Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Contra Costa County California Historical Markers

274 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 74
 
Original Alamo School Bell and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, April 15, 2016
Original Alamo School Bell and Marker
California (Contra Costa County), Alamo — Original Alamo School Bell
Used from about 1880 to 1940 in the second Alamo school building which stood at the east side of Danville Blvd. near Stone Valley Road. — Map (db m93989) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Alamo — Site of the J.M. Jones House(former Francisco Garcia Adobe)
John M. & Mary Ann Smith Jones, lived at this location from 1851 - 1866. They came out west in a prairie schooner. Here John opened the only post office between Martinez and Mission San Jose on May 18, 1852. Mary Ann was his deputy while her . . . — Map (db m93991) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Alamo — Stone Valley
Squire Silas Stone emigrated with his family from Iowa in 1853 and settled half mile east of this marker. The pioneer's home stood nearby until 1957. His son Albert eventually expanded the ranch to 800 acres and gave the family name to the present . . . — Map (db m93667) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Alamo — Whitegate Farm
Since 1856 Built by Charles and Nathaniel Howard Owner Ray L. Donahue — Map (db m93990) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — Antioch High School Cupola
Upon the closing of Riverview Union High School in the fall of 1931, Live Oak (later to become Antioch Unified) School District opened a new high school on D Street. This cupola, which at the time had a Mayflower weathervane atop, was placed . . . — Map (db m93603) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — Birthplace of Antioch
This Plaque commemorates the arrival of the first settlers in Antioch. September 16, 1850 Led by Captain George W. Kimball the party sailed from Maine aboard the California Packet No.2 March 1850 And reached San Francisco Bay August . . . — Map (db m37593) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — City of Antioch War Dog Memorial
You protected us on the field of battle. You watched over our eternal rest. You will not be forgotten. We are forever grateful. Dedicated in memory of Specialist 4th Class George D. (Doug) Deitrick and his scout dog, Egor (75IM), . . . — Map (db m93604) WM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — F & AM - Antioch-Brentwood Lodge #175 Building
This plaque commemorates 140 continuous years of Masonry in Antioch and the 100th anniversary of this building. The building was constructed as the Belshaw Theater in 1905. It was purchased by the Antioch Masonic Lodge in 1923 and modified to serve . . . — Map (db m37579) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — Greenhouse PortalA Hidden World Awaits
Take a moment and gaze down the Greenhouse Portal, your entrance into vast underground spaces filled with an intriguing human and geologic history. What was once the ocean floor provided raw materials (silica sand) for glass making during the early . . . — Map (db m93629) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — Independent Mine
These stones and bolts are the remains of the Independent Shaft hoist works. The depression to your right marks the location of the 710-foot sealed shaft, the most northerly mine entry on the Mt. Diablo Coal Field. The boiler attached to the bolts . . . — Map (db m93610) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — July 4, Anno Domini, 1951
This city was named 100 years ago for Antioch in Syria were the disciples of Jesus Christ were first called Christians. -- (Acts 11:26) Today we rededicate ourselves to him in grateful memory of our founding fathers who envisioned a city and a . . . — Map (db m93607) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — CHL 932 — Mount Diablo Coal Field
From 1860 to 1906, this area was the largest coal mining district in California. Five towns (Nortonville, Somersville, Stewartville, Judsonville and West Hartley) grew up around twelve major mines. Today the towns are gone. The buildings having been . . . — Map (db m93611) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — Riverview Union High School
This was the first high school constructed in Contra Costa County. Supported by the Womans Club of Antioch, the first joint communities bond was passed in 1908 for $20,000 by Antioch, Pittsburg, Somersville, Nortonville and Live Oak. Charles . . . — Map (db m91845) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — Sidney Flat
This area was the original site of the coal mining town of Somersville. The town was located here because of the availability of good drinking water. When the railroad arrived in 1866, water could be hauled from the San Joaquin River and the town . . . — Map (db m93608) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — Somersville Townsite
From the mid-1850s to the early 1900s, this was the site of an active coal mining town. Somersville was one of five towns that existed during the mining boom of the Mt. Diablo Coal Field. At the peak of operation, it is believed that Somersville and . . . — Map (db m93628) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — The Cannery Lady
In the early 19th century many canneries operated throughout California. The rich agricultural and fishing areas of east Contra Costa County hosted a number of canneries and packing sheds. The picturesque Antioch waterfront was home to two canneries . . . — Map (db m18292) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — The McCoy Cook House
This little house built by the McCoy's in 1861, at their ranch on the side of Kirker Pass, served as their first home. As time passed and the ranch became established, a much larger farmhouse was built for the family. It was then that the 2 room . . . — Map (db m93574) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — The Woman's Club of Antioch
Eleven women founded the Woman's Club of Antioch in February, 1902. They pledged to "improve and beautify the town, to do any business which shall promote the educational, industrial, benevolent, social or political welfare of its members or the . . . — Map (db m93605) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Brentwood — Byer/Nail House
This house, which serves as the museum for the East Contra Costa Historical Society, was originally built by Johnson and Elizabeth Fancher in 1878. In the early 1880's the Fanchers sold the house and surrounding acreage to John and Letitia Byer. In . . . — Map (db m94652) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Brentwood — John and Abby MarshIn Memory of
Builders of the stone house 1856 Abby Marsh died August 1855 John Marsh first doctor in California arrived 1836 Born 1799, Murdered Sept. 24 1856 — Map (db m94654) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Brentwood — Site of Historic Brentwood Hotel
In 1884 the 1st Brentwood Hotel was built on this site. It was an ornate two story wooden structure in the Victorian style of architecture, with wood sidewalks, columns and a 2nd floor balcony. It was destroyed by a fire set by a dismissed employee . . . — Map (db m94653) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Byron — ByronEst. 1878
At this location, in 1878, a railroad station was established for the San Pablo and Tulare Railroad, which ran from Los Banos to Martinez, later to become part of the Southern Pacific Railway, for the purpose of taking on water, and became known as . . . — Map (db m17325) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — Black Diamond Way
In 1892 Contra Costa County named Black Diamond Way, and maintained it as a road until 1982. (Locally it was also known as "Nortonville Road".) Black Diamond Way became part of Black Diamond Mt. Diablo Regional Trail in 1985. Black Diamond . . . — Map (db m27431) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — Clayton
Miwok Indians inhabited this valley at the base of Mt. Diablo when Spanish explorers came in the 1770’s. Scouts, trappers, prospectors and settlers followed. In 1857 Clayton was founded by Joel Clayton, a miner, farmer, and wagonmaster from . . . — Map (db m59954) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — De Martini Winery
Paul De Martini built Clayton Vineyards Winery in 1885 on land formerly owned by Joel Clayton, the area’s first vintner. An Austrian stone mason directed construction, using stone quarried on Mount Diablo and hauled here by wagon teams. This was the . . . — Map (db m60033) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — Endeavor Hall
The Methodist Episcopal Church built this hall in the 1860’s for worship, education, and fellowship. The Congregation Church Christian Endeavor Society acquired the property in 1896. After Congregation services ended in 1916, volunteer trustees . . . — Map (db m59972) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — History of Marsh Creek Springs
Founded in 1927 by Gerald (Jerry) Gill and family, the park consisted of four picnic sections, over forty acres, four baseball diamonds, two swimming pools, a wading pool for children, large dance hall and two snack bars. At one time the grounds . . . — Map (db m94663) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — Joaquin Murrieta
Born in Mexico in 1832 the renowned "Robin Hood of the El Dorado" spent his early days in Californa working in Contra Costa County as a vaquero before turning bandit. Dedicated By Joaquin Murrieta Chapter No. 13 E Clampus Vitus November 6, 1976 . . . — Map (db m24567) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — Old Marsh Creek Springs
This area in the mid 1850s, was a known hideout for legendary bandit Joaquin Murrieta, who worked as a vaquero for John Marsh on his rancho just east of here. It was also frequented by John "Grizzly" Adams, famed California mountain man. In 1927 . . . — Map (db m94657) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — The Clayton Club
Jacob Rhine's National Saloon had an impressive inventory of cigars and liquor in 1874. The saloon was renamed after Carl Berendsen bought the property in 1905. He added a building shipped from San Francisco via Martinez for family living . . . — Map (db m57976) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — The Clayton Post Office
The Clayton Post Office, established on October 4, 1861, is one of the oldest post offices in continuous operation in California. Ensuring its continuation in Clayton was one reason for incorporating the city in 1964. During the past 140 . . . — Map (db m24534) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — The Growler Saloon – Goethals BuildingTwo Historic Clayton Buildings
Two historic Clayton buildings were combined to create this restaurant. A bicentennial project. One was an 1870’s home that Jack Duncan rebuilt circa 1908. It became a store, post office (1926 – 1937), barber shop, and the Growler Saloon. . . . — Map (db m59953) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — The Joel Clayton HouseClayton Historical Museum
Joel Clayton, who founded Clayton in 1857, had this house built circa 1860, where Mitchell Creek meets Mount Diablo Creek. After his death in 1872 the land was sold and the house had various uses. The Clayton Historical Society acquired it and in . . . — Map (db m59948) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clyde — The Only Train Stop in Clyde
This monument commemorates what was once the only train stop in Clyde. The train that came through this stop in the early 1900's was owned by Southern Pacific and brought mail, passengers, and freight to this unique little town. [Lower marker . . . — Map (db m17341) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Alves House
Concord Historical Landmark Circa 1897 Site of first Concord Grammar School — Map (db m57334) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Barnett House
Concord Historical Landmark Built in 1916 — Map (db m57335) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Bibber House
Concord Historical Landmark Built in 1912 by L.V. Perry — Map (db m17406) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Bolla House
Concord Historical Landmark Built in 1910 — Map (db m57196) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Dedicated to the Founders of Todos Santos1994
{pictured above on the marker (left to right), Don Fernando Pacheco, 1818-1884; Don Salvio Pacheco, 1793-1876; Don Francisco Galindo, 1820-1891} In 1868 Don Salvio Pacheco; his son, Don Fernando Pacheco; and his son-in-law, Don Francisco . . . — Map (db m17440) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Elworthy House
Concord Historical Landmark Built in 1913 — Map (db m57336) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Francisco Galindo Home
Concord Historical Landmark Built in 1856 — Map (db m56583) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Live Oak CemeteryFounded 1865
Don Salvio Pacheco granted this land designated as a cemetery to serve Clayton and Concord. There are many prominent pioneers of early Clayton and Concord buried here. They include members of the following families: Atchinson, Babel, Clayton, . . . — Map (db m93630) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Neustaedter House
Concord Historical Landmark Built in 1906 by L.V. Perry — Map (db m17422) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Old Fire Hall
Concord Historical Built in 1892 Concord's First Firehouse — Map (db m57760) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Concord — Perry House
Concord Historical Landmark Built in 1911 by L.V Perry — Map (db m57759) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Crockett — Al Zampa Memorial BridgeCrockett, California 2003
Alfred 'Al' Zampa was the first born son of Emilio and Maria Zampa, Italian immigrants who migrated to the USA from Abruzzi, Italy. Al was born on March 12, 1905 in Selby, California down river from where this plaque sits. He was the eldest of three . . . — Map (db m91658) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Crockett — Anza Expedition of 1776
"We called to these Indians, hoping to buy their fish from them." From Father Pedro Font's Diary, April 2, 1776 In 1775 and 1776, Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza, Father Pedro Font, along with 240 settlers, soldiers, . . . — Map (db m91652) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Crockett — Crockett World War I Veterans MemorialMemorial Hall
(periods added to aid legibility) In Loving Memory of the men of this community who gave their lives in the 1917     Great World War     1919 D. Crowley · G.M. Lee · W.E. Dunn · O.A. Sweet · M.H. Sievers · F. Remaini · B.L. . . . — Map (db m91651) WM
California (Contra Costa County), Crockett — 731 — The Old Homestead
This was the first American home in Crockett. Constructed in 1867 by Thomas Edwards, Sr., on land purchased in 1866 from Judge J.B. Crockett. Located on an earlier Indian village near the Carquinez Straits, its timbers, some of which were brought . . . — Map (db m12153) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — A.J. Young House
Albert J. Young and Mary Shuey Young built this Victorian home in 1870. This was her home for 63 years. A.J. Young was a long time local educator and church leader. — Map (db m94012) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — Alamo CemeteryHistorical Site Dedication
Many pioneers from Alamo and surrounding towns have been buried here since the 1850s. Alamo Cemetery is part of the Alamo-Lafayette Cemetery District. We dedicate this plaque in the 125th year of the first recorded burial January 1856. — Map (db m94013) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — 853 — Captain Pedro Fages TrailHistorical Landmark 1772
Fages, Commandante at Monterey, vainly looked for a way across San Francisco Bay. With Juan Crespi, Franciscan missionary, 14 soldiers, a muleteer and an Indian servant, he trekked along Carquinez Strait, thence eastward nearly to Antioch. Turning . . . — Map (db m91703) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — Close Family PropertyHistorical Point of Interest
This property, site of the first building constructed in 1858, was owned by pioneer Daniel Inman (1827-1908) for whom Danville was named. The property was purchased by James E. Close (1848-1904), who operated a blacksmith shop, in 1875. In 1907 . . . — Map (db m93670) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — Danville Grammar School
The first schoolhouse in the area was built south of Danville in 1858. In 1867, a new grammar school was built on this Front Street site. This building served until being razed in 1896 and replaced by the one-room schoolhouse pictured. It was . . . — Map (db m93672) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — Danville Hotel TerritoryHistorical Point of Interest
The Danville Hotel, originally the Railroad Hotel, was built in 1891 when the Southern Pacific Railroad came to Danville. It was at the corner of Railroad Avenue and Short Street and faced west. It was owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. Edward . . . — Map (db m93673) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — San Ramon Branch Line
The 19.7 mile San Ramon Branch Line of the Southern Pacific Railroad was built through here in 1891. Original Danville station plat consisted of 8.65 acres. Railroad service was terminated in 1978. The right-of-way was converted soon after to the . . . — Map (db m93668) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — San Ramon Union High School
In August of 1910 the San Ramon Valley Union High School District was formed. For the first six years high school classes were held in Danville at two different locations, with two teachers and thirty students. In 1916 ten acres were purchased at . . . — Map (db m94020) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — Tassajara School
This one room school house was built by the Tassajara School District in 1889 and served the entire area until 1946 at which time the district was merged with the Danville Union School District. The black walnut trees were planted and cared for by . . . — Map (db m94021) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — The Grange and Fraternal Hall (1874)233 Front Street — Danville Heritage Resource No. 8
The Danville Grange was a farmers' association and the hub of the community in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The Grange was instrumental in bringing many improvements to the valley over the years, such as San Ramon Valley High School, a public . . . — Map (db m93671) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Danville — Veterans Memorial Building
In 1919, Congress established the national charter for the American Legion to honor veterans of the Great War. Contra Costa administered a California bond issued to build veteran's memorial halls in each town with an American Legion Post. . . . — Map (db m93675) HM WM
California (Contra Costa County), Diablo — 905 — Mount Diablo
Mount Diablo, sacred to Native Americans who lived and worshipped there for over 5,000 years became a critical reference point for Spanish explorers in the 18th century, and American trappers and early California settlers in the 19th. In 1851 . . . — Map (db m17541) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Art and Culture in the City
Arts and culture have always been a part of El Cerrito. The City's Arts and Culture Commission, the El Cerrito Arts Association, and many businesses and organizations throughout the City work to engage, promote and celebrate El Cerrito's thriving . . . — Map (db m94184) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Cerrito Creek
. . . — Map (db m94104) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Cerrito Theater
. . . — Map (db m94120) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — City Hall
This attractive building, El Cerrito's first City Hall, was built in 1926 and replaced in 1961. It housed the City offices, both Fire and Police Departments, and even a small jail. The Council Chambers/Public Hall was upstairs, as was an apartment . . . — Map (db m94185) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Contra Costa Civic Theatre
. . . — Map (db m94210) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Corridors of ChangeSenderos del Cambio / 变化的走廊
Juan Bautista de Anza National Trail passed through present day El Cerrito April 1, 1776     Homeland of the Huchiun-Ohlone Tribe of American Indians The fields are green with grass and thickly covered with various wildflowers." - . . . — Map (db m91843) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — El Cerrito Hills
. . . — Map (db m94102) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — El Cerrito Public Library
With an inventory of fifty books, El Cerrito's first public library was opened in the local post office in 1913. It moved several times before expanding and relocating to Stockton Avenue in 1949, becoming the first postwar library built in the Bay . . . — Map (db m91361) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — El Cerrito's First Mayor
El Cerrito became a city on August 23, 1917. Businessman Philip Lee lead the incorporation effort and raised bonds for essential services, including fire and police protection. Lee was elected to the City Council multiple times and served as mayor . . . — Map (db m94106) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — El Cerrito's Music Scene
Both El Cerrito's and Richmond's populations quadrupled between 1941 and 1945 due to the massive influx of wartime shipyard workers. These workers brought new musical styles, such as blues, western swing and country. This musical melting pot . . . — Map (db m94129) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — El Cerrito's Nightlife
From the late 1920s until the early 1950s, El Cerrito and nearby unincorporated areas were popular destinations for people to play the slots, high-low games, numbers and more while enjoying fine food and entertainment. — Map (db m94100) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Fairmont School
Fairmont School was originally built about 1903 and was El Cerrito's second school. Fires claimed many structures in early El Cerrito, including Fairmont School, which burned down in 1924. A new school was built at the same site on Stockton between . . . — Map (db m91358) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Farms and Dairies
El Cerrito was once a town of farms and dairies. The mild weather, lush fields, and many creeks coming down from the hills made for excellent dairy farming. Over the years, there have been about 25 dairies located in El Cerrito. — Map (db m94131) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Holy Ghost Festa
The Festival of the Holy Ghost was started in Portugal by Queen Izabel to celebrate the end of a famine in 1296. Since the 1920s, Portuguese Americans have gathered in El Cerrito in late June to carry out this annual tradition with a parade, the . . . — Map (db m94192) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Japanese Nurseries
In the early 1900s, Japanese immigrants planted the seeds of a remarkable nursery community in El Cerrito and Richmond. These nurseries were located mostly west of San Pablo Avenue and north of Portrero Avenue. After interment during World War II, . . . — Map (db m94249) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Little Italy
Italian immigrants were a major ethnic community in El Cerrito. Establishments in the heart of Little Italy included Tezzi's Italian cooperativa, Fandio Bortolotti's barber shop, Cisi's Dry Goods, Louie's Club, Poloni's Bakery, . . . — Map (db m94198) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Master Craftsmen
Highly regarded French artisan plasterers, Joseph Laleux and Peter Allinio, both lived near here in the early 20th century. Individually, they worked on well-known projects as the Palace of Fine Arts, the Curran and Geary Theaters, and the original . . . — Map (db m94128) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Quarries
In the early 1900s, El Cerrito became the local center of a thriving "blueschist" quarry industry. Along with some smaller ones, Bates & Borland Quarry and the Hutchinson Quarry were two of the major local quarries that operated up to the 1930s and . . . — Map (db m94189) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Ranchos San Pablo and San Antonio Boundary Monument
{North-facing side:} This Monument marks the Northern Boundary of the Rancho San Antonio 43,473 acres granted by Governor Pablo Vicente de Sola acting for the King of Spain to Don Luis Maria Peralta August 3, . . . — Map (db m36728) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Rust
. . . — Map (db m94107) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Santa Fe Railway
Between 1904 and 1979, the Santa Fe Railway line was a busy place in El Cerrito. Santa Fe had two small stations and a three-track yard in the City. In this area, the railroad altered the creek channel. The presence of the railroad eventually . . . — Map (db m94250) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — 1 — Site of Pioneer American Settler William Rust's Blacksmith ShopCirca 1889
In 1909 Rust was named the first postmaster of Rust, California, which was renamed El Cerrito in 1917 — Map (db m94108) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Stege Sanitary
. . . — Map (db m94208) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Streetcars in El Cerrito
In the early 1900s, streetcars ran the length of San Pablo Avenue. In those days, people could ride from the county line to Grand Canyon Park (now Alvarado Park) or out to MacDonald Avenue to the San Rafael Ferry. — Map (db m94194) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Summertime Fun in El Cerrito
Golden Gate Lanes, El Cerrito's only bowling alley was located near here. Other summer staples included Bardon's Fruit Market, Betsy's Kitchen and Big Boys Barbecue, Motorcycle Hill, the Whoopie Bumps, and Peek-a-Boo Park, an early auto-court . . . — Map (db m94222) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — The Avenue
During the Spanish colonial era, the train that would become San Pablo Avenue connected many ranchos across the East Bay. By the mid-1800s, it featured a state line connecting Oakland and Martinez. Today the Avenue remains the center of El . . . — Map (db m94248) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — The Industrial Core
Businesses along San Pablo Avenue and the Santa Fe railroad, such as building materials companies, TEPCO (Technical Porcelain and Chinaware Company), coal dealers, monument companies, several lumberyards, a slaughterhouse, and a few furniture . . . — Map (db m94188) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — The 'IT' Club
Walt Gatto's "IT" Club, located at Central and San Pablo was named for Clara Bow, the famous cinema "IT" Girl. Redd Foxx, Gypsy Rose Lee, The Vagabonds, Sally Rand, Frank Fontaine, and Johnny Mathis all played the famous "IT" Club. — Map (db m94122) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — The Little Hill
El Cerrito, Spanish for "the little hill", is named for the hill to the southwest - now called Albany Hill. Like Brooks Island, the hills north Port Richmond, and the hills at China Camp across the bay, Albany Hill is a part of a range older than . . . — Map (db m94105) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — The Six Bells & Cerro Square
The Figone family's "Six Bells" restaurant stood near here for many years. Later Berkeley-born and well-known Major League Baseball player (and later manager) Billy Martin opened "Cerro Square" here in the early 1960s. — Map (db m94124) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Cerrito — Violet's
After running kitchens in early hotspots such as the "IT" Club and Six Bells, Violet Wong went on to become a culinary pioneer in El Cerrito by introducing Chinese American food. In 1945, Violet and her husband, Albert Wong, opened Violet's Dining . . . — Map (db m94126) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — Arrival of the Strip Mall
Hill View Center, El Sobrante's first strip mall, was constructed in 1960. Though the businesses have changed over the years, the appearance of the complex has changed very little. The "ranch house" architectural style was very popular during this . . . — Map (db m94307) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — California & Nevada Railroad
Here, following the base of San Pablo Ridge, ran the tracks of the California & Nevada Railroad. Incorporated in 1881, its founders had grand plans to run from Emeryville to Nevada. The line never got farther than Orinda. Until ending service in . . . — Map (db m94300) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — Cowboy Country
This was the site of Pitt Arena, which featured equestrian events during the 1930s and 1940s .Owned by Babe and Claude Pitt, the arena showcased the horsemanship of the El Sobrante Horseman's Association, San Pablo Horseman's Association, Western . . . — Map (db m94278) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — Dairy Country
El Sobrante never attracted heavy industry. Probably the largest commercial enterprise in the town was the S.P. Skow & Sons Dairy, which supplied milk in Richmond and surrounding towns. For most of that time, the dairy was located on Clark Road, . . . — Map (db m94273) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — El Sobrante Chevrolet Service
In 1946, Charles Deabenderter constructed this building for his Chevrolet service and repair business. The building has remained an auto repair business since that time, although under different names and specializations. In 1974 the business was . . . — Map (db m94277) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — El Sobrante's First Bank
A branch of Mechanics Bank opened at this location in May 1955. Aside from its added faux roof façade and wall graphics, the building itself is a nice example of mid-century modern architecture, a recognized genre passionately preserved in many . . . — Map (db m94279) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — El Sobrante's First Full-service Post Office
El Sobrante's first free-standing post office opened in this building in 1957, marking an important milestone in the town's development. The post office was previously located in the adjacent Lee's Variety Store (the Elks Lodge as of 2014) and . . . — Map (db m94308) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — First Supermarket/Foster's Freeze
The large building at this site was the home of El Sobrante's first supermarket, which opened in 1951. Owned by the Louis Store chain, the store was re-named LoRay in 1965 when the business was bought by Loretta and Ray Dickenson. A portion of the . . . — Map (db m94299) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — Fry's Food Stores and Fry's Electronics
The Fry's Foods grocery chain began at this location in 1954 when Donald Fry acquired Ray's Market, owned by Ray Dickenson. Joined by his brother, Charles, in 1955, they grew that initial store into a 41-store chain which they sold in 1972. Charles . . . — Map (db m94274) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — Oliver's Hardware & Service Station
El Sobrante pioneer, John Oliver, purchased an existing business at this location in 1943, and re-opened it as a hardware store and gas station. As of 2013 it has been the longest continuously operating business in downtown El Sobrante. The . . . — Map (db m94272) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — Park Theatre
Opened in 1949, the Park Theatre was the only commercial movie theatre in El Sobrante. It was owned and built by Dick Jeha, member of a prominent local family in the business community. More than just a movie house, the Park served for years as a . . . — Map (db m94296) HM
California (Contra Costa County), El Sobrante — Ranchos to Ranches
El Sobrante gets its name from Rancho El Sobrante, "surplus land situated between existing ranchos that in 1841 was granted by the government of Mexico to brothers Juan Jose and Victor Castro. Curiously, El Sobrante's downtown is actually within . . . — Map (db m94305) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Dedicated to the Pony Express
In 1860-1861 Pony Express riders stopped in Lafayette 19 times to change horses en route to San Francisco from St. Joseph, Missouri Lafayette Historical Society 1992 — Map (db m24461) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Geils Building
Fred Geils erected this saloon in 1880. It has housed various businesses through the years, including dressmaking, butcher, shoe repair and barber shops. Dedicated by Soroptimist Club of Lafayette-Orinda June 29, 1971 — Map (db m25091) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Lafayette House
Dedicated April 23, 1998 Lafayette House Added Station By Diablo Foods Better Homes Realty - Lafayette Diamond K. Supply, Ltd. Lafayette Chamber of Commerce Lafayette Historical Society Pony Express Trail Association {reverse . . . — Map (db m24916) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Lafayette — Lafayette Town Hall
Community spirit led to construction of this hall by the Lafayette Improvement Club. Land was donated by Frank and Rose Ghiglione with funds and labor provided by the townspeople. A grand opening ball and midnight supper were held on May 1, 1914. . . . — Map (db m49861) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 210 BuckleyOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest
Original DiMaggio Home Vincenzo DiMaggio & his wife Caterina bi Leci, purchased this lot from prominent land owner Achille Baccilieri. Caterina died young during the local influenza epidemic of the WWI years. Vincenzo made fishing nets & . . . — Map (db m93568) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 215 Marina VistaOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest
Original home of fisherman and S.P. Railway worker Francesco Marchi and wife Santa Balestrieri. Later home to Bocce Champion Nicola di Tullio and wife Annuziata. Built 1928 — Map (db m93572) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 216 BuckleyOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest
Aiello Family Home Fishing nets and wines were made in this home of an Italian fisherman family. In 1892, Francesco Aiello emigrated from the Isola de Favignana Sicilia, Italia. Built 1904 — Map (db m93569) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 224 BuckleyOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest
Original Homesite of Francesco & Girloma Bilecci. Francisco biological father was a 4 star general in the Italian army. His adopted father was a prominent local fisherman. Orig 1900 — Map (db m93570) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 225 Buckley StreetOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest
. . . — Map (db m91709) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 236 BuckleyOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest
DiMaggio Family Home Built by parents of baseball great, Joe DiMaggio & sold to his aunt & uncle. Site of Joes wedding reception. Built 1927 — Map (db m93571) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 335 TalbartOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest
Original Buckley Home William Buckley was in charge of the Carquinez Ferry piers and slips. Later home to several Italian fishing families.
Built 1884 — Map (db m91653) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 413 Talbart
Old Town Martinez Home of Historic Interest Original home of Antonio and Marian Bruno Russo of Sicily. Later home to bocce champion, Gino di Tullio and wife, Mimma of Pozzuoli Italy Circa 1900 — Map (db m17463) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 535 TalbartOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest
. . . — Map (db m91664) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 605, 607 & 615 TalbartOld Town Martinez — Home of Historical Interest
Original home of fisherman Nino Cardinalli & family who operated Cardinallis Fish Market at 604 Alhambra. He & wife Jenny, were parents of former county supervisor Nancy Fahden Built 1913 — Map (db m91663) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 624 Talbart StreetOld Town Martinez — Home of Historic Interest
Prosser Home Dutch Colonial built as a wedding gift for Alice, daughter of James Rodgers Sr Granddaughter of the Buckleys Built 1919 — Map (db m91725) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — XIV — 736 Ferry Street1906
Built after the Fire of 1904 that consumed the entire block Occupied in 1881 by Contra Costa Telephone Company founded in 1881 by J. Borland which was sold to Pacific Bell Telephone Company in 1892 with R. Borland as superintendent for 40 years . . . — Map (db m53919) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 16 — 815 Marina VistaCirca 1870
Built by William Jones, Hotelkeeper 1884 Bought by W.J. Hough and became "Hough's Saloon" 1891 Bought by Watkins Prosser 1915 Moved to present site Residence of Dr. H.D. Buckman family for many years Historic Marker XVI . . . — Map (db m16009) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — XII — Bergamini Building
Built by Maximillian Bergamini in 1905 to replace grocery and notions store that was leveled in block-wide fire of August, 1904. Historic Marker XII Martinez Historical Society October 11, 1997 — Map (db m53997) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Billeci Family HomeOld Town Martinez - Home of Historic Interest — 425 Talbart
Fisherman Giovanni Billecci immigrated to Martinez in 1899. After serving both in the French & Italian armies he and his wife Grazia, raised 14 children in this home. Built 1916. — Map (db m53573) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Birthplace of The Martini
On this site in 1874, Julio Richelieu, bartender, served up the first martini when a miner came into his saloon with a fistful of nuggets and asked for something special. He was served a "Martinez Special." After three or four drinks, however, the . . . — Map (db m57975) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Borland Home
This Victorian cottage was the home of the Robert Borland Family. Built in 1890 by Dr. John S. Moore, D.D.S., and originally used as his dental office. The property was inherited by his daughter, Mrs. Emma Moore Borland. The Martinez Historical . . . — Map (db m16730) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Capt Hewitt HomeOld Town Martinez - Home of Historic Interest — 405 Marina Vista
Framed house shipped around the Horn from the East Coast to San Jose. Eventually barged to Martinez. Later home to several Italian fishing families Built 1870's — Map (db m53078) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Capt. Joseph R. Walker
In memory of Capt. Joseph R. Walker Pioneer Camped in Yosemite Nov. 13, 1833 Born Roan Co. Tenn Dec. 13, 1798 Died Oct 27, 1876 — Map (db m93539) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Captain Joseph R. Walker
This monument erected in honor of his contributions as a soldier, mountain man, and explorer who through his efforts and those of his breed such as Jim Bridger, Thomas Fitzpatrick, Jedediah Smith, helped explore and open the way to the West. There . . . — Map (db m93508) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — IX — City Hall Apartment Building
Built in 1914 by Mayor John J. McNamara, George J. Winkleman and James E. McNarmara 1st apartment building in Martinez. Built during refinery boom. Unique because it sits astride Alhambra Creek. Retail stores were on 1st floor, . . . — Map (db m51307) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — I — Contra Costa County Courthouse1901
County Seat Since April 25, 1851 Martinez Historical Marker I — Map (db m24318) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Dedicated to the Family of Don Ignacio Martinez
Dedicated to the family of Don Ignacio Martinez, who settled El Rancho Pinole in 1830. Many of his descendants rest here, members of one of Contra Costa's first families. Dedicated by Joaquin Murrieta Chapter 13 E Clampus Vitus September . . . — Map (db m53061) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Dr. John Marsh
. . . — Map (db m40614) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Former Anti-Aircraft W.W. II Barracks
324-328 Talbart Home of Historic Interest Former anti-aircraft W.W.II barracks, moved from Concord in 1961. Prior site of shared water tank house for neighboring two homes Built 1930 — Map (db m17177) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — God's Acre
Potters field at Alhambra Cemetery. Here, marked by numbered headstones the size of bread loaves, are buried over 600 poor and unknown early pioneers of California and Martinez. The earliest known burial was in 1853 and they continued until the . . . — Map (db m93541) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — III (3) — Hilson's
On this site in 1852, Hiram Fogg began a mercantile store. Operating since as: 1854 - 1897 Simon Blum & Bro. 1897 - 1912 Baer Bros. 1912 - 1986 Hilson's — Map (db m93573) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Home of County Supervisor
334 Talbart Old Town Martinez Home of Historic Interest Home of County Supervisor & Grangers Warehouse mngr, Robnson Jones(1873). Later sold to dog catcher, Capt., Horton (1893) who impounded stray dogs on the property. Built . . . — Map (db m17184) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — XIII — Hook Building1926
Built to replace building destroyed by fire in 1925 Originally built in 1854 by pioneer & prominent landowner William Hook 1802-1885 Occupied by the James Hotel - James Bulger, proprietor Until closed in 1979 Historic Marker . . . — Map (db m40601) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Hook Family
William Hook came to the California gold country in 1850 to sell mining equipment and build mining machinery. In 1853 Hook opened a general store at the corner of Ferry and Main Streets in Martinez. Over the years Hook brought up land in Contra . . . — Map (db m93510) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 1996 — James Rankin
In 1865, at the age of 17, James Rankin emigrated from a Scottish coal mining town after hearing of the "Black Gold" in Contra Costa. He worked with pick and shovel in the underground mines of Somersville. In 1885, Rankin was elected sheriff and . . . — Map (db m93506) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — James RankinBorn in Larnackshire, Scotland, April 25, 1848
Coal miner, store and hotel owner, Justice of the Peace, mine manager and owner, rancher, County Sheriff, banker and community leader. At seventeen, in 1865, James Rankin left his family and emigrated from Scotland, landing in New York City. . . . — Map (db m93543) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Joe DiMaggio's BirthsiteOld Town Martinez - Site of Historic Interest — Right Next Door —»
Joe DiMaggio was born here 11/25/1914. The 8th of 9 children to parents Giuseppe and Rosalia. Later moved to San Francisco, but returned often to this neighborhood to visit family. The home burned down in 1948. — Map (db m53000) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 312 — John Muir Home
Ranch home of John Muir 1838- 1914, explorer, naturalist, author and foremost advocate of forest protection and of national parks. The John Muir Trail through the High Sierra, Muir Woods National Monument and Muir Glacier in Alaska are named for him. — Map (db m51132) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Marazzani Boarding House
. . . — Map (db m16211) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Martinez Public Library
1883-1896 Martinez Free Reading Room and Library Housed in building owned by Dr. John Strentzel 620 Main Street 1896-1941 Main & Estudillo Land donated by Mrs. John Strentzel and Louie Strentzel Muir Building built at the cost of . . . — Map (db m53872) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Martinez Train DepotDedicated September 22, 2001
The City of Martinez has been the home of a train station along the waterfront for 125 years. The first station (approximately 200 yards to the east of this site) was erected in 1876 and closed in 2001 when this station was opened. More than . . . — Map (db m93542) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Martinez Troops-In-Transit CanteenFormer Site Of — Opened October 17, 1943 • Closed February 15, 1946
World War II 401,522 traveling servicemen and women, escorts, and children given rest and refreshment served by 1,438 volunteer hostesses Community supported • U.S.O. aided — Map (db m53423) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Martinez-Benicia Ferry"Gateway to the Gold Fields"
Founded by Dr. Robert Semple in 1847, the Martinez-Benicia ferry was the first established and longest operating ferry service in the S.F. Bay Area. In 1850 Oliver Coffin took over the operation and with his brothers purchased a new ferryboat, the . . . — Map (db m27645) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — XI — McNamara-McMahon Building1905
. . . — Map (db m40612) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Morgan House
Dedicated April 23, 2000 Morgan House Pony Express Route Apr. 23, 1860 - Sep. 8, 1861 Home Station Apr. 16, 1869 - Sep.8, 1861 By James Stretesky Supervisor Gayle B. Uilkema Martinez Area Chamber of Commerce Pony Express Trail . . . — Map (db m24369) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Original Costanza Macaroni FactoryOld Town Martinez - Home of Historic Interest — 435-437 Marina Vista
When factory moved to San Francisco in 1915, became the San Filipo home. One of only two S.F. style row houses in Martinez. Built 1889 — Map (db m53077) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Original Pizzamenti Family HomeOld Town Martinez - Home of Historic Interest — 435 Talbart Street
The family manufactured fishing nets for the local fishing community. Home later sold to the Di Maggios, a prominent fishing family. Built 1904 — Map (db m53079) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Pellegrini Home and Fish Company
103 Berrellesa Old Town Martinez Home of Historic Interest Pellegrini Home and Fish Company Luigi Pellegrini was a successful turn of the century fish buyer. This building opens to Alhambra Creek for easy fish unloading and . . . — Map (db m16212) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — XIII (13) — Pioneer Cemetery
In this cemetery are laid to rest many of the early California pioneers, settlers and their families. One of the more famous is Joseph Reddeford Walker, XNGH - mountain man, guide and pathfinder. — Map (db m93507) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Pony Express Ferry "Carquinez"
Dedicated April 23, 2005 Martinez By James Stretestky · Julian M. Frazer · Martinez Historical Society · Mayor Rob & Carole Schroder · Supervisor Gayle B. Uilkema · Vice Mayor Mark & Dianne Ross · Tesoro's Golden Eagle Refinery · . . . — Map (db m19224) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — V — Rankin Building
Built in 1905 by Mrs. James Rankin after fire destroyed two city blocks Palm Garden Grill W.C. Reed - Confectioner & Stationer E. Pasch - Haberdasher A.B. Wilson - Jeweler & Optician Historic Marker No. V Martinez Historical . . . — Map (db m27647) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 6 — Southern Pacific R.R. Depot
First located here April 28, 1876 by Central Pacific R.R. First passenger train passed through on September 25, 1877 with Leland Stanford aboard. Historic Marker No. VI Martinez Historical Society July 4, 1991 — Map (db m19225) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 18 — State Theatre800 Ferry Street
Designed Art Deco style by the Reid Brothers Architects/San Francisco Built by John McNamera 1922 Premier opening July 2, 1926 Closed due to fire 1931 Reopened 1932 Closed 1961 Purchased by Contra Costa County 1998 Presently . . . — Map (db m17208) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — The Christian Brothers Winery
In the city, from 1879 to 1932, the 70 acre parcel of land extending in a triangle from what is now Bush Street to Pacheco Boulevard to Brown Street to Alhambra Creek was owned by The Christian Brothers Religious Teaching Order, Founded by Saint . . . — Map (db m112828) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — VIII — The National Bank of MartinezFounded 1924
R.E. Claeys J.W. McClellan M. Pistochini J. Comazzi O.K. Smith G. Winkelman J. Sparacino Robert B. Borland  President A.J. Heald  Cashier P. Ferrarini  Vice President Bank of Italy  1927-1930 Bank of America  1930-1951 Historical . . . — Map (db m40610) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — The Schooner Forester
In front of you lay the hull remains of the schooner Forester. The schooner, launched in Alameda in 1900, would take cargoes of lumber from northern forests of Oregon and Washington to points in the Pacific including China, India, and Australia. The . . . — Map (db m91668) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 511 — The Vicente Martinez Adobe - 1849
Vicente Martínez was born in Santa Barbara on August 18, 1818, the second son of Don Ygnacio and Martina de Arellano Martínez who were married in the Presidio Chapel at Santa Barbara 1802. Don Ygnacio Martínez was a Spanish officer at San Diego and . . . — Map (db m50827) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 511 — Vicente Martinez Adobe
In 1849, Vicente Martinez built a two-story adobe ranch house on his portion of the Rancho Pinole. This land was inherited from his father, Don Ignacio Martinez, a Spanish officer who became Comandante of the San Francisco Presidio and later Alcade . . . — Map (db m50821) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Moraga — Joseph Joachin Moraga1741-1785
Grandfather of the co-grantee of Rancho Laguna de los Palos Colorados, he founded San Francisco by establishing there the Mission and Royal Presidio of St. Francis in 1776. In 1777 he founded the Mission Santa Clara and the Pueblo of San Jose. . . . — Map (db m91803) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Moraga — 5 — Moraga Barn
. . . — Map (db m49762) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Moraga — 1 — Old Moraga Townsite
Named for Joaquin Moraga, who in 1835 was granted 13,000 acres from the Mexican government and established Rancho Laguna de Los Palos Colorados. A Moraga townsite was conceived by A.A. Grant and J.A. Williamson in 1894. James Irvine purchased a . . . — Map (db m31102) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — Bryant Station Site
Bryant Station was the terminus of the California and Nevada Railroad, a narrow-gauge steam line which transported local harvests to the Emeryville docks. The railroad, formed in 1881, was originally planned to run passengers and freight to the . . . — Map (db m24647) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — The deLaveaga StationLandmarking Orinda's History
Did you know that Orinda once had a railroad? This building is the only remaining station of the California & Nevada Railroad. The C&N, a narrow gauge line constructed in 1890, ran 23 miles between Emeryville and Orinda hauling farm . . . — Map (db m123143) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — The Pony Express
Pony Express Trail This plaque commemorates the passage in 1860 and 1861 of the Pony Express riders from Sacramento to San Francisco through what is now Orinda. Sponsored by the City of Orinda's Historical Landmark Committee and the Pony . . . — Map (db m29913) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — Tres Ranchos Del SurBoundary Marker and Monument — Historic Landmark - The City of Orinda
Ordinance Number 03-07 October 7, 2003 The junction of three Mexican land grants - Rancho Acalanes, Rancho El Sobrante and Rancho Laguna de los Palos Colorados - is located approximately 500 feet uphill from the end of Hillcrest Drive. . . . — Map (db m91848) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pinole — Bank of PinoleBuilt 1915
Neo - Classic Architecture has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m94254) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pinole — Fernandez Mansion - 1894
This monument marks the site of Pinole's birthplace and the center of its activities until the early 20th Century. The beginning of Pinole was built on the waterfront and around the mouth of Pinole Creek during the latter half of the 19th Century. . . . — Map (db m94258) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pinole — The Hay Schooner Carlotta
One of a fleet of ships owned by Bernardo Fernandez and used to transport grain around the bay. Sank - Early 1900s. Uncovered and Raised - May 15, 1976. — Map (db m94257) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pittsburg — “The Steelworker in Pittsburg”Dedicated September 10, 1995 — Sculptor: Frank Vitale
Gone are the days when steelworkers in the rolling mill toiled in extreme heat, catching red-hot steel rods equipped only with a pair of tongs, cotton gloves and leather shin guards. Today’s steelworker is a pace setter in manufacturing innovation, . . . — Map (db m37432) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pittsburg — Bank of America
The First National Bank Building was designed by E.L. Norberg and built by G.H. Fields & Co. in 1921. In January 1927, the bank was purchased by Liberty Bank of San Francisco, which then merged with Bank of America Los Angeles later the same day. . . . — Map (db m37488) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pittsburg — Black Diamond
In 1860, at the confluence of the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers, settlers founded the village of Black Diamond. Named for the coal that was mined in the Mount Diablo foothills, the village of Black Diamond flourished as a shipping port for coal . . . — Map (db m91846) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pittsburg — Federal Relocation of Italians in America During World II
In Remembrance of the Injustice Caused by the Federal Relocation of Italians in America During World War II From February 24, 1942 to October 12, 1942, nearly 1600 Italian residents of Pittsburg, California, having been declared . . . — Map (db m37444) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pittsburg — Pittsburg Post Dispatch Building
Built in 1923, this brick building was the home of the Coast Counties Gas and Electric Company which provided utilities to the City of Pittsburgh. The company closed its office in the 1950s and the building became a newspaper publishing and . . . — Map (db m37423) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pleasant Hill — CinéArts Theatre
Over 900 people attended a champagne gala to celebrate the opening of the first theatre in the young city of Pleasant Hill. The first movie shown that night of February 21, 1967 was "Dr. Zhivago". Originally built for Century Theatres, the . . . — Map (db m114353) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Pleasant Hill — Rodgers Ranch
Patrick Rodgers left Ireland for America C. 1843 at the age of 10, without his family. In 1855, he arrived in California for the Gold Rush. In 1868, he and his wife, Mary Ann, bought this 149-acre site to grow wheat. The Rodgers, along with eight . . . — Map (db m99625) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Port Costa — McNear Warehouse
This warehouse was built in 1886 by G.W. McNear, as the first fireproof building in Contra Costa County. It was built for the storage of wheat, hay and potatoes. From 1881 to 1882 one-hundred and three ships of wheat were loaded in Port Costa. It . . . — Map (db m94253) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Port Costa — The Burlington HotelEstablished 1883
Port Costa's old timers are quite certain that the rumor of the Burlington Hotel being a bordello is untrue. Their reasoning is that the respected owners and their families lived nearby, therefore it could not have been a bordello. However, the . . . — Map (db m57971) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — "The Sentinel"Kirk St, Maur — Sculptor
Dedicated October 20, 1984 Mayor Thomas J. Corcoran City of Richmond, California History of the Indian Statue The first Indian statue was commissioned and dedicated at this site in 1909 by the Women's Westside Improvement Club. . . . — Map (db m94712) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — "Victory ships were a bigger, complicated ship."Reverend Ross Hidy, pastor — S.S. Red Oak Victory
The S.S. Red Oak Victory is an example of the enormous scale of work completed by ordinary men and women to help the war effort. Constructed in eight-seven days, the S.S. Red Oak Victory was one of ten Victory ships commissioned by the United States . . . — Map (db m94840) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — "I was truly there and did my part to the end." -- Addie Mae Cance, former shipyard workerShipyard No. 3
You are standing in Shipyard No. 3, which represents one of the many industrial complexes which operated to support America in World War II. Over 90,000 skilled and unskilled workers from across the country relocated to Richmond, California to find . . . — Map (db m94832) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — "It was a real workhorse." -- Jim Cannon, Marketing Director, Levin-Richmond Terminal CorpWhirley Crane
Whirley cranes were an essential part of Richmond Shipyard's manufacturing capabilities during World War II. Named for the turret's ability to rotate (whirl) 360 degrees, the cranes could handle massive amounts of steel - lifting and moving large . . . — Map (db m94830) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Bank of Richmond201 West Richmond Avenue — April 1902
In 1902 the Bank of Richmond occupied the main floor. The upstairs offices housed the early phone exchange. Richmond's first paper, 'The Point Richmond Record' was published by Lyman Naugle in the basement. In 1910 the building was remodeled and the . . . — Map (db m94710) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — By Land and By Sea
San Francisco Bay is known for more than its great beauty. Its large estuary, where sea water mixes with huge river flows, is also a major port. Richmond's deep natural waterfront lent itself to early industrial development. Augustin Macdonald . . . — Map (db m94738) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Clay, Kilns & BrickBrickyard Cove • Ferry Point Loop • San Francisco Bay Trail
Only expansive brown mudflats, backed by rolling hills ablaze with orange poppies in the spring, were found here at Brickyard Cove until the Santa Fe Railway came to Ferry Point in the early 1900s, three brick manufacturing companies arrived. The . . . — Map (db m94739) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Dynamic Wartime Port
"They were from all over the country... all these people came to work here in Richmond at the shipyards...The shipyards, the cannery, there was a lot of industry here...They had three yards, and they were sending out ships every day... and I . . . — Map (db m94755) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Rosie the Riveter MemorialHonoring American Women's Labor During WWII
The area where you are now standing was alive with activity during World War II, when it was known as Kaiser Shipyard #2. It was one of four shipyards carved from Richmond's coastline to serve the war effort. The Rosie the Riveter Memorial . . . — Map (db m94433) HM WM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — CHL 1002-1 — Site of Giant Powder Company
Pt. Pinole is the last site of the Giant Powder Company, the first company in America to produce dynamite. Following devastating explosions at their San Francisco and Berkeley sites, the business moved to this isolated location in 1892. . . . — Map (db m94271) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — The Critchett Hotel
160 Washington Avenue site of The Critchett Hotel Built in 1900 - 25 rooms Often called "Mechanics Hotel" This was a first class hotel with a splendid dining hall built and owned by Frank Critchett. The land was donated by John Nicholl to . . . — Map (db m50483) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — The Ford Assembly Building
Four panels, in two sets of two, describe the pre- and post-war history and uses of the Ford Assembly Building: 1930-1939 Ford Model A "Quality means doing it right when no one is looking." -- Henry Ford The Ford . . . — Map (db m94768) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — The Home Front LegacyThe Home Front Legacy
"The war shed light on America's promise. It created an explosion that accelerated change all the way into the 1960s." -- Betty Reid Suskin With World War II officially ended, Richmond filled with celebration in September, 1945. Years . . . — Map (db m94765) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — The Richmond Supply Company Building
This building was built in 1903 at 139 West Richmond Avenue by J.Q. Black who supplied the area with coal, wood, hay, and grain. Robert Dornan Sr. bought the building in 1909 and added the service of moving goods. In 1911 he bought a truck and . . . — Map (db m49804) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — War BoomtownRemnants of a Shipbuilding Past
"All these ships were being built (in Richmond) and it provided a lot of employment... But looking back, it was really a boon to their economy. The stores were just really bustling...it was full of people..." -- Stella Faria, shipyard office . . . — Map (db m94753) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Wartime Changes
" I think that during World War II...there was a tremendous amount of patriotism. I think that was the important thing. It was a real job and you did something for the war effort. -- Maggie Gee, Army pilot People moved to Richmond from . . . — Map (db m94740) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — Women's Westside Improvement Club
Established July 7, 1908, for the purpose of improving the quality of life in Point Richmond, the Women's Westside Improvement Club is responsible for the original Indian statue fountain, a reading room that became the Westside Branch Library, this . . . — Map (db m94711) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Rodeo — Lefty Gomez Field
In Memory of Vernon Lefty Gomez, born Nov. 26, 1908, in Rodeo. New York Yankees pitching great from 1930-1942. Set World Series record with 6 victories and no defeats leading team to 7 pennants and 6 World Series Championships. Inducted into the . . . — Map (db m18033) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Rodeo — The De Anza Expedition in Rodeo
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by Decree of Carlo III of Spain led an expedition near this site — the mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris Birkland . . . — Map (db m24728) HM

274 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 74
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.