Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Historical Markers

Scores of markers placed by the Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission to commemorate the state's rich Civil War history.
 
Van Winkle's Mill Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., November 1, 2015
Van Winkle's Mill Marker
Arkansas (Benton County), Rogers — 83 — Van Winkle's Mill

Peter Van Winkle’s saw mill cut lumber for Confederate soldiers’ winter quarters at Cross Hollow and Oxford Bend in early 1862. Gen. Earl Van Dorn’s Confederates used the mill to grind corn after their March 1862 defeat at Pea Ridge, and . . . — Map (db m90738) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — 18 — Civil War Healing
The Eureka Springs area's reputation as a health resort has its origins in the Civil War. Late 19th-century accounts claim Dr. Alvah Jackson treated sick and wounded soldiers during the war. In early 1865, Maj. J. W. Cooper, who led Confederate . . . — Map (db m59967) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — 79 — Lakeport in the Civil War
Side 1 When Arkansas went to war in 1861, Lycurgus and Lydia Johnson and their family stayed with their home at Lakeport. By 1862, U.S. gunboats were common on the Mississippi River, and on Sept. 6, 1862, Confederate troops burned 158 . . . — Map (db m89797) HM
Arkansas (Clark County), Caddo Valley — 65 — Confederate Manufacturing / The Military Road
(Side One) Confederate Manufacturing Arkadelphia was a manufacturing center for Confederate Arkansas early in the Civil War. Gen. Thomas Hindman established a powder works and an arsenal in 1862, producing guns, cannon, bullets, . . . — Map (db m96557) HM
Arkansas (Conway County), Plummerville — 100 — Conway County in the Civil War / Murder of John Clayton
Side 1 Conway County in the Civil War Conway County men served in both the Union and Confederate armies in the Civil War. Co. I, 1st Arkansas Mounted Rifles, Co. B, Carroll’s Cavalry, Co. I, 36th Arkansas Infantry, . . . — Map (db m96451) HM
Arkansas (Drew County), Monticello — 91 — Drew County Troops
(side 1) Sixteen Confederate companies were raised in Drew County during the Civil War. Two, the "Confederate Stars" and "Selma Rifles," joined the 3rd Arkansas Infantry and fought with the Army of Northern Virginia. Three, the "Cut-off . . . — Map (db m85087) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — 82 — Cadron in the Civil War
Confederate forces used Cadron as a base in the war’s early years, and Union troops were here after taking Little Rock in September 1863. The site was valuable for the saw and grist mills nearby, the telegraph line that ran to Little Rock, and the . . . — Map (db m96452) HM
Arkansas (Independence County), Batesville — 14 — Batesville During The Civil War
Union soldiers occupied Batesville twice during the Civil War. Gen. Samuel Curtis's Army of the Southwest camped near this site in May 1862 while threatening Little Rock. Union troops were impressed with the town's culture and appearance, saying . . . — Map (db m70557) HM
Arkansas (Johnson County), Clarksville — 103 — Clarksville in the Civil War / Depredations
Side 1 Clarksville in the Civil War Clarksville was a key point in the defense of the Arkansas River Valley during the Civil War. Confederate troops occupied the town several times before Union forces took Little Rock . . . — Map (db m96447) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Carlisle — 90 — Action at Ashley's Station
On Aug. 24, 1864, Confederate Gen. J.O. Shelby and his men, wearing captured Union uniforms, attacked a series of forts protecting hay-cutting operations between modern-day Carlisle and Hazen. Confederate artillery blasted the forts held by the 54th . . . — Map (db m96453) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — 16 — Hicks' Station in the Civil War
Hicks' Station, located on the Memphis & Little Rock Railroad between DeValls Bluff and Huntersville (N Little Rock), guarded the eastern approaches to the capital city. During the Little Rock Campaign, Confederate cavalry used it as a staging area . . . — Map (db m72142) HM WM
Arkansas (Miller County), Rondo — 7 — Confederate Records Stored at Rondo
When Gen. Frederick Steele's Union army invaded southwest Arkansas in April 1864, threatening the Confederate state capital at Washington, Gov. Harris Flanagin moved the state archives to Rondo, where they were deposited in James Abraham's store. . . . — Map (db m96022) HM
Arkansas (Nevada County), Prescott — 45 — Skirmishes at Prairie D'Ane
Gen. Sterling Price’s Confederate army held strong earthworks on the western edge of Prairie D’Ane when Gen. Frederick Steele’s Union troops approached on April 10, 1864, and dug their own trenches. After heavy fighting on the 10th, the combatants . . . — Map (db m96559) HM
Arkansas (Ouachita County), Chidester — 25 — 1st Kansas Colored Infantry
The 1st Kansas Colored Infantry, a regiment that included many former Arkansas slaves, was formed in August 1862, the first black unit recruited during the war. 1st Kansas troops were the first black men to see combat, losing 10 killed and 12 . . . — Map (db m56624) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Fort Curtis
In August 1862 the Union forces occupying Helena erected on this site a redoubt of earth and timbers to serve as the key to the city’s defenses. Fort Curtis, named for the Union general in command at the time of construction, was one of five . . . — Map (db m51919) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Helena, Arkansas
At this site on the southern tip of Crowley’s Ridge, Indians of the Hopewell Culture lived about 500 B.C. Evidences of their settlements still remain in mounds nearby. In 1541 when Hernando De Soto crossed the river near here, he found the Casqui . . . — Map (db m51910) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Sacred Heart Academy
In 1858 a boarding school and convent was established on this site in the former residence of Col. Henry L. Biscoe by four Sisters of Mercy who came from Ireland with Bishop Andrew Byrne. The school was in the middle of heavy fighting during the . . . — Map (db m51905) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — 2 — DeValls Bluff in the Civil War
DeValls Bluff was strategically important to both the Union and Confederate armies as a major White River port and as head of the Memphis and Little Rock Railroad. It became a key Union supply depot after its fall 1863 occupation, as well as a haven . . . — Map (db m96455) HM
Arkansas (Prairie County), DeValls Bluff — 41 — Memphis and Little Rock Railroad
The Memphis and Little Rock Railroad was the first railroad to run in Arkansas. It was chartered in 1853, but when the Civil War began, only two sections were complete. One, running from DeValls Bluff to north of Little Rock, was finished in January . . . — Map (db m96454) HM
Arkansas (Saline County), Benton — 92 — 11th Arkansas Infantry, C.S.A.
The 11th Arkansas Infantry organized at Benton in July 1861 and Saline County men served in 6 of its 10 companies. The 11th was captured in the Island No. 10 campaign in April 1862 and spent 5 months in Union prisons, later serving in Louisiana and . . . — Map (db m96586) HM
Arkansas (Saline County), Benton — 87 — Saline County in the Civil War
Saline County held 6,640 people in 1860, including 749 slaves. Jabez M. Smith, the county’s secession convention delegate, voted to leave the Union. The Saline Guards formed in 1861 and became Co. E, 1st Arkansas Infantry (C.S.). Their captain, . . . — Map (db m96592) HM
Arkansas (Saline County), Benton — 77 — Saline County Records
As Gen. Frederick Steele’s Union army marched toward Little Rock in the summer of 1863, Saline County officials feared their records would be seized or destroyed. They met Aug. 31, 1863, and saying the Union “function is to cut up, mutilate, . . . — Map (db m96593) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — 15 — Confederate [and] Union Occupation of Fort Smith

[Side A] On April 23, 1861, the U.S. garrison at Fort Smith abandoned the post as Confederate militiamen approached. Fort Smith became an important recruiting and training center for Confederate forces in west Arkansas. Troops from Fort . . . — Map (db m57916) HM

Arkansas (Washington County), Cane Hill — The Battle of Cane Hill Arkansas
Late in November 1862, Gen. John S. Marmaduke with 2,000 cavalry occupied Cane Hill Ridge. Gen. James G. Blunt with 5,000 cavalry and infantry and 30 pieces of artillery met them at dawn Nov. 28, 1862. Retreating slowly, making stands at . . . — Map (db m66696) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement