Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Santa Clara County California Historical Markers

362 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 162
 
Alviso Marker and the South Bay Yacht Club image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, November 5, 2009
Alviso Marker and the South Bay Yacht Club
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — Alviso
∙∙∙Known as the El Embarcadero de Santa Clara in pre-American days. ∙∙∙Was the port of entry for San Jose prior to the coming of the railroad. ∙∙∙Surveyed and platted by C.S. Lyman in . . . — Map (db m24342) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — 69 — Bayside Canneryca. 1906 — City of San Jose – Capital of the Silicon Valley
Established ca.1906, Bayside Canning Company expanded to become the third largest cannery in the United States by 1931. Under the leadership of Thomas Foon Chew, Bayside was the first cannery in the world to can green asparagus. The main building . . . — Map (db m24364) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — China CampCa. 1895 — City of San Jose – Capital of Silicon Valley
This building served as lodging for many Bayside Cannery workers who normally lived in San Francisco or other distant cities. In addition to dorm rooms, the building also contained a kitchen and dining hall. During the cannery’s operation, this . . . — Map (db m24367) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — Discover Alviso’s Rich HistoryAlviso Marina County Park
Alviso’s marina today starkly contrasts with its past as a bustling seaport. In the mid-19th century, Alviso was a transportation hub through which crops, goods and people circulated, fueling the economic growth of the South Bay. Port activity in . . . — Map (db m24408) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — 67 — H.G. Wade’s Warehouseca. 1860 — City of San Jose Capital of Silicon Valley
Harry George Wade’s Warehouse was originally used to store hay and grain bound for San Francisco. It was later used to store stagecoaches for the Alviso to Monterey stage lines. In addition to being used by Wells Fargo and Company for stagecoach . . . — Map (db m24452) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — La Montagne Boarding Houseca. 1890 — City of San Jose Capital of Silicon Valley
Originally built as a private home, the house was remodeled in 1904 to serve as a boarding house for PG&E employees. It was later purchased by William Clampett and Jane Huxham in the 1920s. During the 1940s, boat restoration work for PG&E was . . . — Map (db m24450) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — Location, Location, LocationOnce a Hub for the South Bay
Because of its location at the mouth of the Guadalupe River, Alviso was deemed the ideal location for a seaport. In the 1830s and 40s, it was the only port where raw materials and crops could be shipped from the Santa Clara Valley to San Francisco. . . . — Map (db m24429) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — Salt PondsPast, Present, Future
Beginning with the Ohlone people, who harvested salt for local use and regional trade, small scale salt production on San Francisco Bay expanded into one of the largest industrial solar evaporation complexes in the world. Salt production transformed . . . — Map (db m24444) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — The Port and Town of Alviso
The Santa Clara County Parks and Recreation Department and The Santa Clara Valley Water District dedicated the Alviso Marina County Park on September 24, 2005. First known to the Ohlone Indians, the lands of The Alviso Marina County Park . . . — Map (db m24407) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — The Steamboat Jenny Lind Disaster
Beginning in the 1840s, the dock at Alviso served as Santa Clara County’s access to the San Francisco Bay. From this port, passengers boarded steamboats loaded with goods and produce bound for San Francisco and points beyond. In the early days of . . . — Map (db m64389) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — Union Warehouse and Docksca. 1850 — City of San Jose – Capital of the Silicon Valley
During Alviso’s years as a major shipping port, this warehouse was used for the storage of goods prior to shipping. It was later incorporated into Bayside Cannery and used as a cold storage and refrigeration plant. Today it stands as one of the . . . — Map (db m24345) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Alviso — Water EverywhereWater Seeks Its Own Level
Water in Alviso is a complex issue that touches on the environment, economics, and life safety. Already susceptible to flooding, Alviso’s situation was worsened by regional development. Hard paving, which prevented water absorption into the ground, . . . — Map (db m24414) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Agricultural Heritage Plaques
The Agricultural Heritage Plaques located throughout Historic Downtown Campbell were installed in 1992 as part of the Downtown Streetscape Project. The fruits and blossoms commemorating Campbell’s agricultural heritage were selected as most . . . — Map (db m24742) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Ainsley House
This Property Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior John Colpitts Ainsley, an Englishman, immigrated to California in 1886 and made his fortune in the canning of . . . — Map (db m24136) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Bank of Campbell
This Italian Renaissance-style building was constructed in 1911 to house the expanding business of the Bank of Campbell. The Bank of Campbell merged with the American Trust Company and remained here until 1938. This building has since been home . . . — Map (db m101519) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Bank of Campbell (Farley Building)Campbell Historical Location
Campbell’s first bank operated here from 1895 – 1911. Purchased by Guy Farley in 1923. Campbell Avenue’s oldest commercial building. — Map (db m24245) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Black Walnut TreesCampbell Historical Location
Black Walnut Trees planted about 1885 by William A. Swope, Son-In-Law of Benjamin Campbell, and daughters Alda Swope Blaine, Ethel Swope Davis, and Lena Swope French. — Map (db m24234) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Campbell Fire Station
The Campbell Volunteer Fire Department officially began in 1912. Keeping track of ladders was a problem and the need for a fire station became apparent. An ad placed in the newspaper urged "all parties to leave ladders belonging to fire dept. in . . . — Map (db m24251) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Country Woman's Club
The Campbell Country Woman's Club raised the funds to build this Spanish Colonial Revival-style structure in 1923. The town library and public meeting rooms were housed here until the 1960's . The Woman's Club founded the Campbell Historical . . . — Map (db m101521) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Courtyard
These Spanish Colonia Revival-style commercial unites were constructed in 1947 and originally called the Friendly Shopping Center. The two-story building as the back was once a farm house, circa 1913-1915, and originally stood up front on Campbell . . . — Map (db m101520) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Farley Building
This Renaissance Revival-style building, built in 1895, is the oldest structure in Campbell. By 1895, Ainsley Cannery and the Fruit Grower's Union employed hundreds of workers. The thriving town needed a local bank. The first Bank of Campbell was . . . — Map (db m101518) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — SCL-041 — Fire House #1Campbell Historic Location
First building owned by city after 1952 incorporation. Served as city offices from 1953 to 1956. Calif. Registered Point of Historical Interest No. SCL-041 — Map (db m24250) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Site of J.C. Ainsley Packing Company
Established 1888 A pioneer industrialist And public benefactor Park dedicated February 20, 1978 — Map (db m72007) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — South Pacific Coast Railroad
Incorporated March 29, 1876, and financed by Comstock Lode money. Its northern terminus was San Francisco Ferry Building. Passengers were transported by ferry to Alameda where they boarded the cars for their 77.6 mile rail ride to Santa Cruz. In . . . — Map (db m24171) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Cupertino — 800 — Arroyo de San Joseph Cupertino
This arroyo honoring San Joseph, patron saint of flight and students, was first discovered and traversed by Spanish explorers in 1769. On March 25-26, 1776 Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza made it his encampment No. 99 as mapped by his cartographer . . . — Map (db m54025) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Cupertino — Captain Elisha Stephens1804 - 1887 — A True Pioneer
Captain Stephens brought the first wagons over the snow covered Sierra Nevada Truckee Pass with no casualties in the Stephens-Murphy-Townsend party of 1844, arriving at Sutter's Fort with 11 wagons and 51 people plus 2 infants born on the way. . . . — Map (db m24125) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Cupertino — St. Joseph’s CollegeSeptember 10, 1924 – October 17, 1989
This monument marks the former campus of St. Joseph’s College. Established with the primary purpose of training candidates for Catholic Priesthood, the college also educated thousands of young men who entered public service throughout this country . . . — Map (db m58977) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — “Alcalde”John Cameron Gilroy — “Legacy of Gilroy” Commemorating the Historic Hospitality District
John Cameron Gilroy circa 1854 John Cameron Gilroy, native of Scotland, arrived in Spanish California in 1814, and became the first permanent English speaking settler. He married Maria Clara de la Ascencion Ortega, daughter of the family that . . . — Map (db m68909) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Bonesio Winery
This land was originally part of the El Rancho Solis granted in 1828. The main home is one of the oldest wooden structures in the county. Part of the present residence dates back to 1833 and the redwood timbers were hauled from Mt. Madonna for its . . . — Map (db m54056) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Butterfield Overland Stage
On September 16, 1857, John Butterfield, a New Yorker, received a contract with the U.S. Post Office Department to establish reliable transportation between Missouri and San Francisco. As a young man he joined with Henry Wells and William Fargo . . . — Map (db m57988) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Chitactac-Adams Heritage County Park
[This is a two-sided marker. Side-one being in English and Side-two being in Spanish:] [Side One:] CHITACTAC For over 3,000 years, this area around the Uvas Creek drainage supported large populations of ancestral Ohlone People. . . . — Map (db m18508) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Coyote Lake – Harvey Bear Ranch County Park
In the 1830s, most of what is now the park was located on the Rancho San Francisco de las Llagas granted to Carlos Castro. The reservoir is found on early public lands and also on the lesser Rancho La Polka granted to Isabel Ortega; her father, . . . — Map (db m18528) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Franklin Family RanchSanta Clara County Historical Site
Bernard and Mabel Franklin moved to this property after its purchase in 1895. The home at this location had been built approximately 20 years prior, from Mt. Madonna Redwood. It has been home to four generations of Franklins. Bernard helped build . . . — Map (db m54059) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Gilroy
John Gilroy arrived in Monterey in 1814 on one of the North-West Co. trading ships; "ISAAC TODD," which he deserted. He then fled to the Santa Clara Valley, marrying Maria Clara Ortega and settling on Rancho San Ysidro. His rightful name was John . . . — Map (db m112025) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Gilroy Carnegie Library
This Property Is Listed in the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Carnegie Library 1910 — Map (db m18470) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Henry Miller Summer Home
This park was once the summer home of "the cattle king" Henry Miller. Mr. Miller was the dominant partner in the firm Miller & Lux. The large foundation on your left was Mrs. Miller's home, and the other two foundations were a dining hall and . . . — Map (db m54057) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Old City HallGilroy, California
. . . — Map (db m18495) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Pioneering Murphy Family
Charting a course of their own to become founders of Santa Clara Valley In 1844, Martin Murphy Sr. brought his large, Irish family across the continent in the Stephens-Murphy-Townsend overland part. Their determination, optimism and close . . . — Map (db m18546) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Rancho San Ysidro / San Ysidro School
[This base is a two-sided monument commemorating both Rancho San Ysidro (side 1) and San Ysidro School (side 2)] RANCHO SAN YSIDRO In the early 1800's Rancho San Ysidro was granted to Ygnacio Ortega. After his death the lands were . . . — Map (db m18484) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Rucker School Historical Site 1894
The Catherine Dunn Ranch once part of the Rancho San Francisco de Las Llagas Spanish land grant was divided in 1893 and sold to early settlers to form Rucker Township. Education was especially important to these pioneers who had been through . . . — Map (db m18473) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — The Miller EstateTraces of history fade as the forest restores itself on Mt. Madonna
Henry Miller, “The Cattle King” With only $6 in his pocket, German immigrant Henry Miller (birth name Heinrich Alfred Kreiser) stepped off the boat in San Francisco in 1850 with one pervading ambition – to labor hard at a . . . — Map (db m54122) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Hollister — 1843 - Rancho de San Luis Gonzaga - 1931
This rancho was a grant from the Mexican goverment (sic) to Jose, Maria, Mejia and Juan Perez Pacheco made November 4, 1843 and signed by Manuel Micheltorena, Mexican governor of the Californias. The grant contained eleven square leagues . . . — Map (db m93201) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Hollister — Bell Station
A toll road was built over Pacheco Pass in 1857 by Andrew D. Firebaugh. Later in that same year he built a tavern near this site, which became a Butterfield transcontinental stage stop. In 1859 the Pacific and Atlantic Company built a telegraph line . . . — Map (db m54036) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Altos — 306 Main Street — "Shoup Hall"
This two-story building, the second permanent business building in town, was built at the direction of Paul Shoup, often referred to as the "Father of Los Altos." It was the foresight of Mr. Shoup and his associates that led to a concept of the town . . . — Map (db m100303) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Altos — 316 Main Street — "Eschenbruecher Hardware"
Built in 1908, this structure housed the first commercial business in the new town of Los Altos. William and Lillian Eschenbruecher operated their hardware store here for more than a year before electricity and water became general available to . . . — Map (db m100305) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Altos — 395/397 Main Street — "Copeland Building"
Built in 1911, this two-story structure, often referred to as the "Copland Building". was the forth building to appear along Main Street. At one time a side door existed on First Street near the rear of the building. Except for the removal of this . . . — Map (db m100302) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Altos — 398 and 388 Main Streetcirca 1910 — "The Bank" and "The Grocery"
