Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lucas County Ohio Historical Markers

 
Roger T. Durbin Marker image, Touch for more information
By Rev. Ronald Irick, September 25, 2012
Roger T. Durbin Marker
Ohio (Lucas County), Berkey — 58- 48 — Roger T. Durbin — 1920 - 2000 — Driving Force Behind the National WW II Memorial —
On Sylvania-Metamora Rd (County Route 4), on the right when traveling west.
Side A Roger T.Durbin 1920- 2000 According to fellow World War II veteran and US Senator Bob Dole, Roger T. Durbin was “the public persona- the beacon- of the drive to build a National World War II Memorial in out nation’s . . . — Map (db m80534) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Berkey — 33-48 — The Old Territorial Road — Ohio Historical Marker
On Sylvania-Metamora Road at North Berkey Southern Road (Ohio Route 295), on the left when traveling west on Sylvania-Metamora Road.
The earliest improved public road west from Lake Erie to the Indiana border, the Territorial-Indiana Road was built by the U.S. Government in 1834-1835 through the Cottonwood Swamp, then a major obstacle to travel. It ran parallel to the Harris . . . — Map (db m27756) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Holland — 59-48 — Birthplace of Alexander Drabik — 1910-1993
On Wolfinger Road west of West Bancroft Street, on the right when traveling west.
Side A Birthplace of Alexander Drabik Alexander Albert Drabik was born here, in a log cabin, on December 28, 1910 to John Drabik and Frances Lewandowski, Polish immigrants from Szymborze, Germany, now Poland. Alex, . . . — Map (db m94771) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Holland — 38-48 — The Oak Openings Regions
On South McCord Road at Holly Drive, on the right when traveling south on South McCord Road.
Ice Age glaciers formed the distinct landscape of the Oak Openings Region, which is dominated by rolling sand dunes and wet prairies interrupted by clusters of oak trees. Although the sandy soil did not support agriculture well, the early . . . — Map (db m94713) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — 63-48 — 41st Regiment of Foot - War of 1812 / Private Patrick Russell
On River Road at Michigan Avenue, on the left when traveling south on River Road.
[Front Side of Marker]: 41st Regiment of Foot - War of 1812 Near this site, in the War of 1812, stood the British encampment during the First Siege of Fort Meigs from May 1-9, 1813. This marker honors members of the 41st Regiment of . . . — Map (db m65056) HM WM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — A Long March
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
As peace negotiations continued without success, General Wayne's slow and strenuous march through Ohio moved massive amounts of supplies, horses and artillery to support his 2,000 soldiers. Along the way, Wayne's army built supply depots and . . . — Map (db m90902) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — A Strategic Location
Near River Road at Michigan Avenue.
The British constructed Fort Miamis at the foot of the Maumee River rapids to challenge U.S. General Anthony Wayne and his Legionnaires marching through the Ohio country in 1794. Besides preventing a U.S. advance on British-controlled Detroit, . . . — Map (db m76970) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Aftermath of War
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
Once assured the Western Confederacy was not returning, Wayne marched his troops within cannon range of Fort Miamis. To assert American presence, Wayne encamped there and sent a series of letters to British Major William Campbell. After three . . . — Map (db m90969) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Alliances — Main Battle Line
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
The Western Confederacy united three prominent Nations: the Miami, Shawnee, and Delaware, with additional members from other Nations. Chief Little Turtle of the Miami, Blue Jacket of the Shawnee and Buckongahelas of the Delaware were the primary . . . — Map (db m93110) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — American Faces — Americans
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
There were multiple noteworthy Americans at the Battle of Fallen Timbers and the Treaty of Greenville. Perhaps you've heard of a few? William Henry Harrison Served under General Anthony Wayne at the Battle of Fallen Timbers. . . . — Map (db m91021) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — American Indians at the Battle of Fallen Timbers
On Fallen Timbers Lane, on the right when traveling north.
In memory of all the American Indians who gave their lives at this place, including members of the following tribes. Chippewa           Ottawa Delaware           Potawatami Miami           Shawnee Mingo           Wyandot Dedicated August 20, 1994 . . . — Map (db m85707) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Archeology & Artifacts — Main Battle Line
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
In 1995, after years of research, Dr. G. Michael Pratt led an archeological survey on a field west of the floodplain previously believed to be the site of the battle. A successful dig turned up artifacts such as buckshot, rifle fragments and . . . — Map (db m93178) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — 46-48 — Battle of Fallen Timbers
On North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
[Front Side Text of Marker] : "Battle of Fallen Timbers" The Battle of Fallen Timbers, fought on August 20, 1794, is one of the most significant events relating to post-Revolutionary War America. Major General "Mad" Anthony Wayne led . . . — Map (db m54542) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Battle of Fallen Timbers
On Fallen Timbers Lane, on the right when traveling east.
This monument and nine-acre site commemorates the Battle of Fallen Timbers, fought August 20, 1794, between a confederation of Indian tribes and General Anthony Wayne’s Legion of the United States. Treaty of Greenville   1795General Anthony . . . — Map (db m89200) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — British Betray Indian Allies
Near River Road at Michigan Avenue.
After U.S. victory at the Battle of Fallen Timbers on August 20, 1794, the retreating American Indians fled to Fort Miamis. But the British troops - betraying earlier assurances - denied their Indian allies access to the fort. U.S. troops . . . — Map (db m76877) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Caught Off Guard
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
To prepare for battle, warriors from the Western Confederacy followed a fasting ritual. An unexpected two-day wait, caused by General Wayne's construction of Camp Deposit, left the warriors famished and dehydrated. On the morning of the battle, . . . — Map (db m90903) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Cover and Camouflage — August 20, 1794 —
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
The natural land features and geography of the land played a major role in determining the battle strategy for both forces. This, combined with the thick forests and downed timber, caused by a tornado, was a landscape that favored the Western . . . — Map (db m90927) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — C27 — Dudley's Massacre — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
On River Road 0.1 miles north of East John Street, on the right when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m18774) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Early American Defeats
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
Feeling confident after defeating the British in the Revolutionary War, the U.S. stood little chance of success against the better ordered Western Confederacy forces. As a result the well-organized natives led by Little Turtle and Blue Jacket . . . — Map (db m90318) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Fallen Timbers
On Fallen Timbers Lane 0.5 miles north of U.S. 24, on the left when traveling west.
Resentment by the Indians against white encroachment reached a peck in the 1790’s. Encouraged by the British, they began to raid settlements. Two poorly organized American military campaigns, led by General Josiah Harmar in 1790 and Governor Arthur . . . — Map (db m19568) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Fallen Timbers Battle Memorial — In Memoriam
Near Fallen Timbers Lane 0.5 miles north of U.S. 24, on the left when traveling west.
On the Battlefield of Fallen Timbers, in unmarked graves, rest the brave soldiers of General Anthony Wayne's Legion of the United States and the Kentucky Volunteers, who were killed on August 20, 1794, in the victorious conflict with the Indians and . . . — Map (db m20004) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Fallen Timbers Battle Monument
Near State Park Road 0.1 miles south of Fallen Timbers Lane.
(Front) The Greenville Treaty To General Anthony Wayne who organized the “Legion of the United States” by order of President Washington and defeated Chief Little Turtle’s warriors here at Fallen Timbers August 20, 1794. . . . — Map (db m8175) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — C — Fallen Timbers Battlefield — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
On West River Road at Jerome Road, on the left when traveling north on West River Road. Reported missing.
. . . — Map (db m76985) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Fallen Timbers Battlefield and Fort Miamis National Historic Site
On River Road at Michigan Avenue, on the left when traveling south on River Road.
This park commemorates battles and treaties with the British and American Indians that led to the westward expansion of the United States and statehood for Ohio. In the 1790s, residents of the newly formed United States were starting to . . . — Map (db m65093) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Fighting Forces
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
Following the disastrous defeats of U.S. Generals Harmar and St. Clair by the Western Confederacy, President George Washington recalled Anthony Wayne from retirement to lead a new U.S. fighting force. Over the course of two years, General Wayne . . . — Map (db m90901) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — 4-48 — First Presbyterian Church — Ohio Historical Marker
On East Broadway Street at Gibbs Street., on the left when traveling west on East Broadway Street.
This congregation was organized January 9, 1820 by 11 charter members. In 1837 the structure was completed on land reserved for religious purposes on the first Maumee plat. A British gun battery stood on the site in the War of 1812. Additions to the . . . — Map (db m18772) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Fort Miamis — Anthony Wayne Parkway
On River Road at Michigan Avenue, on the left when traveling south on River Road.
On this site in 1794, the British built Fort Miamis to block Gen. Anthony Wayne's expected march on Detroit. Its strategic location commanded both the land and water routes in the Maumee Valley. The post, constructed after the manner of the noted . . . — Map (db m18738) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Fort Miamis — A British Outpost
Near River Road at Michigan Avenue.
British Troops constructed Fort Miamis on the banks of the Maumee River between April and August of 1794 with the help of local American Indians. Fort Miamis featured four bastions, a river battery, barracks, officers' quarters, supply buildings and . . . — Map (db m76876) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Fort Miamis Connection — Fort Miamis
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
As allies, the British government supported the Western Confederacy with supplies but did not authorize soldiers to assist in battle. For the British, the garrison at Fort Miamis was strictly a defensive barrier to Wayne's march northward. The . . . — Map (db m93177) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Fort Miamis During the War of 1812
Near River Road near Michigan Avenue.
In the spring of 1813, British troops returned to the site of Fort Miamis to again ally with a determined American Indian Confederacy struggling to expel American settlers from their homeland. The British successfully landed troops and artillery at . . . — Map (db m76878) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — 2-48 — House of Four Pillars — Ohio Historical Marker
On East Broadway Street 0 miles from Elizabeth Street, on the left when traveling west.
Theodore Dreiser wrote in 1900 his famous novel, Sister Carrie, in this house. It was built in 1835 and altered to Greek Revival Style in 1844. Dreiser acquired it in 1899. The house possesses most of the features typical of the American . . . — Map (db m25878) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — C — Hull's Crossing/Turkey Foot Rock — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Near North River Road 0 miles south of Jerome Road, on the right when traveling south. Reported missing.
. . . — Map (db m26401) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — 52-48 — Lucas County Children's Home — Ohio Historical Marker —
On River Road north of Carew Lane, on the right when traveling south.
For nearly a century, this 98-acre site was occupied by an orphanage that, over the years, cared for several thousand destitute children. Founded in nearby Toledo in 1867 as the Protestant Orphan's Home, the orphanage became the Lucas County . . . — Map (db m94699) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Maumee River Rapids
On N. River Road 0.1 miles east of Jerome Road, on the right when traveling east.
The Maumee River Rapids, made of exposed limestone bedrock, is an alvar, a habitat found only in Europe and here in the Great Lakes region. Alvars are rocky ledges with cycles of flooding and seasonal low water. Plants and animals live on the . . . — Map (db m68357)
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — 30-48 — Northern Light Lodge No. 40 Free and Accepted Masons
On W. Wayne Street west of Conant Street (U.S. 20), on the right when traveling west.
On March 5, 1817, Lieutenant Almon Gibbs, formerly of Army Lodge No. 24 at Fort Meigs, Perrysburg, formed Northern Light Lodge No. 40 "at Waynesfield" (now Maumee). Gibbs served as Worshipful Master, William Griffith as Senior Warden, and Charles . . . — Map (db m67523) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Partners in Preservation — The Battlefield
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
The Fallen Timbers Battlefield and Fort Miamis National Historic site exists for the benefit and education of the public thanks to the dedication of preservationists across the country. Metroparks of the Toledo Area owns and protects Fort Miamis and . . . — Map (db m93181) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Ready, Aim, Fire!
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
The Legion of 2,000 combatants was organized into four sub-legions, each containing companies of infantry, light infantry, riflemen and dragoons. Split into three columns the legion's left flank held the 2nd and 4th sub-legions, while the right . . . — Map (db m90938) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Running a Gauntlet
Near River Road at Michigan Avenue.
Desperate to break the British and American Indian siege of Fort Meigs, General William Henry Harrison ordered 800 Kentucky Militia under Colonel William Dudley to cross the Maumee River and destroy the British batteries. After seizing the . . . — Map (db m76969) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Side Cut Locks
Near West River Road 0.5 miles south of Ford Street.
The Side Cut section of the Miami and Erie Canal was completed in 1842 to provide a water connection from the canal down to the river at Maumee. It was two miles long with six limestone locks. Canal locks acted like elevators to raise and lower . . . — Map (db m28568) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — C — Site of Fort Miami — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Near River Road at Michigan Avenue. Reported missing.
. . . — Map (db m76958) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — The Battle Begins — Ravine — August 20, 1794 —
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
Wayne's advance units of scouts and militia collided with the Native Confederacy's position in the dense forest. In a fierce fight, the U.S. forces were driven back to the main columns of the Legion. Under the cover provided by the advance . . . — Map (db m90935) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — The Battle Ends — Kentucky Militia
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
The Western Alliance faced a more formidable foe at the Battle of Fallen Timbers. Although losses were equal on both sides, rumors of eight slain chiefs discouraged the Western Confederacy. They retreated to where Swan Creek meets the Maumee River. . . . — Map (db m90967) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — The Great Trail
On Detroit Avenue at River Road, on the right when traveling north on Detroit Avenue.
This Tablet Marks the Path Made previous to the French and Indian War By the Indians Who called it THE GREAT TRAIL It extended from Detroit to Pittsburg and was used by the French and British and by General Harrison in 1812. . . . — Map (db m21882) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — The Indian Wars — 1790 - 1795
On River Road at Michigan Avenue on River Road.
When American Pioneers attempted to settle the area north and west of the Ohio River, following the Ordinance of 1787, the Indians aided by the British in Canada, fought valiantly and fiercely for their homes in the Ohio Country. It required the . . . — Map (db m18821) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — 3-48 — The Old Plantation
On River Road at East Wayne Street, on the right when traveling south on River Road.
Levi Beebe built in 1836 this structure then known as the Commercial Building housing stores, bank, and post office. During the canal era, the building was a stagecoach stop and social center for Maumee, the Lucas County seat until 1853. Later the . . . — Map (db m27013) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — A84 — to Hull's Crossing / to River Raisin — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail — Hull-Winchester Marches —
On River Road at South Detroit Avenue, on the right when traveling north on River Road. Reported missing.
Ohio's Revolutionary Memorial Trail Text on North Side : Hull-Winchester Marches 1812 • Marches • 1813 - - - - - 5 Miles to Hull's Crossing Text on South Side : . . . — Map (db m93522) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Treaty of Greenville
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
In the summer of 1795, General Wayne and representatives of the Western Confederacy gathered at Fort Greenville in Ohio to negotiate a peace treaty. After a long winter with few supplies, deep distrust of the British and minimal shelter, the . . . — Map (db m90998) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Turkey Foot Rock
Near Fallen Timbers Lane 0.5 miles north of U.S. 24, on the left when traveling west.
Lower marker On this rock according to tradition, Chief Turkey Foot of the Ottawa Indians rallied his warriors during the Battle of Fallen Timbers. Here he was killed and for many years tribesmen made offerings of tobacco on the rock to . . . — Map (db m19572) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Unfair Negotiations — Treaty of Paris, 1783
Near North Jerome Road near Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
After the American Revolution, the arrival of more settlers to the Ohio Country threatened the fragile peace between Native Nations, the British and the United States. Land boundaries were set between the British and the U.S. at the Treaty of . . . — Map (db m90303) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — Why Fight Here?
Near North Jerome Road south of Monclova Road, on the left when traveling south.
The Maumee River Valley nurtured a hunter-gatherer life and later farming communities for thousands of Native Americans. The valley also attracted the French, British and American settlers because of navigable waterways and the fur trade. . . . — Map (db m90299) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Maumee — 5-48 — Wolcott House
On River Road 0.3 miles north of Key Street, on the left when traveling north.
This federal style house was built in 1827 by James A. Wolcott who migrated to Ohio in 1818 from Connecticut. Of distinguished parentage, Wolcott was a leading merchant, shipbuilder, judge and politician. Here he and his wife, Mary Wells, daughter . . . — Map (db m27023) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Oregon — The Johlin Cabin
Near Pearson Park Drive east of Lallendorf Road, on the left when traveling north.
Pearson Metropark is one of the last remaining pieces of the Great Black Swamp, which once blanketed much of the region.

The Johlin Cabin is a log home built in the swamp in 1867. Originally located about 1.5 miles from here on Corduroy . . . — Map (db m49495) HM

Ohio (Lucas County), Providence — 31-48 — Miami & Erie Canal — Ohio Historical Marker
Near River Road (U.S. 24).
The Wabash & Erie Canal opened between Toledo and Lafayette, Indiana, May 8, 1843. The Miami Extension Canal was completed to Junction, Ohio, on July 4, 1845, linking the Wabash & Erie Canal with Cincinnati and resulting in changing the canal’s name . . . — Map (db m19574) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Providence — St. Patrick’s Church — Providence — 1845 —
On South River Road (U.S. 24) at Providence Neapolis Swanton Road (County Route 109) on South River Road.
Fr. Amadeus Rappe, Pastor of St. Francis de Sales, Toledo, and Mission Pastor of all Northwest Ohio, supervised the building of this church in 1845. Peter Manor donated the land, 40,000 bricks, and 5,000 ft. of black walnut lumber for . . . — Map (db m132063) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Providence — The 150th Anniversary of the Great Starvation — 1845- 1850 — St. Patrick's Church —
On Providence Neapolis Swanton Road (County Route 109) at South River Road (U.S. 24), on the right when traveling south on Providence Neapolis Swanton Road.
The 150th Anniversary of the Great Starvation 1845- 1850 In memory of those who Perished and those who fled starvation, death and foreign oppression in Ireland to seek justice, freedom and a new way of life in America. (three . . . — Map (db m132064) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Swanton — 51-48 — Ohio's Last Ottawas / Swanton
On Airport Highway (Ohio Route 2) at Scott Road (County Route 107), on the right when traveling west on Airport Highway.
Side A Ohio's Last Ottawas Here in the Oak Openings Region of northwest Ohio, some of the last Ottawa villages in Ohio lined the banks of Swan Creek during the 1830s. These Native Americans were led by Chief Ottokee . . . — Map (db m94769) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — 1850 Barn
This is a replica of a barn built in 1850 on Sylvania-Metamora Road. In 2000, the original barn was dismantled and the timber beams were transported to the Historical Village where they were used in the reconstruction of the barn. The original . . . — Map (db m103703) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — 1858 Railroad Depot
Near Main Street.
The showpiece of the Historical Village is the original railroad depot building that served Sylvania residents for 98 years, from 1858 to 1956. It is the oldest train depot in existance in the State of Ohio. Built in 1858 and originally . . . — Map (db m103676) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — 62-48 — Centennial Terrace and Quarry / Fossil Park
On Centennial Road south of Sylvania-Metamora Road, on the left when traveling north.
Side A Centennial Terrace and Quarry In 1931, the France Stone Company ceased operations. Robert Burge leased 19 acres of the site for recreational swimming and opened Centennial Quarry in 1934. Five years later, . . . — Map (db m94772) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — 32-48 — Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad — Ohio Historical Marker
On Monroe Street 0.1 miles west of Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
This rail line was the original route of the Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad, the first railroad to operate west of the Allegheny Mountains. The train made its initial run on October 3, 1836 from Toledo to Adrian, a total of approximately thirty miles. . . . — Map (db m27749) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — 43-48 — Hindu Temple and Heritage Hall
Near King Road north of Wicklow Woods Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Side A Hindu Temple and Heritage Hall The Hindu Temple of Toledo was established in 1981 for the growing Hindu and Jain communities in northwest Ohio. Religious functions were initially held in a house located on a . . . — Map (db m94783) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — Log Home
Near Main Street.
This 1 1/2 story home was built in the 1840's. It was purchased in 1997 and moved to the Sylvania Historical Village from near Westin, Ohio, about 3 1/2 miles Southeast of Grand Rapids. The home was covered in asphalt shingles and had been . . . — Map (db m104987) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — Railroad Car Barn
Near Main Street.
This building is a reproduction of the center bays of the original Sylvania interurban car barn. It was located on South Main Street at Ten Mile Creek (near Sautter's Foodcenter). It houses two important pieces of Sylvania's rail history. . . . — Map (db m103650) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — Sister City Garden
Near Main Street.
Enjoy this beautiful and peaceful setting on the grounds of the Sylvania Historical Village. It celebrates the alliance of Sylvania with its sister city of Woodstock, Ontario in Canada. This alliance was formed between the two cities in 1992. . . . — Map (db m103611) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — Stone Academy
Near Main Street.
This school is a half-scale replica of the two story school that was built on this site in 1844. It was named "Stone Academy" because it was built out of local cut quarry stone. In 1869, a brick building replaced it called "Sylvania High School". . . . — Map (db m105029) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — Sylvania Heritage Museum
On Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
This circa 1902 house was the home and office of Dr. Uriah A. Cooke. His physician's office is still intact. Adjacent to the office is a replica of an early 1900's apothecary. The three-story house features the original hardwood flooring, window . . . — Map (db m103578) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — 55-48 — The Harroun Family Barn
On Harroun Road north of Ravine Drive, on the right when traveling north.
The David and Clarissa Harroun family migrated to Sylvania in 1835 and built their home, and in 1858 the barn, on this site. Four generations of this Harroun family called this property home, from 1835-1938. While here, David, Clarissa, and their . . . — Map (db m94722) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Sylvania — 54-48 — Toledo and Western Railway Company — Ohio Historical Marker —
On South Main Street south of Monroe Street, on the right when traveling north.
Side A Toledo and Western Railway Company Sylvania was once the headquarters for the Toledo and Western Railway, an electric interurban line that provided service between Toledo and Pioneer with a branch line to . . . — Map (db m94720) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — A Prehistoric Fort
On Miami Street (Ohio Route 65) at Hathaway Street, on the right when traveling south on Miami Street.
A Prehistoric Fort consisting of earthen walls accompanied by moats, formerly occupied this site. The walls, three to four feet high, probably were surmounted by palisades which together with the steep river banks, rendered the fort fairly secure . . . — Map (db m25860) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 41-48 — Art Tatum
On City Park Avenue south of Woodland Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Art Tatum was born in Toledo on October 13, 1909, the son of Arthur Tatum, Sr. and Mildred Hoskins Tatum. Despite being blind in one eye and only partially sighted in the other, he became one of the greatest jazz pianists of his era. To deal with . . . — Map (db m94866) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 26–48 — Canal Terminus / Manhattan — Ohio Historical Marker
On Summit Street at Marina Road, on the right when traveling north on Summit Street. Reported missing.
Marker Front: Canal Terminus The original northernmost lock in a canal system which linked Lake Erie with the Ohio River was located near the foot of LaSalle Street. Indiana’s Wabash & Erie Canal (1843 – 1874) . . . — Map (db m19439) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 66-48 — Edward Drummond Libbey High School
On Western Avenue (Ohio Route 2), on the right when traveling west.
Edward Drummond Libbey High School - “the castle on the hill” - opened in 1923 to serve the growing number of students in Toledo Public Schools. The school offered a curriculum of manual and academic training, reflecting a . . . — Map (db m136522) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 36-48 — Engine House Number One / Neptune Engine No. 1
On Orange Street south of North Huron Street, on the right when traveling south.
(Engine House Number One – marker side 1) Toledo's first fire station was built in November 1837 one city block due north of this site at the southwest corner of Cherry Street and Eagle Lane at 519 Cherry on what is now the . . . — Map (db m121491) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 9-48 — Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad — Ohio Historical Marker
On Emerald Street 0.1 miles east of Wade Street, on the right when traveling east.
[East side of Marker]:"Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad" The first railroad to operate west of the Allegheny Mountains was Toledo's colorful "Erie and Kalamazoo." Begun in 1832, the line was completed by 1836. Its rails were made of oak . . . — Map (db m27718) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 60-48 — First Chartered Girl Scout Council in the United States
On Monroe Street (Ohio Route 51) east of Robinwood Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Juliette Gordon Low (1860-1927) had a dream that young women could be independent, help others in need, and be responsible leaders in their communities. Low founded Girl Scouts of the United States of America with 18 girls on March 12, 1912 in her . . . — Map (db m94889) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 22-48 — First Congregational Church
On Collingwood Boulevard north of Virginia Street, on the left when traveling north.
Side A First Congregational Church Founded in 1833, this is the oldest congregation organized within Toledo's original boundaries. From 1844 to 1913 the church occupied a succession of three meeting houses on St. . . . — Map (db m94890) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — George Duncan Forsyth
On Mulberry Street near Sherman Street.
[Text on Front Side of Marker] F. C. L. [Text on Right Side of Marker] George Duncan Forsyth Lt. Co. B. 100th O. V. I. Captured at Limestone Station Sept. 8, 1863. Shot and Killed in Libby Prison. Apr. 12, 1864, . . . — Map (db m44765) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 37-48 — Historic Woodlawn Cemetery — Ohio Historical Marker —
On West Central Avenue at Auburn Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Central Avenue.
Founded in 1876 by a group of Toledo businessmen, Woodlawn Cemetery was designed in the tradition of the country's "rural cemetery" movement, which was first popularized in Europe in the 1830s. This movement reflects the change in American burial . . . — Map (db m27214) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — James B. Steedman — Major-General, U.S.V.
On North Summit Street at Galena Street, on the right when traveling north on North Summit Street.
[Front/South Side of Monument] James B. Steedman, Major-General, U.S.V. Carrick's Ford [Right/East Side of Monument] Erected by W.J. Finlay 1886 Nashville [Back/North Side of Monument] . . . — Map (db m44820) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 21-48 — Lucas County — Ohio Historical Marker
On Adams Street at North Erie Street, on the right when traveling west on Adams Street.
[Front Side/West Side of Marker]:"Lucas County" Lucas County was named for Governor Robert Lucas who championed Ohio's cause in the "Toledo War," a boundary dispute arising when both Ohio and the Michigan Territory claimed this area. . . . — Map (db m27221) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — Lucas County — Created June 20, 1835 — Named for Governor Robert Lucas —
Near Adams Street east of North Michigan Street (Ohio Route 25), on the left when traveling east.
Son of the Pioneers, born 1781. Recruited twenty Ohioans for duty in case of war with Spain over Louisiana Purchase. Brigadier General, 2nd. Brigade, 2nd. Division, Ohio Militia in War of 1812. Governor of Ohio 1832-36; enacted first laws . . . — Map (db m121994) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 24-48 — Medical College of Ohio — Ohio Historical Marker —
On MUOT Boulevard north of Glendale Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
State interest in medical education for northwest Ohio became a reality when the Medical College of Ohio at Toledo was established in December, 1964. Located initially at South Detroit and Arlington on Lucas County property, MCO moved to the present . . . — Map (db m94749) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — A86 — Michigan - Ohio State Line — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail — Hull-Winchester Marches —
On North Detroit Avenue south of Benore Road, on the right when traveling north. Reported missing.
Ohio's Revolutionary Memorial Trail Text on North Side : Hull-Winchester Marches 1812 • Marches • 1813 - - - - - MichiganOhio State Line Text on South Side : . . . — Map (db m93602) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 47-48 — Moses Fleetwood Walker
On Washington Street at North Huron Street, on the left when traveling east on Washington Street.
Moses Fleetwood Walker was born on October 7, 1856 in Ohio to Moses M. Walker, a physician, and Caroline, a midwife. He attended and played baseball at Oberlin College and the University of Michigan. In 1883, Walker joined the newly formed Toledo . . . — Map (db m94868) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — Peter and Robert Navarre
On Navarre Avenue at White Street, on the right when traveling east on Navarre Avenue.
Erected by Citizens of Toledo, East Side Commercial Club, and Ford Post, GAR Peter and Robert Navarre U.S. Scouts War of 1812 East Toledo Historical Society, 1989 — Map (db m19556) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — Peter Navarre — 1785 – 1874
On Windemere Boulevard at Manhattan Boulevard, on the right when traveling east on Windemere Boulevard.
Famous Scout Whose loyalty, courage, and resourcefulness aided the United States in retaining this territory during the War of 1812 – 1815. His grave is 400 feet south of this spot. This memorial erected October 6, 1923. by The Peter Navarre . . . — Map (db m19552) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 50–48 — Peter Navarre
On White Street at Ellis Avenue, on the left when traveling south on White Street.
(Front):Peter Navarre 1790-1874 Considered the first citizen of the East Side, Peter Navarre, along with his brother Robert, first settled the land east of the Maumee River in 1807. A fur trader by profession, Navarre . . . — Map (db m19555) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 10-48 — Port Lawrence / Fort Industry, 1805 — Ohio Historical Marker
On Jefferson Avenue at North Summit Street, on the right when traveling east on Jefferson Avenue.
[East Side of Marker]:"Port Lawrence" This pioneer village, which was united with its downriver rival, Vistula, to be incorporated as Toledo in 1837, was platted by Cincinnati businessmen in 1817. The "Panic" of 1819 caused the . . . — Map (db m25999) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — Private Mark Wood — Company C., 21st. Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Near Mulberry Street at Sherman Street.
Private Mark Wood, Company C, 21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry Died July 11, 1866 Congressional Medal of Honor winner Pvt. Wood, a union soldier during the Civil War, was a member of the famed Andrews Raiders, who took possession of the Confederate . . . — Map (db m19087) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — Spanish American War Memorial
On Jackson Street west of North Erie Street, on the left when traveling west.
This monument erected by Spanish War veterans, patriotic organizations and citizens of the city of Toledo to commemorate the valour and patriotism of the men who served in the War with Spain, Philippine Insurrection and China Relief Expedition . . . — Map (db m121997) WM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — State Line — 50th Anniversary of Michigan - Ohio Boundary Survey
On Edgewater Drive at Lost Peninsula Marina Drive, on the right when traveling north on Edgewater Drive.
[Front of Marker] STATE LINE Surveyed By S. S. Gannet Geographer United States Geological Survey 1915 [Ohio Side of Marker] OHIO Frank B. Willis Governor - - - - - Erected by Authority of The . . . — Map (db m21007) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 19-48 — The Blade
On North Superior Street 0.1 miles north of Jackson Street, on the left when traveling north.
(marker side 1) The Toledo Blade is the city's oldest continuing business. The newspaper was first published on December 19, 1835, during the Ohio-Michigan boundary dispute known as the "Toledo War." The name is derived from that . . . — Map (db m121496) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — The Great Trail
On North Detroit Avenue at Cherry Street, on the right when traveling north on North Detroit Avenue.
This Tablet Marks the Path Made previous to the French and Indian War By the Indians Who called it THE GREAT TRAIL It extended from Detroit to Pittsburg and was used by the French and British and by General Harrison in 1812. . . . — Map (db m27216) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 8-48 — The Oliver House — Ohio Historic Marker
On Broadway Street 0 miles south of Ottawa Street, on the right when traveling north.
[Front Side]:"The Oliver House" Overlooking the "Middlegrounds," an early site of railroad, immigration, and commercial activity, the Oliver House opened in 1859 as Toledo's premier hotel. It was designed by nationally prominent . . . — Map (db m26003) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 57-48 — The Toledo State Hospital New Cemetery, 1922-1973
On East Campus Drive 0.3 miles south of Arlington Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
[Front Side of Marker] : "The Toledo State Hospital New Cemetery, 1922-1973" Toledo State Hospital opened in January 1888 as the Toledo Asylum for the Insane. People were admitted with mild to severe forms of mental illness, and a . . . — Map (db m30782) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 56-48 — The Toledo State Hospital Old Cemetery, 1888-1922
On Arlington Avenue 0.3 miles west of South Detroit Avenue (U.S. 24), on the right when traveling west.
[Front Side of Marker] : "The Toledo State Hospital Old Cemetery, 1888-1922" Toledo State Hospital opened in January 1888 as the Toledo Asylum for the Insane. Originally located immediately south of this cemetery, the hospital was . . . — Map (db m30791) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 11-48 — The Toledo Zoo / The New Deal in Toledo
On Broadway Street near Shadowlawn Drive.
Side 1: The Toledo Zoo Now ranked among the country's finest, the zoo began in 1900 with one large woodchuck in a box at Walbridge Park. After the organization of the Toledo Zoological Society, 1905-10, the zoo began its steady growth, . . . — Map (db m29762) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 12-48 — The Toledo Zoo / Toledo's Canals
Near Anthony Wayne Trail (Ohio Route 25) north of Woodsdale Avenue.
[Front Side of Marker]:"The Toledo Zoo" Now ranked among the country's finest, the zoo began in 1900 with one large woodchuck in a box at Walbridge Park. After the organization of the Toledo Zoological Society, 1905-10, the zoo began . . . — Map (db m41959) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 7-48 — Toledo — Ohio Historical Marker —
On Jackson Road at North Huron Street, in the median on Jackson Road.
[Front Side of Marker, Facing South]:"Toledo" After consolidation of the villages of Fort Lawrence and Vistula, the City of Toledo was incorporated in 1837. Originally named "Toledo" in 1833, the site became part of Ohio when the . . . — Map (db m27063) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 13-48 — Toledo Museum of Art — Ohio Historical Marker —
On Monroe St. (Ohio Route 51) east of Robinwood Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Founded in 1901 under the leadership of Edward Drummond Libbey, who established the glass industry in Toledo, the Museum building was designed by the architect Edward Green. It was completed in three stages in 1912, 1926, and 1933. From the outset . . . — Map (db m94869) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 20-48 — Toledo’s Canals — Ohio Historical Marker
On Michigan Street at Jackson Street, on the left when traveling south on Michigan Street.
[Marker Front]: The first canal boat arrived in Toledo from Indiana in 1843 via the Wabash & Erie Canal. The Miami & Erie Canal from Cincinnati was completed in 1845. It joined the W&E Canal near Defiance and they shared the same course . . . — Map (db m19474) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 14-48 — Toledo's First High School / Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
On North Michigan Street at Madison Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Michigan Street.
SIde A Toledo's First High School Toledo High School opened in 1854 on the site of the city's first log schoolhouse. After an 1895 fire, it was rebuilt and named Central High School. The facility closed in 1914 with . . . — Map (db m94891) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — 6-48 — Vistula Historic District — Ohio Historical Marker
On Lagrange Street at North Summit Street, on the right when traveling east on Lagrange Street.
The pioneer village of Vistula is now bounded by Walnut, Champlain, Chestnut, Magnolia, and Summit streets. Established in 1833 by Benjamin F. Stickney and Edward Bissell, Vistula was merged with its rival, Port Lawrence, and in 1837 both villages . . . — Map (db m26318) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — War Savings Stamps — Lucas County
Near Adams Street east of North Michigan Street (State Route 25), on the left when traveling east.
In recognition of the Patriotism of the People of Lucas County who so generously purchased War Savings Stamps in 1918 this tablet is gratefully erected by the Ohio War Savings Committee — Map (db m121995) WM
Ohio (Lucas County), Toledo — William McKinley Monument
On Adams Street east of North Michigan Street (State Route 25), on the left when traveling east.
(panel 1) William McKinley Born at Niles – Trumbull County, Ohio January Twenty-Ninth – Eighteen Hundred and Forty-Three Volunteer Soldier of the Rebellion Representative in Congress Twice Governor of Ohio Twice . . . — Map (db m121996) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Watervile — 49-48 — Browning Masonic Community — Ohio Historical Marker —
On Browning Drive at Neowash Road (County Route 143), in the median on Browning Drive.
Text on Side A: Browning Masonic Community This location was selected in 1936 for a Memorial Home for aged Masons, at the wishes of Otis Avery Browning. Browning, a prominent Toledo businessman, book publisher, . . . — Map (db m94700) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Waterville — Bowling Green Fault
On Anthony Wayne Trail (Ohio Route 53) at South River Road, on the right when traveling north on Anthony Wayne Trail.
The Bowling Green Fault, a geological feature unique to the Great Lakes region, passes through Farnsworth Metropark. The 100-mile-long fault, which runs from south of Findlay into southern Michigan, is exposed at the Maumee River in the bedrock and . . . — Map (db m93223)
Ohio (Lucas County), Waterville — Fort Deposit / Roche de Bout — Anthony Wayne Parkway
On South River Road (U.S. 24) at Waterville Monclova Road, on the left when traveling west on South River Road.
Fort Deposit Gen. Mad Anthony Wayne built Fort Deposit near here on Aug. 19, 1794 when advancing against theforces ofthe hostile Indian Confederacy gathered at the foot of the Rapida. The following day, leaving Capt. Zebulon Pike with 200 . . . — Map (db m19589) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Waterville — 40-48 — John Pray - Founder of Waterville,Ohio / The Miami and Erie Canal
On North 4th Street at Farnsworth Road (Ohio Route 64), on the right when traveling north on North 4th Street.
East Side of Marker: "John Pray - Founder of Waterville, Ohio" Born in Rhode Island, John Pray (1783-1872) moved to the Maumee River Valley from New York shortly after serving in the War of 1812 and completing a . . . — Map (db m30795) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Waterville — 35-48 — Ohio Electric Railroad Bridge / Roche De Bout, Roche De Boeuf
On South River Road north of Anthony Wayne Trail (U.S. 24), on the right when traveling north.
[South Side of Marker]: "Ohio Electric Railroad Bridge" The Lima and Toledo Traction Company Bridge was construted in 1907 by the National Bridge Company of Indianapolis, and it was considered to be a revolutionary type of bridge . . . — Map (db m30799) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Waterville — C — Site of Fort Deposit / Roche de Boeuf — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
On South River Road at Anthony Wayne Trail (Ohio Route 53), on the right when traveling south on South River Road. Reported missing.
. . . — Map (db m93227) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Waterville — The Columbian House
On North River Road at Farnsworth Road, on the right when traveling south on North River Road.
This property has been Placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m25974) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Waterville — 64-48 — Wakeman Hall / Waterville Historical Society — Ohio Historical Marker —
On Farnsworth Road (Ohio Route 64) at North 4th Street, on the left when traveling west on Farnsworth Road.
Text on Side A: "Wakeman Hall" Henry Hanford Wakeman (1840-1879) of New York came to Waterville and became a successful businessman. He conceived the idea of a local Masonic Lodge, which became Wakeman Lodge No. . . . — Map (db m94698) HM

113 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement