Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

California Historical Landmark Historical Markers

Over 1,000 sites officially designated by the State of California. Note - not all have markers.
586 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 386
 
Pan Am China Clipper Marker and Alameda Naval Air Station Closure Time Capsule image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, March 14, 2010
Pan Am China Clipper Marker and Alameda Naval Air Station Closure Time Capsule
California (Alameda County), Alameda — 968 — Pan Am China Clipper
Pan American World Airways fabled China Clipper (Martin M/130 Flying Boat) left Alameda Marina on November 22, 1935 under the command of Captain Edwin G. Musick. The flight would reach Manila via Honolulu, Midway, Wake, and Guam. The inauguration of . . . — Map (db m100565) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — 908 — Berkeley City Club
The Berkeley City Club, organized in 1927, was one of the area’s earliest attempts by women to social, civic and cultural progress. The building, constructed in 1929, is one of the outstanding works of noted California architect Julia Morgan, whose . . . — Map (db m100562) HM
California (Alameda County), Castro Valley — 776 — Site of First Public School in Castro Valley
This site was part of the original Don Castro Land Grant. In 1866 pioneer settler Josiah Grover Brickell made a land grant of this site for “educational purposes only” and paid the teacher’s salary, who taught children by day, in a one . . . — Map (db m100557) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 642 — Leland Stanford Winery
This winery was founded in 1869 by Leland Stanford, railroad builder, Governor of California, United States Senator, and founder of Stanford University. The vineyard, planted by his brother Josiah Stanford, helped to prove that wines equal to any in . . . — Map (db m100554) HM
California (Alameda County), Fremont — 334 — Mission San José
At the Ohlone Indian village of Oroysom, Padre Fermín Francisco de Lasuén founded this fourteenth of twenty-one Franciscan missions June 11, 1797. Taught by Padre Narciso Durán, the Ohlone Orchestra and Choir became famous. By 1830 almost 2,000 . . . — Map (db m100551) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — 1025 — Honcharenko’s Sanctuary
Along the ridge behind this panel lies a 52-acre parcel of historical significance. This farmstead known as “Ukraina” was the home of Ukrainian patriot, writer, and publisher Father Agapius Honcharenko. He and his wife Albina lived here . . . — Map (db m26499) HM
California (Alameda County), Hayward — The Meek Mansion
Built in 1869 by William Meek, a pioneer of commercial agriculture, the mansion is characteristic of the affluent agricultural society of the Victorian era in California. The estate is on the site of the former Rancho San Lorenzo. This area . . . — Map (db m143641) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 641 — Concannon Vineyard
Here, in 1883, James Concannon founded the Concannon Vineyard. The quality it achieved in sacramental and commercial wines helped establish Livermore Valley as one of America’s select wine growing districts. Grape cuttings from this vineyard were . . . — Map (db m100553) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 586 — Cresta Blanca Winery
Here, Charles A. Wetmore planted his vineyard in 1882. The Cresta Blanca wine he made from its fruit won for California the first international award, the highest honor at the 1889 Paris Exposition, first bringing assurance to California wine . . . — Map (db m100552) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 241 — Robert LivermoreFirst Settler of Livermore Valley
Born in England 1799 – Died Rancho Las Positas 1858. Arrived in Monterey 1822. Married Josefa Higuera y Puentes 1830. Settled on Rancho Las Positas 1835. “Next to the Mission Fathers, he was the first man to engage himself in the . . . — Map (db m100547) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 957 — Wente Bros. Winery
Here the first Wente Vineyards of 47 acres was established by C.H. Wente in 1883. In 1935 his sons, Ernest and Herman, introduced California’s first varietal wine label, Sauvignon Blanc. The efforts of the Wente family have helped to establish the . . . — Map (db m100563) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 694 — Church of St. James the Apostle
This church founded under authority of Bishop Kip, first Episcopal Bishop for California, has given uninterrupted service to this community since June 27, 1858 — Map (db m143394) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 884 — Paramount Theatre
This is a superior rendering of the "Art Deco" or "Moderne" style of movie palace built during the rise of the motion picture industry. The Paramount, which opened on December 16, 1931, is the most ambitious theatre design of architect Timothy L. . . . — Map (db m100560) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 925 — Peralta HaciendaBegun in 1821 — Fruitvale History Tour Site —
The first known inhabitants of Fruitvale were the Ohlone. In 1820 the Spanish crown gave this land to Luis Peralta, making Peralta Hacienda the first non-native settlement in Oakland. From 1820 to 1897, the family had a rancho at this site. . . . — Map (db m28960) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 962 — Site of Blossom Rock Navigation Trees
Until at least 1851, Redwood trees on this site were used as landmarks to avoid striking the treacherous submerged Blossom Rock in San Francisco Bay west of Yerba Buena Island. Although by 1855 the original stems had been logged, today's trees are . . . — Map (db m100564) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 45 — Site of College of CaliforniaOriginal Campus of University of California
University of California, chartered March 23, 1868. Located between Franklin and Harrison, 12th and 14th Streets, from 1869 to 1873, using buildings of former College of California, successor to Contra Costa Academy founded by Henry Durant, June . . . — Map (db m100544) HM
California (Alameda County), Pleasanton — 510 — Alviso AdobeAlviso Adobe Community Park
Built in 1854, the Alviso Adobe is one of the few adobe structures remaining in the Bay Area. Declared a California Historic Landmark in 1954, the building stands relatively unmodified since the 1920s. The adobe was in continuous use from 1854 . . . — Map (db m24616) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 279 — Estudillo Home
Site of the last home of José Joaquin Estudillo, grantee of Rancho San Leandro and his wife, Juana Martínez de Estudillo. It was built about 1850. The family founded San Leandro, built a hotel, and donated several lots, including the original site . . . — Map (db m100549) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 285 — Peralta House
First brick house built in Alameda County. Constructed 1860 by W. R. Toler for Ignacio Peralta, early San Leandro Spanish settler, whose father, Don Luis Maria Peralta, received land grant from Spanish Governor Don Pablo Vicente de Sola, October 20, . . . — Map (db m100550) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 246 — Rancho San Antonio
Governor Pablo de Solá, last Spanish Governor of California, awarded the San Antonio Grant to Don Luis Maria Peralta on August 13, 1820, in recognition of forty years of service. From this point northward the Grant embraced over 43,000 acres. Now . . . — Map (db m100548) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — 824 — San Leandro Oyster Beds
Oysters were the mainstay of the California fishing industry at the turn of the century. Along this site (the original Mulford Canal) the San Leandro oyster beds flourished. In 1892 William Roberts field title to the beds south along San Lorenzo . . . — Map (db m100559) HM
California (Alameda County), Union City — 503 — First County Courthouse
The first court house where Alameda County government began, June 6, 1853. Officials met in two-story wooden building erected by Henry C. Smith and A. M. Church as merchandise store. Seat of government moved to San Leandro in 1856 following vote of . . . — Map (db m28910) HM
California (Alameda County), Union City — 768 — Site of the Nation’s First Successful Beet Sugar Factory
The factory was built in 1870 by E. H. Dyer, “Father of the American Beet Sugar Industry.” Located on a corner of Dyer’s farm, the small factory began processing sugarbeets on November 15, 1870, and produced 293 tons of sugar during its . . . — Map (db m100556) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — 378 — Memorial to Pioneer Odd Fellows
