Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Prince Edward Island

 
East Point Marker • <i>wide view<br>(Elmira Railway Museum in left background)</i> image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, July 16, 2019
East Point Marker • wide view
(Elmira Railway Museum in left background)
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Elmira — East Point
Near Elmira Road 1.6 kilometers south of Northside Road (Prince Edward Island Route 16), on the right when traveling south.
English: The eastern terminus of the Confederation Trail is Elmira. It is a further nine kilometres by road to East Point, the eastern tip of land. The site is dominated by an octagonal white lighthouse built in 1867. Exceeding 19 . . . — Map (db m141202) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Elmira — ElmiraThe End of the Line / La Fin de la Ligne Ferroviaire
Near Elmira Road 1.6 kilometers south of Northside Road (Prince Edward Island Route 16), on the right when traveling south.
English: The Elmira Branch of the P.E.I. Railway opened for business on 26 October 1912, one of the last expansions of rail service in the province. The terminus at Elmira was similar to other "ends," with an engine house and . . . — Map (db m141203) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Elmira — Elmira Railway Museum / Musée ferroviaire d’Elmira
Near Elmira Road 1.6 kilometers south of Northside Road (Prince Edward Island Route 16), on the right when traveling south.
English: Elmira became the new eastern terminus of the P.E.I. Railway in 1912 when the main line was extended from Harmony. The early decades of the 1900s were the last period of expansion for the provincial railway. They were . . . — Map (db m141204) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Elmira — The Original Fog Alarm BuildingLe « Fog Alarm Building »
Near Lighthouse Road 2 kilometers east of East Point Road (Prince Edward Island Route 16), on the right when traveling east.
English: The original fog alarm building was added to the East Point Light Station in 1885 as a navigational aid. It was replaced in 1908 with a larger building at a cost of $8000.00, and remains one of the few intact fog alarm . . . — Map (db m140620) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Georgetown — Georgetown War Memorial
Near Georgetown Road near Grafton Street, on the left.
To the glorious memory of our native sons who paid the supreme sacrifice in the two World Wars. 1914 — 1918 Our Honoured Dead Stephen F. Cherry • John P. Dalton • Martin P. Dalton • John W. Lavers • Temple W. Macdonald, M.C. . . . — Map (db m80294) WM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Georgetown — Georgetown’s New Railway StationNouvelle gare ferroviaire de Georgetown
On Richmond Street just from West Street, on the left when traveling west.
English: The railway and the steamship lines serving Prince Edward Island became major drivers to a new industry which became known as tourism. Realizing soon after the railway was open for service in 1875 that more and more of their . . . — Map (db m80298) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Georgetown — The Honorable Andrew Archibald (A.A.) Macdonald
Near Georgetown Road just from Grafton Street, on the left when traveling south.
English: The Honorable Andrew Archibald (A.A.) Macdonald was born February 14, 1829 in Three Rivers. He carried on the family business in Georgetown until called to serve in the Legislature. He was in Ottawa, a member of the . . . — Map (db m80295) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Georgetown — Three RiversLes trois rivières — Samkook —
On Richmond Street just from West Street, on the right when traveling west.
English: The Three Rivers - Montague, Brudenell, and Cardigan - wind through towns, villages and communities in Kings County, draining into Cardigan Bay, known to the Mi’Kmaq people as Samkook (sandy shore). One of the first French . . . — Map (db m80296) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — Havre Saint Pierre
Near Prince Edward Island Route 313.
Established in 1720, Havre Saint Pierre was once the largest settlement in the colony of Isle Saint Jean. On a summer day in the 1730s this was a busy place. Here - a fleet of tiny shallops, sails snapping as they set out for the . . . — Map (db m139397) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — Mussel Power/Les moules plus d'une utilité
Near Prince Edward Island Route 313.
The bottom of the bay is like a giant compost bin. Seaweed and shellfish collect here when they die, and form a thick, black mud. The decomposing shells create high lime content, making "mussel mud” a perfect fertilizer for the . . . — Map (db m139444) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — St. Peters
Near Prince Edward Island Route 313.
Early British settlers were more interested in farming than in fishing. By the early 1800s, a small village began to grow farther inland. Here the bay was narrow and easily crossed - first by ferry, later by bridge. St. Peters . . . — Map (db m139407) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — The Sanderson Farm/La ferme Sanderson
Near Prince Edward Island Route 313.
It is believed that Charles Sanderson started farming here around 1820. Until the farm was sold in the early 197os, different generations of Sandersons cared for this land. Always mindful of the ever-changing sand dunes, they helped . . . — Map (db m139448) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Murray Harbour — Murray Harbour War Memorial
On Main Street (Prince Edward Island Route 18) just north of Cape Bear Road (Prince Edward Island Route 18A), on the right when traveling south.
In grateful tribute to the living and the dead who through their valiant efforts and bitter sacrifice have made Canada great is this shrine dedicated Killed in action or died in service War of 1914-1918 Gordon Mackay Clarence Reynolds . . . — Map (db m139450) WM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Murray Harbour — The “Harbour” / Le « Harbour »
On Main Street (Prince Edward Island Route 18) just north of Westview Drive, on the right when traveling west.
English: Murray Harbour began to achieve status as an important PEI port in the late 1700s. The earliest settlers in the area sustained themselves by fishing and farming but John Cambridge, the proprietor of Lot 64, was actively . . . — Map (db m140239) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Bedeque — James Colledge Pope1826-1885
On Woodside Shore Road north of Prince Edward Island Route 112, on the left when traveling north.
English: James Colledge Pope was born in Bedeque. A successful merchant and shipbuilder, he entered political life in 1857. Premier of the Island on two previous occasions (1865-7 and 1870-2), he again assumed that office in April, 1873, and . . . — Map (db m137724) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Kensington — Kensington Station / Gare de Kensington
On Broadway Street North (Prince Edward Island Route 20) just north of Commercial Street, on the left when traveling north.
English: In 1871 the Colony of Prince Edward Island embarked upon the construction of a circuitous 147-mile railway covering the 120-mile distance between Georgetown and Alberton. The high cost of building the line added . . . — Map (db m139700) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Kinkora — Agriculture in Kinkora / L’agriculture à Kinkora
Near Anderson Road (Prince Edward Island Route 225) just east of Somerset Street (Prince Edward Island Route 109), on the right when traveling east.
English: The first settlers in Kinkora were farmers. The community that developed has depended upon agriculture ever since. After the Dominion Government launched a dairy initiative in 1891, Kinkora responded and in 1900 opened a . . . — Map (db m141171) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Kinkora — Kinkora
Near Anderson Road (Prince Edward Island Route 225) just east of Somerset Street (Prince Edward Island Route 109), on the right when traveling east.
English: The poetry of Ireland is immediately evident in a name that explains much about the community in and around the village. Building the Anderson Road in 1832 opened up the district for farming. Irish families, experienced . . . — Map (db m141170) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — La Convention nationale des Acadiens de 1884The National Acadian Convention of 1884
Near Lady Slipper Drive North (Prince Edward Island Route 12) 0.1 kilometers north of Main Drive East (Veteran's Memorial Highway) (Prince Edward Island Route 2), on the right when traveling north.
Français: Du 13 au 15 août 1884, Miscouche est la scène de la deuxième Convention nationale des Acadiens. Quelque 150 délégués officiels des trois provinces Maritimes se réunissent pour poursuivre les discussions entamées en 1881 . . . — Map (db m142398) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — La Fanfare de MiscoucheThe Miscouche Band
On Main Drive East (Veteran's Memorial Highway) (Prince Edward Island Route 2) just east of Lady Slipper Drive North (Prince Edward Island Route 12), on the left when traveling east.
Français: Fondée en 1889 par le curé de la paroisse, la Fanfare de Miscouche constitue une institution culturelle importante pour la communauté. Elle porte d'abord le nom Heckman Band en l'honneur du dentiste local qui fit un don . . . — Map (db m142400) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — La fondation de MiscoucheThe Founding of Miscouche
Near Main Drive East (Veteran's Memorial Highway) (Prince Edward Island Route 2) 0.2 kilometers east of Lady Slipper Drive North (Prince Edward Island Route 12), on the left when traveling east.
Français: Vers 1808, des familles écossaises catholiques, les Steele, McNeil et Gillis, sont les premières à s'établir dans l'emplacement actuel de Miscouche. En 1816, un groupe de familles acadiennes, qui habite la baie de . . . — Map (db m142394) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — Le Couvent Saint-Joseph et les religieuses de la Congrégation de Notre-DameSaint Joseph's Convent and the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame
Near Lady Slipper Drive North (Prince Edward Island Route 12) 0.1 kilometers north of Main Drive East (Veteran's Memorial Highway) (Prince Edward Island Route 2), on the right when traveling north.
Français: Le Couvent Saint-Joseph a la particularité d'avoir été le premier couvent-école dans une paroisse acadienne à l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard et au Nouveau-Brunswick. Ouvert en 1864, et agrandi en 1922, il est placé sous la . . . — Map (db m142399) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — L'économieThe Economy
On Lady Slipper Drive North (Prince Edward Island Route 12) just north of Main Drive East (Veteran's Memorial Highway) (Prince Edward Island Route 2), on the right when traveling north.
Français: En 1890, la paroisse de Miscouche compte 683 Acadiens francophones et 137 anglophones, principalement d'origine écossaise. La majorité des paroissiens vivent sur la ferme, bien que les activités économiques sont assez . . . — Map (db m142396) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — L'Église Saint-Jean-BaptisteSaint John the Baptist Church
On Lady Slipper Drive North (Prince Edward Island Route 12) just north of Main Drive East (Veteran's Memorial Highway) (Prince Edward Island Route 2), on the right when traveling north.
Français: La première église paroissiale a été construite en 1819. L'église actuelle, la troisième, a été érigée en 1891-92 selon les plans de l'architecte insulaire George Edwin Baker, pendant la cure du père John A. MacDonald. . . . — Map (db m142397) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — Les Acadiens de la baie de MalpèqueThe Acadians of Malpeque Bay
Near Main Drive East (Veteran's Memorial Highway) (Prince Edward Island Route 2) 0.2 kilometers east of Lady Slipper Drive North (Prince Edward Island Route 12), on the left when traveling east.
Français: Le premier établissement acadien sur les rives de la baie de Malpèque remonte à 1728. Il était situé du côté ouest là où se trouve aujourd’hui la région de Port Hill. En 1752, cette communauté agricole comptait 32 . . . — Map (db m142401) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — Les Dix Conventions Nationales AcadiennesThe Ten Acadian National Conventions
On Main Drive East (Veteran's Memorial Highway) (Prince Edward Island Route 2) 0.2 kilometers east of Lady Slipper Drive North (Prince Edward Island Route 12), on the left when traveling east.
Français: De 1881 à 1937, les conventions ont favorisé l’éveil du sentiment national et l’affirmation du peuple acadien. Organisées par la Société nationale de l'Assomption, elles ont joué un rôle important dans la sauvegarde du . . . — Map (db m140000) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — L'évolution du village de MiscoucheThe Evolution of the Village of Miscouche
On Main Drive East (Veteran's Memorial Highway) (Prince Edward Island Route 2) just east of Lady Slipper Drive North (Prince Edward Island Route 12), on the left when traveling east.
Français: La Base militaire de Summerside a eu un impact important sur la vie socio-économique de Miscouche pendant les 50 années de son existence (1941-1991). De nombreux paroissiens y ont trouvé de l'emploi et la communauté . . . — Map (db m142395) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — Former Summerside Post Office / L'Ancien Bureau de Poste de Summerside
On Summer Street just north of Fitzroy Street, on the left when traveling south.
English: This structure, built 1883-1886, was designed under the direction of Thomas Fuller who served as Chief Architect of the Department of Public Works from 1881 to 1896. This basic design with a double entrance, steep roof, . . . — Map (db m139466) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — Georgina Fane Pope1862-1938
On Summer Street just south of Fitzroy Street, on the left when traveling south.
English: Born in Charlottetown, Georgina Pope chose nursing as a career. After training and working in the United States, she was selected in 1899 to superintend Canada’s military nurses in the South African War. She was the first . . . — Map (db m139478) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — Salute to the Prince Edward Island Railway
On Water Street (Prince Edward Island Route 11) at Granville Street, on the right when traveling east on Water Street.
The Prince Edward Island Railway began operating in 1875. Its establishment was accomplished largely through the efforts of two Summerside brothers, James Colledge Pope, who was Premier when the Railway Bill was passed in 1871, and William Henry . . . — Map (db m141019) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — The Railway Station
On Granville Street just south of Water Street (Prince Edward Island Route 11), on the left when traveling south.
The Prince Edward Island Railway was established in 1871. By 1874 there were 70 stations across the Island, including an open-ended "Terminal" Station about a mile north of the Summerside harbour. A track ran down to the waterfront where the . . . — Map (db m141017) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — The Summerside Armoury
On Summer Street south of Fitzroy Street, on the left when traveling south.
The Summerside Armoury has been a landmark on Summer Street since 1911. An Armoury is a military structure where arms, ammunition and military equipment are stored. It serves as the headquarters for a militia, a volunteer army made up of local . . . — Map (db m139479) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Belfast — A Lighthouse is Born / La Naissance du Phare
Near Point Prim Road (Prince Edward Island Route 209) 11 kilometers west of Trans-Canada Highway (National Route 1).
English: Despite its initial success, the Prince Edward Island Steam Navigation Company and its vessel, the St. George, ran into difficulties. Even with investments from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, steamboats were . . . — Map (db m140249) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Belfast — Point Prim Lighthouse / Le Phare de Point PrimA Lighthouse to Call Our Own / Un Phare Bien à Nous
Near Point Prim Road (Prince Edward Island Route 209) 11 kilometers west of Trans-Canada Highway (National Route 1).
English: Prince Edward Island's contribution to Nova Scotia's lighthouses inspired the question: What about building a lighthouse here? Petitions for lighthouses began to appear before government by the late 1830s. Concerned . . . — Map (db m140246) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Belfast — Reliable Communication / Des Communications FiablesSamuel Cunard, Mail Delivery / Samuel Cunard, la Livraison de la Poste — Prince Edward Island Steam Navigation Company —
Near Point Prim Road (Prince Edward Island Route 209) 11 kilometers west of Trans-Canada Highway (National Route 1).
English: At the same time that the Island was grappling with the issue of lighthouses, it found itself dealing with an issue of a different sort: Mail delivery. Mail delivery was very important, representing the Island's . . . — Map (db m140247) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Belfast — The 1864 Charlottetown Conference / La Conférence de Charlottetown de 1864Lighting the Way / Un Feu qui Nous Guide
Near Point Prim Road (Prince Edward Island Route 209) 11 kilometers west of Trans-Canada Highway (National Route 1).
English: Late in the summer of 1864, two events descended upon the city of Charlottetown. One was a circus; the other, a political conference. Of the two, it was the circus that captured the attention of Islanders. But it was the . . . — Map (db m140250) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Belfast — The Early Years / Les Premières Années
Near Point Prim Road (Prince Edward Island Route 209) 11 kilometers west of Trans-Canada Highway (National Route 1).
English: Imagine being aboard a ship on a dark, stormy night. The wind is howling fiercely, pushing large waves over the sides of your vessel. You are at the mercy of the elements. Picture a lack of navigational aids, creating a . . . — Map (db m140245) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Canoe Cove — Canoe Cove School
On Canoe Cove Road (Prince Edward Island Route 19A) just north of Prince Edward Island Route 19, on the left when traveling north.
The School For more than a century the Canoe Cove School provided state-of-the-art education to students grades one through ten. This sturdy heritage building launched the successful careers of doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, . . . — Map (db m139457) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsHistory of the Cavendish Area/Histoire de la région de Cavendish.
Near Gulf Shore Parkway West.
History of the Cavendish Area. There is archaeological evidence that ancestors of the present-day Mi’kmaq lived on the shores of nearby New London Bay. It is very likely these early Islanders would have travelled here to hunt, . . . — Map (db m139369) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsWreck of the Marco Polo/L'épave du Marco Polo
Near Gulf Shore Parkway West.
25 July, 1883. Thanks to a weekend of violent storms there is a heavy sea running. A few farmers watch with astonishment as a magnificent sailing vessel, driven by a mountain of canvas, slams onto the Cavendish sandbars. The air iš alive . . . — Map (db m139391) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsSea Stories/Légendes de la mer
Near Gulf View Parkway West.
Sea Stories From the first peoples through modern times, the fishery has been vital to the people living along this shore. As Lucy Maud Montgomery remembered: Many of the farmers had a fishing house on the shore field of their . . . — Map (db m139429) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsCavendish and Tourism/Cavendish et le tourisme
Toward the end of the 1800s, Prince Edward Island became known as an excellent vacation spot. Its clean air, rural landscapes and beautiful beaches were offered to travellers made weary by the stress of urban life. By the 1920s, thanks . . . — Map (db m139431) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Lucy Maud Montgomery(1874 - 1942)
Near Cavendish Road (Prince Edward Island Route 6) just from Prince Edward Island Route 13, on the right when traveling east.
English: Internationally renowned author, Lucy Maud Montgomery was born in New London, Prince Edward Island. After her mother's death in 1876, she lived with her maternal grandparents in Cavendish until 1911, when she married and moved to . . . — Map (db m80283) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — A BIG Year / Une année CRUCIALE
Near Grafton Street at Great George Street, on the right when traveling north.
English: 1864 was an important year in Charlottetown. The Charlottetown Conference, held in September, gave delegates from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and the colony of Canada one week to meet, share ideas, . . . — Map (db m141114) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — A Neoclassical Design / Un style néoclassique
On Grafton Street at Great George Street, on the right when traveling east on Grafton Street.
English: A Neoclassical Design Have you ever noticed that the building's design, including features such as columns and windows, is pleasingly symmetrical? This is one of the features that make Province House a fine example of . . . — Map (db m137659) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — All Souls’ Chapel
On Rochford Street just from All Souls' Lane, on the right when traveling north.
English: This 1888 chapel, designed by William Critchlow Harris, Jr., is a masterful example of High Victorian Gothic Revival architecture in Canada. Its robust design is distinguished by rough textures in rust-red Prince Edward Island . . . — Map (db m80226) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Andrew Archibald Macdonald1829 - 1912
Near Richmond Street near Great George Street.
English: Born at Three Rivers, Brudenell Point, Macdonald, a merchant and shipbuilder, served as a member of the Legislative Assembly (1853-58) and of the Legislative Council (1867-72). He attended the Charlottetown and Quebec Conferences . . . — Map (db m80271) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Andrew's Millpond
On Veterans Memorial Highway (St. Peters Road) (Prince Edward Island Route 2) just south of Oakland Drive, on the left when traveling south.
In 1786 John Cambridge purchased approximately 300 acres along Wright's Creek, which was then called Bird Island Creek. Around 1800 he built a 22 foot-high mill dam at the head of tide on the creek, and went on to build a saw mill, grist mill and . . . — Map (db m140303) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Apothecaries Hall
On Queen Street at Grafton Street, on the right when traveling south on Queen Street.
English: On December 24, 1810, Thomas Desbrisay Jr. opened an apothecary shop on this site to supply drugs and medicine to the people of Prince Edward Island. Until then, many Islanders relied more on home remedies or obtained medicines . . . — Map (db m80262) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Canadian National HotelsRodd Hotels & Resorts
On Kent Street just from Pownal Street, on the left when traveling east.
This marker is composed of two plaques on either side of the entrance. In 1930, the Canadian National Railway (CNR) decided to build a hotel in Charlottetown, Railway hotels were the standard of comfort and service, but the new Canadian . . . — Map (db m80227) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Carvell Building
On Queen Street just from Water Street, on the right when traveling north.
named for the Carvell family who operated a wholesale business on this site during the mid 1800s — Map (db m80202) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — CharlottetownPrince Edward Island
On Kent Street near Queen Street, on the left when traveling east.
Samuel Holland Report Sept 14, 1767 The Capital is to be called Charlotte Town is proposed to be built on a point of the harbor of Port Joy, betwixt York and Hillsborough Rivers, as being one of the best, and nearly central Parts of the . . . — Map (db m80229) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Charlottetown City HallHotel de ville de Charlottetown
On Queen Street near Kent Street, on the right when traveling south.
English: Built in 1888, the Charlottetown City Hall is the oldest municipal hall in Prince Edward Island. Designed by Phillips and Chappell in the Romanesque Revival style often favoured for 19th-century civic buildings, it originally . . . — Map (db m80230) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Colonel John Hamilton Gray1811 - 1887
On Richmond Street just from Great George Street.
English: Born in Charlottetown, a Father of Confederation, Gray served in the Imperial cavalry (1831-52) before entering politics. Elected in 1858 to represent Queen's County, he served as Premier of the province (1863-65) and played a . . . — Map (db m80269) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Confederation Centre of the ArtsCentre de Arts de la Confédération
On Grafton Street at Queen Street, on the right when traveling east on Grafton Street.
English: Opened by Her Majesty the Queen in 1964 as Canada's National Memorial to the Fathers of Confederation, the Centre is an outstanding example of an institution dedicated to the arts. The extensive cultural complex includes a . . . — Map (db m80264) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Dundas Terrace
On Water Street at Haviland Street on Water Street.
English: This apartment building, completed in 1890, is a handsome example of the Queen Anne Revival in Canada. Admired for its picturesque qualities, this style was popular in Canadian domestic architecture from the 1880s to the 1910s. As . . . — Map (db m80207) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Edward Palmer1809 - 1889
Near Richmond Street just from Great George Street.
English: Born in Charlottetown and called to the bar in 1831, Palmer was a member of the legislature (1835-60), and of the Legislative Council (1860-73). Between 1848 and 1873 he held several cabinet posts, including that of President of . . . — Map (db m80270) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Edward Whelan1824 - 1867
Near Richmond Street just from Great George Street.
English: Born in Ireland, Whelan immigrated to Halifax c. 1836 and became a protégé of Joseph Howe. As a journalist in Charlottetown be published the short- lived Palladium in 1845, became editor of the Morning News in 1846, . . . — Map (db m80266) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — George Coles1810 - 1875
Near Richmond Street near Great George Street.
English: A native Prince Edward Islander, Coles, first elected in 1842, represented the constituency of Queen's in the House of Assembly of the Island until his retirement because of ill health in 1868. Co-founder, with Edward Whelan, of . . . — Map (db m80273) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Great George Street Historic DistrictL’arrondissement Historique de la rue Great George
On Great George Street, in the median.
English: Great George Street is richly evocative of both its 18th-century origins and its subsequent development as one of Charlottetown's principal streets. Clearly focused to Province House, the seat of Island government and the . . . — Map (db m80200) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Heralded Arrival… of the CircusL’arrivée tant attendue… du cirque
On Great George Street just from Water Street, on the left when traveling south.
English: When a large steamer anchored in Charlottetown Harbour in 1864, few took notice of it or the politicians aboard. Charlottetown was preoccupied with another visitor to its little town: the circus. Drawing huge crowds and filling . . . — Map (db m80199) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Hillsborough BridgeCharlottetown, Prince Edward Island
On Water Street just from Prince Street.
The first Hillsborough Bridge was constructed as a railway link to the southeastern part of the Island, although it was also a carriage bridge, too. The steel structure consisted of 12 spans. To facilitate river traffic it had a swing span over the . . . — Map (db m80184) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Paardeberg
On Richmond Street just from Great George Street, on the left when traveling east.
Side A: Roland Taylor • Alfred Riggs Feb. 18th • Feb. 27th 1900 Side B: To the men of the Royal Canadian Regiment who by their valour and efficiency have made manifest to the world Canada’s . . . — Map (db m80281) WM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Peake House
On Water Street just from Queen Street, on the left when traveling west.
named for James Peake, a prominent shipbuilder and merchant who lived in this building during the mid 1800s — Map (db m80204) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Prince Edward Island War Memorial
On Grafton Street just from University Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Side A Erected by the Citizens of Charlottetown in memory of those from Prince Edward Island who gloriously laid down their lives in the Great War in honour forevermore of all who served therein 1914 - 1918 1939 - 1945 . . . — Map (db m80280) WM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Province House
Near Richmond Street just from Great George Street, on the right.
English Completed in 1847, this neo-classical building was designed and built by local architect Isaac Smith to accommodate the provincial legislature and administrative offices. It also housed the Island's Supreme Court until 1872. . . . — Map (db m80282) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Railway Brass ShopAtelier de cuivre du chemin de fer
Near Water Street just from Hillsborough Street, on the left when traveling east.
English: Built in 1876, this Island sandstone building was originally the office of the mechanical branch of the Prince Edward Island Railway. Later, it became the brass shop where brass parts required by the railway were fabricated. The . . . — Map (db m80182) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Railway Car ShopAtelier des wagons du chemin de fer
On Prince Street just from Water Street, on the right when traveling south.
English: On November 30, 1905 fire destroyed several of the wooden manufacturing shops at the Charlottetown rail yard. To reduce the risk of future fires, it was decided to rebuild the shops in brick. E.A. Wallberg of Montreal was the . . . — Map (db m80181) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Sherman M4A2 Medium Battle Tank
On Haviland Street just from Water Street, on the left when traveling south.
294 Sherman tanks were purchased by Canada after World War II and used by the Canadian Army (both Regular and Reserve) from 1946-1972. This is a late production model of the orignal Sherman tank introduced in 1943 that incorporated many . . . — Map (db m80224) HM WM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Sir Louis Henry Davis1845-1924
On Water Street just from Pownal Street, on the left when traveling west.
Born in Charlottetown, Davies studied law at the Inner Temple and was admitted to the bar in 1867. A member of the Legislative Assembly (1872-9) and Premier for the last three years of that period, he defended the rights of tenant farmers while . . . — Map (db m80206) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Survey of the Gulf and River St. LawrenceL’hydrographie du Golfe de du Fleuves Saint-Laurent
Near Great George Street just from Water Street, on the left when traveling south.
English: Between 1827 and 1856 the first complete hydrographic survey of the Gulf and River St. Lawrence was carried out by Captain Henry W. Bayfield and his assistants. From the time of Cartier, French and British navigators ad surveyed . . . — Map (db m80198) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — The Gainsford Housec. 1833
On Water Street.
This double tenement, built by John and Elizabeth Gainsford, became a landmark in a city largely built of wood. It is Charlottetown’s oldest surviving brick building. For many years the east side was the home of John Iags, editor of “The . . . — Map (db m104833) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — The Hillsborough RiverLa rivière Hillsborough — Mimtuka’q Sipu —
On Prince Street just from Water Street, on the left when traveling south.
English: The Hillsborough River watershed, totaling over 350 square kilometres, is the largest river system in Prince Edward Island. As a river highway, it provides a direct link to our rich human heritage, from the Mi’Kmaq who depended on . . . — Map (db m80187) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Thomas Heath Haviland1822 - 1895
Near Richmond Street just from Great George Street.
English: Born in Charlottetown, Haviland was called to the Prince Edward Island bar in 1846. He represented Georgetown in the legislature (1847-70), serving successively as Colonial Secretary, as Speaker, and as Solicitor-Genera1. As a . . . — Map (db m80268) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Threaded Together with Iron and SteelRéunis par le fer et l’acier
On Prince Street near Water Street, on the left when traveling south.
English: The Prince Edward Island Railway brought Islanders together, put them to work, and even made them Canadians. Before the Railway was built on Prince Edward Island you could live within ten miles of another village and hardly . . . — Map (db m80185) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — William Henry Pope1825 - 1879
Near Richmond Street just from Great George Street.
English: Born at Bedeque, Prince Edward Island, Pope was admitted to the bar in 1847, became Colonial Secretary in 1859, was elected to the Legislative Assembly representing Queen's County in 1863 and continued to serve in the Assembly . . . — Map (db m80272) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), New London — Lucy Maud Montgomery Birthplace
On Grahams Road (Prince Edward Island Route 20) at Prince Edward Island Route 6, on the right when traveling north on Grahams Road.
Lucy Maud Montgomery, daughter of Hugh John Montgomery and Clara Woolner MacNeill, was born in this house on November 30, 1874. — Map (db m138186) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), North Rustico — North Rustico War Memorial
On Cavendish Road (Prince Edward Island Route 6) at Church Hill Road, on the left when traveling east on Cavendish Road.
Dedicated to the men and women of this community who served their country in World War 1, World War II, and the Korean War and in grateful tribute to those who made the supreme sacrifice. W.W. II W.O. II Fredrick L. Bulman Pte. . . . — Map (db m139243) WM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — Port-la-Joye – Fort Amherst
Near Haché Gallant Drive 1.2 kilometers east of Prince Edward Island Route 19, on the left when traveling east.
English: From 1720 to 1768 this site was an important colonial base, first for France and later Great Britain. One of the first permanent French settlements on the island, Port-la-Joye served as the seat of colonial government for . . . — Map (db m139447) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — Survey of Prince Edward Island / Arpentage de Ľîle-du-Prince-Édouard
On Prince Edward Island Route 19 just south of Rogers Passage Lane, on the left when traveling south.
English: In 1764 the British government decided to undertake a systematic survey of its North American territory, recently enlarged in the war with France. For this purpose Captain Samuel Holland was put in charge of the northern . . . — Map (db m139436) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — The Deportation of the Inhabitants of Île Saint-JeanLa Déportation Des Habitants de L’île Saint-Jean
Near Haché Gallant Drive 1.2 kilometers east of Prince Edward Island Route 19, on the left when traveling east.
English: Undertaken here in 1758, this expulsion was one of the largest and the deadliest of the Acadian deportations that took place between 1755 and 1762. As part of a strategy to dismantle the French colony of Île Saint-Jean . . . — Map (db m139446) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — The Grand DérangementÎle Saint-Jean
Near Hache Gallant Drive just from Blockhouse Road, on the left when traveling east.
English: The Grand Dérangement L’Acadie, established by France in 1604, was a strategically located and highly coveted colony. In 1713, it was handed over to England and renamed Nova Scotia. The foundation of Halifax, in 1749, . . . — Map (db m80437) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Springbrook — Rev. John Geddie D.D.1815-1872
On Prince Edward Island Route 20 0.5 kilometers south of Prince Edward Island Route 234, on the left when traveling north.
Minister of Cavendish and New London Churches 1838 - 1845. First missionary sent out to any foreign field by the Presbyterian Church in Canada — Map (db m140157) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Springbrook — Springbrook First World War Memorial
On Prince Edward Island Route 20 0.5 kilometers south of Prince Edward Island Route 234, on the left when traveling north.
Built of a people’s love to the memory of our glorious dead Pte Archibald Campbell, 6th Can. M. Rifles. Apr. 12, 1898-June 2 1916 Killed in action in France Gr. Arthur P. Johnstone, 2nd Can. Siege Batty. June 10, . . . — Map (db m140108) WM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Springbrook — Springbrook World War II Memorial
On Prince Edward Island Route 20 0.5 kilometers south of Prince Edward Island Route 234, on the left when traveling north.
Dedicated To The Memory Of Our Youth Who Served In World War II Sgt. Elmer S. Macleod 1915 - 1944 Killed In Italy W.O.2 Allison F.W. Macleod 1920 – 1943 Missing In Malta Pte. W. Wallace Bernard 1904 -1945 Died . . . — Map (db m140158) WM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Wood Islands — The Wood Islands Family of Lighthouses
Near Lighthouse Road.
The three buildings on this site represent a "family” and all were once navigational aids. The lighthouse beacon is still maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard as part of the marine communication system used by ship traffic in the . . . — Map (db m138223) HM

86 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement