The site on which Kendleton now stands was originally a Mexican land grant to settler Elizabeth Powell, whose house was an early-day stage stop.
During the Texas Revolution, in 1836, Santa Anna's Mexican Army camped near here. Later the . . . — — Map (db m4419) HM
On Braxton Street just east of Lum Road (Farm to Market Road 2919), on the right when traveling west.
Kendleton was originally a large plantation area of land in the western section of Fort Bend County. During the Reconstruction Era, free Negroes from Colorado and Washington Counties developed a colony of 100-acre plots. Having relocated several . . . — — Map (db m14126) HM
On State Highway 2919 near Powell Point School Road, on the left when traveling west.
William E. Kendall, an Anglo lawyer from Richmond, Texas, subdivided his plantation here into 100-acre farm tracts in 1869. He sold the land exclusively to Freedmen and by the 1880s a distinctly African American community named Kendleton had . . . — — Map (db m4971) HM
On Houston Street at South 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on Houston Street.
Area was settled in 1822 by members of Stephen F. Austin's colony, who first called their community "Fort Settlement." Earliest known burial was made by Wm. Morton, who donated land for Morton Cemetery. Town was formally laid out 1837 by land . . . — — Map (db m126518) HM
On Jackson Street (Alternate U.S. 90) at South 4th Street, on the right when traveling east on Jackson Street.
Came to Texas from Georgia, 1838. Clerk, Republic of Texas State Department. Prominent Fort Bend County planter, lawyer, district judge and legislator.
Served as one of the speakers of Texas House of Representatives in critical Civil War years, . . . — — Map (db m126513) HM
On State Highway 90A at State Highway FM 359, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 90A.
The 95,000 men of military age in Civil War Texas, unaccustomed to walking, preferred the daring and mobility of the cavalry used to scout the enemy, screen troop movements and make lightning attacks. 58,533 Texans joined it, riding their own horses . . . — — Map (db m27748) HM
On Morton Street at South 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on Morton Street.
This square was deeded in 1838 to Fort Bend County by Robert E. Handy and William Lusk, founders of Richmond. It was site of 1850-1871 and 1888-1909 courthouses.
Completed here 1888 was a two-story brick Victorian courthouse with bell tower and . . . — — Map (db m126515) HM
On Houston Street at South 6th Street, on the right when traveling west on Houston Street.
Most famous scout in Texas War for Independence. Obeyed Gen. Sam Houston's strategic order, then raised San Jacinto Battle Cry: "Fight for your lives! Vince's Bridge has been cut down."
A native of New York, Smith settled in 1821 in San . . . — — Map (db m126519) HM
On Jackson Street (Alternate U.S. 90) at South 5th Street, on the right when traveling east on Jackson Street.
This classical revival building is the fifth courthouse for Fort Bend County, which was organized in 1837. The structure was designed by C. H. Page of Austin and dedicated in 1909. The contractor was the Texas Building Company, also of Austin. . . . — — Map (db m122796) HM
On Preston Street at North 6th Street, on the right when traveling west on Preston Street.
Completed in 1897, this structure was the third jail building in Fort Bend County. Built to communicate strength and justice to the area's lawless elements, the imposing Romanesque revival style structure features terra cotta decoration and massive . . . — — Map (db m129330) HM
On an unnamed cemetery road, on the right when traveling south.
Henry Schumacher (1832-1901), a native of Germany, opened one of the first cottonseed oil mills in this region in 1873, assembling the machinery with only the aid of an old encyclopedia. The oil works produced cottonseed oil, meal, and cake, and . . . — — Map (db m126532) HM
On South 4th Street north of Morton Street, on the right when traveling north.
Born in Maryland in 1798, Jane H. Wilkinson moved to Mississippi (1811) and became the ward of her famous relative, Gen. James Wilkinson, field commander of the United States Army. Jane married Dr. James Long in 1815 and later followed him on a . . . — — Map (db m126517) HM
On North 6th Street at Preston Street, on the right when traveling north on North 6th Street.
Phillip Vogel, a German merchant, built this residence in the 1850s. It reflects the simple Greek revival style popular at the time. A. D. McNabb, owner of a saddlery shop, bought the property in 1887. He married Charlien Gloyd, daughter of . . . — — Map (db m129331) HM
On Jackson Street (Alternate U.S. 90) east of South 5th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar • The Father of Education in Texas • Born in Georgia August 16, 1798 • Founded the Columbus Enquirer • Came to Texas in 1836 • He commanded the cavalry at the Battle of San Jacinto • Served successively as Secretary of War, . . . — — Map (db m126864) HM
Near Commerce Street, on the right when traveling west.
Burial place of illustrious pioneers, including 1838-1841 Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar (1798-1859) and one of State's first women settlers, Jane Long (1798-1880), known as "The Mother of Texas."
On Labor No. 1 of Mexican land . . . — — Map (db m126485) HM
On Morton Street, on the right when traveling east.
Organized in 1850, the Morton Masonic Lodge was chartered on January 24, 1851. Named for "Old 300" colonist and Mason William Morton, the Lodge began with twenty charter members. The first lodge hall, located on Jackson Street, was replaced in 1855 . . . — — Map (db m126524) HM
On Jackson Street (Alternate U.S. 90) at South 4th Street, on the right when traveling west on Jackson Street.
While Methodist missionaries had served the Richmond area as early as 1824, this congregation was organized January 22, 1839, by the Rev. Jesse Hord. Early members included some of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colonists. The congregation built this . . . — — Map (db m122795) HM
On Jackson Street (Alternate U.S. 90) at South 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on Jackson Street.
A native of Scotland, Isaac McFarlane (1840-1900) served with Terry's Texas Rangers during the Civil War and later became a successful merchant in Richmond. This home was constructed for his family in the early 1880s by local builder Thomas Culshaw. . . . — — Map (db m122759) HM
On an unnamed cemetery road, on the right when traveling north.
Born in Virginia 1808, reared in Georgia. Fought in Texas War for Independence, 1836, under James W. Fannin at Refugio Mission. Captured at Goliad, was spared to repair guns for Mexican Army. Escaped during Battle of San Jacinto.
Settled in . . . — — Map (db m126526) HM
On an unnamed cemetery road, on the right when traveling north.
Born a slave in North Carolina, Walter Moses Burton was brought to Texas about 1860. At the end of the Civil War, he purchased land from his former owner, Thomas B. Burton, from whom he had also learned to read and write. Walter Burton became a . . . — — Map (db m126527) HM
On 1st Street (State Highway 36) at Avenue I (County Route 1640), on the right when traveling north on 1st Street.
In 1896, three Baptist men organized this church. T.E. Muse served as the first pastor from 1898 to 1900. The 1900 Galveston hurricane destroyed an unfinished church building. Services were held in a nearby church and in a rail car until a . . . — — Map (db m92422) HM
On Mustang Avenue at Herndon Drive, on the right when traveling east on Mustang Avenue.
Born 1798 in Georgia. Came to Texas 1835. Became involved immediately in movement for independence from Mexico. Upon fall of the Alamo and news of Goliad Massacre, joined Texas Army as a private, as Houston moved eastward toward San Jacinto.
In . . . — — Map (db m126520) HM
On Alternate U.S. 90A, on the left when traveling east.
Planned 1840 to benefit the Republic of Texas by moving rich sugar and cotton crops from plantation areas. Chartered 1841 by 5th Congress of the Republic, in name of Harrisburg Railroad & Trading Company.
H. R. & T. C. did not succeed in . . . — — Map (db m73448) HM
On Dulles Avenue at Viking Lane, on the right when traveling south on Dulles Avenue.
One of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300," William J. Stafford (1764-1840), founded the settlement of Stafford's Point on the 6819.7-acre land grant he received in the winter of 1824. Bringing his family and slaves from his Louisiana sugar plantation, he . . . — — Map (db m27781) HM
On Old Richmond Road at Pheasant Creek Drive, on the right when traveling north on Old Richmond Road.
A veteran of "Swamp Fox" Francis Marion's South Carolina brigade during the American Revolution,
Alexander Hodge (b. 1760) brought his family to Texas in 1825. Hodge was prominent among
the "Old Three Hundred" settlers; his sons fought in the . . . — — Map (db m27747) HM
On Sugar Land Street 0 miles west of Brooks Street, on the right when traveling west.
The center of the sugar industry from Texas colonial days and the site of the first sugar refinery in Texas located by S. M. Williams on land granted to him by the Mexican government. — — Map (db m27764) HM
On U.S. 90A at Midway Drive, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 90A.
Central State Farm's roots trace to the late 1870s, when the original 5235 acres of the sugar plantation here were worked by convict labor. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, public sentiment largely supported a self-sustaining prison system, . . . — — Map (db m28499) HM