Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Roads & Vehicles Historical Markers

 
Armistice Day Celebration - 1918 image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, May 30, 2014
Armistice Day Celebration - 1918
Michigan (Allegan County), Martin — Early History of Martin — Martin was First Settled a Year Before Michigan Became a State
On the 8th day of January, 1836, Mumford Eldred along with his second wife, Jane, and five children, settled on 40 acres in section 29 of Martin Township. The land included a 30 acre clearing on which the northern edge lived a small band of . . . — Map (db m74657) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — L1908 — The Allegan Road
When Allegan county was organized in 1835, the only road from the interior to Lake Michigan followed an Indian Trail along the Kalamazoo River. In 1838 Ralph Mann of Connecticut was supervising improvements at the short-lived town of Richmond. He . . . — Map (db m73603) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Bertrand — L1363C — Parc Aux Vaches — Madeline Bertrand Park
Known as Parc aux Vaches, or “cow pasture,” this area was named by the French for the wild buffalo that once grazed here. Two major Indian trails crossed here: the Sauk Trail, also called the old Chicago Trail, which linked Detroit and . . . — Map (db m64552) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), New Buffalo — Eisenhower Interstate System
During the presidency (1953–1961) of Dwight D. Eisenhower, the 34th President of the United States, the National System of Interstate and Defense highways was finalized and signed into law. Gaining support for the Interstate Highway System . . . — Map (db m1668) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), New Buffalo — L1256 — New Buffalo Welcome Center
The nation’s first Highway Travel Information center opened on May 4, 1935, on US-12 at New Buffalo, not far from here. Other states followed Michigan’s lead, and by 1985 there were 251 travel information centers across the nation. The New Buffalo . . . — Map (db m1593) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), New Buffalo — 718 — West Michigan Pike
(side 1) At the turn of the twentieth century, deep ruts and sand made West Michigan roads nearly impassable. In 1911 the West Michigan Lakeshore Highway Association was founded to promote the construction of the first improved highway . . . — Map (db m60839) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — S0655 — John and Horace Dodge / The Dodge Brothers
John and Horace Dodge. Auto barons John (1864–1920) and Horace (1868–1920) Dodge were born and raised in Niles. During the 1830s, their grandfather, Ezekiel, had migrated from Massachusetts to Niles, where he ran a steam engine . . . — Map (db m1707) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — PA-WA-TING — (Great Crossing)
Here the Old Sauk Trail forded the O-Sang-E-Wong-Se-Be now known as the Saint Joseph River. — Map (db m68474) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Bronson — S162 — The Chicago Road
One of the great routes for the pioneers coming west was the Chicago Road. The survey of the road began at Detroit in 1825 and followed closely the Sauk Trail which Indians had marked and traveled for centuries before the coming of the white man. . . . — Map (db m64549) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Union City — 6 — Narrow Gauge Railway to the Cement Factory — Union City Heritage Water Trail
There was a trestle here for a narrow gauge railway from Turtle Lake, 2 miles to the north, to the cement factory in the SE corner of town for transporting marl. The railway crossed both the St. Joe and Coldwater Rivers. Peerless Portland Cement was . . . — Map (db m95167) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Marengo — 1 — Marengo Pioneer Cemetery
This site on Territorial Road was a gift of Seeley Neal (1778-1862) from 640 acres acquired from the government in 1831. Neal, a veteran of the War of 1812, built the first log house in the township. His was the first family to locate in the . . . — Map (db m28398) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Dowagiac — Pickett's Corner
. . . — Map (db m75972) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 3 — Auto Ferries — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Mackinaw City is the northernmost point on the lower peninsula and all the main auto routes through Northern Michigan terminated here. These roads were the East Pike, the West Pike and the Dixie Highway. The automobile eventually replaced train . . . — Map (db m138187) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Building Mighty Mac — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
The Mackinac Bridge is constructed of three segments – at each end is a post-supported truss bridge and in the center is a suspension bridge segment. This bridge was the longest suspension bridge in the world for decades after its . . . — Map (db m107135) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — Chief Wawatam — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Railroad construction across America boomed in the second half of the 1800s, spurred on by technological improvements and demand for distant products. Getting rail cars across the Straits required special boats. Railroads were completed on . . . — Map (db m105945) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 45 — Historic Mackinaw City — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
. . . — Map (db m105946) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 44 — Historic Mackinaw City — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
[Captions:] 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s Simpson House hotel, 1910. Central Avenue, 1920. — Map (db m135274) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — L1414 — Mackinaw City
Side 1 In 1634 Samuel de Champlain sent Jean Nicolet from Quebec to explore this area and make peace with the Ottawa and Ojibwa Indians. French traders were in the area in 1673, but they left when conflict with the Indians ensued. The . . . — Map (db m105887) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — S670 — Michigan State Ferry System / Michigan State Car Ferries
Michigan State Ferry System (side 1) In 1923, in response to increasing automobile traffic, the Michigan Highway Department established the Michigan State Ferry System to connect the Upper and Lower Peninsulas by transporting travelers . . . — Map (db m131696) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 10 — Railroad Ferries — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
The construction of railroads into Northern Michigan closely followed the lumbering industry. In 1881, the Michigan Central completed its line into Mackinaw, and the Mackinac and Marquette reached St. Ignace in the same year. To complete the . . . — Map (db m138432) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — The Dixie Highway — Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Since the beginning of the 20th century, two main roads brought tourists to Northern Michigan. These roads were the East and West Pikes and they converged in Mackinaw City. In 1915 the East Pike became part of the Dixie Highway, a series of . . . — Map (db m125535) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), Ovid — Carriage House
In 1996, the Ovid Historical Society with the financial aid of the Downtown Development Association purchased a carriage that had been manufactured at the Ovid Carriage Works, later known as the Scofield Buggy Company in Ovid. The members of the . . . — Map (db m119805) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Old Indian Trail

This boulder marks the Old Indian Trail from Mackinaw City to Grand Rapids used from time immemorial by the Huron, Ottawa, Chippewa and other tribes — Map (db m97876) HM

Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — Flint Automobile Company — Starting with A. B. C.
Could it be done here? Hardy was vacationing in Europe when he noticed the advancements being made there in automobiles. Hardy realized the auto's potential in America, but was unable to convince Flint's carriage makers to turn to . . . — Map (db m143768) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — Gatehouse — Applewood's Staff
This large estate and farm required a staff to maintain it. The Motts employed many people over the years. Some lived on the estate with their families in this gatehouse and elsewhere on the property. The Farmer Lived Here This . . . — Map (db m142557) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — Josiah Dallas Dort — Committed to Flint
Josiah Dallas Dort took care of much more than business. Dort was a founding partner of the Durant-Dort Carriage Company and later a president of Dort Motor Car Company. But he was also actively involved in the Flint Institute of Music, the . . . — Map (db m143662) HM
Michigan (Gratiot County), Breckenridge — L1966 — Saginaw and Gratiot County State Road / Saginaw Valley and St. Louis Railroad
Saginaw and Gratiot County State Road In 1867 goods for Gratiot and Isabella Counties were shipped from Detroit to St. Johns, then hauled by teams of horses to outlying settlements. In an effort to lessen the exhorbitant . . . — Map (db m106669) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Jonesville — Father Gabriel Richard
Priest Educator-Statesman Secured funds in 1825 through the United States Congress for the survey of the Great Sauk Trail now U.S. Highway 112 thus opening this artery of civilization into the west — Map (db m32219) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — L1338 — Michigan Automobile Dealers Association
In 1920 the Michigan Automotive Trade Association was founded in Detroit. On May 19, 1921, the group was incorporated, with the following officers: G.S. Garber, President: H.H. Shuart Secretary; and Clark Graves, Treasurer. The association's purpose . . . — Map (db m102983) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — First Olds Horseless Carriage
Near this site in 1886, Ransom Eli Olds designed, built, and first drove a steam powered horseless carriage. In 1803, he brought out his first automobile using gasoline engine power. In 1897, he organized the Olds Motor Vehicle company and produced . . . — Map (db m104356) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — Henry Ford 1863-1947
Henry Ford transformed America by creating “a motor car for the great multitude.” Always interested in tinkering with machinery than in working on his parents’ Dearborn farm. Ford gravitated toward the young auto industry in the 1890’s. . . . — Map (db m104169) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — I-496 Olds Freeway — Rolling Through the City — The I-496 freeway loop opened in late 1970. —
The road, cutting across downtown Lansing, was given the name "Olds Freeway' in honor of Ransom E. Olds. The new freeway reflected a national trend as workers moved out of the cities to suburban homes. I-496 spurred growth in the suburbs, but . . . — Map (db m104215) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — S587C — Lansing's First Capitol Building / Lansing Becomes the Capital City
Lansing's First Capitol Building Early in 1847, three commissioners were appointed to select an appropriate site for the capitol in Lansing. The contract for construction was awarded on June 3, 1847. Building materials were shipped by boat on . . . — Map (db m99950) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — Olds Returns to Lansing — The Curved Dash Runabout — Fire didn't destroy Ransom E. Olds' dreams —
After fire destroyed the new Olds Motor Works plant in Detroit on March 9, 1901, the Lansing Business Men's Association offered Olds land originally acquired in hopes of permanently hosting the State Fair. He took it. His new plant produced only the . . . — Map (db m104114) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — Ransom Eli Olds Breakthrough — Engines Turning Wheels — The spark of auto innovation ignited here in the 1890s. —
P.F. Olds founded a prosperous machine shop here on River Street, repairing and building steam and gasoline engines. His was one of many Lansing Manufacturing plants that produced small engines, carriages, windmills and other equipment used by . . . — Map (db m104130) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — Walter Reuther 1907-1970
Walter Reuther was a skilled die maker in Ford auto plants. Following a family heritage of labor and political activism, he joined the young United Auto Workers (UAW) in 1936 and quickly emerged as a leader. He gained national attention in May 1937 . . . — Map (db m103708) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Williamston — The Bridge — Linking a City
1842: The wooden bridge Though no records exist of Williamston's first bridge, there must have been bridges to move supplies and traffic between the mills and farms on the north side. One entering our Village from the north, . . . — Map (db m118899) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Williamston Township — 31 — Grand River Trail
The old Grand River Indian Trail, now US-16, became a plank road in 1848. A toll gate and Red Bridge Post Office were located here. Nearby were homes of John Mullett, pioneer surveyor, and John Forester, explorer, north Michigan mine pioneer. . . . — Map (db m84681) HM
Michigan (Ionia County), Saranac — 253 — The Roadside Table
Here on old U.S. 16 in Boston Township, Ionia County, the first picnic table along a highway right-of-way was placed in 1929 through the initiative of Allan Williams, county engineer. The table was built of salvage planks formerly used as . . . — Map (db m55249) HM
Michigan (Iron County), Iron River — 213 — First Roadside Park
In 1918 the Iron County Board of Supervisors approved the recommendation of the road commission, through its engineer-manager, Herbert F. Larson, to purchase this 320-acre tract of roadside virgin timber and to dedicate it as a forest preserve. The . . . — Map (db m125084) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Clinton — L474 — Clinton / Site of the Clinton Inn
Clinton Early settlers who came here from New York via the Erie Canal named this community in honor of DeWitt Clinton, the governor of their native state. First settled in 1829, Clinton became an important center of trade . . . — Map (db m104925) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Ancient Anishinabe Path / Gete Anishinaabek Miikaan
Ancient Anishinabe Path The route that U.S. 2 follows today has served as an important transportation corridor from the earliest inhabitants of the Michigan Peninsulas to the present. When the Federal Highway System was established . . . — Map (db m139359) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Michigan State Ferry — Saint Ignace Terminal — 1923-1932 —
Built and operated under the supervision of Grover C. Dillman, State Highway Commissioner, as a link of the State Highway System. Ferry service first opened -1923- under the supervision of Frank F. Rogers, State Highway Commissioner, 1913-1929. . . . — Map (db m130090) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — State Ferries, 1923-1957
July 31, 1923 marked the beginning of a Straits ferry system, when the converted river boat “Ariel,” landed 20 autos at the St. Ignace center. Annual traffic increased to about one million cars, requiring 470 employees, new docks and a . . . — Map (db m130095) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — State Ferry Service
This dock and the auto ferries which landed here were once the Upper Peninsula's "highway" to lower Michigan. In the early 1900's, the few cars which reached the Straits crossed on railroad ferries, at a cost of $40 each! Better roads . . . — Map (db m139782) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Clinton Township — S142 — Moravian Road
In 1782 marauding American militia massacred nearly one hundred Christian Delaware Indians at their village in eastern Ohio. Seeking refuge, the Delaware settled on the Clinton River two and one-half miles north of here, on land granted by the . . . — Map (db m85632) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Memphis — L824B — "The Thing"
Thomas Clegg (1863-1939) and his English-born father, John, built “The Thing,” the first recorded self-propelled vehicle in Michigan (and perhaps the country) in 1884-85. The Thing, driven by a single cylinder steam engine with a tubular . . . — Map (db m135276) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Romeo — From the Foundry Fires — Engine Blocks for Ford's Model T
Romeo's foundry industry was well-established when Lyman Holmes contacted Ford Motor Company in 1907. Ford was having problems getting engine parts for the Model N automobile from foundries in Detroit. Holmes managed the Romeo Foundry, that . . . — Map (db m123458) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Romeo — Many Tools and Many Tasks — The C. Craig Blacksmith Museum
This shop has sheltered many types of work over the years. Built on its original South Bailey Street site in 1864, its owners included a tinsmith and a furniture upholsterer. Later, blacksmith Clyde Craig worked in the building for 50 . . . — Map (db m123327) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Romeo — Wooden Wheels — Romeo Grows with its Carriage Industry
Romeo was a world of wheels, long before the automobile. In the mid-1800s, a carriage industry developed here which was responsible for much of the prosperity of the Village of Romeo. This is still seen in the beautiful old homes built . . . — Map (db m123364) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — A Plank Road History — Gratiot Avenue and "The Junction"
There had to be a better way to travel through the countryside when Michigan was young. In the mid-1800s, the new Gratiot Turnpike between Detroit and Mt. Clemens was a swampy and rutted dirt road. To improve things, in 1846 the State of . . . — Map (db m120549) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — Frenchy's Auto Parts — Helping Hands for the Roseville Community
During World War II, new cars were not available and people came to Frenchy's Auto Parts to keep their cars running. Owners Dumitru and Anna Simionescu experienced difficulties — rebuilding from a 1949 fire and financial struggles . . . — Map (db m120723) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — Watching the Big Show — at the Gratiot Drive-In Theater
The outdoor theater was a delightful landmark in Roseville and in the memories of people who enjoyed the Gratiot Drive-In for 36 years. It first opened in 1948 and offered entertainment until it closed in September 1984. People fondly . . . — Map (db m120666) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — "Quality First" — The Packard Motor Car Company
Packard is remembered and celebrated by people around the world. No company sold more luxury cars between 1925 and 1942, and the distinctive tombstone-shaped grill was a company trademark. The Packard Motor Car Company was originally . . . — Map (db m137591) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Base of Operations — The Lodge at the Proving Grounds
The Lodge is a landmark, just north of the main gates of the Packard Proving Grounds. Designed by famous architect Albert Kahn in the English Cotswold style, it opened in 1928 as the site's base of operations. The site manager and his . . . — Map (db m137579) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Extreme Testing — The Packard Endurance Runs
Packard combined luxury and quality like no other automobile. The Packard Motor Car Company continually tested its products, even under extreme conditions. Two 25,000-mile tests were run here on the Packard Proving Grounds track, one in . . . — Map (db m137675) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — In Times of War — Packard's "Arsenal of Democracy"
Packard answered the call to arms, turning its automotive expertise to the production of thousands of trucks and Liberty aircraft engines in World War I. The world again turned to Packard's "Master Motor Builders" during World War II, as . . . — Map (db m137634) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Made for Speed — The Test Track at the Proving Grounds
The high-speed testing track was the key. The 2 1/2-mile oval had 31-degree banked curves which allowed drivers to reach high speeds. On June 14, 1928, after winning that year's Indianapolis 500, race car driver Leon . . . — Map (db m137683) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Packard Proving Grounds — Preserving Automotive History
There were wide open spaces here when the Packard Motor Car Company purchased almost a full square mile of land to the west for a new testing facility. The site opened in 1928 with a high-speed 2 1/2-mile oval track . . . — Map (db m137619) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — The Vincent Family — Home at the Proving Grounds
It wasn't just an industrial testing facility. The Proving Grounds was also home to superintendent Charles H. Vincent and his family, from its opening in 1928 to 1942. Charlie and his wife Lucille raised three daughters in the Lodge at the . . . — Map (db m137605) HM
Michigan (Menominee County), Menominee — Bay de Nocquet Trail
This tablet marks the Bay de Nocquet Trail of the Menominee and other Indian tribes U.S. Mail runners and earliest fur traders also Indian cemetery — Map (db m88828) HM
Michigan (Monroe County), Dundee — Dundee - Hub of the Highways
The first land patent for land in the Village of Dundee, was issued to William Remington, from Livingston County, New York, on July 23, 1823. Riley Ingersoll, Dundee's first white settler, settled here in 1824. The settlement was named Dundee by . . . — Map (db m100794) HM WM
Michigan (Monroe County), Monroe — Historic Crossroad
From the earliest days of Michigan settlement this corner has witnessed travel of many sorts signaling important events in the history of Michigan. East lies Monroe’s port on Lake Erie where waves of immigrant traffic came from New England . . . — Map (db m127984) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — Travel Through Time — on Farmington's Grand River Avenue
Long before our everyday journeys, people traveled along this important road. This was once the Grand River Trail, a pathway Native Americans followed across Michigan before European settlement. Farmington founder Arthur Power came here along . . . — Map (db m85441) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — St. Vincent and Sarah Fisher Center
Side 1 This lovely complex was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, 1929. It is an outgrowth of a foundling and maternity hospital called the House of Providence, administered by the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent DePaul, established in 1851 . . . — Map (db m136118) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — 705 — Michigan's First Tri-level Intersection
During the 1950s, as Oakland County's population soared, the corner of Eight Mile Road and Woodward Avenue became the most congested crossroad in Michigan. The solution, envisioned in a plan created by Detroit and its surrounding counties in the . . . — Map (db m31894) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — The Crow's Nest
A Ferndale landmark, the Crow's Nest served as an early traffic signal at this intersection of Nine Mile and Woodward Avenue. The structure was created to hold policemen high above heavy traffic to direct traffic in a safe environment. The Crow's . . . — Map (db m108383) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Lake Orion — William E. Scripps — and the Scripps-Booth Luxury Automobile
Behind these gates lies the country estate built in 1927 by William E. Scripps, heir to the Detroit News fortune and a talented early aviator, inventor, and radio pioneer. He joined his nephew James Scripps Booth in forming the . . . — Map (db m133626) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Pleasant Ridge — Ridge Road
One of the historic trails leading out of Detroit and built on a sandy ridge to avoid swamplands on either side, Ridge Road was originally part of the Saginaw Trail. This route meandered north from Detroit to Pontiac, Flint, Saginaw and finally . . . — Map (db m96766) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — Indian Trail
This depressed path, northwest across the Almon Starr land, is the last visible remnant of a trail worn by the feet of Indians and the hoofs of their horses traveling between Detroit and Saginaw until the mid 1800s. The children of the American . . . — Map (db m33002) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — S164 — Saginaw Trail / John Almon Starr House
Saginaw Trail The Saginaw Trail, running from Detroit to Saginaw through Pontiac and Flint, was originally an Indian trail. In 1816 Michigan territorial government authorized the building of a road from Detroit to Saginaw along the trail. Part . . . — Map (db m33001) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), West Bloomfield Township — "Motoring" to Pine Lake — with the Automobile Club of Detroit
It was a time of exciting change, as the first automobiles tangled with horses and trolley cars in the streets and countryside. On June 23, 1902 a group of leading businessmen and industrialists came together at the Detroit . . . — Map (db m105226) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), West Bloomfield Township — In Good Company — at Pine Lake Country Club
The sparkling lake has been a gift to the generations Pine Lake Country Club began as a treasured rustic destination for Automobile Club of Detroit road tours in the early 1900s. By 1910, the clubhouse on Pine Lake had become a . . . — Map (db m105200) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), West Bloomfield Township — Settling the Dust — The Countryside Improvement Association
The lakes and landscape of Oakland County weren't ready for the automobile in the early 1900s. Weekend visitors, in noisy "self-propelled" vehicles, churned up dust on unpaved roads and trespassed on private property. To . . . — Map (db m105049) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), White Lake Township — Edsel Ford's Leadership — and His "Nerve Retreat" at Haven Hill
He was a man of vision and achievement, and he called Haven Hill his "nerve retreat," his restful refuge. The only child of Henry and Clara Ford, Edsel Ford was born in 1893 and became the youngest president of Ford Motor Company in 1919. . . . — Map (db m99082) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), White Lake Township — The Haven Hill Getaway — Celebrities Come to Visit
They came from around the world. In the early 1920s, "weekend jaunts" in automobiles and on new roads brought day travelers to this countryside like never before, and also brought prominent people from around the world. The world of Edsel . . . — Map (db m99075) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), White Lake Township — L2106 — White Lake Township Hall
White Lake Township's first white settler, Harley Olmstead, came here from New York State in 1830. The township was set off in 1836. Beginning around 1837 daily stagecoaches and wagons hauling lumber traveled along the old White Lake Road, part of . . . — Map (db m94793) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Wixom — Traces of History — Along Pontiac Trail
This road is a story with many chapters. On Pontiac Trail people have traveled on foot, on horseback and on wheels, tracing the story of Wixom and southeast Michigan. It was vital in prehistory as a Native American footpath, and in 1828 it . . . — Map (db m136792) HM
Michigan (Oceana County), Hart — L2210 — John Gurney Park / Auto Tourist Camps
John Gurney Park Former state senator Theron Gurney and his wife, Helen, donated land to the village of Hart in 1912 for a park to honor their son, Lieutenant John Gurney (1871-1898), a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at . . . — Map (db m106965) HM
Michigan (Saginaw County), Frankenmuth — Gugel Bridge
While W. Christian Gugel (1874-1930) was the treasurer of Saginaw County (1915-1920), he used his influence to ensure that the Dixie Hwy. Bridge was moved to span the Cass River at the Beyer Rd. location near his farm. Because of his efforts it . . . — Map (db m121627) HM
Michigan (Saint Clair County), Port Huron — Intersection of Military Road and Indian Reservation
This tablet marks the intersection of the eastern line of the Indian Reservation surveyed in 1810 provided by the treaty made Nov. 17, 1807 between the U.S. Government and the Chippewa, Ottawa, Pottawattamie [sic], and Wyandotte Indians with the . . . — Map (db m76101) HM
Michigan (St. Joseph County), Constantine — John Stewart Barry
Here resided from 1835 to 1849 John Stewart Barry Governor of Michigan, 1843-46; 1850-52 He was born January 29, 1802, in Amherst, New Hampshire; came to White Pigeon in 1831; to Constantine in 1834; kept a general store and . . . — Map (db m73001) HM
Michigan (St. Joseph County), Mottville — S576A — Mottville Bridge
(Front Side) The Great Sauk Trail, which connected Detroit, Chicago and Green Bay, Wisconsin, crossed the St. Joseph River at a shallow spot in this vicinity. Responding to the westward migration of pioneers, the federal government . . . — Map (db m64545) HM
Michigan (Van Buren County), Paw Paw — S163 — Territorial Road
One of the three great east-west routes of pioneer days, the Territorial Road from Detroit to St. Jos tapped the rich lands of the second "tier" of counties. Approved in 1829, the road was not surveyed through Van Buren County until 1835. Although . . . — Map (db m68436) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — Allen Creek Valley Shapes the Town
Residents living on the west side in the 1870s drove their buggies or walked across the bridge over Allen Creek, climbing the Liberty Street hill to join the celebration of German American Day. In the distance you can see the rooftops of their homes . . . — Map (db m94376) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — 5 — East University Avenue Campus Boundary — 1837
This plaque marks East University Avenue, which served as the eastern boundary of the original forty acres of land deeded to the State of Michigan in 1837 by the Ann Arbor Land Company for the location of the University of Michigan. — Map (db m109021) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — Food and Drink — Haab's Carries on the Tradition
Along the road, a welcoming tradition. The road was once called the Sauk Trail, the Military Chicago Road, Congress Road, and, eventually, Michigan Avenue. For travel by foot, horse, stagecoach, truck, or automobile, it has endured as a . . . — Map (db m98488) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — Hudsons & Friends — at the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum
The building has stories to tell It can tell about first being built as an electric plant before being converted to manufacturing in 1905. There are memories of 1916 when it became the first Dodge dealership outside Detroit, later becoming a . . . — Map (db m94320) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — Michigan Avenue Industry — Ypsilanti's Automotive Manufacturing
The early automotive industry came to Ypsilanti just after World War I. In 1919, Apex Motor Corporation built a small factory on River Street just south of Michigan Avenue to manufacture various "Ace" vehicles. But by 1925 three . . . — Map (db m98724) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — Power on the River — Ford's Ypsilanti Village Industry
Henry Ford wasn't the first to harness the flowing Huron River. In the 1880s, dams built along the river through Ypsilanti provided waterpower to mills processing paper, wool, lumber, and grain. In 1931, Ford bought property along the river . . . — Map (db m98723) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — The Amazing Quarter Mile — Auto Dealers in Ypsilanti
It's hard to count all the brands of automobiles that were sold on the south side of Michigan Avenue. Right here, between the Huron River Bridge and Park Street, 17 auto dealers sold 31 different brands of cars and trucks during the 1900s. . . . — Map (db m98722) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — The Last Hudson Dealership — 100 East Cross Street

The building, originally occupied by the Ypsilanti Electric Company in 1896, became a Dodge automobile dealership in 1917. Joseph H. Thompson was one of the first Dodge dealers in Michigan. In 1933 Hudson Sales and Services opened its doors, . . . — Map (db m94400) HM

Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ypsilanti — Ypsilanti — and the Tucker Phenomenon
It was America's "first completely new car in fifty years" and the vision in 1945 of Preston Tucker, who lived at 110 North Park Street in Ypsilanti. He was the general manager of his family's Ypsilanti Machine & Tool Company at 103 North . . . — Map (db m98420) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Allen Park — S366 — Aaron Greeley / St Cosme Line Road
Aaron Greeley In 1796, when the United States occupied Michigan, there existed many conflicting land claims along the Detroit and Rouge Rivers. Congress in 1806 created a Board of Land Commissioners to adjust these claims. Aaron Greeley, an . . . — Map (db m85916) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — L1629 — Dearborn Hills Golf Club
During his long career Robert Herndon developed over fifty subdivisions and nine golf courses. In 1922 he opened the Dearborn Hills Golf Club. According to the Dearborn Times Herald, it was Michigan's first public golf course. Having been . . . — Map (db m33663) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — 17 — Fair Lane
Here Henry and Clara Bryant Ford lived from 1915 until their deaths in 1947 and 1950. The eminent American auto magnate and inventor named Fair Lane after the road on which his father, William Ford, was born in County Cork, Ireland. The fifty-six . . . — Map (db m31690) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — S0126 — Ford Airport / Ford Tri-Motor
The Ford Airport At this airport, built by Henry Ford in 1924, world and national history was made, ushering in a new era of flight embracing the all-metal airliner, radio control devices, air mail, scheduled flights, and the airline services . . . — Map (db m14956) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — S493 — Ford Rouge Plant
Henry Ford began construction of this complex on the banks of the River Rouge in April, 1917. Here, the Ford Motor Company built World War I submarine chasers known as "Eagle" boats. By the mid-1920s this plant was the largest manufacturing center . . . — Map (db m85592) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — S493 — Ford Rouge Plant
Henry Ford began construction of this complex on the banks of the River Rouge in April, 1917. Here, the Ford Motor Company built World War I submarine chasers known as "Eagle" boats. By the mid-1920s this plant was the largest manufacturing center . . . — Map (db m85810) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — 236 — Henry Ford Birthplace
At this intersection stood the home in which Henry Ford was born on July 30, 1863. The farm house was owned by Ford's parents, William and Mary Ford, and in 1944 it was moved to Greenfield Village. In a space of less than ten years at the beginning . . . — Map (db m32946) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Henry Ford's Brother, William Ford, had this house built...
in 1909 for his Daughter and her family. Three layers of bricks, from the local Clippert Brick Yard, comprise the structure. The garage in the rear of the lot (formerly known as the barn), housed small livestock and chickens (the sounds of . . . — Map (db m98498) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Making Moves — Transportation in Dearborn
Dearborn has long been a transportation hub, first by water and land, later by rail, air and automobile. The Rouge and Detroit rivers provided water transport to the Great Lakes. Major overland routes included the Sauk Trail (later the . . . — Map (db m96842) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — The Carver Lab — for the Scientist's Special Work
One of history's great scientists worked here. Renowned scientist George Washington Carver and Henry Ford became friends in 1936. Both were interested in developing synthetic rubber and plastics from soybeans, peanuts and cotton. Ford built . . . — Map (db m120318) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — The Ten Eyck Tavern
Conrad Ten Eyck (1782-1847) built a famous tavern in 1826 about 300 feet west of this marker--the first resting place of travelers, one day's trip west of Detroit. It stood on the River Rouge at a point where the Chicago Road forked. The northerly . . . — Map (db m32498) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Westward Welcome — on the Chicago Road
The Chicago Road was the way to go west from Detroit. After the Erie Canal in New York state opened in 1825, great numbers of Americans searched for their future to the west across the Great Lakes. Many of them traveled on the Chicago Road, . . . — Map (db m96775) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Wyoming Avenue — and the Changing Industrial Landscape
Wyoming Avenue has a vivid industrial history. Brick-making flourished in the 1800s as companies like Clippert, Haggerty and Mercier took advantage of the area's rich clay deposits. Automakers competing with Ford later came to this east . . . — Map (db m120434) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S280 — Chicago Road
The Great Sauk Trail, the most important Indian trail in the Great Lakes region, was used later by French explorers, fur traders, missionaries, and soldiers. After the 1760's the trail became a major road for British and American travelers. In the . . . — Map (db m42298) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L0594 — Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company was incorporated as an automobile manufacturer on June 16, 1903. The articles of incorporation were drawn up and signed in the office of Alexander Y. Malcolmson, who operated a coal yard once located on this site. Henry Ford gave . . . — Map (db m33525) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S658 — Ransom Eli Olds
In Lansing, on August 21, 1897, Ransom E. Olds (1864-1950) founded the Olds Motor Vehicle Company, the precursor to Oldsmobile. He produced four vehicles that year. In 1899, Olds relocated to Detroit, opening the Olds Motor Works on West Jefferson . . . — Map (db m14362) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — HB11 — U.S. Topographical Engineers
When Michigan became a state in 1837, the Detroit office of the U.S. Topographical Engineers was headquartered on this site. The topographical engineers helped transform Michigan from a wilderness into a prosperous state. They also played a vital . . . — Map (db m42294) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Woodward Avenue Cultural Heritage Tour — Campus Martius
In the earliest days of Detroit, Campus Martius, which means "military ground," served as a drill ground for militia. When Judge Augustus Woodward created his street plan for Detroit in 1807, he began at Campus Martius.

Campus Martius . . . — Map (db m91452) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Hamtramck — L2188 — The Dodge Brothers / Dodge Main
The Dodge Brothers John (1864-1920) and Horace (1868-1920) Dodge grew up in Niles, Michigan. During the late nineteenth century they worked as machinists at the Murphy Boiler Works in Detroit and at the Dominion Typograph Company in Windsor, . . . — Map (db m86444) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Northville — Northville Valve Plant — Henry Ford's Experiment
In Northville, Henry Ford tried something new. His first "village industry" was established here in 1920, to make valves for Model-Ts and tractors, using the Rouge River for power. He hired local workers, and even selected local children . . . — Map (db m137792) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — Roadside Development — and the Haggerty Comfort Station
This comfort station was one of the early public rest stops, and it was a prototype for roadside development. When originally constructed in 1937, this station had a full-time attendant, an information booth and concession stand. Wayne . . . — Map (db m136913) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Rockwood — 8725 — Hull's Trace
Side A In April 1812, as the United States prepared for a possible war with Great Britain, Michigan Territorial Governor William Hull, became the commander of the Army of the Northwest. His first task was to lead his army from Dayton, Ohio, . . . — Map (db m94084) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Taylor — Heritage Park Road System
These roadways, pathways and parking lots were built by Taylor's Public Works and Parks employees. If not for our dedicated employees and generous gift of $200,00 in material from the Edward C. Levy Co., this project, would not have been possible. — Map (db m95119) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wayne — Wayne Industries — Building Transportation
From this building many industries put people in motion. The first was Harroun Motor Car Company, which built more than 3,000 vehicles here from 1915 to 1922. From 1924 to 1927 Gotfredson Truck made heavy duty trucks and bus chassis in this . . . — Map (db m120958) HM

117 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 8, 2020