This "double building" was built by Paul and Guy Shoup around 1910. It was the third building in downtown Los Altos and housed the offices of Altos Land Company, Los Altos Building and Loan Association, Los Altos Water Company, University Land . . . — Map (db m100307) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Altos — Historic Loyola Corners
In the early 1900's, Southern Pacific Railroad ran tracks down what is now Foothill Expressway connecting Los Altos with San Jose and San Francisco. A railway depot was built not far from here and called "Loyola Corners", after St. Ignatius Loyola, . . . — Map (db m100298) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Altos — Los Altos Elementary School
Site of first Los Altos Elementary School Est. 1908 Div. 54 C.R.T.A. — Map (db m100304) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Altos — Southern Pacific Railroad Station
The town of Los Altos as we know it owes its existence to the Southern Pacific Railroad. Needing a shortcut between Palo Alto and Los Gatos, the Southern Pacific Railroad acquired the downtown "triangle" in 1907 from Sarah Winchester, who refused to . . . — Map (db m100299) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Gatos — "The Cats"
In 1919, Charles Erskine Scott Wood and Sara Bard Field purchased a beautiful 34-acre site overlooking Los Gatos to establish a refuge for their creative pursuits. Here they commissioned Robert Treat Paine to create two large statures to mark the . . . — Map (db m92716) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Gatos — 458 — Forbes Flour Mill
This is all that remains of the four-story stone flour mill built in 1854 by James Alexander Forbes. The town that grew around this building was first called Forbes Mill, then Forbestown, and finally Los Gatos. — Map (db m3295) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Gatos — Lexington ReservoirJames J. Lenihan Dam
Watershed: Guadalupe River Capacity: 6.5 billion gallons Depth: 130 feet Length: 2.5 miles Built: 1952 Lexington Reservoir, named for the historic 1850's town which once stood on the valley's floor, is a significant . . . — Map (db m55147) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Gatos — Lexington Reservoir County Park
In 1952, Santa Cruz Mountain rainwater flowing from the surrounding creeks filled the new reservoir and slowly covered what was left of the once prosperous towns of Lexington, Alma and an old portion of Highway 17. Looking out today across the deep . . . — Map (db m54121) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Gatos — Mountain Charlie Road
In 1858 the Santa Cruz Turnpike Company awarded a contract in the amount of $6000 to Charles Henry “Mountain Charlie” McKiernan and Hiram Scott for the construction of a road. The road from the Scott house, located in what is now Scotts . . . — Map (db m54128) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Gatos — 443 — Patchen
“Mountain Charley” McKiernan, one of the earliest residents of the Santa Crux Mountains, settled near here in 1850. John Martin Schultheis and his wife homesteaded land about a mile from here in 1852. Their home still standing (1950). . . . — Map (db m53475) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Morgan Hill — [Morgan Hill] Centennial ProjectA History Trail — Dedicated November 10, 2006
[The Morgan Hill Centennial Project is a very unusual ‘marker’. It was created to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the incorporation of the City of Morgan Hill. One starts at the center of the marker and then proceeds along an expanding spiral . . . — Map (db m46097) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Morgan Hill — Anderson Lake County Park
Long before nearby Coyote Creek was dammed to form the reservoir in 1950, people were drawn to its cool shade and clear flowing water. In 2006 an ancient burial site was unearthed during construction of homes across the street from this park. First . . . — Map (db m54034) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Morgan Hill — Are We There Yet?
Imagine eight months on a long distance road trip with five children and a van. Now imagine doing it without modern convenience. No rest stops, no cars, no roads, no wheels of any kind. Juan Bautista de Anza led 30 families with over 240 . . . — Map (db m100369) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Morgan Hill — De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza and party crossed this area in March 1778, in route to select sites for the Presidio and the Mission of San Francisco. In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris Birkland Beezley, of . . . — Map (db m46135) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Morgan Hill — John Page House
Built in 1908 by John Page. Mrs Alberta Page operated it as a boarding house for working men. The “one dollar a day” rate” included three meals, one of which was a bag lunch. The always full boarding house was famous and very . . . — Map (db m68911) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Morgan Hill — Morgan Hill United Methodist Church
In 1893, seven pioneers who had just arrive in the new township of Morgan Hill built the Methodist Episcopal Church sanctuary on this land, which was donated by the Phillips Land Company. The church constructed with lumber hauled by wagon from San . . . — Map (db m46151) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Morgan Hill — 259 — Site of 21-Mile House
This famous tavern and stage stop was located 21 miles from San Jose on the road to Monterey. The 21-Mile House was built in 1852 by William Host beneath a spreading oak that later was called the Vasquez Tree. The house was sold to William Tennant . . . — Map (db m81724) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Morgan Hill — Site of Skeels Hotel1925 – 1995
On this site stood the Skeels Hotel, which was owned and operated by Harry and Cynthia Skeels as a hotel and restaurant from 1925 to 1948. The original building was altered in 1938 to accommodate the widening of Monterey Highway by 30 feet. . . . — Map (db m46150) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Morgan Hill — The GranaryOur History
Background What is a Granary? A granary is a storage facility for grains. Granaries have been built from ancient times, with the oldest granaries dating back to 9500BC! Originally, they were carved into the ground or rock, or made of . . . — Map (db m46725) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Morgan Hill — Votaw Building
Built in 1906 by Frank L. Merrill. The building is a revival of the Italian Renaissance style which spread over Europe in the 15th and 16th centuries. The building was the original Morgan Hill Bank. The building is known as the Votaw Building named . . . — Map (db m46160) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Morgan Hill — Waiting For The TrainBy Marlene Amerian — Unveiled as part of Centennial Celebrations April 29, 2007
This bronze sculpture depicts one of Morgan Hill’s early founding families, Hiram Morgan Hiss, his wife Diana and their daughter Diane. In 1898, when the first Southern Pacific station was built, many visitors would request the train stop at . . . — Map (db m46161) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Mountain View — Computer History Museum — IEEE Special Citation in Electrical Engineering and Computing
IEEE Special Citation In Electrical Engineering And Computing Computer History Museum, 1979 The Computer History Museum's mission is to preserve and present for posterity the artifacts and stories of the Information Age. The museum houses the . . . — Map (db m103090) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Mountain View — Jagel Slough
One mile north-west of this plaque lies Jagel Slough, named for the Jagel Family, who were hay and grain farmers in the area. It is believed Ozymandias P. Jagel, who settled here (1859), set up a still to carry on an illegal liquor business. He . . . — Map (db m116026)
California (Santa Clara County), Mountain View — Mariano Castro Adobe
Site of the original Mariano Castro Adobe, built in 1840 on Rancho Pastoría de las Borregas, a Mexican land grant. — Map (db m100129) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Mountain View — Rengstorff House
A Pioneer Family Henry Rengstorff grew up in Germany. Like so many others of his generation, Henry was lured to California by stories of the Gold Rush. He left home at the age of 21, sailed around Cape Horn and arrived in San Francisco in 1850 . . . — Map (db m69152) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Mountain View — Shakey: The World's First Mobile Intelligent Robot, 1972 — IEEE Milestone In Electrical Engineering And Computing
IEEE Milestone In Electrical Engineering And Computing Shakey: The World's First Mobile Intelligent Robot, 1972 Stanford Research Institute's Artificial Intelligence Center developed the world's first mobile intelligent robot, Shakey. It could . . . — Map (db m103088) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Mountain View — Shenandoah Plaza
Shenandoah Plaza In Memory of the Fourteen Officers and men USS Shenandoah Lost September 3, 1925 Lord, guard and guide the men who fly through the great spaces in the sky. Be with them always in the air, in darkening storms or . . . — Map (db m103035) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Mountain View — Site of Witness Tree
Wild Cherry Tree on property of Benjamin Bubb, used in government survey of 1865 and by early settlers to locate their land. — Map (db m100127) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Mountain View — The Mountain View Train DepotCity of Mountain View
In 1888, at the request of local residents, the Southern Pacific Railroad built a depot at Mountain View Station, at a cost of $4,000. The second floor was used as living quarters for the station agent. By 1892, ten passenger trains stopped daily . . . — Map (db m100128) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Mountain View — The Spirit of the TimesWild Marshes, Handy Scows & Mr. Henry Rengstorff
The Victorian Beauty The 16 room house that Henry Rengstorff built in 1867 is a fine example of the Bay Area’s late Victorian Italianate architecture. The facade of the house is symmetrical, with the central entrance defined by a pillared . . . — Map (db m69151) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 976 — Birthplace of “Silicon Valley”
This garage is the birthplace of the world’s first high-technology region, “Silicon Valley.” The idea for such a region originated with Dr. Frederick Terman, a Stanford university professor who encouraged his students to start up their . . . — Map (db m3402) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — El Palo Nuevo
On November 8, 1789, Don Gaspar De Portola and his expedition in search of Monterey Bay, camped beside San Francisquito Creek near a century-old redwood tree long a landmark for the Indians. The tree named El Palo Alto, became a symbol for the city . . . — Map (db m92466) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 836 — Electronics Research Laboratory
Original site of the laboratory and factory of Federal Telegraph Company, founded in 1909 by Cyril F. Elwell. Here, with two assistants, Dr. Lee de Forest, inventor of the three-element radio vacuum tube, devised in 1911-13 the first vacuum tube . . . — Map (db m2604) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 1000 — First Commercially Practicable Integrated Circuit
At this site in 1959, Dr. Robert Noyce of Fairchild Semiconductor Corporation invented the first integrated circuit that could be produced commercially. Based on “planar” technology, an earlier Fairchild breakthrough, Noyce’s invention . . . — Map (db m54014) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — From Sea Scouts to Environmental VolunteersDesde Exploradores de Mar al Voluntario Ambiental
In 1941, this unique building stood at the edge of a yacht harbor. It was constructed for the Sea Scouts, a part of the Boy Scouts of America. After 50 years of use, the Sea Scouts left the base in 1991. This was five years after Palo Alto residents . . . — Map (db m100130) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — SCL-003 — Herring Box School
Under a great live oak and near this spot stood the first school in the old town of Mayfield, now a part of Palo Alto. It was erected in 1855, pioneering what was to become the community's major interest, education. Two later schools successively . . . — Map (db m53650) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Herring Box School
Under a great live oak and near this spot stood the first school in the old town of Mayfield, now a part of Palo Alto. It was erected in 1855, pioneering what was to become the community's major interest, education. Two later schools successively . . . — Map (db m53658) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — History of Tower Well
This tower well symbolizes what is best about a forward thinking, progressive city government that chose local ownership of essential utility services. Due to the foresight of town leaders such as Stanford Engineering professors Charles "Daddy" Marx . . . — Map (db m91257) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 969 — Homesite of Sarah WallisMayfield Farm
Sarah Armstrong Wallis (1825–1905) was a pioneer in the campaign for women’s voting rights. In 1870 she was elected president of California’s first statewide suffrage organization which in 1873 incorporated as the California State Woman . . . — Map (db m2718) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 895 — Hostess House
This building originally served Camp Fremont as a meeting place for servicemen and visitors. When moved from its original site to Palo Alto, it became the first municipally sponsored community center in the nation. It is the only remaining structure . . . — Map (db m54017) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — J. Pearce Mitchell Park
J. Pearce Mitchell Park, built in 1957, was one of the first of a new type of community park based on active recreation for leisure living. The design for this park and its playground served as important examples for many other parks and playgrounds . . . — Map (db m92467) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 857 — John Adams Squire House
Designed by T. Paterson Ross and constructed by builder George W. Mosher in 1904, this house is a notable example of California's interpretation of the Greco-Roman Classic Revival movement in America. — Map (db m2715) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Juana Briones Park
Rancho La Purísima Conceptión was granted to a former Santa Clara Mission Indian, Jose Gorgonio, by Governor Alvarado on June 30, 1840. In 1844, Gorgonio and another Indian, José Ramon, sold the grant to Dona Juana Briones de Miranda, who lived with . . . — Map (db m90786) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Juana Briones. This is her park.
Juana Briones de Miranda lived not far from here at Rancho la Purísima Concepción. From her house on a knoll in the rolling foothills of Palo Alto, she could look down on the very land you’re standing on. Of course that would’ve been when she wasn’t . . . — Map (db m94503) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Mayfield Fire Bell
From 1907 to 1925 this bell was used to summon the volunteer firemen of the town of Mayfield. First used at College Avenue and El Camino Real. The bell was transferred to the town hall at El Camino Real and California Avenue in 1921. When Mayfield . . . — Map (db m91031) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Mayfield School
Mayfield's first school built in 1855 it was a two-room log cabin which was soon outgrown. Mayfield later built two new schools to serve the increasing population of young people and even offered some adult education in mathematics. In 1923, on the . . . — Map (db m90884) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Motion Picture Research Commemoration
In commemoration of the motion picture research conducted in 1878 and 1879 at the Palo Alto Farm now the site of Stanford University This extensive photographic experiment portraying the attitudes of men and animals in motion was . . . — Map (db m113015) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Play Ball!
Baseball was the country’s favorite sport in the 1890’s. Communities across America supported amateur baseball teams comprised of local young men. Mayfield’s baseball team, the Ringtailed Roarers, played other local teams up and down the Peninsula, . . . — Map (db m91111) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Semiconductor Planar Process and Integrated Circuit, 1959IEEE Milestone in Electrical Engineering and Computing
The 1959 invention of the Planar Process by Jean A. Hoerni and the Integrated Circuit (IC) based on planar technology by Robert N. Noyce catapulted the semiconductor industry into the silicon IC era. This pair of pioneering inventions lead to the . . . — Map (db m54015) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 524 — Site of Juana Briones de Miranda Home on Rancho La Purisima Concepcion
In 1844 Juana de Briones de Miranda, a pioneer Latina property owner, businesswoman and humanitarian, purchased the 4,439 acre Rancho La Purisima Concepcion from Indian grantee Jose Gorgornio. The grant extended two miles south, encompassing . . . — Map (db m54016) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — The Crossroads of Mayfield
Long before Stanford University and the City of Palo Alto existed, this area of the Mexican land grant, Rancho Rincon de San Francisquito Creek was a crossroads of travel and commerce. In the 1850's, it would take Juana Briones three days to travel . . . — Map (db m90886) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — The Hostess House War and Veterans Memorial
[Several veterans memorials are located at the base of the flagstaff in front of the Hostess House.] Side A: 1861 – 1865 McKinley Post Number 187 Dept. of Calif. And Nev. Grand Army of the Republic . . . — Map (db m54117) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Town and Gown
On October I, 1891, Stanford University opened its doors after six years of planning and building. The University was named after Jane and Leland Stanford's only child, Leland Stanford, Junior. Stanford University and Palo Alto have been . . . — Map (db m90887) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Uncle Jim’s Cabin
In 1853 James Otterson built a hotel near this corner. It was the first building in what would become Mayfield, later a part of Palo Alto. Travelers between San Francisco and San Jose stayed here, as did lumbermen coming from the hills to the bay. — Map (db m94490) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 505 — Almadén Vineyards
On this site in 1852 Charles LeFranc made the first commercial planting of fine European wine grapes in Santa Clara County and founded Almadén Vineyards. LeFranc imported cuttings from vines in the celebrated wine districts of his native France, . . . — Map (db m2580) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Alum Rock Log Cabin
The log cabin was built 1914-1916 as a memorial to the pioneers and was donated to the City of San Jose on September 24, 1916. The cabin is constructed of redwood logs from the Santa Cruz Mountains. This log cabin provides an example of the physical . . . — Map (db m63791) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Amamiyla Midwife House
Our family had ten siblings. Eight of us were born at this house between 1919 and 1933. - Jimi Yamaichi — Map (db m64943) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Asahi Baseball
They built a baseball diamond with the homeplate on the Jackson and Sixth Street corner and the outfield towards the railroad tracks. Rightfield was shorter and leftfield went on across Seventh Street. The centerfield was much lower than homeplate, . . . — Map (db m52513) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Bank of America Building
One of the San Jose's earliest skyscrapers, this building has served as a local landmark since its construction in 1925-6. The Bank of America, originally known as the Bank of Italy, was founded by San José native A.P. Giannini in 1904. Although the . . . — Map (db m30549) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 30 — Bickur Cholim
San Jose’s first Hebrew congregation – Bickur Cholim – was founded August 5, 1861. The congregation met in City Hall and at various locations in the downtown prior to building their first facility on this site in 1870. Used continuously . . . — Map (db m52655) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Birthplace of A.P. Giannini
Amadeo Peter Giannini, founder of the Bank of Italy – now the Bank of America – was born at 79 N. Market St. on May 6, 1870. Perhaps San Jose's most famous native, Giannini is considered by many to be the greatest figure in American . . . — Map (db m30166) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 35 — Buffington House
Lulu and Howard M. Buffington, Police and Fire Chief, City of Willow Glen. Representative of residences that once lined Lincoln Avenue. — Map (db m100100) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Bulmore House1854 — (Cottage No. 12)
Only complete four room, oven-dried brick house in New Almaden. Appointed Cashier, Hacienda Forman and Secretary of the Miners Fund by the Manager Mr. Randol, Robert R. Bulmore moved into this cottage in September, 1878. Mr. Bulmore’s avocation . . . — Map (db m41356) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Calero County Park – Bailey Fellows House
The nearby Bailey Fellows house is a historic “Italianate” structure located at the south end of Calero Reservoir and appears on the County of Santa Clara Heritage Resource Inventory. The house is named for Boargenes R. Bailey and Judge . . . — Map (db m53474) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Camp Mt. Madonna
[Side-bar on left:] At New Almaden During the Depression (1933-1942) and after most mining activity had ceased, New Almaden once again gave jobs, hope and future to young men through a program created by Franklin D. Roosevelt called . . . — Map (db m52778) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Captain Thomas Fallon1990 — Artist: Robert Glen
This statue of Captain Thomas Fallon was commissioned in 1988. It memorializes the raising of the U.S. flag in San Jose in 1846, when California was still a part of Mexico. Scheduled to be installed in 1990, the statue generated an intense . . . — Map (db m81726) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Carson House1854 — (Cottage No.13)
One of three complete adobe houses in New Almaden made of creek gravel and adobe mud. In 1855 a plan of the settlement of the Hacienda, including all homes south of Casa Grande (the manager;s home), to the reduction works of the New Almaden Mine, . . . — Map (db m41459) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Casa Grande
Built in 1854 of adobe, brick and wood. Residence of Mines Managers until 1925. Most gracious & stately California Mansion of early days. Scene of important social & political events. Planned by Henry W. Halleck & built by J. Young & F. Meyer. . . . — Map (db m15046) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — SCL-053 — Charles Henry McKiernan“Mountain Charlie” — 1825 – January 16, 1892
Most colorful of all characters in Santa Cruz Mountains. First white settler in Santa Cruz Mountain section, a pioneer hunter, rancher, teamster and road-builder. His motto was “Right Wrongs Nobody.” — Map (db m52207) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 2 — Chinatown
From 1872 to 1887, a large Chinese population occupied this block of Market Street. Despite considerable discrimination against them, the Chinese managed to survive within their insular community. By the late 1880's, as downtown businesses began . . . — Map (db m26214) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 11 — College of Notre Dame
The sisters of Notre Dame de Namur founded their college on this site in 1851. The facility began modestly but eventually expanded to occupy the entire north side of Santa Clara Street from Almaden Avenue to Santa Teresa Street. A boarding school . . . — Map (db m52660) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Cornish Pump
A significant problem in mining is groundwater removal. Water limited the depth of early miners until the Cornish pump was introduced in the 18th Century. Cornish pumps originated in the tin and copper mining region of Cornwall, England, and evolved . . . — Map (db m49855) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Coyote Post Office
Now a relic from the days when Monterey road served as cattle trail; stage route, and Mission road between San Francisco, Santa Clara, and Monterey, Coyote Post Office was once the oldest surviving and functioning post office in Santa Clara County . . . — Map (db m42293) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — D Retort and Condensing System
The D retort, line the rotary furnace, was used to recover mercury from cinnabar ore. Whereas the rotary furnace was a continuously-operating system, the D retort was loaded with ore, fired for a period of time (usually 8 to 24 hours), then allowed . . . — Map (db m49862) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Dashaway Stables
Hailed as one of the best arranged and equipped livery stables on the coast, Dashaway Stables was constructed by Frederick Tennant and William Connell in 1888 at 130 South Second Street, San Jose. Dashaway Stables, proud of its excellent reputation . . . — Map (db m52166) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Day Tunnel
[Side-bar on left:] Significant Addition to New Almaden’s Rich Mining Operation Toxic gases and underground water posed perils and problems for miners in search of valuable cinnabar ore. Under Sherman Day’s suggestion, the . . . — Map (db m52771) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776
Lt. Juan Bautista de Anza and party crossed this area in March 1776. en route to select sites for the Presido and the Mission of San Francisco In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris Birkland Beezley, of a rider . . . — Map (db m38342) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Dobashi Market
“... you come upon the boiled eel, the quail’s eggs, the dried seaweed, and the squid like root called gobo, as well as the crinkly cabbage Japanese call napa and Korean pickled radishes packed in Hawaii and small cans of shrimp paste imported . . . — Map (db m52508) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Dr. John Towsend
Born in Pennsylvania, died in San Jose Dec. 8, 1850 A leader of the Stephens-Townsend-Murphy Party of 1844 First American M.D. to settle in California Served as physician, alcalde, and councilman in San Francisco before moving to a farm north . . . — Map (db m52212) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Dr. Louis H. and Anna M. (Grandma) BascomEarly California Pioneers
The Bascoms arrived in San Jose in 1849. Their residence and boarding house, Slapjack Hall, was a center of activity and grandma sewed the famous blue tent used as both a school and first protestant church. Dr. Bascom practiced medicine but . . . — Map (db m92727) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Dr. Warburton’s OfficeHome to an Early Santa Clara Valley Physician
Doctor Henry Hulme Warburton was one of the first physicians in the Santa Clara Valley. Born in Staffordshire, England in 1819, he emigrated to the United States in 1844. Warburton was a surgeon aboard a whaling ship when it docked in San Francisco . . . — Map (db m52165) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Eagles Hall
Local Scottish Rite Masons built their hall on this site in 1909. Designed by George Page, it was a simple rectangular structure with a severe Greek Revival façade. When the Masons moved into the new Scottish Rite Temple in 1925, the vacated . . . — Map (db m30261) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — El Senador MineThe Most Productive of New Almaden’s “Outside Mines”
Cinnabar was first found in the Senador Mine area before 1863. Systematic development recovered more than 20,000 flasks (1,500,000 pounds) between 1909 and 1926. Under the direction of John Drew, development started by trenching the outcrops of . . . — Map (db m41456) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — El Senator Mine(El Senador Mine)
This mine was opened in 1863 and worked intermittently until March 1926. In 1915 a reduction plant, which included the first Herreschoff furnace and electric dust collector ever used in the recovery of quicksilver, was erected. The mine was worked . . . — Map (db m34165) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Electric Light Tower
When completed in 1881, the 237-foot electric light tower that once spanned the intersection of Market and Santa Clara Streets was the largest single source of electric light in the country. The brainchild of J.J. Owen, founder of the San Jose . . . — Map (db m31114) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Electrification
Following the Stock Market Crash of 1893, John Center took over the Alum Rock Railway for Richard Quincey. Shortly after he took over the line, John Center sold it for $1.00 to his nephew, Hugh Center. By 1896, Hugh Center had the line running . . . — Map (db m63778) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Empire Firehouse
The San Jose Fire Department, initially an intensely dedicated volunteer organization until the hiring of professionals in 1876, was established by a City ordinance in 1854. In that same year, a firehouse was erected on Lightston Street, functioning . . . — Map (db m52176) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — English Camp
[Side-bar on left:] Once a Bustling Community Within view stood English Cam’s Methodist Church, Company Store, Mine Office, School House, Centennial Hall, Helping Hand Hall and a multitude of family cabins. As quicksilver . . . — Map (db m52775) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — English Camp School
Serving Mine Hill Families for over 40 Years Just up this hillside rest the remains of the former English Camp School. Founded in 1864, the school educated the young of Mine Hill until 1907. Students in grades 1 through 8 spent 10 . . . — Map (db m52779) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 9 — Farmers Union Building
The Farmers Union Corporation, established in this building in 1874, was once indispensible to San Jose’s farming community. It served as an agricultural cooperative and bank and throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries was the chief . . . — Map (db m52658) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — First Church of Christ, Scientist
The First Church of Christ, Scientist, was designed by Willis Polk and built in 1905. The plan of the building is a Greek cross; four Ionic columns dominate the entry portico. Since the construction of a new church in 1946, the building has been . . . — Map (db m30226) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 945 — First Honeybees in California
Here, on the 1,939-acre Rancho Potrero de Santa Clara, Christopher A. Shelton in early March 1853 introduced the honeybee to California. In Aspinwall, Panama, Shelton purchased 12 beehives from a New Yorker and transported them by rail, . . . — Map (db m3627) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 417 — First Normal School
Founded as “Minns’ Evening Normal School” in 1857, the school became the State Normal School by act of the state legislature on May 2, 1862. In 1870 the state legislature chose Washington Square as a permanent location. Destroyed by fire . . . — Map (db m52641) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 433 — First Site of El Pueblo de San Jose de Guadalupe
Within a year after the opening of the first overland route from Mexico to Alta California, Governor Filipe de Neve authorized the establishment of the first civil settlement in the state on lands including and surrounding the present Civic Center. . . . — Map (db m52937) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 3 — First State Capital
The first California State Legislature met on this site in 1849. San Jose was designated State Capital at the Constitutional Convention in Monterey after intensive lobbying by local representatives. The town made every effort to accommodate the . . . — Map (db m52633) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 461 — First State Capitol Building
Directly opposite this tablet was located the first State Capitol Building in which California’s first legislature assembled in December 1849. San Jose was the seat of government from 1849 to 1851. — Map (db m3615) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 902 — First Unitarian Church
This building, designed by George W. Page in 1891, became the permanent home of a congregation that first met in City Hall in 1866. A version of Richardsonian Romanesque style, the innovative structure withstood the earthquake of 1906 and became a . . . — Map (db m30126) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Frontier VillageThe Entrance Forts / The One-Room Schoolhouse / Main Street / The Lost Dutchman Mine
From 1961 to 1980 the park that you are now standing in was home to a one-of-a-kind western themed amusement park called Frontier Village The Entrance Forts The main entrance was built to resemble the gates of an early western frontier . . . — Map (db m58990) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — George Donner, Jr.
[Front of Marker:] DONNER Here lies George Donner, Jr., a California Pioneer and a Donner Party survivor. He was born 10 August 1836 in Sangamon County, Illinois, the eldest son of Jacob Donner and Elizabeth Blue Hook. In April 1846 . . . — Map (db m30305) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Goodrich Quarry
On the hillside north of this plaque, only the scars remain to mark the spot where brown stone was quarried for San Jose Hall of Justice, Post Office, St. Mary’s Church, original buildings of Stanford University, and Carson City Mint. This small . . . — Map (db m52769) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Gordon House
Welcome to the Gordon House Home of the Rotary Club of San Jose Hanford Lennox Gordon was born in 1846 and over his lifetime held a variety of positions as attorney, and officer for the Union Army during the Civil War, a farmer, and . . . — Map (db m52126) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Gould Rotary Furnace and Condensing System
The rotary furnace was used to recover mercury from cinnabar ore. Finely crushed ore fro the fine ore bin entered the furnace by means of a feeder known as a shotgun or bump feeder. The feeder periodically injected a measured amount of ore into the . . . — Map (db m52818) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Gran Oriente Filipino Masonic Lodge
This is a picture of second generation Filipinos. Pacita Todtod who was also known as “Pacing” was famous for being a singer appearing at the beginning of the 1948 movie, “They Were Expendable,” starring John Wayne. Curt . . . — Map (db m52497) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 447 — Gubserville
Named after Frank Gubser, a German immigrant and barber, Gubserville was an important stage, mail and teamster stop on the road between San Jose and Saratoga. Gubser served as the village's first and only postmaster, beginning July 5, 1882. . . . — Map (db m2398) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Hacienda Cemetery
Dating back to early 1850’s, this cemetery was in use until 1920’s, when musician Ben Black, who wrote the then popular song, “Moonlight and Roses”, bought some of the mining company land at the Hacienda and divided it. Bertram Road . . . — Map (db m12925) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Hacienda Hotel
Here in 1848 was built the first two story adobe hotel in California. Originally a boarding house, the building was converted into a small hotel to accommodate visitors at the mining settlement. Destroyed by fire in 1874 and later rebuilt. . . . — Map (db m41325) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Hacienda Mining Display
Preserved here is equipment used in quicksilver mining. A few examples are from New Almaden, but most are from the Guadalupe Mine and were used in the last fifty years of mining, until the mines closed in the 1970s. The equipment is organized . . . — Map (db m49854) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Hamilton House
In 1882 Captain James A. Hamilton purchased 21 acres of orchards and built this Queen Anne farmhouse for his family. James A. Hamilton was born in 1826 in Portage City, Ohio, and he left home at the age of 18 to become a sailor. His first position . . . — Map (db m52123) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Hard Rock Miners
Drilling contests were the miners’ own distinctive event. The contest pitted individuals or teams of two miners against one another. They centered on hand-drilling, an essential aspect of the hard-rock miners’ work. Drilling contests tested the . . . — Map (db m41324) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 888 — Hayes Mansion
Jay Orley and Everis A. Hayes built this Mission Revival Style mansion, designed by George W. Page in 1904. The Hayes Brothers were early San Jose Mercury publishers, prominent valley politicians, and were actively involved in establishing the Santa . . . — Map (db m18496) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Hayes Mansion
Mary Hayes Chynoweth, matriarch of the Hayes family, built this 65 room, 41,000 square foot Mediterranean Revival-Style mansion to replace an earlier Victorian one which had been destroyed by fire. While she did not live to occupy the mansion . . . — Map (db m58945) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Henry Morris Naglee
Brigadier General United States Volunteers Lieutenant Colonel United States Army A Citizen of San Jose Born 1815 • Settled in California 1847 • Died 1886 This monument commemorates his service to the Country in the Mexican and Civil . . . — Map (db m30196) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Henry's Hi-Life
Henry’s Hi-Life, once known as the Torino Hotel, was opened in 1960 by Henry Puckett (1914-1986). Originally a boarding house for dozens of newly immigrated Italian workers, the building was first named the new Progress Hotel. Charles Sacco, a . . . — Map (db m52490) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Herrold Radio Broadcasting Station
Charles Herrold, a pioneer in radio, was the first person to transmit radio programs of music and news to a listening audience. Beginning in 1909, three years before Congress’ Radio Act of 1912, Herrold broadcast from his College of Engineering and . . . — Map (db m30335) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Historic Alum Rock Park
Founded in 1872 and known as the reservation, Alum Rock Park is the oldest municipal park in California. It was named for a large rock formation believed to contain alum. Even after it was discovered to have been incorrectly identified, the name . . . — Map (db m92718) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Hoeing Table and Cleaning Tank
Hoeing tables and cleaning tanks were used to purify mercury as the final step in the process of converting cinnabar to mercury. Mercury collected in the condensers of a furnace or retort was contaminated with soot, water, dust, sublimed sulphur . . . — Map (db m49857) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Hori Midwife House
My grandmother kept her patients in the house for five days. My mother cooked the meals and grandmother would serve them. My mother was a very good cook. My dad taught her how; he’d learned to cook while working as a houseboy to put himself through . . . — Map (db m52214) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Hotel De Anza
Completed in 1931, as a civic improvement project during the Great Depression, the Hotel De Anza was named in honor of the Spanish explorer Juan Bautista de Anza. Business and civic leaders established the San Jose Community Hotel Association which . . . — Map (db m52659) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Huttner House(Cottage No. 3)
Home of H. J. Huttner, a mechanical engineer, who in 1874 worked with brick layer Robert Scott to design and build the first highly efficient ore extracting furnace. This house of modest wood and brick construction was typical of others along . . . — Map (db m41327) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Ideal Laundry
Ideal Laundry designed and built especially for laundry work and housed in a handsome, two-story fireproof brick building, erected as a cost of $30,000. This new enterprise was founded by I. Tsurukawa, one of the leading men in the local Japanese . . . — Map (db m52549) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Incline Tramway
In 1864 Sherman Day and C.E. Hawley built a rail line to carry ore from the mines on Mine Hill to the lower town furnaces. Transportation of ore to the furnaces was slow and expensive by horse and wagon, and production and demand had increased . . . — Map (db m65004) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — International Business Machines : RAMAC
[ Main Marker: ] International Business Machines : RAMAC In 1952, IBM sent Reynold Johnson to San José to open its first West Coast development laboratory to research new data storage methods. At this site in 1955, IBM unveiled . . . — Map (db m30095) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Jackson Drugs
I have been at this corner most of my life being born in the midwife house across the street. Nothing has changed in the neighborhood, except the people. I’ve seen Tokunaga go, Hashimoto’s Drug store across the street become a golf shop, Tom and . . . — Map (db m52498) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Japanese Kuwabara Hospital
The Nishiura Brothers built this Colonial Revival structure in 1910. Named after its first resident physician from Japan, Dr. Taisuka Kuwabara, the Kumamoto Kenjin-kai (a prefectural association) established the hospital to serve the Japanese . . . — Map (db m52554) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Japantown Theater
San Jose Japantown was the center of many amusements. We had theater that performed Kabuki and modern shows, like “love stories.” When I was young, people gathered here with their horse and wagon – just tied their horse up to the . . . — Map (db m65003) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Japantowns
From the late 1800s, Japantowns began to emerge in California’s port towns and agricultural areas where Japanese immigrants helped build the state’s economy through fishing, farming and other businesses. By the 1930s, as many as forty Japan towns . . . — Map (db m52558) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Jean Jacques Vioget1799 - 1855
Surveyor of Yerba Buena - 1839 — Map (db m92719) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — John Young House(Cottage No. 2)
This restored house is one of the original homes in the town of New Almaden, which was originally called Hacienda. The house was built in 1847 by Barron, Forbes Mining Co. and owned by the mining company until its bankruptcy in 1912. The cottage . . . — Map (db m41323) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Juzgado
On this site stood the Juzgado, or town hall, of the Pueblo de San José. Constructed of adobe in 1798, it housed the jail, the court and the offices of the comisionado and alcalde, and was the pueblo's primary governmental building. When Captain . . . — Map (db m31152) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Kawakami Building
When folks came back from the internment camps many of them were helped a lot by a local businessman, Torahiko Kawakami. He worked through the Buddhist Church hostel to resettle people and to get them back on their feet. He became known as . . . — Map (db m52550) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — SCL-056 — Keesling’s Shade Trees
The Northern California Black Walnut trees seen along this highway owe their existence to horticulturist Horace G. Keesling of San José. While passing this way by camp wagon on a blistering summer day in 1900, Keesling could find no roadside tree . . . — Map (db m52138) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Ken Ying Low
Ken Ying Low was renowned for its homemade noodles, and visitors from Sacramento and San Francisco would always stop at the restaurant for “the best chow mein.” There were several generation of excellent cooks, and one remembered was Ng . . . — Map (db m52548) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Knox-Goodrich Building
This charming commercial structure was built in 1889 by Sarah Knox-Goodrich on property left to her by her first husband, Dr. William Knox, using sandstone from the quarry owned by her second husband, Levi Goodrich. Both men were important San José . . . — Map (db m30960) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Labor Temple
The San José Labor Temple, located at 72 North Second Street, was a hub of the city’s turn of the century labor movement. It was established informally between 1901 and 1903 by Harry Ryan, an early San José labor leader, and Jack London, the famous . . . — Map (db m30444) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 29 — Letitia Building
This commercial building was named for Letitia Burnet Ryland, daughter of the first American civil governor of California, Peter Hardeman Burnett, and wife of San Jose councilman C.T. Ryland. Some have speculated that Peter Burnett’s election was . . . — Map (db m52636) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 866 — Luis María Peralta Adobe
The last vestige of El Pueblo de San Jose de Guadalupe, the simple adobe, rehabilitated in the mid-19th century, is believed built before 1800 by Manuel Gonzalez, an Apache, who was one of the pobladores (founders). Later owned and occupied by Sgt. . . . — Map (db m3775) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Main Post Office
This beautiful building was designed by Ralph Wyckoff to house San José’s Main Post Office. It was built as a W.P.A. project in 1933 and is a prime example of Depression-Era federal construction. The terra cotta work on the building’s exterior is . . . — Map (db m30091) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Mancha “Little Trammer” Battery Locomotive
The Mancha “Little Trammer” is one of the smallest mining locomotives manufactured by the Mancha Storage Battery Locomotive Company. It is powered by batteries, allowing it to be used deep within the mines without emitting toxic fumes. . . . — Map (db m52823) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Margaret Caldwell Fox
Born: Mission Santa Clara, February 12, 1847 Died: Saratoga, April 1, 1865 First child born to Anglo-American overland emigrants in Santa Clara County. — Map (db m52209) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Mercury Storage Vault
After cleaned mercury is collected, it was placed in iron flasks for transportation to market. A flask of mercury weighs about 76 pounds when filled and a flask needs to be strong because of the density of the liquid metal. Filled containers of . . . — Map (db m49858) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Mine Air Compressors
These two air compressors are typical of those used in hard-rock mining. The Gardner-Denver air compressor, powered by a gasoline engine, is a mobile type that was moved to wherever it was needed. The Ingersoll-Rand air compressor, powered by an . . . — Map (db m52821) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Mine Hill
[Side-bar on left] Rotary Furnace Brings New Almaden into the 20th Century In 1939, engineer H.W. Gould designed and built the first rotary furnace. The onset of World War II created a new interest in mercury because of its use in munitions. . . . — Map (db m50748) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Mine Ventilation Fans
Ventilation fans provided fresh air for miners deep within the mines. Ventilation pipe connected to fans carried air wherever it was needed in the mine to provide miners with breathable air by diluting and displacing dust and noxious gases. Fans . . . — Map (db m52822) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Mineral Springs Grotto
The mineral springs located in this area have played an important role in the history and development of the park. Between 1891 and 1902, the Parks Commission began developing the park, highlighting the springs. During this period, over 20 different . . . — Map (db m63781) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Mining Operations
Victoria Shaft (photo right) Named after Queen Victoria, the Victoria Shaft was sunk near the powderhouse in 1890 to prospect the existing Randol workings of the New Almaden Mine.

Powderhouse (photo far right) The powderhouse was built in . . . — Map (db m50744) HM

California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 813 — Montgomery Hill
Three-quarters of a mile northeast is Montgomery Hill, site of the 55 successful flights of the “aeroplane” of John Joseph Montgomery which demonstrated aerodynamic developments still indispensable to modern aircraft. Here the basic . . . — Map (db m7127) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Montgomery MazeBorn in New York City 1836 -- Died June 19, 1875 — Aged 39 yrs
Verified Rider of the Pony Express 1860-1861 — Map (db m92735) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 489 — Moreland School
Oldest known rural school district in California. Established 1851 as subscription school, meeting in private homes. First teacher, Charles Lafollette, 1851, term three months. Abraham H. Featherman, 1852, term six months. Through efforts of Samuel . . . — Map (db m2622) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Mr. Peckham
Because of the Alien Land Laws in California, Mr. Peckham held land in his name for those of Japanese, Chinese, Filipino and other Asian ancestries ... until the oldest native born child in the family turned 21. He would then transfer the land to . . . — Map (db m65005) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — New Almaden(The New Mine) — After Almaden Mine in Spain
The first workable quicksilver mine in North America – First mine of any kind in California – First worked 1824 – Denounced November 1845. Has produced more metallic wealth than any individual gold mine in California. Its discovery . . . — Map (db m12924) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 339 — New Almaden Quicksilver Mine
12 miles ← [west]. From this cinnabar hill the Indians used pigment for paint. Mercury was mined, 1845. Gold discovery made mercury indispensable and the mine became the most productive in America, became world famous. It sold for . . . — Map (db m2640) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — New Almaden Quicksilver Mine
New Almaden Quicksilver Mine has been designated an historical landmark by American Society of Metals Discovered in November 1845, it was the first workable quicksilver mine in North America and preceded the Coloma Gold Discovery of January . . . — Map (db m15055) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — New Almaden Quicksilver Mine
For generations the Ohlone Indians followed the path along the Alamitos Creek to find cinnabar in a cave in the nearby hills. They traded the mineral, used it in religious ceremonies and decorated their bodies. Elsewhere in the world, quicksilver, . . . — Map (db m41479) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — New Almaden’s Civil War Crisis
In March 1863 the Supreme Court adjudged that the original Castillero claim to the New Almaden Mine was fraudulent and invalid. President Abraham Lincoln, acting on this judgment, sent a writ to U.S. Marshall C.W. Rand in San Francisco. “I, . . . — Map (db m12916) HM

362 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 162
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.