The grist mill was built in the 1870s. Its proximity to Fort Union and the Santa Fe Trail helped the ranch develop into one of the region’s most important commercial . . . — Map (db m73280) HM
New Mexico (Mora County), Mora — St. Vrain Mill
St. Vrain Mill The St. Vrain Mill is a stone, water-powered, vertical gristmill. The mill (molino de piedra in Spanish) was one of several in the Mora Valley that supplied flour and meal to nearby Fort Union in the mid-1800s. The mill was . . . — Map (db m145867) HM
New Mexico (Quay County), Tucumcari — Yetta Kohn (1843 – 1917)Matriarch, Cattle Rancher and Business Woman
Born in Bavaria and widowed in Las Vegas, New Mexico, Yetta ran the family store and raised four children alone. She later moved to La Cinta on the Canadian River where she opened another store, became postmistress, started a bank and operated a . . . — Map (db m78891) HM
New Mexico (Rio Arriba County), Chama — Old Spanish Trail
In 1829-30, Antonio Armijo traveled from Abiquiú to California to trade for mules, thus extending the Old Spanish Trail and opening it to trade between Santa Fe and Los Angeles. His route turned west, near present-day Abiquiú Dam, to Largo Canyon, . . . — Map (db m125497) HM
New Mexico (Rio Arriba County), Espanola — 1543 — Chimayo Trading Post / Trujillo House
Restored 1939 on site of original 1926 trading post. A Registered Cultural Property State of New Mexico — Map (db m34205) HM
New Mexico (Rio Arriba County), Velarde — VelardeOn the Camino Real
Founded in 1875, this small farming community was named La Jolla. It was once famous for finely woven blankets. Here the Camino Real left the Rio Grande and followed a canyon northeast to Embudo Creek where it began a climb over the mountains to . . . — Map (db m43810) HM
New Mexico (San Juan County), Farmington — Harriet Belle Amsden Sammons (1876-1954)Bank President
Harriet was an astute financial manager and the first female bank president in New Mexico, operating the First National Bank in Farmington from 1922 until 1951. During the Depression she bought out San Juan National Bank, keeping it solvent and . . . — Map (db m59629) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Pecos — Kosloski's Historic Stagecoach Stop and Trading Post
Built in 1810 — Map (db m65857) HM
New Mexico (Sandoval County), San Ysidro — Trinidad Gachupin Medina (ca. 1883-1964)Zia Pueblo
Trinidad Gachupin Medina was the most widely known Zia potter of her time. She was recognized for her large polychrome storage jars. Sponsored by trader Wick Miller, she toured the United States from 1930 to 1946, demonstrating pottery making at . . . — Map (db m32859) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Cerrillos — Welcome to the Cerrillos Hills State Park
… where you will experience the tri-cultural story of New Mexico, a history of the Indians, the Spanish, and the Anglos each altering this landscape in their efforts to obtain turquoise, lead, silver, and more. Indians mined nearby . . . — Map (db m70565) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 17 — 1976 — Commemorative Walkway Park —
Santa Fe, now 366 years old, joined the rest of the United States in celebrating the nation’s 200th birthday. New Mexico and the entire Southwest continued to see tremendous expansion and population growth with the influx of migration from the east. . . . — Map (db m76316) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Gold and Turquoise
(side one) First gold placer mining west of the Mississippi began with the discovery of the precious metal in the rugged Ortiz Mountains south of here in 1828, 21 years before the California gold rush. Since then, the district has . . . — Map (db m45477) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — The Old Spanish Trail
The Old Spanish Trail from Santa Fe to Los Angeles. In the years 1829 to 1848 pack mule trains regularly left the Santa Fe Plaza and northern New Mexico carrying woolen goods produced in New Mexico bound for California. Horses and mules were . . . — Map (db m64852) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Three Wise WomenEva Scott Fenyes, 1849-1930 Leonora Scott Muse Curtin, 1879-1972
(side one) Three generations of one family worked more than 100 years to preserve the cultural heritage of New Mexico. Eva Fenyes created an artistic and photographic record of missions and adobe buildings, and preserved Spanish . . . — Map (db m45481) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Tesuque — Tesuque Rain GodsTesuque Pueblo
Seated clay figurines known as rain gods or "rain catchers" spring from Tesuque Pueblos's deep-rooted figurative pottery tradition. Popularized in the 1880's, Tesuque women made and sold the figurines in a variety of colors and designs, and earned . . . — Map (db m32853) HM
New Mexico (Sierra County), Hillsboro — HillsboroHistoric District
Hillsboro was founded in the 1870’s after gold and silver was discovered in the surrounding Black Range. The town developed into an important mining and ranching center, and served as the Sierra County seat from 1884 to 1939. It was the site of . . . — Map (db m38207) HM
New Mexico (Sierra County), Hillsboro — Sadie Orchard(1860 - 1943)
Arriving in the silver mining boomtown of Kingston in 1886, Sadie Jane Creech Orchard is arguably the most colorful woman in New Mexico history. Sadie opened brothels, worked as a prostitute, built and operated hotels, restaurants, and co-owned and . . . — Map (db m97441) HM
New Mexico (Socorro County), Magdalena — Kelly
Silver was discovered in Kelly around 1866 and the town site was laid out in circa 1879. Kelly boomed with silver mining and eventually zinc mining, becoming one of central New Mexico's most prosperous mining towns. At one time it boasted a . . . — Map (db m38862) HM
New Mexico (Socorro County), Magdalena — Magdalena Livestock Driveway
South across the road lies one of the west's historic "hoof highways" which was used annually from 1885 until 1971. Sheep and cattle were driven to and from the railroad at Magdalena, NM or to Springerville, AZ. The driveway was 5 to 10 miles wide . . . — Map (db m60565) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Dixon — Rio Grande Gaging StationU.S. Geological Survey — Established 1889 —
First Gaging Station established by U.S. Geological Survey — Map (db m45113) HM
New Mexico (Valencia County), Los Lunas — The Luna Mansion
Also known as the Luna-Otero home, it was built for Don Antonio Jose Luna by the Santa Fe Railroad in 1880 in return for a right of way through the family hacienda. Numerous trips through the south inspired the design and style of architecture, . . . — Map (db m49030) HM

55 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 9, 2020