'Abdu'l-Bahá (1844-1921) visited Cleveland on His historic journeys to Europe and North America to proclaim the message of His Father, Bahá'u'liáh, Prophet-Founder of the Bahá'í Faith. Together they suffered 40 years of imprisonment and exile, which . . . — — Map (db m17950) HM
Automobile entrepeneur. He founded the Winton Motor Carriage Company which sold the first standard model American-made gasoline powered automobile in 1898. It had 2 cylinders and 10 horse power and sold for $1,000. He produced the first American . . . — — Map (db m11930) HM
Briton, industrialist and philanthropist who came to Cleveland in 1848. Formed the Cleveland Provision Company in 1875, Cleveland's largest meat packer. Pioneered meat shipping using refrigerated cars. Built the Rose Building, E. 9th and Prospect, . . . — — Map (db m12116) HM
When radio station WJW disc jockey Alan Freed (1921-1965) used the term "rock and roll" to describe the uptempo black rhythm and blues records he played beginning in 1951, he named a new genre of popular music that appealed to audiences on both . . . — — Map (db m17955) HM
North and South Broadway were originally part of Newburgh Township, organized in 1814 as one of the earliest settlements in Cuyahoga County. The contruction of the Ohio & Erie Canal and later railroads led to industrial and commercial growth, . . . — — Map (db m21073) HM
Opened in July 1862, the 35 1/2-acre site here in Brooklyn Township's University Heights served as the largest Civil War army camp of rendezvous, organization, and training in northeast Ohio. It was bordered by Hershel (now West 5th) and University . . . — — Map (db m17949) HM
First African American mayor of a major metropolitan area from 1967-1971 after serving in the Ohio House for six years. Elected municipal judge in 1983, appointed U.S. ambassador to the Republic of the Seychelles in 1994, first black anchor to . . . — — Map (db m12108) HM
Formed by erosion of Cleveland shale and cascading 48 feet, making it the tallest waterfall in the county, the Cataract Falls of Mill Creek powered the gristmill and sawmill built by William Wheeler Williams and Major Wyatt in 1799. The mills, . . . — — Map (db m21071) HM
Charles Waddell Chesnutt was born in Cleveland on June 30, 1858 and died November 15, 1932. He has been called "The pioneer of the color line" and was an author, crusader for racial and social justice, humanitarian, and forerunner of the Harlem . . . — — Map (db m17649) HM
Distinguished Indian chief
Brave in war ... valiant in peace
Algonquin Nation ... Osaukee Tribe
Born Saukeenuk, IA, 1810
Died Cleveland, 1844
After the Black Hawk War where Joc-O-Sot received the wound that finally caused . . . — — Map (db m17900) HM
The Cleveland Grays were organized by statute in 1837 as an independent volunteer militia company. The Grays were the first company to leave Cleveland for service during the Civil War. In April 1861, they were designated Company E, 1st Ohio . . . — — Map (db m17902) HM
The Theater District, bound by Chester Avenue, Prospect Avenue, East 18th, East 9th and East 12th Streets, came into being at the turn of the 20th century, when Cleveland emerged as a thriving metropolis. Built between 1890-1928, the area hosted a . . . — — Map (db m17951) HM
Colonel Charles Young, cavalryman, military intelligence officer, Huachuca commander, and paragon of honor.
An American Legend
Charles Young was the third black graduate of the United States Military Academy, class of 1889. Young enjoyed a . . . — — Map (db m17236) HM
Oliver Hazard Perry was only 27 when named commander of the Lake Erie Fleet. His combination of determination and tactical brilliance won him acclaim at home and the lasting respect of the British. "More than any other battle of the time," wrote . . . — — Map (db m17868) HM
This monument, dedicated July 4, 1894, honors Cuyahoga County men and women, who performed military and patriotic duties during the Civil War (1861-1865). William J. Gleason (1846-1905), army veteran and local businessman, proposed its creation in . . . — — Map (db m17862) HM
Dear General, We have met the enemy and they are ours. Two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop.
British Naval cannon captured by Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's fleet during the Battle of Lake Erie at Put In Bay, Ohio, September 10th . . . — — Map (db m18039) HM
On October 31, 1963, the actions of Cleveland Police Detective Martin J. McFadden led to a new legal standard allowing police officers in the United States to stop and frisk suspicious persons prior to committing a crime. On that day McFadden had . . . — — Map (db m17952) HM
Dunham Tavern is the oldest building still standing on its original site in the City of Cleveland. Once a stagecoach stop on the old Buffalo-Cleveland-Detroit road (modern Euclid Avenue), the tavern dates from 1824. The structure was built by Rufus . . . — — Map (db m11818) HM
In 1826, when Cleveland's first cemetery closed, Cleveland village trustees paid Leonard Case Sr. one dollar for eight acres of land and dedicated it as the Erie Street Cemetery. Built on what became prime property, the cemetery . . . — — Map (db m102722) HM
The composer of "When Irish Eyes are Smiling", "Mother Machree", "A Little Bit of Heaven" and hundreds of other songs well known today. He also wrote musical scores for Broadway shows. — — Map (db m12119) HM
Frances Payne Bolton (1885-1977) was the first woman from Ohio to serve in the United States Congress. Elected in 1940 to complete the term of her late husband, Chester C. Bolton, Mrs. Bolton represented the 22nd District for 28 years. Her life long . . . — — Map (db m11927) HM
Garrett Augustus Morgan was an African American businessman and prolific inventor of devices that made people's lives safer and more convenient. Born on March 4, 1877 in Claysville, the Black segregated section of Paris, Kentucky, Morgan migrated . . . — — Map (db m17895) HM
Founded the Sherwin-Williams Company, the world's largest paint and sulfa drug base manufacturer in 1866. The company developed reliable ready mixed paint in 1880, the paint roller in 1944 and washable latex paint in 1950. — — Map (db m12095) HM
Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, two Glenville High School students imbued with imagination and talent and passion for science fiction and comics, had dream become reality in 1932. They created Superman, the first of the superheroes ever to see print. . . . — — Map (db m18238) HM
Whose vision, courage, and deep appreciation of building well for tomorrow brought about the creation of Shaker Heights in 1911 and the development of Shaker Square in 1929.
Erected October 6, 1961, by the Shaker Square Association upon the . . . — — Map (db m17814) HM
Teachers and Pupils who lost their lives in the Collinwood School Fire, March 4, 1908
Grace Fiske, Katherine Weiler
Ila Adams, Irene Apari, Adelbert Baldwin, Luretta Baldwin, Glenn Barber, Clayton Bell, George Blurm, Floy . . . — — Map (db m60759) HM
One of the most recognized figures of the Harlem Renaissance, Langston Hughes was born in Joplin, Missouri on February 1, 1902 and moved to Cleveland by the time he was in high school. An avid traveler, he credited his years at Central High School . . . — — Map (db m17648) HM
Financier, philanthropist, founder of the Western Union telegraph company in 1856. First president of Lake View Cemetery Association in 1869, donated land to City of Cleveland for Wade Park and co-founded the Case School of Applied Science in 1880. — — Map (db m12110) HM
John D. Rockefeller, 1839-1937.
Born at Richford, New York, John D. Rockefeller moved to the Cleveland area with his family at age 14. He began his business career as a bookkeeper in 1855. From modest beginnings he became one of the richest . . . — — Map (db m17907) HM
Here was born (October 3, 1869) the man after whom the Heisman Football Trophy is named. The College Football Hall of Fame enshrines him as superior coach. Important pioneer game innovator. Father of: forward pass; center snap; interference on end . . . — — Map (db m17908) HM
Sculptor, state legislator, founder of the Lake View Granite and Monumental Works in 1879. Called the "Father of Little Italy". He helped found the Alta House. While in the Ohio House of Representatives authored the bill making Columbus Day a legal . . . — — Map (db m12107) HM
One of America's most admired women, pioneer television newscaster Dorothy Snell Fuldheim (1893-1989) began her career as a lecturer in the 1920s and entered broadcasting with a biographical series on WTAM radio in Cleveland. In 1947, Fuldheim . . . — — Map (db m17897) HM
Karamu House, Incorporated was established in 1915 as the Playhouse Settlement, one of Cleveland's many settlement houses for migrant and immigrant communities. Initiated by the Men's Club of the Second Presbyterian Church, in 1915 Oberlin College . . . — — Map (db m17771) HM
Elected third national president of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. First Greek letter sorority for African-American Women.
Initiated into Zeta Chapter at Wilberforce University.
Held membership for more than 50 years in Alpha Kappa Alpha. . . . — — Map (db m11931) HM
League Park opened on May 1, 1891, with the legendary Cy Young pitching for the Cleveland Spiders in their win over the Cincinnati Redlegs. The park remained the home of Cleveland's professional baseball and football teams until 1946. In 1920 the . . . — — Map (db m17770) HM
Near this spot, in July 1887, Dr. Albert A. Michelson of Case and Dr. Edward W. Morley of Western Reserve University conducted the world-famous Michelson-Morley experiment, one of the outstanding scientific achievements of the 19th century and a . . . — — Map (db m11849) HM
In conjunction with the 200th year of the United States Navy, the Cleveland Navy Commands commemorate the Battle of Lake Erie as the most significant naval event to ensure the northern boundary of the United States on the eastern Great Lakes. It was . . . — — Map (db m18038) HM
Near this site Fort Huntington was erected by Captain Stanton Sholes' Company May, 1813.
On June 19, 1813, a part of the British flee appeared off the fort but was driven away by a storm and no attack made. General William Henry Harrison and staff . . . — — Map (db m17869) HM
At this site was lock 44, the north terminus of the Ohio and Erie Canal from 1829 to 1872.
Lock 44 as the outlet of the canal into the Cuyahoga River and the first stop in the transportation system which linked the Great Lakes with the Ohio River . . . — — Map (db m17906) HM
Originally designed in 1937 by
A. Donald Gray
A. Donald Gray (1891-1939) was a prominent landscape architect practicing in Cleveland from 1920 to 1939. He maintained his office at Dunham Tavern in the 1930s and was instrumental in preserving . . . — — Map (db m17957) HM
Cleveland Indians shortstop killed by a ball thrown by Yankee pitcher Carl Mays at the New York Polo Grounds. He is the only major league player killed by a pitched ball. Fans paid for his monument with nickles and dimes. — — Map (db m12120) HM
Isaac Campbell Kidd, Sr. was born in Cleveland in 1884. He entered the United States Naval Academy in 1902 and dedicated his life to the Navy. While an ensign, he sailed around the world with the "Great White Fleet" from 1907 to 1909. During the . . . — — Map (db m17956) HM
Freemason, public official, Whig Party activist. Well-known as the genial proprietor of Dunham's Tavern, a popular stagecoach stop on the Buffalo Road (Euclid Avenue) midway between Doan's Corner (East 105th Street) and Public Square. The tavern, . . . — — Map (db m12106) HM
The Sarah Benedict House is a rare survivor of the once fashionable Upper Prospect neighborhood that included "Millionaires Row" on adjacent Euclid Avenue. Sarah Rathbone Benedict had this Queen Anne-inspired house built in 1883, when she was 68, . . . — — Map (db m11821) HM
This is one of several stone gate posts which stood before the buildings of the Middle Family of Shakers near what is now Shaker Boulevard and Lee Road. The post was found under an old cherry tree at that site.
Placed in Shaker Square October 22, . . . — — Map (db m17818) HM
In 1844 the Shakers of North Union, Ohio, built a five-story gristmill on the north side of the Doan Brook Ravine adjacent to this marker. Water from the dam at the west end of the Lower Shaker Lake powered the mill. For many years it served the . . . — — Map (db m11826) HM
Found at the site of the Shaker saw mill foundations on Coventry Road adjacent to Shaker Lake. The saw mill, destroyed by fire, was converted to grain milling in 1886 using this stone from the original Shaker grist mill.
Placed in Shaker Square . . . — — Map (db m11848) HM
Shaker Square, the nation's second oldest planned shopping center was originally developed by the Van Sweringen brothers and opened for business in October, 1929. Currently owned and operated by Shaker Square Ltd., this center was patterned after . . . — — Map (db m17822) HM
Designed by John M. Eisemann and George H. Smith as a big city mercantile center. The five-story galleries connect the ten story towers facing the city's two main thoroughfares. Of unique architectural design and of daring construction, its exterior . . . — — Map (db m17857) HM
In August 1903, architects Daniel H. Burnham, John M. Carrére, and Arnold W. Brunner presented Mayor Tom L. Johnson and the City of Cleveland a plan that epitomized the City Beautiful Movement in America. The Group Plan envisioned a grand landscaped . . . — — Map (db m17954) HM
The Cozad-Bates House is one of the oldest remaining structures in Cleveland's University Circle. The original section, built circa 1853, is the only pre-Civil War residential structure left in the neighborhood. Built by Samuel and Jane Cozad's son, . . . — — Map (db m11850) HM
Oliver and Eliza Hough settled in the area now known as Hough in 1799. Upon their death in 1866, the land was rendered to the residents of the community has has been heretofore known as the Hough area.
Unknowingly to the Hough's that spirit of . . . — — Map (db m18043) HM
Following the national merger of the American Federation of Labor (AFL) and the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO) in 1955, more than 2,000 labor delegates representing one million union members convened at the Cleveland Public Auditorium . . . — — Map (db m17953) HM
Religious worship began on this site in 1820 as a Plan of the Union Sunday School with ministers recruited by the Connecticut Home Missionary Society. Its first stone church, officially known as the First Presbyterian Church of Cleveland, was built . . . — — Map (db m17864) HM
Built 1876 By the Lemuel S. Hart family
Original site 757 Ansel Avenue
The Banks-Baldwin Law Publishing Co.
Oldest legal publisher in America, founded 1804
Moved to current Learning Garden . . . — — Map (db m17979) HM
Union and League
of Romanian Societies
The Union and League of Romanian Societies, Incorporated was formed in 1928 from a unification of two separate fraternal organizations, the Union and the League. The Union, founded on July 4, 1906, was . . . — — Map (db m18100) HM
Named for the streetcar turnaround once located at Euclid Avenue and East 107th Street, University Circle is a 600-acre district that is home to many of Cleveland's major cultural, educational, medical, and service institutions. The area was first . . . — — Map (db m18158) HM
From 1964 to 1971, the WEWS studios were home to Upbeat, one of America's premier music television shows.
From the first TV appearance of Simon & Garfunkel , to the last by Otis Redding, virtually every major rock, soul, jazz, country and pop . . . — — Map (db m17898) HM
[side A] Howard Daniels, who lived from 1815-1863, was a noted architect and landscape gardener. Over the course of his life, he designed six Ohio and New York cemeteries, including Woodland that began in 1852 when he laid out 20 of its 60 . . . — — Map (db m21002) HM