Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Oklahoma Historical Society Historical Markers

Markers administered by the Oklahoma Historical Society.
 
Middle Boggy Battle Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Manning, March 27, 2013
Middle Boggy Battle Marker
Oklahoma (Atoka County), Atoka — Middle Boggy Battle On this site lie Confederate Soldiers who died in battle, February 13, 1863
The Confederate Encampment here at Middle (or Muddy) Boggy Crossing on the Boggy Depot Road held by Lieut. Col. John Jumper's Seminole Battalion, Capt. Adam Nail's Company A of First Choctaw and Chickasaw Cavalry and a detachment of the Twentieth . . . — Map (db m70626) HM
Oklahoma (Atoka County), Stringtown — Stringtown Shootout
Near this place on Aug. 5, 1932, Atoka County Sheriff C.G. Maxwell and Deputy Sheriff Eugene Moore were involved in a shoot-out with Clyde Barrow, Raymond Hamilton, and Everett Milligan. The incident occurred when the two lawmen tried to arrest the . . . — Map (db m64070) HM
Oklahoma (Bryan County), Bokchito — 180 — Chahta Tamaha
Armstrong Academy, established by Choctaw Nation and named for Wm. Armstrong, Indian Agt., was opened in 1845. Rev. R.D. Potts, Supt., under Baptist Miss. Soc. Post Office established Nov., 1850. Confederate Capitol during Civil War. Choctaw . . . — Map (db m77938) HM
Oklahoma (Bryan County), Durant — Chickasaw Trail of Tears
During the late 1830s and early 1840s, Chickasaw Indians removed by the United States Government from Alabama and Mississippi passed near here on their way to a new home in present-day south-central Oklahoma. In 1837 alone, an estimated 6,000 . . . — Map (db m77936) HM
Oklahoma (Bryan County), Durant — 183 — Fort Washita
Site selected and named 1842, by Gen. Zachary Taylor, later Pres. of U.S. Fort established 1842 by 2nd Dragoons, occupied by several rifle, infantry, cavalry, and artillery companies. Built to protect the Chickasaw and Choctaw Indians from the . . . — Map (db m81743) HM
Oklahoma (Bryan County), Durant — General Douglas Hancock Cooper
"Kind and sympathetic by nature, generous to a fault, he was an honest man of noble impulses, and born and bred a gentleman." These were the words of a contemporary of General Douglas Hancock Cooper, C.S.A. Cooper was appointed U.S. Agent to . . . — Map (db m77935) HM
Oklahoma (Bryan County), Kenefic — Nail's Crossing Butterfield Overland Mail
Butterfield Overland Mail site of Nail's CrossingHere was located a stage stand of the Butterfield Overland Mail route, under act of Congress, March 3, 1857. First mail service arrived here in September 1858, enroute to San Francisco, service . . . — Map (db m40707) HM
Oklahoma (Canadian County), El Reno — Fort Reno Old Post about 2 mi. N.
U.S. troops encamped near Cheyenne Agency in Indian uprising 1874. Site s.w. of agency selected by Agt. J.D. Miles and Capt T. Wint, established as permanent post in July, 1875, and named for Gen. Jesse L. Reno who died in action in Battle of . . . — Map (db m39808) HM
Oklahoma (Cherokee County), Park Hill — 66 — Park Hill Press
Established July, 1837, Rev. S.A. Worcester, Supt. Over 25 million pages were printed in Indian languages and in English by 1861. Printers and translators were John F. Wheeler, John W. Candy, Edwin Archer, Stephen Foreman. Near site are graves of . . . — Map (db m52755) HM
Oklahoma (Cherokee County), Park Hill — 67 — Riley's Chapel
First Annual Indian Mission Conference of the Methodist Church was held in Oklahoma at Riley's Chapel, Oct. 23, 1844, Bishop Thomas A. Morris presiding. Conference area was west to the Rocky Mts., east to Ark.-Mo. line. Rev. Thomas Bertholf, . . . — Map (db m52757) HM
Oklahoma (Choctaw County), Fort Towson — Doaksville Noted Town in Indian Territory
This site is at the north end of Main Street, called "Commercial Row," in this town begun in 1831. Name of nearby post office, "Fort Towson," was changed to Doaksville on Nov. 11, 1847. — Map (db m52564) HM
Oklahoma (Choctaw County), Fort Towson — 184 — Fort Towson
Established May, 1824, under command of Col. Matthew Arbuckle to guard this region of Spanish border. Headquarters of Gen. S.B. Maxey, U.S. Army. Abandoned at end of Civil War. In the vicinity, Doaksville was important trading center and one time . . . — Map (db m52576) HM
Oklahoma (Choctaw County), Fort Towson — Fort Towson Landing
The Fort Towson Landing was south of here on the banks of the Red River. Also known as the Public Landing, from 1824 to 1854 it served as a receiving point for soldiers and supplies delivered by keelboats and steamboats. Traders from the Choctaw . . . — Map (db m52578) HM
Oklahoma (Choctaw County), Fort Towson — Stand Watie's Surrender
Here at Doaksville, June 23, 1865, Brigadier General Stand Watie, Cherokee Indian, was the last Confederate General to surrender. — Map (db m52562) HM
Oklahoma (Choctaw County), Fort Towson — Transportation Crossroads
During the early 1800's, present Southeastern Oklahoma was a major transportation crossroads. Roads connected Fort Towson in the Choctaw Nation to military installations to the North, South and West. On the Texas side of the Red River, Jonesboro was . . . — Map (db m52580) HM
Oklahoma (Cimarron County), Wheeless — Fort Nichols 7 mi S.W.
Established in May 1865, by Kit Carson, hero of Valverde and Brig. Gen., New Mexico Volunteers, to guard Santa Fe Trail and furnish escorts for caravans engaged in Santa Fe trade. Santa Fe Trail crossed this highway here and was first traveled by . . . — Map (db m39798) HM
Oklahoma (Comanche County), Lawton — Chief Stumbling Bear Pass
Kiowa Chief Stumbling Bear who signed the Medicine Lodge Treaty, 1867, founded the first permanent settlement on Canyon Creek, southwest of here. First Government-built houses for Indians were erected in the settlement, 1877. — Map (db m108856) HM
Oklahoma (Delaware County), Jay — 155 — Fort Wayne
Established in autumn 1839 by Lt. Col. R.B. Mason and 1st Dragoons, U.S. Army, and named in honor of Gen. “Mad” Anthony Wayne. Abandoned on May 15, 1842. Here in July 1861 Col. Stand Watie established a Confederate army post and . . . — Map (db m99747) HM
Oklahoma (Delaware County), Near Dodge — Stand Watie Degataga Oo-Watee
Stand Watie was only American Indian to attain rank of Brigadier General during Civil War and was last Confederate General to surrender. Born in Georgia, December 12, 1806. He spoke only the Cherokee language until he was twelve years of age. When . . . — Map (db m25557) HM
Oklahoma (Dewey County), Leedey — California Road First Crossed Here 1849
Near here on May 28, 1849, was the camp of a large party of gold seekers en route to California with a military escort under the command of Captain R. B. Marcy. The California Road was used by travelers for over 50 years. East of here about 4 miles . . . — Map (db m39802) HM
Oklahoma (Dewey County), Seiling — Amos Chapman
Famous Civilian Indian Scout for the U.S. Army, was born in 1839 and died in 1925. He was one of the five survivors of the 1874 Buffalo Wallow Fight, and was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his efforts. Chapman married a Cheyenne woman . . . — Map (db m62310) HM
Oklahoma (Garfield County), Bison — Buffalo Springs On the Old Chisholm Trail. 1/3 mi West
From this noted watering place came the name of "Bison," 1 mi. so., "Buffalo Springs" was the camp site of Pat Hennessey and his men just before they were massacred, 7 mi. so., July 4, 1874. Next day, a war band of Indians was stood off by ranchmen . . . — Map (db m39801) HM
Oklahoma (Garfield County), Bison — Run of '89 North Boundary
At the opening of "Old Oklahoma", April 22, 1889, this was the north line for the Run starting at 12 o'clock noon. Prairies and hills in the 2,000,000 acre tract, south, were peopled by tens of thousands, homes were planted and tent cities sprang up . . . — Map (db m39796) HM
Oklahoma (Greer County), Willow — 219 — First Shelterbelt in the United States
During the 1930s severe drought plagued the states in the great plains and deepened the depression. High winds caused dust storms which blackened the sky. In 1934, President Franklin Roosevelt initiated a program to help stabilize the blowing soil . . . — Map (db m39805) HM
Oklahoma (Haskell County), Stigler — 69 — Battle of the J.R. Williams
Site of Civil War naval battle. Confederate Indian forces led by Brig. Gen. Stand Watie, forced aground and captured Union Steamboat J.R. Williams with cargo worth $120,000, on June 15, 1864. Southern troops included Choctaws, Chickasaws, Creeks and . . . — Map (db m64073) HM
Oklahoma (Haskell County), Stigler — 70 — Tamaha Jail and Ferry Landing
One of the earliest port towns and trading centers in Choctaw Nation, I.T. Choctaws brought from Mississippi up Arkansas River to Tamaha on steamboats as early as 1831. Tamaha developed as port and ferry crossing around 1836. Post office built 1884 . . . — Map (db m76457) HM
Oklahoma (Haskell County), Tamaha — Tamaha Jail and Ferry Landing
Memorial to one of the earliest port towns and trading centers in the Choctaw Nation, I.T. Choctaws brought from Mississippi up Arkansas River to Tamaha on steamboats as early as 1831. Tamaha developed as port and ferry crossing around 1836. Post . . . — Map (db m77875) HM
Oklahoma (Hughes County), Holdenville — Fort Holmes In immediate vicinity
Est., 1834, by Lieut. T.H. Holmes, later Lt. Gen., C.S.A. This post was visited~June, 1834~by Gen. Henry Leavenworth on his expedition to the Plains tribes. Edwards' Store, site 1 mile west of here, was the last trading post until Santa Fe on the . . . — Map (db m64074) HM
Oklahoma (Kay County), Braman — 33 — Oklahoma War Chief
