Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Collin County Texas Historical Markers

 
Allen Cemetery image, Touch for more information
By Mark Reynolds, June 14, 2011
Allen Cemetery
Texas (Collin County), Allen — 123 — Allen Cemetery
Located on land purchased from Mr. and Mrs. John W. Whisenant, this cemetery was formally established on April 5, 1884, by the International Order of Odd Fellows, local lodge No. 249. Encompassing almost three acres of land, the cemetery has served . . . — Map (db m43407) HM
Texas (Collin County), Allen — Stone Dam at Allen Station
In 1874, the Houston and Texas Central Railway Company was expanding north from Houston to Denison, Texas. Water stops were necessary along the route at 7 - 10 mile intervals to keep the steam locomotives going. At this location Irish immigrants . . . — Map (db m43406) HM
Texas (Collin County), Anna — 930 — Coffman Cemetery
This cemetery, which dates to the mid-19th century, is on land donated by early settler John Coffman (1804-1880). His son, George W. Coffman (1840-1913), owned and operated a homestead one mile west of this site. The oldest marked grave dates to . . . — Map (db m72897) HM
Texas (Collin County), Anna — 16694 — Mantua
On February 23, 1854, William C. McKinney, James W. Throckmorton, John A. Throckmorton, and Joseph Wilcox set aside twenty-five acres for the town of Mantua, which was conceived as a site for Mantua Seminary. Proceeds from the sale of town lots . . . — Map (db m72900) HM
Texas (Collin County), Dallas — 18081 — Frankford
The site of the former town of Frankford consists of the three-acre wagon yard, five-acre Frankford Church area and three-acre cemetery. The town of Frankford grew around Indian Springs after W.C. McKamy and his family moved to Texas in 1852. They . . . — Map (db m93072) HM
Texas (Collin County), McKinney — 950 — Collin County Prison
Designed by F.E. Ruffini, architect of numerous public buildings in Texas in the late 19th century, this High Victorian Italianate structure served as the Collin County prison for 99 years. Completed in 1880, it was modified in 1938 with funds . . . — Map (db m142823) HM
Texas (Collin County), McKinney — 6214 — Governor James Webb Throckmorton(February 1, 1825 - April 21, 1894)
A doctor's son, James W. Throckmorton was born in Tennessee. He migrated with his parents to the Texas frontier in 1841 and settled near this site. At age 17, he became hunter and scout for his pioneer neighbors. He served in the Mexican War . . . — Map (db m150245) HM
Texas (Collin County), McKinney — 6191 — Pecan Grove Memorial Park
This park is situated on property granted by the Republic of Texas to Samuel McFarland in 1845, only four years after the first permanent settlement in this area was begun by a pioneer from Tennessee, Dr. William E. Throckmorton (1795-1843), and . . . — Map (db m150247) HM
Texas (Collin County), McKinney — 1465 — Site of Elm Saloon
The Elm Saloon opened about 1883 in a 2-story frame building at this site owned by T.O. Bower. According to an 1884 newspaper story gunfighter Frank James was arrested for his involvement in a fight in the Elm Saloon. By 1892 the saloon, named for . . . — Map (db m150197) HM
Texas (Collin County), Plano — 1715 — First Christian Church of Plano
Kentucky natives William and Ruth Forman moved to Texas in 1846, and acquired land that included the future location of Plano. The Formans' daughter Letitia married George Barnett in 1853. The Barnetts bought land northwest of Plano along Spring . . . — Map (db m131505) HM
Texas (Collin County), Plano — 17669 — Mathews General Store
This was one of several brick buildings erected on Mechanic Street after an October 1895 fire. S. J. And Nancy Mathews came to Plano in 1893 and opened a store across the street before relocating here in 1906. Mathews Department Store sold dry . . . — Map (db m149772) HM
Texas (Collin County), Plano — 13666 — Plano High School and Gymnasium
The Plano Institute opened on this site in 1882 before a public school system existed in Plano. In 1891, city officials bought the school and took over operations. Later schools built here included one in 1924 which became the core of the current . . . — Map (db m138457) HM
Texas (Collin County), Plano — 6194 — Plano National Bank/I.O.O.F. Lodge Building
After a building they shared was destroyed by fire in 1895, the Plano National Bank (est. 1887) and the I.O.O.F. (Odd Fellows) Lodge (est. 1870) erected this commercial building here in 1896. In 1936 the structure was redesigned by . . . — Map (db m149947) HM
Texas (Collin County), Plano — 6210 — Texas Electric Railway Station
Built in 1908 by the Texas Traction Company (Texas Electric Railway after a merger in 1917), this station served passengers and freight customers of the company's North Texas routes. The wood frame passenger depot and the attached brick . . . — Map (db m94724) HM
Texas (Collin County), Princeton — 6222 — Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp
Here in 1941, with the Hon. Sam Rayburn, Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, in attendance, a migratory labor camp was dedicated. With the coming of World War II later in the decade, however, Federal officials converted the site for use . . . — Map (db m150147) HM
Texas (Collin County), Richardson — 6738 — Hill-Robberson House
Early Richardson settler A. H. Hill built this home about 1887 at 206 Sherman Street, on what had been railroad property. In 1902 it was purchased by Margaret A. Robberson for her daughter Virginia Bell Robberson (1870-1940). Known as "Miss Belle", . . . — Map (db m149090) HM
Texas (Collin County), Westminister — 1464 — Elm Grove Cemetery
Members of the pioneer Roland family, natives of Alabama, settled here in the 1830s. Land at this site was part of a Republic of Texas land grant awarded to family members in recognition of the military service of John Roland, who was killed . . . — Map (db m146924) HM

17 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
May. 25, 2020