Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Memphis, Tennessee Historical Markers

 
128 Court Street Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, April 20, 2014
128 Court Street Marker
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 128 Court Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m74802) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 1862 Post Office
On June 6, 1862 Memphis surrendered to Federal gunboats. The only resistance by citizens occurred here as a shot was fired at the soldiers hoisting the U.S. flag over the post office. — Map (db m84464) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 92 — Annesdale Park Subdivision
Developed as an exclusive neighborhood in 1903 by Brinkley Snowden and T. O. Vinton, Annesdale Park was the first subdivision in the South planned upon metropolitan lines. It was considered an important display of confidence in the city's future. . . . — Map (db m83793) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Beale Street #1
392 Beale Avenue "There were two types of culture, I guess you could say, on Beale Street. There were the sinners and there were the saved. You had your professional people, your doctors and business folk. Then you had those who . . . — Map (db m107601) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Beale Street #2
First there was a slope of woodland that met the Mississippi River. Chickasaw Indians hunted there until the early 19th century. Then there was Beale Street. It began as the main road of South Memphis and by 1850, when that separate town was . . . — Map (db m108221) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Beale Street #3
During the great wave of immigration around the turn of the century, Jews, Italians, Greeks and Chinese came to Beale Street to pursue their fortunes. They established pawnshops, clothing stores, restaurants, produce stands, . . . — Map (db m107598) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Beale Street #4
"Saturday night was the fabulous night on Beale street. Our parents kept the store opened late. We were children; we used to sit on little chairs outside the store and watch. If we got sleepy, they would put us to sleep on a rack of . . . — Map (db m107596) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Beale Street Historic District
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark. Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States. U.S. . . . — Map (db m47904) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 100 — Benjamin Albert Imes
Described as the best-educated minister in all of Memphis in 1880 was a black man, the Rev. Benjamin A. Imes, who was a noted city leader. Imes held two degrees from Oberlin College and was involved with an influential group that pushed for the . . . — Map (db m84445) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 126 — Benjamin Franklin Booth — 1858–1941
Benjamin F. Booth was one of Memphis' earliest and most distinguished African-American lawyers. Starting in 1886, he practiced law for more than 54 years. In 1905, he challenged Tennessee's law authorizing the segregation of black and white . . . — Map (db m139) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Bettis Family Cemetery
Here was the farm of the Tillman Bettis family on the Memphis bluff after the 1818 treaty, even before the town was laid off. Mary Bettis was the first child born in the new settlement. — Map (db m83844) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Birthplace of Aretha Franklin
Aretha Franklin was born in this house on March 25, 1942, to Baptist Bishop C.L. and Barbara Franklin. Ms. Franklin is an American singer, songwriter and musician. She began her career as a child singing gospel at her father's church, New Salem . . . — Map (db m106487) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 142 — Bishop Charles Harrison Mason — 1862~1961
Bishop C.H. Mason founded the Church of God in Christ (COGIC) in the late 1890s. Born a slave near Bartlett, Tennessee, Mason served as Senior Bishop of the denomination from 1907 until his death in 1961. By the time of his death, COGIC had become . . . — Map (db m89000) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 111 — Booker T. Washington High School
From a two-room, two-teacher structure known as Clay Street School, Booker T. Washington High School evolved as the first public high school for black students in Memphis. About 1911, the school was relocated to an abandoned building on Webster . . . — Map (db m89014) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Calvary Cemetery
Consecrated in 1867 to serve the booming populations of the Catholic Irish, Germans and Italians, Calvary became the second Catholic Cemetery in Shelby County. Msgr. Martin Riordan, V.G., of St. Patrick Parish, was a leading proponent and advocate . . . — Map (db m19032) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Calvary Protestant Episcopal Church
The oldest public building in Memphis and the first Episcopal Church in Shelby County. Organized August 6, 1832 by the Reverend Thomas Wright. The church house started 1838 was consecrated May 12, 1844 by the Right Reverend James Hervey Otey, first . . . — Map (db m32515) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Capt. J. Harvey Mathes — 37th. Tenn. C.S.A.
Capt. J. Harvey Mathes 37th. Tenn. C.S.A. — Map (db m51442) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Captain Kit Dalton — 1843 - 1920
He fought for the Confederacy and with Quantrell's Raiders. After the war he rode with Jesse and Frank James and Cole Younger. Over 100 years ago a $50,000 reward was offered for him dead or alive. Since they could not capture him, he was later . . . — Map (db m84572) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 33 — Casey Jones
From a station located on this site the night of Apr. 29. 1900, John Luther Jones, replacing the regularly detailed engineer, took out engine 382, pulling the Illinois Central “Cannonball.” Driving into a blocked switch at Vaughn, Miss., . . . — Map (db m6862) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Central Gardens Historic District
Side A By 1900, Memphis's growth had pushed the city limits east of the district's 511 acres, originally settled in 1830 by Solomon Rozelle. With its convenient access to downtown via the new trolley lines, Central Gardens underwent . . . — Map (db m87367) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 145 — Chew C. Sawyer — 1918-1973
Chew C. Sawyer was a mid-twentieth century African-American entrepreneur. He founded Sawyer Realty Company, which later became Cornette Realty; Arnette Construction Company; Future Insurance Agency; and Sawyer Rental Agency. In 1956, Sawyer founded . . . — Map (db m86448) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Chickasaw Trail
The main trail of the Chickasaws from their towns in Pontotoc, Miss., here reached the Bayou Gayoso after following roughly the line of Highway 78, Lamar Boulevard, and Marshall Street. — Map (db m63286) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 169 — Christian Brothers High School / Christian Brothers Band
(obverse) Christian Brothers High School Christian Brothers High School, the oldest high school for boys in Memphis, opened November 21, 1871 as the secondary department of Christian Brothers College at 612 Adams Avenue. CBC was . . . — Map (db m63274) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 67 — Church Park
At this location Church Park and Auditorium was established in 1899 by Robert R. Church Sr., a Memphis business man and former slave, to provide recreational facilities for members of his race who had no other place to meet. Many famous Americans, . . . — Map (db m82845) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Church Park Auditorium
Established in 1899, Church's park and auditorium was the only such facility in the United States owned entirely by a black man and conducted in the interest of black people. Standard admission to the auditorium was 15’ seating capacity was 2200, . . . — Map (db m107386) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Civil War in Tennessee — Memphis during the War
In 1860, Memphis had Tennessee's largest cotton and slave markets and was a strategic Mississippi River gateway. The naval battle of Memphis in June 1862 took place as thousands of residents watched nine Union vessels defeat eight Confederate ships. . . . — Map (db m55313) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Clarence Saunders' "Pink Palace"
Clarence Saunders, whose self-service groceries were followed by modern supermarkets, started construction of this building for his home in 1922. It was incomplete when he lost an epic Stock Exchange battle. Developers who bought the grounds gave . . . — Map (db m74831) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Cobblestone Landing
There were several boat landings in this general area during the nineteenth century. An 1827 drawing shows a public landing approximately on-half mile north of this spot, but changes in the "batture" or built-up bank caused by the river moved the . . . — Map (db m88262) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 108 — Collins Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
A “Daughter” of Wesley Chapel (later, the First United Methodist Church), Collins Chapel was organized in 1841 and purchased this site in 1859. Names for its first pastor, J. T. C. Collins, it predates the formation of the CME . . . — Map (db m63368) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Confederate History of Memphis
This bluff was fortified by Gen. Pillow May 1862. Thirty seven companies were equipped here for the Confederate service. The Confederate Ram, Arkansas, one of the first ironclad battleships in the Navy, was built and partially armored here, but . . . — Map (db m82848) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Confederate Park — Reunions and Memorials
Opened in 1906 as part of the Memphis Park and Parkway System, Confederate Park commemorates the Battle of Memphis. When Confederate forces retreated to Mississippi after the Battle of Shiloh in April 1862, unfortified Memphis became vulnerable to . . . — Map (db m82849) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Confederate Soldiers Rest
Confederate Soldiers Rest is located in the Fowler Section of Historic Elmwood Cemetery. Over 1000 Confederate Soldiers and Veterans are buried here. An article in The Memphis Daily Appeal on 27 June 1861 stated that this plot was dedicated to the . . . — Map (db m51628) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Confederate States of America
When Southern states seceded from the Union in 1861, the Mississippi River became not only a vital commercial waterway, but also a strategic route through the heart of the Confederacy. The river proved to be the South's greatest weakness. At the . . . — Map (db m82850) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Congregation B'Nai Israel — (Children of Israel) — First Permanent Jewish House of Worship in Tennesee
Jews have been part of Tennessee’s economic, social and political life since the late 18th century. Congregation Children of Israel, chartered by the State of Tennessee, March 2, 1854, rented and eventually purchased a building near this site at . . . — Map (db m84648) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Crystal Shrine Grotto
A unique cave was constructed by Memoral Park founder E. Clovis Hinds and Mexican artist Dioρicio Rodriguez in 1935-38. Natural rock and quartz crystal collected from the Ozarks form the background for nine scenes from the life of Christ. The cave . . . — Map (db m88312) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Eastland Presbyterian Church
Sunday school held in a schoolhouse led to the formation of Eastland Presbyterian Church November 11, 1906 with Dr. W.H. Gragg, Sr., E.H. Porter and Captain T.H. Savage, Elders. Dr. Gragg secured the lumber for the original frame building from the . . . — Map (db m88498) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 101 — Edward Shaw
In 1870, Edward Shaw became the first Memphis black to run for U.S. Congress. Though he did not win, he was active in politics, serving on the County Commission, the City Council, and as Wharfmaster in the 1870s. In 1875, Shaw was editor of a black . . . — Map (db m83824) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 75 — Elizabeth Avery Meriwether — 1824 - 1917
Born in Bolivar, Elizabeth Meriwether spent much of her life in Memphis. A noted author, her more famous works include The Master of Red Leaf, Black and White, and Recollections of 92 Years. Mrs. Meriwether toured many states lecturing in support of . . . — Map (db m55308) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 72 — Elmwood Cemetery
Elmwood Cemetery was established on August 28, 1852. Buried here are Memphis pioneer families: 14 Confederate generals; victims of the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1878; Governors Isham G. Harris and James C. Jones; U.S. Senators Kenneth D. McKellar, . . . — Map (db m21334) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E-77 — Elvis Aaron Presley
Elvis Presley was born in Tupelo, Mississippi, on January 8, 1935, the son of Vernon and Gladys Presley. He moved to Memphis in 1948. Soon after signing a contract with Sun Records in 1954 he achieved tremendous popularity. His musical and acting . . . — Map (db m9509) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Elvis Presley and Sun Records / Sun Records
Front In July 1954 Sun Records released Elvis Presley's first recording. That record, and Elvis' four that followed on the Sun label, changed popular music. Elvis developed an innovative and different sound combining blues, gospel, and . . . — Map (db m37261) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Eudora Baptist Church
Side 1: Organized October 18, 1850 on two acres of land donated by Col. Eppy White, using the Greek word "Eudora" signifying "good gift" as its name, this church met in a log schoolhouse until the congregation's first structure was erected . . . — Map (db m83572) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 61 — Eugene Magevney
Born in County Fermanagh, Ireland, 1798: immigrated to the United States, 1828; settled in Memphis, 1833. His home was the scene of three important religious occasions in Memphis: first Catholic mass, 1839; first Catholic marriage, 1840; . . . — Map (db m32518) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Fargason Fields
Welcome to Fargason Fields. Conveyed to the college in 1922 by John T. Fargason and his sister Mary Fargason Falls, in memory of their father J.T. Fargason. Fargason Fields encompasses 15 acres on the north side of the campus. Originally the . . . — Map (db m102327) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — First Baptist Church — Continued from the other side
Front On April 3, 1839, 11 Baptists met in the home of Spencer Hail to organize a Baptist church. The next day, the group met to sign articles of faith. On Sunday, April 7, the group was organized as a regular Baptist church and baptised . . . — Map (db m86577) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 130 — First Baptist Church / Mt. Olive CME Church
(Front Side): First Baptist Church The First Baptist Church was designed by architect R. H. Hunt and built in 1906. It is constructed of yellow bricks along a Georgian-architectural style. It housed a congregation of 2,200 members . . . — Map (db m55466) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 155 — First Baptist Church, Lauderdale
Front Originally known as Beale Street Baptists Church First Baptist Church, Lauderdale began in 1865 as the first black Baptist church in West Tennessee. In 1877, it split from Beale Street Baptists. Through a legal action in 1894, it . . . — Map (db m89009) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — First Congregational Church
Founded 1862, organized 1864 with 25 members, this was the earliest Congregational Church in Memphis and State of Tennessee; known first as Union Church, next as Strangers Church, at two downtown locations. This classical modified Ionic building, . . . — Map (db m88064) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — First Holiday Inn
The world’s first Holiday Inn was opened on this site, August 1, 1952 by Memphis entrepreneur Kemmons Wilson as a result of his unsatisfactory lodging experiences on a vacation the prior summer with his wife Dorothy and their five children. He soon . . . — Map (db m63364) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Former Criminal Courts Building
Designed by Jones & Furbringer, Architects, this building opened in 1925 as the Criminal Courts Building, housing two divisions of criminal court, a 300-bed county jail, and various offices. The limestone exterior features several design elements of . . . — Map (db m63366) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 38 — Forrest's Early Home
In a house which stood here in antebellum days lived Nathan Bedford Forrest. Born in middle Tennessee, 1821, he spent his early life on a Mississippi plantation. Following marriage in 1845, he came to Memphis, where his business enterprises made . . . — Map (db m32517) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 29 — Fort Adams/Fort Pike
With Chickasaw approval, Army Captain Isaac Guion erected the United States' first garrison in the mid-Mississippi Valley here in October of 1797. Initially named Fort Adams for the second U.S. President, the stockade was later called Fort Pike, . . . — Map (db m74828) WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — France
France was the first nation to settle and develop the Lower Mississippi. Although they governed it for only 80 years, the French left a lasting impression on the river and its valley. In 1673, Louis Jolliet, a French trader, and Father Jacques . . . — Map (db m53731) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Gen. James M. Kennedy Hospital
A U.S. Army hospital on this site treated more than 44,000 combat veterans during World War II. Opened Jan. 23, 1943, it was named for the late Brig. Gen. James M. Kennedy, distinguished Army surgeon and veteran of both the Spanish-American War and . . . — Map (db m84660) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 144 — George W. Lee — 1894 - 1976
Political, business and civic leader, Lee was a lieutenant in the U.S. Army Expeditionary Force. Heroic in W.W.I, he was an active black combat officer. An insurance executive and capitalist, Lee was leader of the Lincoln League and Old Guard . . . — Map (db m55501) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Graceland
Graceland has been placed on the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Built 1939. — Map (db m138) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Grace-St. Luke's Episcopal Church
St. Luke's Church, founded in 1894 at Idlewild and Union, moved to this location in 1912 where the Right Rev. Thomas F. Gailor, 3rd Bishop of Tennessee, laid the church's cornerstone. Grace Church, founded in 1850 as the first mission church of . . . — Map (db m84423) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Great Britain
As early as the 1730's, a few British traders lived among the Chickasaw in this area, but Great Britain's brief ascendancy on the Lower Mississippi did not began until 1763. In that year, the British defeated France in the Seven Years' War and took . . . — Map (db m82852) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Griffin House
Leighnora Elisabeth Griffin, pictured here in the 1930s, lived at 2118 Madison Avenue from 1919 until her death at age 89. She once turned down an offer price of $500,000 to purchase the home during the mid-70's heyday of Overton Square . . . — Map (db m84680) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Heiskell Farm
Joseph B. Heiskell obtained a farm surrounding this location about 1867. He was Chairman of Code Commission of 1858 establishing the first official Code of Tennessee, member of the First Confederate Congress 1862, member of Convention of 1870 . . . — Map (db m87996) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 141 — Hollis Freeman Price, Sr. — 1904-1982
Hollis Price was the first African-American president of LeMoyne College. In 1968, he guided the college's merger with Owen Junior College. Price was the president of the college for 27 years and upon his retirement became president emeritus. He was . . . — Map (db m83826) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 159 — Hooks Brothers Photography — Established in 1907
Side A Established by Henry A. Hooks, Sr. and his brother Robert B. Hooks, Hooks Brothers Photography Studio was the second oldest continuously operating black business in Memphis. Located during its early years at 164 Beale Street, it . . . — Map (db m32512) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 175 — Hutchison School
Founded in 1902 by Mary Grimes Hutchison as a college preparatory school for girls, it was the first independent school in Memphis accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. In 1925 Hutchison moved to the Union Avenue . . . — Map (db m87083) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 85 — Ida B. Wells — 1862–1931
Ida B. Wells crusaded against lynchings in Memphis and the South. In 1892 while editor of the Memphis Free Speech, located in this vicinity, she wrote of the lynching of three Black businessmen. As a result, her newspaper office was destroyed . . . — Map (db m9306) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Illinois Monument — Memphis National Cemetery
When President Abraham Lincoln called for volunteers to defend the life of our imperiled nation, these valiant sons of Illinois together with other heroes, offered their lives with patriotism unsurpassed. With unflinching bravery they fought . . . — Map (db m61800) WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 124 — Isaac Hayes
In the 1970s Hayes was a multiple gold and platinum-selling recording star. His recording of "Shaft" won an Oscar, Golden Globe, and three Grammy awards. He wrote or co-wrote over 200 songs for Stax Records including "Hold On, I'm Coming" and "Soul . . . — Map (db m87970) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — It was a Struggle for Freedom For Dignity and For Equality — Recognition
The City of Memphis recognizes the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees AFL-CIO Local 1733 as the designated representative for the Division of Public Works for the purpose of negotiations on wages hours and conditions of . . . — Map (db m107458) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 107 — J. Millard "Jack" Smith — 1895-1976
Born at Statonville, Tennessee, J. Millard "Jack" Smith was president of Memphis State College from 1946 until 1960 and was the first alumnus of the college to become president. Following World War II, he guided the institution through an era of . . . — Map (db m86688) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — James H. Malone — Oct. 31, 1851 - June 29, 1929
The 35th mayor of Memphis, 1906-1910. Author of "The Chickasaw Nation". He shared a legal office on the 11th floor of the exchange building, overlooking Court Square, with his younger brother Walter Malone. Judge of the second circuit court of . . . — Map (db m74800) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Jane Terrell Hospital
The Negro Baptist Association founded the Jane Terrell Baptist Hospital at 698 Williams in 1909 under the leadership of Dr. C.A. Terrell. At his death, it was permanently renamed Terrell Memorial Hospital under the leadership of Dr. N. M. Watson. By . . . — Map (db m86566) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Jefferson Davis Memorial — President of the Confederate States of America 1861 - 1865
(Front):Jefferson Davis President of the Confederate States of America 1861 - 1865 Before the War Between the States, he served with distinction as a United States Congressman and twice as a United States Senator. He also served as . . . — Map (db m51441) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Jefferson Davis Park
When Riverside Drive was constructed in the mid-1930's, this park was built on what had been an old dumping ground for construction debris and dredge soil. It was enlarged to its present size in 1937, using material dredged from the river. . . . — Map (db m88264) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — John B. Weatherall — Hero-Loved One — 1900-1953
On the tragic day of September 12, 1953, John Weatherall gave his life in dedication to his job at Peabody Elementary School. WWI Veteran, devoted family man and custodian of Peabody Elementary, John Weatherall became aware of a fire at the school . . . — Map (db m84836) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Johnny Cash's First Performance / Johnny Cash and Tennessee Two
Johnny Cash's First Performance The singer-songwriter who became know as "The Man in Black," Johnny Cash launched his music career on this site in December 1954. Working as a door-to-door appliance salesman, Cash teamed up with guitarist . . . — Map (db m102825) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 158 — Josiah T. Settle — 1850 - 1915
After a noted legal and legislative career in Mississippi, Settle came to Memphis in 1885. During the late 1880s, he served as Assistant Attorney General of the Criminal Court of Shelby County, an appointment unprecedented for an African-American at . . . — Map (db m82853) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Kuni Wada Bakery Remembrance
"When nothing else subsists from the past, after the people are dead, after the things are broken and scattered. The smell and taste of things remain poised a long time, like souls. Bearing resiliently, on tiny and almost impalpable drops of . . . — Map (db m89358) HM WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Lansky Brothers — Clothier to the King
Lansky Brothers was founded in 1946 by Bernard and Guy Lansky with a $125 investment from their father, S. L. Lansky. The store began at 126 Beale Street as an army surplus store, but gradually changed to accommodate customers interested in a . . . — Map (db m63367) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Lauderdale Courts / Presley Family at Lauderdale Courts
Lauderdale Courts Built in 1936 by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, Lauderdale Courts was one of the first federal housing projects in the nation. It replaced substandard housing with clean, modern dwellings for the . . . — Map (db m87028) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E-114 — Lowenstein Mansion
Born in Germany in 1835, Elias Lowenstein emigrated to Memphis in 1854. The firm which he headed, B. Lowenstein & Bros. Department Store, was prominent in Memphis for 125 years. A leader in the Jewish community, he served as president of Temple . . . — Map (db m74816) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 153 — Lucie Eddie Campbell — Composer, Educator and Activist — 1885-1963
Front Born in Duck Hill, Mississippi, in 1885, the youngest of seven children, Lucie E. Campbell moved to Memphis and was educated in the Memphis public schools. She graduated as valedictorian from Kortrecht High School (later . . . — Map (db m89011) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 132 — Mallory-Neely House
Built circa 1852, this 25-room Italian villa-style mansion was home to the Isaac Kirtland, Benjamin Babb, James C. Neely, Daniel Grant, and Barton Lee Mallory families between 1852 and 1969. Extensively renovated during the 1880s and 1890s, it . . . — Map (db m63369) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 146 — Manassas High School / The Cora P. Taylor Auditorium
Manassas High School Manassas High School was established by Spencer Johnson and others in 1899 on the west side of Manassas Street. Originally a two-room framed structure in 1900, more rooms were added between 1902 and 1904. In 1918, a . . . — Map (db m87974) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 123 — Mary Church Terrell — 1863 - 1954
Born in Memphis in 1863, Mary Church Terrell was noted as a champion of human rights. The daughter of millionaire Robert Church, Sr., she was graduated from Oberlin College in 1884 and later made her home in Washington, D.C. In 1904, she was a . . . — Map (db m63342) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Mason Temple — Church of God in Christ
This temple serves as foremost edifice at the world headquarters of the Church of God in Christ which was organized in 1897 by Bishop Charles Harrison Mason, son of former slaves. Built during World War II by the loyal members of the Church, Mason . . . — Map (db m89004) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Maxwelton (Circa 1855-1860)
Judge John Louis Taylor Sneed (1820-1901) named this house which is built of native poplar and cypress. Only a few of this "Victorian piano-box" style, more common to middle-Tennessee, survive. E.A. Spottswood, Sr. sold this land to Levi Joy in . . . — Map (db m84457) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Memphis and Shelby County Medical Society
In Memoriam 1917-------------1918 In Memory of The Four Members of The Memphis and Shelby County Medical Society Who gave their lives in the service of their fellow men in the World War Capt. Robert B. Underwood - Lieut. A.P. . . . — Map (db m88260) WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Memphis Belle — Boeing B-17 F #41-24485 — Margaret Polk
Front Margaret Polk Margaret Polk was a Memphis resident and a graduate of the Hutchison School. While a student at Southwestern in Memphis, she dated Pilot Robert Morgan prior to his deployment overseas. Bob named his B-17F-Memphis . . . — Map (db m85160) HM WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Memphis City Hospital
In 1836 the state authorized building a brick hospital on this site, chiefly for river travelers. In 1873 it became a municipal institution. After its razing in 1891, the location became Forrest Park. — Map (db m74826) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 63 — Memphis Martyrs
In August, 1878, fear of death caused a panic during which 30,000 of 50,000 Memphians fled this bluff city. By October, the epidemic of yellow fever killed 4,204 of 6,000 Caucasians and 946 of 14,000 Negros who stayed. With some outside help, . . . — Map (db m7583) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Memphis National Cemetery
This National Cemetery has been listed in The National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1996 — Map (db m107637) WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 164 — Memphis Queen II
Built in 1955 by the Dubuque Boat & Boiler Company, the Memphis Queen II was the first all-steel passenger ship on the Mississippi River. Measuring 85 feet long by 43 feet wide, it features two decks, two smokestacks, and a stern wheel . . . — Map (db m88257) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Memphis State Eight
Front In the fall of 1959 some 4,500 students enrolled at Memphis State University. Among them were eight African Americans, the first to break the University's color barrier. They were Bertha Mae Rogers (Looney), Rose Blakney (Love) and . . . — Map (db m86685) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Memphis University School
Founded in the downtown area in 1893 by Principals E.S. Werts and J.W.S Rhea, Memphis University School soon became the city's leading boys' preparartory school. Although the "old MUS" succumbed to the Great Depression in 1936, alumni and friends . . . — Map (db m87087) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 137 — Mt. Moriah Baptist Church
Mt. Moriah was founded in 1879. The oldest church in the area, it was relocated to this site in 1893, predating the Orange Mound community by seven years. A vernacular-sandstone building, the present edifice was completed in 1926, during the . . . — Map (db m83960) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Mud Island
Mud Island, across the old Wolf River channel before you, began to be formed by the Mississippi River around 1900. By 1916 there was concern that it would grow so far south that it would block access to the harbor, so the island was connected to . . . — Map (db m88265) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Mullins United Methodist Church
Mullins United Methodist Church, named for its first minister, the Reverend Lorenzo Dow Mullins, was established July 15, 1845, in a one-room log cabin structure on this site. Federal troops dismantled the building using its timbers to construct . . . — Map (db m84551) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — N. B. Forrest Camp 215 Sons of Confederate Veterans
On June 28, 1900, a group of over 100 sons and grandsons of Confederate veterans met in Memphis to organize a local chapter, or "camp" of the United Sons of Confederate Veterans, later known as the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV). Following . . . — Map (db m82854) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 10 — Nashoba
To the south lay this plantation. Here, in 1827, a Scottish spinster heiress named Francis Wright set up a colony whose aims were the enforcement of cooperative living and other advanced sociological experiments. It failed in 1830. — Map (db m85673) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 104 — Nat D. Williams
In 1948, Nat D. Williams became the first black radio announcer in Memphis when he began broadcasting for WDIA. He was a cofounder of the Cotton Makers Jubilee and is credited with giving the celebration its name. A history teacher in the Memphis . . . — Map (db m13748) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Nathan Bedford Forrest
Nathan - Bedford - Forrest MDCCCXXI - MDCCCLXVII "Those hoof beats die not upon fame's crimson sod, But will ring through her song and her story; He fought like a Titan and struck like a god, And his dust is our ashes of glory." . . . — Map (db m51510) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 117 — Nathan Bedford Forrest III, Airman
(obverse) Brigadier General N.B. Forrest, III, U.S. Army Air Force, was born in Memphis on April 7, 1905 and was the first American General Officer killed in combat against the nazis during World War II. He died while participating in a . . . — Map (db m82855) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Naval Battle of Memphis, 1862
Atop these bluffs in the early morning hours of June 6, 1862, the citizens of Memphis gathered in excited anticipation as the Confederate River Defense Fleet steamed out into the Mississippi to meet the descending Union Gunboat Fleet. The . . . — Map (db m82856) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Normal Depot
Southern Railway's Normal Depot was completed in time for the dedication of the West Tennessee Normal School on September 10, 1912. A brick Craftsman-style building with a tiled hip roof, it was a commuter station with separate white and "colored" . . . — Map (db m84112) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Normal Station Neighborhood
Named for a teacher's college and railroad depot, the Normal Station neighborhood is bounded by Goodlett, Park, Highland, and Southern. The Chickasaws originally had a hunting camp on Black Bayou that runs through the area. William F. Eckles bought . . . — Map (db m87434) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — North Carolina
In the 1700s, the western boundary of the British Crown Colony of North Carolina extended, in theory, to the Mississippi River. Much of this was academic, however, and the western Tennessee territory which bordered the river was in fact the property . . . — Map (db m53732) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 54 — North Memphis Driving Park
The southwest corner of this mile harness track was here; its long axis ran northeastward. It was developed mainly by C.K.G. Billings. Here Ed Geers brought out many famous horses. Here also, Dan Patch made his record of 1:55Ό, and here occurred the . . . — Map (db m87930) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Oak Grove Baptist Church
Named Oak Grove because of its original location in a grove of Oak trees, the history of the church began with a small group of "freed" blacks in 1863. Mary C. and Ella J. Williams of Williams plantation permitted the members to use a parcel of the . . . — Map (db m88310) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Oakville Missionary Baptist Church
Front Founded in 1871 and organized in 1872, this church is among Shelby County's oldest active African American congregations. Originally known as "Oakville Colored Church", it was organized by former slaves and their families and . . . — Map (db m87271) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 97 — Orange Mound
Orange Mound, developed as a Negro subdivision at the turn of the century, was formerly a 5000 acre plantation owned by John George Deaderick. Bounded by the Southern Railway on the north, Airways on the west, Park on the south, and Goodwyn on the . . . — Map (db m83993) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Overton Park
The 342 acre Lea Woods was bought in 1901 as the first project of Memphis Park Commission on advice of Olmsted Brothers, noted landscape and architects. By popular vote it was named for Judge John Overton, a city founder. Naturalistic landscaping . . . — Map (db m82857) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Owen College — 1954-1968
In 1946, the Tennessee Baptist Missionary and Educational Convention, a negro religious group, purchased twelve acres of ground and buildings at Vance Avenue and Orleans Street for $375,000 to begin a school. In 1954, Owen College, a two year . . . — Map (db m107447) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 83 — Pee Wee Saloon — (P. Wee Saloon)
Pee Wee's Saloon was the favorite meeting spot for Memphis musicians in the early 20th century. W.C. Handy used the cigar counter to write out copies of the Beale Street Blues for his band members. One of those songs, written for the 1909 political . . . — Map (db m9302) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Phi Beta Sigma/Abram Langston Taylor
Phi Beta Sigma Native Tennessean Abram Langston Taylor, near this spot, 423 Beale Avenue, conceived the idea of establishing an international organization of college and professional men dedicated to “Culture for Service and Service . . . — Map (db m63343) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 110 — Piggly Wiggly
Marker Front: With a brass band, a beauty contest, flowers for the ladies, and balloons for the children Clarence Saunders of Memphis opened the first Piggly Wiggly, America's first completely self-service grocery store, at 79 Jefferson . . . — Map (db m88646) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Poplar Tunes / One-Stop Shop — 306-308 Poplar Avenue
Poplar Tunes Calling itself "Memphis' Original Record Shop," Poplar Tunes lived up to its billing. Founders Joe Cuoghi and John Novarese opened the store in 1946, selling records for the retail, wholesale and jukebox trade. Demo records . . . — Map (db m87025) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — R.S. Lewis & Sons Funeral Home
Founded in 1914 by Robert Stevenson Lewis Sr. and later operated by sons Robert Jr. and Clarence, the family business became committed to improving the quality of life for African-Americans in the community. Among their achievements, in the 1920s . . . — Map (db m107484) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 79 — Rhodes College
Its progenitor was Montgomery Masonic College, founded at Clarksville in 1848. Named Stewart College in 1855, it became a college of the Presbyterian church in 1861 and was incorporated as Southwestern Presbyterian University in 1875. It moved here . . . — Map (db m87354) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Rose Garden — Memphis National Cemetery
This rose garden is dedicated to the memory and honor of all veterans. Through the generosity of the local districts of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Tipton County Veterans Council, the Junior League Garden Club, the Memphis Rose Society, the . . . — Map (db m107481) WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 119 — Rufus Thomas, Jr.
(Obverse) Born March 26, 1917, in Cayce, Mississippi, this legendary entertainer known worldwide, began his career in the 1930s with the Rabbit Foot Minstrel Shows. He was the organizer and master of ceremonies of the amateur shows in the . . . — Map (db m9303) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 138 — Sara Roberta Church — 1914-1995
In 1952, Roberta Church became the first black woman in Memphis to be elected to public office and to the Tennessee Republican State Executive Committee. She served as an official in the administrations of Presidents Eisenhower and Nixon. In 1987, . . . — Map (db m63290) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Schools For Freedmen
The first free "colored" school in the city was opened in early 1863 in a barrack building in South Memphis. In 1864 the U.S. Army issued a general order authorizing its officers to help with these schools for the education of freedmen. In 1865 . . . — Map (db m82858) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Second Congregational Church
Founded by the American Missionary Association in 1868, Second Congregational Church was originally at 239 Orleans. It was a chapel for LeMoyne Normal Institute. The present church, designed and built by Black artisans, was completed in 1928. In . . . — Map (db m83841) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Second Presbyterian Church
(obverse) This church was founded on Dec. 28, 1844, on Front St. near Gayoso. It has since become the parent of ten daughter churches. It erected its first owned building in 1849 at Main and Beale. During the Civil War, Federal troops . . . — Map (db m63365) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 47 — Shelby County / Memphis
Shelby County Established 1819; named in honor of ISAAC SHELBY who, along with Andrew Jackson, was appointed United States Commissioner; together they arranged the purchase of the Western District from the Chickasaw Indian Nation . . . — Map (db m82859) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Shelby County Courthouse
Designed by Architect James Gamble Rogers and dedicated on January 1, 1910, the Shelby County Courthouse is the largest and most ornate in Tennessee. Quarterly Court Chairman James Hill Barret led the movement for the imposing structure with modern . . . — Map (db m82860) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Site of the former Union Avenue United Methodist Church
1895- Lenox Methodist Episcopal South 1918- Union Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church South 1923-Ground-Breaking of new sanctuary on March 14 1968- Union Avenue Congregation 2010 - The Union Avenue Congregation merged with St. Luke's United . . . — Map (db m84850) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Solvent Savings Bank
The Solvent Savings Bank and Trust Company founded by Robert Church, Sr., first Negro bank established in Memphis, opened at this site, 392 Beale Street, in 1906. It survived the money panic of 1907 and became the fourth largest black bank in the . . . — Map (db m48758) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Southwestern Alumni World War II Memorial
Dedicated To The Memory of Southwestern Alumni Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice In World War II James S. Allman '42    Logan W. Hughs '36 Carl A. Arnout '42    William I. Hunt '34 Roy D Bachman '10    Curtis B. Hurley, Jr. '42 Hays Brantley, . . . — Map (db m102270) WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Spain
The Spanish were the first Europeans to discover the Lower Mississippi, but 260 years of shifting international politics allowed them only occasional sovereignty over the area. Hernando DeSoto's pioneering expedition stumbled on the Mississippi . . . — Map (db m53733) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 150 — St. Agnes Academy
Founded January 10, 1851, St. Agnes Academy was sponsored by the Dominican Sisters from Kentucky. The school continued to operate during the Civil War and some nuns were pressed into service as nurses. Through the yellow fever epidemics of the . . . — Map (db m84700) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 74 — St. John's United Methodist Church
The earliest members of this church were among the founders of Methodism in Memphis. This congregation, established in 1859 as Central Church Mission, first met on Union Avenue. St. John's built in 1907, was designed by Beauregard C. Alsup. The . . . — Map (db m83789) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — St. Mary's Cathedral Chapel and Diocesan House
St. Mary's Cathedral Chapel and Diocesan House The church was founded on this site as an Episcopal Mission in 1857 and consecrated on Ascension Day in 1858 by James Otey, the first Bishop of Tennessee. It was designated as the Diocesan . . . — Map (db m88167) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — St. Mary's Catholic Church
Parish founded in 1852 by German Catholics desiring ministry in their native tongue. Cornerstone laid 30 Sept. 1864 at this site while Union soldiers fired a salute. Second oldest Catholic church in Memphis. Designed by noted architect James B. Cook . . . — Map (db m87022) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 136 — St. Mary's Episcopal School
Front St. Mary's Episcopal School is the oldest private school in Memphis. It has operated continuously since its founding in 1847, and during most of its existence has been exclusively for girls. During the Civil War, Headmistress Mary . . . — Map (db m86306) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — St. Peter Catholic Church
St. Peter's was founded in 1840, the first Roman Catholic parish in West Tennessee and given to the Dominican Order in 1846. The present church was built 1852~1855 around a smaller church which was then dismantled and carried out the doors. Within . . . — Map (db m32516) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Statuary at the Shelby County Courthouse
Exterior statuary at the Shelby County Courthouse includes, most prominently, six seated figures carved from single blocks of Tennessee marble, representing Wisdom, Justice, Liberty, Authority, Peace, and Prosperity. Near the top of the north facade . . . — Map (db m82861) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 127 — T. H. Hayes and Sons Funeral Home
Founded in 1902 by Thomas H. Hayes, Sr., T.H. Hayes and Sons Funeral Home is Memphis' oldest black business. Originally on Poplar, the business moved to Lauderdale in 1918. Hayes was active in the National Negro Business League founded by Booker T. . . . — Map (db m89007) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Tennessee
Although eastern Tennessee was settled in the 1770's, Western Tennessee was still wilderness when the state was admitted to the Union in 1796. Fort Pickering, a trading post of the Fourth Chickasaw Bluff was located near present day Memphis. At the . . . — Map (db m82862) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Tennessee Club
Bronze Plaque This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.

Corner stone Tennessee Club founded in 1875 by General Colton Greene. Club house built in 1890. Building . . . — Map (db m74805) HM

Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Tennessee Williams Play
On the evening of July 12, 1935, in the garden behind this house, the Garden Players under the direction of Arthur Scharff performed Tennessee Williams' first staged play "Cairo, Shanghai, Bombay." Bernice D. Shapiro was listed as co-author, and . . . — Map (db m87436) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Tennessee Williams Play
In the spring of 1935 while visiting his grandparents, the Rev. and Mrs. Walter Dakin, at 1917 Snowden, Tennessee Williams first encountered Chekhov in Southwestern's library and wrote his first produced play. "Cairo, Shanghai, Bombay." It was . . . — Map (db m87440) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 154 — The Blues Foundation
The Blues Foundation, the world’s premier organization dedicated to honoring, preserving, and promoting the blues, was founded in Memphis in 1980. Mississippi-born performers and business professionals in the Foundation’s Blues Hall of Fame . . . — Map (db m63288) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 72 — The Blues Trail From Mississippi to Memphis
The bright lights of Beale Street and the promise of musical stardom have lured blues musicians from nearby Mississippi since the early 1900s. Early Memphis blues luminaries who migrated from Mississippi include Gus Cannon, Furry Lewis, Jim Jackson . . . — Map (db m82863) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Commercial Appeal / Publishing Locations
(side 1) The Commercial Appeal This newspaper began in 1839 as THE WESTERN WORLD & MEMPHIS BANNER OF THE CONSTITUTION. In 1840 Col. Henry Van Pelt bought and renamed it THE MEMPHIS APPEAL. During the Civil War it published on the . . . — Map (db m55377) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 71 — The First Lee House
Built in 1869 by James Lee, Jr. (1832–1905), lawyer, riverman and leader in the development of Memphis, the first Lee House was designed by architect Joseph Willis. In this home of Italianate-Victorian design also lived James Lee, Sr. . . . — Map (db m82864) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 84 — The First Railroad in West Tennessee — The LaGrange and Memphis Railroad
Organized in 1835, the LaGrange and Memphis Railroad operated the first train from Memphis 4 1/2 miles on March 29, 1842, on the present roadbed of the Southern Railway. The depot which was destroyed by fire February 1, 1853 was located here. The . . . — Map (db m8125) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Hiker — Spanish War Veterans — 1898-1902
Typifying the American Volunteer who fought Spain in Cuba, the Philippines, and Boxer Rebellion. Erected in 1956 with funds raised by Spanish War veterans of Memphis under the leadership of Fred Bauer, Commander. — Map (db m86723) WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Hunt-Phelan Home
During the Civil War, the house was commandeered by General Ulysses Grant as his Memphis Headquarters; Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, and a friend of the Hunt Family, also spent time in the house. Later, it was used as a Federal . . . — Map (db m55514) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Lindenwood Christian Church — (Disciples of Christ)
Front This congregation began meeting in the home of Simon Bradford at Front and Talbot in 1837. Encouraged by visits from Alexander Campbell, one of the founders of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the first Christian Church . . . — Map (db m87091) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E-95 — The Lorraine Motel
Originally the Windsor Hotel (c. 1925) and later one of only a few hotels for blacks, it hosted such entertainers as Cab Calloway, Aretha Franklin, Count Basie, B.B. King, and Nat King Cole. Walter and Loree Bailey bought it in 1942, renaming it the . . . — Map (db m82865) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Lynching of Ell Persons
Side One Near this spot on May 22, 1917, a lynching party chained Ell Persons to a log, doused him in gasoline, and burned him alive. An estimated 5,000 spectators witnessed his death or viewed his remains soon afterward. Persons, a black . . . — Map (db m103638) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Lynching of Ell Persons
Front Near this spot, on May 22, 1917, a mob tied Ell Persons to a log, doused him with gasoline, and burned him alive. Several thousand people watched in what newspapers described as a holiday atmosphere. Authorities had arrested Persons, a . . . — Map (db m105947) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Memphis 13 / Springdale Elementary School
Front The first African-American students to enroll in Springdale Elementary were Deborah Holt and Jaqueline Moore. Both lived closer to Springdale than to the African-American school where they otherwise would have been assigned. . . . — Map (db m89501) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Memphis 13/Bruce Elementary
Front The first African-American students to enroll in Bruce Elementary were Dwania Kyles, Menelik Fombi (formerly Michael Willis), and Harry Williams. All lived closer to Bruce than to the African-American school where they would other . . . — Map (db m89522) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Memphis 13/Gordon Elementary School
Front The first African-American students to enroll in Gordon Elementary School were Sharon Malone, Sheila Malone, Pamela Mayes, and Alvin Freeman. They were chosen in part because they lived closer to traditionally white schools than to . . . — Map (db m89503) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Memphis 13/Rozelle Elementary School
Front The first African-American students to enroll in Rozelle Elementary School were E. C. Freeman, Joyce Bell, Clarence Williams, and Leandrew Wiggens. Mattie Freeman, mother of E. C. Freeman, said, "It would be foolish to send my . . . — Map (db m89524) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Memphis Home of W.C. Handy
Musician • Composer • Publisher. 1873–1958. Father of the Blues. In this house was born Memphis Blues, St. Louis Blues, Beale Street Blues and other great songs. This house was moved here from 659 Janette Street in 1983 and . . . — Map (db m3240) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 156 — The Mount Nebo Baptist Church
Front Completed in 1896, this Gothic church edifice was erected by the Grace Episcopal Church. Because the Memphis Housing Authority selected a site for public housing in proximity to Grace Episcopal Church, in November 1938, Grace . . . — Map (db m89017) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Omlie Tower — Vernon Cleophas Omlie (1895-1936) Phoebe Fairgrave Omlie (1902-1975)
Vernon Omlie, a flight instructor during World War I, and Phoebe Fairgrave began barnstorming in the Midwest in 1921. They landed in Memphis a year later, married and opened the first commercial aviation company in Memphis. Mid-South Airways, Inc. . . . — Map (db m89711) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — The Overton Park Shell/The Levitt Shell At Overton Park
The Overton Park Shell The Works Progress Administration and City of Memphis built the Overton park Shell in 1936 for $11,935. Of 27 WPA Shells built nationwide, this is one of the few remaining. However, several time city officials slated . . . — Map (db m99173) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 64 — The University of Memphis
This public institution of higher learning has grown with the city of Memphis since opening in 1912. Its development went through the following stages: West Tennessee State Normal School (1912-25); West Tennessee State Teachers College (1925-1941); . . . — Map (db m74832) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 128 — The University of West Tennessee
In 1900, the University of West Tennessee was established by Dr. Miles V. Lynk, M.D. Seven years later he moved it to Memphis. A graduate of Meharry Medical College, Dr. Lynk was editor of the Medical and Surgical Observer, the first medical journal . . . — Map (db m106486) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — This Chimney Swift Tower
This chimney swift tower celebrates the work of Ben and Lula Coffey who directed members of the Tennessee Ornithological Society, Boy Scouts, and others in banding 113,000 swifts from 1932 to 1959. Rediscovery of six of the bands in Peru helped to . . . — Map (db m108330) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — This flagpole is dedicated to the men and women of the United States military services — as represented by the Reserve Officers Training Corps units established on the University of Memphis
The American Flag flying above you was previously flown over 14th Air Force Headquarters, Vandenberg AFB, CA on May 13, 2011 supporting Joint Space Forces and the Department of Defense. During World War II, by executive order signed by President . . . — Map (db m86684) HM WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — This Plaque is Dedicated to Father and Son, Leaders of Their Race — Whose Accomplishments Brought Honorable Recognition — To The City of Memphis
Robert R. Church, Sr. 1839-1912 Pioneer businessman, first citizen to buy bond to restore City Charter after yellow fever epidemics of 1878-1879 had reduced Memphis to a taxing district, bought bond number one of first series for . . . — Map (db m107461) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 69 — Thomas Alva Edison
In 1865-66 Edison was military telegraph operator with the Federal occupation army, working in a building formerly at the east corner of North Court and November 6 Streets, and boarding next door. Trying to invent an auto-repeat key, he managed to . . . — Map (db m74808) HM WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Tom
The majestic Bengal tiger was adopted as the official mascot of Memphis in 1939. It represents the University's commitment to academic excellence and celebrates leadership, athletic strength and valor. To foster campus spirit, the Highland Hundred . . . — Map (db m86718) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Tom Lee Memorial — A very worthy Negro
Tom Lee with his boat “Zev” saved thirty-two lives when the steamer U.S. Norman sank about twenty miles below Memphis May 8, 1925. But he has a finer monument than this—an invisible one. A monument of kindliness, generosity, . . . — Map (db m4947) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Tom Lee Monument
Late afternoon of May 8, 1925, Tom Lee (1886-1952) steered his 28' skiff Zev upriver after delivering an official to Helena. Also on the river was a steamboat, the M. E. Norman, carrying members of the Engineers Club of Memphis, . . . — Map (db m82866) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 173 — Tragic Accident Sparks Sanitation Strike
Side 1 On February 1, 1968, sanitation workers Echol Cole and Robert Walker took shelter from the rain inside their truck's garbage barrel because they had no raincoats. One block south of here, at the corner of Colonial and Verne, the . . . — Map (db m83491) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — U.S. Supreme Court Rules On Overton Park and I-40 — 1956 - 2006
In 1971, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the State of Tennessee could not go through Overton Park to build I-40 based on environmental issues. This east-west interstate now follows I-240 around the north side of Memphis. It remains the only . . . — Map (db m37713) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 131 — Universal Life Insurance Building/Universal Life Insurance Company
Universal Life Insurance Building Designed by the African-American architectural firm of McKissack and McKissack and constructed in 1949, this building houses the national headquarters of the Universal Life Insurance Company. The . . . — Map (db m63289) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 76 — Virginia ("Ginnie") Bethel Moon — 1844-1926
The daughter of a Confederate sympathizer, Ginnie Moon was a noted Southern Civil War spy. Born in Ohio, Ginnie moved to Memphis with her mother in 1862. She was arrested for spying soon after the Federal Army occupied the city, but escaped to . . . — Map (db m55309) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 118 — WDIA — The Goodwill Station
WDIA, the Goodwill Station, was the first radio station in the nation to have an all-black format. This format made WDIA the top-rated Memphis Station in the early 1950's. In 1948, Nat D. Williams became its first black "D-J". Among those who . . . — Map (db m55317) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — William G. Leftwich, Jr. Memorial — Semper Fidelis
This monument is erected to preserve the memory of William G. Leftwich, Jr., Lt. Colonel, United States Marine Corps. A native Memphian who lost his life on November 18, 1970, when the helicopter carrying him and members of a reconnaissance team he . . . — Map (db m83801) WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — William Neely Mallory — Major, U.S. Air Force — 1901---1945 Churchman Athlete Patriot Philanthropist
This building is dedicated as an enduring memorial to William Neely Mallory-outstanding athlete, distinguished citizen, gallant soldier. A dynamic leader and All-America fullback, "Memphis Bill" was named by his classmates "the man who did the most . . . — Map (db m102328) HM WM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Winchester Cemetery
The Winchester New Burying Grounds was established in 1828 as the first cemetery by Andrew Jackson, John Overton, and James Winchester, the three original land owners of Memphis. At that time, the city government was less than two years old. Prior . . . — Map (db m88161) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 135 — WLOK Radio Station
In 1977 WLOK became Memphis' first African-American owned radio station. Established on this site, Gilliam Communications' WLOK is a family-oriented format on which many of the nation's top African-American leaders have appeared. Several of the . . . — Map (db m13819) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — WMC Radio Station
Memphis' first full-service radio station began regularly scheduled broadcasting on January 20, 1923, from the top floor of this building, which was then the home of The Commercial Appeal newspaper. Listeners enjoyed a full range of musical . . . — Map (db m98306) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — 4E 94 — Zion Cemetery
Zion Cemetery, comprising 15 acres, was established in 1876 by the United Sons of Zion Association, a group of former slaves who responded to the need for a respectable burial site for African-Americans. It is the final resting place for many . . . — Map (db m86450) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Memphis — Zippin Pippin / Libertyland
Side 1 Zippin Pippin The wooden roller coaster erected on the Fairgrounds in 1923 was the Mid-South’s premier outdoor amusement park ride for more than eight decades. It was built by coaster design pioneer John Miller and was . . . — Map (db m106354) HM

181 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement