Miami & Erie Canal, Deep Cut
You are on that section of the Miami and Erie Canal where the greatest excavation was made – a section that has been known over the years as “Deep Cut.” The huge ditch, 6,600 feet long and 5 to . . . — Map (db m22848) HM
Miami – Erie Canal
From 1845 to about 1906 barges pulled by horses provided transportation from the Ohio River to Lake Erie through a system of locks which raised or lowered boats to the next level of the canal.
Locks often became . . . — Map (db m22933) HM
During the canal years of the 1850's a rivalry grew between Bill Jones and Jack Billings for the love of Minnie Warren. This became hatred by Bill because Minnie chose Jack. On a fall night in 1854, returning from a party, Minnie and Jack were . . . — Map (db m80159) HM
Constructed in 1864, this is the oldest cast iron "bowstring girder" bridge in Ohio. Originally part of a three-span structure over the Auglaize River in Wapakoneta, the bridge was moved to Moulton Angle Road north of New Knoxville in 1904. In 1984, . . . — Map (db m22947) HM
The Miami Erie Canal, built 1825-1845, 244.5 miles long, was a transporter of passengers and freight between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. This section is Loramie Summit., a 21 mile plateau of water retained by Lock 1-N (this marker) and Lock 1-S at . . . — Map (db m22946) HM
The Lockkeeper's House was the residence of the Lockkeeper and his family. The Lockkeeper was on duty 24 hours a day, seven days per week, and was responsible for operating the lock as needed to move boats through the . . . — Map (db m22781) HM
Lock One North is one of 105 locks used to raise and lower boats traveling between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. Large wooden gates were built at each end of the lock to hold water in the lock. A boat, pulled by a team of . . . — Map (db m23062) HM
The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen
Begun in 1833, the Miami Extension linked the Miami Canal in Dayton to the Wabash & Erie Canal at Junction. Engineering difficulties, epidemics and the Panic of 1837 delayed completion of the Extension . . . — Map (db m20023) HM
To the left is the "Short Level" of the Miami and Erie Canal. The canal extension from Dayton to Toledo was completed in 1837. Linking the Great Lakes to the Ohio River. Travel took only five days to Toledo and six days to Cincinnati. The canal . . . — Map (db m29673) HM
Port Middletown, located at Third St. (Central Ave.), was the main port along the Miami & Erie Canal. A scale was located there and tolls were collected.
[Photos] Left, a fire in 1881 at the Ben Smith Livery at Port Middletown has just been . . . — Map (db m30418) HM
This marker is on the trunk line of both the Miami & Erie Canal and the Wabash & Erie Canal. The Miami & Erie Canal, built by Ohio, was begun on July 21, 1825 and completed in 1845. It connected the Ohio River at Cincinnati with Lake Erie at Toledo. . . . — Map (db m19438) HM
The Miami and Erie Canal
———— • ————
Over this site once flowed the Miami and
Erie Canal, linking the Ohio River with the
Maumee and Lake Erie. The canal was opened
in 1827 and was finally . . . — Map (db m43960) HM
The Side Cut section of the Miami and Erie Canal was completed in 1842 to provide a water connection from the canal down to the river at Maumee. It was two miles long with six limestone locks.
Canal locks acted like elevators to raise and lower . . . — Map (db m28568) HM
The Wabash & Erie Canal opened between Toledo and Lafayette, Indiana, May 8, 1843. The Miami Extension Canal was completed to Junction, Ohio, on July 4, 1845, linking the Wabash & Erie Canal with Cincinnati and resulting in changing the canal’s name . . . — Map (db m19574) HM
The original northernmost lock in a canal system which linked Lake Erie with the Ohio River was located near the foot of LaSalle Street. Indiana’s Wabash & Erie Canal (1843 – 1874) . . . — Map (db m19439) HM
[Front Side of Marker]:"The Toledo Zoo"
Now ranked among the country's finest, the zoo began in 1900 with one large woodchuck in a box at Walbridge Park. After the organization of the Toledo Zoological Society, 1905-10, the zoo began . . . — Map (db m41959) HM
The first canal boat arrived in Toledo from Indiana in 1843 via the Wabash & Erie Canal. The Miami & Erie Canal from Cincinnati was completed in 1845. It joined the W&E Canal near Defiance and they shared the same course . . . — Map (db m19474) HM
East Side of Marker:
"John Pray - Founder of Waterville, Ohio"
Born in Rhode Island, John Pray (1783-1872) moved to the Maumee River Valley from New York shortly after serving in the War of 1812 and completing a . . . — Map (db m30795) HM
Grand Lake St. Marys was constructed between 1837 and 1845
as a feeder reservoir for the Miami and Erie Canal. The
reservoir provided a constant source of water for the
canal through a feeder canal located at the eastern
embankment of the lake. . . . — Map (db m83247) HM
Completed in 1837, the limestone lock nine served as a catalyst for the growth of Piqua. The lock helped connect the village to Cincinnati (1837) and Toledo (1845) by way of the Miami and Erie Canal. German immigrants traveled up the canal from . . . — Map (db m17277) HM
This section of the Miami and Erie Canal, constructed from 1833-1837, was vital to this region's commerce and development. It allowed for farmers and businesses to get their goods to larger markets at a lower cost and faster . . . — Map (db m18385) HM
The Village of Tadmor
The Village of Tadmor is significant as being the location of one of the most important centers of transportation in early Ohio history. As early as 1809, keelboats were poled up river from Dayton to load and unload . . . — Map (db m97813) HM
On this site, the Miami and Erie Canal, that came north from Cincinnati and the Ohio River, intersected with the Wabash and Erie Canal that came from Fort Wayne and Evansville, Indiana. From this point, which became the town of Junction, the canals . . . — Map (db m27250) HM
Construction began July 1825, opening navigation between Cincinnati and Toledo, Ohio in 1845 and encouraging settlement in the Black Swamp.
Built in segments, the Canal extended 248.8 miles, joining the Ohio River and Lake Erie. The segment . . . — Map (db m69005) HM
This marker is on the right-of-way of the Old Miami and Erie Canal which ran from the Ohio River at Cincinnati to Lake Erie at Toledo. Gov. DeWitt Clinton of New York broke ground for the canal on July 21, 1825 just below Middletown. Built in . . . — Map (db m20039) HM
Built between 1825 and 1845, this series of locks raised and lowered canal boats a total of 67 feet. The upper lock, near the "Loramie Summit," is the high point between Cincinnati and Toledo. Five of the original locks are along the trail; the . . . — Map (db m19946) HM
The town of Providence was born, thrived and died with the Miami & Erie Canal. It was platted in 1835 by French trader Peter Manor, swept by fire in 1846, ravaged by cholera in 1854, and finally unincorporated in 1928. Today, only the Irish . . . — Map (db m28397) HM