Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Houston, Texas Historical Markers

 
1000 Houstonians Join the Navy Marker image, Touch for more information
By Jim Evans, June 18, 2013
1000 Houstonians Join the Navy Marker
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 1,000 Houstonians Join the Navy
On this site on May 30, 1942, 1,000 Houston volunteers took the oath of service in the United States Navy and dedicated their lives to avenging the cruiser USS Houston and her valiant crew lost in the Battle of the Java Sea — Map (db m66151) HM WM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10654 — Amos B. Edson
Arrived in Texas January 28, 1836, having been recruited in New Orleans for the Army of Texas by Captain Amasa Turner in whose company he served at San Jacinto. Died in Houston, 1837. — Map (db m59589) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13313 — Ancient Order of Pilgrims
After the Civil War, African Americans faced difficulties finding insurance or securing loans. In the 1870s, Jamaican immigrant Henry Cohen Hardy came to Houston, where he was an educator. Hardy established the Ancient Order of Pilgrims in 1882 to . . . — Map (db m62302) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10596 — Annunciation Church
In style of great European churches. The work of the Very Rev. Joseph Querat, a canon of Cathedral of Lyons, France, and missionary to Texas 1852-1878. Begun 1867 when Father Querat (with aid of parishioners) bought old Harris County Courthouse to . . . — Map (db m62375) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Annunciation Church
Second Catholic church in Houston; outgrowth of St. Vincent’s parish, established in 1839. Although founding pastor planned edifice (1867-1874) in style worthy of a cathedral, it never gained that status. Standing near business center, this was . . . — Map (db m62376) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Apollo Mission Control Center
NASA — Johnson Space Center National Historic Landmark Designated by the United States Dept. of the Interior Apollo Mission Control Center Apollo 11 Lunar Landing – July 20, 1969 ( plaque inside the VIP Observation . . . — Map (db m102413) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10598 — Auditorium Hotel
The Auditorium Hotel was built in 1926 for Houston investor Michele DeGeorge (1850-1927), who came to the United States from Italy in 1881. Designed by architect Joseph Finger (1887-1953), the building features Italian renaissance detailing in the . . . — Map (db m62363) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13821 — Augustus Chapman Allen
Augustus Chapman Allen was born to Roland and Sarah (Chapman) Allen in Canaseraga, New York on July 4, 1806. He graduated from the Polytechnic Institute at Chittenango, New York, where he taught mathematics until 1827. That year, he became a . . . — Map (db m59588) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10612 — Bear Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery
German immigrants settled in the area surrounding the junction of Langham and Bear creeks in the 1840s. Settlers traveled to nearby churches for Sunday services until about 1879 when seven charter members established the Bear Creek German Methodist . . . — Map (db m73450) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 12560 — Benjamin Apartments1218 Webster Street
Completed in 1924, this apartment building is a good example of multi-family housing constructed in the south end of downtown Houston after World War I. Successful businessman Benjamin Cohen (1875-1951) hired noted Houston architect Alfred Finn to . . . — Map (db m30199) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 12935 — Blue Triangle Branch, Y.W.C.A. Building
In the early 20th century, Houston's African American community wanted to provide recreational facilities for its youth and for African American troops stationed at Camp Logan. Various groups formed, including two interested in the welfare of young . . . — Map (db m62915) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10621 — Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado RailroadSite of General Offices
Building of a railroad from here to the Brazos, to handle commerce of rich plantations, was attempted unsuccessfully in 1840-41 by early merchant Andrew Briscoe and the Harrises who founded Harrisburg. Their holdings, including Harrisburg townsite, . . . — Map (db m77460) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Camp Logan
Soon after the United States' entrance into World War I in 1917, the U.S. Army established 34 training camps to prepare troops for warfare. Named for General John A. Logan, Mexican War and Civil War veteran and senator from Illinois, Camp Logan was . . . — Map (db m14103) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10632 — Clayton House
Built in 1916-17, this Georgian revival house was the home of William L. Clayton (1880-1966), founder of Anderson, Clayton, & Co., a cotton trading firm. A leader in public service as well as business, Clayton was a principal architect of the . . . — Map (db m63846) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10641 — Courtlandt Place
Platted in 1907 on land once owned by area pioneer Mrs. Obedience Smith, Courtlandt Place was established as a private neighborhood for Houston's elite. Encompassing 15.47 acres of land, it is a showcase of impressive homes designed by some of the . . . — Map (db m62781) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10646 — Daughters of the Republic of Texas
On November 6, 1891, seventeen women met at the home of Mrs. Andrew Briscoe at this site to organize an auxiliary to the Texas Veterans Association. Mrs. Anson Jones was elected president of the new organization, Daughters of the Lone Star Republic. . . . — Map (db m62378) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13820 — Ellington Field
In 1917, during World War I, the Houston Chamber of Commerce lobbied the federal government to establish an air field here. Named for Lt. Eric Lamar Ellington, an Illinois aviator killed in a California plane crash in 1913, it opened in November . . . — Map (db m58470) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10661 — First Presbyterian Church of Houston
Organized March 31 (Easter Sunday), 1839, in Senate Chamber, Capitol of Republic of Texas, Main at Texas, by the Rev. Wm. Youel Allen, missionary from the United States, and eleven members. James Burke was elected ruling elder. Services of worship . . . — Map (db m61430) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10664 — First White House of the Republic of Texas
. . . — Map (db m61060) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10667 — Forum of Civics of River Oaks Garden Club
Built about 1880. Until 1920, the John Smith School. Restored 1927 by Will Hogg. A memorial since 1942 to Will and Mike Hogg. Gardens added 1955. Open to public. — Map (db m63842) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 14042 — Gulf Building
Prominent real estate developer, publisher, statesman and banker Jesse H. Jones opened the Gulf Building in 1929 with Gulf Oil, National Bank of Commerce, and Sakowitz Brothers as primary tenants. Alfred C. Finn designed the 430-foot high Art Deco . . . — Map (db m62751) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10677 — Harris County
Inhabited during the 17th century by Karankawa and Orcoquiza Indians, and considered in 1756 by Spain for site of Presidio de San Agustin de Ahumada, this region was settled permanently in 1822 by the colonists of Stephen F. Austin. In 1824 John R. . . . — Map (db m59557) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Harris County 1910 Courthouse
This site has served as the courthouse square for Harris (originally Harrisburg) County since the completion of the first county courthouse, a two-story frame structure, in April 1838. Later courthouses were constructed on this site in 1851, 1860 . . . — Map (db m61035) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10679 — Harris County Courthouse of 1910
When brothers Augustus C. and John K. Allen founded Houston in 1836, they designated this site as the Courthouse Square. In 1837 Houston became the Harrisburg (later Harris) County Seat, and a two-story pine log courthouse was constructed here. . . . — Map (db m61116) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10684 — Hogg Building
Noted Houston business and civic leader Will C. Hogg (1875-1930) had this commercial structure built in 1921. Early tenants included the Armor Auto Company and the Great Southern Life Insurance Company. The art deco building, designed by the . . . — Map (db m62353) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10685 — Holcombe House
Businessman and developer Oscar Holcombe (1888-1968) and his wife Mary hired Houston architect L.W. Lindsay to design this home. Completed in 1925, it featured gardens designed by landscape architect Herbert L. Skogland. Outstanding features of the . . . — Map (db m59776) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10686 — Holland Lodge No. 1Ancient Free & Accepted Masons of Texas
First Masonic Lodge in Texas. Organized in March 1835 at Brazoria. Set to work Dec. 27, 1835, under dispensation of Grand Lodge of Louisiana, for whose 1835-37 Grand Master, John Henry Holland, this lodge was named. Labors were interrupted in Feb. . . . — Map (db m59774) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10692 — Houston City, Republic of Texas
By vote of Congress, Nov. 30, 1836, chosen temporary capital for new Republic of Texas. At the time a small townsite at the head of Buffalo Bayou navigation. Into a "Houston City" of mud, tents, cabins on April 1, 1837, came President Sam Houston . . . — Map (db m62875) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10693 — Houston Cotton Exchange and Board of Trade
Founded in 1874 to facilitate trade in the expanding cotton market. This Victorian renaissance revival edifice, designed by Eugene T. Heiner, was built in 1884-85 by contractors Max Kosse and James S. Lucas. The exchange room and galleries were . . . — Map (db m59561) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10694 — Houston Fire Station No. 7
Houston's oldest fire house, this building was designed by Olle J. Lorehn (c.1864-1939) and was completed in January 1899. The two-story brick structure features rusticated stone details, a five-bay front with central arched entry flanked by two . . . — Map (db m62757) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13093 — Houston Public Library
Within 10 years of its founding in 1836, Houston was a bustling city. Throughout the 1840s, the city's professionals came together in debating societies to discuss a variety of topics. They created the Houston Circulating Library to provide . . . — Map (db m62370) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — James L. Autry House
Mississippi native James L. Autry (1859-1920) moved to Corsicana in 1876. There he studied law and held civic offices at the time of the first oil discoveries in Texas. He was chief counsel for the Texas Co. (later Texaco) and a pioneer in the new . . . — Map (db m62820) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10593 — John Kirby Allen (1810-1838)Co-founder of Houston
Gravesite of John Kirby Allen (1810-1838) Co-founder of Houston Houston in 1836 was a humid swamp overgrown with sweet gum trees and coffee bean weeds. In this spot, however, two brothers from New York recognized the future "commercial . . . — Map (db m59839) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13888 — Julia Ideson Building
Early efforts by Houston's Lyceum, local women's organizations and Andrew Carnegie's national foundation led to the 1904 Houston Lyceum and Carnegie Library Building. Julia Bedford Ideson, hired in 1903, was the city's first librarian. Under her . . . — Map (db m62371) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13296 — League of United Latin American Citizens, Council 60
On February 17, 1929, representatives from three organizations met in Corpus Christi to merge and form the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC). The new group sought to unify statewide efforts to challenge racism and inequities toward . . . — Map (db m59590) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Little Joe II
The first major flight tests in the Apollo program were performed by the Little Joe II launch vehicle. These unmanned flights tested the command module launch escape system and qualified it for operational use in the Apollo program. The test . . . — Map (db m102718) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13017 — Magnolia Brewery Building
Magnolia Brewery was part of the Houston Ice and Brewing Company, founded in the late 19th century by Hugh Hamilton. Some of the brewery's popular brands included Magnolia, Southern Select and Richelieu beers. This building, designed by H.C. Cooke . . . — Map (db m62368) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Mercury-Redstone
A one-man spacecraft-booster combination like this one propelled the first two American astronauts (Al Shepard and Gus Grissom) into Space in May and July of 1961. Al Shepard's spacecraft reached an altitude of 101 nautical miles in a ballistic arc . . . — Map (db m102720) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10734 — Moore Log House
In 1931-32 Edith L. Moore and her husband built this house of pine logs they cut from their land. The stone fireplace and chimney were built of sandstone curbstones salvaged from downtown Houston. Dairy farming and logging provided their livelihood. . . . — Map (db m51060) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 12976 — Myers-Spalti Manufacturing Plant
The City of Houston developed rapidly in the 19th century due in large part to its capacity for shipping and transportation. This was made possible by waterways, such as Buffalo Bayou, and railroads, five of which radiated from the city in 1861. . . . — Map (db m62835) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10680 — Old Harrisburg
Early Texas port and trading post. Site of state's first steam saw, grist mills and railroad terminal. Town founded, 1826, by John R. Harris, who was first settler in 1823. Became shipping center for early colonies, established when Texas was part . . . — Map (db m62910) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Old Harrisburg
The town was founded in 1836 by John Richardson Harris, a native of New York State and one of the "Old Three Hundred" Texas colonists. He died of yellow fever in 1829, while visiting in New Orleans. His wife, Jane Birdsall Harris, and the oldest of . . . — Map (db m62912) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10724 — Old Market Square
Platted 1836 by surveyors Gail Borden, Jr., and Moses Lapham as "Congress Square." It was intention of city fathers Augustus C. and John K. Allen to have permanent Capitol of Republic of Texas located here. However, this was never realized and . . . — Map (db m61082) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13317 — Origins of Freedman's Town
Located in Houston's Fourth Ward, the original Freedman's Town settlement was founded soon after the emancipation of enslaved blacks on June 19, 1865, at the end of the Civil War in Texas. Positioned west of downtown and directly south of Buffalo . . . — Map (db m59562) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10744 — Pillot Building
The original building at this site, a cast iron front structure, was built between 1857 and 1869. Early tenants of the building, owned by French-born merchant and Houston civic leader Eugene Pillot (1820-1896), included attorneys, real estate . . . — Map (db m61013) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10745 — Pillot House
Built 1868 by Eugene Pillot, at 1803 McKinney. Occupied for almost a century by his family. — Map (db m63311) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Safety Follows Wisdom
Portland Cement Association Safety Trophy Award Trinity Portland Cement Company Houston Texas Plant for a Perfect Safety Record in 1929 Reawarded for a Perfect Safety Record in 1945, 1947, 1959 — Map (db m83582) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15758 — Sam Houston Park
Sam Houston Park began with Nathaniel Kelly Kellum's purchase of 13 acres on the south bank of Buffalo Bayou in 1844 and 1845. Here Kellum built a brick factory, a tannery and his residence. The property was later sold to Zerviah Noble, who held it . . . — Map (db m62253) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Sam Houston Park Monument
Spirit of the Confederacy Erected by the Robert E Lee N. 186 U.D.C. January 1908 To all the heroes of the South that fought for the principles of States rights. Monument Committee Julia H Franklin, Bettie P. Mutcheson, Ella H. Sydnor, Marion S. . . . — Map (db m52944) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10766 — San Felipe Cottage
Oldest surviving house in Houston; built 1837 on land of Mrs. Obedience Smith, an early settler. — Map (db m63322) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10721 — Site of Lubbock Ranch
Texas statesman Francis Richard Lubbock (1815-1905) owned a 1300-acre ranch near this site. A native of South Carolina, Lubbock came to Houston in 1837. He soon opened a general store and was a business, political and civic leader. He served as . . . — Map (db m50142) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10690 — Site of Old Houston Academy
Founded 1856. Lost most of its male students to Confederate army in Civil War. In 1864-1865 building was used as an army hospital. Was site in 1867 for the lying-in-state of body of General Albert Sidney Johnston, who had lived near Houston. (A . . . — Map (db m62755) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10781 — Sons of the Republic of Texas
On April 10, 1893, under the guidance of Francis Marion Otis Fenn, a local lodge was organized in Richmond for the benefit of male descendants of Texas Revolution veterans. The Richmond group traveled to Houston a few days later, and on April 20, . . . — Map (db m62308) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13591 — St. Paul's United Methodist Church
At the beginning of the 20th century, members of Houston’s Methodist community worked toward organizing a new congregation on what was then the burgeoning south end of town. In December 1905, individuals met at the J.O. Ross family home and held . . . — Map (db m61005) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10786 — Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building
This late-Victorian commercial building with a 3-story corner turret and Eastlake decorative elements was designed by George E. Dickey in 1889. Evidence indicates that the 1889 construction may have been a renovation of an 1861 structure built by . . . — Map (db m60989) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 14339 — Temple Beth Israel
Congregation Beth Israel is the oldest Jewish congregation in Texas. Early Jewish families that settled in the area formed the Hebrew Benevolent Society in 1844, under the leadership of Lewis Levy. By 1854, seventeen adults organized themselves into . . . — Map (db m62926) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Texan Capture of Mexican DispatchesThe San Jacinto Campaign in Southwest Harris County
After the fall of the Alamo on March 6, 1836, Gen. Sam Houston led the Texan Army in retreat from Gonzales. The Mexican army under Gen. Santa Anna followed eastward from San Antonio. On April 14, while Houston's army was north of him, Santa Anna led . . . — Map (db m35917) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — The Capture of Santa Anna
This point is the approximate site of the capture of Santa Anna, the president of Mexico, and commander of the Mexican army-by James A. Sylvester, Joel W. Robison, Edward Miles, S.R. Bostick, Joseph Vermillion and Thompson, all soldiers of the Texas . . . — Map (db m60821) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10696 — The Houston Light Guard
Organized as a Texas Militia unit on April 21, 1873, the Houston Light Guard originally participated in parades, ceremonies, and competitive drills, and served as guard of honor for visiting dignitaries. The first commander was Capt. Edwin Fairfax . . . — Map (db m62772) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10712 — The Kennedy Bakery
Irish native John Kennedy (1819-78) came to Houston in 1842. A baker, he operated a store at other locations in the city before commissioning the construction of this building about 1860 for a steam bakery. Kennedy later established other operations . . . — Map (db m61009) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10800 — The Waldo Mansion
A Confederate veteran, J. P. Waldo (1839-1896) settled in Houston after the Civil War. He married Mary Virginia Gentry (1849-1922), daughter of railroad promoter Abram Gentry. Waldo soon became a prosperous railroad executive. In 1885 he built this . . . — Map (db m62780) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10797 — Trinity Episcopal Church
Established in 1893, Trinity Episcopal Church acquired this site in 1910. Construction of the sanctuary, designed by architect Ralph Adams Cram, began in 1917 and was completed in 1919. Features of the Gothic revival structure include a basilica . . . — Map (db m61064) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13318 — Twentieth Century Development of Freedman's Town
Founded on the south banks of Buffalo Bayou soon after the June 19, 1865 emancipation of enslaved blacks, Freedman's Town became the center of Houston's African American community. It originally stretched from Buffalo Bayou south to Sutton Street, . . . — Map (db m62928) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 14912 — W. L. and Susan Clayton
Mississippi native William Lockhart Clayton (1880-1966) left school early to become a court reporter. His skill attracted an executive of the American Cotton Company, and he moved first to St. Louis then to the New York office the following year. He . . . — Map (db m63848) HM

64 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement