Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
139 entries match your criteria. The first 100 are listed. The final 39 ⊳
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Newport News

 
First Baptist Church Morrison Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. White, January 30, 2013
First Baptist Church Morrison Marker
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1Virginia (Newport News), Central Newport News — First Baptist Church Morrison1933 - 2003
Born as Oak Grove Baptist Church under the pastoral leadership of the Rev. John Corbin in 1882, First Baptist Church Morrison moved to this site in 1933 and for over seven decades served faithful members of this community and offered a sacred place . . . — Map (db m86238) HM
2Virginia (Newport News), Central Newport News — Hidenwood
This historic acreage, formerly an extensive tract of Warwick County timberland known in colonial days as Nutmeg Quarter, was developed by the Hiden family, 1951 - 1957. The name honors Philip Wallace Hiden (1872-1936), successful businessman, civic . . . — Map (db m33991) HM
3Virginia (Newport News), Central Newport News — Hilton Village
The nation's first Federal war-housing project, this planned community was sponsored by the U. S. Shipping Board and the Newport News Shipyard on the site of J. Pembroke Jones' Warwick County farm "Hilton". It was opened July 7, 1918, and sold to . . . — Map (db m33986) HM
4Virginia (Newport News), Charles — W-73 — Providence Mennonite Church
In 1897, a group of largely Midwestern Amish and Mennonite families, attracted by inexpensive farmland and rich timberland located near the growing urban center of Newport News, moved here to found the Mennonite Colony, an agrarian religious . . . — Map (db m33992) HM
5Virginia (Newport News), Charles — Young’s Mill
Since early colonial days Deep Creek has had a dam and pond here with a mill, owned by the Matthews, Digges and Young families, grinding corn well into the 20th century. In the Peninsula Campaign, Federal forces of Gen. McClellan encountered strong . . . — Map (db m10209) HM
6Virginia (Newport News), Charles — W-63 — Young’s Mill
Following the 10 June 1861 Battle of Big Bethel, Confederate Gen. John B. Magruder established a base at Young’s Mill. This tide mill formed the right flank of Magruder’s First Defensive Line, which reached across the Peninsula to Ship’s Point on . . . — Map (db m10254) HM
7Virginia (Newport News), Fort Eustis — "Magnolia House" - Chief of Transportation's Quarters
The original Magnolia House at Fort Eustis was built in the mid-17th Century by some of the first Jamestown colonists. Over 100 years later the house and land served as an observation post for sentries in the Revolutionary War watching for British . . . — Map (db m92324) HM
8Virginia (Newport News), Fort Eustis — Felker Army Airfield
The world's first military heliport, Felker Army Airfield was dedicated on 7 December 1954 at ceremonies attended by aviation pioneer Igor Sikorsky and MGs Rush B. Lincoln and Paul F. Yount. The basic plan of the unique circular landing pad for . . . — Map (db m92102) HM
9Virginia (Newport News), Fort Eustis — Glebe Lands
In conjunction with a brick church of the Anglican faith, which stood near this spot in 1660, Glebe lands were set aside for the clergy during their incumbency. The congregation worked the lands, raised cattle and hogs, and stocked the necessary . . . — Map (db m92327) HM
10Virginia (Newport News), Fort Eustis — John Rolfe
The earliest prominent settler on Mulberry Island was John Rolfe, who with others owned a 1700-acre plantation there. Rolfe's introduction of a new type of tobacco was the economic salvation of the Jamestown Colony. After the death of his 2nd wife, . . . — Map (db m92101) HM
11Virginia (Newport News), Fort Eustis — Matthew Jones House
Said to have been called 'Bourbon.' This fine example of medieval-style architecture was built in the early 1700's as a story-and-a-half brick house. In 1893 it was remodeled to a full two stories. With its arched doorway, massive chimneys, and a . . . — Map (db m92100) HM
12Virginia (Newport News), Fort Eustis — Matthew Jones HouseBourbon
Newport News was a small community located in Warwick County until late in the 19th century. Established as a town in 1880, it was incorporated as a city in 1896. Warwick County, one of the eight original Virginia shires formed by 1634, became . . . — Map (db m92325) HM
13Virginia (Newport News), Fort Eustis — Mulberry Point & Sir Thomas West
Off this point in early June 1610 anchored the small ships of the starving colonists who had abandoned Jamestown and started down the river to return to England. It was here they were apprised of the timely arrival of Sir Thomas West, (Lord de la . . . — Map (db m79394) HM
14Virginia (Newport News), Greenwood — Battle of Dam No. 1The Water Boiled with Bullets — 1862 Peninsula Campaign —
You are presently standing at the site of Dam No. 1, one of three dams constructed by Confederate commander John Bankhead Magruder to make the sluggish Warwick River into a defensive barrier. Dam No. 1 was the mid-point between two prewar tide mills . . . — Map (db m10355) HM
15Virginia (Newport News), Greenwood — Custer’s Covered Way1862 Peninsula Campaign
George Armstrong Custer had the dubious honor of graduating last in the 1861 class at West Point. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in the 5th U.S. Cavalry and fought with the Army of the Potomac in almost every major battle from Bull Run to . . . — Map (db m11267) HM
16Virginia (Newport News), Greenwood — Mott’s Battery1862 Peninsula Campaign
On April 4, 1862, Major General George B. McClellan launched his offensive on the Virginia Peninsula against the Confederate capital at Richmond. Major General John B. Magruder’s 13,000 troops halted the Union advance along the Warwick-Yorktown line . . . — Map (db m11254) HM
17Virginia (Newport News), Greenwood — W-62 — Peninsula Campaign Warwick River
Following the 10 June 1861 Battle of Big Bethel, Maj. Gen. John B. Magruder, commander of the Confederate Army of the Peninsula, organized the construction of three defensive lines of fortifications across the peninsula. The main line extended 12 . . . — Map (db m10198) HM
18Virginia (Newport News), Jenkins — First Peninsula Defense Line
Earthworks on the hillside above mark the southernmost of three fortified cross-peninsula defense lines built by Confederate Gen. John B. Magruder in the spring of 1862 and extending three miles from Deep Creek here at Young’s Mill, to the Poquoson . . . — Map (db m10175) HM
19Virginia (Newport News), Jenkins — Mathews MillAn Ancient Mill Type
(sidebar) Newport News was a small community located in Warwick County until late in the 19th century. Established as a town in 1880, it was incorporated as a city in 1896. Warwick County, one of the eight original Virginia shires formed by . . . — Map (db m33874) HM
20Virginia (Newport News), Jenkins — Young’s MillMagruder’s First Peninsula Defensive Line — 1862 Peninsula Campaign —
The mill located behind you is one of the few remaining tide mills on the Peninsula. In the woods across the private road to your left are several redoubts and rifle pits. These fortifications are all that remain of the Confederate 1st Peninsula . . . — Map (db m10361) HM
21Virginia (Newport News), Lee Hall — BalthropeBoldrup
Preface: Newport News was a small community located in Warwick County until late in the 19th century. Established as a town in 1880, it was incorporated as a city in 1896. Warwick County, one of the eight original Virginia shires formed by . . . — Map (db m13959) HM
22Virginia (Newport News), Lee Hall — Battle of Lee’s MillFlames Appeared on all Sides — 1862 Peninsula Campaign —
The fortifications that appear before you are all that remain of the extensive Confederate fortifications defending the Warwick River crossing at Lee’s Mill. After an uneventful march up the Great Warwick Road through Young’s Mill on April 4, the . . . — Map (db m10362) HM
23Virginia (Newport News), Lee Hall — W-56 — Fort Eustis
Fort Eustis is named for a native Virginian, Gen. Abraham Eustis (1786 – 1843), a commander of Fort Monroe. In March 1918, the U.S. government established Camp Abraham Eustis as a coast artillery training center; it was designated a fort in . . . — Map (db m10337) HM
24Virginia (Newport News), Lee Hall — Fortification Design1862 Peninsula Campaign
The Confederate field fortifications constructed on the Virginia Peninsula were influenced by seventeenth-century French military engineer Marshal Sebastien le Prestre de Vauban and nineteenth-century American engineering professor Dennis Hart . . . — Map (db m11333) HM
25Virginia (Newport News), Lee Hall — W-58 — Lee’s Mill
Lee’s Mill, a pre-war tide mill, formed part of Confederate Maj. Gen. John Bankhead Magruder’s second Peninsula defensive line. When Union Gen. George B. McClellan began his Peninsula Campaign, his advance against Richmond was blocked here on 5 . . . — Map (db m10196) HM
26Virginia (Newport News), Lee Hall — W-71 — Lee’s Mill Earthworks
These earthworks were part of General John B. Magruder’s second line of defense. At this site on April 5, 1862, Confederate General Lafayette McLaw’s four companies of the Tenth Georgia with Captain Joseph B. Cosnahan’s two batteries stopped the . . . — Map (db m10206) HM
27Virginia (Newport News), Lee Hall — W-57 — Mulberry Point
Mulberry Point is situated on the James River, on the grounds of present-day Fort Eustis. In 1609-1610, the harsh winter known as the “Starving Time” prompted the surviving colonists at Jamestown to abandon it. They and the recently . . . — Map (db m10336) HM
28Virginia (Newport News), Lee Hall — Skiffes CreekThe Defense of Mulberry Island — 1862 Peninsula Campaign —
The redoubt before you is one of five earthworks built by the Confederates to help defend the Mulberry Island/James River flank of Maj. Gen. John Bankhead Magruder’s 2nd Peninsula Defensive Line. This series of redoubts (of which only two remain) . . . — Map (db m10363) HM
29Virginia (Newport News), Lee Hall — Stanley HundredA New Settlement
Preface: Newport News was a small community located in Warwick County until late in the 19th century. Established as a town in 1880, it was incorporated as a city in 1896. Warwick County, one of the eight original Virginia shires formed by . . . — Map (db m13953) HM
30Virginia (Newport News), Lee Hall — The Battle of Lee’s Mill1862 Peninsula Campaign
In March of 1862, Union Maj. Gen. George McClellan’s Army of the Potomac landed at Fort Monroe and Camp Butler. This large force contained 121,500 soldiers, 44 batteries of field artillery and 101 heavy siege cannons. Confederate Maj. Gen. John . . . — Map (db m11310) HM
31Virginia (Newport News), Lee Hall — The Warwick River1862 Peninsula Campaign
Overlooking one of the James River’s tributaries, Lee’s Mill is a watershed property with a long history of settlement. The Native Americans of the Powhatan Confederation hunted and fished along the banks of the Warwick River. During the 1600s, . . . — Map (db m11331) HM
32Virginia (Newport News), Lee Hall — The Warwick-Yorktown Line1862 Peninsula Campaign
On May 24, 1861, Confederate Col. John Magruder assumed command of the Peninsula’s defenses. The Confederate capital at Richmond was only 80 miles from Fort Monroe, and “Prince John” Magruder did not have enough artillery or men to . . . — Map (db m11306) HM
33Virginia (Newport News), Lee Hall — Union Occupation1862 Peninsula Campaign
The Battle of Lee’s Mill set the stage for an elaborate ruse as Gen. Magruder maneuvered his troops along the 12-mile line and created the illusion of double his numbers. Moreover, Gen. McClellan was daunted by the Confederate defenses and had . . . — Map (db m11330) HM
34Virginia (Newport News), Nelson — Windmill Point
This plantation was homesite of Miles Cary, Sr. who came from England in 1645 at the age of 22. He was killed defending Old Point Comfort against the Dutch June 10, 1667. His grave nearby is said to be the oldest in Newport News. Father of Miles . . . — Map (db m33993) HM
35Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — “Every Kind of Obstruction was Skillfully Used”1862 Peninsula Campaign
The Battle of Dam No. 1 proved a lost opportunity for the Union Army to break the Warwick-Yorktown line and force a Confederate withdrawal toward Richmond. Instead, Major General George McClellan spent another 17 days completing his heavy artillery . . . — Map (db m11241) HM
36Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — “Just Like Sap – Boiling, in the Stream”1862 Peninsula Campaign
The Vermont troops waited in vain for reinforcements; Corporal Alonzo Hutchinson was mortally wounded while crossing the Warwick River and died without signaling for support. The Union leaders also failed to exploit the break in the Confederate . . . — Map (db m11215) HM
37Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — “The Bullets Would Whistle Around my Head”1862 Peninsula Campaign
After the 15th North Carolina’s repulse, Brigadier General Howell Cobb (a former governor of Georgia and secretary of treasury) rallied the Confederates and prepared to drive the Vermonters into the water. Cobb commanded a brigade in Brigadier . . . — Map (db m11218) HM
38Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — “Their Conduct was Worthy of Veterans”1862 Peninsula Campaign
Brigadier General William Smith massed 18 cannons in an open field within 500 yards of the opposite shore. In addition, General Smith deployed Brigadier General William T.H. Brooks’s Vermont Brigade along the Warwick River with two brigades in . . . — Map (db m11202) HM
39Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — A Large Brick Kitchen
In the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, Chesapeake planters moved the preparation and cooking of food from their homes to a separate structure. Thus, the odors, noise and heat from cooking were eliminated from the main house. Most . . . — Map (db m16553) HM
40Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — An Earthwork in Front
Situated on high ground two miles behind the Warwick-Yorktown line, this redoubt (a four or multiple-sided field fortification) was constructed by the Confederate Army of the Peninsula. It provided a field of fire down the Great Warwick Road toward . . . — Map (db m16548) HM
41Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — W-232 — Aviation Field Yorktown
From July 1919 until Aug. 1921, the U.S. Navy operated an aviation training school north of here at what was then known as the U.S. Navy Mine Depot (U.S. Naval Weapons Station). The school provided the first advanced aviation and gunnery operations. . . . — Map (db m10339) HM
42Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Battle of Lee’s Mill (Dam Number 1)April 16, 1862
A stalwart defense of the Warwick River by units of the 15th North Carolina, 7th Georgia and 2nd Louisiana Infantry, C.S.A., commanded by General J.B. Magruder is commemorated here. The defensive line extending across the Virginia Peninsula was held . . . — Map (db m10340) HM
43Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Berdan’s Sharpshooters1862 Peninsula Campaign
From this rifle pit, Colonel Hiram Berdan’s 1st U.S. Sharpshooters targeted Confederate troops on the opposite bank of the Warwick River. Hiram Berdan, considered the nation’s best marksman, organized the regiment from hand-picked volunteers who . . . — Map (db m11270) HM
44Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — C&O "Peninsula Extension"
This plaque, dedicated October 16, 1981, commemorated the one hundredth anniversary of the completion of the "Peninsula Extension" started in December, 1880, at Newport News and in February, 1881, in Richmond. The linkage occurred October 16, 1881, . . . — Map (db m34002) HM
45Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — EndviewHome of the Warwick Beauregards — 1862 Peninsula Campaign —
The white two-and-a-half story frame building in front of you in the distance is Endview. Endview was built circa 1760 by Col. William Harwood, Jr., who was a member of the House of Burgesses, a signer of the Virginia Resolves, and a Warwick County . . . — Map (db m10381) HM
46Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — W-230 — Endview
This traditional farmhouse was probably built for William Harwood around 1769. His great grandson, Dr. Humphrey Harwood Curtis, acquired the plantation in 1858. In May 1861, Dr. Curtis organized the Warwick Beauregards (Company H, 32d Virginia . . . — Map (db m59727) HM
47Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Homestead by the Main Road
Lee Hall Mansion is the only Italianate antebellum plantation house on the lower Peninsula. It was completed in 1859 and was home to Richard D. Lee, justice of the peace for Warwick County. In 1850 Lee purchased a 452-acre tract of land, which was . . . — Map (db m16547) HM
48Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — John Bankhead MagruderMajor General, C S A
U.S. Military Academy graduate, 1830, Virginia-born 'Prince John' Magruder served with distinction in the Mexican War. In 1861 he resigned as Colonel, USA and joined the Confederacy. In the Civil War's first planned battle, his forces were . . . — Map (db m33996) HM
49Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Largest and Most Valuable Estate in the County
In 1844, Richard D. Lee inherited 481.5 acres from his father’s estate. For the next 16 years, Lee improved and expanded his land holdings until he owned 2,100 acres. In 1860, his farm yielded 2,900 bushels of wheat, 3,500 bushels of corn, 1,400 . . . — Map (db m16549) HM
50Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — W-228 — Lebanon Church
The Campbellite congregation now associated with Lebanon Church was established about 1825. These followers of prominent religious leader Alexander Campbell originally shared the Chishiack “Cheesecake” Church in York County with other . . . — Map (db m10338) HM
51Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Lebanon ChurchIn the Line of March — 1862 Peninsula Campaign —
Historic Lebanon Church, located behind you at the intersection of two strategic highways, served both the Confederate and the Union armies during the Civil War. Soon after Confederate Col. John Bankhead Magruder began organizing the Peninsula’s . . . — Map (db m10389) HM
52Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Lee Hall
The village of Lee Hall, built after the arrival of the C & O Railway in the 1880’s, took its name from the fine residence begun in 1848 by Richard Decatur Lee overlooking his extensive Warwick County Plantation. Lee Hall became the headquarters of . . . — Map (db m10257) HM
53Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — W-54 — Lee Hall
Lee Hall, a stately Italianate plantation dwelling, was built by 1859 for affluent planter Richard Decatur Lee. Confederate generals John Bankhead Magruder and Joseph Eggleston Johnston used the mansion as their headquarters during the April – . . . — Map (db m10267) HM
54Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Lee HallSiege Headquarters — 1862 Peninsula Campaign —
The small redoubt in front of you is the only visual evidence of Lee Hall’s military occupation by the Confederate army from May 1861 to May 1862. The antebellum mansion to your right served as a headquarters building for both Maj. Gen. John . . . — Map (db m10376) HM
55Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Lee Hall Depot
The historic Lee Hall Depot was constructed in the 1880s as part of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway’s efforts to establish its Atlantic terminus at Newport News, thereby linking the Ohio River Valley with the sea. The station was sited on Warwick . . . — Map (db m34000) HM
56Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Lee Hall Village
As passenger and freight activity became significant, the village of Lee Hall developed around the depot. Numerous places of business sprang up to support the activity generated by the depot including a schoolhouse, Dozier’s dairy, H.M. Clements’ . . . — Map (db m33999) HM
57Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Master and Slaves
Unlike their ancestors who worked in tobacco fields, Warwick County slaves provided labor for raising staple crops. Slaves also cared for livestock and draft animals, worked in fields, repaired fences, washed clothes, cut wood and performed a . . . — Map (db m16551) HM
58Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — W-70 — Newport News
This area was first referred to a "Newportes Newes" as early as 1619, and the first known English settler lived here in 1621. Several Civil War engagements took place here including the Battle of the Ironclads and the 1862 Peninsula Campaign. . . . — Map (db m33995) HM
59Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Olivet Christian Church
First service was held in a one room school house, one mile and half north of this site, Nov. 2, 1879 The school house was renovated and dedicated Aug. 6, 1882 and named Olivet. The first new building, one half mile north of this site, was . . . — Map (db m34053) HM
60Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — One-Gun Battery1862 Peninsula Campaign
The twelve miles of Confederate defenses followed the course of the Warwick River one mile from Yorktown to Mulberry Island. Dam No. 1, the mid-point, was protected by this one-gun battery mounting a 12-pound howitzer. In addition, a 6-pound . . . — Map (db m11201) HM
61Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Ten Pound Parrott Rifle and Limber
The Civil War Parrott Rifle was a muzzle loaded rifled cannon capable of firing a 10 pound projectile about 3000 yards at 12º elevation. Invented by Robert P. Parrott, the cast iron Parrott Rifle gave greater accuracy and a larger effective range . . . — Map (db m20090) HM
62Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — The CemeteryThe Civil War at Endview — A living history museum —
Located near a circa 1630 house site, this graveyard has held the mortal remains of the Harwood family and other persons since the seventeenth century. Southern plantations typically had a private plot containing the graves of several generations of . . . — Map (db m16564) HM
63Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — The Dairy BuildingThe Civil War at Endview — A living history museum —
In the South, dairy buildings were small structures, usually 14 feet square with a gable roof. The buildings’ overhanging eaves, louvered ventilators, and insulated walls were designed to keep the milk cool inside. Milk was placed in shallow tubs . . . — Map (db m16566) HM
64Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — The Endview SpringThe Civil War at Endview — A living history museum —
The fresh water bubbling from this natural spring has supported wildlife and the various residents on this property: Indian hunting parties, the Harwood/Curtis families, and military encampments. During the American Revolution, General George . . . — Map (db m16563) HM
65Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — The Simon Reid Curtis House
Constructed c. 1896, this graceful frame structure served as the home of Simon Reid and Nannie Cooke Curtis and their two children. The eldest son of Dr. Humphrey Harwood Curtis of Endview, S.R. Curtis was born in North Carolina on June 16, 1863, . . . — Map (db m34001) HM
66Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Third Regiment Vermont Volunteer InfantryApril 16, 1862
(front) Third Regiment Vermont Volunteer Infantry April 16, 1862 (left side) 3rd Regiment Vermont Volunteer Infantry Col. Breed N. Hyde Commanding 1st Brig., Smith's Div. 4th Corps Army of Potomac . . . — Map (db m85966) HM WM
67Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Two USCT HeroesFreedom in Their Bones
Two African American Civil War veterans, Pvt. Edward Diggs and Sgt. Anthony W. Poole, are buried here. Each enlisted in Co. G, 36th U.S. Colored Troops, in Yorktown. Blacks sought to enlist earlier in the war but were banned until after the . . . — Map (db m66890) HM
68Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Warwick County Confederate Monument
1881-Virginia-1865 Unveiled May 27, 1909 to our Gallant Soldiers of the Confederacy Warwick County — Map (db m33998) HM
69Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Warwick Court HouseCamp in the Wilderness — 1862 Peninsula Campaign —
“The office was full of books and papers. Some very old ones that had been written long before the Revolution by King George’s officers. A guard was over them but I was lucky and got a handful of deeds …. I have one written 1669 …. Shortly . . . — Map (db m10387) HM
70Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — Warwick Courthouse
By tradition, early Warwick County court sessions were held under a large elm tree at nearby Richneck Plantation, home of Col. Miles Cary, Jr. In 1810, Warwick’s first brick courthouse was built on this Denbigh site. It also served as clerk’s office . . . — Map (db m11274) HM
71Virginia (Newport News), North Newport News — W-60 — Warwick Courthouse
The clerk’s office was built in 1810, when Warwick Courthouse was moved here. — Map (db m11276) HM
72Virginia (Newport News), Oyster Point — W-65 — Denbigh Parish
Denbigh Parish was established about 1635 and took its name from the nearby Denbigh plantation. During colonial times, the Anglican parish administered ecclesiastical and some civil affairs for the upper portion of Elizabeth City Corporation, later . . . — Map (db m62565) HM
73Virginia (Newport News), Riverside — Captain Christopher Newport(1561 - 1617)
Captain Christopher Newport (1561 - 1617) was an English seaman and privateer who commanded the expedition responsible for the founding of Jamestown in the Virginia Colony in 1607. He was the Captain of the Susan Constant, the largest of the . . . — Map (db m95000) HM
74Virginia (Newport News), Riverside — Leifr Eiriksson
Arriving in the year 1001, Liefr Eiriksson is believed to be the first European to set foot in North America. This sculpture was presented to The Mariners' Museum by the Eiriksson Memorial Committee of the National League of Icelanders in . . . — Map (db m96046) HM
75Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — A Behemoth in the Field
240mm T1 Gun, Watervleit Arsenal, New York, c. 1950, serial number 1. 280mm T72 Gun Carriage, Watertown Arsenal, Massachusetts, c. 1952. WM 87.31.7 a,b The 240mm gun provided a bridge between conventional cannons and atomic cannons. In . . . — Map (db m34004) HM
76Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — A Great Confederate Naval Victory
On March 8, 1862, the day before her epic battle with the U.S.S. Monitor, the Confederate ironclad ram Virginia (formerly the U.S.S. Merrimack) engaged and sank in the James River two powerful Union sailing Ships of War, the U.S.S. Cumberland and . . . — Map (db m10341) HM
77Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — A Nameless GraveBy Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
“A soldier of the Union mustered out,” is the inscription on an unknown grave at Newport News, beside the salt-sea wave, nameless and dateless; sentinel or scout shot down in skirmish, or disastrous rout of battle when the loud artillery . . . — Map (db m16595) HM
78Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Annie Belle Daniels
Madam Annie B. Daniels is known for her untiring humanitarian service and her contributions to the general welfare of the city. Her persuasiveness in working with people of various backgrounds has created greater understanding among diverse groups. . . . — Map (db m94348) HM
79Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Atlantic
With a length of 1,187 feet and a width of 228 feet, U.S.T. Atlantic and its sister ship, U.S.T. Pacific, are the largest ships ever built in the western hemisphere. An ultra large oil carrier, the vessel was delivered to Interstate . . . — Map (db m34023) HM
80Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Birth of Naval Aviation
The value of the aeroplane for the Navy is unquestioned.” – Eugene B. Ely Naval aviation dates from November 14, 1910, when stunt pilot Eugene B. Ely coaxed a Curtiss “Pusher” biplane from the deck of the . . . — Map (db m15420) HM
81Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Camp Alexander
Camp Alexander was created from a portion of Camp Hill between Warwick and Jefferson Avenues on Aug. 15, 1918. Part of the Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation, it quartered Black stevedore regiments and labor battalions. Named for 2nd Lt. John Hawks . . . — Map (db m41250) HM
82Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Camp Hill
Operated by the Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation on land leased from the Old Dominion Land Co. In both World Wars I and II, Camp Hill was named for Confederate Lt. Gen. Ambrose P. Hill, C.S.A. During World War I, its over 200 buildings could house . . . — Map (db m33966) HM
83Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Camp Stuart
In World War 1, Camp Stuart, named for Confederate General 'JEB' Stuart (1833-1864), was America's largest troop handling facility. It was run by Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation July 1917 to Sept. 1919 on 300 acres leased from the Old Dominion . . . — Map (db m33951) HM
84Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Collis Potter Huntingtonas a young man
Born October 22, 1821, Harwinton, Connecticut Died August 13, 1900, “Pine Knot Camp.” New York ---------- • ---------- Sculpted and presented by Anna Hyatt Huntington Dedicated October 22, 1966 Right of Monument: Collis Potter . . . — Map (db m16598) HM
85Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Congress – CumberlandGive Them a Broadside Boys, as She Goes — 1862 Peninsula Campaign —
In this section of the James River directly in front of you lies the remains of the USS Cumberland. At this location and along the shore to your left were the Union batteries that protected Camp Butler. On March 8, 1862, the Confederate . . . — Map (db m41507) HM
86Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Consolidation
(seal) Consolidation of Newport News Virginia, 1958 Near this site on July 1, 1958, Mrs. Philip W. Hiden and Mrs. Homer L. Ferguson, assisted by Shipyard Board Chairman J. B. Woodward, Jr., cut the ribbon marking the . . . — Map (db m110254) HM
87Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Copeland - Newsome Park
To provide emergency housing for war workers and their families during World War II, the U.S. government constructed a combined 5,200 unit project at Copeland and Newsome Park in 1943 on 1,174 acres between Briarfield Road and 39th Street. This . . . — Map (db m94335) HM
88Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Curtiss Flying School
Aviation pioneer Glenn H. Curtiss sponsored the Atlantic Coast Aeronautical Station on a 20-acre tract east of Newport News Boat Harbor in the fall of 1915 with Capt. Thomas Scott Baldwin as head. Many civilian students, including Canadians, later . . . — Map (db m33952) HM
89Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Dorothy
Launched in 1890, the tugboat Dorothy was the first ship built by Newport News Shipbuilding. After a long career, Dorothy was brought home and refurbished in 1976 to stand on the Shipyard grounds as a tribute to the company’s . . . — Map (db m34024) HM
90Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Dorothy & Newport News Shipbuilding
The 90-foot tugboat Dorothy, Hull Number One, was delivered by Newport News Shipbuilding in 1891. As Dorothy plied her trade over the next 73 years, her reputation for dependability became a maritime legend. The little tugboat was recognized . . . — Map (db m34029) HM
91Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Dorothy – Hull Number One
The first vessel constructed by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company was delivered in April, 1891. The 90-foot iron tugboat was designed by Horace See and built near present-day Dry Dock 2. Named for the daughter of former Secretary . . . — Map (db m34028) HM
92Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — W 70-a — Ella Fitzgerald(1917-1996)
Born here in Newport News 25 Apr. 1917, Ella Fitzgerald, known as Lady Ella or the First Lady of Song, was considered one of the most influential jazz vocalists of the 20th century. Her three-octave vocal range and improvisational ability in scat . . . — Map (db m98280) HM
93Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Ferguson Park
To provide emergency accommodation for shipbuilders on the eve of World War II, the U. S. Navy set up a 5,000 person housing development in 1940 on 68 acres between Warwick Road and James River. The first tenants moved into 100 prefab buildings in . . . — Map (db m33968) HM
94Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Ferguson Park
To provide emergency accommodation for shipbuilders on the eve of World War II, the U. S. Navy set up a 5,000 person housing development in 1940 on 68 acres between Warwick Road and James River. The first tenants moved into 100 prefab buildings in . . . — Map (db m33969) HM
95Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Four Heroic Chaplains
Honoring the Four Heroic Chaplains of World War II who gave their lives so that others could live when the S.S. Dorchester sank off Greenland February 3, 1943 Lt. G.L. Fox Protestant Lt. J.D. Washington Catholic . . . — Map (db m34043) HM
96Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — W 102 — George W. Carver High School
African American residents of Warwick County campaigned for new public schools to replace inadequate, overcrowded facilities in the 1930s and 1940s. In 1949 the county opened Carver High School, constructed here at a cost of more than $500,000. The . . . — Map (db m129922) HM
97Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Gregory Cherry1955-2007
Gregory Cherry was a man whose love for Newport News and the Southeast Community expressed itself in many ways. He served in the United States Army as an NCO Congressional Escort and in the prestigious Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps. He returned to . . . — Map (db m98281) HM
98Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Hampton RoadsWorld’s Largest Natural Harbor
Preface: Newport News was a small community located in Warwick County until late in the 19th century. Established as a town in 1880, it was incorporated as a city in 1896. Warwick County, one of the eight original Virginia shires formed by . . . — Map (db m13945) HM
99Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Heading OutCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
(panel 1) Looking across the James here on June 2, 1608, you might have seen a strange sight. A large vessel sailed past with a smaller vessel in tow—neither resembling the canoes used by native people on this river. The . . . — Map (db m98385) HM
100Virginia (Newport News), South Newport News — Headquarters, Hampton RoadsPort of Embarkation, U. S. Army
The splendid natural harbor of Hampton Roads served the nation as a military port of embarkation in the Spanish American War and two World Wars. In World War 1, headquarters were set up at Newport News on July 11, 1917, and vast shipments of troops . . . — Map (db m33953) HM

139 entries matched your criteria. The first 100 are listed above. The final 39 ⊳
 
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 28, 2020