Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lawrence County South Dakota Historical Markers

 
Black Hills Pioneers Marker (<i>wide view</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, July 11, 2018
Black Hills Pioneers Marker (wide view)
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Black Hills Pioneers
Dedicated to the pioneers who founded the Society of Black Hills Pioneers and made such an outstanding contribution to the settlement and development of this highly coveted region. Their descendants and successors will forever honor . . . — Map (db m120999) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Black Hills Trust and Savings BankNational Register of Historic Places
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Built 1904 Restored 1990 by First Western Bank — Map (db m126699) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — 4 — Bonanza in the Hills
The placer gold in the creeks had been eroded from the surrounding hills. By late 1876, miners began shifting their attentions to the source of the gold by tunneling into the hills. Such hard rock mining used explosives instead of pans and . . . — Map (db m49651) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Burlington Interurban Power Plant
This is the site of the Burlington Interurban Power Plant, commonly known as the Burlington Powerhouse. The Powerhouse was originally built to generate electricity to run a passenger trolley between the cities of Lead and Deadwood. The Powerhouse . . . — Map (db m121059) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad Yard
(Panel 1) In its heyday, the Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad yard was a beehive of activity. Four different railroads including the Deadwood Central, the Black Hills & Ft. Pierre, the Grand Island & Wyoming Central, and the . . . — Map (db m121051) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Chinatown
Although the Chinatowns of New York, San Francisco and Chicago are more well-known, these ethnic enclaves weren't exclusive to America's urban centers. There were many Chinatowns in Western boomtowns, including one right here on Deadwood's Lower . . . — Map (db m120093) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Chinese Immigrants
Chinese Immigrants came to Deadwood to make their fortune. After burial in Mt. Moriah, with appropriate ceremonies, the remains were removed for reburial in their home village in China. Not more than two bodies remain in the Chinese Section. — Map (db m49688) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — 13 — Civic Stability
Deadwood erected two monuments to order and permanence in the early 1900s. The federal building open in 1907, and activities in the county courthouse started the next year.

In its early gold rush days, Deadwood had been a wild, raucous mining . . . — Map (db m49689) HM

South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp F-6 (Roubaix): 100 yards N of Lake entrance: W of road. Companies: 792--6/3/33-5/15/35: 10/18/35 6/1/40; 10/1/40-10/11/41; 2759V-(Detachment from Park Creek)--5/15/35-10/18/35. The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal work-relief . . . — Map (db m34248) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Civilian Conservation Corps CampCamp F-20 / Park Creek
Camp F-20 Park Creek: located 3 mi E on FH 534; 2.75 mi N on FH 180; W of creek Companies: 2759V – 11/2/34-7/30/41; 792 – 10/11/41-12/14/41 The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during 1933-1942 that gave . . . — Map (db m124592) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Deadwood 1876
Thousands of people suddenly burst into Deadwood Gulch in 1876. Some came to try their luck at mining; others hoped to strike it rich with supply stores, restaurants and saloons. "Six weeks ago the site of Deadwood City was a heavy frost of . . . — Map (db m120993) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Deadwood Changing -- 1884 1902 and Now
Note the sites of the county courthouse, the federal building, the depot, the slime plant, and the school. The buildings on Main Street also changed character. Whitewood Creek was partly channelized in 1884, and is covered by a highway today. — Map (db m36631) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Deadwood City 1876
Thousands of people suddenly burst into Deadwood Gulch in 1876. Some came to try their luck at mining, while others hoped to strike it rich with supply stores, restaurants, and saloons. "Six weeks ago the site of Deadwood City was a heavy . . . — Map (db m36563) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Deadwood's Carnegie Library
Andrew Carnegie, steel tycoon and philanthropist, is best known for his charitable contributions in financing public libraries. From 1886 until his death in 1919, Carnegie supported the construction of 1,679 public libraries across the United . . . — Map (db m121064) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Deadwood's First City Park
By the mid-1890s Deadwood city officials deemed it necessary to purchase a tract of land to be used for recreation and enjoyment by its citizens. Almost fifteen years elapsed before Deadwood's first city park was created. The park surrounding . . . — Map (db m120232) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Forest Hill
After gold was discovered in Deadwood Gulch in 1875, commercial buildings were quickly erected on the flat land along Main Street, leaving the hillsides above as the only area for residential development. The first houses in Deadwood were built on . . . — Map (db m120994) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Generations of Change
Within twenty years Deadwood changed from mining camp to prosperous Victorian city. Deadwood survived several floods and fires, each time replacing the destroyed wood-framed buildings with stone and brick. The town acquired some modern . . . — Map (db m36630) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — George S. Mickelson Trail
After using a long stretch of track that went through the scenic Black Hills for almost a century, the Burlington Northern & Santa Fe (formerly Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company) quit running in 1983. The idea to turn the railroad into a . . . — Map (db m121055) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — 1 — Gold Discovery in the Great Sioux Reservation
Gold sparkled in the prospector’s pan – the first discovery of the mineral in Deadwood Gulch. Exactly who the prospector was -- or the date and place of the discovery – is open to question. It is generally agreed that the Frank Bryant . . . — Map (db m49648) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — 2 — Gold in the Gulch
Placer miners first looked for gold among the gravel and sand in the creek bottoms, such as the one near you. If panning was productive, a group of miners would build a sluice to wash gold from the gravel.

[Illustration captions, left to right:] . . . — Map (db m49649) HM

South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Hebrew Hill (Mt. Zion)
Deadwood is recognized as the site of the first organized Jewish Community in South Dakota. The Hebrew Cemetery Association was the first to purchase a section of Mount Moriah Cemetery, August 20, 1896. The section is located higher up on Jerusalem . . . — Map (db m27070) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Historic Facade Replication
A fire in 1982 destroyed the historic Horace Clark and Apex buildings. The facades of the two buildings were replicated in 1997. 1900, Horace Clark Building (left); 1897, Apex Building (right). Owner: Olympic Gaming SD, L.L.C. Replication . . . — Map (db m49665) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Historic Site Saloon Number 10
Historic Site Saloon Number 10 where Wild Bill was shot August 2, 1876 — Map (db m120092) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Historic South Dakota Civil Engineering Landmark
Black Hills Railroads The combination of steep grades, sharp curves, creek crossings, and tunnels required exceptional civil engineering to satisfy the need for railroads required by the Black Hills mining boom. Constructed 1881 to 1928 . . . — Map (db m120234) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Interurban Trolley
The Burlington Interurban Railway was part of a focused effort to modernize the City of Deadwood at the turn of the century. The town had transformed in a relatively short period of time from a lawless gold camp to a law abiding community and . . . — Map (db m121062) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — J.B.Hickok
Died Aug 2, 1876 by pistol Shot Aged 39 years Custer was lonely without him Erected by J. H. Riordan of N.Y. 1891 — Map (db m124055) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Jack McCall Capture Site
Site of capture of the assassin Jack McCall who shot "Wild Bill" Hickok Aug 2, 1876 — Map (db m120110) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — James Butler Hickok
Alias "Wild Bill" Born - May 27, 1837 Troy Grove, Illinois Died - August 2, 1876 Deadwood, Dakota Territory Victim of the Assassin Jack McCall — Map (db m45372) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Jewish American Pioneers and Deadwood
Jewish American pioneers significantly contributed to the commercial development and establishment of responsible government in Deadwood. Gritty Jewish Westerners, such as Sol Star, arrived with his business partner Seth Bullock in the midst of the . . . — Map (db m27071) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Lawrence County Jails & Capital Punishment
Since 1877, four county jails have been constructed within the Deadwood city limits. The first jail was erected in May of 1877 in the Ingleside Townsite (today's Presidential Neighborhood) and consisted of a 30 x 50 foot log structure enclosed by a . . . — Map (db m120998) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Martha Jane BurkeAlias "Calamity Jane"
Born - May 1, 1852 Princeton, Missouri Died - August 1, 1903 Terry, South Dakota Her Dying Request "Bury me beside Wild Bill" — Map (db m71412) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — McGovern Hill
Prospector Frank McGovern staked his claim on the hillside above you in 1876, then promptly became one of Deadwood's infamous rabble-rousers. After an argument with a grocer in 1878, McGovern was shot in the thighs. During his recovery in the . . . — Map (db m121058) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Preacher Smith of Deadwood Gulch
"Deadwood's Sky Pilot." Henry Weston Smith, was born in Ellington, Connecticut, January 110, 1828. At 23 he became a Methodist exhorter. This led to ordination in the Methodist Episcopal church and he served various communities in New England. In . . . — Map (db m45375) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — President Taft Comes to Deadwood
On October 21, 1911, U.S. President William Howard Taft delivered a 30 minute address from this location to a large crowd of spectators. President Taft's visit to Deadwood was one stop on a nationwide campaign tour across South Dakota and the . . . — Map (db m121000) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Radial Brick Smokestack
This brick structure before you served as the foundation base and cleanout chamber that supported the 135-foot smokestack. Once part of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad Powerhouse complex, this brick feature was created in 1901 and helped supply . . . — Map (db m121060) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Riches from Mud
Gold had to be removed from the ore (rock) brought out of the mine. Milling processes crushed the ore to the size of sand. Mercury, cyanide or heat then isolated the gold particles. Deadwood Gulch mill men used several methods, including . . . — Map (db m49650) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Ride High, T.C., Ride High
Travis Calvin Holloway began his career as a professional cowboy in the family's living room near Eagle Butte, South Dakota, where he rode his first bucking horse - his brother Chuck. When Chuck would no longer unseat his younger sibling, their . . . — Map (db m45360) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Saint Ambrose ParishFounded April 1877 — Oldest Parish in the Black Hills
First Mass celebrated May 20, 1877 by Father John Lonergan 1st church building erected on Williams St. This present building erected 1936 — Map (db m121004) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Second Deadwood Gold Discovery
Near this point in 1875 occurred the second of two initial gold discoveries in the Deadwood area. It was made by the Lardner party of eight prospectors, steered here by John B. Pearson, a man already familiar with Deadwood Gulch. Their "Discovery . . . — Map (db m34830) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Serving the Black Hills
Although Deadwood was in a mining district, it didn't remain a mining town. Instead, it became the service center for the Northern Black Hills. Regional residents came to Deadwood for their legal, financial, wholesale, retail and entertainment . . . — Map (db m36629) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — 12 — Sherman Street and the East Side
Deadwood developed along both sides of Whitewood Creek, forming the two main thoroughfares of Main and Sherman Street. In the 1880s the firms on Sherman tended to be small retail and service businesses. With the arrival of the railroads in the . . . — Map (db m49686) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Spanish-American War Memorial
The bronze cannon above you, serial number #9220, was cast on May 7, 1862 at the Royal Foundry of Seville, Spain. This cannon was one of six "Cañones rayados cortos de a 12 centímetros,” or short cannon of twelve . . . — Map (db m121199) HM WM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Spanish-American War Veterans Memorial
This Ten Inch Shell was Recovered from the Battleship U.S.S. Maine that was sunk in Havana Harbor, Cuba on February 15, 1898 and Presented to the City of Deadwood in May 1912. In Memory of the United States Sailors, . . . — Map (db m121200) WM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — The Badlands
The "badlands," the lower end of Main Street in front of you, earned its reputation through its saloons, brothels, theaters, gambling halls, and opium houses, which provided rowdy entertainment for the largely male population. Out of this district . . . — Map (db m36560) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — 10 — The Fire of 1879
In the early morning hours of September 26, 1879, fire broke out at a bakery on Sherman Street. The fire spread quickly to Jensen and Bliss’s Hardware where it met eight kegs of gunpowder. The subsequent explosion caused the fire to sweep quickly . . . — Map (db m49671) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — The Franklin’s Fine HomeDeadwood's Jewish American History
Harris Franklin, his wife Anna, and son Nathan arrived in Deadwood, Dakota Territory in 1877. A Jewish immigrant from humble beginnings, Harris Franklin earned his fortune through the wholesale liquor business and gradually diversified into cattle, . . . — Map (db m34144) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — 11 — The Great Flood
“Prepare for the worst!” the telephone call from upstream warned. About that time Whitewood Creek, swollen from spring snow and rain, broke over its banks within Deadwood, carving a path of destruction. The creek which now flows under . . . — Map (db m49672) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — The Presidential DistrictHistory Link: A Trail to Deadwood's Past
As South Deadwood expanded along Sherman Street in early 1876, log cabins and small frame houses appeared on the hillsides above the mining camp. A cemetery was quickly established on a hill deemed too far away from town to ever be developed. Soon . . . — Map (db m37097) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — The Presidential DistrictHistory Link: A Trail to Deadwood’s Past — Deadwood Historic Preservation Commission
As South Deadwood expanded along Sherman Street in early 1876, log cabins and small frame houses appeared on the hillsides above the mining camp. A cemetery was quickly established on a hill deemed too far away from town to ever be developed. Soon . . . — Map (db m49687) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — The Smokestack - Reconstructed
In 2016 the Deadwood Historical Commission hired a local mason with expertise in historic masonry to reconstruct this section of the 135" B & M Powerhouse smokestack using radial brick collected on site. This section has a 9'-3" outside radius and . . . — Map (db m121063) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Track or Trail: Sweat Equity Played a Role
It took about a thousand people just 255 days to build the 114-mile Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad between Edgemont and Deadwood using primitive methods. It took more than 15 years to complete the George S. Mickelson Trail on the . . . — Map (db m121056) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Upper Main Street
Although the uphill side of Deadwood's Main Street seems like a natural area for development, the neighborhood didn't get its start until the turn of the century, thanks largely to two factors: gunpowder and the stubbornness of Deadwood's first . . . — Map (db m120997) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Waite Block Annex1899 — 19 Deadwood Street
Architect O.C. Jewett built the Waite Block Annex as a two-story structure and immediately established his offices on the second floor. In 1901 The Wrought Iron Range Co. moved in to the first floor. A recessed entry between this building and the . . . — Map (db m49664) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Wild Bill
Scout for the Pioneers Scout for the Union Army Marshall for Hay City Dodge City and Abeline Killed in Deadwood August 2, 1876 Buried on Mount Moriah 300 feet above this spot Presented to the City of Deadwood By George R. . . . — Map (db m26251) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Wild Bill Hickok
James Butler Hickok Gunfighter, Peace Officer, Gambler Born: May 27, 1837, Troy Grove, Illinois Died: August 2, 1876, Deadwood, Dakota Territory Wild Bill Hickok was shot in the back while playing cards in a Deadwood saloon. He is . . . — Map (db m120094) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — 1912 Lead City Hall / Homestake General Offices
Lead's City Hall was located in this ornate building at 215 West Main Street from 1912 until 1938. The building originally housed the mayor's and treasurer's offices, the courtroom, jail, and judge's chambers. After construction of a new City Hall . . . — Map (db m121489) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Battery LocomotiveHomestake Mining District — Lead, South Dakota
Battery locomotives were the work horse of locomotives used in the Homestake Mine. Every operating level had at least one locomotive and up to 4 or 5 locomotives. These locomotives hauled ore trains, miners to the work area, mechanics and . . . — Map (db m121722) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Christ Episcopal Church and Grier Statue
Lead's Episcopal congregation selected a site for a new church in July of 1896 and work was begun immediately. The Lead Call noted, "A more central and easily accessible location could not have been decided upon and when finished, . . . — Map (db m121533) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — City Hall and Masonic Temple
Lead's earliest city hall was located in the old business district, an area that was eventually lost due to ground subsidence. A new City Hall had then been constructed in 1912 on the corner of Main and Siever Streets and served the community until . . . — Map (db m121499) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp F-18 Savoy: located 2 mi W on FH222 at Rod & Gun Camp Companies: 756 -- 5/2/34 -10/15/34; 792 -- 5/15/35 - 10/17/35; 792 -- October 1940 - July 1941; summer 1941? The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during . . . — Map (db m111548) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Commonwealth Mine Stamp Mill
In the early days of mining stamp mills were used to crush the ore prior to gold recovery. A stamp mill is a very simple machine. The flywheel builds momentum to turn the cam. The cam lifts the stamps and then gravity drops them back down at a rate . . . — Map (db m121493) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Compressed Air Locomotive #9Homestake Mining District — Lead, South Dakota
Homestake Mining Company Locomotive Number 9 was purchased in 1907 from the H.K. Porter Company of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. The H.K. Porter number for this locomotive was 3847. This locomotive is powered by compressed air. The capacity of the . . . — Map (db m121593) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Dakota Rebekah Lodge
Dakota Rebekah Lodge No. 1 First Rebekah Lodge chartered in Dakota Territory Jan 17, 1883 Lead South Dakota — Map (db m123976) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Halloran Block
The Halloran Block was designed by City of Lead Architect J. A. Archibald and was completed for James Halloran in December, 1897. Mr. Halloran originally came to the Black Hills with the Custer Expedition of 1874. James Halloran was a prime mover in . . . — Map (db m121495) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Homestake Air Locomotive Number 35
Locomotive Number 35 was purchased in April, 1931 from the H.K. Porter Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This locomotive was in service on the Homestake Tramway hauling ore from the Homestake shafts to the Homestake mills. This locomotive is . . . — Map (db m121492) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Homestake Gas-Powered Locomotive
This gas-powered locomotive was operated as a tramway locomotive, hauling ore in the Trojan Mining District, west of Lead. The mines serviced by this locomotive were the Clinton, the Two Johns, and the Trojan. The ore from these mines was hauled to . . . — Map (db m121506) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Homestake Hospital Site
Medical services at the Homestake Mining Company, one of the pioneers in the United States in the field of industrial health services, first began in 1877, when the company contracted with Dr. D. K. Dickinson to furnish medical and surgical . . . — Map (db m121497) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Homestake One Ton, End Dump Ore Car
The one-ton ore cars were prevalent throughout the mining industry in the early Twentieth Century. These ore cars were small enough to be used in the smallest tunnels to haul rock from the production face to a dump point. Some dump points were over . . . — Map (db m121494) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Homestake Open Cut Mine
This is Homestake's Open Cut Mine, one of the best known landmarks in the Black Hills. It is the site of the original discovery in 1876 of the Homestake claim, named for "making a man rich enough to make his home stake (enough money to return home . . . — Map (db m34673) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Homestake Slag Buggy
Slag buggies, cast at the Homestake Foundry, were used in two different processes at the Homestake Refinery. One process was receiving slag produced in the blast furnace process. The Homestake blast furnace process utilized a coke-fired furnace to . . . — Map (db m121498) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Man CarHomestake Mine — Lead, South Dakota
This man car was used by the Homestake Mining Company to transport men and equipment from the shafts to the mining areas. This man car has 18" gauge trucks (distance between wheels) that were used in the upper levels of the Homestake Mine. In . . . — Map (db m121598) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Man Car / AmbulanceHoly Terror Mine, Keystone Mining District — Keystone, South Dakota
A man car is used in underground mining operations to transport miners to and from shafts to underground mining locations, traveling on a railroad. These man cars usually held eight miners, packed tightly with their equipment, tools and lunch pails. . . . — Map (db m121594) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Ore CarsBald Mountain Mine — Lead, South Dakota
The Bald Mountain district, which includes the Portland area, is 3½ miles southwest of the Lead district. Claims were located in the Portland area in 1877, but early mining was handicapped by the highly refractory (difficulty) nature of the . . . — Map (db m121597) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Overshot MuckerTrojan Mining Company — Lead, South Dakota
The overshot mucker was a rail-mounted, rock excavation machine, operated by compressed air. This mucker was used to scoop up blasted, broken rock and throw it overhead into an ore car positioned behind the mucker. As the mucker advanced the mining . . . — Map (db m121585) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Pneumatic Rock Drill(Jackleg Drill)
The pneumatic rock drill, also called a jackleg drill, was the most versatile rock drill used at the Homestake Mine and mines worldwide. This drill was used to drill holes that were then loaded with explosives for blasting and to drill holes that . . . — Map (db m121595) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Ray Davis and the Homestake Experiment
This "ring" is a surviving section of the 100,000-gallon cylindrical tank that Dr. Ray Davis installed at Homestake Mine's 4850 Level in 1965. For three decades, his neutrino experiment at Homestake opened up new windows into the workings of . . . — Map (db m113150) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Spargo Hoist & Sinking BucketHomestake Mining Company — Lead, South Dakota
The Spargo Hoist was developed by a Homestake Mining Company engineer. This small, pneumatically operated hoist was used in many applications in the underground Homestake Mine. One of the uses was a sinking hoist; used by mining crews to mine a . . . — Map (db m121584) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Sweatman Art Memorial / Finnish Lutheran Church
This former Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church was built in 1889 by John Neimi and John Saari, and was located on Lot 11 East Main Street. It is significant as the only remaining institutional building which marks the history of the Finns in . . . — Map (db m121532) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — The First National (Norwest) Bank
Lead's first bank was founded in 1879 under the name of Samuel Wood & Co. and was later renamed Thum, Lake & Co. It became a state bank in 1883 under the name of the Lead City Bank, a name which was changed to the First National Bank in 1891, and . . . — Map (db m121484) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — The Glover House
The Glover House at 11 Glendale Drive, was built in 1899 as a Christmas gift from Mary Baker Eddy, founder of the Christian Science Church, to her son George Washington Glover II. At the time of construction, the site was located outside of the city . . . — Map (db m121481) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — The Homestake Gold Mine and Open Cut
The Homestake lode, the basis for the great Homestake Mining Company, was discovered by Moses Manuel, who, with his brother Fred, had come to the Black Hills in 1875. The two brothers, along with Hank Harney, officially located the claim on April 9, . . . — Map (db m34714) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — The Homestake Opera House & Recreation Building
Built between 1912-1914 by the Homestake Mining Company, this $250,000 facility included not only a beautiful modern opera house with a seating capacity of over 1,000, but also a bowling alley, swimming pool, library, social rooms, and billiard and . . . — Map (db m121500) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — The Open Cut
The Open Cut was once a solid mountain on which Fred and Moses Manuel with Hank Harney located the original Homestake claim on April 9, 1876. It is estimated that up to 14 different mining companies removed 48 million tons of ore and waste from . . . — Map (db m34674) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Thomas Johnston Grier
. . . — Map (db m120088) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — United States Post Office
Lead's Post Office, which had been located in the Hearst Mercantile Building on North Mill Street since 1897, moved into this imposing structure in 1912. Congress had appropriated money for the new post office several years earlier, but . . . — Map (db m120056) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Pluma — Cheyenne & Deadwood Stage Route
From 1876 to 1887, the Cheyenne and Deadwood Stage Route connected the Union Pacific Railroad with the gold mining regions in the Black Hills of Dakota Territory. A portion of this route once passed the location before you. In its heyday, this route . . . — Map (db m121086) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Pluma — Flooding & The Railroads
After the inception of Deadwood's railroad system in 1890, rising flood waters and washouts became an ever growing threat to the mining camps in the northern Black Hills. Three significant washouts, caused by spring flooding, occurred at this . . . — Map (db m121093) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Pluma — George S. Mickelson Trail
South Dakota's George S. Mickelson Trail is a 109 mile, multiuse recreational trail that runs through the heart of the Black Hills. The Mickelson Trail is one of the United States premier "Rails to Trails" projects that began in 1983 after the . . . — Map (db m121089) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Pluma — Good Roads Movement & Lawrence County
The national Good Roads Movement was a coordinated effort to improve roadways across the United States. The automobile helped define roadways, sometimes referred to as "auto trails". In 1912, the "Black and Yellow Trail", more specifically the . . . — Map (db m121095) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Pluma — Pluma: Right Place, Right Time
In 1895, the Lead Evening Call newspaper described the small community of Pluma, strategically placed between Deadwood and Lead, as ”One of the most thriving places around”. Soon after, Deadwood began marketing itself as the . . . — Map (db m121100) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Pluma — Pluma's Power Plants
Belt City Light and Power Company, 1893 – 1905 In 1893, the Belt Light and Power Company of Lead built a 30 x 92 foot brick and stone power station in this vicinity. The plant boasted a Brush Alternating System consisting of two 1500 kW . . . — Map (db m121099) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Spearfish — Spearfish Canyon Flora and FaunaA View from the Wild Side
Northern red horse suckers and dace were the only species of fish present in Spearfish Creek during an early 1875 exploration of the Black Hills. Trout are not indigenous to the Black Hills but were introduced from Colorado in the late 1800s. . . . — Map (db m124103) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Spearfish — Spearfish Canyon Through TimeBridal Veil Falls
"But how it is that I've heard so little of this miracle and we, toward the Atlantic, have heard so much of the Grand Canyon when this is even more miraculous? All the better eventually… (that the Dakotas are not on the through line to the . . . — Map (db m124130) HM

93 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.