Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites Historical Markers

The American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites Registry was established by the Presbyterian Historical Society in 1973. The registry closed in 2002. To be listed in the registry, congregations submitted formal applications, which were first approved by the presbytery or classis within whose bounds the site lay, and then approved by the Society’s Historical Sites Committee. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number.
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tim Carr, June 27, 2009
First Presbyterian Church Marker
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — 168 — First Presbyterian ChurchHuntsville, Alabama — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Organized June 15, 1818 by the Rev. Gideon Blackburn, D.D. One of the state’s oldest Presbyterian churches. This site was selected for the first church building, dedicated on Oct. 13, 1822. The second and present, sanctuary was dedicated on May . . . — Map (db m121846) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 391 — First Presbyterian Church Memorial ChapelBuilt 1874 — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
The First Presbyterian Church was the City's first Protestant church and an early significant religious institution of the City. Commemorated by City of Livermore Historic Preservation Commission May 2007 — Map (db m121756) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 373 — Westminster Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m121391) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 83, 410 — St. John’s Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Registered Landmark Number 83 City and County of San Francisco — Map (db m121755) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — 279 — First Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Organized in 1858, this congregation worships in Fernandina's oldest church building, and one of the oldest in Florida. This colonial structure rests on land donated by David L. Yulee, Florida's first Senator, and a former member of the . . . — Map (db m121847) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Dunedin — F-978, 345 — Historic Andrews Memorial ChapelAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Early Dunedin homesteader B. M. Brown and the Emerson family donated land for the construction of a church in 1876. Before it was built, John G. Andrews lost his brother William, who was killed while riding a horse during a violent storm. Andrews . . . — Map (db m121848) HM
Idaho (Nez Perce County), Lapwai — 241 — Spalding’s Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Inspired by Henry and Eliza Spalding’s missionary zeal, this church held its first service in 1876. A number of Nez Perce embraced Spalding’s religion. Soon there were Nez Perce ministers, hymns in the Nez Perce language, and Indian blankets and . . . — Map (db m121763) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — 8 — Second Presbyterian ChurchJames Renwick, Architect, 1874 — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Rebuilt in 1900 by Howard Van Doren Shaw When this neo-Gothic church was designed by a prominent New York architect, the surrounding streets, including Prairie Avenue one block east, were lined with the homes of wealthy Chicagoans. The fine . . . — Map (db m121834) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Sioux City — 402 — Prospect HillAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected by Iowa Presbyterians In Memory of Rev. Sheldon Jackson Rev. T.H. Cleland Rev. J.C. Elliott Pioneer Missionaries who on April 29, 1869 from this hill top viewed the great unchurched areas and after prayer went out to win . . . — Map (db m121813) HM
Kansas (Doniphan County), Highland — 374 — Irvin HallAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
This structure has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey of the United States Department of the Interior for its archives at the Library of Congress — Map (db m121780) HM
Kansas (Doniphan County), Highland — 17 — The Iowa, Sac and Fox MissionAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
The Iowa, Sac and Fox Mission was one of many Indian missions built in what is now Kansas between 1820 and 1862. Established in 1837 by Reverend Samuel and Eliza Irvin and Reverend William and Julia Hamilton, the mission was sponsored by the . . . — Map (db m121796) HM
Kansas (Labette County), Parsons — 258 — First Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. 258 — Map (db m121382) HM
Kansas (Rice County), Sterling — 250 — Cooper HallBuilt in 1887 — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior ———————— American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. . . . — Map (db m121804) HM

Kentucky (Boyle County), Danville — 754, 130 — Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
One of three founded, 1784, by Reverend David Rice; earliest of this denomination west of Alleghenies. Here worshipped: James G. Birney, whose presidential candidacy in 1844 caused defeat of Henry Clay; John C. Breckinridge, whose 1860 candidacy . . . — Map (db m121839) HM
Kentucky (Green County), Greensburg — 844, 4 — Home of Early MinisterAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Home of Rev. David Rice, founder of first Presbyterian churches west of Alleghanies, 1784. Born in Va., 1733; moved to Danville, Ky. in 1788 after having founded “Rice’s School,” or Transylvania Seminary near there, 1785. Member, State . . . — Map (db m121837) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — 313 — First Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Organized 1817. The first pastor (1818-1820), the Rev. Sylvester Larned, built a church in 1819 in the plain Gothic Style on St. Charles Street near Gravier Street, William Brand, Architect-Builder. A Greek Revival style church was erected . . . — Map (db m121832) HM
Mississippi (Oktibbeha County), Starkville — 426 — First Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
On May 6, 1821, seven local citizens, including Rev. Cyrus Kingsbury, established the Mayhew Church in the area known as Mayhew Mission. This congregation was received into the Tombeckbee Presbytery in 1829 and moved to Starkville in 1834. The first . . . — Map (db m121845) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Rich Hill — 33 — Harmony MissionAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site No. 33
[Front] Historic Harmony Mission, a school for the Indians of Missouri, once stood east of Rich Hill, on the north bank of the Osage River, near the centuries-old camping sites of the Great and Little Osage tribes. The mission was founded . . . — Map (db m121349) HM
Missouri (Jackson County), Independence — 19 — First Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
The congregation dates from 1826. The church neither divided nor closed in the Civil War. Designed in 1888 by Nier, Hogg and Byram of Kansas City, Mo. Harry S. Truman first met Bess Wallace here in Sunday School in 1892. — Map (db m121823) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — 432 — Edward & Stephen Hempstead GravesAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Son of Stephen & Mary Hempstead Born at New London, Conn. June 3, 1780 Died at St. Louis Aug. 10, 1817. ————— First delegate to Congress from the Territory of Missouri 1812 . . . — Map (db m121828) HM
Nevada (Storey County), Virginia City — 301 — First Presbyterian ChurchDedicated Jan. 1, 1867
This Carpenter Gothic Church was built at a cost of $12,000. It is listed as No. 301 of the American Presbyterian & Reformed Historic Sites. — Map (db m121758) HM
Ohio (Clark County), New Carlisle — 183 — Honey Creek Presbyterian Historical MarkerRegistered Site #183 — Current Location of Historical Congregation
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site #183 registered by the Presbyterian Historical Society Philadelphia, Pa. — Map (db m121348) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Germantown — 386 — Fortunate SurvivorGermantown Presbyterian Church — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
This is the only Germantown church to survive the war, while the town suffered because of its strategic location on the Memphis & Charlestown Railroad. Many male members of the congregation joined the 4th Tennessee Infantry (CSA), while others . . . — Map (db m121840) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — 3B 41, 176 — First Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
The oldest church building in Gallatin in continuous existence, this church was organized October 25, 1828. The building was erected in 1836-37 and is an example of early Greek Revival architecture. The sanctuary was used as a hospital for Federal . . . — Map (db m121843) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 12743, 436 — Austin Presbyterian Theological SeminaryAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
This seminary had its origins in the Austin School of Theology, begun in 1884 by the Rev. Dr. Richmond Kelley Smoot and the Rev. Dr. Robert Lewis Dabney to provide training for candidates for the Presbyterian ministry whom the founders hoped would . . . — Map (db m121806) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — S-31, 323 — First Presbyterian Church Salt Lake CityAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Construction of this English Gothic Revival Style Church began in June 1903 and was completed May 1906. Architect was W. E. Ware. Built of local red sandstone. — Map (db m121760) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — 252 — The Reverend George Whitworth GraveAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
—First Presbyterian missionary to serve western Washington, 1854. Started 15 churches including the first Presbyterian church of Seattle. —President of University of Washington, 1865-66 & 1874-76. —Founded Sumner Academy, . . . — Map (db m121329) HM
Wisconsin (Marquette County), Endeavor — 102 — The Wee White KirkAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
The congregation of the United Presbyterian Church of North America was organized in 1851 in the town of Buffalo by a group of early Scotch settlers. At first meetings were held in homes and later, in the section schoolhouse. In the year of . . . — Map (db m121833) HM

28 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.