Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Quebec

397 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 197
 
Acton Vale Station Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin Craft, August 31, 2011
Acton Vale Station Marker
Quebec (Acton MRC), Acton Vale — Acton Vale Station
Near Boulay 0.1 kilometers east of St-André (Quebec Route 139), on the left when traveling east.
The design of this building is based on a standard plan used by the Grand Trunk Railway Company to build several stations between 1895 and 1905 on the line connecting Montreal to Portland, Maine. This plan features a variety of structural shapes, . . . — Map (db m74535) HM
Quebec (Acton MRC), Upton — La Colonisation d'Upton / The Colonization of Upton
On Rue Lanoie just north of Rue Principale (Main Street) (Quebec Route 116), on the right when traveling north.
Français: Le 21 mai 1800, le gouvernement canadien proclame le canton d'Upton et l'ouvre à la colonisation. La construction du tronçon de chemin de fer de la compagnie Saint-Laurent et Atlantique, reliant Longueuil à . . . — Map (db m142810) HM
Quebec (Acton MRC), Upton — Le Magasin Général Upton / The Upton General StoreUn Brin d'Historie / A Bit of History
On Rue Lanoie just north of Rue Principale (Quebec Route 116), on the right when traveling south.
Français: Il y a une centaine d'années, le magasin général était un incontournable de tout village rural québécois. On y trouvait une variété de marchandises : des produits alimentaires, de l'équipement agricole, des vêtements, . . . — Map (db m140546) HM
Quebec (Argenteuil MRC), Saint-André-d'Argenteuil — Carillon Canal
On du Long-Sault Street (Quebec Route 344) at du Parc Street, on the right when traveling west on du Long-Sault Street.
French text appears above English text. Designed and constructed by the Royal Engineers. Commenced in 1826, completed in 1833, enlarged from 1871 to 1882. One of the canals which, by way of the St. Lawrence and the Ottawa, Rideau, and . . . — Map (db m75655) HM
Quebec (Bécancour MRC), Bécancour — The Grand DérangementSt-Grégoire
On Boulevard Port Royal (Route 132) at Rue Béliveau, on the left when traveling north on Boulevard Port Royal.
This monument/marker is made up of four panels, two in English and two in French. Each language has a panel dealing with The Grand Dérangement in general and another specific to Saint-Grégoire (here). On top is a round medallion featuring a map . . . — Map (db m140145) HM
Quebec (Bellechasse MRC), Sainte-Claire — Sainte-Claire (Dorchester)
On Principale Street at de l'Église Street, on the right when traveling east on Principale Street.
The parish of Sainte-Claire is in the seigniory granted to Louis Jolliet, the discoverer of the Mississipi, by Frontenac, as Governor, and Bochart Champigny, as Intendant, on the 30th of April, 1697. French translation is to the left of the . . . — Map (db m74883) HM
Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — La naissance de New Carlisle / Parc municipalThe Birth of New Carlisle / Municipal Park — Circuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stops 17 and 18 —
On boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque (Quebec Route 132) at rue de l'Oriental, on the right when traveling east on boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque.

La naissance de New Carlisle

La fin du 18e siècle marqua un grand tournant pour la Gaspésie et ses alentours. À partir de 1778, peu après la déclaration de l'Indépendance des États-Unis (4 juillet 1776), de nombreux Loyalistes . . . — Map (db m130361) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — L'education - New Carlisle High SchoolCircuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stop 9
On boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque just west of rue Church, on the right when traveling east.

L'éducation en Gaspésie a progressé très lentement avant le XXe siècle. Vers 1899-1900, on ne comptait encore que 65% de présence moyenne à l'école: un tiers des enfants n'y allaient pas. En hiver, les tempêtes et les mauvais . . . — Map (db m131278) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — Légion Royale Canadienne / Palais de JusticeRoyal Canadian Legion / Courthouse — Circuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stops 17 and 18 —
On boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque at rue de l'Oriental, on the right when traveling east on boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque.

Légion Royale Canadienne

A la fin de la Première Guerre mondiale, plusieurs vétérans se joignent à la « Great War Veteran's [sic] Association » . Cet organisme qui se préoccupait localement du bien-être des vétérans . . . — Map (db m130621) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican ChurchHistoire-Tradition-Patriotisme / Historical-Traditional-Patriotic — Circuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stop 9 —
On boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque (Quebec Route 132) at rue de l'Église, on the right when traveling west on boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque.

L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's

Vers 1784, les premiers Loyalistes (citoyens restés fidèles à la couronne britannique après l'indépendance américaine) viennent s'installer sur les côtes de la Baie des . . . — Map (db m131191) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian ChurchCircuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stop 15
On boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque (Quebec Route 132) at rue Réne-Lévesque, on the right when traveling west on boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque.

En 1798, le synode de l'Église presbytérienne, d'Écosse délègue deux évangélistes au Canada; l'un d'eux se rend dans la Baie-des-Chaleurs. Deux ans plus tard, la Société des Missionnaires de Londres envoie le révérend John Mitchell . . . — Map (db m130203) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — Maison Tremblay House / L'eglise Unie Zion United ChurchCircuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stop 14
On boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque (Quebec Route 132) at rue Réne-Lévesque, on the left when traveling east on boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque.

Maison Tremblay House

C'est à partir du milieu du XIXe siècle que le tissu ethnique de New Carlisle commence à se diversifier. Des catholiques, Canadiens francophones ou Irlandais, viennent y travailler, surtout dans des . . . — Map (db m130136) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — The Loyalist / Les Loyalistes1784 • 2000
On boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque (Quebec Route 132) at rue Réne-Lévesque, on the left when traveling west on boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque.

The Loyalist

Out of the conflict of the American Revolution a group of colonists remained loyal to the British Crown. Experiencing loss and persecution they sought refuge and a new homeland in Canada. The refugees numbered over . . . — Map (db m130300) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — War MemorialNew Carlisle ~ Paspebiac — 1914 - 1918 • 1939 - 1945 • 1950 - 1953 —
On boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque (Quebec Route 132) just from rue de l'Oriental, on the right when traveling east.

In honoured memory of those who gave their lives in The Great War and in gratitude to those who survive

Killed In Action Herman Astles • Thomas Blampied • Frederick Beebe Allan Balleine • Benjamin . . . — Map (db m130337) WM

Quebec (Brome-Missisquoi MRC), Dunham — First Women's Institute
On Principale (Main) Street (Quebec Route 202) 0.2 kilometers north of Quebec Route 213, on the right when traveling north.
To commemorate the founding at Dunham, January 27th, 1911, of the first women's institute in the province of Quebec. French text Pour commémorer la foundation à Dunham le 27 janvier 1911, du premier "Women's Institute" dans la . . . — Map (db m75159) HM
Quebec (Brome-Missisquoi MRC), Frelighsburg — Battle of Eccles Hill
On Eccles Hill Road 0.3 kilometers south of Ormes Road, on the right when traveling south.
The Canadian volunteers and home guards here repulsed the Fenian invaders on the 25th May 1870. — Map (db m74541) HM
Quebec (Brome-Missisquoi MRC), Knowlton — The Old Academy
Near Lakeside (Quebec Route 243) 0.1 kilometers north of Victoria Street.
French text La "Old Academy", bâtie en 1854 (St. Paul's Church High School), agrandie en 1867, et cede à la Société d'Histoire de Brome comme musée, pour honorer la mémoire de Paul-H. Knowlton, qui avait donné le terrain et le premier corps de . . . — Map (db m75161) HM
Quebec (Brome-Missisquoi MRC), Knowlton — Tibbits Hill School
On Centre at Tibbits Hill, on the right when traveling east on Centre.
Old south schoolhouse Tibbits Hill built 1844-1846 on site of squared log one erected 1827. Set up as a school museum with aid of Association of Protestant Teachers in their centennial year 1964. — Map (db m74542) HM
Quebec (Brome-Missisquoi MRC), Saint-Ignace-de-Stanbridge (Mystic) — Grange Alexander-Solomon-Walbridge
On Mystic Road 0.1 kilometers south of Walbridge Road, on the right when traveling south.
Construite en 1882 par l'entrepreneur Alexander Solomon Walbridge, cette grange-étable est formée de douze murs pignons disposés autour d'un espace central. Le bâtiment comporte deux niveaux: un premier qui servait d'étable et un second, divisé en . . . — Map (db m77846) HM
Quebec (Brome-Missisquoi MRC), Stanbridge East — In honour of Capt. Caleb Tree
On Chemin Gage 0.1 kilometers south of Quebec Route 202, on the right when traveling north.
In honour of Capt. Caleb Tree who came to Canada in 1796 from New- Hampshire, settled on this farm and along with other pioneers founded Stanbridge East in 1801. En l'honneur des pionniers de Stanbridge Est. Erected in 1966 — Map (db m74536) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Les gouverneurs généraux à l'honneurHonoring the Governors General
On avenue du Cap-Diamant, on the right when traveling north.

Au Canada, la fonction de gouverneur général est une institution dont l'origine remonte à l'époque du Régime français. Jusque dans les années 1950, à l'exception d'un seul, tous les représentants de la Couronne au Canada sont européens. En . . . — Map (db m123249) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — 50ème anniversaire de l'Organisation pour l'alimentation et l'agricultureFood and Agriculture Organization 50th Anniversary — Fiat panis —

Le 16 octobre 1995, journée mondiale de l'alimentation, les représentants des 171 membres de l'organisation des Nations Unies pour l'alimentation et l'agriculture (FAO) se sont réunis ici pour commémorer le cinquantenaire de . . . — Map (db m123221) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — A Golf Club on the Plains of AbrahamUn club de golf sur les plaines d’Abraham — (1874-1915) —
On Avenue George VI, on the right when traveling east.
English: When the British troops went back to England in 1871, they left free their drill field, then known as “Cove Fields”. The rising popularity of golf in the province of Quebec prompted fans of the game to establish the . . . — Map (db m80879) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Abraham Martin(1589-1664)
On avenue du Cap-Diamant, on the right when traveling north.

arriva en Nouvelle-France vers 1620. Il fit paître son troupeau sur des terres des Ursulines, qui furent désignées Plaines d'Abraham. Au XVIIIe siècle, des documents militaires officialisèrent ce toponyme, encore couramment utilisé. . . . — Map (db m123248) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Albert H.G. Grey
On Avenue George VI, on the left when traveling east.
English: In memory of Albert H.G. Grey B. 1851 - D. 1917 4th Earl Grey and Governor General of Canada 1904 to 1911, who played a decisive part in the decision to make the Plains of Abraham into a national park . . . — Map (db m81230) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Artillery Park: The Barracks SectorParc de l’Artillerie: Le secteur de casernement
On Rue d'Auteuil just from Rue Mcmahon.
English: Artillery Park opens its doors to you! Closed to civilians for 250 years, it served as a barrack for French and English troops before welcoming Canada’s first-ever munitions factory. Come and experience the atmosphere of this . . . — Map (db m81400) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Augustin-Norbert Morin1803-1865
On Rue d'Auteuil just from Ruelle des Ursulines.
French: Au cours des années 1850 vécut ici Augustin-Norbert Morin, né le 13 octobre 1803 à Saint-Michel-de-Bellechasse. Avocat, journaliste et homme politique, il fut tour à tour fondateur du journal La Minerve en 1826, orateur à . . . — Map (db m80761) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Bragg’s 28th Foot,Le 28ᵉ Regiment de Bragg,
On Avenue George VI at Rue de Bernières, on the right when traveling east on Avenue George VI.
English: Bragg’s 28th Foot, under Colonel Hume Walsh, stood next-left to the “Louisbourg Grenadiers” in this first of all the two-deep “thin red lines” the world had ever seen. 13th September 1759. . . . — Map (db m80919) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Calixa Lavallée(1842-1891)
On Rue Couillard just from Rue Hamel, on the left when traveling east.
English: Calixa Lavallée was one of the first Canadian musicians to win an international reputation. He studied in Montréal and Paris and was, at various times, an itinerant musician, military bandsman, choral and orchestra conductor, . . . — Map (db m81345) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Canadian Pacific Railway Company World War I Memorial1914 • 1918
On rue de la Gare at rue Saint-Nicolas, on the left when traveling east on rue de la Gare.

This tablet commemorates those in the service of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company who at the call of King and Country left all that was dear to them, endured hardship, faced danger and finally passed out of sight of men by the . . . — Map (db m123004) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Champlain MonumentVieux-Québec
On Rue de Fort in Terrasse Dufferin north of Rue Saint Louis and Le Château Frontenac, on the right when traveling north.
Samuel de Champlain Né à Brouage en Saintonge vers 1567 Servit a l'armée sous Henry IV en qualite de maréchal des logis Explora les Indies Occidentales de 1599 à 1601__l'Acadie de 1604 à 1607 Fonda Québec en 1608 Découvrit les . . . — Map (db m74547) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Chapelle funéraire de Champlain / Champlain's Funeral Chapel
On rue de Buade just west of rue du Fort, on the left when traveling west.

Ici s'élevait la chapelle construite en 1636 pour recevoir les restes de Champlain. En 1953, la Société historique de Québec en a retrouvé le fondations. . . . — Map (db m123250) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Charles Aubert de la Chesnaye(1632-1702)
On Rue du Sault au Matelot just from Côté de la Montagne.
English: The man who became New France's leading businessman arrived at Québec in 1655. Driven by a desire for place and profit he began in the import trade, but his interests expanded to include all aspects of the colony's economic life: . . . — Map (db m81498) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Chemin Royal
On Rue Saint-Jean just from Côte de l'Escarpe, on the left when traveling east.
English: On the 5th August, 1734, Lanouillier de Boiscler, Chief Roadmaster of New France, started from Quebec by coach for Montreal thus officially inaugurating the King's Highway in Canada. French: Le 5 août 1734, . . . — Map (db m80777) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Chief Warrant Officier Jean Couture, OMN, CDAdjudant Chef Jean Couture, OMN, CD — First Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM) of the Royal 22ᵉ Régiment —
Near Côte de la Citadelle.
English: This statue of Chief Warrant Officier Jean-Couture, the first senior non-commissioned officier having been Regimental Sergeant Major in 1958, reflects the tradition of excellence, pride and professionalism of non-commissioned . . . — Map (db m80839) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Collège des Jésuites / Jesuit Collegeenseigner en Nouvelle-France / Teach in New France
On rue Desjardins at rue De Buade, on the right when traveling south on rue Desjardins.

Ces pierres appartenaient au fronton du collège des Jésuites. Elles sont marquées du monogramme de l'ordre, constitué des lettres IHS qui désignent Jésus. Remises aux Jésuites lors de la démolition de l'édifice en 1877, les pierres ont été . . . — Map (db m123088) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Convent of the Nuns of the Congregation
On Rue Saint-Pierre at Côté de la Montagne, on the left when traveling south on Rue Saint-Pierre.
English: On this site stood the convent of the Nuns of the Congregation, established by Sister Bourgeoys, in 1692, and occupied by the said religious community up to 1843, when it removed to St.-Roch. French: Sur cet . . . — Map (db m81526) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Cornelius Krieghoff(1815-1872)
On Grande Allée Ouest (Route 175) at Avenue Cartier, on the right when traveling east on Grande Allée Ouest.
French: L'œuvre vivante et colorée de Cornelius Krieghoff en fit l'un des peintres canadiens les plus connus du XIXe siècle. Né à Amsterdam, il arriva en 1840 au Canada où il peignit près de 2000 tableaux inspirés par son pays . . . — Map (db m137571) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Diamond Jubilee of Confederation
On Côte de la Montagne just from Rue Port Dauphin, on the left when traveling south.
English: Tablet placed by the Committee of the local celebration of the Diamond Jubilee of Confederation to mark the spot where the pact was signed, on October 10th, 1864. French: Inscription placée par le Comité local de la . . . — Map (db m80790) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Do You Know Joan of Arc?Connaissez-vous Jeanne d’Arc?
On Avenue George VI, on the left when traveling east.
English: Who has not heard of this young girl who left her village at the age of 17, guided by mysterious voices? Her mission was nothing less that to drive the English out of France and bring about the coronation of Charles . . . — Map (db m80877) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Felix-Gabreil Marchand11ᵉ Premier Ministre du Quebec de 1897 a 1900
On Rue Sainte-Ursule just from Rue Sainte-Anne, on the right when traveling north.
French: Ici vécut et mourut Félix-Gabriel Marchand, premier ministre du Québec, notaire, homme de lettres et journaliste. Il fut député du comté de Saint-Jean dès 1867. Il devint ministre dans le cabinet liberal de Joly de Lotbinière, . . . — Map (db m81334) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — First Graveyard of QuebecLe premier cimetière de Québec
On Côte de la Montagne, on the left when traveling south.
English: Within this enclosure was located the first graveyard of Quebec, where interments were made from the early days of the colony up to 1687. "This plaque, commemorating the burial here of Indians and French settlers, has been . . . — Map (db m80791) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — First Patent in CanadaPremier brevet d’invention
On Côte de la Montagne near Rue Port Dauphine, on the left when traveling south.
The first patent of invention was issued by the Province of Lower Canada in the Parliament Buildings which stood on this site. It was granted on the 8th June, 1824, for a washing and fulling machine in favour of Noah Cushing of Quebec . . . — Map (db m80789) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Fortifications de / of QuébecGaspard-J. Chaussegros de Léry — National Historic Civil Engineering Site —
On Rue Saint Louis just from Avenue Honoré Mercier, on the right when traveling east.
Fortifications de / of Québec English: Quebec city’s defensive system is a remarkable feat of engineering. But during the colonial period, it represents the work of a succession of engineers. French: Le système défensif . . . — Map (db m80845) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Frederick G. Todd
On Avenue George VI just from Rue Garneau, on the left when traveling east.
English: In memory of Frederick G. Todd B. 1876 - D. 1948 Landscape architect planner and designer of Battlefields Park, who brought to life the historic significance and natural beauty of the site. . . . — Map (db m80916) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Frontenac
On Rue Saint Louis at Avenue Honoré Mercier, on the right when traveling east on Rue Saint Louis.
English: Faced Phips unflinchingly, but the scale of victory could not be turned decisively until the famous reinforcements of Carignan’s and French-Canadians marched in triumphantly along the Grande-Allée. 1690 French: . . . — Map (db m80841) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Funiculaire / Funicular125 ans d'histoire / 125 years of history — (1879-2004) —
On rue du Petit Champlain just south of rue Sous le Fort, on the right when traveling south.

En 1945, un violent incendie détruisit complètement le funiculaire et causa des dommages majeurs à la maison Louis-Jolliet. Le funiculaire fut alors reconstruit en prenant bien soin de recouvrir sa structure d'un abri métallique pour . . . — Map (db m123190) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — General Montgomery’s Army
On Côte de la Citadelle just from Rue Saint Louis, on the left when traveling north.
The subject of these two markers is the burial of General Richard Montgomery and a number of soldiers from his army. The remains of the thirteen soldiers of General Montgomery’s Army killed in the assault of Quebec . . . — Map (db m80800) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — General Richard Montgomery
On Rue Saint Louis just from Rue Sainte-Ursule, on the left when traveling east.
To the memory of General Richard Montgomery who fell at Pres de Ville, at the foot of Cape Diamond during the December 31, 1775 attack. The next day, his body was brought to the house of Jean Gaubert which stood on this spot, and encoffined prior . . . — Map (db m80803) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Georges-Philias Vanier(1888-1967)
Near Côte de la Citadelle.
English: Governor General from 1959 to 1967, Vanier had a distinguished military and diplomatic career. A founder of the Royal 22e Régiment, he served with it in the First World War and was its commanding officer from 1925 to 1928. General . . . — Map (db m80840) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Guillaume Verrier1680-1758
On Rue Sainte-Famille just from Rue Hébert when traveling south.
English: Born in France, Verrier was Attorney General of New France and member of the Council of Quebec for thirty years from 1728 until his death. From 1735 onwards, many who were te become successful men of law benefitted from the courses . . . — Map (db m81347) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Guy Carleton
On Rue de la Barricade at Rue du Sault au Matelot, on the right when traveling east on Rue de la Barricade.
English: Here stood her old and new defenders uniting guarding saving Canada defeating Arnold at the Sault-au-Matelot barricade on the last day of 1775 Guy Carleton commanding at Quebec . . . — Map (db m81499) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Here, on the very eve of victoryAu moment où la victoire lui était assurée
On Avenue George VI just from Rue Garneau, on the left when traveling east.
English: Here, on the very eve of victory, Wolfe received his mortal wound, and at once was carried back to where he died victorious. 13th September 1759. French: Au moment où la victoire lui était . . . — Map (db m80918) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — hic lacet franciscus de Laval / Here lies François de Laval
On rue de Buade just west of rue du Fort, on the right when traveling west.

hic lacet franciscus de Laval primus quebecensis Episcopus. Obit die Sext â maii, Anuo Salutis millesimo septingentesimo octaiio ætatis Suæ octogesimo Sexto Consecrationis quinquagesimo requiescat in pace . . . — Map (db m123251) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Home of the Quebec Chronicle-TelegraphUn palais de la presse à Québec
On Rue de Buade just from Rue du Fort, on the right when traveling east.
English: Designed in 1907 by Georges-Émile Tanguay, the architect of City Hall, this edifice was considered strikingly modern in its day. It features an imposing corner entrance and a dome turret that evokes the bell tower of the . . . — Map (db m80785) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Hommage à Gérard ThibaultTribute to Gérard Thibault
On rue Saint-Paul at rue Saint-Nicolas, on the right when traveling north on rue Saint-Paul.

Depuis la venue de Charles Trenet à Québec en 1949, e'est ici, où logeaite le célèbre cabaret Chez Gerard, que Gérard Thibault a accueilli un grand nombre d'artistes de la chanson française et québécoise, dont il fut un . . . — Map (db m123033) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Hôtel Chevalier
On Rue du Marché-Champlain just from Rue Notre Dame, on the left when traveling north.
French: En 1752, le négociant Jean-Baptiste Chevalier fit construire ce hôtel particulier qui lui servit de domicile, de maison d’affaires et d’entrepôt. L’hôtel fut converti en auberge, vers la fin du XVIIIᵉ siècle, sous le . . . — Map (db m81539) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Hôtel-Dieu de QuébecL’Hôtel-Dieu de Québec
On Côte du Palais just from Rue Mcmahon.
English: Founded on 16 August 1637 by the Duchess of Aiguillon and the religious order of the Augustines Hospitalières of Dieppe, the Hôtel-Dieu de Québec was the first permanent hospital established north of Mexico. As soon as they . . . — Map (db m80783) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — In Memory of Our Fallen SoldiersLa mémoire des combattants
On Grande Allée Est just from Avenue George VI.
English: Unveiled on July 1, 1924, the Cross of Sacrifice originally honoured the memory of the Canadian soldiers killed during the Great War of 1914-1918. Over 66,000 lost their lives in the conflict. A handful of earth from Vimy, the . . . — Map (db m80846) HM WM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Irish Roots in Old QuébecThe Irish Settle and Flourish — La présence irlandaise dans le Vieux-Québec / Les Irlandais s'installent et laissent leur marque —
On Rue Mcmahon at Rue de l'Arsenal (Rue Carleton), on the right when traveling west on Rue Mcmahon.
This marker has text on both sides of the panel. Side A Irish Roots in Old Québec / La présence irlandaise dans le Vieux-Québec English: The Story in Brief History notes that the first . . . — Map (db m87056) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Jonathan Sewell
On Rue Saint Louis just from Rue d'Auteuil, on the right when traveling east.
English: Thirty years Chief Justice of Lower Canada, Adviser to Governor Craig, Leader of the “Chateau Clique”, Early advocate of Confederation, Man of culture and patron of the arts. Born Cambridge, Mass 6th June, 1766 . . . — Map (db m80818) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Joseph Bouchette1774-1841
On Rue Saint Louis at Rue du Parloir, on the left when traveling east on Rue Saint Louis.
English: Born at Quebec, Bouchette rose rapidly in the ranks of the Public Service to become, in 1804, Surveyor General of the Province. In carrying out the responsibilities of this office, he travelled throughout Upper and Lower Canada. In . . . — Map (db m81318) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Kent HouseMaison du Duc de Kent
On Rue Saint Louis just from Rue Haldimand, on the right.
English: D’Ailleboust, Governor of New France, occupied this house in 1648. De Ramezay here signed the capitulation of Quebec in 1759. The Duke of Kent, father of Queen Victoria, resided here from 1792 to 1794. French: . . . — Map (db m81260) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — La Batterie Royale
On Rue Saint-Pierre just from Rue Sous le Fort, on the left when traveling south.
French: Sous le règne de Louis VIV, en l’année 1691, Frontenac, gouverneur général de la Nouvelle-France fait construire en ce lieu appelé Pointe-aux-Roches un plate-forme qui doit recevoir une batterie de canons nécessaire à la défense de . . . — Map (db m81531) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — La chute Montmorency / Montmorency Falls

Le Sault de Montmorency, tel est le nom originel de la cataracte, celui que Champlain lui a donné en l'honneur d'Henri II, duc de Montmorency, son protecteur, vice-roi de la Nouvelle-France en 1619.

Le chute figure parmi les plus imposantes . . . — Map (db m123370) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — La contribution des troupes allemandes à la défense du CanadaThe Contributions of German Troops to the Defence of Canada
On avenue du Cap-Diamant, on the right when traveling north.

La contribution des troupes allemandes à la défense du Canada pendant la guerre de l'indéndance américaine

De 1776 à 1783, ces troupes au service de la Grande-Bretagne jouèrent un rôle crucial dans la défense du Canada, formant à . . . — Map (db m123223) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — La Maison Henry-Stuart / Henry-Stuart House
On Avenue Cartier north of Grande Allée Ouest, on the right when traveling north.
French: Cette charmante maison au cœur d'un jardin est un remarquable exemple d'un « cottage orné » inspiré par les principes esthétiques du mouvement pittoresque d'origine anglaise. Elle fut bâtie en 1849 par Maria Curry, épouse du marchand . . . — Map (db m137602) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — La pierre de la Croix de Malte / The Maltese Cross Stone

Au-dessus de cette porte cochère se trouve la pierre de la Croix de Malte. En 1647, Charles Huault de Montmagny, chevalier de l'Ordre de Malte, premier gouverneur et lieutenant général de la Nouvelle-France, la fait placer sur le Château . . . — Map (db m123217) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — L'anse du parc de la Chute-MontmorencyThe Cove of Montmorency Falls Park

L'anse du parc de la Chute-Montmorency a été mise en lumière pour la première fois le 24 mai 2008, a l'occasion du 400e anniversaire de la fondation de Québec . . . — Map (db m123368) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Le Château FrontenacVieux-Québec
On Rue Saint Louis 0.03 kilometers east of Rue du Fort.
Construit en sept étapes à partir de 1892-1893, cet édifice offre un excellet exemple des hotels de style Chateau etablis par les companies ferroviaires au Canada. Rehaussé par la splendeur du site, il évoque la romantisme des château de la Loir . . . — Map (db m74546) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Le premier monastère d’Ursulines
On Ruelle de la Place at Rue des Pains Bénits on Ruelle de la Place.
French: Le 1er août 1639, Marie de l’Incarnation, Ursuline de Tours en France, et ses deux compagnes fondent à cet emplacement le premier monastère d’Ursulines en Nouvelle-France. Dans une maison concédée par la compagnie des . . . — Map (db m81536) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Le Siège de Québec, 1759 / The Siege of Québec, 1759
Near Avenue George VI 0.2 kilometers east of Avenue Taché, on the left when traveling west.
Français: Le siège de Québec se déroule du 26 juin au 18 septembre 1759, durant la guerre de Sept Ans. Le 13 septembre, les troupes britanniques sous le major-général James Wolfe vainquent une force composée de militaires . . . — Map (db m139497) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Le Vielle Prison de Québec(The Old Quebec Prison) — (Morrin College) —
On Chaussée des Écossais (frmrly Rue Saint Stanislas) just from Rue Dauphine, on the right when traveling south.
English: This is the first prison in Canada to reflect the principles of John Howard, a British reformer who believed that cellular confinement, work, and education could rehabilitate criminals. Designed by local architect François . . . — Map (db m80776) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Le Vieux-Québec, site du patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCOOld Quebec, UNESCO World Heritage Site
On rue Desjardins at rue De Buade, on the right when traveling south on rue Desjardins.

Fondée par l'explorateur français Champlain au début du XVIIe siècle, Québec demeure la seule ville d'Amérique du Nord à avoir conservé ses remparts qui regroupent de nombreux bastions, portes et ouvrages défensifs . . . — Map (db m123085) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Legislature of the Province of CanadaLe Parlement de la Province du Canada
On Rue Port Dauphin at Côte de la Montagne on Rue Port Dauphin.
English: Between 1850 and 1866, the Capital of the Province of Canada alternated between Toronto and Québec. In 1852, Parliament met in the Legislative Chambers of Lower Canada on the site of the old Bishop’s Palace, now Montmorency Park. . . . — Map (db m80787) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — L'Église Notre-Dame-des-Victoires Church
On rue Sous-le-Fort at rue Notre-Dame, on the left when traveling east on rue Sous-le-Fort.

Cette église, qui occupe le site de l'Habitation de Champlain, a été érigée à la fin du XVIIe siècle. L'édifice actuel porte la signature d'architectes aussi réputés que les Baillif, Maillou et Baillairgé. Son nom rappelle la . . . — Map (db m123414) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Les Conferences de Québec de 1943 et 1944The Québec Conferences of 1943 and 1944
On Rue Saint Louis just from Côte de la Citadelle, on the right when traveling west.
French: En 1943 et 1944 le president des États-Unis Franklin Delano Roosevelt et le premier ministre de Grande Bretagne Winston Spencer Churchill dirigèrent à Quebec les deux conferences qui déterminèrent lisse de la deuxième Guerre . . . — Map (db m80758) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Les filles du roy(Daughters of the King)
On Ruelle de la Place just from Rue Saint-PIerre, on the right when traveling east.
French: Entre 1663 et 1973, plus de 770 filles du roy, venues de France, débarquèrent à Québec. Marguerite Bourgeoys, fondatrice de la Congrégation de Notre-Dame, désigne sous ce nom les jeune filles, bénéficiaires d’une dot . . . — Map (db m81532) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Les photographes LivernoisThe Livernois, a Family of Photographers
On rue Saint-Jean at rue Couillard, on the left when traveling east on rue Saint-Jean.

Jules-Isaïe Benoît dit Livernois 1830-1865

Élise l'Heureux 1827-1896

Jules-Ernest, 1851-1933

Jules, 1877-1952

Sculpteur Raoul Hunter . . . — Map (db m123265) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Les Premiers Colons de Québec(The first colonists of Québec)
On Rue Port Dauphin just from Côté de la Montagne, on the right when traveling south.
Ils ont été à la peine; qu’ils soient à l’honneur: English translation: They lived in hardship, and are now in the place of honor: Louis Hébert 1617 Marie Rollet • Guillaume Couillard 1618 Marie-Guillemette Hébert • Abraham Marin . . . — Map (db m81495) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — L'hôtel de Ville de Québec / Québec City Hall
On rue Desjardins at rue De Buade, on the right when traveling south on rue Desjardins.

Construit en 1895-1896 sur le site de l’ancien collège des Jésuites, l’hôtel de ville est un édifice imposant dont l’aménagement permit de loger facilement les nombreux services municipaux durant plusieurs années. C’est aux . . . — Map (db m123066) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — L'Immigration des Filles du Roi en Nouvelle-France / Immigration of the Filles du Roi to New France
On Rue du Marché-Champlain (Quebec Route 136) at Rue du Cul-de-sac, on the right when traveling west on Rue du Marché-Champlain.
Français: De 1663 à 1673, quelque huit cents filles du roi immigrent en Nouvelle-France dans le but de s’y marier et d’y fonder une famille. Ces Françaises, pour la plupart des orphelins sans le sou, voient leur passage et leur . . . — Map (db m139498) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Louis Jolliet1645-1700
On Rue du Petit Champlain just from Rue Sous le Fort, on the right when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m80798) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Louis Jolliet HouseMaison Louis Jolliet
On Rue du Petit Champlain at Rue Sous le Fort, on the right when traveling south on Rue du Petit Champlain.
English: This house was built in 1683 by architect Baillif for Louis Jolliet, discoverer of the Mississippi, who occupied it until his death in 1700. A subterranean passage led to the cul-de-sac cove. French: . . . — Map (db m80786) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Louis-Joseph de Montcalm1712-1759
On Rue Saint Louis just from Rue du Corps de Garde, on the right when traveling east.
French: À la suite de blessures reçues lors de la bataille des plaines d’Abraham, Louis-Joseph de Montcalm, marquis de Montcalm, lieutenant général des armées française en Nouvelle-France, décède à l’aube du 14 septembre 1759 dans la maison . . . — Map (db m81261) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Maison Baillargeon
On Rue Sainte-Ursule just from Rue Sainte-Anne, on the right when traveling north.
French: Habitée par trois générations d’une même famille, cette maison a été construite en 1860 selon les plans de l’architecte Charles Baillairgé pour le docteur Pierre Baillargeon (1812-1891), médecin, dentiste et sénateur. Il était . . . — Map (db m81333) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Maison François-Xavier Garneau
On Rue Saint Flavien just from Rue Couillard.
English: In this house, François-Xavier Garneau, the historian of Canada, lived for several years and here he died on the 3rd of February, 1866. French: En cette maison résida plusieurs années, et mourut le 3 février 1866, . . . — Map (db m81346) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Maison Jean-Demers
On Rue du Petit Champlain just from Rue Soul le Fort, on the left when traveling south.
French: Jean Demers ou Dumets, de Dieppe, entreprit la construction de cette maison en 1689. Les maçons Le Rouge, Reonault et Charpentier y travaillèrent. Elle a été habitée par la famille Demers jusqu’en 1764. Le carré de la maison a . . . — Map (db m80801) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Maison Marie-Joseph-LarchevêqueMarie-Joseph Larchevêque House
On Côte de la Fabrique at rue Garneau, on the left when traveling east on Côte de la Fabrique.

Le lot sur lequel s'élève la maison Marie-Joseph-Larchevêque fut concédé par les Jésuites à Jean-Baptiste Larchevêque en 1715. Dix ans plus tard, sa fille Marie-Joseph fait construire une maison en pierre avec une galerie . . . — Map (db m123064) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Marie-Catherine de Saint-Augustin1632-1668 — Co-fondatrice de l'église canadienne/Co-foundress of the Church of Canada —
On rue Charlevoix at rue de-l'Hôtel-Dieu, on the right when traveling west on rue Charlevoix.

Catherine de Longpré nait à Saint-Sauveur-le-Vicomte en Normandie, à douze ans et demi, elle entre au monastère des Augustines à Bayeux. À quatorze ans, elle s'offre pour aller évangelisér en Nouvelle-France. Le 31 mai 1648, elle quitte son . . . — Map (db m123289) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Martello Towers / Tours MartelloMartello Tower 2 / Tour Martello 2
On Avenue Wilfrid-Laurier at Avenue Taché, on the left when traveling east on Avenue Wilfrid-Laurier.
English: In the early 19th century, the British feared that the Americans, after gaining their independence (1776), would attempt to annex Upper and Lower Canada. In response to this threat, Gother Mann, as commanding officier of the Royal . . . — Map (db m80880) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Martello Towers in Quebec / Tours Martello de QuébecMartello Tower 1 / Tour Martello 1
Near Avenue George VI just from Avenue Taché, on the right when traveling east.
English: In the early 19th century, the British were afraid that the Americans, having won their independence in 1776, would try to annex Upper and Lower Canada. In the face of this threat, Gother Mann, Canada’s chief engineer (1785-1804), . . . — Map (db m80886) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Mathieu d'Amours
On rue Sous-le-Fort just west of rue Notre Dame, on the left when traveling west.

Hommage et reconnaissance à Mathieu d'Amours à l'occasion du 350e anniversaire de son arrivée à Québec

Mathieu d'Amours, sieur de Chaufours, né à Paris en 1618, arrive à Québec en 1651 en compagnie du . . . — Map (db m123412) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Michel Boisvert, SJFondateur de la Maison Dauphine
On Rue Dauphine just from Rue Sainte-Ursule, in the median.
French: En 1992, le jésuite Michel Boisvert (1944-2006) fonde ici la Maison Dauphine, qui offre un accueil inconditionnel aux jeunes de la rue en leur assurant protection, aide et soutien. C’est pendant qu’il exerce son ministère au . . . — Map (db m81335) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Monseigneur Joseph-Clovis K.-Laflamme1849-1910
On Rue de la Vieille-Université at Rue Sainte-Famille, on the left on Rue de la Vieille-Université.
Homme de science et homme de foi, monseigneur Laflamme est considéré comme le premier géologue canadien-français. Né à Saint-Anselme de Dorchester, le 19 septembre 1849, il fut ordonné prêtre en 1872 et reçut un doctorat en théologie en 1873. De . . . — Map (db m81493) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Montcalm
On Avenue George VI just from Avenue Taché, on the left when traveling east.
English: defeated here received his mortal wound 13th September 1759 French: vaincu blessé à mort ici le 13 septembre 1759 — Map (db m80888) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — National Eucharistic Congress
On Avenue George VI, on the left when traveling west.
English: The first National Eucharistic Congress was duly solemnised on the these historic plains in June, 1938, when the descendants of ancestral foes met as fraternal friends. French: Sur ces plaines historiques se . . . — Map (db m81232) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Naval Brigades Review
On Avenue George VI, on the right when traveling east.
English: Unique in universal history, the French, American and British naval brigades at the tercentenary review in 1908 marched together as friends across the very ground for which their predecessors fought. French: Fait . . . — Map (db m81231) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Notre-Dame-des-Victoires
On Rue des Pains Bénits, on the left when traveling south.
French: Notre-Dame-des-Victoires construite en 1688 nommée ainsi à la suite du siège de Phipps et du désastre de la flotte de Walker elle est la plus ancienne église de pierre du Québec . . . — Map (db m81529) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — O Canada!
On Avenue George VI.
English: This glorious national anthem, verse by Sir Adolphe Routhier, music by Calixa Lavallée, was sung at the First Congrès Catholique des Canadiens-Français, on the Fête de Saint-Jean-Baptiste, 24th June, 1880. . . . — Map (db m80849) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Octave CrémazieQuébec 1827 • Le Havre 1879
On Côte de la Fabrique just east of rue Garneau, on the left when traveling east.

La société des poètes a fait poser cette plaquette en 1932 sur la maison jadis occupée par la librairie crémazie.

[English translation]

In 1932, the Society of Poets had this plaque put on the house formerly occupied by the . . . — Map (db m123065) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Organisation pour l'alimentation et l'agricultureFood and Agriculture Organization — Fiat panis —

Le 16 octobre, 1945, cette organisation, le premier des organismes nouveaux des Nations Unies, fut adoptée, en cet édifice, par les représentants de 44 nations. Pour la première fois, des nations s'organisaient pour améliorer le niveau . . . — Map (db m123220) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Parc Samuel-Holland / Samuel Holland Park
On chemin Sainte-Foy just east of avenue Holland, on the right when traveling east.

Ce terrain a été donné à la Ville de Québec pour y aménager un parc public en mémoire du major Samuel Holland, soldat, arpenteur-géomètre et cartographe, et da sa femme Marie-Josephte Rolet et leur famille qui habitèrent à cet . . . — Map (db m123304) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Pavillon Charles-Baillairgé
On Avenue George VI just from Avenue Wolfe Montcalm, on the left when traveling west.
English: This building was constructed between 1861 and 1871 according to plans by architect Charles Baillairgé (1826-1906), whose name it now bears. Until 1970, it served as Quebec City’s prison. The building’s outstanding . . . — Map (db m81229) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Pierre Dugua de Monsv. 1560 - 1628
On 2-4 Rue des Pains Bénits, on the left when traveling south.
French: Nomme lieutenant général de la Nouvelle France en 1603, le sieur de Mons est chargé par Henri IV de fonder une colonie permanente en Amérique du Nord en échange du privilège exclusif de la traite des fourrures. Après deux . . . — Map (db m81528) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Pierre-Joseph-Olivier Chauveau(1820-1890)
On rue Sainte-Anne 0.1 kilometers west of rue du Fort, on the right when traveling west.

C'est dans cette maison, construite en 1732 pour le marchand Charles Berthelot, que grandit et vécut jusqu'à sa mort Pierre-Joseph-Olivier Chauveau, chef du Parti conservateur et premier ministre de la province de Québec, de 1867 à . . . — Map (db m123089) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Place Jean-Pelletier
On rue Saint-Paul (Quebec Route 136) at rue Saint-Nicolas, on the left when traveling east on rue Saint-Paul.

L'année 2014 marque le trente-cinquième anniversaire de l'Association internationale des maires francophones, créée en 1979 à l'initiative conjointe des maires de Paris et de Québec, messieurs Jacques Chirac et Jean Pelletier. À cette occasion, . . . — Map (db m123032) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Premier Hôpital au CanadaFirst Hospital in Canada
On Côte du Palais just from Rue Mcmahon, on the right when traveling east.
English: The Hotel-Dieu of Quebec, founded on the 16th August, 1637 by the Duchesse d’Aiguillon and the Augustines Hospitalieres de Dieppe, is the first hospital established in America, north of Mexico. Here, ever since their arrival in . . . — Map (db m80782) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Premier Hôtel de Ville
On Rue Saint Louis just from Rue Sainte-Ursule, on the left.
French: C’est ici que se trouve, entre 1840 et 1896, le premier hôtel de ville permanent de la ville de Québec. Le conseil municipal y siège, sauf de 1848 à 1851, période durant laquelle il tient se réunions dans l’immeuble du . . . — Map (db m81320) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Protecting the Upper TownProtéger la haute-ville
On Rue Mcmahon just from Rue d'Auteuil, on the left when traveling east.
English: The promontory on which Québec is perched offered a natural defense against attackers. But its west flank, which gave way to open countryside, was vulnerable. Enormous sums of money would be spent to protect this side of the town. . . . — Map (db m81436) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Quebec Boer War Memorial
On Rue Saint Louis just from Côte de la Citadelle, on the right when traveling west.
Not by the power of commerce, art or pen, shall our great empire stand; nor has it stood; but by the noble deeds of noble men, heroic lives, and heroes’ outpoured blood. For Empire Canada Quebec Major J.H.C. Ogilvy, D.S.O., R.C.A., . . . — Map (db m80759) WM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Quebec City Astronomical ObservatoryObservatoire Astronomique de Québec
On Avenue George VI at Rue Garneau, on the left when traveling east on Avenue George VI.
English: The Quebec City Astronomical Observatory was officially established at the Citadel in 1850 by the Department of Marine and Fisheries in order to give the exact time to sailors on the many ships anchored at the port. In 1864, an . . . — Map (db m80920) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Québec Court HouseLe palais de justice de Quebec
On Rue Saint Louis just from Rue du Trèsor, on the left when traveling west.
English: This building, designed by Eugène-Étienne Taché and other provincial Department of Public Works architects, was largely constructed between 1883 and 1887 on the site of the city's first court house. Its mansard roof, classical . . . — Map (db m81255) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Québec Martello TowersLes tours Martello de Québec
Near Avenue George VI just from Avenue Taché, on the left when traveling east.
English: Four Martello towers (three of which remains) were an integral part of the defences of Québec, the key to the control of the continental interior of North America. Works had been proposed in the Plains of Abraham since the early . . . — Map (db m80891) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Samuel Johannes Holland(1728-1801)
On avenue Holland just south of chemin Sainte-Foy, on the left when traveling south.

Par ses méticuleux travaux d'arpentage, Samuel Holland influença les modes de colonisation de grandes régions du Canada. Né aux Pays-Bas, il effectua des levés stratégiques pour l'armée britannique en Amérique du Nord pendant la guerre de Sept . . . — Map (db m123308) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Seneschal’s Court
On Rue Saint Louis just from Rue du Trèsor, on the left when traveling west.
English: This ground, which formerly extended to the east, was occupied by the Seneschal’s Court about the year 1650, became, in 1681, the property of the Recollets, who erected on it a church and monastery which were destroyed by fire in . . . — Map (db m81257) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Site du palais de l'intendant / Intendant's Palace Site
On rue Saint-Nicolas at Côte de la Potesse, on the right when traveling south on rue Saint-Nicolas.

Sur cet emplacement l'Intendant Talon constuisit, en 1668, une brasserie, qui fut transformée en palais pour les Intendants par M. de Meulles, en 1686. Cet édifice, incendié en 1713, reconstruit par M. Bégon, de nouveau ravagé par le feu en . . . — Map (db m123058) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Site historique du Monastère-des-Augustines de-l'Hôtel-Dieu-de-Québec
On rue Charlevoix at rue de-l'Hôtel-Dieu, on the right when traveling west on rue Charlevoix.

Venues de Dieppe en 1639, les Augustines avaient pour mission de pourvoir la colonie naissante en soins hospitaliers. L'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec est le premier et le plus important des 12 établissements de soins de santé qu'elles ont fondés au . . . — Map (db m123266) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Site historique et archéologique de l’Habitation-Samuel-De Champlain
On Rue Notre Dame, on the left when traveling south.
French: C’est sur cet emplacement stratégique, fréquenté par les Amérindiens depuis environ 3000 ans, que Samuel de Champlain fonde le comptoir de Québec, le 3 juillet 1608. Il y fait ériger une habitation en bois qui est reconstruite en . . . — Map (db m81527) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Site of Armed Forces Staff HeadquartersSite du siège des forces armées Staff

Headquarters of Staffs of Armed Forces present at Quebec Conferences August 1943 and September 1944 to advise on strategy vital to victory

Franklin D. Roosevelt President of the United States and Winston S. Churchill . . . — Map (db m123214) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Stone Wind MillMoulin à vent en pierre
On Rue Mont Carmel just from Rue des Grisons, on the left when traveling west.
English: On this height, called Mont Carmel, there stood in 1690 a stone wind-mill whereon was mounted a battery of three guns, and which served for a redoubt during the siege of Quebec by Phips. It was called “Le Cavalier du . . . — Map (db m81325) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The “Louisbourg Grenadiers”Les grenadiers de Louisbourg
On Rue Garneau.
English: (Grenadiers of Battalions left at Louisbourg) formed the right of the actual front, which, itself, formed the first two-deep “thin red line” the world had ever seen 13th September 1759. French: . . . — Map (db m81246) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The / Le Royal Roussillon,
On Avenue George VI at Rue Garneau, on the left when traveling east on Avenue George VI.
English: commanded by Colonel Poulariez, formed the left of the actuel French Front, was first in the gallant attack, and the last in retreat before a devastating fire. 13th September 1759. French: sous le Colonel . . . — Map (db m80917) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Artillery ParkLe park de l’Artillerie
Near Rue d'Auteuil just from Rue Saint-Jean.
English: The Artillery Park National Site of Canada commemorates 250 years of military activity in the heart of Québec’s fortifications. You can visit these buildings. Ⓐ The Arsenal Foundry, where you can examine a model of the . . . — Map (db m81396) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Congregation of the Church of Scotland
On Rue Sainte-Anne just from Rue Cook, on the right when traveling west.
English: The Congregation of the Church of Scotland, which had Worshipped in Quebec since 1759, Pettitioned (sic) his Majesty King George III, in 1892, for the land on which this Church stands. It was erected and dedicated in 1810. . . . — Map (db m81332) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Grande Allée Drill HallLe manège de la Grande Allée
On Avenue Wilfrid-Laurier just from Place George V Ouest, on the right when traveling east.
English: The Grande-Allée Drill Hall is an impressive example of a drill hall that retains its original parade square. Designed by Eugène-Étienne Taché, a Quebec public servant and architect, the stone building was completed in 1887, with . . . — Map (db m80754) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Jacquet HouseLa Maison Jacquet
On Rue Saint Louis at Rue des Jardins, on the left when traveling east on Rue Saint Louis.
English: One of the oldest houses in Quebec, built by François Jacquet in 1675-76. Prominent citizen of Quebec City lived here, of whom Philippe Aubert de Gaspé, author of “Les Anciens Canadiens”, from 1815 to 1824. . . . — Map (db m80802) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Literary and Historical Society of Quebec
On Chaussée des Écossais (frmrly Rue Saint Stanislas) just from Rue Dauphine, on the right when traveling south.
English: Founded on the initiative of Lord Dalhousie in 1824 to preserve the documentary record of Canadian history, this was the first Canadian learned society. For 120 years, the Society made important contributions to higher learning as . . . — Map (db m80775) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Maillou HouseLa Maison Malliou
On Rue Saint Louis just from Rue Haldimand, on the right when traveling east.
English: Built as a one-storey house about 1736 by Jean Maillou, architect, it was raised before 1775 to its present height by Antoine Duchesnay, Executive Councillor and extended in 1799 by John Hale, Deputy Paymaster General of the . . . — Map (db m80799) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Québec BridgeLe pont Québec
Near Boulevard Laurier (Quebec Route 175).
English: This is the longest span cantilever bridge in the world, stretching 548.6 meters between the main piers. Completed in 1917, it is a remarkable engineering achievement. To overcome technical problems that had caused the collapse of . . . — Map (db m81248) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Québec CitadelLa Citadelle de Québec
Near Rue de la Citadelle.
English: In 1820 Lieutenant-Colonel Elias Walker Durnford of the Royal Engineers took charge of the construction of the Québec Citadel, which completed the city's defensive works begun during the French régime. Set on the heights of . . . — Map (db m80822) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Quebec ConferencesConferences de Quebec — 1943 and/ et 1944 —
Near Côte de la Citadelle.
English: During the Second World War, on the invitation of the Prime Minister of Canada, W.L. Mackenzie King, the President of the United States, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Winston S. Churchill, . . . — Map (db m80821) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Québec Garrison ClubLe cercle de la garnison de Québec
On Rue Saint Louis just from Cote de la Citadelle, on the right when traveling west.
English: The Québec Garrison Club embodies the British tradition of private clubs in which the military and civil elites gather. Founded in 1879 by Canadian militia officers, the Club has hosted countless social and recreational events . . . — Map (db m81233) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Siege of Québec, 1775 - 1776Le siège de Québec, 1775 - 1776
On Rue de la Barricade just from Rue Saint-PIerre, on the left when traveling east.
English: Here, at the Sault-au-Matelot barricade, Canadian militia and British forces under the general command of Governor Carleton repelled the attack of the American "Congressionists" on December 31, 1775. At Près-de-Ville, near the foot . . . — Map (db m81505) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Têtu HouseLa maison Têtu
On Avenue Sainte Geneviève just from Rue des Grisons, on the right when traveling east.
English: In 1852 Cirice Têtu, a merchant, asked Charles Baillairgé, one of the finest architects in Québec, to draw up the plans for his home and to oversee its construction. The Têtu house is one of the most remarkable examples of the . . . — Map (db m81324) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The VII Royal Fusiliers1685
On Rue des Carrières just from Rue du Fort.
This tablet is erected by permission of his Majesty King George V, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Fusiliers, by that regiment, their sister regiment, the Canadian Fusiliers and their friends to the memory of the officiers and men of the 7th Royal . . . — Map (db m81540) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Theatre de l’Estoc(1959-1968)
On Rue Saint Louis just from Rue du Trèsor, on the right when traveling east.
French: C’est ici, derrière ce mur, qu’a évolué le Théâtre de l’Estoc, chef de file de l’activité théâtrale québécoise dans les années 1960. Fondée en 1957 par trois jeunes passionnés, Pierre Fontaine, Andre Ricard et Jean-Louis Tremblay, la . . . — Map (db m81259) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Trois façons de se chauffer / Three Modes of Heating
On rue Notre-Dame at Place Royale, on the right when traveling south on rue Notre-Dame.

Le grand foyer était situé au premier étage de la maison de François Hazeur, riche marchand du Régime français. La clé de voûte figurée indique que ce foyer a probablement été reconstruit après la Conquête. Le petit foyer, qui se trouvait à . . . — Map (db m123450) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Ulric-Joseph Tessier1817-1892
On Rue Saint Louis just from Rue Sainte-Ursule, on the left when traveling east.
French: Conseiller municipal du quartier Saint-Jean à partir de 1846, Ulric-Joseph Tessier est maire de Québec en 1853 et le sera durant un an. Il poursuivre les grands travaux entrepris par ses prédécesseurs: la construction de l’aqueduc, . . . — Map (db m81319) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Urselines de Quebec1658
On Côté de la Montagne just from Rue Notre Dame, on the left when traveling east.
English: This site was ceded to the “Urselines de Quebec” on October 25, 1658 by Governor Dargenson on behalf of the Compagnie de la Nouvelle France “anciennes voutes” French: Cet . . . — Map (db m81497) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — William Drum
On rue Saint-Paul (Quebec Route 136) at rue Abraham Martin, on the right when traveling east on rue Saint-Paul.

Ici vécut William Drum (1808-1876) Manufacturier, il a fait construire en 1867 la plus importante fabrique de meubles au pays sur le site de l'actuel marché du vieux-port

[English . . . — Map (db m123028) HM

Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Wolfe and Montcalm Monument
On Rue des Carrières just from Rue Mont Carmel, on the right when traveling south.
Latin: HUJUSCE MONUMENTI IN MEMORIAM VIRORUM ILLUSTRIUM WOLFE ET MONTCALM FUNDAMENTUM P.C. GEORGIUS COMES DE HALHOUSIE IN SEPTENTRIONALIS AMERICÆ PARTIBUS AD BRITANNOS PERTINENTIBUS SUMMAM RERUM ADMINISTRANS: OPUS . . . — Map (db m81357) WM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Wolfe Monument
On Avenue Wolfe Montcalm at Avenue George VI, in the median on Avenue Wolfe Montcalm.
Four panels are place on this monument to General James Wolfe. English: Here died Wolfe September 13th 1759 This monument was erected by the British Army in Canada A.D. 1849 by his Excellency Lt. Gen. Sir . . . — Map (db m80753) HM WM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Berthier-sur-Mer — Cholera arrives in the AmericasLe choléra arrive en Amérique — 1832 —
On Rue de la Marina.
English: To prevent the disease from spreading to the general population, a military detachment hurriedly set up quarantine facilities on Grosse Île. Temporary wooden buildings were constructed: initially a 40 patient hospital with two . . . — Map (db m80683) HM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Berthier-sur-Mer — Doukhobor ImmigrantsDes immigrants doukhobors — 1899 —
Near Rue de la Marina.
English: On June 6, 1899, some 2,275 Doukhobor immigrants were forced to disembark at Grosse Île. Several cases of smallpox had been observed aboard the Lake Huron since its departure 23 days previously, thus compelling the complete . . . — Map (db m80682) HM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Berthier-sur-Mer — Grosse Île and Immigration to CanadaGrosse-Île et l’immigration au Canada
On Rue de la Marina.
English: Grosse Île and the Irish Memorial National Historic Site commemorates the significant waves of immigration welcomed to Canada between the opening of the 19th century and the First World War. During this period Québec was Canada's . . . — Map (db m80672) HM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Berthier-sur-Mer — The Celtic CrossLa croix celtique — 1909 —
Near Rue de la Marina.
English: Raised in 1909 by members of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, this monument honours the memory of the thousands of Irish immigrants who died on Grosse Île in 1847. Inscriptions in Irish, French and English recall their tragic . . . — Map (db m80684) HM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Berthier-sur-Mer — Veterinarians Mark the History of Animal Health in CanadaLes vétérinaires marquent l’histoire de la santé animale au Canada
On Rue de la Marina.
English: Canadian government veterinarians based on Grosse Île played a major role in protecting animal health in Canada for more than forty years. Their research during the Second World War led, 1946, to the development of a vaccine . . . — Map (db m80681) HM
Quebec (Coaticook MRC), Compton — Louis Stephen St-Laurent1882 - 1973
On Louis-S-St-Laurent Street (Quebec Route 147) 0.1 kilometers south of Hatley Road (Quebec Route 208), on the right when traveling north.
Né à Compton, reçu avocat en 1905, St-Laurent fut a maintes reprises conseiller de grandes compagnies et représenta le gouvernement federal devant le Conseil Prive de Londres. Ministre de la justice (1941-1946), secrétaire d’état aux affaires . . . — Map (db m74537) HM
Quebec (Coaticook MRC), Waterville — École HYATT School
On Chemin McVety 0.1 kilometers west of Quebec Route 147, on the right when traveling west.
The settlement of Milby dates back to the 1790s. This Hyatt One-Room Schoolhouse was built on land originally granted to Loyalist Abraham Hyatt Sr., located in the Hyatt Settlement, now known as Milby. Two brothers, Cornelius and Abraham Jr. . . . — Map (db m74544) HM
Quebec (Côte-Nord), Blanc-Sablon — Blanc-SablonNaishipinut
On Boulevard Docteur-Camille-Marcoux, on the right when traveling north.
English: For nearly nine thousand years, Aboriginal peoples have been drawn to Blanc-Sablon's abundant shoreline resources. Research conducted on more than sixty archaeological sites along the western bank of the Blanc-Sablon River . . . — Map (db m79604) HM
Quebec (Côte-Nord), Blanc-Sablon — Blanc-Sablon National Historic SiteLieu historique national de Blanc-Sablon — Naishipiunt utenau shashish aitashtakanit —
On Boulevard Docteur-Camille-Marcoux, on the right when traveling north.
English: The Blanc-Sablon National Historic Site of Canada, also recognised as Cultural Property in Québec, holds a signifiant place in the history of the Quebec- Labrador coast. Artefacts found at this site represent 9,000 years of . . . — Map (db m79605) HM
Quebec (de Roussillon MRC), La Prairie — Second Battle of La Prairie
On St-Jean Road (Quebec Route 104) at de la Bataille Road North, on the right when traveling west on St-Jean Road.
French text on marker appears above English text below On August 11th, 1691, a few hours after the attack on Fort La Prairie, Major Peter Schuyler and his Indians suffered a severe defeat at the hands of the French and their indian allies, . . . — Map (db m75315) HM WM
Quebec (Drummond MRC), Wickham — Des ormes et des hommes / Elms and MenUne page de notre histoire / A page of our history — Wickham 1865-2015 —
On Rue Blanchard (10th Place) just east of Rue Principale (Main Street) (Quebec Route 139), on the left when traveling east.
Français: L'œuvre commémorant le 150e anniversaire de Wickham en 2015 réalisée par François Daigneault représente les 150 premières années de la municipalité. Cet artiste et concepteur a consacré onze mois de travail pour ce grand . . . — Map (db m142803) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie), Gaspé — Jacques Cartier MonumentNational Historic Site of Canada
On Boulevard de Gaspé just from Rue Bossé.
This monument is composed of six stelae. (Stelae 1) French: Dans leur variété féconde leur diversité et l'intluence réciproque quélles exercent les unes sur les autres toutes les cultures font partié du patrimoine . . . — Map (db m94675) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Gaspé — Jacque Cartier
On Montée de Wakeham (Quebec Route 198), on the right when traveling east.
English: In commemoration of the Four Hundredth Anniversary of the landing of Jaques Cartier at the entrance to this harbour on 24th July, 1534. French: Pour commémorer le quatre centième anniversaire de l’atterrissage de . . . — Map (db m80666) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Gaspé — Jacques Cartier at GaspeJacques Cartier à Gaspé
Near Boulevard de Gaspé (Quebec Route 132).
English: On 14 July 1534, the two ships commanded by Jacques Cartier of Saint-Malo sought shelter in Gaspé Bay, where they remained for eleven days. Here Cartier met and established friendly relations with a large fishing party of St. . . . — Map (db m80667) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Percé — 350ᵉ anniversaire de la visite de François de Montmorency-Laval
On Quebec Route 132 just from Rue du Mont Joli, on the right when traveling north.
Commémoration le 16 mai 2009 à Percé du 350ᵉ anniversaire de la visite de François de Montmorency-Laval (Montigny-sur-Avre, 1623 - Québec, 1708) nommé Vicaire Apostolique de la Nouvelle-France en 1658 et Sacré premier évêque de . . . — Map (db m80648) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Percé — A Rock Forever Sculpted by Time and TideUn rocher sans cesse sculpté, au fil du temps et des marées — Parc National de l’Île-Bonaventure-et-du-Rocher-Percé —
Near Rue du Mont Joli just from Quebec Route 132.
English: From the days of New France to today, many have spoken of its shape. “We came to Isle Percée… a very tall rock, with two steep sides and pierced by hole through which long boats and ships may pass at high . . . — Map (db m80647) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Percé — Edmund James Flynn(1847-1927) — 10ᵉ Premier Ministre du Québec —
On Quebec Route 132 just from Rue du Quai, on the right when traveling north.
À la memoire d’un illustre enfant de Percé Edmund James Flynn (1847-1927) 10ᵉ Premier Ministre du Québec Fils de James Flynn, pêcheur, et d’Elizabeth Tostevin, originaire de Guernesey, Edmund James Flynn et né . . . — Map (db m80649) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Percé — Percé Great War Memorial1914 - 1918
On Rue du Mont Joli just from Quebec Route 132, on the left when traveling east.
English: To Commemorate the valour of Officers and Men of Percé who fought in the Great War with his Majesty’s Forces for honour and freedom Our heroic dead French: En mémoire de la vaillance des officiers et soldats de . . . — Map (db m80643) WM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Percé — Percé World War II Monument1939-1945
On Rue du Mont Joli just from Quebec Route 132, on the left when traveling east.
English: This plaque commemorates the heroism of the men and women of Percé who served voluntarily in the Canadian Armed Forces. French: Cette plaque rappelle l’héroroîsme des hommes et des femmes de Percé qui son servi . . . — Map (db m80644) WM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Percé — William Edmond Logan1798 - 1875
On Rue du Mont Joli just from Quebec Route 132, on the left when traveling east.
English: Sent abroad from his native Montreal to complete his education, Logan established a reputation as a map maker and geologist in the mining districts of Wales which led to his appointment as the first Director of the Geological . . . — Map (db m80645) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Pointe-à-la-Croix — The Battle of the RestigoucheLa Bataille de la Ristigouche
Near Boulevard Perron Ouest (Quebec Route 132), on the left when traveling west.
English: In May 1760 a French relief fleet, unable to reach Quebec, took refuge at the head of Chaleur Bay. It was there that a British squadron blockaded them on June 22. Aided by Acadians and Micmacs, the French planted batteries on the . . . — Map (db m80582) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Lacolle — Bataille du Moulin de Lacolle / Battle of the Lacolle Mill
On Quebec Route 223 at Quebec Route 202, on the right when traveling south on Provincial Route 223.
Sur ce site, le 30 mars 1814, le major R.B. Handcock, avec quelque 500 soldats du 13e régiment des Royal Marines, de Canadian Fencibles, des Voltigeurs ainsi que des Indiens, a combattu vigoureusement contre 4,000 soldats . . . — Map (db m74538) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Lacolle — 15 — Blockhaus de la Rivière-LacolleLacolle Mills Blockhouse
Near Montée Bowman just from Rue Principale (Quebec Route 223).
English: Built prior to the War of 1812, the Lacolle Blockhouse is one of the last military defense works of its kind still standing in Canada. After the American invasion of 1775 and 1776, the British authorities wished to exert better . . . — Map (db m82069) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Lacolle — Blockhaus de la Rivière-LacolleThe Lacolle River Blockhouse
On Montée Bowman just from Rue Principale (Quebec Route 223).
English: The Lacolle River Blockhouse Back in the XVIII Century … In Canada, blockhouses first appeared in Acadia around 1750, at the time of the British conquest. The Lacolle River blockhouse, built in 1781, was part of the . . . — Map (db m82728) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Lacolle — La Bataille d’Odelltown / Battle of Odelltown
On Quebec Route 221 at Montée d'Odelltown, on the right when traveling south on Provincial Route 221.
Après l’échec de l’insurrection de 1837, des membres du parti des patriotes, rassembles aux États-Unis sous la conduite de Robert Nelson, proclamèrent la République du Bas-Canada et tentèrent de renverser le gouvernement. L’invasion de 1838, . . . — Map (db m77848) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Noyan — Caldwell Manor
On Chemin de la Petite France (Quebec Route 225) at Quebec Route 202, on the right when traveling north on Chemin de la Petite France.
One of the first United Empire Loyalist settlements was formed here during and after the American Revolution (1775–1783). Many soldiers and others were transported by the warship Maria. Un des premiers lieux peuplés par des . . . — Map (db m109423) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Saint-Cyprien-de-Napierville — Louis CyrThe World's Strongest Man
On Louis-Cyr Road (Quebec Route 221) 3 kilometers north of 3rd Line Road, on the right when traveling north.
Louis Cyr was born here, in Saint-Cyprien-de-Napierville, on October 10, 1863. By the age of 12, he was working in a logging camp in the winter and on the family farm the rest of the year. He enjoyed impressing his fellow workers with shows of his . . . — Map (db m89790) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Saint-Jean — Fort Saint-Jean
Near Jacques-Cartier Street North 0.5 kilometers north of Vanier Street.
{French text} L'état de guerre avec les Iroquois incita les Français à bâtir un fort à Saint-Jean en 1666. Un nouveau fort fut érigé en 1748 afin de protéger la colonie française contre les expéditions militaires britanniques qui remontaient . . . — Map (db m77015) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu — First Railway in Canada
On Rue Frontenac at Jacques-Cartier Nord, on the right when traveling west on Rue Frontenac.
Canada's first steam railway, the Champlain and St. Lawrence, was opened in 1836 to better facilitate trade with the United States. It was built by promoters led by brewer John Molson and merchant-forwarder Jason C. Pierce. This 23-kilometre line . . . — Map (db m74533) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu — Former Grand Trunk Railway Station
On Rue Frontenac at Jacques-Cartier Nord, on the right when traveling west on Rue Frontenac.
The Saint-Jean station, built in 1890, symbolizes the presence of the Grand Trunk Railway in Québec before its amalgamation in 1923 with the Canadian National Railways. The Grand Trunk was incorporated in 1853 to provide service through the Province . . . — Map (db m74534) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix — 16 — Chantier Naval de Île-aux-NoixThe Île-aux-Noix Naval Shipyard
Near 61st Avenue just from Rue Principale (Quebec Route 223).
English: When war was declared between the United States and England, in June of 1812, Canada again risked being attacked from the south. The Lake Champlain-Richelieu River corridor represented the easiest way to invade Montrêal. . . . — Map (db m82067) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix — Fort LennoxLe Fort Lennox
On 61st Avenue just from Rue Principale (Quebec Route 223).
English: Fort Lennox was the third fortification built on Isle-aux-Noix as a barrier to invasion along the Richelieu River from the south. The island was first fortified by the French in 1759 but the British captured it the next year. In . . . — Map (db m82065) HM
Quebec (Haut-Richelieu MRC), Saint-Paul-de-l'Île-aux-Noix — The Royal Navy
Near 61st Avenue just from Rue Principale (Quebec Route 223).
English: In enduring memory of the services of the officiers, seamen, and soldiers of the Royal Navy, Provincial Marine, and Royal Marines, who fought in defence of Canada on Lake Champlain in 1776-77 and 1812-1814. French: . . . — Map (db m82066) WM
Quebec (Kamouraska MRC), Saint-André — L'Église de Saint-André / The Church of Saint-André
On Rue du Cap just east of Rue Principale (Quebec Route 132), on the left when traveling east.
Français: Cette 'église, construite entre 1805 et 1811 pour remplacer une chapelle datant de 1791, rappelle les églises du Régime français érigées selon le plan récollet. Elle comprend une nef sans transept se terminant sur une . . . — Map (db m139483) HM
Quebec (Kamouraska MRC), Saint-Denis-de-la-Bouteillerie — Jean-Charles Chapais(1811-1885)
On Quebec Route 132 north of Route de la Grève (Quebec Route 287), on the left when traveling north.
Français: Né à Rivière-Ouelle, Chapais s'établit à Saint-Denis, où il devint un marchand prospère et un politicien influent. Il promut activement le développement économique et culturel de sa région natale. Reconnu pour sa . . . — Map (db m139496) HM
Quebec (La Côte-de-Beaupré MRC), Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre — La première église de Sainte-Anne-de-BeaupréThe First Church of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré
On avenue Royale (Quebec Route 360) just east of rue du Sanctuaire, on the right when traveling east.

La première église de Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, construite en 1658, s'élevait ici. ————————————— Here stood the first church of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, built in . . . — Map (db m123398) HM

Quebec (La Côte-de-Gaspé MRC), Cap-des-Rosiers — Carricks of Whitehaven Shipwreck Memorial
Near Quebec Route 132, on the left when traveling south.
Sacred to the memory of 187 Irish Immigrants from Sligo wrecked here on April 28th 1847 Ship Carricks of Whitehaven 87 are buried here

Pray for their souls

Erected by Parishioners of St Patricks Parish . . . — Map (db m22854) HM

Quebec (La Côte-de-Gaspé MRC), Cap-des-Rosiers — La tour - La "light" / The tower - The light

La tour Vers le milieu du 19e siècle, on érigea dix phares majeurs dans le secteur des Grands Lacs et du nord du golfe Saint-Laurent, tous selon des méthodes de construction assez similaires. Ces phares furent nommés « . . . — Map (db m129860) HM

Quebec (La Côte-de-Gaspé MRC), Cap-des-Rosiers — Le criard / Fog horn

Même si le phare de Cap-des-Rosiers projetait l'un des rayons de lumière les plus puissants de la colonie à l'époque de sa mise en opération, il n'en demeurait pas moins que le brouillard constituait toujours un écueil majeur à la . . . — Map (db m129248) HM

Quebec (La Côte-de-Gaspé MRC), Cap-des-Rosiers — Passer le cap / Keeping on course

Cap-des-Rosiers : Selon plusieurs, c'est à Champlain que l'on doit le nom de notre village. Il l'aurait nommé ainsi, en 1632, en raison de l'abondance des rosiers sauvages qui recouvraient la falaise...

Or, malgré cette appellation . . . — Map (db m129854) HM

Quebec (La Côte-de-Gaspé MRC), Cap-des-Rosiers — Cloche du "Carrick's" voilier Irlandais / Bell of the "Carrick's" Irish Sailboat

Cloche du "Carrick's" voilier Irlandais qui fit naufrage à Cap_des_Rosiers le 28 avril 1847 retrouvée à Blanc Sablon par M. Alphonse Ruest le 24 septembre . . . — Map (db m129117) HM

Quebec (La Côte-de-Gaspé MRC), Cap-des-Rosiers — Gaspé, une ville au coeur de la découverteGaspé, a city in the heart of discovery

Gaspé est une ville historique qui mérite d'être connue et visitée. C'est le 24 juillet de l'an 1534 que Jacques Cartier planta, sur les rives de la baie de Gaspé, une croix au nom du roi de France, François 1er. Cet . . . — Map (db m129107) HM

Quebec (La Côte-de-Gaspé MRC), Cap-des-Rosiers — Hommages aux Anciens / Honoring Our PioneersSt-Alban • Cap-des-Rosiers — 1872 • 1972 —
On boulevard Cap-des-Rosiers (Quebec Route 132), on the right when traveling south.

[Title is text]

[Fisherman and dory bas relief] — Map (db m129105) HM

Quebec (La Côte-de-Gaspé MRC), Cap-des-Rosiers — Le phare de Cap des Rosiers Lighthouse

Érigé en 1858, ce phare fait partie de la série des hautes tours effilées construites dans le golfe Saint-Laurent et le lac Huron par le ministère des Travaux publics. Ses 112 pieds de hauteur en font le plus haut phare du Canada. Ses . . . — Map (db m129235) HM

Quebec (La Côte-de-Gaspé MRC), Gaspé — Rodolphe Lemieux(1866-1937)
On rue de la Reine just east of rue Adams, on the left when traveling east.

Deputé de Gaspé (1896-1911, 1917-1930) et de Rouville (1911-1917) à la Chambre des communes, Rodolphe Lemieux fut solliciteur général, ministre des Postes et du Travail et ministre de la Marine. Il occupa la présidence des Communes de . . . — Map (db m129182) HM

Quebec (La Haute-Gaspésie MRC), Cap-Chat — Consecration de l'eglise paroissiale de Cap-ChatConsecration of the Cap-Chat Parish Church — 1864 - 1964 —
On rue Notre Dame (Quebec Route 132) at rue de l'Église, on the right when traveling east on rue Notre Dame.

Consecration de l'eglise paroissiale de Cap-Chat a l'occasion du centenaire d'erection de la pariosse

"L'an du Seigneur mil neuf cent soixante-quatre le vingt-sixième jour de mois d'aout, Moi Paul Bernier . . . — Map (db m129087) HM

Quebec (La Haute-Gaspésie MRC), Rivière-à-Claude — Rivière-à-Claude Sesquicentennial1844 • ( 150 ) • 1994
On rue Principale Est (Quebec Route 132) at route Castonguay, on the right when traveling east on rue Principale Est.

Ils sont venus, ils sont restés avec la foi en Dieu et le respect du prochain, ils ont bâti notre village.

Hubert Castonguay 1844 Thimothée Auclair 1856 Germain Pelletier 1862 Ephrem Bernier 1863 Vital Rioux 1865 . . . — Map (db m129092) HM

Quebec (La Matanie MRC), Matane — Ancre de la goélette Jean EudesAnchor of the schooner Jean Eudes
On avenue du Phare Ouest (Quebec Route 132) just east of boulevard Dion, on the left when traveling east.

Ancre de la goélette Jean Eudes dont le dernier propriétaire fut le capitaine Henri Piuze, de Matane

[English translation]

Anchor of the schooner Jean Eudes whose last owner was the . . . — Map (db m129016) HM

Quebec (La Matanie MRC), Matane — Les gardiens de phare / The Lighthouse Keepers
On avenue du Phare Ouest (Quebec Route 132) just east of boulevard Dion, on the left when traveling east.

Les exigences du métier Le travail de gardien de phare était fort exigeant. Quand une tempête faisait rage, le gardien passait souvent plusieurs jours et plusieurs nuits sans fermer l'œil. Les tâches quotidiennes étaient aussi . . . — Map (db m129052) HM

Quebec (La Matanie MRC), Matane — Les moyens de comunication / Methods of Communication
On avenue du Phare Ouest (Quebec Route 132) just east of boulevard Dion, on the left when traveling east.

[Côté gauche du marqueur] • Modèle de lanterne que l'on fixait à un mât.

• Une simple lanterne au bout du quai fixée à un mât guidait les navires pour entrer dans le havre.

• Pendant longtemps, il y avait ici et là sur . . . — Map (db m129042) HM

Quebec (La Matanie MRC), Matane — Parc Octavia-Roy-Desjardins Park
On avenue du Phare Ouest (Quebec Route 132) just east of boulevard Dion, on the left when traveling east.

Épouse de Joseph Banville, deuxieme gardien du phare. Parfaitement bilingue, elle est responsable du telegraphe du phare et de la tenue des registres requis par le ministere de la Marine et des Pecheries.

[English . . . — Map (db m129038) HM

Quebec (La Matanie MRC), Matane — Un feu dans la nuit / A Light in the Night
On avenue du Phare Ouest just east of boulevard Dion, on the left when traveling east.

[Côté gauche du marqueur] • Le premier phare de Matane s'intégrait dans un réseau de phares construits sur les rives de l'estuaire et du golfe du Saint-Laurent en Gaspésie. Comme l'architecture du phare était simple et la . . . — Map (db m129048) HM

Quebec (La Matanie MRC), Saint-Ulric — L'église / The ChurchSaint-Ulric — La mer, le vent, c'est dans notre nature/The sea, the wind, it's in our nature —
On avenue Ulric Tessier just west of rue de Près, on the right when traveling west.

L'église de Saint-Ulric, de style néoclassique, constitue un joyau du patrimoine religieux qui date de 1878. En pénétrant dans cette magnifique église, vous serez touchés par l'architecture et l'atmosphère de paix que dégagent ses . . . — Map (db m129015) HM

Quebec (La Mitis MRC), Grand-Métis — Les Jardins de Métis
Near Quebec Route 132 at Quebec Route 234, on the right when traveling west.
Created by Elsie Reford between 1926 and 1958, these gardens are an inspired example of the English art of the garden. Woven into a natural setting, a series of gardens display perennials, trees and shrubs. A crab-apple orchard, a rock garden and . . . — Map (db m80669) HM
Quebec (La Mitis MRC), Sainte-Flavie — La grange à dîme / The Tithe BarnSainte-Flavie, "Porte de la Gaspésie"
On route Flavie-Drapeau just east of route de la Mer, on the left when traveling east.

Un patrimoine à conserver

Dans le langage courant du XIXe siècle, on l'appelait aussi « hangar à grains ». L'état actuel des recherches historiques ne permet pas d'établir avec précision le moment de la construction de . . . — Map (db m129008) HM

Quebec (La Mitis MRC), Sainte-Flavie — La maison du bedeau / The Sexton's HouseSainte-Flavie, "Porte de la Gaspésie"
On route de la Mer (Quebec Route 132) at route Flavie-Drapeau, on the left when traveling north on route de la Mer.

Une maison du XIXe siècle

Cette petite maison québécoise a été construite à l'été 1849. Ce style architectural apparaît dans la région au début du XIXe siècle. Selon l'historien Michel Lessard, il . . . — Map (db m128985) HM

Quebec (La Mitis MRC), Sainte-Flavie — La maison LangloisSainte-Flavie, "Porte de la Gaspésie"
On route de la Mer (Quebec Route 132) just south of route Flavie-Drapeau, on the left when traveling north.

Résidence aux multiples vocations

Cette résidence de style cubique a été construite vers 1915. Elle a d'abord hébergé le notaire Joseph Arthur Rioux et sa femme Agnès Langlois. L'architecture et la taille de la maison . . . — Map (db m128975) HM


397 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 197
Paid Advertisement