First newspaper printed in the Cherokee Strip, June 14, 1884. Published at tent town of Rock Falls, 2.5 miles N.W. of here by Capt. David L. Payne, leader of Oklahoma "Boomers". Printing office was burned and "Boomers" . . . — Map (db m96589) HM
Oklahoma (Kay County), Chilocco Indian School — 32 — Chilocco Indian School
Academic, agricultural, vocational training for Indian youth from over U.S. Established by Act of Cong. 1882. Jasper M. Hadley 1st Superintendent. Handsome buildings of stone erected, and first pupils - Kiowa, Comanche children - entered Jan. . . . — Map (db m60484) HM
Oklahoma (Kay County), Chilocco Indian School — 34 — Oklahoma, The Indian State
. . . — Map (db m60482) HM
Oklahoma (Kay County), Tonkawa — Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce
"Hear me my Chiefs, I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever." With these words, Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce surrendered to Colonel Nelson A. Miles of the United States Army and thus . . . — Map (db m60427) HM
Oklahoma (Kingfisher County), Kingfisher — Kingfisher
This was the U.S. Land Office site for filing claims at opening of "Old Oklahoma," April 22, 1889; also at opening of Cheyenne and Arapaho lands on April 19, 1892. J. C. Robberts was first Register, and J. V. Admire, first Receiver. First . . . — Map (db m29318) HM
Oklahoma (Kingfisher County), Kingfisher — Kingfisher College
Founded by Congregationalists, this college – site one mile north, 1890- 1922, achieved renown in education and character-building. It lives on at the University of Oklahoma as the Kingfisher College Chair of the Philosophy of Religion . . . — Map (db m72993) HM
Oklahoma (Latimer County), Wilburton — 189 — Bernard de la Harpe 1719
This French Explorer, seeking trade with the Wichita Indians, came north from Louisiana, on August 25, 1719, he camped three miles east of Hartshorne and the next day, following Gains Creek, passed here on his way to the Canadian River and the . . . — Map (db m29928) HM
Oklahoma (Le Flore County), Pocola — 190 — Battle of Backbone Mountain
On Sept. 1, 1863 Confederates under Brig. Gen. W.L. Cabell ambushed a Union force commanded by Maj. Gen. J.G. Blunt, but were driven off after a three hour battle. Later on July 24, 1864, the Choctaw Battalion led by Capt. Jack McCurtain defeated . . . — Map (db m77951) HM
Oklahoma (Le Flore County), Spiro — 191 — Choctaw Agency
Building completed, and Maj. F.C. Armstrong was first agent in 1832. Village became known as Skullyville. Choctaw Nation adopted new constitution in convention here, 1857. Stage station for Overland Mail to San Francisco 1858-61. Leading Choctaws . . . — Map (db m77871) HM
Oklahoma (Le Flore County), Spiro — 192 — Fort Coffee
Established June 16, 1834, by 7th Inf., and named in honor of Gen. John Coffee of Tennessee. Abandoned by U.S. Army in November 1838. In 1842 site selected by Choctaw Council and established as Ft. Coffee Academy for Boys. During Civil War . . . — Map (db m77873) HM
Oklahoma (Le Flore County), Spiro — Skullyville
Skullyville was founded in 1832 while removal of Choctaws to what is now Oklahoma was in process. First Choctaw Agency in the West was established here with Major F.W. Armstrong as agent. The name Skullyville was derived from Choctaw word . . . — Map (db m64486) HM
Oklahoma (Lincoln County), Stroud — Sac & Fox Agency 4 mi. South
Established 1869 on reservation of Sac and Fox Indians who were moved here from Kansas. Reservation land allotted tribal members and surplus opened to White settlement in 1891. Noted members of the tribe include Chief Moses Keokuk, Dr. William . . . — Map (db m41860) HM
Oklahoma (Mayes County), Adair — 159 — Cabin Creek Battlefield
On Sept. 18, 1864, a Confederate force of 2,000, mainly Gen. Stand Watie's Indian Brigade, intercepted a Union supply train enroute from Kansas to Ft. Gibson. The convoy of 130 wagons with supplies worth $1.5 million was captured after a heavy . . . — Map (db m68101) HM
Oklahoma (Mayes County), Ketchum — 151-1995 — Old Military Road
Crossed here: Ft. Gibson (Est. 1824) to Ft. Leavenworth. Two Cabin Creek battles in Civil War fought at old ford 5 mi.; S.W. Ketchum is east 1.5 mi. The first store, 1860, and a stage stand were at Old Sulphur Springs campground near here, N.E. . . . — Map (db m52553) HM
Oklahoma (Mayes County), Locust Grove — 160 — Battle of Locust Grove
Federal troops suddenly attacked a Confederate camp along the ridge near here at dawn, July 2, 1862. The surprised Confederates hardly returned fire before their officers and heavy supplies were captured. Yet hot fighting in the woods lasted all day. — Map (db m52269) HM
Oklahoma (Mayes County), Salina — 158 — Chouteau's Post
Oldest permanent American settlement in the state. Grew out of Chouteau's fur trade at St. Louis, with Osages after they settled this region in 1802 from Missouri. Improvements here in 1817 became residence of Col. A.P. Chouteau, West Point grad. . . . — Map (db m64481) HM
Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Broken Bow — 203 — Military Road - Choctaw Trail of Tears
Cut from Washington, Ark., to Fort Towson in 1831 for removal of Choctaws from Miss., became known as Choctaw Trail of Tears after thousands of suffering Indians used it to reach new lands. Road served as major east-west artery for Choctaw Nation . . . — Map (db m24398) HM
Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Idabel — 200 — Garland Cemetery
Small cemetery nearby contains graves of Choctaw chief Samuel Garland (1862 – 64) and family members including his mother-in-law, Sophie Pitchlynn. Peter Pitchlynn, son of Sophie and John Pitchlynn, was chief 1864 -- 66. Garland migrated from . . . — Map (db m24400) HM
Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Valliant — 196 — Clear Creek Water Mill
Water powered grist mill in operation on Clear Creek early as 1819 by white settlers in old Miller County, Arkansas Territory. New mill built in 1837 by Choctaw Joel Kemp. A later owner, Choctaw John Wilson, replaced crude undershot wheel with . . . — Map (db m24401) HM
Oklahoma (McCurtain County), Valliant — 198 — Elliott Academy
Established here in 1869 as Oak Hill Industrial Academy by Presbyterian Board of Missions as boarding school for children of Choctaw Freedmen. Academy succeeded small school begun in 1860 by ex-slave and Presbyterian Minister Charles W. Stewart to . . . — Map (db m24403) HM
Oklahoma (McIntosh County), Eufaula — Alexander Posey
Birthplace: 2½ miles N.E., 1873 Creek Poet: "Dew and the Bird," "Ode to Sequoyah," and other poems. Columnist: famous "Fus Fixico" letters. Editor, "Muskogee Times" and Eufaula "Indian Journal." Supt. of Creek Orphan School; in charge of . . . — Map (db m73198) HM
Oklahoma (McIntosh County), Eufaula — Green Corn Dance
Greatest ceremonial rite of Creek Indians was Green Corn Dance. It was held at time of year when before corn had fully matured and while grains were soft. Dance was celebration of harvest season and was of intense religious devotion. In . . . — Map (db m64184) HM
Oklahoma (McIntosh County), Rentiesville — Union Soldiers Honey Springs July 17, 1863
"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have fallen in vain" This commemorative marker is dedicated to the memory of the Union soldiers who bravely fought and died here on July 17, 1863. Major General James G. Blunt began moving 3,000 . . . — Map (db m52288) HM
Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Fort Gibson — 237-2000 — Manard
Site of Manard Settlement on Bayou Menard. Named for Pierre Menard (1766-1844. Menard, an early day fur trader, merchant and member of the Chouteau family. Served as the first territorial governor of Illinois. Springs at Manard identified as a . . . — Map (db m52605) HM
Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Haskell — 72 — La Harpe's Council
First peace council and alliance in Oklahoma between a European nation and Indian tribes held here at a Tawakoni village by Comdt Bernard De La Harpe on his first visit to the Arkansas River. He erected a post here carved with the coat-of-arms of . . . — Map (db m77867) HM
Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — 71 — Fort Davis
Established Nov. 1861 by Gen. Albert Pike, C.S. Army. Named for Pres. Jefferson Davis, who had been stationed in the area when a Lieut. U.S. Army. Nearly one million dollares spent on this post by Confederates. In Second Federal Invasion Ft. Davis . . . — Map (db m52277) HM
Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — 73 — State's Earliest Oil Refinery
Muskogee Oil Refining Company, organized in March 1905, built a finishing plant near this site in November, 1904. It soon was producing lamp kerosene, lubricating oil and industrial fuel - the beginning of oil refining in Oklahoma, a leading . . . — Map (db m73123) HM
Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Webbers Falls — 75-1995 — Webbers Falls
Settled in 1829, named for Walter Webber, Western Cherokee Chief, who had a trading post here. Home of "Rich Joe" Vann to 1844, owner of "Lucy Walker," quarter mile race horse, for which he named his Mississippi River steamboat. In Civil War battle, . . . — Map (db m52567) HM
Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Arcadia — 215 — Route 66
Whether motorists called Route 66 the Ozark Trail, the Will Rogers Highway, Main Street America or the Mother Road, all remember Arcadia's Round Barn. The well-known landmark was built in 1898 by W.H. Odor. After the route was designated a . . . — Map (db m52003) HM
Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Arcadia — Washington Irving's Camp

Near here, 1832, Washington Irving hunted wild horses, an exciting event described in his book on his Oklahoma tour as "Ringing the Wild Horse." In party were H. L. Ellsworth, U.S. Comm., Chas. J. Latrobe, English writer, and Swiss Count, . . . — Map (db m83097) HM

Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Luther — 56 — Run of '89 East Boundary -----000-----

At the opening of "Old Oklahoma" April 22, 1889, this was the East Line for the Run starting at 12 o'clock noon. Prairies and hills in the 2,000,000 acre tract, west, were peopled by tens of thousands, homes were planted and tent cities sprang . . . — Map (db m83092) HM

Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma City Oil Field
Oklahoma City Oil and Gas Field Discovery Well brought in December 4, 1928, approximately six miles southeast of this marker. From such beginning, sprawling Oklahoma City Oil and Gas Field became one of world's major oil producing areas, . . . — Map (db m59947) HM
Oklahoma (Okmulgee County), Okmulgee — Creek Capitol
Erected 1878, Ward Coachman, Principal Chief. Creek Nation organized 1867 under written constitution, and Okmulgee named as capital. Noted Chiefs here included Samuel Checote, Joseph Perryman, Isparhecher, Pleasant Porter. “Okmulgee . . . — Map (db m76561) HM
Oklahoma (Okmulgee County), Okmulgee — Samuel Checote Grave 1.9 miles N.W.
This noted Creek leader, b. 1819, Ala., had attended old Asbury Mission before he came to Ind. Ty. He was a Methodist preacher for 32 years until his death, 1884. He served as Lieut. Col. of First Regt. Creek Mounted Vols., C.S.A., during the Civil . . . — Map (db m76604) HM
Oklahoma (Osage County), Pawhuska — Oil in the Osage Indian Nation and the "Million Dollar Elm"

Symbolic of the impact oil had on the people of the Osage Indian Nation is the so-called "Million Dollar Elm." It was given this name because in its shade millions of dollars worth of Osage oil leases were auctioned. It was planted at this site . . . — Map (db m83107) HM

Oklahoma (Osage County), Pawhuska — St. Louis School For Osage Indian Girls 1887 – 1949
One-half mi SW. Est. 1887 by St. Katharine Drexel and Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions, Washington, D.C. Original frame structure located near Main and Palmer burned in 1889, replaced here 1890 by a four-story stone building. Operated by . . . — Map (db m55657) HM
Oklahoma (Osage County), Pawhuska — The Battle of Wooster Mound
Near this site on August 8, 1903, U.S. Deputy Marshal Wiley G. Haines, Chief of Osage Indian Police Warren Bennett, and Constable Henry Majors ended the career of the notorious outlaw gang known as the Martin brothers. The outlaws were wanted for . . . — Map (db m52632) HM
Oklahoma (Osage County), Skiatook — 175 — Hillside Mission
Established by Rev. John Murdock, under auspices of Friends Society, 1882. This noted school was attended by both Indian and white children. In this vicinity, was home of Wm. C. Rogers, last elected principle chief of Cherokee Nation, 1903 to 1917. . . . — Map (db m7356) HM
Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Miami — Coleman Theatre

The Coleman Theatre, built in 1929 as a vaudeville/movie theater palace, has hosted many legendary performers. Never closed, it holds the original Mighty Wurlitzer Pipe Organ that has entertained generations. Programs and acts of all types are . . . — Map (db m80594) HM

Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Miami — Gateway Sign

A replica of a sign originally constructed in the 1900's that spanned Central and C Street adjacent to the railroad station. For many years this sign welcomed visitors to downtown Miami. The original sign was removed during the 1930's. Today's . . . — Map (db m80591) HM

Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Quapaw — 164 — Entering Indian Territory
In 1833, this area ceded Quapaw Tribe by U.S. Lands near granted Indians of 20 Tribes including Seneca, Shawnee, Peoria, Miami, Ottawa, Wyandot. Wealth came to the Quapaw and other Indians here, from discovery of lead and zinc mines beginning in . . . — Map (db m77948) HM
Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Wyandotte — Modoc Church and Cemetery

The Modoc Church and Cemetery, the last remaining site commemorating the 153 Modoc prisoners of war exiled to the Quapaw Agency, Indian Territory in 1873. — Map (db m80586) HM

Oklahoma (Payne County), Ingalls — Outlaw Battle Site about 1 miles S.E.
A battle at Ingalls, Sept. 1, 1893, between a Dalton-Doolin gang and U.S. marshals was a climax in bringing law and order to Oklahoma and Indian territories. Three marshals and two residents were killed; several persons were wounded; one outlaw was . . . — Map (db m52624) HM
Oklahoma (Pittsburg County), Savanna — 212 — Dr. J. E. Wright
J.E. Wright, D.D.S., opened first permanent dental office in the Indian Territory, Savanna, 1885. He practiced as itinerant dentist at Tishomingo Academy, Stonewall, Johnsonville, and White Bead Hill before settling in Savanna. Moved to South . . . — Map (db m26088) HM
Oklahoma (Pontotoc County), Allen — Osage Village
Occupied 1834 by Chief Black Dog's Osage band on buffalo hunt. Gen. Henry Leavenworth and the First Dragoons, including officers Henry Dodge, S.W. Kearney, R.B. Mason, Jefferson Davis, Nathan Boone, and noted artist, George Catlin, camped here June . . . — Map (db m64130) HM
Oklahoma (Roger Mills County), Cheyenne — Battle of the Washita 2 mi. West
Nov. 27, 1868, Col. George A. Custer, commanding 7th Cavalry, attacked the Cheyenne village of Chief Black Kettle. 153 Cheyenne casualties, and 34 U.S. troops killed or wounded. Among the killed was Capt. L.M. Hamilton, grandson of Alexander . . . — Map (db m11573) HM
Oklahoma (Rogers County), Claremore — 169-1995 — Claremore Mound
Site of battle in "Strawberry Moon" 1817, when Chief Clermont's Osage village was wiped out by Cherokees. This Osage band from Missouri had settled near the mound at insistence of fur traders of St. Louis. Osages became the wealthiest Indians in . . . — Map (db m40995) HM
Oklahoma (Rogers County), Foyil — 1928 Route 66 Footrace
Andrew Hartley Payne, a 1927 graduate of Foyil, won the 1928 transcontinental footrace, LA-NYC, a 3423.5 mi. world record in 573 hr 4 min & 34 sec. Andy "Greatest Long Distance Runner in History of Competitive Running" won in the 880 & mile . . . — Map (db m67809) HM
Oklahoma (Rogers County), Talala — Oklahoma's First Waterflood
Injection of water into an oil reservoir to increase recovery was first attempted in Oklahoma on an oil lease 5.8 miles east of this location.

From that effort, a recovery method previously used in eastern fields was adapted to conditions found . . . — Map (db m43783) HM

Oklahoma (Texas County), Guymon — Panhandle Area Natural Gas
The largest individual gas reserve in the United States covers much of the Oklahoma panhandle extending northward from Texas through this area and into Kansas this sprawling Hugoton Panhandle field provides gas to comfort mankind fire the boilers of . . . — Map (db m78818) HM
Oklahoma (Texas County), Tyrone — Shade's Well Site two miles south
From this famous well, cattlemen watered their herds of thousands of stock while waiting shipment over the Rock Island Railroad, after long trail drives to the end of the track near old Tyrone. The well was located by J. U. Shade and H. B. Fore in . . . — Map (db m55271) HM
Oklahoma (Tulsa County), Mannford — 173 — Battle of Round Mountain
This first battle of the Civil War in Indian Territory began 6 miles south, Nov. 19, 1861, when Col. D.H. Cooper's Confederate vanguard was repulsed by Little Captain's warriors from Opothleyahola's Indian allies moving to north of the Ark. River to . . . — Map (db m52261) HM
Oklahoma (Tulsa County), Skiatook — 167 — Battle of Chustenahlah
This site, 3.5 miles N.W. is where Col. Jas. McIntosh, 2nd Ark. Mtd. Rifles, routed Loyal Union Indian forces, Dec. 26, 1861. The battle started with fire from the Indian line on Patriot's Hill, 2 Mi. S.W. The Loyal Indians finally fled into Kansas. — Map (db m52264) HM
Oklahoma (Tulsa County), Tulsa — First Oil Well in Tulsa County
First oil well in Tulsa County, completed on June 25, 1901 .4 mi west by Drs. J.C.W. Bland and Fred S. Clinton. This well brought first nation wide publicity and oil boom to Indian Ter. Rapid industrial development made Tulsa "Oil Capital of the . . . — Map (db m34129) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Coweta — 83 — Koweta Mission
Creek Indian school founded by Rev. R. M. Loughridge, Presbyterian Bd Foreign Miss. 1843. Coweta, ancient Creek town in Alabama, re-established in this vicinity by Creeks who arrived Ft. Gibson on steamboat, "Facility," 1828. This was home town . . . — Map (db m68058) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Porter — 82 — Chief Pushmataha
Choctaw Indians made hunting expedition from Mississippi to this region, Jan. 1807, led by famous Chief Pushmataha. Camped east on Verdigris River was Joseph Bogy, French trader among Osages, whose armed men engaged Pushmataha's band in battle . . . — Map (db m73126) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Porter — 85 — Tullahassee Mission
This Creek Indian school was founded by Rev. R.M. Loughridge, Presbyterian Bd. [Board] Foreign Miss. [Missions], 1848. Rev. W.S. Robertson was employed as the supt. Rebuilt by Creeks when destroyed by fire in 1880. Operated until 1907 for . . . — Map (db m73128) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Porter — 84 — Wigwam Neosho
Was trading post in 1829-33, named and conducted by ex-Gov. Sam Houston of Tenn., who was called Colonah (The Raven) by his Cherokee friends. As a celebrity in the Indian Ter., Houston was visited by the American author, Washington Irving who . . . — Map (db m73125) HM
Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Wagoner — 226 — Wagoner
Became Indian Territory's first incorporated town Jan. 4, 1896 under Mansfield's Digest of the Laws of Arkansas. The citizens (about 2,000) sought to form a city government to provide improvements and the upbuilding of society. Wagoner began . . . — Map (db m68059) HM
Oklahoma (Woodward County), Fort Supply — Camp Supply Near here North
Established Nov. 1868 by Gen. Alfred Sully with 5 companies of 3rd Inf. This was the supply base for Col. Custer's 7th Cav. Here, Dec. 2, 1868, Gen. Sheridan received Custer returning from the Battle of the Washita. Name changed to Ft. Supply 1889. . . . — Map (db m39803) HM

88 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement