Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
After filtering for Virginia, 1091 entries match your criteria. Entries 201 through 300 are listed. ⊲ Previous 100Next 100 

 
 

Churches & Religion Topic

 
Moseley Rd (facing north) image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, March 18, 2010
Moseley Rd (facing north)
201 Virginia, Chesterfield County, Moseley — O-67 — Skinquarter Baptist Church
On Moseley Road (Virginia Route 605) 0.4 miles north of Skinquarter Road (Virginia Route 603), on the left when traveling north.
Pastor William Hickman and about 30 people founded Skinquarter Baptist Church in 1778. The first meetinghouse was located east of the church's cemetery. Hickman moved to Kentucky in 1784 and was an early Baptist leader there. Due to anti-missionary . . . Map (db m28921) HM
202 Virginia, Chesterfield County, North Chesterfield — O-27 — Bethlehem Baptist Church
On Midlothian Turnpike (U.S. 60) at Moorefield Park Drive, on the right when traveling west on Midlothian Turnpike. Reported permanently removed.
Formerly Spring Creek Church. Organized, July 25, 1790. Benjamin Watkins, founder and first pastor, 1790-1831. Located four miles northwest, 1790-1855. Then four miles southwest, 1855-1897. Moved to this location, 1897. Home church of Nannie . . . Map (db m31545) HM
203 Virginia, Chesterfield County, North Chesterfield — O-27 — Bethlehem Baptist Church
On Midlothian Turnpike (U.S. 60) 0.2 miles west of Tuxford Road, on the right when traveling west.
Bethlehem Baptist Church, first known as Cox's Meeting House and then Spring Creek Church, was formally organized several miles northwest of here in 1790. Founding pastor Benjamin Watkins served for 41 years. African Americans constituted a . . . Map (db m170046) HM
204 Virginia, Chesterfield County, Richmond — "A Very Neat Chapel"
Near Fort Darling Road, 0.5 miles north of Bellwood Road.
The little white chapel that stood here was built by soldiers of the garrison and held 150 people. Different ministers came from Richmond each week to preach. A small burial ground was located just 50 yards beyond the chapel—a reminder that . . . Map (db m37025) HM
205 Virginia, Chesterfield County, Richmond — O-37 — Providence United Methodist Church
On South Providence Road near Midlothian, on the right when traveling north.
Established by 1807, the Providence Church congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church became one of the first Methodist congregations in Chesterfield County to build a permanent house of worship when it constructed a meeting house here before . . . Map (db m22698) HM
206 Virginia, Clarke County, Berryville — J-1a — Buck Marsh Baptist Church
On Lord Fairfax Highway (U.S. 340) at Trapp Hill Road (County Route 729), on the right when traveling south on Lord Fairfax Highway.
Organized near this spot by Wm. and Daniel Fristoe in 1772. Constituted by elders John Marks and John Garrard, the later serving as its pastor. James Ireland served as pastor from 1778–1806 and is buried here.Map (db m1831) HM
207 Virginia, Clarke County, Berryville — Historic DistrictsDriving & Walking Tours
On East Main Street (Virginia Route 7B) 0.1 miles west of Page Street, on the right when traveling west.
Clarke County is proud to be home to two historic driving tours. They include all four of our historically designated towns and villages. Combined with the National Register Historic Districts of which they are part, they make up over 38 percent . . . Map (db m157718) HM
208 Virginia, Clarke County, Berryville — James IrelandMinister of the Gospel
On Academy Street west of Lord Fairfax Highway (U.S. 340), on the right when traveling west.
In memory of 1746 James Ireland 1806 Minister of the Gospel Born in Edinburgh, Scotland and converted in Frederick County, Va. Baptized and ordained at Sandy Creek, N.C. Imprisoned at Culpeper, Va. for preaching the gospel organizer . . . Map (db m221644) HM
Paid Advertisement
209 Virginia, Clarke County, Boyce — T-2 — Old Chapel
On Bishop Meade Road (Virginia Route 255) at Lord Fairfax Highway (U.S. 340), on the left when traveling north on Bishop Meade Road. Reported missing.
Lord Fairfax worshipped here in the “Old Chapel” of colonial Frederick Parish, established 1738. This stone building dates from 1790 and witnessed the early ministry (1810–1885) of Bishop Meade. Governor Edmund Randolph and Col. Nathaniel Burwell . . . Map (db m1852) HM
210 Virginia, Clarke County, Boyce — T-2 — Old Chapel
On Bishop Meade Road (Virginia Route 255) at Lord Fairfax Highway (U.S. 340), on the right when traveling south on Bishop Meade Road.
The Virginia General established Frederick Parish in 1738, and a log sanctuary was built here ca. 1747. A stone church, later known as Old Chapel, replaced the log building ca. 1793. The Rev. William Meade served the congregation for about 25 years . . . Map (db m230298) HM
211 Virginia, Clarke County, Millwood — T-1 — Carter Hall
On Bishop Meade Highway (Virginia Route 255) at Carter Hall Lane, on the right when traveling north on Bishop Meade Highway.
Col. Nathaniel Burwell, great-grandson of Robert "King" Carter, constructed Carter Hall in the mid-1790s after moving here from Tidewater Virginia. Edmund Randolph Governor of Virginia, U.S. Attorney General, and U.S. Secretary of State, died here . . . Map (db m72942) HM
212 Virginia, Clarke County, Millwood — B-38 — Greenway Historic District
On John Mosby Highway (U.S. 17 / 50) at Bishop Meade Road (Virginia Route 255), on the right when traveling west on John Mosby Highway.
This 30-square-mile scenic landscape illustrates the evolution of a unique rural community. Unlike the rest of the Shenandoah Valley, where mostly Scots-Irish and German immigrants settled on small farms, Virginia Tidewater gentry occupied most of . . . Map (db m1848) HM
213 Virginia, Clarke County, Wickliffe — Wickliffe ChurchClarke Episcopal Parish
On Wickliffe Road (County Route 608), on the right when traveling north.
1819 Original stone building 1846 Present brick building 1919 Chapel of Grace Church Annual homecoming service second Sunday in AugustMap (db m19067) HM
214 Virginia, Culpeper County, Brandy Station — St. James Episcopal Church
On St. James Church Road (Virginia Route 676) 0.2 miles north of Beverly Ford Road (Virginia Route 677), on the left when traveling north.
Original Site of St. James Episcopal Church 1840-1863Map (db m82295) HM
215 Virginia, Culpeper County, Culpeper — Historic Antioch Baptist Church
On South West Street at Culpeper Street, on the right when traveling south on South West Street.
Among the oldest churches in Culpeper, Antioch Baptist Church originated in the 1850's. Separated from the Mount Pony Baptist Church, Antioch was first called "The African Church," organized in 1859. The first congregation, also referred to as free . . . Map (db m12687) HM
216 Virginia, Culpeper County, Culpeper — F-25A — Mitchells Presbyterian Church
On Zachary Taylor Highway (U.S. 522) at Winston Road (Virginia Route 617) on Zachary Taylor Highway.
Built in 1879, this Gothic Revival church stands two miles south of this location. It contains an elaborate example of trompe-l’oeil fresco painting done in 1888. Joseph Dominick Phillip Oddenino, an Italian immigrant artist, painted to . . . Map (db m23192) HM
217 Virginia, Culpeper County, Culpeper — St. Stephen’s Episcopal Rectory702 South East Street — South East Street Historic District —
On South East Street just south of East Asher Street, on the right when traveling south.
This house is a contributing building to the South East Historic District designated as a Virginia Historic Landmark and placed on the National Register of Historic PlacesMap (db m170731) HM
Paid Advertisement
218 Virginia, Culpeper County, Culpeper — The Blair Property and Sugar BottomEarly 1900's and Today — Town of Culpeper, Virginia —
On South West Street at West Culpeper Street, on the right when traveling north on South West Street.
This area of Downtown Culpeper is historically known as "Sugar Bottom," home to many of Culpeper's black Americans around 1900. Former residents refer to this enclave as a friendly neighborhood, where everybody knew everybody, the church was the . . . Map (db m170189) HM
219 Virginia, Culpeper County, Lignum — Ebenezer Baptist ChurchPillar of the African American Community
On Maddens Tavern Road at Youngs Lane, on the left when traveling north on Maddens Tavern Road.
Following the end of the Civil War in 1865, Willis Madden, a free black man of color, built the African Ebenezer Church. The building had a half acre around it, and it was to be "Devoted to the preaching of the Gospel, as long as the colored . . . Map (db m185518) HM
220 Virginia, Culpeper County, Mitchells — F-25 — Mitchells Presbyterian Church
On Mitchell Road (Virginia Route 652) east of Hardy Lane (Virginia Route 651), on the left when traveling east.
This Gothic Revival church, built in 1879, contains an elaborate example of trompe-l’oeil fresco painting done in 1888. Joseph Dominick Phillip Oddenino, an Italian immigrant artist, painted to deceive the eye into believing that his plaster . . . Map (db m122068) HM
221 Virginia, Culpeper County, Rapidan — F-21 — Crooked Run Baptist Church
On James Madison Highway (U.S. 15), on the right when traveling south.
Crooked Run Baptist Church was organized in 1772 and is named for the stream that flows nearby. James Garnett Sr., one of the early pastors, served the congregation from 1774 until close to his death in 1830. Another member, Thomas Ammon, became a . . . Map (db m4737) HM
222 Virginia, Culpeper County, Rixeyville — G-9 — Little Fork Church
On Rixeyville Road (Virginia Route 229) at Little Fork Church Road (County Route 726) on Rixeyville Road.
One-half mile east stands Little Fork Espiscopal Church, begun 1753, destroyed by fire in 1773. Present structure completed in 1776.Map (db m2683) HM
223 Virginia, Culpeper County, Stevensburg — Religion in StevensburgSt. Stevens Baptist Church
On York Road (State Road 600) at Germanna Highway (State Highway 3), on the right when traveling east on York Road.
Before the creation of independent African American churches throughout Virginia, the enslaved often attended church with their owners. Laws regulating African American gatherings and worship became increasingly strict in the 1830s following "Nat . . . Map (db m152626) HM
224 Virginia, Culpeper County, Stevensburg — Religion in StevensburgStevensburg Baptist Church
On York Road (State Road 600) at Germanna Highway (State Highway 3), on the right when traveling east on York Road.
On October 23, 1833, Pastors Thornton Stringfellow and John Churchill Gordon organized Stevensburg Baptist Church. The congregation elected Stringfellow as the pastor for the new church and split from Mount Pony Baptist Church, which had relocated . . . Map (db m152627) HM
225 Virginia, Cumberland County, Cumberland — MJ 5 — Lucyville
On Trents Mill Road (County Route 622) at Oak Hill Road (County Route 629), on the right when traveling south on Trents Mill Road.
The Rev. Reuben T. Coleman, enslaved at birth, became an entrepreneur after the Civil War. About 1.5 miles north of here he established Lucyville, named for his daughter, which in the 1890s featured a bank, post office, newspaper, and mineral . . . Map (db m247281) HM
226 Virginia, Cumberland County, Farmville — Cumberland ChurchUnion Closes In — Lee’s Retreat —
On Cumberland Road (Virginia Route 45), on the left when traveling north.
Here at Cumberland Church, in the afternoon of April 7, 1865, part of the Army of Northern Virginia entrenched to protect the route west to Appomattox Station, where supplies awaited the men. The Confederate line, across the road behind you, . . . Map (db m171712) HM
Paid Advertisement
227 Virginia, Cumberland County, Farmville — O-52 — Engagement at Cumberland Presbyterian Church7 April 1865
On Cumberland Road (Virginia Route 45), on the right when traveling south.
After successfully crossing the Appomattox River at nearby High Bridge, Maj. Gen. Andrew A. Humphreys’ II Corps attacked Confederate forces under Maj. Gen. William Mahone that were entrenched on the high ground around Cumberland Presbyterian Church. . . . Map (db m11861) HM
228 Virginia, Cumberland County, Farmville — MJ-3 — Samuel P. Bolling(1819-1900)
On Cumberland Road (Virginia Route 45) north of Thompson Road (County Road 699), on the right when traveling south.
Samuel P. Bolling was born enslaved in Cumberland County and became a skilled mechanic. After the Civil War he purchased several lots in Farmville, where he established a successful brickyard by 1874. He later acquired more than 1,000 acres in . . . Map (db m238093) HM
229 Virginia, Danville — Q-43 — Averett University
On West Main Street (Virginia Route 293) just south of Woodland Drive, on the right when traveling west.
The Virginia General Assembly chartered Union Female College, forerunner of Averett University, in 1859. Supported by the Concord, Dan River, and Roanoke Baptist Associations, the school offered preparatory and collegiate instruction to young women. . . . Map (db m171815) HM
230 Virginia, Danville — Q-100 — High Street Baptist Church
On High Street near North Ridge Street, on the left when traveling north.
In 1865 emancipated African Americans withdrew from First Baptist Church, where they had worshiped from the balcony, and founded a congregation later known as High Street Baptist Church. Members erected their first sanctuary here in 1873. Fire . . . Map (db m104466) HM
231 Virginia, Danville — Q 5C — Loyal Baptist Church
On Loyal Street south of Lynn Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Loyal Street Baptist Church congregation, which was organized between 1865 and 1866 on Old Hospital-Dance Hill by former slaves, built its church here in 1870. Worship continued at this site until 1924 when the congregation moved to Holbrook . . . Map (db m66036) HM
232 Virginia, Danville — Main Street Methodist Episcopal Church
On Main Street (Virginia Route 293) 0.1 miles north of Jefferson Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior circa 1865 Main Street Methodist Episcopal Church has been registered as a Virginia . . . Map (db m171913) HM
233 Virginia, Danville — Pittsylvania County
On Sutherlin Avenue south of Main Street (Virginia Route 293), on the left when traveling north.
The Town of Chatham has served as the seat of Pittsylvania County government since 1777. It is rich in history with architecturally significant pre-Revolution, Federal, Victorian and post-Victorian houses. Brochures for self-guided walking . . . Map (db m171909) HM
234 Virginia, Danville — L-53 — Saponi Religious Beliefs Explained
On U.S. 29 at Danville Expressway (U.S. 58), on the right when traveling north on U.S. 29. Reported missing.
On 12-15 October 1728, Col. William Byrd II and his party camped just west of here while surveying the Virginia-North Carolina boundary. Bearskin, Byrd's Saponi guide, described his tribe's religious beliefs, which, wrote Byrd in his diary, . . . Map (db m66052) HM
235 Virginia, Dickenson County, Meade — Dickenson County — The Crooked Road — Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail —
On Dickenson Highway (Virginia Route 83) east of Red Onion Prison Road (Virginia Route 361), on the right.
Dickenson County.The traditional music of Dickenson County has a special sound. Based upon tones from the Primitive Baptist and “Dunkard“ churches, this sound has influenced singers in the string bands of the region. The most . . . Map (db m90774) HM
Paid Advertisement
236 Virginia, Dinwiddie County, Dinwiddie — S-42 — Gravelly Run Quaker Meeting House
On Boydton Plank Road (U.S. 1) at Quaker Road, on the right when traveling south on Boydton Plank Road.
Quakers began settling the region by the end of the 17th century. Named for nearby Gravelly Run stream, the meetinghouse was built by 1767. It became the religious center for the Quakers in Dinwiddie and surrounding counties. In the early 1800s the . . . Map (db m17662) HM
237 Virginia, Dinwiddie County, McKenney — K-303 — Butterwood Chapel
On Darvills Road (Virginia Route 40) at Zilles Road (Virginia Route 642), on the right when traveling east on Darvills Road.
Butterwood Chapel, one of three Anglican chapels constructed in Dinwiddie County in the 18th century, was built by 1763 on or near this site. It probably was the first church built after the creation of Bath Parish in 1742. The Reverend Devereux . . . Map (db m31054) HM
238 Virginia, Dinwiddie County, McKenney — S-40 — Sapony Episcopal Church
On Shippings Road (Virginia Route 709) at McKenney Highway (Virginia Route 40), on the right when traveling north on Shippings Road.
Sapony Episcopal Church stands approximately 1.5 miles to the north. This simple frame building was first constructed in 1725-1726. The Rev. Devereux Jarratt served as rector here and at two other congregations in Dinwiddie County from 1763 until . . . Map (db m26841) HM
239 Virginia, Dinwiddie County, Petersburg — The Battle of Reams StationOak Grove United Methodist Church
Near Reams Drive (County Route 604) 0.1 miles west of Halifax Road (Route 606), on the right when traveling west. Reported permanently removed.
In front of you is second location where the original church building stood after the Civil War. The first location was east of here and across the Civil War-era Halifax Road (now Acorn Drive). It was built around 1820 and first known as Hubbard's . . . Map (db m13793) HM
240 Virginia, Dinwiddie County, Sutherland — 16 — Rocky Branch SchoolSutherland, Virginia — Dinwiddie County
On Rocky Branch Road (Virginia Route 636) 0.3 miles south of New Cox Road (U.S. 460), on the left when traveling south. Reported permanently removed.
In 1911 a group of Dinwiddie County’s African-American residents established the Rocky Branch School in Sutherland. The school was a typical two-room schoolhouse. It had been moved from original location across from Ocran Methodist Church on . . . Map (db m26833) HM
241 Virginia, Dinwiddie County, Sutherland — DN2 — Rocky Branch SchoolSutherland, Virginia — Dinwiddie County —
On Rocky Branch Road (Virginia Route 636) 0.3 miles south of Cox Road (U.S. 460), on the left when traveling south.
In 1911 a group of Dinwiddie County's African American residents established the Rocky Branch School in Sutherland. The school was a typical two-room schoolhouse. It had been moved from its original location across the Ocran Methodist Church . . . Map (db m180077) HM
242 Virginia, Dinwiddie County, Wilsons — The Burning of White Oak Methodist Church
Near White Oak Church Road (Virginia Route 620) 0.1 miles south of Cox Road (U.S. 460), on the right when traveling south.
Between Ford and Wilsons stations was 22 year old White Oak Methodist Church. The grounds were used as a wayside hospital for Confederate wounded until burned to the ground on June 23, 1864 by Union cavalry. Built in 1862, the hospital contained . . . Map (db m83639) HM WM
243 Virginia, Emporia — UM-43 — Bishop William McKendree
On South Main Street (U.S. 301) at Greensville Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street.
William McKendree was born in King William County in 1757. He soon moved with his family to present-day Greensville County, and later served in the Revolutionary War. In 1786, the county licensed him to keep a tavern at his house (12 miles south). . . . Map (db m18943) HM
244 Virginia, Emporia — UM-50 — Chaplain Thomas M. Bulla
On South Main Street (U.S. 301) at Spring Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street.
Thomas McNeill Bulla was born in North Carolina on 4 Jan. 1881. Ordained a Presbyterian minister, he was called here to the First Presbyterian Church of Emporia in 1911. In April 1917, he became chaplain of the 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry . . . Map (db m18955) HM
Paid Advertisement
245 Virginia, Emporia — Shiloh Baptist Church
Near Battery Avenue east of South Main Street (U.S. 301).
In commemoration of the Shiloh Baptist Church Emporia, Virginia Shiloh was one of the first Black churches founded in Greensville County It was founded in 1866 under the leadership of Rev. Ephriam Royal Shiloh moved . . . Map (db m41511) HM
246 Virginia, Essex County, Chance — N-9 — Early Settlement
On Tidewater Trail (U.S. 17) north of Laytons Landing Road, on the right when traveling north.
Two miles east near the river, Richard Coleman planted a frontier settlement and trading post in 1652. By 1660 a church was built, to which every man was required to come armed for protection against the Indians.Map (db m3085) HM
247 Virginia, Essex County, Dunnsville — O-77 — Angel Visit Baptist Church
On Tidewater Trail (U.S. 17) at Muddy Gut Road (Virginia Route 607), on the right when traveling south on Tidewater Trail.
Angel Visit Baptist Church, one of the oldest African American churches in Essex County, was formed in 1866 when African American members withdrew from white-led Ephesus Baptist Church after Emancipation. The congregation purchased land here in 1867 . . . Map (db m194986) HM
248 Virginia, Essex County, Dunnsville — Site of Rappahannock Industrial Academy1902 - 1948
On Tidewater Trail (U.S. 17) near Boston Road (Virginia Route 610), on the right when traveling north.
Founded by Southside Rappahannock Baptist Association Education - The Hope of a Glorious Future Original Trustees Willis Brook • Ned Fitzgerald • C. H. Newman • D.R. Page • Thomas Pollard • J. R. Ruffin • N.A. Wiggins • W. E. Robinson - . . . Map (db m191128) HM
249 Virginia, Essex County, Dunnvsille — O 78 — Rappahannock Industrial Academy
On Tidewater Trail (U.S. 17) 0.2 miles north of Boston Road (Virginia Route 610), on the right when traveling north.
The Southside Rappahannock Baptist Association opened the Rappahannock Industrial Academy here in 1902 to provide secondary education for African Americans at a time when no public high schools were available to them in the area. Supported by . . . Map (db m198433) HM
250 Virginia, Essex County, Loretto — N-23 — Vauter's Church
On US 17 north of Spindle Shop Road, on the right when traveling north.
This was the principal church of St. Anne's Parish, which was formed in 1704 from Sittenburne Parish and encompassed Essex County. According to tradition, part of the present church was built about 1719 with an addition constructed in 1731, but . . . Map (db m7407) HM
251 Virginia, Essex County, Millers Tavern — O-41 — Mt. Zion Baptist Church(Piscataway Baptist Church)
On US 360, on the right when traveling east.
Founded nearby as Piscataway Baptist Church on 13 Mar. 1774, Mt. Zion Baptist Church was the first Baptist church in the region. Endeavoring to stop the spread of the Baptist movement, local authorities arrested Baptist ministers John Waller, John . . . Map (db m7493) HM
252 Virginia, Essex County, Oakley — N-26 — Mann Meeting House
On Tidewater Trail (U.S. 17) north of Ashdale Road, on the right when traveling north.
Just to the East stood Mann Meeting House, the first Methodist Episcopal Church in this region. It was built before 1794 and abandoned about 1880. The site is now occupied by the Macedonia Colored Baptist Church.Map (db m3080) HM
253 Virginia, Essex County, Tappahannock — 1 — 1728 Courthouse
On North Church Lane (U.S. 17) at Queen Street (U.S. 360), on the right when traveling north on North Church Lane.
Now Beale Memorial Baptist ChurchMap (db m186683) HM
Paid Advertisement
254 Virginia, Essex County, Tappahannock — Essex County Court House
On Church Hill Road (U.S. 17) at Queen Street (U.S. 360), on the right when traveling north on Church Hill Road.
Original walls of Essex County Court House 1728 - 1848Map (db m186682) HM
255 Virginia, Fairfax — Old Baptismal Area
Near Chain Bridge Road (State Highway 123) south of Kenmore Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Local residents recall the period through the 1930s when Mount Calvary Baptist Church regularly conducted baptismal services in the Accotink Branch, in the pool formed at its confluence with the Tussico. White-robed candidates were immersed by the . . . Map (db m173605) HM
256 Virginia, Fairfax County, Alexandria — Bethlehem Baptist Church
On Fordson Road north of Sherwood Hall Lane (Virginia Route 626), on the left when traveling north.
According to tradition, the earliest congregation, which would become the Bethlehem Baptist Church, was organized circa 1863 by Samuel K. Taylor, a former slave, who preached in the homes of the African-American residents of Gum Springs. Shortly . . . Map (db m100708) HM
257 Virginia, Fairfax County, Alexandria — E-94_1 — Gum Springs
On Fordson Road at Richmond Highway (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling west on Fordson Road.
Gum Springs, an African-American community, originated here on a 214-acre farm bought in 1833 by West Ford (ca. 1785-1863), a freed man, skilled carpenter, and manager of the Mount Vernon estate. The freedman’s school begun here in 1867 at Bethlehem . . . Map (db m952) HM
258 Virginia, Fairfax County, Alexandria — E-94_2 — Gum Springs
On Sherwood Hall Lane (Virginia Route 626) at Fordson Road, on the right when traveling west on Sherwood Hall Lane.
Gum Springs, an African-American community, originated here on a 214-acre farm bought in 1833 by West Ford (ca. 1785-1863), a freed man, skilled carpenter, and manager of the Mount Vernon estate. The freedman's school begun here in 1867 at Bethlehem . . . Map (db m210268) HM
259 Virginia, Fairfax County, Alexandria — E-146 — Woodlawn Methodist Church
On Fordson Road, on the right when traveling south.
African Americans in Woodlawn, four miles southwest of here, established Woodlawn Methodist Episcopal Church ca. 1866. The Woodlawn area, formerly part of George Washington's Mount Vernon estate, was home to African Americans who had been free . . . Map (db m131212) HM
260 Virginia, Fairfax County, Alexandria, Groveton — Saint Mark's Episcopal Church
On 6744 South Kings Highway (Virginia Route 633) north of Telegraph Road (Virginia Route 611), on the right when traveling south.
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church is one of several congregations that evolved from the efforts of nineteenth century students from the Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria. The first congregation met at the original Groveton Schoolhouse on . . . Map (db m42387) HM
261 Virginia, Fairfax County, Alexandria, Jefferson Manor — Fairview – Caught in History's Crossfire
On Tennessee Drive east of Palin Place, on the left when traveling east.
In the early 19th century these 10 acres were part of Burgundy Plantation. In the 1850s, John A. Fairfax established a 150 acre plantation named Fairview on the property. He improved the existing dwelling originally constructed between 1800 and . . . Map (db m131551) HM
262 Virginia, Fairfax County, Alexandria, Lincolnia — Mount Pleasant Baptist Church
On Lincolnia Road (Virginia Route 613) just south of Old Columbia Pike (County Road 712), on the right when traveling south.
Mount Pleasant Baptist Church was founded in 1867 during post-Civil War Reconstruction. Freedmen were given one acre of land for religious and educational purposes and a burying ground for colored people. The first church was a one-room . . . Map (db m189258) HM
Paid Advertisement
263 Virginia, Fairfax County, Alexandria, Mount Vernon — E-152 — Woodlawn Cultural Landscape Historic District
On Mount Vernon Memorial Highway (Virginia Route 235) 0.1 miles south of Grist Mill Woods Way, on the right when traveling south.
This 152-acre historic district was part of George Washington's Mount Vernon estate. In 1799 Washington gave the Woodlawn tract to his step-granddaughter Eleanor Park Custis and her husband, Lawrence Lewis. Northern Quakers bought the property in . . . Map (db m140950) HM
264 Virginia, Fairfax County, Annandale — The Pines
Near Woodburn Road, 0.3 miles west of Gallows Road (Virginia Route 650), on the left when traveling west.
At the turn of the 20th century, a close-knit African American community was established here. The Johnson, Robinson, Sprigg and Collins families were the first to purchase lots. They cleared pine trees to enable truck farming and saw mill . . . Map (db m100807) HM
265 Virginia, Fairfax County, Burke — Lee Chapel Church1871 - 1951
On Fairfax County Parkway (Virginia Route 286) at Lee Chapel Road (County Route 643), on the right when traveling north on Fairfax County Parkway.
On this site stood Lee Chapel, a Methodist Episcopal Church, built 1871 and named in honor of General Robert E. Lee. Lee Chapel replaced Mount Carmel Church which had been located at Ox Road and present day Lee Chapel Road and had been destroyed by . . . Map (db m11) HM
266 Virginia, Fairfax County, Burke — Marshall Family CemeteryBurke Station, Virginia — John A. Marshall (1821-1892); Mary J. Davis Marshall (1826-1887) —
Near Parakeet Drive, 0.5 miles west of Kite Street, on the left when traveling west.
Prior to the Civil War, John and Mary Marshall, early prominent Burke area citizens, bought this land and built a family dwelling on fifty acres of land purchased in 1852. The Marshalls donated land to the Church of the Good Shepherd and to the . . . Map (db m198383) HM
267 Virginia, Fairfax County, Centreville — Centreville Methodist ChurchBuilt 1855
On Braddock Road (Virginia Route 620) north of Mt Gilead Road, on the left when traveling north.
Destroyed during the Civil War. Rebuilt 1870. This Marker Presented in Memory of Martha Elliott Saunders by Her Children Otto Frank and Martha 1939 The Edifice Became the Anglican Church of the Ascension on December 23, 1973.Map (db m117176) HM
268 Virginia, Fairfax County, Centreville — Centreville Methodist ChurchHistoric Landmark
On Braddock Road (Route 620) north of Mount Gilead Road, on the left when traveling north.
Church since 1854 Hospital 1st & 2nd Battles of ManassasMap (db m173369) HM
269 Virginia, Fairfax County, Centreville — Old Stone ChurchHaven for the Wounded
On Braddock Road west of U.S. 29, on the left when traveling west.
Here, where the Warrenton Turnpike turned west from Braddock Road, the Union army marched from Centreville to meet Confederate forces in the first great battle of the Civil War on July 21, 1861. The afternoon, Union soldiers passed by here again, . . . Map (db m173378) HM
270 Virginia, Fairfax County, Centreville — St. John's Episcopal ChurchStill Faithful after the Ravages of War
Near Mount Gilead Road.
Passing armies occupied and fortified Centreville, positioned between Washington, D.C., and Manassas Junction, beginning in July 1861 when Confederate and Union forces met during the war's first significant campaign. As American and British . . . Map (db m57135) HM
271 Virginia, Fairfax County, Centreville — St. John's Episcopal ChurchSt. John's was consecrated on July 14, 1850.
On Mount Gilead Road, 0.1 miles south of Wharton Lane, on the right when traveling north.
During the Civil War, 40,000 troops wintered here. After being burned in 1863, the church was rebuilt in 1867 on the same foundation, and then consecrated in 1872. All these years, the parishioners have cherished St. John's Church through its . . . Map (db m173367) HM
Paid Advertisement
272 Virginia, Fairfax County, Chantilly — 4 — Hiding in the IcehouseSully Historic Site — Cain's Branch Archaeological Trail —
Near Historic Sully Way, 0.8 miles south of Air and Space Museum Parkway, on the left when traveling south.
Alexander Haight, a Quaker who lived at Sully, feared he would be forcibly taken by the Confederate army. The Confederates were looking for able-bodied men and searching for supplies. Alexander was a suspected Union sympathizer. According to . . . Map (db m198299) HM
273 Virginia, Fairfax County, Clifton — Bradley House1870
On Chapel Road.
Owned by Rev. Wm. Bradley & his wife Elisabeth, the first Presbyterian Minister in Clifton, the parents of Margaret Riviere Hetzel, who taught the first School in Clifton Restored in 1981Map (db m114222) HM
274 Virginia, Fairfax County, Clifton — Circa 1884
On Main Street (Virginia Route 645) south of Chapel Street, on the left when traveling south.
This building was built as a General Mercantile Store and through the years has been occupied as a Saloon, Bakery, Grocery, Pool Hall, Cabinet Shop and Church. The addition was added in 1926 for a Barber Shop. The building was . . . Map (db m114275) HM
275 Virginia, Fairfax County, Clifton — Clifton Baptist Church1876
On Main Steet (Virginia Route 645) at Chapel Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Steet.
In 1876, George W. Tillet, along with other area men who served with Mosby’s Rangers during the Civil War, formed a Baptist Church with services held in his home. Subsequently, they built a one-room church on this site in 1877 which was replaced by . . . Map (db m110179) HM
276 Virginia, Fairfax County, Clifton — Clifton Presbyterian Church1870
Near Richards Lane west of Main Street.
After the Civil War, residents seeking Christian fellowship and education organized a Sunday School in the Hetzel House at the corner of Chapel and Pendleton streets. In 1869, nine members of the community organized Clifton Presbyterian Church, . . . Map (db m110160) HM
277 Virginia, Fairfax County, Clifton — Clifton Primitive Baptist Church1871
On Main Street at Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Built in 1871 as the Clifton Old School Primitive Baptist Church, it is the oldest African-American church in Fairfax County. The town of Clifton was initially inhabited by emancipated slaves and the church was built on land donated by one of them, . . . Map (db m110265) HM
278 Virginia, Fairfax County, Clifton — Fulmer Brill Houseca. 1912
Near Dell Avenue south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
Owned by just two families before its first restoration in 2002 this house was built by J .M. Fulmer just one year after finishing a larger home on Chapel Street next to the Clifton Baptist Church. The Spring House in the front yard once provided . . . Map (db m114528) HM
279 Virginia, Fairfax County, Clifton — Mathers House1920
On Richards Lane west of Main Street (Virginia Route 645), on the right when traveling west.
William H. Mathers built this bungalow in the twilight of his life. A successful lumberman, he was president of the Clifton Land Improvement Company. His daughter, Ruth, ultimately deeded the home to the Clifton Presbyterian Church in October 1964 . . . Map (db m194493) HM
280 Virginia, Fairfax County, Fairfax — David R. Pinn Community Center
On Zion Drive (County Route 654) at Windsor Hills Drive, on the right when traveling east on Zion Drive.
After the Civil War, a small community of African Americans lived on Route 654, now known as Zion Drive. The Wrights, Hamiltons, Whites, and Pinns were farmers and laborers. In 1904, David R. & Sarah F. Pinn donated an acre of land to build Little . . . Map (db m57234) HM
Paid Advertisement
281 Virginia, Fairfax County, Fairfax — The Legend Story of the First Prayer Wheel / Prayer for World Peace and WelfareHanu Pha Sha Bhara He Ye Svaha
Near Ox Road (Virginia Route 123) south of Zion Drive (Virginia Route 654), on the right when traveling south.
The Legend Story of the First Prayer Wheel As it was told: "To Bodhisattva Naga King, those who see or hear about the Dharma wheel, talk about it, even think about it or touch it, will soon be separated from the sufferings of the . . . Map (db m197301) HM
282 Virginia, Fairfax County, Fairfax — World Peace Sand Mandala
Near Ox Road (Virginia Route 123) south of Zion Drive (Route 654), on the right when traveling south.
This sacred World Peace Sand Mandala was created in January 2019 of Drikung Dharma Surya Center by Tibetan Buddhist monks of the Labrang Tashi Kyil Monastery in Dehradun, India. The sand mandala is constructed my millions of grains of . . . Map (db m197295) HM
283 Virginia, Fairfax County, Fairfax Station — Clara H. BartonFounder of the American Red Cross
On Ox Road (Virginia Route 123) at Fairfax Station Road, on the right when traveling south on Ox Road.
Here at Fairfax Station in early Sept. 1862, after the Second Battle of Manassas and the action near Chantilly, Clara Barton ministered to the suffering. By her humane and tireless efforts this Angel of the Battlefield helped move over 3000 wounded . . . Map (db m102) HM
284 Virginia, Fairfax County, Fairfax Station — In this Church of St. Mary’sAugust 31 – September 1, 1862
Near Fairfax Station Road west of Ox Road (Virginia Route 123), on the left when traveling west.
The founder of American Red Cross Clara H. Barton nursed the wounded and dying soldiers from the Second Battle of Manassas and the engagement near ChantillyMap (db m110236) HM
285 Virginia, Fairfax County, Fairfax Station — Payne’s Church
Near Ox Road (Virginia Route 123) 0.1 miles south of Paynes Church Drive, on the right when traveling south.
Placed by Providence Chapter, NSDAR. 1985 Site of Payne’s Church Church of England….. 1768Map (db m110064) HM
286 Virginia, Fairfax County, Fairfax Station — St. Mary’s Catholic Church
Near Fairfax Station Road west of Ox Road (Virginia Route 123), on the left when traveling west.
Dedicated September 19, 1858 by Rt. Rev. John McGill, Bishop of Richmond. — Catholic workers, who were employed in building the Fairfax Railroad pass, began work on the structure in 1856. They were assisted by members of the nearby Hamill . . . Map (db m184) HM
287 Virginia, Fairfax County, Fairfax Station — Welcome to Fairfax Station
On Fairfax Station Road west of Hill Street, on the right when traveling west.
Welcome to the Fairfax Station Railroad Museum, established in 1987. Fairfax Station was constructed in 1852 along the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. Formed in 1848, the O&A was the only rail line connecting Alexandria — a major port at the . . . Map (db m194560) HM
288 Virginia, Fairfax County, Fort Belvoir — E-145 — Alexandria, Mt. Vernon, and Accotink Turnpike
On Richmond Highway (U.S. 1) at Belvoir Road, on the right when traveling north on Richmond Highway.
The Virginia General Assembly incorporated the Alexandria, Mt. Vernon, and Accotink Turnpike Company in March 1856. The road passed here on its roughly nine-mile route from Alexandria to Accotink Creek. Its founders included local slaveholders as . . . Map (db m140922) HM
289 Virginia, Fairfax County, Fort Belvoir — Woodlawn Quaker Meetinghouse
On Woodlawn Road, on the right when traveling north.
The Woodlawn Quaker Meetinghouse was built from 1851 – 1853 by members of The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) who in 1846 purchased the 2,000 acre Woodlawn tract as the means to “establish a free-labor colony in a slave . . . Map (db m127843) HM
290 Virginia, Fairfax County, Franconia — Laurel Grove Colored School and Church
On Beulah Street, 0.1 miles south of Walker Lane, on the right when traveling south.
In the early 1880s, former slaves organized a congregation and held church services near a grove of laurel on Beulah Road. The trustees, including Middleton Braxton, George Carroll, Thornton Gray, and William Jasper, were focused on educating the . . . Map (db m86181) HM
291 Virginia, Fairfax County, Herndon — Herndon Seminary
On Grace Street just north of Haley Place, on the right when traveling south.
Mary Lee Castleman, an active member of the St. Timothy's Episcopal Mission, wanted to establish a proper school for girls. She first established the Herndon Seminary on the upper floor of the old mission building, formerly located at the corner of . . . Map (db m186873) HM
292 Virginia, Fairfax County, Herndon — Herndon's First Church
On Elden Street (Virginia Route 606) at Center Street, on the right when traveling west on Elden Street.
Constructed in 1872 for a North Methodist Episcopal congregation, this building ushered in a church building period in Herndon. By 1915 six churches served Herndon's growing population around its historic center. After 67 years at this location and . . . Map (db m126640) HM
293 Virginia, Fairfax County, Herndon — Herndon's Pine Street
On Pine Street west of Monroe Street (Virginia Route 228), on the right when traveling west.
Pine Street was already established when Herndon became a Town in 1879. Its historic mix of uses demonstrated the importance of downtown in providing local services to residents. in the 19th and early 20th centuries it had the largest building in . . . Map (db m126639) HM
294 Virginia, Fairfax County, Herndon, Frying Pan Baptist Church and Cemetery — Frying Pan Meeting House
On Centerville Road (County Route 657) at Frying Pan Road (County Route 608), on the right when traveling north on Centerville Road.
This circa 1791 Baptist Church standing on its original site represents a continuous tribute to early religious freedom for slave and free together.Map (db m5608) HM
295 Virginia, Fairfax County, Herndon, Frying Pan Baptist Church and Cemetery — Frying Pan Meeting House
On Centerville Road (County Route 657) at Frying Pan Road (Virginia Route 608), on the right when traveling north on Centerville Road.
Frying Pan Springs Meeting House was erected c. 1791 on land granted by Robert “Counsellor” Carter to a group of “Old School” Baptists. In addition to local farmers the fundamentalist beliefs of its members also attracted free blacks and slaves . . . Map (db m5609) HM
296 Virginia, Fairfax County, Herndon, Frying Pan Baptist Church and Cemetery — T-43 — Frying Pan Meeting House
On Centerville Road (County Route 657) at Frying Pan Road, on the right when traveling north on Centerville Road.
The Frying Pan Meeting House, constructed by 1791 on land donated by the Carter family in 1783, was used for Baptist services until 1968. Named for nearby Frying Pan Branch, the church is a rare example of 18th-Century architecture in western . . . Map (db m95104) HM
297 Virginia, Fairfax County, Herndon, Frying Pan Baptist Church and Cemetery — Pin Oak
Near Centreville Road (Virginia Route 608) 0.1 miles south of Frying Pan Road, on the right when traveling north.
This pin oak replaces the 200 year old oak that was a sapling when the congregation first met in the Frying Pan Meeting House Baptist Church, 1791. Planted on Arbor Day, April 26, 1991, in celebration of the centennial of the National . . . Map (db m197020) HM
298 Virginia, Fairfax County, Herndon, McNair — Historical Site of Mount Pleasant Baptist Church13614 Coppermine Road, Herndon, Virginia — Owned & Occupied 1882 - 1982 —
On Coppermine Road (County Route 665) 0.2 miles west of River Birch Road, on the right when traveling west.
Moved to second edifice September 19, 1982 at 13615 Coppermine Road, before moving to third edifice located at 2516 Squirrel Hill Road on May 1, 1999 Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church was organized in 1866 and held services in The Old Floris . . . Map (db m126641) HM
299 Virginia, Fairfax County, Idylwood, Mosby — A Memorial to the Four ChaplainsThe Tragedy of the Sinking of the Dorchester
On U.S. 29, 0.3 miles west of West Street (Virginia Route 705), on the right when traveling west.
The troop transport Dorchester was crossing the North Atlantic. On February 3, 1943, the deadly enemy submarines struck the Dorchester. The tragedy brought shouts of anger cries of fear, and wails of pain. The Four Chaplains gave their life . . . Map (db m145014) HM WM
300 Virginia, Fairfax County, Lorton — In the Footsteps of HistorySpecial Places on the Mason Neck
On Old Colchester Road (Virginia Route 611) north of Greene Drive, on the right when traveling south.
Some of the features shown here that were prominent on Mason Neck in Fairfax County during the marches of the Armies of the American War of Independence, exist today through generations of historic preservation efforts. The rich natural . . . Map (db m198378) HM

1091 entries matched your criteria. Entries 201 through 300 are listed above. ⊲ Previous 100Next 100 
 
 
CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2024