At this point in August 1849, a group of Odd Fellows nearing their goal, the California gold mines, paused in their struggle up these granite walls, to paint on this and adjacent boulders their names and the three links of the Great Order they so . . . — Map (db m100569) HM
California (Alpine County), Kirkwood — 661 — Old Emigrant Road
Here the Old Emigrant Road of 1848 swung down across the meadow now covered by Caples Lake (Twin Lakes) and climbed along the ridge at the right to the gap at the head of the valley. From this summit (9,460 feet) it descended to Placerville. This . . . — Map (db m100570) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — 318 — Ebbetts PassHistorical Landmark
Named after Major John Ebbett and pointed out in 1853 to surveyor G.H. Goodard who referred to it as a “route of great promise – probably the best one for a transcontinental railway.” No emigrant train used this route but a . . . — Map (db m11444) HM
California (Alpine County), Woodfords — 805 — The Pony Express - Woodfords
During the initial five weeks of its operation in 1860, an important remount station of the famous Pony Express was located a few feet from here at Cary’s Barn. This monument erected by the Historical Society of Alpine County. National . . . — Map (db m143520) HM
California (Alpine County), Woodfords — 805 — Woodfords Station
Historic Woodfords Station, the Eastern Sierra gateway to the goldfields of California, way station of the famed Pony Express, and entrance to Carson Pass on the Emigrant Trail to the Sacramento Valley. Beginning in 1849 with the building of the . . . — Map (db m143519) HM
California (Amador County), Fiddletown — 35 — Fiddletown-Oleta
California Historical Landmark —— Fiddletown-Oleta —— Settled in 1849 by a party from Missouri. According to tradition they were always fiddling, especially while waiting for the rainy season—hence the name..... It . . . — Map (db m2539) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — 788 — Daniel Stewart Co. Store
General merchandise store built by Daniel Stewart in 1856. First brick building erected in Ione Valley from nearby Muletown brick. Ione, once known as "Bed-Bug" and "Freeze-Out” was an important supply center on the main road to the Mother . . . — Map (db m100587) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — 30 — Lancha Plana(No. 30 California Historical Landmark)
In 1848, Mexican Settlers from Sonora, Mexico established a camp on the north back of the Mokelumne River and called it Sonora Bar. At the start of the California Gold Rush miners flocked to the Mokelumne River and set up camps and towns along its . . . — Map (db m126094) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — 867 — Preston Castle
The “castle,” built in 1890–1894, is the most significant example of Romanesque Revival architecture in the Mother Lode. It was built to house the Preston School of Industry, established by the State Legislature as a progressive . . . — Map (db m100594) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 786 — Argonaut and Kennedy Mines
Argonaut Mine, discovered 1850, and Kennedy Mine, discovered 1856, played dramatic roles in the economic development of California. They produced $105,268,760 in gold. Kennedy Mine has a vertical shaft of 5,912 feet, the deepest in the United States . . . — Map (db m100586) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 34 — Pioneer Hall
The Order or Native Daughters of the Golden West was organized on these premises The site of the Pioneer Hall on September 1, 1886. This tablet is placed In memory of the founding of the order by Ursula Parlor No. 1, . . . — Map (db m28039) HM
California (Amador County), Kirkwood — 28 — Maiden's Grave
Broken dreams and hope, carried 2000 miles through scorching deserts and over loft mountains. At last...the sight of the promise land. Those of you who visit this grave carry a torch of love and hope (which this young girl lost), and pass it on, to . . . — Map (db m100573) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — 715 — Astronomical Observatory
Here in Volcano in 1860, miner and amateur astronomer George Madeira built California's first astronomical observatory of record and operated it for two years. Using a three inch refractory telescope he studied sun and moon, stars and planets, and . . . — Map (db m100583) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — 715 — Astronomical Observatory
On the knoll behind this marker, George Madiera built the first amateur astronomical observatory of record in California and there discovered the great comet of 1861 with a three-inch refractor telescope. — Map (db m100584) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — 1001 — Chaw Sé Roundhouse
In a village, the roundhouse served as the center of ceremonial and social life. Constructed in 1974, the Chaw Sé roundhouse continues this tradition. With its door facing the east, towards the rising sun, four large oaks are the focal point of this . . . — Map (db m8720) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — 29 — Volcano
[Larger Marker]: Started 1848 by soldiers of Colonel Stevenson’s Regiment. Named by miners because of apparent volcanic appearance. Here the first California rental library, 1850, was established. And one of the first “Little . . . — Map (db m100574) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — 840-2 — Chico Forestry Station and Nursery
In 1888, the State Board of Forestry established an experimental forestry station and nursery, a companion to the Santa Monica Station established in 1887. The two were the first such stations in the nation. Exotic and native trees were tested and . . . — Map (db m100602) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — 313 — Hooker Oak
The massive and majestic Hooker Oak, which occupied this site, was named in honor of renowned British Botanist Sir Joseph Dalton Hooker. The Hooker Oak was acclaimed to be the largest Valley Oak in the world before it fell on May 1, 1977. Age . . . — Map (db m100595) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — 329 — Rancho Del Arroyo Chico
A vast expanse covering 26,000 acres, Rancho Chico was purchased in 1849-50 by John Bidwell. In 1865 he began construction of the mansion nearby, which in time became the social and cultural center of the upper Sacramento Valley. It was through his . . . — Map (db m108748) HM
California (Butte County), Magalia — 771 — The Dogtown Nugget
This marker symbolizes the discovery of the first large gold nugget in California. It was found across this canyon in Willard Gulch April 12, 1859. Weight 54 pounds. — Map (db m29663) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 770 — Chinese Temple
Dedicated in the spring of 1863, this building served as a temple of worship for 10,000 Chinese then living here. Funds for its erection and furnishings were provided by the Emperor and Empress of China and local Chinese labor built the structure. . . . — Map (db m100599) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 1043 — Mother Orange Tree of Butte County
Judge Joseph Lewis planted this Mediterranean Sweet Orange seedling near the toll bridge at Bidwell’s Bar, Butte County, California in 1856. It has survived hard times and is the oldest living orange tree in California. “From its example and . . . — Map (db m143395) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 809 — The Last Yahi Indian
For thousands of years the Yahi Indians roamed the foothills between Mt. Lassen and the Sacramento Valley. Settlement of this region by the white man brought death to the Yahi by gun, by disease, and by hunger. By the turn of the century only a few . . . — Map (db m100601) HM
California (Calaveras County), Altaville — 288 — Altaville Foundry & Machine WorksFounded by J.M. Wooster — Est. 1854 —
Is the site of the longest running continuously operated foundry west of the Mississippi River. All quartz machinery needed for the numerous mines surrounding the Altaville, Angels Camp area was cast here. It was previously known as Altaville . . . — Map (db m13005) HM
California (Calaveras County), Altaville — 735 — Prince-Garibardi Building
This structure was erected in 1852 by B. R. Prince and G. Garibardi for a general merchandise business. Improved in 1857 with living quarters on the second floor, it is still used for living and warehouse purposes. — Map (db m11047) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — 287 — Angels CampHome of the Jumping Frog — Romance - Gold - History —
Founded in 1849 by George Angel, who established a mining camp and trading store 200 feet below this marker. A rich gravel mining area and one of the richest quartz mining sections of the Mother Lode. Production records of over $100 million for . . . — Map (db m14460) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — 734 — Angels Hotel
C.C. Lake erected here a canvas hotel in 1851. It was replaced by a one-story wooden structure, and then by one of stone in 1855, with second story being added in 1857. Here, Samuel Clemens first heard the yarn, which was later to bring him fame as . . . — Map (db m17664) HM
California (Calaveras County), Burson — 254 — Camanche
[Upper Marker:] Named Camanche in 1849 after Camanche, Iowa. Once called Limerick. Peak population 1500. Rich mining at nearby Cat Camp, Poverty Bar, and Sand Hill. Mokelumne River water brought in by Lancha Plana and Poverty Bar ditch. . . . — Map (db m19752) HM
California (Calaveras County), Calaveritas — 255 — Calaveritas
Calaveritas, settled in 1849 by Mexicans, was a flourishing mining town complete with stores, saloons, gambling houses, and fandango halls. Joaquin Murieta is reported to have frequently visited its Fandango Halls and gambling houses. Destroyed by . . . — Map (db m12992) HM
California (Calaveras County), Copperopolis — 296 — CopperopolisThe Town of
With the discovery of copper ore in 1860 by Thomas McCarty and William K. Reed, the town of Copperopolis sprang into existence and soon became the largest producer of copper in the western United States. The population of Copperopolis grew to exceed . . . — Map (db m13004) HM
California (Calaveras County), Jenny Lind — 266 — Jenny Lind
Settled in the 1840’s as a flourishing gold mining, cattle ranching and farming community. — Map (db m13040) HM
California (Calaveras County), Mokelumne Hill — 663 — Calaveras County Courthouse and Leger Hotel
A portion of this building served as the Calaveras County Courthouse from 1852 to 1866, when the county seat was removed to San Andreas. George W. Leger then acquired the court building and made it a part of his adjoining hotel, which has been . . . — Map (db m11537) HM
California (Calaveras County), Mokelumne Hill — 265 — Chili Gulch
Richest placer mining section, extending five miles, in Calaveras County. Received name from Chileans who worked gulch in 1848 and 1849, and scene of the so-called Chilean War. Largest known quartz crystals recovered from mine on south side of gulch. — Map (db m11515) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 275 — Murphys
One of the principal mining communities in Calaveras County, named for the discoverer of gold on the flat in 1849. The objective of many immigrants coming over the Sierras by Ebbetts Pass, Murphys Flat and surrounding mines produced 20,000,000 . . . — Map (db m3887) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 267 — Murphys Hotel
James L. Sperry and John Perry opened the Sperry and Perry Hotel August 20, 1856. In 1881 Henry Atwood and then Harvey Blood owned it. In 1882, the Mitchler family renamed it the Mitchler Hotel. In 1945, the McKimins’ changed its name to Murphys . . . — Map (db m2612) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 267 — Old Sperry HotelThe Mitchler Hotel
This hostelry originally built in 1855 by J. L. Sperry of Sperry Flour fame and his partner John Perry. Among early guests whose names appear on old register are Mark Twain, Horatio Alger, Thomas H. Lipton, Henry Ward Beecher, the Rothchilds General . . . — Map (db m143521) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 465 — Site of Brownsville
A thriving mining camp on rich Pennsylvania Gulch in the 1850’s and 1860’s. Named for Alfred Brown, former owner of Table Mountain Ranch. Laws of Brownsville Mining District provided that each miner could own one wet and one dry claim, not to exceed . . . — Map (db m11501) HM
California (Calaveras County), San Andreas — 258 — Fourth Crossing
Located on the Stockton-Murphy Road at the fourth crossing of the Calaveras River, this early mining settlement, once called Foremans, was famous in the 1850's for its rich placer ores. Later, it became an important stage and freighting depot and . . . — Map (db m11969) HM
California (Calaveras County), West Point — 253 — Sandy Gulch
This site, in 1849, was a trading center for pioneer miners of Northwestern Calaveras County. It was named after the gulch where William and Dan Carsner found large nuggets imbedded in the course sand. Water for mining was brought from the Middle . . . — Map (db m11975) HM
California (Calaveras County), West Point — 268 — West Point
Named by famous scout Kit Carson while searching for pass over Sierras. One emigrant road forked at Big Meadows, and north branch came directly to West Point. A thriving trading post prior to gold discovery. Bret Harte, famous author, lived here for . . . — Map (db m44371) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — 890 — Colusa County Courthouse
Erected in 1861, this Federal/Classic Revival style building is the oldest remaining courthouse in the Sacramento Valley. The “Southern” style reflects the county’s heritage from the Ante-Bellum South and states-rights sympathies during . . . — Map (db m57626) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — 11 — Will Semple Green House
. . . — Map (db m16762) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Crockett — 731 — The Old Homestead
This was the first American home in Crockett. Constructed in 1867 by Thomas Edwards, Sr., on land purchased in 1866 from Judge J.B. Crockett. Located on an earlier Indian village near the Carquinez Straits, its timbers, some of which were brought . . . — Map (db m12153) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Diablo — 905 — Mount Diablo
Mount Diablo, sacred to Native Americans who lived and worshipped there for over 5,000 years became a critical reference point for Spanish explorers in the 18th century, and American trappers and early California settlers in the 19th. In 1851 . . . — Map (db m17541) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — 356 — The Adobe Houses of Victor CastroLate 1830's to 1956
Four hundred feet west of this plaque Victor Ramon Castro 1817 - 1900 built three adobe dwellings, the south one in late 1830's the main one or west one in 1840's the north in late 1840's They with later additions were destroyed by fire April . . . — Map (db m144264) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — 1002-1 — Site of Giant Powder Company
Pt. Pinole is the last site of the Giant Powder Company, the first company in America to produce dynamite. Following devastating explosions at their San Francisco and Berkeley sites, the business moved to this isolated location in 1892. . . . — Map (db m143396) HM
California (Del Norte County), Crescent City — 497 — S.S. Emidio
Nearby are portions of the hull of the General Petroleum Corporation tanker S.S. Emidio, which on December 20, 1941 became the first casualty of the Imperial Japanese Navy's submarine force action on California's Pacific Coast. The ship was attacked . . . — Map (db m143397) HM WM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 748 — The Coloma Road
Here in the Valley of the Cul-lum-mah Indians, James W. Marshall discovered gold on January 24, 1848, in the tailrace of Sutter’s sawmill. The Old Coloma Road, opened in 1847 from Sutter’s Fort to Coloma, was used by Marshall to carry the news of . . . — Map (db m12272) HM
California (El Dorado County), Diamond Springs — 487 — Diamond Springs
This town, settled in 1848, derived its name from its crystal clear springs. Among the richest in this vicinity its diggings produced a 25 pound nugget, one of the largest in El Dorado County. Its most thriving period was in 1851. Later it became a . . . — Map (db m10936) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado — 486 — El Dorado
El Dorado, meaning “The Gilded One”, was first known as Mud Springs from the boggy quagmire the cattle and horses made of a nearby watering place. Originally a important camp along the old Carson Emigrant Trail. By 1849 – 50 it . . . — Map (db m13148) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado — 700 — El Dorado (Mud Springs)
Trading post, emigrant stop, and mining camp of the 1850’s. This became one of the remount stations of the Central Overland Pony Express. Here at the Nevada House on April 13, 1860, pony rider William (Sam) Hamilton changed horses while carrying the . . . — Map (db m11571) HM
California (El Dorado County), El Dorado Hills — 699 — Mormon TavernOverland Pony Express Route - California
At this site on the old Clarksville-White Rock Emigrant Road was Mormon Tavern. Constructed in 1849, this popular stage stop was enlarged and operated by Franklin Winchell in 1851. It became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express and . . . — Map (db m12056) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 484 — Georgetown
Founded August 7, 1849 by George Phipps and party. Nicknamed Growlersburg from the heavy nuggets that “growled” in the miners’ pans. Georgetown was the hub of an immensely rich gold area. After the disastrous fire of 1852 the old town . . . — Map (db m57962) HM
California (El Dorado County), Georgetown — 521 — Greenwood
John Greenwood, a trapper and guide who came to California in 1844, established a here a trading post in 1849. The mining town of Greenwood, which developed during the Gold Rush, boasted a theater, 4 hotels, 14 stores, a brewery, and 4 saloons. . . . — Map (db m10447) HM
California (El Dorado County), Kyburz — 705 — Moore’s (Riverton)
This was the site of a change station of the Pioneer Stage Company in the 1850’s and 1860’s. During 1860-1861, the Central Overland Pony Express maintained here the first pony remount station east of Sportsman’s Hall. — Map (db m57977) HM
California (El Dorado County), Meyers — 708 — Yank’s Station
This was the site of the most eastern remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express in California. Established as a trading post in 1851 by Martin Smith, it became a popular hostelry and stage-stop operated by Ephraim “Yank” . . . — Map (db m433) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pilot Hill — 551 — California’s First Grange Hall
Original Marker - Missing First Replacement Marker - See Photo #2 Pilot Hill Grange No.1, of 29 charter members: Master, F. D. Brown; Secretary, A. J. Bayley; was organized August 10, 1870. The Grange Hall, dedicated at this site . . . — Map (db m11607) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 141 — Hangmans Tree
This city in the days of ’49 was called “Hangtown” This was the site of Elstner’s Hay Yard on which stood the ‘Hangman’s Tree’ where vigilantes executed many men for various crimes. The stump of the tree is under this . . . — Map (db m10504) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 142 — John Mohler StudebakerStudebaker's Shop
1833 - - - 1917 Pioneer – Blacksmith – Soldier Inventor – Builder — Map (db m143494) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 767 — Methodist Episcopal Church
Erected in 1851, Oldest church building in El Dorado County. It originally stood on the corner of Cedar Ravine and Main Street. The Ponderosa Pine beams are hand hewn. First church bell was purchased from the sailing ship . . . — Map (db m143485) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 475 — PlacervilleOriginally Known as “Hangtown” — Incorporated May 13, 1854 —
Established on banks of “Hangtown” Creek as rich mining camp in spring of 1848. Millions in gold were taken from its ravines and hills. Supply center for surrounding mining camps and transportation terminus for famous Comstock Lode. John . . . — Map (db m12732) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 701 — Placerville Pony ExpressStation and Terminus
Gold Rush town and Western Terminus of the Placerville – Carson Road to the Comstock. Placerville was a relay station of the Central Overland Pony Express, April 4, 1860 – June 30, 1861. Here on April 4, 1860 the first east-bound pony . . . — Map (db m57973) HM
California (El Dorado County), Pollock Pines — 704 — Sportsman’s Hall
This was the site of Sportsman’s Hall, also known as Twelve-Mile House. The hotel operated in the late 1850’s and 1860’s by John and James Blair, a stopping place for stages and teams of the comstock. It became a relay station of the Central . . . — Map (db m609) HM
California (El Dorado County), Shingle Springs — 456 — Camp Site of Boston-Newton Party
On this site the Boston-Newton Joint Stock Association encamped on September 26, 1849. The company left Boston April 16 and arrived at Sutter’s Fort September 27. After a remarkable journey across the continent a rich store of written records . . . — Map (db m11568) HM
California (El Dorado County), Skinners — 703 — Pleasant Grove House
This was the site of a popular roadhouse, where the ponies of the Central Overland Pony Express were changed during July 1, 1860 to June 30, 1861. From here the route of the pony riders continued westward to Folsom and eastward through Rescue, Dry . . . — Map (db m10442) HM
California (El Dorado County), Strawberry — 707 — Strawberry Valley House
This popular resort and stopping place for stages and teams of the Comstock, established by Swift and Watson in 1856, became a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express on April 4, 1860. Here on that date division superintendent Bolivar . . . — Map (db m436) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — 344 — Arroyo de Cantua14 Miles
Headquarters of notorious bandit, Joaquin Murieta. Killed here July 25, 1853, by posse of State Rangers, led by Captain Harry Love. Terrorized mining camps and stage operations during his career. — Map (db m20128) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — 344 — Arroyo de Cantua14 Miles
Headquarters of the notorious bandit Joaquin Murieta. Killed here July 25, 1853 by a posse of state rangers led Captain Harry Love. Terrorized mining camps and stage operations during his career. — Map (db m143398) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 916 — Forestiere Underground Gardens
Here, beneath the hot, arid surface of the San Joaquin Valley, Baldasare Forestiere (1879-1946) began in the early 1900's to sculpt a fantastic retreat. Excavating the hardpan by hand, he created a unique complex of underground rooms, passages and . . . — Map (db m41003) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 934 — Fresno Assembly Center
This memorial is dedicated to over 5,000 Americans of Japanese ancestry who were confined at the Fresno Fairgrounds from May to October 1942. This was an early phase of the mass incarceration of over 120,000 Japanese Americans during World War II . . . — Map (db m128363) HM
California (Glenn County), Hamilton City — 831 — William Semple Green1832 – 1905
Arrived via Panama route, San Francisco Oct. 10, 1849 Arrived Colusi County, July 6, 1850 Ferry boat captain, mail carrier, surveyor, editor, writer, legislator, Surveyor General of the United States, California State Treasurer, irrigationist, . . . — Map (db m143420) HM
California (Glenn County), Orland — 345 — The Swift AdobeCalifornia Historical Landmark 345
The first house in Glenn County Built about 1848 by Granville P. Swift A member of the Bear Flag Party, who came to California from Oregon in 1844. The site is 150 yards east on the banks of Hambright Creek. The house was built of clay by . . . — Map (db m143522) HM
California (Humboldt County), Arcata — 783 — Jacoby Building
The basement and first story of the building, at 8th and H streets (opposite), was constructed in 1857 for Augustus Jacoby. For many years it was a principal supply point for the Klamath Trinity mining camp trade. From 1858 through 1864 it . . . — Map (db m143579) HM
California (Humboldt County), Blue Lake — 842 — Arcata and Mad River Rail Road Company
Incorporated December 15, 1854, as the Union Plank Walk, Rail Track, and Wharf Company, the Arcata and Mad River Rail Road is the oldest line on the north coast. Originally using a horse-drawn car, the railroad served as a link between Humboldt Bay . . . — Map (db m113364) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — 477 — Eureka"I Have Found It"
Eureka was founded as a town in 1850 and incorporated as a city in 1874. Located on the remote northwestern coast of California, Eureka was the region's major port of entry by water in the 19th century before the construction of good access by land, . . . — Map (db m113509) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — 154 — Fort Humboldt
By the early 1850's, newly arrived white settlers had moved into the Humboldt Bay area, causing conflict with the native inhabitants. To protect both Indians and settlers, Fort Humboldt was established in 1853 and operated until 1866. It became a . . . — Map (db m19936) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — 882 — Humboldt Harbor Historical District
Captain Jonathan Winship made the first recorded entry into Humboldt Bay by sea in June 1806. Encountered in 1849 by Josiah Gregg’s party. New word of its existence reached San Francisco. By 1850 the Laura Virginia Association had founded Humboldt . . . — Map (db m1555) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — 883 — Ferndale
This pioneer agricultural community, settled in 1852, helped feed the booming population of mid-century San Francisco. Long known as “Cream City,” Ferndale made innovative and lasting contributions to the dairy industry. Local . . . — Map (db m1557) HM
California (Humboldt County), Korbel — 164 — Indian Arrow Tree
Site of treaty between coast and mountain Indian tribes — Map (db m113365) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — 216 — Town of Trinidad
Founded April 8, 1850, Trinidad is the oldest town on the Northern California coast. During the 1850s, it served as a vital supply link between ships anchored at Trinidad Bay and miners in the Klamath, Trinity, Salmon River, and Gold Bluff mines. It . . . — Map (db m1188) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — 838 — Tsurai
Directly below was located the ancient Yurok village of Tsurai. A prehistoric, permanent Indian community, it was first located and described by Captains Bodega and Heceta, June 9-19, 1775. The houses were of hand-split redwood planks, designed for . . . — Map (db m1189) HM
California (Imperial County), Jacumba — 194 — Mountain Springs Station Site
From 1862-70, Peter Larkin and Joe Stancliff used a stone house about a mile north of here as a store from which ox teams pulled wagons up a 30% grade. The San Diego and Fort Yuma Turnpike Co. used the site as a toll road station until 1876. The . . . — Map (db m50232) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 568 — Hernando De Alarcon Expedition - 1540
Alarcon's mission was to provide supplies for Francisco Coronado's expedition in search of the fabled Seven Cities of Cibola. The Spaniards led by Hernando De Alarcon ascended the Colorado River by boat from the Gulf of California past this point, . . . — Map (db m88572) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — 921 — Site of Mission San PedroY San Pablo De Bicuner
To protect the Anza Trail where it forded the Colorado River, the Spanish founded a pueblo and mission nearby on January 7, 1781. Threatened with the loss of their land, the Quechans (Yumas) attacked this strategic settlement on July 17, 1781. The . . . — Map (db m29057) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — 811 — Bishop Creek Battleground
On April 6, 1862, a battle took place around this site between newly arrived citizens of the Owens River Valley and the Paiute and Shoshone Indians, original inhabitants of the land. The reason for this battle is lost in obscurity, but brave men on . . . — Map (db m628) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — 953 — Laws Station
In 1883 the Carson & Colorado Railroad was built between Mound House (Near Carson City, Nevada) through Laws to Keeler, California. A distance of 300 miles. Laws Station was named in honor of Mr. R.J. Laws, Assistant Superintendent of the railroad . . . — Map (db m10333) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — 208 — San Francis Ranch
In 1861, Samuel A. Bishop, his wife and party left Fort Tejon for the Owens Valley driving 650 head of stock. On August 22, Bishop reached a creek later named for him and southwest of this spot, established San Francis Ranch. There a peace treaty . . . — Map (db m627) HM
California (Inyo County), Cartago — 537 — Cottonwood Charcoal Kilns
In June 1873 Colonel Sherman Stevens built a sawmill and flume on Cottonwood Creek high in the Sierras directly west of this spot. The flume connected with the Los Angeles Bullion Road. The lumber from the flume was used for timbering in the mine . . . — Map (db m33877) HM
California (Inyo County), Death Valley — 444 — Bennett-Arcan Long Camp
Near this spot the Bennett-Arcane contingent of the Death Valley '49ers, emigrants from the Middle West, seeking shortcut to California gold fields, were stranded for a month and almost perished from starvation. William Lewis Manley and John Rogers, . . . — Map (db m129290) HM
California (Inyo County), Death Valley National Park — 826 — Old Stovepipe Wells
This waterhole, only one in the sand dune area of Death Valley, was at the junction of two Indian trails. During the bonanza days of Rhyolite and Skidoo it was the only known water source on the cross-valley road. When sand obscured the spot, a . . . — Map (db m94591) HM
California (Inyo County), Furnace Creek — 442 — Death Valley 49ers Gateway
Through this natural gateway the Death Valley Forty-Niners, more than one hundred emigrants from the middle west, seeking a shortcut to gold fields of central California, entered Death Valley in December, 1849. All suffered from thirst and . . . — Map (db m137301) HM
California (Inyo County), Furnace Creek — 773 — Old Harmony Borax Works
On the marsh near this point borax was discovered in 1881 by Aaron Winters who later sold his holdings to W. T. Coleman of San Francisco. In 1882 Coleman built the Harmony Borax Works and commissioned his superintendent J. W. S. Perry, to design . . . — Map (db m123896) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — 349 — Camp Independence
At the request of settlers, Colonel George Evans led a military expedition to this site on July 4, 1862. Hence its name “Independence”. Indian hostilities ceased and the camp closed. War again broke out in 1865 and the camp was . . . — Map (db m2954) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — 850 — Manzanar
In the early part of the World War II, 110,000 persons of Japanese ancestry were interned in relocation centers by Executive Order No. 9066, issued on February 19, 1942. Manzanar, the first of ten such concentration camps, was bounded by . . . — Map (db m122703) HM WM
California (Inyo County), Independence — 223 — Putnam’s Stone Cabin
One hundred thirty feet west of this site, Charles Putnam built the first cabin of permanent habitation in what is now Inyo County in August 1861. The building served as a home, trading post, hospital, and “fort” for early settlers, as . . . — Map (db m2957) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — 507 — Disaster in 1872Grave of 1872 Earthquake Victims
On the date of March 26, 1872, an earthquake of major proportions shook Owens Valley and nearly destroyed the town of Lone Pine. Twenty seven persons were killed. In addition to single burials, 16 of the victims were interred in a common . . . — Map (db m34157) HM
California (Inyo County), Trona — 443 — Valley Wells
In this area, several groups of midwestern emigrants, who had escaped from hazards and privations in Death Valley in 1849, sought to secure water from Searles Lake. When they discovered its salty nature, they turned northward and westward in . . . — Map (db m93441) HM
California (Kern County), Arvin — 371 — Francisco Garces O.F.M
Padre Garcés, first recorded non-Indian to visit this locality, came in April of 1776, seeking a new route from Mexico to California. His epic journey covered more than two thousand miles of uncharted wilderness, opening trails that later became . . . — Map (db m11932) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 382 — Colonel Thomas Baker
California Historical Landmark Colonel Thomas Baker Civil Engineer – Lawyer Farmer – Soldier 1810 – 1872 In 1863 Colonel Baker came to this location. A friend to all travelers. His settlement became known at . . . — Map (db m134436) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 290 — Discovery WellKern River Field — California Historical Landmark —
Oil was discovered at 70 feet in 1899, when Tom Means persuaded Roe Elwood and Frank Wiseman, aided by Jonathan, Bert, Jed, and Ken Elwood, George Wiseman, and John Marlowe, to dig here for oil. On June 1, 1899, 400 feet to the north, Horace and . . . — Map (db m25294) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 137 — Gordons FerryCalifornia Historic Landmark
Gordon’s Ferry was an overhead cable type of ferry operated during the 1850’s by Major Gordon. An adobe station house was located on the south bank of Kern River, just a few yards to the west of this marker. It was also a station on the Butterfield . . . — Map (db m25149) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 588 — Kern River Slough
Just south of this point stood the Butterfield Overland Stage site known as Kern River Slough. Operating through present Kern County during 1858 – 1861. This famous line ran from St. Louis, Missouri to San Francisco until the outbreak of . . . — Map (db m24946) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 539 — Posey Station of Butterfield Overland Mail Lines
Two and one-half miles east of this point stood the Posey Station on the Butterfield Overland Stage route that ran from St. Louis, Missouri through present-day Kern County to San Francisco during 1858-61, until the outbreak of the Civil War. — Map (db m145071) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 278 — Rio de San FelipeCalifornia Historical Landmark
One mile north of here on May 1, 1776, Francisco Garces of the Franciscan Order, crossed Kern River in his search for a shorter route from Sonora, Mexico to Monterey, California. He was the first known explorer to describe this river, which he named . . . — Map (db m24984) HM
California (Kern County), Buttonwillow — 492 — Buttonwillow TreeCalifornia Historical Landmark
A lone tree landmark on an old trans-valley trail. It was an ancient Yokuts Indian meeting place, later a location for white stock rodeos. Miller and Lux established their headquarters and store here about 1885. The town of Buttonwillow takes its . . . — Map (db m50251) HM
California (Kern County), Caliente — 741 — Bealville
Named for Edward F. Beale, this station on the Southern Pacific rail line was established in 1876 as a depot and telegraph office. Service was discontinued in 1943. Beale was Superintendent of California Indian Affairs during the 1850’s. In 1865 he . . . — Map (db m119218) HM
California (Kern County), Cantil — 476 — Desert Spring
This spring was on the old Indian Horsethief Trail and later (1834) Joe Walker Trail. The famished Manly-Jayhawk Death Valley parties (1849-50) were revived here after coming from Indian Wells through Last Chance Canyon. This was also a station on . . . — Map (db m117039) HM
California (Kern County), Fellows — 581 — Midway Field - Well No. 2-6First Gusher — The well which made the Midway Oil Field famous —
Near an area of small 40 and 50 barrel wells, it blew in over the derrick top November 27th, 1909, with a production of 2,000 barrels a day, and started one of the greatest oil booms California ever experienced. “For a long time it . . . — Map (db m130234) HM
California (Kern County), Glennville — 495 — Glennville Adobe
Kern County’s oldest residence. Built before Civil War by Thomas Fitzgerald as trading post at junction of two Indian trails. Present Greenhorn Road follows east – west trail (later McFarlane Toll Road) to Kern River mining districts. Town . . . — Map (db m25032) HM
California (Kern County), Glennville — 672 — Lavers Crossing
In 1854 John C. Reid filed a squatter’s claim on this spot. This same year Kern County’s first school class was held here. In 1859 David Lavers, with his father and brother, John, built a hotel and stage barn on the Old Bull Road. The crossing was . . . — Map (db m25323) HM
California (Kern County), Grapevine — 300 — Rose Station
Wm. B. Rose, in 1875, a mile east; built an adobe stage station on the site of the Overland Mail Way Station established 1858. From 1853 to 1875 site was known as Rancho Canoa (trough). Originally vaquero camp of the Sebastian Indian Reservation. . . . — Map (db m20196) HM
California (Kern County), Grapevine — 133 — Sebastian Indian Reservation
The Sebastian or Tejon Indian Reservation (headquarters 10 miles east of here) was established in 1853 by Gen. Edward Fitzgerald Beale as one of several California Reservations. The number of Indians quartered here varied from 500 to 2000. General . . . — Map (db m108915) HM
California (Kern County), Inyokern — 766 — Freeman Junction
In 1834 explorer Joseph R. Walker passed this junction of Indian trails after discovering nearby Walker Pass. Death Valley 49er parties here diverged west and south after their escape from Death Valley enroute to the California gold fields. Later . . . — Map (db m50244) HM
California (Kern County), Inyokern — 457 — Indian Wells
Indian water hole on Joseph R. Walker trail of 1834 where Manly-Jayhawker parties of 1849 found their first water after five days of travel from Argus Range. During 1860's was site of stage and freight station from Los Angeles to Coso and Cerro . . . — Map (db m50243) HM
California (Kern County), Keene — 1056 — Cesar E. Chavez National MonumentLa Paz — Refuge —
Cesar Chavez, the farmworker who became this nation's most important Latino leader in the 20th century, chose this as his home, office, and final resting place. Here he found spiritual and physical refuge from the conflict and threats faced by . . . — Map (db m140336) HM
California (Kern County), Kernville — 132 — KernvilleCalifornia Historical Landmark
Kernville called Whiskey Flat until 1864, was founded in 1860 when Adam Hamilton, whiskey dealer, moved shop here from more temperate Quartzburg, founded earlier that year. Both camps resulted from the discovery of the Big Blue Ledge by . . . — Map (db m25169) HM
California (Kern County), Lake Isabella — 742 — Campsite of Edward Kern
Near this spot at the confluence of the north and south forks of the Kern River the Theodore Talbot Party of Captain John C. Fremont’s third expedition to the West camped for several weeks during December 1845 and January 1846. The river was named . . . — Map (db m25092) HM
California (Kern County), Lake Isabella — 98 — KeyesvilleCalifornia Historical Landmark
From 1853 until 1870 Keyesville was a center of both placer and quartz gold mining. On the knoll just below the townsite may still be seen the outlines of an earth-work fort, built to meet a possible Indian attack in 1863. The original Keys Mine is . . . — Map (db m143331) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — 283 — Don Pedro Fages
In 1772, Don Pedro Fages, leaving the first written record of explorations in the south San Joaquin Valley, passed this site, traveling from San Diego to San Luis Obispo via Cajón Pass, Mojave Desert, Hughes Lake, Antelope Valley, Tejón Pass, . . . — Map (db m20132) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — 129 — Fort Tejon
This military post was established by the United States Army on June 24, 1854, to suppress stock rustling and for the protection of Indians in the San Joaquin Valley. As regimental headquarters of the First Dragoons, Fort Tejón was an important . . . — Map (db m117523) HM
California (Kern County), Maricopa — 485 — Lakeview Gusher No.1California Historical Landmark
America's most spectacular gusher blew in here on March 14, 1910. Initially 18,000 barrels per day, the flow later reached an uncontrolled peak of 100,000 barrels per day, completely destroying the derrick. This Union Oil Company well produced nine . . . — Map (db m54267) HM
California (Kern County), McKittrick — 504 — Buena Vista RefineryCalifornia Historical Landmark
Eight miles due west of this marker stood one of California's first commercial oil refineries. Between August 1864 and April 1867, approximately 4,000 gallons of illuminating oil produced there was shipped to San Francisco by the Buena Vista . . . — Map (db m78295) HM
California (Kern County), McKittrick — 498 — McKittrick Brea PitCalifornia Historical Landmark
Located one-eigth mile west of here is ancient asphaltum seepage in which hundreds of Pleistocene (15,000 - 50,000 years ago) birds and animals were trapped. Site first explored in 1925 by the University of California, with excavation completed in . . . — Map (db m42707) HM
California (Kern County), Mettler — 291 — Fages-Zalvidea TrailsCalifornia Historical Landmark
In 1772, Don Pedro Fages, first recorded non-Indian to visit the southern San Joaquin Valley, crossed this spot on his way from San Diego to San Luis Obispo. Near this point crossed Father José María de Zalvidea in 1806, while accompanying the Ruiz . . . — Map (db m54266) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — 652 — Mojave 20-Mule Team Borax Terminus
Just west of this point was the Southern Pacific terminus for the Twenty-Mule-Team Borax wagons that operated between Death Valley and Mojave from 1884 to 1889. The route ran from the Harmony Borax Mining Company works, later acquired by the Pacific . . . — Map (db m123891) HM
California (Kern County), Onyx — 99 — Walker's Pass
Discovered by Joseph R. Walker, American trail-blazer who left the San Joaquin Valley through this pass in 1834. This area was traversed by topographer Edward M. Kern, after whom the Kern River was named, while accompanying the Fremont expedition of . . . — Map (db m71071) HM
California (Kern County), Rosamond — 130 — Willow SpringsCalifornia Historical Landmark
Visited by Padre Garces (1776) while following Old Horse Thief Trace later known as Joe Walker Trail. Fremont stopped here (1844). The famished Jayhawk Party (1850) found water here while struggling from Death Valley to Los Angeles. Still later was . . . — Map (db m50248) HM
California (Kern County), Rosamond — 130 — Willow SpringsCalifornia Historical Landmark
Willow Springs was a stage station on the Los Angeles-Havilah Stage Lines, 1864-1874. From here light traffic went through Oak Creek Pass via Tehachapi to Havilah and Kernville; heavy traffic went northwest to the Inyo mines, or via Jawbone Canyon . . . — Map (db m141469) HM
California (Kern County), Shafter — 923 — Site of Gossamer Condor Flight
This plaque at Shafter Airport commemorates the world's first man-powered flight to complete the Kremer Circuit, August 23, 1977. The circuit, a figure eight around two pylons one-half mile apart, was completed in six minutes, twenty-two seconds. . . . — Map (db m131044) HM
California (Kern County), Taft — 374 — Tulamniu Indian Site
The old Yokuts village of Tulamniu was named Buena Vista by Spanish Commander Fages in 1772. (One of first place names in south San Joaquin Valley.) Fr. Zalvidea again recorded the site in 1806. This village was occupied for several centuries. . . . — Map (db m130232) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 643 — "Old Town"
The oldest settlement in Tehachapi Valley, known as 'Old Town,' was established here during the 1860s. It was long an important station on the road between Southern California and the San Joaquin Valley. The community began to decline when residents . . . — Map (db m139964) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 97 — Oak Creek PassCalifornia Historical Landmark
Father Francisco Garces used the Oak Creek Pass in 1776 to return to the Mojave after exploring the San Joaquin Valley, as did Fremont in 1844-45. Until the building of the railroad through the Tehachapi Pass in 1876, Oak Creek Pass was the only . . . — Map (db m50250) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 508 — Tehachapi Loop
From this spot may be seen a portion of the world-renowned “Loop.” It was completed in 1876 under the direction of William Hood, Southern Pacific Railroad Engineer. In gaining elevation around central hill of loop a 4000 foot train will . . . — Map (db m134430) HM
California (Kern County), Woody — 631 — Garcés Baptismal Site
Three miles north of this point was the site of the first recorded Christian baptism in the San Joaquin Valley. On May 3, 1776, Padre Francisco Garcés, earliest white man in this area, baptized an Indian boy whom he called “Muchachito” . . . — Map (db m114468) HM
California (Kings County), Hanford — 245 — Mussel Slough Tragedy
Here on May 11, 1880, during a dispute over land titles between settlers and railroads. A fight broke out during which seven men lost lives -- two deputy U.S. Marshals and five ranchers. Legal struggle over titles finally compromised. — Map (db m40949) HM
California (Kings County), Lemoore — 206 — El Adobe de Los Robles Ranchos
This restored adobe, second oldest in San Joaquin Valley, built by Daniel Rhoades, who came to California in 1846 by overland caravan. Rhoades and his brother, John, among organizers of the first expedition to rescue the Donner party at Donner Lake. . . . — Map (db m66412) HM
California (Lake County), Hidden Valley Lake — 450 — Stone HouseState Historical Marker #450
Oldest building in Lake County. Erected of stone in 1853-4 by Robert Sterling, whose wife was first white woman in Coyote Valley. Rebuilt in 1894. Headquarters of the Guenoc Land Grant and the first store in the valley. — Map (db m16127) HM
California (Lake County), Kelseyville — 426 — Site of First Adobe Home, Lake County
Built by Charles Stone and Andy Kelsey on land purchased from Salvador Vallejo. Constructed by forced Indian labor, causing much resentment and culminating in murder by Indians of both Stone and Kelsey in the fall of 1849. Their remains are beneath . . . — Map (db m121713) HM
California (Lake County), Lakeport — 897 — Lake County Courthouse
Lake County’s century-old classic courthouse, designed by A.P. Pettit in 1871, served as the seat of county government from 1871 until 1968 when it was replaced by the new courthouse. Among the court’s landmark cases were the White Cap murders, a . . . — Map (db m121364) HM
California (Lake County), Middletown — 467 — Old Bull Trail Road and St. Helena Toll Road
The Old Bull Trail Road ran from Napa Valley to Middletown. It was built by volunteers in the 1850’s. A number of grades were 35 percent. It was an official road in 1861 and abandoned in 1868. St. Helena Toll Road also ran from same points. Was . . . — Map (db m11989) HM
California (Lake County), Upper Lake — 427 — Bloody Island (Bo-no-po-ti)
One-fourth mile west is the island called Bo-no-po-ti (Old Island), now Bloody Island. It was a place for native gatherings until May 15, 1850. On that date, a regiment of the 1st Dragoons of the U.S. Cavalry, commanded by Capt. Nathaniel Lyon and . . . — Map (db m1190) HM
California (Lassen County), Bieber — 763 — Lassen Emigrant Trail
Peter Lassen opened the Lassen Emigrant Trail in 1848 when he led a 12-wagon emigrant train from Missouri to California. The route, which passed near this place, was extensively traveled during the years 1848-53 by emigrants seeking gold, adventure, . . . — Map (db m10264) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Peter Lassen Grave
In memory of Peter Lassen the pioneer who was killed by the Indians April 26, 1859 Aged 66 years — Map (db m10261) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — 76 — Roop's Fort
Built in July 1854 by Isaac N. Roop. First called Roop's House, and used as stopping place by emigrant trains. It was the locale of the "sagebrush war" fought in 1863 between Plumas County and Lassen County citizens. — Map (db m10266) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — 678 — Lassen Emigrant Trail
Through this draw passed many covered wagons and gold seekers enroute to California over the Lassen Trail during 1848-1851. Approaching this location from the north, the trail passed what is now Bogard Ranger Station. Proceeding southward to Big . . . — Map (db m22027) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Altadena — 990 — Christmas Tree Lane
The 135 Deodar Cedar trees were planted in 1885 by the Woodbury Family, the founders of Altadena. First organized by F.C. Nash in 1920, the "Mile of Christmas Trees" has been strung with 10,000 lights each holiday season through the efforts of . . . — Map (db m143798) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — 367 — Queen Anne Cottage
Constructed by Elias Jackson ('Lucky') Baldwin in 1881. Designed by A.A. Bennett, and intended for entertaining. There being no kitchen, meals were served from the nearby adobe (built by Hugo Reid in 1839) where Baldwin actually lived. Restored and . . . — Map (db m120308) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — 934 — Santa Anita During World War II
Early in 1942 the US government designated Santa Anita Park for special usage during the war years. Pursuant to Executive Order 9066 signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, from March 30, 1942 until October 27, 1942 the facility was used as . . . — Map (db m128364) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Avalon, Catalina Island — 997 — The Tuna Club of Avalon
The Tuna Club of Avalon marks the birthplace of modern big game sportfishing. In 1898, led by Dr. Charles Frederick Holder, the club's founding members adopted the rules of conduct stressing conservationist ethics and sporting behavior. Today, their . . . — Map (db m49678) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Bell Gardens — 984 — Casa de Rancho San AntonioHenry Gage Mansion
Contained within this building are the remaining portions of an adobe house built by Francisco Salvador Lugo and his son Antonio María Lugo. Francisco Lugo was a prominent early landholder and Antonio served as the Alcalde of Los Angeles. They . . . — Map (db m125567) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Beverly Hills — 665 — Portolá Trail 1769
The expedition of Don Gaspar de Portolá from Mexico passed this way en route to Monterey to begin the Spanish colonization of California. With Captain Don Fernando Rivera y Moncada, Lieutenant Don Pedro Fages, Sergeant José Francisco Ortega, and . . . — Map (db m125155) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Calabasas — 160 — Plummer House
Known as the “Oldest House in Hollywood”, this house was built in the 1870’s by Eugene Raphael Plummer. — Map (db m126802) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canyon Country — 590 — Lang Southern Pacific Station
On September 5, 1876, Charles Crocker, President of the Southern Pacific Company, drove a gold spike here to complete his company's San Joaquin Valley Line, the first rail connection of Los Angeles with San Francisco and Transcontinental lines. — Map (db m122365) HM
California (Los Angeles County), City of Industry — 874 — William Workman Home
Home of pioneer William Workman. Workman and co-owner John Rowland developed the 48,790-acre La Puenta Rancho. Workman and co-leader Rowland organized the first wagon train of permanent eastern settlers which arrived in Southern California on . . . — Map (db m50981) HM
California (Los Angeles County), City of Industry — 874 — Workman Family Cemetery
"El Campo Santo," this region's earliest known private family cemetery, was established in 1850 by William Workman. The miniature Classic Grecian mausoleum was built in 1919 by grandson Walter P. Temple. Included in this cemetery are the remains of . . . — Map (db m50983) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Compton — 152 — Domínguez Ranch House
[The arch way leading to the grounds is flanked by two markers:] Right Marker: Domínguez Ranch House Central portion built in 1826 by Manuel Domínguez. Rancho San Pedro Ten square leagues granted, provisionally . . . — Map (db m64857) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Compton — 718 — First United States Air Meet
About one half mile southeast of this spot, on Dominguez Hill in historic Rancho San Pedro, the first Air Meet in the United States was held during January 10-20, 1910. Subsequently, this area has evolved into one of the world's leading . . . — Map (db m50979) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Compton — 664 — Heritage House
The original house of two rooms was built in 1869 by A.R. Loomis. Other rooms were added by successive occupants. It was marked as the "Oldest House in Compton" in 1955; purchased by the city June 11, 1957; and removed from 209 South Acacia Street . . . — Map (db m50977) HM
California (Los Angeles County), El Monte — 975 — El Monte
El Monte, on the bank of the San Gabriel River, played a significant part in California's early pioneer history. It was first an encampment on the Old Spanish Trail, and extension of the trail from Missouri to Sante Fe. By the 1850's some began to . . . — Map (db m50987) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Encino — 689 — De La Osa AdobeLos Encinos State Historical Monument
This dwelling, built in 1849 by Don Vincente de la Osa, was a favored stopping place for the numerous travelers on El Camino Real. It stands on land that is part of the one-square-league Rancho El Encino granted in 1845 by Governor Pio Pico to three . . . — Map (db m131161) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — 235 — Casa Adobe de San Rafael
Built by Tomás and Maria Sanchez, 1865-1871. Restored by the City of Glendale, 1932. California Historical Landmark No. 235. — Map (db m145352) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — 637 — San Rafael RanchoCatalina Verdugo Adobe
San Rafael Rancho, first granted to José Maria Verdugo, Oct. 20, 1784. Catalina Adobe built about 1828. And, General Andres Pico oak tree camp site, before he surrendered to General John C. Fremont, 1847. — Map (db m128201) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendora — 912 — Glendora Bougainvillea
Planted in 1901 by the R.W. Hamlins, early citrus growers, the Glendora bougainvillea is the largest growth of this exotic plant in the United States. The parent stock was brought to California by a whaling ship about 1870, and the vines survive as . . . — Map (db m127847) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hawthorne — 1041 — Site of the Childhood Home of The Beach Boys
It was here in the home of parents Murry and Audree that Brian, Dennis, and Carl Wilson grew to manhood and developed their musical skills. During Labor Day weekend 1961, they, with cousin Mike Love and friend Al Jardine, gathered here to record a . . . — Map (db m59320) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 554 — Hollywood’s First Major Film Company Studio
One-half of this structure, then in use as a barn, was rented by Cecil B. DeMille as the studio in which was made the first feature-length motion picture in Hollywood, “The Squaw Man”, in 1913. It was originally located at the corner of . . . — Map (db m118836) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Inglewood — 363 — Centinela SpringsAguaje de la Centinela
On this site, bubbling springs once flowed from their source in a deep water basin which has existed continuously since the Pleistocene Era. Prehistoric animals, Indians, and early Inglewood settlers were attracted here by the pure artesian water. . . . — Map (db m126337) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Cañada Flintridge — 717 — The Angeles National Forest
This was the first National Forest in the State of California, second in the United States. Created by proclamation, December 20, 1892, by President Benjamin Harrison. The first name given to the forest was "San Gabriel Timberland Reserve." It was . . . — Map (db m143501) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Verne — 386 — La Casa de Carrion
This house, built in 1868 by Saturnio Carrion, was restored in 1951 by Paul E. Traweek. California Registered Historical Landmark No. 386. — Map (db m127951) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — 658 — Western Hotel
This buiding, erected by the Gilroy family in 1876, this building was purchased in 1902 by George T. Webber, who operated it as the Western Hotel. The Lancaster Chamber of Commerce was organized in its dining room. Between 1905 and 1913, . . . — Map (db m53028) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — 1014 — Long Beach Marine Stadium
Created in 1932 for the rowing events of the Xth Olympiad, the Stadium was the first manmade rowing course in the United States. Its width allowed four teams to race abreast, eliminating additional heats and allowing oarsmen to enter the finals at . . . — Map (db m2614) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — 978 — Rancho Los Cerritos
The 27,000-acre Rancho was once part of an 18th-century Spanish land grant to soldier Manuel Nieto. The Monterey-style adobe was constructed in 1844 and served the Temple and Bixby families as headquarters for large-scale cattle and sheep ranching . . . — Map (db m50988) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 145 — Avila Adobe
This is the oldest existing house in Los Angeles. Built about 1818 by Don Francisco Avila, it was occupied briefly as American headquarters in 1847. Severely damaged in the earthquake of 1971, the house is now restored as an example of California . . . — Map (db m133592) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 656 — Bella Union Hotel Site
Near this spot stood the Bella Union Hotel, long a social and political center. Here, on October 7, 1858, the first Butterfield Overland Mail stage from the East arrived 21 days after leaving St. Louis. Warren Hall was the driver, and Waterman . . . — Map (db m59812) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 1011 — Ennis House
Ennis Brown House - 1924. Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. A master work by America’s foremost architect. — Map (db m126871) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 822 — First Jewish Site in Los Angeles
The Hebrew Benevolent Society of Los Angeles (1854), first charitable organization in the city, acquired this site from the city council by deed of April 9, 1855. This purchase of a sacred burial ground represented the first organized community . . . — Map (db m122688) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 170 — Hancock ParkLa Brea Pits
Presented to The Citizens of Los Angeles County In December 1916 by Captain Allan Hancock With a request that the scientific features be preserved First historic reference to the tar pools Recorded in the diary of . . . — Map (db m126874) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 744 — Historical Site
This block is the site of: First brick school house in Los Angeles known as School No. 1, built 1854-1855; Butterfield Overland Mail Company office and corral, 1858-1861; Office of U.S. Quartermaster, 1861; Corral for camels from Fort Tejon, . . . — Map (db m123038) HM

586 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 386
Paid Advertisement