Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Williamson County Tennessee Historical Markers

262 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 62
 
Arrington Marker image, Touch for more information
By Karen Emerson-McPeak, December 1, 2017
Arrington Marker
Tennessee (Williamson County), Arrington — Arrington
The early settlement of “Petersburg” was granted a post office in 1858. At that time, the village’s name was changed to Arrington for the nearby creek. Among the early families were Buchanan, Couch, Crockett, Duff, King, Morris, . . . — Map (db m112079) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Arrington — Kings’ Chapel Cemetery / Major William Edmondson
Kings’ Chapel Cemetery This sacred burial ground of 48 poles by 100 poles was donated by Major William Edmondson to the trustees of Kings’ Chapel, as mentioned in a deed of 1843 between Robert and Thomas Edmondson to William King. Though the . . . — Map (db m112080) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Arrington — Ozburn Hollow
Robert Ozburn was born in 1755 in York County, PA, where his family settled after emigrating from Scotland. The family moved to Mecklenburg, NC, where he enlisted in the NC Militia and served in several companies during the Revolutionary War . . . — Map (db m149869) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Arrington — Triune
This village dates from about 1800 and was first called Hardeman Cross Roads. After 1849 it took the name of the Methodist Church and became known as Triune. Prior to the Civil War, Triune was a flourshing center of commerce and agriculture. Known . . . — Map (db m32798) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Arrington — Triune Cemetery
Buried here are the following 48 Confederate veterans who have been identified: J.S.C. Bain, T.M.Baker, I.J. Battle, Dr. T.J.Bennett, J.C. Bostick, M.H. Bostick, T.H.Caldwell, J.W. Carroll, Thomas Chambers, W.R. Cherry, Dr. J.G.Cook, W.W.Crockett, . . . — Map (db m32813) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Arrington — Triune United Methodist Church
The Triune United Methodist Church's origin goes back to King's Chapel, organized ca. 1815 a mile west. A brick building was built here in 1849 on the then-new highway. The Church was named Triune and the village, previously known as Hardeman Cross . . . — Map (db m83166) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Arrington — Wilson Creek Primitive Baptist Church
This church was organized on October 13, 1804 with forty-six members including fourteen African-Americans. Early families to worship here were Clayton, Davis, Fleming, Hill, Hyde, Jordon, McKnight, McFadden, and Pate. The site was donated by John D. . . . — Map (db m112078) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Brentwood — Beechville
Samuel McCutchen, Charles Brown, and Samuel Edmiston settled here before 1800. Thomas W. Stockett, who built a mill on Little Harpeth River, came by 1802. Near the intersection of Beech Creek Road and the Nashville-Hillsboro Turnpike were various . . . — Map (db m149816) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Brentwood — Brentwood United Methodist Church
Founded in 1851, the Brentwood United Methodist Church was located on Frierson Street. The building was destroyed by a storm in 1884, and the church was moved to Church Street onto land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Hugh C. Moore. That building was . . . — Map (db m146424) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Brentwood — Cool Springs House
The two-story log part of this house was built ca. 1830's by James Carothers. His son, Dr. Robert Blake Carothers, added the frame addition in the 1870's. Originally located on Mallory Road, it was moved to this site by the City of Brentwood in 1993 . . . — Map (db m149861) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Brentwood — 3 A 4 — Davidson County / Williamson County
Davidson County Established 1783; named in honor of Brig. Gen. William Lee Davidson of North Carolina. Distinguished officer in the Revolutionary War. Served with the Army at Valley Forge. Fought at the Battle of King's Mountain. Killed in . . . — Map (db m149818) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Brentwood — Forge Seat
Forge Seat was built in 1808 by Samuel Crockett III, one of a large family of Crocketts who settled on extensive tracts of land in this area during the late 1700's. The house took its name from an iron forge on the property where Crockett and his . . . — Map (db m54042) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Brentwood — 3D 58 — Forrest's Brentwood Raid
With two brigades of Cavalry in a widely separated encircling or "Pincer" maneuver on the night of March 24, 1863, Brig. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest raided deep behind Federal lines. He completely captured the Federal garrison of 785 officers and . . . — Map (db m149824) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Brentwood — Green Hill
This Revolutionary War officer and Methodist leader settled and built his home here in 1799. He was influential in establishing Methodism on the Tennessee frontier and founded the Liberty Methodist Church one mile east. The Western Conference of . . . — Map (db m149864) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Brentwood — Green Hill Shrine
Green Hill (Nov. 3, 1741-Sept. 11, 1826) moved from North Carolina to the large plantation of which this is a center in 1799. Hill was a Revolutionary War Colonel, generous philanthropist, and a Methodist preacher for over 50 years. On Oct. 1-7, . . . — Map (db m149862) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Brentwood — 3D 23 — Harpeth Church
This church is built on ground donated by Samuel McCutchen, a Revolutionary War veteran who received it as part of a land grant. O. B. Hayes served as the first pastor: David Bell and Robert McCutchen were elders, and James McCutcheon was . . . — Map (db m149817) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Brentwood — Lipscomb Elementary School
The school was founded as a private academy in the 1860's by Professor William Lipscomb, brother of David Lipscomb, founder of David Lipscomb University. Students were attracted to the school from the local area as well as from other parts of the . . . — Map (db m145738) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Brentwood — Midway Plantation Slave Cemetery
A short distance east of this marker is the site of the Midway Plantation slave cemetery which holds the remains of many of the African Americans who labored on the 1,000 acre plantation in the bonds of slavery during the mid-nineteenth century. By . . . — Map (db m149826) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Brentwood — WSM Broadcasting Transmitter & Antenna
This station began operation October 5, 1932, the anniversary of WSM's founding in 1925 by the National Life and Accident Insurance Company of Nashville. WSM-AM operates on a clear channel frequency of 650 kilohertz with power of 50,000 watts. It . . . — Map (db m145744) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Burwood — Burwood
Side A Originally named Williamsburg, later Shaw, the village's name was changed to Burwood, a title taken from Mrs. Humphrey Ward's novel, "Robert Elsmere." Rev. John Pope, a Revolutionary War veteran, built his home, Eastview, here in . . . — Map (db m98515) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), College Grove — College Grove, Tennessee
Once called Harpeth, then Poplar Grove, this area was settled about 1800 by the Allison, Cannon, Ogilvie and Wilson families. Home to Congressman Meredith Gentry and William Demonbreun, son of pioneer Timothy Demonbreun, the town's name was changed . . . — Map (db m149762) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), College Grove — Cross Keys
Laban Hartley, Jr. built a stone house here ca. 1818 and operated a tavern for which this community was named. Mt. Pisgah, located 1/2 mile southwest, was used as a reference point when surveyors created the 1783 Military Reservation line, which . . . — Map (db m149768) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), College Grove — 3D 28 — Newton Cannon
0.7 mile. The grave of this combat veteran and statesman is on the land to which his father, a Revolutionary veteran, brought his family from North Carolina in 1791. In addition to his distinguished military record, he was twice a member of Congress . . . — Map (db m83167) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), College Grove — Ogilvie Farm
This property was settled by William and Mary Harris Ogilvie, who came to this area via ox wagons from Granville County, N.C. during the late 1790s. Their nine children - Harris, Sarah, Smith, Kimbrough, John, William, Patty, Richard, and Nancy - . . . — Map (db m149764) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), College Grove — The Cove
Shadowed on the southwest by Pull-Tight Hill and bisected by Arno Road, the Cove was home to the Biggers, Bizzell, Clendenin, Connell, Crafton, Creswell, Farrar, Graham, Ladd, Rickman, Simmons, Skinner, Watson, White, and Wilson families. On May 10, . . . — Map (db m149766) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 52 — "The Harrison House"
The Civil War touched this house. Here, Sept. 2, 1864, the mortally wounded Brig. Gen. John H. Kelly, CSA, was brought here after the affair between his cavalry division and Federals under Brig. Gen. James D. Brownlow. He was buried in the garden, . . . — Map (db m136181) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 125th O.V.I."Opdycke's Tigers" — 1st Brigade 2nd Division 4th Corps U.S. —
The 125th O.V.I. was formed at Camp Cleveland, Ohio in August of 1862. The regiment was stationed in Franklin in the spring of 1863. On November 30, 1864, the 125th were in reserve 150 yards north of the Carter house with Opdycke’s brigade. Without . . . — Map (db m135349) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 183rd Ohio Volunteer InfantryThird Brigade — 2nd Division 23rd Corps U.S. —
The 183rd Ohio was mustered into Federal Service November 13, 1864 at Camp Dennison, Ohio. With 700 officers and enlisted men present, it arrived at Rutherford Creek on November 28th and was engaged in skirmishing at Spring Creek the following day. . . . — Map (db m135441) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3" Ordinance Gun
Made and presented to Confederate Memorial Park by Harold Winstead in honor of his ancestor, Samuel Winstead, in whose honor this hill was named and who is buried 200 yds. NW of this location. — Map (db m137246) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 320 Main Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m140626) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 403-405 Main Street
These buildings have been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m140808) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 430 Main Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m69504) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 432-438 Main Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m69505) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 44th Missouri Infantry
This regiment was organized in the late summer and early fall of 1864. It was commanded by Col. Robert C. Bradshaw, a veteran officer who had seen prior action at Lexington and Shiloh. The 44th Missouri was shipped to Tennessee to help defend . . . — Map (db m138573) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — A Crucial War Zone 1863
For the Union, 1863 brought the Emancipation Proclamation, victory at Gettysburg, and the capturing of the Mississippi River. Federal forces continued their drive toward Atlanta in hopes of ending the war altogether. But on March 5th, seven miles . . . — Map (db m103335) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — A Dream PostponedThe Struggle of Freed People in Williamson County
To assist the newly freed with court cases, education, and housing, Congress formed the Freedmen’s Bureau in 1865. An additional goal of the Bureau was to help create labor contracts between white landowners and the formerly enslaved. In October . . . — Map (db m103487) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Abram Maury
Abram Maury (1766-1825) came to this area from Virginia in 1797 to settle on 640 acres he purchased from Major Anthony Sharpe. In 1798, he reserved a square-shaped area of 109 acres for a town he intended to name Marthasville for his wife. Instead, . . . — Map (db m50694) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Advancing With Scott's BrigadeFollowing in Their Footsteps
(preface) This walkway traces the route that the men of Confederate Gen. Thomas M. Scott’s brigade took in the Battle of Franklin. Read below to see what it was like then and to follow in their footsteps Distance to Union Lines: 1,200 . . . — Map (db m103665) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Advancing With Scott's BrigadeFollowing in Their Footsteps
(preface) This walkway traces the route that the men of Confederate Gen. Thomas M. Scott’s brigade took in the Battle of Franklin. Read below to see what it was like then and to follow in their footsteps Distance to Union Lines: 1,500 . . . — Map (db m103667) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Advancing With Scott's BrigadeFollowing in Their Footsteps
(preface) This walkway traces the route that the men of Confederate Gen. Thomas Scott’s brigade took in the Battle of Franklin. Read below to see what it was like then and to follow in their footsteps Distance to Union Main Line: 1,000 . . . — Map (db m105086) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — African-American Schools in Franklin / African-American Schools in Williamson County
African-American Schools in Franklin From 1888 until 1967, African-American students were educated on this site. First known as Claiborne Institute in honor of Prof. Willis Claiborne (1862-1892), later schools here were known as Franklin . . . — Map (db m149647) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — AlabamaWe Dare Defend Our Rights
In memory of the men of Alabama who bravely fought and died at the Battle of Franklin and Nashville Alabama Infantry Regiments 1st 10th 16th 17th 18th 19th 20th 22nd 23rd 24th 25th 26th 27th 28th 29th 30th 31st 32nd 33rd 34th 35th . . . — Map (db m147004) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Allen Manufacturing Company
This complex of ten depression-era buildings, with a total of 310,000 square feet, housed four different factories over its industrial lifetime. The buildings were built for the Allen Manufacturing Co. (stove manufacturers) in 1929. More than . . . — Map (db m69023) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Andrew Jackson
On his return from New Orleans Andrew Jackson gave a brass cannon to Franklin A part of his soldiery camped here on their way to New Orleans. — Map (db m61730) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Arkansas
(front) The Battle of Franklin was the most tragic chapter of the Army of Tennessee. These were battle-hardened veterans. They knew the enemy they faced and the strength of their defenses. Honor, Valor, Patriotism, Devotion to Duty, and . . . — Map (db m148704) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Attack on the Union LeftInto a Withering Fire — Hood's Campaign —
(preface) In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman’s supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman’s “March to the . . . — Map (db m70660) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Attack On The Union Left / Lot No. 1 in the Plan of Carnton
(obverse) Attack On The Union Left Confederate Regiments from Brig. Gen. Thomas Scott's, Brig. Gen. John Adams', and Brig. Gen. Winfield Featherstons's Brigades of Maj. Gen. William Loring's Division advanced under artillery fire . . . — Map (db m40107) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Bate's DivisionCheatham’s Corps — Army of Tennessee C.S.A. —
Maj. Gen. Wm. B. Bate’s division consisted of Smith’s Tennessee-Georgia, Bullock’s Florida and Jackson’s Georgia brigades. The division, struck the main line west of Brown’s Division, their right in the locust grove and their left at the Carter’s . . . — Map (db m137252) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 49 — Battle Ground Academy
Founded in 1889 as Battle Ground Academy, named for its location where the Battle of Franklin occurred in 1864, and dedicated in an address by Confederate General William B. Bate, later governor and U.S. Senator, this boys' preparatory school was . . . — Map (db m62329) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle Ground Academy
Front: Founded in 1889 as Battle Ground Academy, the first campus was located on the foundation of the Carter Cotton Gin on Cleburne Street, the epicenter of the Battle of Franklin in 1864. BGA, founded on the principles of Character, . . . — Map (db m146536) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of FranklinArtillery Hellfire
Several Federal gun crews delivered relentless fire to this portion of the Franklin battlefield late in the afternoon of November 30, 1864. At least fourteen of the Union’s thirty-six fieldpieces engaged at Franklin could hit the Eastern flank here. . . . — Map (db m103508) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of FranklinInto the Twilight
Visibility was always a critical factor in Civil War battles. Officers and enlisted men needed clear lines of sight to know where to move, when to stay in place, and in which direction to shoot. At the Battle of Franklin, two important factors . . . — Map (db m103685) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of FranklinThe Landscape Shapes the Battle
During the Civil War, topography played a major role in shaping events. The Battle of Franklin was a prime example. When Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood’s 20,000 men charged across these fields, the steep hills to their left and the angling . . . — Map (db m103686) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin
(Left Panel) Here occurred one of the most desperately fought battles of the entire War Between The States between forces (flag) under Maj. Gen. John M. Schofield, and the attacking (flag) Army of Tennessee under Gen. John B. Hood. . . . — Map (db m138333) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of FranklinNov. 30, 1864
2nd & 3rd Brigades 2nd Div. IV Army Corps Advanced Union rifle pits dug on ridge to the south — Map (db m146530) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, AftermathUnion POWs and the Sultana Disaster
More than 700 Union soldiers were made prisoners before, during, and after the Battle of Franklin. Although the war was almost over, many of them would never see their homes again. The vast majority were taken to prison camps in Cahaba, Alabama, and . . . — Map (db m103505) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankCarnton
Today’s Carnton presents a quiet pastoral setting, but before the Civil War, John and Carrie McGavock’s farm would have looked more like a bustling agricultural factory. Their plantation encompassed 700 acres, more than three times the amount . . . — Map (db m103441) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankCarnton Becomes a Hospital
Confederate Gen. Willaim Loring’s division marched across the McGavock plantation during the battle. Anticipating heavy casualties, his officers chose Carnton for a hospital. The main house was a sound choice. Less than a mile (.6 km) from . . . — Map (db m103442) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankRecruiting For War
On September 28, 1861, local men sympathetic to the Confederacy gathered in this field to form the Williamson County Cavalry (Co. F, 4th Tennessee Cavalry). The local newspaper pronounced the company composed of “about 100 of the finest . . . — Map (db m103480) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankLoring's Division
In the Battle of Franklin, Confederate Gen. William W. Loring’s division formed the far right flank of the Confederate assault line. Numbering approximately 3,500 men, it marched across these fields and smashed into the Federal lines. The attempt to . . . — Map (db m103482) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankCasualties in Perspective
How costly was the Battle of Franklin? More Americans became casualties in this five-hour battle than were lost in the first twenty-four hours of the Invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1944, the largest amphibious assault in history. In both . . . — Map (db m103484) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankDistances to Local & State Landmarks
(map panels) (left) Distances to Local Landmarks (right) Distances to Major Landmarks — Map (db m103509) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankNashville & Decatur Railroad
About 600 yards (550 meters) in front of you is the Nashville & Decatur Railroad. During the war, this line was only a few years old, but it was the most direct north-south transportation route through Middle Tennessee. Consequently, it was one . . . — Map (db m103635) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankThe Average Soldier
Whether in the Union or Confederate ranks, the typical Civil War soldier at Franklin came from a rural world. More than likely, he lived in the countryside or in a town about the size of Franklin, which had a population of about 750 at the time. . . . — Map (db m103636) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankShells from Fort Granger
About one mile (1.6 km) directly north of you stands Fort Granger, a large earthen fortification that provided the Union army a commanding view over much of this area. Built in the spring of 1863, Fort Granger sat on top of Figuers’ Bluff . . . — Map (db m103637) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankLewisburg Pike Toll House
Road construction boomed in Tennessee during the mid-1800s, and the Nashville area was the state’s primary highway hub. Private companies built most of the roads, and they placed tollhouses along the routes to collect fees to cover costs and create . . . — Map (db m103666) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankMcGavock Slaves and the Civil War
Of Tennessee’s 83 counties in 1860, only in three did slaves outnumber whites. Two were near the Mississippi Rover, where large plantations flourished. The third was Williamson County. The McGavocks of Carnton, who owned 39 people in 1860, were . . . — Map (db m103687) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Battle of Franklin, Eastern FlankMcGavock Gristmill and Sawmill
During the battle, Confederate forces charged a gristmill and sawmill that stood directly in front of you on the Lewisburg Pike. In antebellum Middle Tennessee, tobacco grew well in the north, while cotton blossomed in the south. Corn, wheat, and . . . — Map (db m103960) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Beasley Town / Bate's Division on the Western Flank
Beasley Town In 1899, W.J. Beasley and family came from Lick Creek to Franklin to establish a home and lumber mill. By 1920, Beasley was paying taxes on his home, sawmill and 24 rental houses valued at over $10,000 in total. Originally, the . . . — Map (db m149782) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Becoming the Front Line 1862
"Throughout 1862 first one army would be encamped in town, then the Federals. Raids were frequent, then we would run down in our cellar to get out of the range of the bullets. Sometimes we would spend a whole night there. The quiet would go on for . . . — Map (db m103333) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Boyd's Mill
Boyd's Mill was once the center of the costal and economic life of the Bingham community. Today, only the stone foundations give evidence to its position on the West Harpeth River. Originally built by Hendley Stone in 1809, sequent owners and . . . — Map (db m150386) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Brigadier General Hiram B. GranburyConfederate States of America — Commander, Texas Brigade, Army of Tennessee —
(front) Born: March 1, 1831 Died: On this field, November 30, 1864 A moment before he fell, he urged his Texans on: “Forward, men, forward! Never let it be said that Texans lag in a fight!” They never did, and neither . . . — Map (db m138119) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Brigadier's Walk
The sense of pride, honor and integrity of the everyday fighting man of the Army of Tennessee made the brilliant careers of these five Brigadier Generals possible. Largely non-slave owning, these brave men of the Army of Tennessee followed Adams, . . . — Map (db m135827) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Brown's DivisionArmy of Tennessee — C.S.A. —
This division, commanded by Major General John C. Brown, consisted or Gordon’s, Strahl’s and Carter’s Tennessee Brigades, and Gist’s South Carolina and Georgia Brigade. They were engaged south and west of the Carter House to the locust grove. Around . . . — Map (db m137251) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Captain Theodrick (Tod) Carter20th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Smith’s Brigade — Bate’s Division, Cheatham’s Corps, Army of Tennessee C.S.A. —
Born at the Carter House March 24, 1840 and educated at the Harpeth Academy. He was an attorney-at-law and a Master Mason. Tod enlisted in Co. H, 20th Tenn. Inf. May 1, 1862. Appointed Assistant Quarter Master on Oct. 24, 1862 and served as a war . . . — Map (db m137299) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — CarntonSlavery and the Enslaved
The first enslaved African Americans were brought to Carnton in the nineteenth century. In 1820, eleven slaves lived here. By 1860, forty-four enslaved men, women and children labored on the six-hundred-acre farm. They lived in eleven cabins, most . . . — Map (db m142923) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — CarntonA Final Place of Rest
In this part of the McGavock family cemetery are buried some of the people who were once enslaved here, former slaves, and perhaps African-Americans who labored at Carnton in the decades following the Civil War. These individuals are an integrated . . . — Map (db m142939) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Carnton PlantationBattle of Franklin
Carnton was built ca. 1815 by Randal McGavock (1768-1843), planter, political leader and mayor of Nashville. Named after the McGavock home in Northern Ireland, the house was greatly enlarged by Randal ca.1826. His son, John, later added the Greek . . . — Map (db m62916) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Carnton PlantationCaught in the Middle — Hood's Campaign —
Preface: In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman’s supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman’s “March to . . . — Map (db m135448) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Carothers Family
Robert Carothers, Sr., a Revolutionary War soldier, and his family came to Tennessee from North Carolina in 1791 and were living in Williamson County in 1799. His son James, a War of 1812 veteran, became a prosperous landowner well-known for his . . . — Map (db m149859) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Carter Gin House
The Carter cotton gin house, the scene of some of the bloodiest fighting of the Battle of Franklin, was located about 80 yards east of Columbia Pike. General Adams, Cleburne and Granbury were killed near here. The gin house, a weatherboarded, frame . . . — Map (db m146527) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 34 — Carter House»—→
Built 1830 by Fountain Branch Carter, and in use by three generations of his family. Here was command post of Maj. Gen. Jacob D. Cox, Federal field commander of Schofield's delaying action. The hottest fighting took place just east and south nearby, . . . — Map (db m40114) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Carter's Cotton GinBloody Ground — Hood's Campaign —
(Preface): In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood let the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman's supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman's "March to . . . — Map (db m137247) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Charles C. Johnson School
Johnson Elementary School was dedicated on November 30, 1958, being named for Dr. Charles C. Johnson (1886-1966), a prominent local African American physician. Mr. James R. Watkins (1914-1996), Johnson’s first principal, led the school through the . . . — Map (db m141186) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Chestnut Blight
Chestnut Blight Strikes! First identified in 1904 in New York’s Bronx Zoological Park, the chestnut blight is caused by an Asiatic fungus (Cryphonectria parasitica) and is almost always lethal to the American chestnut. Moving through the . . . — Map (db m143852) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 57 — Chickasaw Treaty Council
In the spring of 1830 Congress passed the Indian Removal Act providing the President with means to exchange the lands of the five civilized Indian nations of the Southeast for lands west of the Mississippi. On August 20, 1830 Andrew Jackson met in . . . — Map (db m61729) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — City Cemetery
The two-acre city cemetery was deeded by Joel Parrish in 1811 to the town commissioners for $100. Among the early settlers buried here are Ewan Cameron who built Franklin’s first house, and Thomas Stuart, who served as judge of the Fourth Circuit . . . — Map (db m141592) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Civil War FranklinWomen's Experience
According to a Nashville newspaper, by 1863 the ravages of war had made once-prosperous Franklin "but the ruin of its former greatness. Desolation and decay have passed over it." The Union occupation in the spring of 1863 was followed by a . . . — Map (db m120382) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Civil War FranklinThe African-American Experience
In 1860, African-Americans — both enslaved and free — made up more than half of Franklin's residents, as well as half of Williamson County's population. When the Federal army arrived late in 1862, many slaves freed themselves by . . . — Map (db m120385) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Cleburne’s DivisionArmy of Tennessee — C.S.A. —
This division was commanded by Major General Patrick R. Cleburne, and consisted of Granbury’s Texas Brigade, Govan’s Arkansas Brigade, and Lowry’s Alabama and Mississippi Brigade. They were engaged around the Cotton Gin, which stood S.E. of the . . . — Map (db m135355) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Cockrell's Missouri Brigade CSA
On this field of honor Missouri men of Cockrell’s Brigade fought and died for Southern independence November 30, 1864 Franklin, Tennessee Presented by Missourians of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and his friends in memory of . . . — Map (db m135824) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 45 — Confederate Cemetery<-- 0.7 miles
Following the Battle of Franklin, Nov. 30, 1864, John McGavock, owner of “Carnton,” collected and buried here the bodies of 1496 Confederates. The five general officers killed there were interred elsewhere after being brought to the . . . — Map (db m83173) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Confederate Reunions at McGavock's Grove
Years after the Civil War ended, veterans slowly began to form reunions. Among the most common gathering sites were cemeteries, where survivors paid homage to their fallen comrades. The McGavock Confederate Cemetery was one such meeting place. . . . — Map (db m103488) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Courthouse
Williamson County's first courthouses, one log, one brick, were in the center of the square. This the third, completed in 1858 under the supervision of John W. Miller, is one of seven antebellum courthouses in Tennessee. The four iron columns were . . . — Map (db m61696) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Dan German Hospital(1938-1958)
Dr. Dan German (1875-1942) purchased the S.S. and Betty House home in 1937 and immediately began remodeling the mid-nineteenth century residence into a clinic, veneering the exterior with fieldstone. The Review Appeal best described the . . . — Map (db m149352) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — DeGraffenreid Cemetery
Buried here is one of Franklin's first settlers, Metcalfe DeGraffenreid (1760-1803), a Lunenburg County, Virginia native. Three of his sons, Abram, Metcalfe, Jr., and Matthew Fontaine, were veterans of the War of 1812. One of them, Metcalfe, Jr. is . . . — Map (db m149650) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Eastern Flank Battlefield ParkMeadow Restoration — Balancing Community and Nature —
Since the beginning, Agriculture (sic) has played an important role in the development of Franklin and Williamson County. The McGavick family and Carnton Plantation certainly share in that history. In the past, the fields before you have produced . . . — Map (db m146808) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Edward Swanson(1759-1840)
Edward Swanson laid the foundation for a cabin one mile west prior to March 1780. This was the earliest known attempted white settlement in Williamson County. Swanson was one of eight men who came to the French Lick with James Robertson early in . . . — Map (db m126981) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Epic Struggle in the Carter Garden
Prior to the Civil War, this area was part of a roughly two acre tract used by the Carter family as a garden. Potatoes, okra, raspberries, apples, and peaches were just a few of the crops grown here. On November 30, 1864, the garden was destroyed . . . — Map (db m138686) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Epicenter of the Battle of FranklinThe Carter House — Hood's Campaign —
(Preface): In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northeast against Sherman's supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman's "March to . . . — Map (db m136409) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Ewen Cameron
On this site in 1798 Ewen Cameron built the first house in the town of Franklin. Cameron was born Feb. 23, 1768 in Balgalkan, Ferintosh, Scotland. He emigrated to Virginia in 1785 and from there came to Tennessee. Cameron died Feb. 28, 1846, having . . . — Map (db m61692) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Ewingville / Alexander Ewing
Ewingville The local newspaper reported in 1875 that Ewingville "is to Franklin what West End is to London; what Brooklyn is to New York; what Edgefield is to Nashville." Ewingville begins on the east bank of the Harpeth River and extends on . . . — Map (db m149068) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Federal BreastworksBattle of Franklin
The breastworks, thirty yards south, were held by Grose’s Brigade, Kimball’s Division of the Fourth U.S. Army Corps on Nov. 30, 1864. Around 5 p.m., the brigade was attacked by two regiments of Finley’s Florida Brigade, C.S.A. The Floridians . . . — Map (db m135394) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Federal Forward Line
On November 30, 1864, Col. Joseph Conrad's and Col. John Lane's brigades of Brig. Gen. George D. Wagner's Federal Second Division, Fourth Corps, were placed east and west of the road near this position one half mile south of the Federal main line. . . . — Map (db m146531) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Field HospitalsCaring for the Wounded — Hood's Campaign —
Preface:In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman's supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman's "March to the . . . — Map (db m137255) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fifth Third Bank
This building was built in the late 1870’s or early 1880’s. In 1888, it housed the agricultural implements repository but in 1893, it was a boarding house. In 1903, Marshall Neely operated a hotel here (sic) it was purchased in 1908 by a Mr. Mays. . . . — Map (db m140325) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fight at Hollow Tree GapHood's Retreat from Nashville
(Prelude) In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman's supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman's "March to the . . . — Map (db m149830) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church was organized on June 8, 1811 with 46 members, including four newly ordained elders. The founding pastor, the Rev. Gideon Blackburn, was a noted preacher, teacher, founder of numerous churches and schools, and . . . — Map (db m149857) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Forest Hill
This community was named for the plantation of Thomas F, Perkins, earlier owned by Nicholas Perkins Hardeman and originally a land grant to Hugh Leiper. The plantation plus a portion of Hardy Murfree's 5,000 acre tract, the Kinnard, Mayberry, and . . . — Map (db m149644) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Forest Home
This community, which appeared on a early twentieth century map spelled "Forrest Home," is thought to have been named for Gen. Nathan B. Forrest, C.S.A., who found it a safe haven after his raid on Brentwood in March, 1863. Forest Home is near the . . . — Map (db m149807) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort Granger
In the spring of 1863, Federal forces commanded by Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger occupied Franklin. Construction of major fortifications began under the direction of Capt. W. E. Merrill, U.S. Corps of Engineers, the largest of them being placed on . . . — Map (db m40116) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort GrangerFranklin Stronghold — Hood's Campaign —
In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman’s supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman’s “March to the Sea,” Hood . . . — Map (db m41119) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort GrangerWalking Tour Introduction
Welcome to Fort Granger. The fort’s position atop Figuers Bluff allowed the Union army to command the town of Franklin as well as the road and railroad that served Nashville. The 84th Indiana Infantry was among the regiments that improved and manned . . . — Map (db m142321) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort GrangerManning the Fort
Located along Figuers Bluff overlooking the Harpeth River, this Federal fort, named for Union Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger, was well situated to control transportation in and out of Franklin. U.S. Corps of Engineers Capt. William E. Merrill supervised . . . — Map (db m142425) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort Granger“We could see every troop and every gun”
Union troops fought at Fort Granger during the Battle of Franklin of November 30, 1864. As the sun set that afternoon, Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood’s army engaged Union Gen. John M. Schofield’s troops in a vicious battle. Five horrific hours of . . . — Map (db m142524) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort GrangerFrom Slaves to Free People
After the Union army occupied Franklin, hundreds of enslaved African Americans fled neighboring plantations and farms and headed toward the Federal camps. Some of these self-emancipated former slaves, called “contrabands,” built and . . . — Map (db m142636) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort Granger“Tried in the Fire”
Staunchly pro-Confederate Williamson County raised several large regiments in the spring of 1861. But after the fall of Nashville in February 1862, Federal regiments quickly occupied the region. They suppressed hostile Confederate sympathizers and . . . — Map (db m142697) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort GrangerFrom Slaves to Soldiers
On March 24, 1863, President Abraham Lincoln told Tennessee Military Governor Andrew Johnson, “The colored population is the great available, and yet unavailed of, force for restoring the Union.” In September 1863, Johnson gave . . . — Map (db m142735) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort GrangerSally Port and Abatis
Directly ahead is Fort Granger’s original entrance and exit, known in military parlance as the sally port. With the completion of the fort in the spring of 1863, Union soldiers had enough artillery to protect the entrance from Confederate cavalry . . . — Map (db m142796) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort Granger Federal Garrison
The Federal Garrison at Franklin centered on the earthworks fortification on Figuers' Bluff. Detached works included Gen Granger's headquarters at a smaller works some 700 yards east at Ralston Lane, gun emplacement on Liberty Pike east of Ralston . . . — Map (db m135395) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fourth Avenue Church of Christ
In 1833, a congregation of seventeen Christians was organized in Franklin following preaching by Tolbert Fanning, Absalom Adams, and Alexander Campbell. Joel Anderson and Andrew Craig were other early leaders in this church, one of the oldest in the . . . — Map (db m149649) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Cotton Factory and Foundry / Lillie Mills
Franklin Cotton Factory and Foundry Dyer Pearl, Thomas Parkes and Joseph L. Campbell established a manufacturing operation for the production of cotton and woolen goods on this 3.5 acres site in 1825. The first steam powered loom in the . . . — Map (db m83179) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 66 — Franklin Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Founded in 1871 as Franklin's first Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the cornerstone was laid on June 3, 1876. Designed by H.C. Thompson, architect of Nashville's Ryman Auditorium, the church was dedicated on April 16, 1877, with the Rev. Thomas Dale . . . — Map (db m61719) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Downtown Historic District
The town of Franklin was developed in 1799 by Abram Maury, who acquired the land from Major Anthony Sharpe. The original town, consisting of 109 acres, was composed of sixteen blocks divided into 188 lots centered on a 2-acre public square. The . . . — Map (db m140424) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin High School1926 - 1956
In the fall of 1926, the school moved to this location into a $125,000 new building paid for by the town of Franklin, and the faculty was supplied by Williamson County. Principal Guy Craddock and a staff of ten teachers greeted the students. The . . . — Map (db m149121) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Housing Authority (FHA)
The Franklin Housing Authority (FHA) was chartered 1953 and from that point has been a leader in providing safe, affordable housing in the Franklin community. The FHA owns approximately 53 acres on six sites in the core of Franklin. These sites . . . — Map (db m141055) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Interurban
In 1902, eight Nashville businessmen (Frank Bond, James Fulcher, Frank Haskell, John H. McMillen, James L. Parks, Jr., Charles Ruth, W.H. Whittemore, and D.J. Wikle) formed the Nashville and Columbia Railroad. Completed in 1908, the Interurban was . . . — Map (db m149730) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Noon Rotary Rodeo
The Franklin Noon Rotary Club was chartered in 1948 by nineteen leading Williamson County businessmen, professionals, and farmers. The organization is best known for founding the Franklin Rodeo in 1950, an annual event which has grown into one of . . . — Map (db m83285) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Railroad Depot
In 1853, John S, Claybrook, a Williamson County railroad visionary, led a group of about 30 local citizens to provide the initial $20,000 capital for building the Tennessee & Alabama Railroad. The City of Franklin followed with $20,000. Once the . . . — Map (db m142176) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Special School DistrictEstablished in 1906
On October 27, 1906, the Franklin School Board was created by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen. In April 1907, the Tennessee Legislature officially recognized District Nine, Franklin City School System. The original Franklin Elementary School was . . . — Map (db m83180) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin Town SquareCourthouse and Markethouse
A two-story brick courthouse was constructed where you are standing in about 1809. The "market house,” where farmers and vendors sold their produce and wares, stood "in close proximity” to the courthouse. For half a century human beings . . . — Map (db m146043) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin’s Civil War SitesThe Battle of Franklin
(prelude) In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood led the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman’s supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman’s “March to . . . — Map (db m141977) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin-Hillsboro Turnpike / Franklin's Water Supply
Franklin-Hillsboro Turnpike The Franklin Hillsboro Turnpike Company was chartered March 15, 1880. The turnpike ran from the Wye at Southall and Carter's Creek Turnpike to the Cunningham Bridge on Garrison Creek. Original stockholders were . . . — Map (db m149778) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Franklin's Green Book Entry
This site is historically recognized for its former owner Ruth Gaylor (1902-1982) and her guest house participation in the famed Green Book. This book was first published in 1936 by Victor H. Green (1892-1960). The Green Book was the product of . . . — Map (db m149709) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Freeman's Battery, Forrest's Artillery
Front: Dedicated to Freeman’s Battery, Forrest’s Artillery and Samuel L. Freeman, Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest’s first artillery captain. The battery was captured on the Lewisburg Pike near Franklin, TN, April 10, 1863 Rear: While advancing toward . . . — Map (db m135828) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Grassland Community
This site was part of a 1784 land grant to heirs of Wm. Leaton, Jr. The tract was settled in the late 1820s by W. Leaton III. By 1801 John Campbell, John Stuart, Ephriam Brown, Wm. Tarkington, and Joseph German were living in this area. Later . . . — Map (db m149815) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Hard Bargain
In 1873, W.S. McLemore subdivided 15 acres which he called “Hard Bargain” because of a difficult land deal struck in 1866. Hard Bargain became a stable community, largely African-American. The Harvey McLemore house on this lot, built in . . . — Map (db m141263) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 78 — Hardy MurfreeRevolutionary War Hero
Lieutenant Colonel Hardy Murfree, for whom Murfreesboro, Tennessee, is named, served in the Continental Army. He fought in many engagements, including Brandywine, Germantown, and Monmouth. At Stony Point, he played a key role in defeating the . . . — Map (db m149646) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 26 — Harpeth Academy
1.4 miles west, and north of the road, this boys' school commenced operations in 1811 under Rev. Gideon Blackburn, noted Presbyterian missionary. James Hervey Otey, later first Episcopal bishop of Tennessee, succeeded him in 1821. In 1825, the . . . — Map (db m149651) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Harpeth River Restoration and Fish PassageA project of America’s Great Outdoors
Tennessee’s Harpeth River Restoration Project is designated a keystone conservation and outdoor restoration project under President Obama’s America’s Great Outdoors program. Here, we celebrate the partnership and collaboration that resulted in . . . — Map (db m138511) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Harris-McEwan HouseJohn B. McEwan (1820-1903)
John B. McEwen, lawyer, bank president, developer, Progressive farmer & dairyman, investor in numerous businesses, supporter of public schools, owner of the Fernvale Hotel, and Civil War era-mayor, was one of Franklin's leading citizens. He married . . . — Map (db m146271) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Harris-McEwan HouseCary Harris (1806-1842)
At age 15, Cary Harris started the Franklin weekly newspaper, The Independent Gazette. Later, in 1824, he and his future brother-in-law, Abram P. Maury, Jr., began the Nashville Clarion, followed by the Nashville Republican in 1825. He married . . . — Map (db m146421) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Hincheyville
In early 1819, Alfred Balch, Felix Grundy, James Irwin, Randal McGavock, and James Trimble developed Hincheyville, Franklin's first subdivision. The ninety acres, extending from Fair to Eleventh Avenues, including 26 lots on Fair Street, 25 lots on . . . — Map (db m61716) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Historic Franklin Masonic HallCall for Peace, Summons to Arms
As the Civil War approached, Masons urged peace. James McCullum, Grand Master of Tennessee, encouraged "the brethren engaged in the lawful contest to remember that a fallen foe is a brother, and as such is entitled to warmest sympathies and . . . — Map (db m147247) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 11 — Hood and SchofieldNov. 30, 1864
Schofield, slipping his army past Hood's at Spring Hill, entrenched in the southern edge of Franklin, 2 mi. N. Here Hood attacked him frontally about 4 p.m., sustaining heavy losses. Schofield withdrew to Nashville, Hood followed. Hood's command . . . — Map (db m135821) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Hood's Retreat
Following the Battle of Franklin, the Union army dashed north into their supply base of Nashville and its vast network of fortifications where Gen. George H. Thomas had assembled a sizeable force. In pursuit came Gen. John Bell Hood’s battered . . . — Map (db m103490) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — John Adams
Tennessee born John Adams was a West Point graduate. He was commissioned Brigadier to rank from December 29, 1862, after assuming command of Maryland born Lloyd Tilghman’s Brigade. Joining The Army of Tennessee at Resaca in May 1864, the Brigade . . . — Map (db m137828) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — John C. Carter
Commissioned Brigadier to rank from July 7, 1864 Carter had worked his way up from the rank of Captain by distinguishing himself with the Army of Tennessee at Shiloh, Perryville, Murfreesboro & Chickamauga. Taking part in the Atlanta Campaign, . . . — Map (db m137862) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 56 — John H. Eaton
On this site stood the home of John H. Eaton, U.S. Senator (1818-1829) and Secretary of War under Andrew Jackson (1829-1831). He resigned from the Cabinet after a scandal which reflected on the reputation of his controversial wife, Peggy. He . . . — Map (db m149683) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 30 — John Price Buchanan
Born 3 miles, NE, Oct. 24,1847; member of the Legislature, 1887 to 1891, he was governor from 1891 to 1893. Elected by a farmer-labor coalition, his administration was marked by labor unrest and reform, extension of the public school system, and . . . — Map (db m68998) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Leigh-Morgan Property at Grassland
(Side One) In 1898 Thomas J. and Mattie Dudley Leigh purchased a 103-acre parcel of land on the west side of Hillsboro Pike in the area known as the Grassland community. Supporting the family as farm land and orchids, the property evolved . . . — Map (db m68996) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Leiper's Fork Church of Christ
The Union Meeting House was built on this site in 1821. With the Restoration movement and the preaching of Andrew Craig and Joel Anderson, Leiper's Fork became the first Church of Christ south of Nashville. In 1831, Seth and Rebecca Sparkman were . . . — Map (db m149654) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Lewisburg Avenue Historic District
This Historic District, located along Lewisburg Ave. immediately south of what once was the town limit, consisted of 31 houses in 1993. The district's oldest residence is the Otey-Campbell House, built in 1840 on the corner of South Margin and . . . — Map (db m149015) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street / "Bucket of Blood" Neighborhood
Lot 60 at the Corner of Cameron & Church Street In 1867 Rev. Otis O. Knight of Nashville purchased Lot 60, selling the southern half to ex-slave A.N.C. Williams, and the northern half for the construction of Wiley Memorial Methodist Episcopal . . . — Map (db m69010) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 69 — Lotz House
In 1858, the Lotz House was built on property purchased from Fountain B. Carter by German immigrant Albert Lotz, a master carpenter and piano maker. On November 30, 1864, before the Battle of Franklin, the Lotz family sought refuge across the . . . — Map (db m62335) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Lotz HouseUnion Counterattack — Hood's Campaign —
(Preface): In September 1864, after Union Gen. William T. Sherman defeated Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood at Atlanta, Hood let the Army of Tennessee northwest against Sherman's supply lines. Rather than contest Sherman's "March to . . . — Map (db m83181) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Main Entrenchment Federal Battle Line
Battle of Franklin, November 30, 1864. Federal commander, Gen. John M. Schofield. Confederate commander, Gen. John B. Hood. Bloodiest battle of the War Between the States for numbers involved. In this battle fell six Confederate generals: . . . — Map (db m103601) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Maj. Gen. William W. Loring's Division
During the Battle of Franklin this Confederate division composed of three brigade commanded by Brig. Gens. Winfield Scott Featherston, Thomas Moore Scott,and John Adams, swept past Carnton as it approached the Federal line just after 4 p.m. on . . . — Map (db m103337) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Major General Patrick R. Cleburne CSA
“Well, Govan, if we are to die, let us die like men.” Nov. 30, 1864 Presented as a tribute to General Cleburne and his gallant division by Dr. and Mrs. David R. Watts — Map (db m135825) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Mallory Cemetery
Revolutionary War Patriot Roger Mallory and his wife, Lucy, are buried in this cemetery. Roger was born 12 May 1755 in King William Co., VA, died 22 Dec. 1834 in Williamson Co., TN. Lucy died 16 Feb. 1831 in Williamson Co., TN. Roger's 1832 . . . — Map (db m149793) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Masonic Temple
This Masonic Temple, home of Hiram Lodge No. 7, built in 1823, was the first three-story building in Tennessee, and was at that time, the tallest building west of the Allegheny Mountains. It has been occupied by Hiram Lodge No. 7 since its . . . — Map (db m61690) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Maury-Darby Building
This oldest building on the square was built 1815-1817 by Thomas T. Maury, cousin of Matthew Fontaine Maury, “Pathfinder of the Seas,” and nephew of Abram Maury, Franklin’s founder. It has housed Franklin’s first bank, “Doctors’ . . . — Map (db m142099) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 40 — McConnico Meeting House
About 100 yards SW stood the church where Garner McConnico, a pioneer from Lunenburg Co., Va., organized a Primitive Baptist congregation about 1799. Destroyed by storm in 1909, the church was rebuilt at its present location on the Liberty Pike, . . . — Map (db m149860) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — McGavock Confederate Cemetery
After the Battle of Franklin, November 30, 1864, the Union Army withdrew into Nashville. Casualties of over 8,000 Union and Confederate soldiers lay upon the field. In pursuit of the withdrawing Union forces, Confederate General John Bell Hood . . . — Map (db m69042) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — McGavock Confederate CemeteryLabor of Devotion
In the spring of 1866, the bodies of Confederate soldiers killed at the Battle of Franklin were exhumed from their temporary graves and reburied here, on this two-acre plot adjacent to Carnton, home of John and Carrie McGavock. Over about ten weeks, . . . — Map (db m83183) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — McGavock Confederate Cemetery
In the spring of 1866, Col. John McGavock, seeing the deteriorating condition of the Confederate graves on the Franklin battlefield, set aside 2 acres of Carnton Plantation as the nation's largest private Confederate cemetery. The dead were . . . — Map (db m84205) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — McGavock Family Cemetery
Buried here, beginning ca. 1818, are the remains of numerous family members. Among them are Randal McGavock (1768-1843), planter and political leader who built Carnton; his son, Col. John McGavock (1815-1893), successful farmer and civic leader who . . . — Map (db m84174) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Meeting of the Waters
This house, named for its location at the confluence of the Big Harpeth and West Harpeth rivers, was built in the early 1800s by Thomas Harden Perkins (1757-1838), Revolutionary War officer, Tennessee pioneer, planter, and ironmaster. It is one of . . . — Map (db m149798) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Methodist Church
This building stands at the church's third location. The original brick sanctuary stood on the east side of First Avenue facing Church Street. Land for it had been given in 1799 by Franklin founder Abram Maury. Pioneer Methodist Bishop Francis . . . — Map (db m149070) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Mississippi
(Front) Twas November Thirtieth, Eighteen Sixty-Four Mississippi’s sons and fathers into battle again were poured. The young and the old. The brave and the bold. Their mission all too plain – to charge across what would be . . . — Map (db m137616) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Montpier
Nicholas "Bigbee" Perkins (1779-1848) gained national fame when he helped capture Aaron Burr in the Mississippi Territory in 1807.Perkins, who was a lawyer and territorial Register of Lands, also was in charge of a small party who took Burr from Ft. . . . — Map (db m149813) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Natchez Street Community
After the Civil War, Natchez Street became Franklin’s primary African-American community. Black businesses included: Undertakers J.T. Patton, Maggie Betsy Prince, Henry Ewing; Plumber Morton Thomas; Plasterer Bud Cheatham; Bricklayers Son Scruggs, . . . — Map (db m69021) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 61 — New Hope Presbyterian Church
Rev. Duncan Brown organized the Presbyterians in the Duck River Ridge region in 1806. The first log church, called Ridge Meeting House, was erected one mile south of here four years later; this was the first church south of Franklin in Williamson . . . — Map (db m149774) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Old Factory Store
(side 1) In 1799 Franklin founder Abram Maury sold Lot 20 to Joseph McBride. By 1825 Dyer Pearl, Thomas Parkes, and Joseph L. Campbell operated a steam-powered cotton & grist mill on East Margin and owned Lot 20 upon which was built a brick . . . — Map (db m61727) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Old Harpeth River Bridge
On July 5, 1819, The Williamson County Court authorized “building of a bridge across the Harpeth at the town of Franklin.” The bridge was a large, enclosed, double covered bridge having a partition along its middle course, with two . . . — Map (db m142259) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Opdycke's Bridgade
Col. Emerson Opdycke's Federal brigade was positioned in this area 150 yards north of the Carter House, east and west of Columbia Pike. Without orders, the Federal brigade attacked a portion of Cleburne's and Brown's Confederate divisions after they . . . — Map (db m135705) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Original St. Philip Catholic ChurchBuilt In 1871
James Woods, a local farmer, sold this property in 1847 to Bishop Miles of Nashville. He purchased the land with $400 in gold donated by the Franklin Female Academy for the purpose of building a church. Thus was begun the St. Philip Catholic . . . — Map (db m83184) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Otho F. Strahl
Commissioned Brigadier to rank from July 28, 1863, this Ohio born “States Righter” commanded one of the “Hardest Hitting Brigades” in The Army of Tennessee. Serving in first Cheatham’s Tennessee Division then with AP Stewart . . . — Map (db m137947) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Our Ancestors
In memory of our ancestors who marched with the Army of the Tenn. CSA 30 Nov. 1864 Presented by Sam Davis Camp 1293 Sons of Confederate Veterans 30 Nov. 1991 — Map (db m137525) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Our Confederate Soldiers
(Front): Erected to Confederate Soldiers by Franklin Chapter No. 14, Daughters of the Confederacy, Nov. 30, A.D. 1899. (Right panel): We, who saw and knew them well, are witnesses to coming ages of their valor and . . . — Map (db m141707) WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Presbyterian Church
The Presbyterian Church was organized in Franklin by the Reverend Gideon Blackburn on June 8, 1811 and first located near City Cemetery. The church moved to this location in 1842. The Reverend A.N. Cunningham was pastor from 1843 to 1857. In 1847, . . . — Map (db m61726) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Protecting Our Historic ResourcesWinstead Hill & The Battle of Franklin
Winstead Hill is historically rooted to the City of Franklin due to a significant confrontation during the Civil War. The crest of Winstead Hill rises approximately 200 feet above downtown Franklin and is located two miles to the south. Because . . . — Map (db m146956) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Railroad Section Foreman's House / Pioneers' Corner
Railroad Section Foreman's House Built around 1870, this quaint structure was home for the foreman, who oversaw all track maintenance for this section of railroad between Nashville and Columbia. Across the railroad tracks near the riverbank two . . . — Map (db m149275) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — ReconstructionFrom Slavery to Freedom
Reconstruction began when the Civil War ended in 1865. The war had saved the Union, and the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution ended slavery. Ratified during Reconstruction, the 14th and 15th Amendments guaranteed citizenship and voting rights . . . — Map (db m146101) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Rest Haven Cemetery
In 1855, eminent Franklin lawyer John Marshall gave a seven-acre lot for a new cemetery to be located immediately west of the City Cemetery. Early Methodist minister Thomas L. Douglass and numerous Confederate soldiers are buried here. Among the . . . — Map (db m141364) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Restoring the Chestnut
Bringing Back the American Chestnut In 1983 a dedicated group of scientists founded The American Chestnut Foundation (TACF) with the mission of restoring the American chestnut to our eastern forests to benefit our environment, our wildlife, and . . . — Map (db m143899) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Retreat Action at Franklin
On Dec 17, 1864, perhaps the largest cavalry engagement on American soil took place along Franklin Pike and the Nashville & Decatur RR sweeping across what is now Harlinsdale farm. Maj Gen James H. Wilson’s US Cavalry Corps pursued Hood’s retreating . . . — Map (db m137256) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 65 — Richard "Dick" Poyner(1802-1862)
One of Tennessee's most outstanding Wood craftsmen, Richard "Dick" Poynor was listed in the 1860 census as a free mulatto. He was literate, a man of property, and a member of the Leipers Fork Primitive Baptist Church, a white congregation. Poynor's . . . — Map (db m149653) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Riverview
Built in 1902 by Henry Hunter Mayberry (1861-1931), a native of Williamson County and a man of integrity, broad vision and generosity. He was the developer of Franklin’s water system and gave the only spring large enough to service it. In 1908 he . . . — Map (db m68999) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Roper's Knob in the Civil War / The Union Fortification of Roper's Knob
(side 1) Roper's Knob in the Civil War Franklin was located along the Nashville & Decatur Railroad, linking Middle Tennessee to points north and south. As a result, this region became a major objective for Union and Confederate . . . — Map (db m149795) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Rusty MechanismThe Recycled Factory Man
He is a local guy, a loyal, hardworking factory man and is employed by the Factory at Franklin. Rusty is both dependable and moral and stands as a tribute to American industry and to all working people. He is clocking out, leaving the Factory . . . — Map (db m150314) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Samuel Claybrook Locke
At this location on the night of March 7, 1925, Federal Revenue officer Sam Locke was murdered while opening the front gate. Three months before his death, Locke had resigned as deputy under Sherriff W.W. Crockett for lack of support in his efforts . . . — Map (db m146428) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Samuel Winstead (1778-1851)
Samuel Winstead, a native of Virginia, came here in 1799. At his death, his $34,000 estate included several tracts of land and 78 slaves. His will granted freedom and passage to Liberia for all his slaves upon the death of his wife. At . . . — Map (db m62197) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Southall
This community was named for James Southall, a soldier in the Battle of New Orleans. In 1876 Sam Allen, James banks, J.S. Cotton, C.D. Kirkpatrick, Byron Lillie, and Theo Scruggs organized and built the Berea Church of Christ. A public school was . . . — Map (db m149781) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — 3D 51 — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
This "Mother Church of the diocese of Tennessee," was begun in 1831, four years after its congregation was organized in 1827. Here James H. Otey, its first rector, was elected the first bishop of Tennessee. It was so damaged through use as a Civil . . . — Map (db m61697) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — St. Philip Catholic Church
(side 1) Missionary priests first celebrated mass in Franklin in 1821 in a private home for the two resident Catholic families. The Nashville bishopric planned a Catholic church in Williamson County as early as 1843, but it was the influx . . . — Map (db m149685) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Standing at the Crossroads 1861
Pre-war Middle Tennessee thrived. Residents free and enslaved grew copious amounts of corn, wheat, timber, cattle, and horses, and no area of the South produced more mules and hog. Toads, rails, and telegraph wires webbed across the center of the . . . — Map (db m103328) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — States Rights Gist
The Tragedy [sic] of Franklin quite possible may have been averted had this scholarly South Carolina Blue Blood been given the promotion to division command that his service record warranted. Completely reorganizing the South Carolina State . . . — Map (db m138048) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Tennessee
On a November afternoon in 1864 brave Confederate sons of Tennessee moved forward into battle against Federal lines entrenched two miles north. Winstead Hill served as the place of assembly and was an observation point during the battle. . . . — Map (db m137700) HM WM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Tennessee Association,Sons of Confederate Soldiers
Side A The association was established at Franklin on Sept. 14, 1892, in conjunction with the annual reunion of the Tennessee Association of Confederate Soldiers which was held in McGavock's Grove 500 yards Southeast of this marker. The . . . — Map (db m77127) HM

262 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 62
Paid Advertisement
May. 29, 2020